User Reviews for Sibutramine

Also known as: Meridia

Learn more about Sibutramine.

Sibutramine review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Sibutramine to treat Obesity

Review by JabbaJaw (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Used this back in 2009. Lost over 4 stone. They are amazing. No appetite and you feel full after a few mouthfuls. Side effetcs were dry mouth, some agitation, inability to keep still for long and insomnia. If taken very early in the morning and avoid caffeine, the insomnia can be controlled. Stopped taking them due to it being pulled. Unfortunately I have put 2 St back on! Just got some more after a long time looking. Hope to see same results.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2014 10:27 AM

Review by Chrisjohnward:

I am male 16 stone. I started last week I lost 10lb I've been doing the work in the gym but hey these things work! I haven't craved the usual bad things at all. This puts a spring in your step.

March 21, 2014 12:50 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I used this for about 3 months and it jump started my healthy diet and exercise plan. I lost a totally of 60 pounds in 6 months and kept it off for four years. I just needed the extra help.

April 8, 2012 2:22 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I have to say I am greatly disappointed that this medicine was taken off the market. I obsessed about food all the time. I ate all the time and I ate extremely large portions. I took this for two months up until it was discontinued. I could not believe it. I lost 20 pounds. I did not exercise once. Surprisingly, I thought about food much less. I oddly craved healthier foods, I ate smaller portions and would be satisfied with the amount. And I lost 20 pounds without even thinking about it. I couldn't believe how much free time I had when I was not thinking about food. I wish that it wasn't taken off the market due to cardiac issues. I mean come on, even cardiac medicines can cause cardiac issues. How come those aren't take off the market?

August 28, 2011 12:26 PM

Review by Meridia Fan:

Meridia (sibutramine): I'm devastated to learn that Meridia has been taken off the market. It is the only thing that has worked for me in terms of weight loss. I can walk, eat healthy all day, but Meridia is what gave me portion control. It turned the cravings off. I am so sad. I was just going to get another prescription after being off it for 2 years. In the last 2years I've tried loosing weight without Meridia and have been very unsuccessful. Now, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm about 90lbs overweight and each time I was on Meridia I lost about 40lbs in 2 months. Both times, Meridia had given me the energy to exercise. As I said before, I'm devastated. I was really looking forward to getting on Meridia to jump start this weight loss and now I don't know what to do.

October 18, 2010 9:26 AM

Review by Nanda22:

Meridia (sibutramine): I've been taking Meridia for off and on for several months and I have to say I'm very pleased. Even though it is pricey it works! Some of my side effects were stomach pain (if I over ate at one sitting), some dry mouth and heart burns. Nothing severe to the point where I would want to stop taking Meridia. I haven't gained any of the weight that I have lost. When I first started taking Meridia I was 210lbs. I was able to lose 15lbs and not gain it back, after stopping for about 6 months. Now I have started taking Meridia again again for about one month and I will continue to do so until I reach 170lbs. I see my Doctor once a month for my refills and lab work.

September 20, 2010 2:46 AM

Meridia (sibutramine): I have been taking Meridia for one week now and I feel so much better already. What a difference this medicine has made. It is worth every penny to get my life back. I have already cut out sweets and have reduced my daily caloric intake with ease. Nothing has worked for me in the past, but I am feeling very confident about Meridia. I can't wait until my family sees the new me at the holidays!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2010 11:30 AM

Review by BLR:

Meridia (sibutramine): I am so thankful my doctor prescribed me Meridia. After giving birth at 37 years old I packed on 65 extra pounds that even with diet and exercise would not come back off. I am happy to say I have lost 60 lbs with Meridia. As for the debate on whether it is safe falls on your doctor. Obviously if you have heart conditions already you should not take this product. Your doctor should know if your able to take this medication. I am no longer on Meridia and haven't gained any weight back either. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel so much healthier now.

September 18, 2010 8:35 AM

Meridia (sibutramine): Meridia is amazing! I have tried EVERY diet you can think of - Weight watchers, Nutrisystem (twice), Slimfast, Atkins, Alli, Apple cider vinegar, and regular calorie reduction. None of these diets has ever resulted in a loss of more than 3-4 pounds. Although I had some issues regarding insurance coverage, I was able to get Meridia at the end of July, and began August 1st. I have been on Meridia now for almost 2 months and as of yesterday I have lost exactly 20 pounds! I feel so relieved to finally do something that actually works. My appetite has decreased dramatically - I can eat a portion of my meal and be satisfied and turn down sweets with ease. I would recommend it to EVERYONE!

