User Reviews for Carafate

Learn more about Carafate.

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis 1 reviews 28 medications

Duodenal Ulcer 6 reviews 139 medications

9.5
GERD 6 reviews 208 medications

6.7
Stomach Ulcer 4 reviews 110 medications

6.6
Duodenal Ulcer Prophylaxis 0 reviews 42 medications Not rated - Be the first
Hyperphosphatemia of Renal Failure 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Stomatitis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carafate reviews 17 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Carafate

For GERD "GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking."

tellitlikeitis (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2015

For GERD "I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD."

B040289 February 9, 2015

For GERD "I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months."

SmokyMtnLady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer "Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer."

Shaunaj (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer "Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2013

For Duodenal Ulcer "I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not."

tammykee March 20, 2012

For GERD "Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed."

Anonymous February 13, 2012

For Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis "I was in much discomfort; pain, burning. Felt like I had something caught in my throat. These symptoms all came back just after an Endoscope. We called the Doctor and he prescribed Carafate Suspension. The "fire" was put out immediately. It was so good to feel "NORMAL" again."

Anonymous June 9, 2011

For Duodenal Ulcer "I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning."

Miss Heath December 14, 2010

For Stomach Ulcer "This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down. "

wnbck April 5, 2010

For Duodenal Ulcer "I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch."

YarnCrazy March 1, 2010

For GERD "I have Barrett's Disease. This helps the pain somewhat but doesn't make me feel well or have an appetite. Maybe not compatible with other medicines. "

mfirebrand1 January 28, 2010

For Duodenal Ulcer "It takes a long time to be effective. Don't be surprised that it may take 2 bottles (at 30day supply/ bottle) to get results. Condition will slowly improve. It usually is taken 4 times daily. Easier to do 1 hour before meals than 3 hours after. My schedule 6:30 am, 11 am, 4 pm and then before bed. Be sure to have FULL (8 - 10oz.) glass of water. Otherwise blue pill will cause stool to be DARK GREEN."

Anonymous September 1, 2009

For GERD "I have intense pain along bottom of ribs and this is the second round of Carafate. It has not helped at all. Still in pain. No side effects from taking it though."

pattyrabbit May 6, 2009

For Duodenal Ulcer "I have had pains in my upper abdomen at the center right edge of my ribs, the pain radiates into my back and we are looking to find why. An endoscopy found a little ulcer so they did a biopsy just in case and we are also doing other tests. Anyway I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea."

ldebe March 9, 2009

For Duodenal Ulcer "I had several ulcers the pain was tremendous. After a week in the hospital I was given this medication and others. This medication worked miracles. I wasn't told that if I stopped taking it my ulcer would come back (my ulcers are not from bacteria). They came back and I began the medication again and I am fine now. You must take the medication all the time."

Cynthiajschmitt December 16, 2008

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Stomach Ulcer "Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux."

Anonymous October 27, 2008

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate