User Reviews for Rapaflo

Learn more about Rapaflo.

Rapaflo review summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 46 medications used in the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.

Reviews for Rapaflo to treat Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Review by SaltLife56 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Fifty six year old male. Obese but otherwise healthy. Rapaflo 8mg once a day for symptom associated with BPH. Rapaflo efficacy is measurably effective. Serious downside is decreased ejaculation intensity AND retrograde ejaculation. Dry as a bone. Talk about affecting quality of life.

July 5, 2014 12:49 AM

Review by bbbbbbb:

Started taking Rapaflo about a month ago after experiencing horrible side effects with Flomax. I find that it only works well if I take it every few days, and then it only works for about 24 hours. Taking it every day does nothing for me after the first 24 hours. However, when it does work it reduces my nightly urinations from 20 to about 10, doubling my sleep. The ejaculation side effect is completely awful though.

July 3, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by FlaglerGrad (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm 40 years old and was diagnosed with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia last year. I was my Urologists youngest patient. BPH was so bad I was not emptying my bladder and was getting up at 4-5 times per night. It made work and home life miserable. I had the TURP surgery, coupled with a daily dose of Rapaflo and I cannot believe the results! If I get up once during the night, thats a lot. Now....for the side effects....I'm not too pleased with them at all. I have a very active sex life with a high drive. While I'm able to have an awesome erection and orgasm, I cannot ejaculate whatsoever!

June 26, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by charal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been on Rapaflo for 6 months. Results are mixed: some nights I'm up only once and others several times. Consuming liquids in the evening makes little difference. Sexually, the only change is no ejaculation which is OK, I guess but not great. Dr. recommends Avodart but the side effects of that medicine are serious in my opinion: erectile dysfunction, swollen breasts, loss of sexual interest. Not going there.

June 8, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by orgazno (taken for less than 1 month):

Have Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and tried Rapaflo for two weeks. For me there were too many side effects to continue any longer. Here they are starting with the most annoying: No orgasm--was completely unable to reach orgasm after the first dose; throat swelled up and had a hard time swallowing; nasal congestion; blurry vision; ear ache; jaw ache; increased inflammation.

May 24, 2014 2:57 AM

Review by snapperdragon (taken for less than 1 month):

Just started this and like it so far. I keep waking up with morning wood and my erections are harder then normal. Urine flow is slightly better and bathroom trips are less.

March 12, 2014 7:22 AM

Review by Vox Infirmus:

Have been taking an 8mg dose pre-bedtime for the past 5 days. Symptoms of weak flow and seemingly incomplete voiding improved markedly within 24 hours. Only, though significant, side effect is retrograde ejaculation, of which I had been forewarned, but had never been previously aware. Doesn't seem to make a great difference to the sensual experience while providing built-in birth control!

January 5, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by db1939 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been taking Rapaflo for one week now w/o any adverse side effects. Rapaflo worked immediately to mitigate nightly trips to the bathroom. I now make one or two trips and the flow is significantly much stronger than previously. The only negative is that my PDP doesn't cover Rapaflo.

November 7, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by bouledoux (taken for less than 1 month):

I can only say it will make urination easier but it also will make a satisfying climax with ejaculation a fond distant memory. IT TAKES A LONG time to wear off so you dont need to take it daily.

October 21, 2013 9:10 PM

Review by RandyThib:

I started Rapaflo 8 mg yesterday afternoon after my urology appointment. Got up to urinate only once last night - down from 3 - 4 times a night. I am impressed at how "rapid" it worked. Stream is already stronger. Orgasm last evening was same in intensity but produced nothing. This really surprised me as I did not know it was a side effect. Just hope intensity and drive don't decrease as well.

October 17, 2013 12:35 PM

Review by Swimbrett:

I am 66 and have been getting up 6-7 times a night to urinate. Previously I tried Flomax, but this made me dizzy. My Urologist suggested Rapaflo which I have been taking for 5 days. I now go 3-4 times per night. No side effects, but noticed feel a bit lethargic and my nose is runny. I have been using only 4 mg size and may ask to try the 8 mg as I am a big guy (6'3" 205 lbs).

October 8, 2013 7:51 AM

Review by Spymann1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Started to work immediately to improve urine flow and frequency. However the side effect of retrograde ejaculation became extremely bothersome. I did stop taking it for a few weeks and the side effect was completely reversed, however the urine flow issue was too much of a problem, so I restarted taking the Rapaflo again. Same issues which I tolerated for a while but finally decided to go back to the Urologist and he started me on a new medicine.

September 22, 2013 5:42 PM

Review by 65 Year old (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Difficulty urinating. Given a sample of Rapaflo by my urologist and warned about possible side effects - no ejaculation. Have been experiencing mucous and coughing and learned that this may be another side effect. Flow is much better and if you can get over the need to ejaculate the medicine seems to achieve required results. Used Flomax for a kidney stone in the past with success but only short term. One incident of bladder infection which was treated with Cipro by my family doctor. Any idea what to do about the stuffiness or must I live with it? Also on Lipitor and blood pressure lowering medicines (cautioned the Rapaflo in conjunction with it might cause dizziness but it hasn't yet).