September 16, 2010 11:31 PM

Review by Nutritionist:

Meridia (sibutramine): Before I go into this product it should be noted, normally I am against any weight loss medicine. However, after being on a restricted calorie diet and exercise regime with no results over a three month period, my doctor and I decided to try this medicine in combination with what I am doing already. So far, this is day 4 of using Meridia and my weight has dropped 3.6lbs, with mild side effects being anxiousness. The first day I felt spacy, but that subsided and now I have ZERO appetite. I will post again later this month, but as of right now I am thrilled at the results. This medicine is pricey, but to me was worth every penny.

September 13, 2010 3:11 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I commented before - 9 days in and I had lost 6lbs. Just went today for my 1 month doctors visit to see my progress. I have lost 14.7lbs and my already normal blood pressure actually dropped into an even healthier number! Still taking 10mg daily and still no side effects other then I'm a bit more thirsty and my mouth has a mildly strange taste sometimes. So all good news! I am starting to feel excited about the way I look and feel again.. 1st time in a few years. Lets hope it continues on this path.. My doctor was thrilled with my results!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2010 3:58 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I started taking 10mg of Meridia 9 days ago. So far I have lost 6 pounds. As for side effects honestly I really can't say that I can even tell that I am taking the pill. The only thing that comes to mind is one night I had slightly strange taste in my mouth and was more thirsty than normal. This pill really works. I feel more motivated to work out and eat healthy, (the $120 price tag may have something to do with that too). At dinner half way through my salad I'm full, I've honestly have had no problem resisting the temptations of Starbucks mochas and the large bowl of mini-candy bars at work. Something that would have been basically un-heard of before. So 6lbs down 35ish more to go.. Wish me luck!

August 20, 2010 11:44 PM

I lost 40 pounds in 3 months, I went from a size 8/9 to a size 1! I have never been able to wear a bikini until now. I'm 24 years old.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2010 8:18 PM

Review by voyage2healthy:

Meridia (sibutramine): After much research and visits with my physician, I have decided to give it a try. Although it is costly ($135!!) I am hopeful that it will AID in my weightloss goal. So I took my first dose today, not sure if I'm just mentally in the right frame of mind since it is only day 1 but I have zero appetite whatsoever, actually had to force myself to eat something. Food seems unappealing right now, so it makes it easier to select healthy choices. No side effects (yet). Best of luck to everyone in their endeavors to a healthy body!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2010 3:29 PM

Review by James Dean:

Meridia (sibutramine): I decided to start taking sibutramine to lose weight that I had gained last year. I chose this because you can use it long-term, unlike the stimulants. When I first started it I barely noticed any effects (15mg). My weight was 240lbs starting. Then, about a week in I started to notice a major reduction in appetite and was doing quite well. I was able to get down to 231lbs in 1.5 weeks. Sadly this weight loss came with major dysphoric side-effects, such as tremors, anxiety, muscle twitch, insomnia, mood swings, akathesia, etc. It felt like I was poisoned/going crazy. Therefore, I had to stop it. I wish I could have continued as the weight loss was going great. Bad reactions stopped after discontinuing the sibutramine.

May 9, 2010 7:37 AM

Review by kings2:

Meridia (sibutramine): At a starting weight of 162lbs, I was about 30lbs overweight. I have taken Meridia for exactly one month and have had no side effects. I lost 10lbs by taking the pill, watching calories and exercising. I make sure I exercise for 30 minutes at least 4 times per week. I am happy with the medicine. I believe it's important to learn to have better habits while you are on it. Going off the medicine should not cause weight gain unless you start consuming more calories or aren't exercising.

May 1, 2010 12:06 AM

Review by fuzzyzooler:

Meridia (sibutramine): I just started taking Meridia 4/16/2010 and I've lost 2lbs. My starting weight was 190lbs, appetite and energy has improved.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2010 9:47 AM

Review by amelia2:

Meridia (sibutramine): Love this medicine. I had great success of weight loss with this medicine. I seem to be of the minority who has an insurance that covers most of the cost, approximately $35 for one month. Side effects: insomnia and severe dry mouth, I made sure to carry gum. I have been on the medicines twice one year apart, lost 22 lbs the last round and it was such a great feeling. It ended all cravings, even for chocolate! Unfortunately as soon as I stopped the medicines after 6 months, I gained it all back. I ended up with heart problems, not sure if the Meridia was to blame, (I have a history of cardiac issues). I am to blame, I stopped exercising and all my cravings came back. I loved the results so much, I want another shot despite side effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2010 7:49 PM

