User Reviews for Zoloft

Depression 284 reviews 75 medications

7.4
Summary of Zoloft reviews 614 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Zoloft

For Depression "The first time I took Zoloft, it was a life-saver, it dragged me out of a deep depression and alleviated most of my anxiety, allowing me to get out of the house and get a job and live a normal life, with no REAL noticeable side-effects, (at higher doses it became difficult to orgasm, but I just didn't take as much and I was fine) 12 years later I tried it again, after falling back into severe depression, anxiety and agoraphobia. It did help, but this time not nearly as much. It lifted my mood and helped me have less mood swings. It barely touched my anxiety and agoraphobia, plus this time around the sexual side effects were devastating. The effort it took to have an orgasm was unbelievable! Even at a dose of only 50mg."

Anonymous December 3, 2012

For Depression "Before taking this, my hands and feet were always so cold, my depressing mood I just could not shake off, I was irritable and hopeless, a drone, living day to day. I finally turned to my doctor for help. It surprised me to find out that my being cold, even in the heat of the summer, had to do with anxiety! Within the first day of taking this medication, I felt instant relief. The will to live flowed in my veins right down to my fingertips and toes. I feel alive again, no longer cold, no longer hopeless. I am happy to be me and so very thankful that this type of medication exists! It's obvious by this board that it helps a lot of people just like it helped me. One Symptom: Yawning! So, I go outside for deep breathes of air."

MaryKate564 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2012

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "Depression and anxiety hit me like a brick wall about six months ago. I have always had a bit of anxiety, but nothing like recently. My psychiatrist prescribed Zoloft and the side effects were unbearable. My mood became much worse, threw up, more suicidal, etc. I only took it for two days. I am so happy this works for certain people. Depression and anxiety is pure torture."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2012

For Depression "I swore that if Zoloft worked for me, I would come back here and write a review. I hope this gives some people hope who are too scared to take it or try something new. I was first put on Lexapro for serious anxiety, which then led to depression. I was on that for about 9 days. It was terrible! Made my anxiety way worse, vomitting, couldn't sleep. So then I was put on Pristiq. I took it one day (fast acting) and felt so weird, shaking out of control, sick to my stomach, etc. FINALLY. I was put on 50mg of Zoloft. I am on my 4th week of it now and I can honestly say I feel like myself again! Only side effect was extremely tired. So I started taking it at night and that has helped! Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2012

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started this two months ago to help with my light depression and anxiety problems as a long-term replacement for Xanax. So far I haven't had to use my Xanax in almost a month. I didn't think this would do much but I was wrong. The first two-three weeks I had some mild nausea and tiredness but that went away pretty quickly."

CMT01 October 29, 2012

For Panic Disorder "I am 18 and have been on a daily dose of 25mg of Zoloft for about two months now. Anxiety was literally making my life hell. I cried all the time, had crippling panic attacks, and had terrible derealization/depersonalization. I was hopeless, but afraid of taking medicines. I'm so glad I did anyway... I have only had one side effect, a bigger appetite, and I could feel a huge difference within a few days. It literally gave me my normal life back. I want to share this everywhere to help people like I know I needed help. Talk to your doctor."

KatieJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2012

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I started taking Zoloft about three weeks ago. I have noticed various symptoms, I grind my teeth quite a bit which brings on headaches, I yawn constantly and I am always tired (even if I have eight hours sleep). I have not experienced any weight gain as yet, or any other symptoms associated with this medicine. I used to have panic attacks every second day, I have not had one since I started taking Zoloft which is a great outcome. I did get a bit panicky in a social situation two days ago, though was able to control my emotions so I didn't have a panic attack. So far so good."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2012

For Panic Disorder "Zoloft has been a life saver! I have been on this medicine for about 7 years now. Two kids (3 and 6 months) later I still have to use this medicine, and it works miracles. My husband deployed to Afghanistan and I do not think I could of made it through that time while taking care of our kids without this medicine. The only side effects I had were loss of appetite, tired, and mild headaches but that only lasts about a week. If your just starting this medicine hold on I promise this will help you feel like you again!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 11, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have always had really bad anxiety. I started taking Zoloft when my daugther was 2 and I wish I had started it sooner. It helped a lot with my anxiety. I'm no longer mean to people and my rage is gone. It really saved my life. What I don't like is it makes me too relaxed. I just want to sleep all day and its really hard for me to lose weight. I do exercise everyday also to help with the anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2012

