User Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim

Also known as: Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Bactrim IV, Bactrim Pediatric, Bethaprim, Bethaprim Pediatric, Co-trimoxazole, Cotrim, Cotrim DS, Cotrim Pediatric, Septra, Septra DS, Septra IV, SMZ-TMP DS, Sulfatrim, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim.

Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim Review Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim to treat Sinusitis

"I was prescribed this medication for a sinus/ear infection. Within a few days of taking it I could finally breathe and begin to hear again. But I had also developed severe nausea, migraines, and loss of appetite. I have also suffered bouts of extreme fatigue and dizziness that have led to me nearly passing out. And on top of all that I broke out in an awful red, itchy rash all over my chest, neck, and face. This medication is terrible. I have never reacted to anything this way."

Gabbyjr (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "At first, I found myself with more energy and simply lost my appetite, which didn't bother me. Then, the second day, I suffered nausea and vomiting. I discontinued the medicine on the second day, but the nausea and vomiting continue."

quickdigits (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took medication with the warning that it needed to be taken with "plenty of water". Woke up in the middle of the night with a severe headache and went back to sleep. Woke up in the morning for work and had debilitating nausea. I really hope this is just a temporary thing and I don't have to do this every time i take it."

SarahGabriella (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took this for four and a half days. I experienced complete appetite loss, nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, and anxiety. I had blood work done before I took the Bactrim and when I got my results back it turned out I didn't have a bacterial infection at all. All that for nothing. I still haven't completely recovered my appetite and it has been almost a week since my last dose."

Telewit8530 January 29, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "The pressure in my head is gone but I have been getting extreme nausea and fatigue since I started it 5 days ago."

hfriedlund (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2015

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Usually clears up any infections but does sometimes cause extreme nausea and yeast infection."

Sldrwfe (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2014

SMZ-TMP DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Taking this for sinusitis. I am an adilt taking in suspension, as I have trouble swallowing pills. It says grape and is purple in color but it tastes terrible. "

jszaradowski (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "My body responds to sulfur products. After two days on Bactrim I noticed a difference. By the 4th day I was back to myself. It really helped me."

Fuss box (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2014

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I have been taking Bactrim for sinusitis around a week. I have developed painful sores on my tongue that are not visible to the eye. My mouth itches and burns terribly. It worked for my underlining condition but this side effect is unbearable."

Meggy 5000 March 8, 2014

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I've been on it for 6 days now and I feel the same as I did before. This is my first time taking it for a sinus infection. I guess it doesn't work for me."

nickname December 16, 2013

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Took one dose of Bactrim for sinusitis/bronchitis and 3 hours later face was red. 1 hour following, my face, arms and hands broke out into hives. Had to discontinue and call doc."

shellierh November 15, 2013

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I took Bactrim DS after the first antibiotic didn't work on my sinus infection. I started to feel better after 4 days, however I developed joint pain in my hands and knees. I have arthritis from an autoimmune disease, but it's usually controlled very well by a maintenance medicine. On day 8 I noted lots of swollen glands in my neck and a slight temp. After I took my antibiotic that night my fever shot up to 103, I was shaking, teeth chattering, with severe joint/muscle pain, my face looked sunburned, and my body was red/blotchy. I stopped the Bactrim, but the fever lasted 2-3 days, the arthritis was severe for about a week and I still have fatigue. Good news is ENT did recheck and infection is gone."

suzykale January 25, 2012

"I currently have an inner ear blockage from blowing my nose too hard. I have been on Sulfamethoxazole for 5 days. Still have the blockage and mucky junk in my nose. Doesn't seem to have done anything so far. "

Anonymous November 7, 2011

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Great antibiotic, cleared away my sinusitis, however been an insomniac for the past couple of days."

Anonymous August 30, 2011

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "It always gets the job done soon when you first start taking the medication."

Anonymous February 9, 2010

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "I was given the generic Bactrim for a sinus infection. After 4 days, I couldn't stop vomiting and having diarrhea for 3 days. Almost went to the hospital. It seemed to be making me feel better until the side effects kicked in. I had to stop the medication."

Anonymous February 4, 2010

"Used this for sinusitis, cleared it within 36 hours. No side effects noted at all. Took the full course with no problems. Have used this drug for Strep as well and it worked well with no side effects."

scaryfencer June 27, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Was prescribed Bactrim for combination of sinusitis and a urinary tract infection. After two pills I got a yeast infection. Not sure the medication is working to make me feel better or not."

itchmonster May 3, 2009

Bactrim DS (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Works okay after a couple of days with no side efects, but everybody is different."

Anonymous February 9, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "Horrible headache and stomach ache. Had to discontinue."

Anonymous February 3, 2009

Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim): "After three days of perscribed use of the generic bactrim, my headaches and nasal discharge have decrease dramatically. Side Effects, insomnia (reason I am writing this review), pain in jaw and throat if not taken with ample water."

Cigma July 14, 2008