August 29, 2013 4:08 AM

Review by bayouswimmer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Had symptoms of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, then a stone popped out. Had both Rapaflo and Flomax on hand, so I took the Flomax. Great within hours and for the first few weeks, then start with blood pressure issues. I also take Avapro as a preventative to blown kidneys from being diabetic, so they can BOTH lower blood pressure, which it seems all of these medicines CAN do. Not sure if I have a full blown case of BPH, OR a moving stone, as it comes and goes on its own, and I never have night up and down issues. Mine is what seems like unable to fully empty, full bladder, and then, drip, drip, drip, drip. Flomax works within hours on me, but long term has problems with the fast pulse. Thinking of trying Rapaflo instead of Flomax when it flares up.

August 23, 2013 10:27 PM

Review by Dribble boy:

I've had increasingly annoying symptoms for years. In the past, I've tried other medications (Uroxitrol and FloMax) and had some improvement in voiding my bladder and a somewhat increased stream. However the side effects were unpleasant. My blood pressure dropped severely and standing up from a sitting position would cause extreme dizziness from hypotension. So I stopped taking them and the symptoms went away. Recently my problems voiding became significant, so I went to see the urologist again. He prescribed Rapaflo. I had immediate relief. Within a couple of hours I noticed a difference. It's been two weeks and I'm noticing a bit of a decline in flow, so I'm going to ask if there is a slightly higher dose. No unpleasant side effects yet.

August 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Review by Casper18 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've had a weak stream for some time, but after a recent prostate biopsy, I had extra trouble voiding. Actually, I was just dribbling and couldn't even get up a good stream. In the mornings I wasn't sure I would be able to urinate at all. After one day, I noticed I was getting a little bit better flow, but it immediately causes dry ejaculation. I took a second day and developed a headache which carried into the third day. This morning I was so tired and lethargic I lay in bed till noon. I decided at this point that I would get off it and see if my energy comes back. I believe I will have to opt for surgery and get this fixed.

June 29, 2013 8:51 PM

Review by Weirded out (taken for less than 1 month):

I was recommended to take Rapaflo due to a kidney stone my body was trying to pass, I took 1 pill & passed 2 stones in 2 days. That was wonderful, however not being told about the dry ejaculation freaked me completely out. I thought it just was broke for good now or that maybe another stone had lodged anything from coming out, haha but not really. Googled it and began to relax, but the other issue is my heart rate dropped so much I though my heart was broke too and in a real bad way. My energy level crashed and after a full nights rest had to lay down before heading out to work. And the stuffy nose was irritating to say the least. Lose stools, slight upset stomach but not bad and terrible leg cramps. It's been 2 days still same symptoms.

May 8, 2013 11:51 PM

Review by birdlybee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

The lack of semen freaked me at first but I got over it - it's like having a vasectomy my friends tell me. But my erections are just as strong and my orgasms are better.

April 6, 2013 7:32 PM

Review by AndyinMD:

Been on 8mg of Rapaflo for five days. Diagnosed with moderate Benign Prostate Hyperplasia but a PSA score of 0.8. So we don't assume cancer. Rapaflo has worked well for me, increased flow, more complete emptying and a full night of sleep. Side effects were dry orgasm but no loss of sexual desire or capability and a stuffy nose/sinus-type headache easily managed with a routine OTC sinus medicine.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2013 8:48 AM

Review by Adam777 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have problem with frequent uriantion especially at night. I started taking Rapaflo with the following effects: 1- Urinary symptoms improved some what 2- No orgasm 3- No ejaculation 4- Stuffy nose 5- Muscle ache So I decided to have frequent urination and I stopped taking Rapaflo.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2013 9:22 PM

Review by Cym:

I have a prostate infection with an enlarged prostate and urinary issues. I was given Flomax (30 days) initially with antibiotics but the Flomax made me dizzy and a bad stuffed up nose. I was then given Rapaflo to help treat the benign prostate hyperplasia and felt only a slight stuffy nose and of course the most common side effect no ejaculation. These side effects are common. This medication is important in treating BPH and infections. I now have no discomfort and urinate freely. I still have two weeks to go. I won't stop taking it until the 30 days are up per doctors orders. For those people who are worried about the no ejaculation side effect, I have to say stick through and win the war. It will come back. Skipping or less sex for a month is worth it to get back to normal.

February 2, 2013 12:10 AM

Review by MauiSteve2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tried Terazosin but failed due to lethargy. Next tried Flomax but failed due to extreme constant headache. Next Uroxatral which had fewer side effects aside from a bit of nasal congestion. Had some mild constant pelvic pain so Urologist suggested Rapaflo. Very low nasal, or lethargy side effects, but this medicine gave me retrograde ejaculation and took away most sex drive. This medicine would be fine if I were older and not having sex. But I am 50 and my girlfriend is starting to wonder.

October 17, 2012 2:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 52 years old and after having difficulty with urinary flow, multiple bathroom trips per night , I finally went to the doctor for the dreaded check. After no serious issues were found, my doctor suggested Rapaflo. He forewarned me about the anejaculation, but said I would still have the sensation associated with ejaculation. After about a month, the sensation has ceased to exist.

July 17, 2012 12:59 PM

Review by roger roger (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For me it works fair. At certain times of the day I still have difficulty starting the urine stream. I am sure I will have to have surgery before long.

July 8, 2012 5:45 PM

Review by detzkorn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I get better results with Rapaflo than Flomax. I have no ejaculate, which feels weird, but OK. It's dropped my BP about 10-15 pts, I'm a bit calmer, and its helped with some mild erectile dysfunction. So, it's a winner.

June 9, 2012 10:22 PM