For Depression "I've been taking Zoloft for 3 days on a doctors recommendation and don`t notice any of the the benefits yet. I have felt a whole bunch of side effects including nausea, loss of appetite, drowsiness and diarrhea. I'll be seeing the doctor in two days and from what I understand these side effects should decrease over time. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2012

For Depression "I noticed a change almost immediately in my energy levels, moods, and alertness. I would reccomend it to any of my family and friends."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2012

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder "I have been on this medicine for 3 month for my PTSD and I find it has helped somewhat, I can think straight, calm, centered. It's wonderful in combination with Lyrica for my GAD in which I'm in the-4% that gets euphoria from it."

poppyjuice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2012

For Depression "I was put on this for depression. The first day I took it, I got extreme fatigue and it took so much willpower to get up and do anything. I just did not want to move. I also got out of breath doing the simplest things, like getting out of my car and standing up. I was a total zombie. These symptoms decreased within a few weeks, but it was awful to get through. In addition, I was 130 lbs. when I began taking it and blew up to 209 lbs. over one year despite not eating more or exercising less. It also didn't help my depression. So in the end it did not help me and I gained 79 lbs. in one year. As soon as I stopped taking it, my weight dropped down to 160 lbs. without doing anything. "

clarkdaniels (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 13, 2012

For Depression "This is my second time on Zoloft. The first time it was recommended and prescribed by my physician for Hep C treatment. I had CRAZY side effects but back then I could not distinguish which medicine was causing this. I could not eat, trembling, sweats, etc. Two years later and Hep C cleared (ya-hoo) I found myself anxious and severely depressed. I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg and I have been taking it for two days. I have lost two pounds cannot eat, sleep and my head feels likes it going to explode with worry and pressure. I called my doctor but of course he was not in, so I got a professional opinion from a friend who told me to stick it out that the symptoms would subside. "

Rif Raf September 7, 2012

For Panic Disorder "I have been taking Zoloft now for a couple of months. I started at 25mg for 7 days and then 50mg for about 6 weeks. Now I am up to 100mg a day. I have been diagnosed with panic disorder and agoraphobia. I have noticed a difference in the anxiety I have when I am at home, but I still struggle to go into public without supplementing with Ativan. I have just been prescribed Buspar, so I will be curious to see how that addition helps my anxiety. In the past, I have tried Celexa and Wellbutrin which did nothing for my anxiety. I will continue to take the Zoloft, but I would like to get rid of the Ativan if at all possible."

magua (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2012

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Zoloft for only a week and cannot believe how immediate the positive effects are. I had been taking Effexor for two years for low grade social anxiety. Whilst it was highly effective for the anxiety, I went from 120lbs to 150lbs in a very short time (very distressing as I am only 5'2'') and I completely withdrew socially. I also felt completely unhinged and even suicidal if I accidentally skipped a day. A week ago I switched to Zoloft (with only a day's gap in between my cessation of Effexor). Within an hour of taking it I felt better. I have felt like my old self again--exercising daily, dropping weight each day, feeling social--even a little sexy (!) and laughing more. Thank goodness I switched medicines."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2012

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have suffered from depression for a long time, but never believed it. I always said "It's a rough patch, I'll come out of it soon" ..8 years on, I was down and out and suicidal. My Dr. recommended Zoloft. I was skeptical and afraid of playing with my emotions. I thought depressed was just "Me". But I gave it a go, after 3.5 weeks, the most wonderful thing has happened. I feel NORMAL. I can cope with my day, I am hopeful about the future. There were side effects for the first week, I took my pill at night which helped and kept up the exercise, they passed. If I can give any advice it's don't be afraid to take control of your body and don't feel guilty if you decide to try medicines, listen to your Dr. You deserve to be happy."