Review by Very pleased!:

Meridia (sibutramine): I have been on Meridia 10 mg for approximately a week and a half. The only side effect that I have had is jittery sleep (i.e. I wake up a few times throughout the night and am very alert but can go right back to sleep - its odd! I am usually a VERY heavy sleeper) but this is no deal-breaker...Meridia has already been extremely effective - I have lost 6 pounds in a week and a half. I am about 40 lbs overweight so I still have a long way to go but it is such a relief that this is getting the ball rolling - the weight loss finally feels surmountable. Other reviewers are certainly correct - you do have to put in effort on this medication - it isn't a magic pill. I have stuck religiously to a 1200 cal diet & cardio for 30 min 5 days/week.

March 22, 2010 4:40 PM

Review by Cammers:

Meridia (sibutramine): I took Meridia in 2000, I lost 60 pounds in 6 months. I had no side effects, the only thing I noticed was that my tastes changed, I didn't want the fried foods or the sweets. I never knowingly changed my eating habits, it just happened. I have to confess, in the nine years I have gained 40 pounds but I can pinpoint the cause of each group of weight gain. I gained 10 pounds undergoing chemotherapy for breast cancer (they say it is due to eating comfort foods...like a bowl of ice cream every night for the eight months I was undergoing chemo and radiation), 10 pounds when I had shoulder surgery 2 years later and 20 this 2 years ago when I quit smoking. I am considering going back on the pill as I am a firm believer that it works.

March 12, 2010 8:52 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I have been taking 10mg since Nov.5 2009. I have gone from 203 - 177. I went off for two weeks this past month and I have not gained but have stayed the same. During my time off however I had times of high anxiety and irritability, especially, when starting the medication again. My blood pressure and pulse rate have been fine. I have had some constipation problems.I think my Dr. will raise my dose to 15mg at my next appointment. My goal weight is 150. I feel so much better. It has helped with mild depression as well. Good Luck.

February 17, 2010 12:20 AM

Meridia (sibutramine): I was under doctors care on Meridia for weight loss for about a year. I had consistent normal blood pressure all my life. My blood pressure started to go up slowly, which seemed okay with the doctor at the time. Well, now I am off this drug and on blood pressure medicines for life! Without the blood pressure medicines, my pressure is high all the time. My doctor said this can happen when a drug sparks it. BE CAREFUL with Meridia!

December 16, 2009 2:09 PM

Review by MERIDIA WORKS!:

Meridia (sibutramine): I LOVE THIS MEDICATION! I first started out on 10 mg and felt as if nothing was happening. I talked to my doctor and explained to her the situation and then she prescribed 15 mg for me. 12 pounds in a week! I am feeling more motivated then ever to lose weight. Some side effects I have had are hunger, headaches, nausea, and some constipation.

December 9, 2009 10:56 PM

Meridia (sibutramine): I have lost 11.5 lbs in the first six weeks of taking this drug. However, the first week the side effects were horrible (anxiety, insomnia, irregular heart beat) until my body got used to the product. As I enter week 7 of my 3 month course, I find that Meridia is having an opposite effect on my appetite. I am constantly hungry at this point. My Dr will probably have to increase my dose for the next month. Please keep in mind that YOU have to do everything you can to control your own diet and exercise schedule. This is not a miracle drug, but something to get you over the hill for a short period of time until you are comfortable enough to continue weight loss of your free will. Hope this helps. Good luck to all.

December 5, 2009 3:26 PM

Review by 2Much:

Meridia (sibutramine): I have been on Meridia for almost a week now. I have not weighed myself due to the fact I hate the scale. The drug took effect after about 2 days where I can honestly say that my cravings/snack sessions have ceased, I have begun to try portion control, and it seems to work (where I am satisfied with a lot less). I am not constipated and I do feel like I have more energy, but I'm still able to get a decent nights sleep. I notice if I exercise (even if I don't feel like it) I get energy. My blood pressure is fine thus far, but I will continue to monitor it as I progress. No headaches, or break through bleeding, no stomach aches. I have a slight lower back ache, but that may be to the sit ups being done improperly.

November 18, 2009 12:30 AM