User Reviews for Zoloft

Postpartum Depression 6 reviews 7 medications

7.2
Summary of Zoloft reviews 499 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Zoloft

For Depression: I've been on Zoloft for about month now, I was suffering from Depression for a few yrs now. I'm 30yrs. About 4 months ago I became severely depressed and suicidal. I finally went to the Doctor to start something. My depression was horrible. The first week I began taking this my suicide thoughts stopped. I still had a hard time getting out of bed but I wasn't feeling this horrible despair, I was just depressed and continued for the next weeks. I knew I felt a little better. About 2 days ago I started feeling better, I was able to get out of bed easier, and stay out, I do have trouble sleeping. But I feel okay. This medicine has saved me.

May 3, 2012 7:02 PM

For Depression: Been on Zoloft 25mg a week. It killed my depression (almost) and my anxiety. I've been an opiate addict for 6 yrs and only quit 1 week ago. I can't believe I have no interest in painkillers all of a sudden. Several side effects occurred the first 4 days. Insomnia/ migraines /diarrhea. It's impressive now though.

May 2, 2012 8:13 PM

Review by Drongo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I have been on sertraline for 4 weeks now. I started on 6 mg...yes I cut up the pills into 1/8! After 1 day of nausea I felt much better. After 2 weeks I moved up to 12.5 mg. still feeling great. I wish I had done this years ago. While my main problem is anxiety, on reflection I have been depressed for years. Hope the very low dose continues to work. Life is just so much better, I am not constrained by wanting to go home all the time and most amazing anxiety over ridiculous things like waiting in line, etc.

May 2, 2012 7:36 AM

Review by LillyF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Zoloft pretty much saved my life. I was suicidal due to my trauma and many life failures. I hated the medicine at first, though. The adjustment period is horrible. I felt constipated, sweaty, sleepy, high and dissociated from the real world. Once you get past that (it takes a couple of months), it is great. I am so much more relaxed now. I used to be very aggressive and now I think about other people's feelings. Being depressed from my trauma, I was very tired. Zoloft made me more tired until I adjusted to it. Now it actually gives me energy.

May 1, 2012 11:38 AM

For Depression: I went to the doctor because I was having anxiety/stress issues. I was getting along with any of my co-workers, I was crying at work for no reason, and I just wasn't myself. I had never taken any prescription medicine before Zoloft. My doctor said she thought I had anxiety, and maybe depression. I was prescribed 50mg Zoloft to start for a few weeks. I was supposed to move up to 100mg, but the 50mg are doing just fine. I have been on Zoloft for about three months now, and I do no have any side effects, nor did I when I first started. I was also prescribed Xanax as needed, but I haven't even had to take any since I started the Zoloft.

April 28, 2012 8:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Was able to deal with my depression with cognitive therapy. Also helps my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

April 26, 2012 9:52 PM

Review by Africanchick:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been taking Zoloft for 1 year 4 months and at the back of my mind I have this niggling voice that tells me I cannot be on this medicine forever. Zoloft changed my life, saved me my marriage and kids and gave me back my life and laughter. If it was not for Zoloft I would have jumped off a bridge by now! Why I rated it 9/10 is because I have gained 9 pounds since I have been on it and the pounds are just refusing to fall off. Very increased appetite due to being sane and happy, hanging out, having good and bad food and having my glass of wine! Rather be fat and happy then thin and miserable.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2012 1:08 PM

Review by NameHere92:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I was prescribed Zoloft when I saw a psychiatrist and described my anxiety when at home, and my very, very bad social anxiety that has left me with virtually no friends and I never leave the house. I was also slightly depressed. At 100mg of Zoloft, it has absolutely no effect on my anxiety. I gave it a 4 because it's improved my energy level and made me a lot less depressed, I just wish it would help what it was prescribed for.

April 14, 2012 9:13 PM

Review by Mom_of_4:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I am 30 yo female and have been taking Zoloft for 4 days now & I am definitely starting to feel a difference. My thoughts don't race constantly & I don't worry constantly about every terrible thing that could potentially happen to me or my family. I've been more patient with my kids & less picky at my husband. I had nausea for the first day but that passed. I still feel tired a lot though and have had some tightness in my chest. My most uncomfortable side effect is feeling the need to yawn all the time. The other reviews have given me hope that if I wait it out my side effects will improve. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.

April 13, 2012 9:55 AM

Review by oscy:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I've been having social anxiety my whole life and didn't even realize it. I also suffered from random panic attacks in the middle of the night. I became antisocial, I would isolate myself and lacked communication with my parents. I was very aggressive, had severe depression. I started self medicating with anything that made my depression feel better. I would pursue a quick fix and not realize how much more self harm I was causing to myself and my health. I became suicidal. I asked my teacher for help when I was getting worse. I have therapy and saw a psychiatrist. Zoloft has been really effective for me. I'm no longer having rushing thoughts or feeling socially awkward around people.

April 12, 2012 3:35 PM

Review by Ash00009:

For Social Anxiety Disorder: Do these SSRI's actually work for anxiety? I have tried a few over the last year with little success and horrible side effects. I took Zoloft 100mg for 3 months and noticed a very slight decrease in anxiety. As with all SSRI's I had the standard intolerable side effects including: Loss of emotions, loss of sex drive, decreased motivation, etc... I don't think SSRI's should be the 1st line of medication as personally none of them worked for me and all had intolerable side effects.

April 12, 2012 10:32 AM

Review by mitch1234:

For Depression: I'll keep this short. Before Zoloft I was highly irritable. Couldn't keep a girlfriend even when they were crazy about me. I couldn't get along with my mom. I lost a lot of friends also with my mood swings and the way I would lash out at people for the smallest things. Then I started taking it. Sertraline changed my life. I kept the longest job ever. Before I couldn't keep a job long because I would always annoy someone out. I had my longest most healthy relationship ever. My mom and I were like best friends. Then when I could get down in the dumps emotionally it would be rare but far worse then I would be if I wasn't on Zoloft.

April 11, 2012 5:30 PM

For Panic Disorder: After working with a therapist for 4 months to overcome my panic disorder and obsessional thoughts, I realized I needed some extra help. I began to take Zoloft, first at 25 mg to ease into the symptoms, and later increased to 50. I began to notice relief from symptoms after about 2 weeks of taking the medication. I still have bothersome thoughts that circle in and out through my mind during the day, but the nausea and the heart pounding that comes with the thoughts does not happen anymore. I am able to recognize my symptoms as those of panic disorder and can move forward feeling positive. The only side effects I experienced were headache and nausea the first few days. I am going to continue therapy and hopefully one day overcome this.

April 10, 2012 7:03 PM

Review by mattmma22:

For Panic Disorder: After 1 week of loose bowels and strange stomach noises/sensations, week 2 came and the jaw clenching/teeth grinding sensation in my temples started. Along with throat pain and suicidal thoughts, it was tough to stick it out and stay on but I did. I started on 25mg then up to 50mg then on to 75mg by week 3. Things got better around then. I still felt anxious, but the medicine was blocking my physical response that my body would produce from stress and anxiety. I would get chest pains, stomach pains, head pains all the time, got checked out by every specialist under the sun, and I'm a healthy 31 year old man with normal or better than normal heart, brain, lung and organ function. It was all in my head and Zoloft stopped my suffering.

April 8, 2012 9:58 PM

Review by shawnvf92985:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medicine has been a life saver. I was to the point where I thought I'd be in a constant state of panic (heart palpitations, increased blood pressure, hyperventilating). My symptoms initially got more intense once I started Zoloft, but after about 3-4 weeks I started to normalize. I started at 25mg daily, which helped side effects, and gradually worked my way up to 50 mg. I found taking 25mg in the morning and 25 mg at night helped keep the side effects to a minimum. After 2.5 months on Zoloft, I no longer need Xanax and my blood pressure has decreased dramatically. Whatever you do, don't hold up in your house while starting this medication. Get out and about, put yourself in uncomfortable situations.

April 8, 2012 9:52 PM

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Zoloft for just over a year. I take 75-100 mg daily. I'm definitely more comfortable in social situations. My only complaints are drowsiness and not really having ANY emotions. It did help a lot when I was downsized. I'm still looking for a job but it seems to help with anxieties associated with job interviews. People say I'm a HAPPY person now.

April 5, 2012 6:26 PM

For Postpartum Depression: I love it. I had gotten postpartum depression, it's helped me enjoy my baby the only side effect I have is takes longer to reach orgasm and little weight gain but not bad.

March 31, 2012 9:57 AM

For Depression: When I started Zoloft I had tremors. My initial dose was 100mg, but after a few months I still had issues with anger and sadness. My dose was increased to 150 mg and I seemed to be doing better. My sad thoughts went away. I had no desire for sex at all. I still felt like I could sleep all day and all night every day. I just recently switched to Wellbutrin XL. It was hard on me coming down from the Zoloft. I became more sad, depressed, angry, hostile. A couple of times I had suicidal thoughts (didn't have before or while taking Zoloft). Pros no weight gain with Zoloft. Cons had to cut back on my caffeine, no sex drive at all, and just didn't quite work good enough for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2012 10:08 PM

For Depression: I was on Zoloft for two years. I started taking it after I had a panic attack due to extreme stress. It worked well for me. I tried Lexapro for a few days maybe 9 to be exact and I couldn't function. I couldn't lift my head or have the strength to care for my son who was a baby at the time. Zoloft was amazing. I stayed on 50mg and felt normal again. But with that said, I did gain 30 pounds. The medicine makes you feel so relaxed as before I was a calorie counter and obsessed with what I ate. I didn't mind much because I was better, that's what mattered. I came off of it and decided to get back on 5 months after stopping. I can say the second time around of being on it doesn't work for me. Like others, I must have become immune to it.

March 21, 2012 4:54 PM

For Depression: I have been on Zoloft for about 6 weeks. I was experiencing depression which manifested itself in crying spells, anger, helplessness and loss of motivation. It took approximately 4 weeks for me to notice any changes, but I have noticed recently that I have motivation once again and I have not experienced any side effects which i was dreading such as loss of sexual desire and weight gain. I feel like my normal self again and able now to handle the issues of my life Prior to this I was sad a lot and having many crying bouts. I haven't noticed any negative side effects whatsoever.

March 20, 2012 4:00 AM

Helped me out tremendously. Had nausea all the time for the first few weeks, but subsided after about 4 weeks of taking Zoloft. I believe it wasn't going to work because I have never believed in taking any medications. I am glad I changed my mind. Zoloft has definitely helped me overcome anxiety.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2012 11:55 AM

For Depression: I started Zoloft 2 years ago and was taking 100 mg daily. I quit cigarettes cold Turkey and figured I cold do the same with Zoloft. I probably have 3 or 4 days left till its out completely. Good thing no one crossed me in two weeks. Everytime you begin to get upset a surge races through your brain. Don't be like me. Wean off the right way.

March 13, 2012 6:05 AM

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I have obsessive compulsive disorder that seems to be increasing under the influence of Zoloft. If I miss a dose I have a really bad day, so I try not to. The Zoloft has helped my depression significantly though, so that is some relief. It is not the right medicine for me.

March 10, 2012 7:47 PM

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I started taking Zoloft when work stress and other issues got really bad. I had gone to a doctor for cognitive behavioral therapy previously to help with social anxiety, but it didn't seem to work. So I tried going on Zoloft per a GP suggestion. I first started on 50mg, and the side effects (super drowsy during the day, couldn't sleep at night, shakiness) were pretty awful for the first couple of weeks, but I stuck with it out of desperation. I am glad I did. My boyfriend says that he sees a huge change. And I don't feel so very, very awful about everything. I feel like I can see my circular negative thoughts now in a third-party point of view. It hasn't stopped my negative feelings, but it is helping me not to think about them over and over. Taking 100mg.

March 9, 2012 1:46 AM

Review by AndreaFrazier89:

For Depression: I suffered from inherited depression (chemical imbalance). My family doctor put me and my mother on it at the same time. We both were nauseous and had headaches for the first 2 weeks, the subsided. Then we went up a dose after a month to 100 mg and had the same side affects again but then went away. Now we are both happy-go-lucky. Zoloft made me normal again. Which I had forgotten what normal was years ago. Saved my marriage and my life as well. I recommend taking it at night though.

March 8, 2012 3:17 PM