User Reviews for St. john's wort

Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors 1 reviews 5 medications

Depression 9 reviews 75 medications

8.5
Summary of St. john's wort reviews 10 reviews 9.3

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was 10. Since taking St John's wort ( I use karma maximum dose once a day pill, ordered directly online) I have felt a significant improvement in my mood. I am so much calmer, I don't lose my temper as quickly. I feel my mood is much more stable. I continue to drink alcohol which is a depressant, yet I still feel the benefits. I've been taking it for 3 months, I missed a few days, I felt the benefits within 2-3 weeks. My side effects initially lost appetite, itchy skin, headaches and cyclical sore breasts being worse. My libido is the same. My mood has improved 75%. I still get anxious, but it's much more milder. I mainly feel calmer and quieter and clearer in my head. For me, it worked."

KateVoice (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and have been seeing a grief counselor. I have tried 4 different types of antidepressants and couldn't stand being on any one of them for more than a day. This is working. My only side effect is not being able to sleep if I take it late in the day. I've stopped crying and obsessing. I feel calm again for the first time in years. Maybe now I can put back my life back together."

last recourse (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2014

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I use ST. John's Wort with great success when working away at sea to lighten my moods, coming from a family with a big history of mental conditions I'm the only one who refuses to take prescribed medication. This helps me get by, be careful when coming off it because I tend to slip back into the hole once stopped...try to exercise and get lots of fresh air into the lungs when taking it. Avoid alcohol full stop."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I think anytime we read "over the counter" help we are skeptical. I know I was, but my obsessive compulsive disorder/depression was the worst it's been in a while and I had to do something. It works great. I can definitely tell when I don't take it. It's worth it to try."

S_Webb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I have had family history from one side of the family(parent) and after a near death accident at 8yrs old my depression triggered. I've been healed (trust me it was bad) but every human being gets attacks hear and there so I decided to use something more organic. St. John's wort works but my tummy is sensitive to it (300mg 3x day) so I've lessen how many I take or take it every other day. I just like having a long term consistent mood. I've been 1 year fine, never used medicines not even Organics until now. "

depressionfree July 4, 2013

For Depression: "I used the Kira brand of St. John's Wort because it was one of the ones used in the clinical trials done in Europe. While I feel this is a good brand of St. John's Wort, I had side effects from it which prevented me from continuing on it. I had diarrhea, gas and abdominal pain. I was unable to continue on the medication. While I was on it, I did not see any improvement, but I was not on it long enough. Also, I should note that I was only on 300 mg and got this side effect. Perhaps I am very sensitive."

blather123 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2012

For Depression: "With family history of mild depression, I started using St. John's wort over 10 years ago and haven't had any problems with it; however, lately I have been experiencing GERD and found out that there is a drug interaction between Omeprezole (doctor's prescription for GERD) and St. John's Wort."

jb5107 (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2012

For : "One important fact I did not notice in the description is that St. John's Wort is known to decrease the effects of hormonal birth control. Women using birth control who are considering St. John's Wort should either look for alternatives or add other birth control methods like condoms, diaphragms, spermicide, etc. to their routine. And of course, discuss it with your doctor if you are unsure of anything."

Anonymous February 3, 2012

For Depression: "This description helped me assist one of my students."

Anonymous May 5, 2011

For Depression: "I have found this herb to be an invaluable part of self-maintenance. Though I do not always take it, months will go by when I do not feel the need, I have relied on it for over a decade. I come from a family with a history of depression and am one of the few that has never needed an anti-depressant drug. One word of caution: once a bottle of st. john's wort is open, I find that it loses potency with in a month or so. I'd stay away from large bottles, be careful how it's stored and there are other herbs that compliment it nicely: DMAE (not to be confused with the hormone DHEA!), valerian and such. Good luck!"

Anonymous February 6, 2010

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Night Terrors: "I've been taking the HERB (not a drug) St. John's Wort for 18 years. I find it very helpful for moderate depression, and so do millions of people in the U.S., and especially Europe. In fact, in most countries in Europe, it is recommended 8 to 1 over Prozac. "

Irvino June 23, 2009

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate