User Reviews for St. john's wort

Learn more about St. john's wort.

Night Terrors 1 reviews 5 medications

Depression 19 reviews 79 medications

8.7
Summary of St. john's wort reviews 20 reviews 9.3

Reviews for St. john's wort

For Depression: "Without a doubt, St John's Wort works for depression. I have been on 3 different SSRIs and none have had the effect St John's Wort has. It has calmed insesent worrying and has all almost completely recovered a fairly moderate depression. I have had side effects of dry mouth, altered taste, slight tingling and a lowered appetite bit these side effects are much gentler than the sledge hammer side effects I usually get from SSRIs. Overall, a really great herb with fairly amazing mood altering effects."

BT3700 May 10, 2016

For Depression: "Started taking st johns wort 2 weeks ago, i struggle to deal with life changes very well and have very bad anxiety and panic attacks that make leaving the house, being in a car and going to shops very diffucult and sometimes impossible. This then leads to a bout of depressive feelings. I have always said I will never get stuck on anti depressents but have found st johns wort to be great for lifting my mood. Anxiety is still bad at the minute but I put that down to recently seperating from my partner so hope that will ease on its own with time. The only thing I found was that after missing my tablets for two days I collapsed at home whilst on my own with my little boy which was frightening. I had no dizziness but recall feeling very sick."

Jents April 22, 2016

For Depression: "Life has never been easy. I have increasingly suffered from depression and panic attacks over the last few years. It got to the point where it was becoming difficult to leave the house. Constantly on edge, screaming on the inside, crying, feeling ill, feeling overwhelmed. I told my divorce attorney about my panic attacks and she suggested that I start taking st. John's Wort. On my way home from Court I stopped and bought some at Walmart. I just bought a small bottle, money is tight and I just wanted to give it a try. I noticed results after the first dose. This is day number 4. Taking 900 milligrams per day. I haven't felt anxious, on edge, haven't cried and I feel more clear-headed and focused. No side effects as of yet. ; D"

I can laugh again April 15, 2016

For Depression: "Took st john’s wort due to a depression – and it helped. After seven years I stopped when I became sick. Now my mood is more even and I am much happier since I quit. My message is that it helps depression when needed, and makes you slightly depressed when it is not needed."

Adran March 3, 2016

For Depression: "I turned to St. John's wort after I was prescribed anti depressant medication following the breakdown of my marriage. After a few days of taking the prescribed medication I didn't like the way it started to change me as a person and feeling out of control. I turned to St. John's wort after reading details of worldwide clinical trials. I now tend to use when I know I am going to be susceptible to a period of depression and find it really helps. My tip would be to try different brands as they are not all the same!"

Rowly (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Depression: "This herb saved my life. It definitely works. I was diagnosed with depression and I wanted to try these before going on Lexapro. Before I was having suicidal thoughts, was crying all the time and didn%u2019t want to do anything. It made me feel more optimistic and happy. I found myself laughing again and wanting to do things. I found pleasure again in the little things and gave me hope to end depression. It works fast, in about a week. I did not have any side effects when stopping using. While using it, my eyes became sensitive to light though, it felt like it took them longer to adjust to light changes and it %u201Churt%u201D if lights flashed at me. However this was totally acceptable for me since I regained joy in life!"

depressed girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2015

For Depression: "I started taking saint John wort a week ago. I have bad anxiety with slight depression, but its being looked into if thus could be PTSD as I have flash backs, fear of leaving the house alone, a lot of trouble sleeping, mild panic attacks the list goes on. Anyway, I have been sleeping easier without that groggy drugged feeling you get with sleeping tablets. I have been calmer and for 5 days haven't felt overwhelmed with fear. I have been relaxed enough to go to the shop alone. I don't feel as down. I've also been taking b12 in the morning so have a bit more energy to. I will say though I don't like the taste, it stinks and I have noticed my hair has gotten greasy really fast? Oh and I'm not smoking as much, just don't fancy one as much now."

KayBBL224890 November 5, 2015

For Depression: "Same here as in never-going-back to prescription medications. They were disastrous (Abilify), rejected through final massive allergic reaction by my body after several years (Depakote), left me clumsy (lithium), increased my mood cycling (Lexipro) and caused tachycardia (Trazodone), made me feel like a zombie (Tegretol) or lock-up all my limbs when effects of previous dose wore off (Valium). Today I am thoroughly experienced with herbal medicine, and I have to say, St. John's wort is a very effective herb for controlling mood extremes and reducing nervousness without sedation. It seems to have no serious effects with me. I use Vitanica brand only now, because the effectiveness of just one per day is enough"

helpsalltheabove (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 28, 2015

For : "I started taking this a week ago because I was always so Moody and irritable. I lost happieneds in the simple things that us to make me smile. Since I've been taking this I feel in such a lighter mood. No side effects except the gotst couple days taking this I had headaches. But so far so good I hope it helps to the full effects here in a couple moor weeks."

