Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Carafate

Learn more about Carafate.

Carafate review summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of GERD.

Reviews for Carafate to treat GERD

Review by tellitlikeitis (taken for less than 1 month):

GERD, Esophagitis, and a Hiatal Hernia. Take both Cimetidine and Prilosec daily and was still having heartburn. The emergency room gave me Carafate and it's wonderful. Not only does it stop heartburn in it's tracks, but it also prevents future bouts of heartburn. There are some rules on taking this medication, and those rules can be a bit of a pain if you are not used to them. You cannot take this medication within a half hour of taking any antacids. You also need to take it one hour before or two hours after eating. Swallowing the Carafate pill can be a little bit intimidating as when you swallow it, you get a choking sensation. Make sure to take it with plenty of ice water. Try to numb your throat with cold water prior to taking.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2015 5:49 AM

Review by B040289:

I can almost eat/drink normally now that I'm on Carafate Suspension 4x per day. I only have a flare up 1-2x per month now, mainly when I've been eating poorly or have come into contact with bacteria, etc. I take it in conjunction with Nexium & Librax because I have acid reflux, bile reflux, irritable bowel syndrome and GERD.

February 9, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by SmokyMtnLady (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had terrible stomach/esophagial and mid back pain. After a endoscopic procedure, I was found to have GERD, Barrett's esophagus & a small hiatial hernia. The Carafate & Dexilant worked well to calm down the esophagitis pain/spasms/inflammation. The Barrett's esophagus was detected using pathology and even though it was a very mild case, it is a serious disease and I will need a EGD performed yearly. The Dexilant has worked wonders also. The two medicines are working well together. I have not had any side effects from the Carafate. I take 1/2 to 1 tablet, as needed, up to 4 times/day. I chew it up and swallow with a small sip of water or you can dissolve it in water and drink it. Coats the stomach quicker. I have used it for 6 months.

October 10, 2013 12:28 PM

Face swelled, became red, peeled, and caused intense pain and itching simultaneously; eyes reddened and swelled to the point of almost closing; throat became sore; prednisone pack prescribed.

February 13, 2012 2:12 PM

Review by mfirebrand1:

I have Barrett's Disease. This helps the pain somewhat but doesn't make me feel well or have an appetite. Maybe not compatible with other medicines.

January 28, 2010 6:10 PM

Review by pattyrabbit:

I have intense pain along bottom of ribs and this is the second round of Carafate. It has not helped at all. Still in pain. No side effects from taking it though.

May 6, 2009 1:46 PM