Erider (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2012

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have been taking Zoloft (100mg) per day for a couple of years now. I have tried to come off them once with a complete relapse into depression. Nearly a year later and on doctors advice I am to try Allegron, but first I have to stay off Zoloft for 4 days before I start the Allegron. Apparently it can take up to two weeks for the Allegron to kick in. I am only 3 days into my detox from Zoloft and I feel terrible. I'm not sure I can make it another two weeks! Does anyone else on this site go down hill so quickly from Zoloft? "

Anonymous August 19, 2012

For Depression "I was prescribed Zoloft many years ago and after only taking it once without any instant results I stopped using it. I was on active duty and had been deployed several times by then. Years went by and a new physician urged me to take Zoloft and I used it this time to ease me into a restful night's sleep. It worked wonderfully and the following day was easy going. I was a little hazy the following day as a side effect and my tummy was griping loudly. I lost weight and am still losing which will have me call the company and back the truck up to my house! No complaints here! I feel mellow but still connected to what is happening. I don't feel "high." Each person's experience will be different for sure and I am hoping for the best results for all."

scorpio1961 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2012

For Panic Disorder "I am in my 30s and have been experiencing debilitating panic attacks since I was a teenager to the point where I could not function on a day-to-day basis. Sertraline seems to be very effective in blocking this reaction. I feel like myself again, thank God. I no longer have racing thoughts and all the physical reactions of panic. This is my second time taking it, first was for PPD and it helped then too. I did have side effects for the first 4-6 weeks, including dry mouth, insomnia, and a foggy out of it feeling, but it all lifted."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2012

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder "I am 14, female, and I am diagnosed with an anxiety disorder NOS, moderate depression, and dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking). I have been on 200mg for a few months now. I am much, much happier and more stable. My side effects have been dizziness, I haven't had weight gain. If I miss a day, I can feel a little depressed towards the end of that day. I have had NO relief from my skin picking. It may have gotten worse. I tried to add Wellbutrin, 150mg to my Zoloft. I took it two days and I felt AWFUL so I've stopped that. Looking into a treatment center, OCD specialist, or dermatillomania-specialized doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2012

For Social Anxiety Disorder "I felt the change after the first dose and now I can live again. I was always so scared to even leave the house, I was always so jealous of my wife thinking she would cheat or that someone was talking about me, always afraid what people thought. I look back now and think who was that person? Now with all kinds of energy my sex life is so much better, I am losing weight, I was an emotional eater. That's gone. I am a new man, I am a better person. Zoloft saved my life my marriage. I am so focused now I have accomplished more in 6 months than in 6 yrs. Not really any side effects that are bad other than a little tremble once in awhile and I cant sleep sometime."

Saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2012

For Panic Disorder "I am a 30 yr old female who has suffered from severe panic attacks since I was 16 yrs old. I lost my mother of a fatal heart attack when she was 27 yrs old and have always feared the same would happen to me. I have seen a cardiologist since I was 17 and have had as many heart tests done that they would probably perform on an 80 yr old. I've always checked out fine and not seemed to have inherited anything my mother had. When I have anxiety, which leads into a panic attack my mind spirals out of control. I am a nurse also and picture worse case scenarios all these symptoms could be. I have been on Zoloft for 6 weeks now. It's helping but I'm still not 100% and using Xanax to cope. I'm pleased with results though and hopeful I will get better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2012

For Depression "I started on Zoloft due to a number of losses-deaths in family & a breakup. While they say it may take weeks to fully enter your system, I would say for me it took a few days to feel it. Mine was a lower dosage, 25mg I believe but it still worked well enough to jump-start my life again. I would no longer dwell on the negative things, however sometimes it was equally hard to concentrate on important things, as my mind would go "spacy" on occasion. Slight dry mouth at first but it went away. I became more social and dated more. The downside- while interest in sex never waned, it would take a long time to perform. You would THINK that would be a good thing, but after 20 minutes, most ladies started glancing at the clock. So much for dating!"

Mjolnir (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2012

For Panic Disorder "I'm 23 and after 5 years decided to do something about it. I was put on 50mg of Zoloft. To be honest whether it was me being paranoid or what not my panic was worse in that first 3 days then in years. Felt insane and crazy. Stopped it and talked to doctor. He upped it to 100mg and gave me Xanax to take in meantime. I read online 50% of people get worse in the first few days but then it gets better (brain sensitivity to mess). I do feel calmer (been a week) but barely eat and I can barely get to sleep. I also wake up shaky out of the blue when I do go to sleep and have to take a Xanax to calm me down and put me back to sleep. I'm hoping to get counseling too. I'm hoping this will help. 1 week down... It's hard being patient."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2012