Osorio fam (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2015

For Depression: "I have been feeling down and anxious and my GP prescribed me an antidepressant for severe depression. I have been on a different medication before and found that although I felt more stable, I was reduced to a zombie. So, I decided to try St John's Wort after reading good reviews. I started on 325mg once a day in the morning. Day one - I felt amazing! I thought hey, if this is a placebo effect, I don't care! Day two, I started to feel shaky and spaced out. My partner said he noticed that I became intense on worries and seemed worse. Day 3, I took it and all day, I have had that same fuzzy brain zap feeling that you get with prescribed AD, nausea, brain fog, insomnia, ear ringing & light sensitivity. I would not say it has less side effects."

PurpleOneTwo October 19, 2015

For Depression: "I started taking St John's wort after researching and reading a lot about it. Well after a couple of weeks on it, I noticed a difference. It's taken the edge off my anxiety and depression, I feel calmer and a lot less irritable! I'm happy with the results and have had maybe one headache when I first started, I will continue to take it and record my progress, I'm now looking forward and feeling optimistic about the future!!"

Tin81 August 24, 2015

For Depression: "I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was 10. Since taking St John's wort ( I use karma maximum dose once a day pill, ordered directly online) I have felt a significant improvement in my mood. I am so much calmer, I don't lose my temper as quickly. I feel my mood is much more stable. I continue to drink alcohol which is a depressant, yet I still feel the benefits. I've been taking it for 3 months, I missed a few days, I felt the benefits within 2-3 weeks. My side effects initially lost appetite, itchy skin, headaches and cyclical sore breasts being worse. My libido is the same. My mood has improved 75%. I still get anxious, but it's much more milder. I mainly feel calmer and quieter and clearer in my head. For me, it worked."

KateVoice (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder and have been seeing a grief counselor. I have tried 4 different types of antidepressants and couldn't stand being on any one of them for more than a day. This is working. My only side effect is not being able to sleep if I take it late in the day. I've stopped crying and obsessing. I feel calm again for the first time in years. Maybe now I can put back my life back together."

last recourse (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2014

196 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I use ST. John's Wort with great success when working away at sea to lighten my moods, coming from a family with a big history of mental conditions I'm the only one who refuses to take prescribed medication. This helps me get by, be careful when coming off it because I tend to slip back into the hole once stopped...try to exercise and get lots of fresh air into the lungs when taking it. Avoid alcohol full stop."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 1, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I think anytime we read "over the counter" help we are skeptical. I know I was, but my obsessive compulsive disorder/depression was the worst it's been in a while and I had to do something. It works great. I can definitely tell when I don't take it. It's worth it to try."

S_Webb (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I have had family history from one side of the family(parent) and after a near death accident at 8yrs old my depression triggered. I've been healed (trust me it was bad) but every human being gets attacks hear and there so I decided to use something more organic. St. John's wort works but my tummy is sensitive to it (300mg 3x day) so I've lessen how many I take or take it every other day. I just like having a long term consistent mood. I've been 1 year fine, never used medicines not even Organics until now. "

depressionfree July 4, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I used the Kira brand of St. John's Wort because it was one of the ones used in the clinical trials done in Europe. While I feel this is a good brand of St. John's Wort, I had side effects from it which prevented me from continuing on it. I had diarrhea, gas and abdominal pain. I was unable to continue on the medication. While I was on it, I did not see any improvement, but I was not on it long enough. Also, I should note that I was only on 300 mg and got this side effect. Perhaps I am very sensitive."

blather123 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2012

For Depression: "With family history of mild depression, I started using St. John's wort over 10 years ago and haven't had any problems with it; however, lately I have been experiencing GERD and found out that there is a drug interaction between Omeprezole (doctor's prescription for GERD) and St. John's Wort."

jb5107 (taken for 10 years or more) April 28, 2012

For : "One important fact I did not notice in the description is that St. John's Wort is known to decrease the effects of hormonal birth control. Women using birth control who are considering St. John's Wort should either look for alternatives or add other birth control methods like condoms, diaphragms, spermicide, etc. to their routine. And of course, discuss it with your doctor if you are unsure of anything."

Anonymous February 3, 2012

For Depression: "This description helped me assist one of my students."

Anonymous May 5, 2011

For Depression: "I have found this herb to be an invaluable part of self-maintenance. Though I do not always take it, months will go by when I do not feel the need, I have relied on it for over a decade. I come from a family with a history of depression and am one of the few that has never needed an anti-depressant drug. One word of caution: once a bottle of st. john's wort is open, I find that it loses potency with in a month or so. I'd stay away from large bottles, be careful how it's stored and there are other herbs that compliment it nicely: DMAE (not to be confused with the hormone DHEA!), valerian and such. Good luck!"

Anonymous February 6, 2010

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Night Terrors: "I've been taking the HERB (not a drug) St. John's Wort for 18 years. I find it very helpful for moderate depression, and so do millions of people in the U.S., and especially Europe. In fact, in most countries in Europe, it is recommended 8 to 1 over Prozac. "

Irvino June 23, 2009

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate