User Reviews for Bactrim DS

Learn more about Bactrim DS.

Bactrim DS review summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Acne

Review by missjess90:

I am 24 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for the past year. I turned into a hermit. I tried a few things with my GP- changed my pill to Estelle- waited 3 months but nothing changed, it only worsened, tried many many many face washes, was prescribed Eryacne and doxycycline, which helped for a short period of time until it came back. I had had enough and decided to get a referral to a dermatologist- I wish I had done this sooner! He gave me Bactrim, which I was to take twice a day for 2 months as well as Epiduo gel. This combination was my saviour! I am now down to 1 tablet a day for another 2 months using Epiduo every second night. This is amazing and cleared up my acne but it does make you VERY sensitive to the sun.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by LnnVo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had mild to severe back acne with constant breakouts on my chest and face. My dermotologist prescribed me this specifically for my back acne but thank goodness it cleared up my face and chest! Before on a scale of 1-10 my face and chest were around a 7 but after being on the medication it's now a 1. My face/chest is now flawless and my back is now only left with scars. My back acne was extremely terrible but after using the medication for a few months, it stopped the breakouts and gave time for my skin to heal. I've used this medication for a little over one year now and I do admit you have to be patient with the medicine. As long as you don't pick and touch your problem spots then it should work nicely. I experienced nausea every morning when I take the medication and a loss in appetite but it's not that bad.

June 30, 2014 9:30 AM

Review by Hartmaa (taken for less than 1 month):

Works quite well for me. I have been on every med ever and even Accutane 3 times with no success. I have severe acne and simultaneous all over skin infection. 2 things- dairy if any kind sets it off and it's so much worse. Avoid dairy like the plague. 2- depends on how you skin is infected.my skin gets affected very often with Staph and so Bactrim and Keflex work really well. For people with p. Aches bacteria - erthromycin is awesome. But the sad fact is that over time it won't work as bacteria becomes resistant. I am seeing endocrinologist to find out what foods I am eating that seem to cause my body to make excess hormones and attack my skin. Best of luck all! Don't know what I'll do once I'm off Bactrim. I feel great and zero side effect

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 5:45 AM

Review by mustang500:

I had a liver transplant and was prescribed this medication as an ongoing treatment to combat bacterial infections that may occur due to being on immunosuppressants. I stopped taking it after one year but then experienced significant acne on my head and chest. I will resume this medication as obviously it has helped.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 9:06 PM

Review by ktbaby94:

My derm put me on this medicine after trying another. I break out on my chest, and once I started taking the medicine it cleared up in about two weeks. I haven't experienced any side effects!

November 3, 2013 8:14 PM

Review by sonya2785:

Excellent

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2013 12:18 AM

Review by Mandyc1994 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking this medicine for a week and my pimples are significantly smaller, which is a plus because I've had severe acne for 3 years now. The only problem is that it gives me insomnia, sweats, headaches in the mornings, stomach sickness, and nausea. The side effects are brutal, and I'm considering finding another solution. This is the third acne medicine I've tried and has helped the most, but also affected me the most negatively.

December 27, 2012 11:47 AM

I have used this for about 3 wks now and I have more pimples now then when I started. The only thing I have noticed is that pimples are not as large when I am on this. I am going to keep at it for a few more weeks to see what happens. I have had this same response on other antibiotics

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2011 9:28 PM

Review by Dia28:

I've been using Bactrim DS for the past 2 months now, and it has definitely cleared up my skin. I plan on using it for another 4 months, and then switching to another antibiotics if need be so I don't build immunity to it.

January 26, 2011 12:42 PM

I've been using this product for a little over a week now and already my skin is clearing up! I've dealt with acne and post-acne scarring for about 3 years now. I am 16 and I'm so glad i found something thats working! I used it along with finacea (azelaic acid) and my skin just keeps improving!

June 3, 2008 9:22 PM