User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

"Zoloft has helped me tremendously! I am going on week 6. I kept going on the Internet reading the terrible side effects. I kept putting it off even though my sister in law is a pharmacist. I was scared. Terified. I'm in my 40s very fit. I kept thinking I would feel better. I thought it was hormones. I kept having panic attacks which didn't last long, but it still happened.There was a lot that happened over the course of the months and I believe my body just said enough. So once I experienced the panic attacks it fueled to the fire, worry set in and it was a terrible cycle. I started it after my friend opened up. I didn't feel alone. The first week I experienced diarrhea three days. No insomnia, no weight gain. I'm calmer for sure!"

Ddc2030 April 28, 2016

"Horrible. I was put on it right after the birth of my 2nd son for anxiety. It took me 2 years to realize that the Zoloft was the cause of my increased desire to drink (I would drink a bottle of whiskey and think nothing of it, and before Zoloft, that never would have happened), weight gain (over 30 lbs) and overall depersonalized and foggy feeling. I felt like a robot going through the motions. I became very lazy (I am a go-go-go person. Never have I been lazy in my life) and it negatively affected my relationships with my husband and kids. I was just disinterested in everything. I was really unhappy. I never thought it was the Zoloft, I just thought I was a stressed, tired and burned out mom... I've successfully weaned off and will never take it again"

LilyMae39 April 19, 2016

"I had some anxiety in college, then graduated, and the anxiety stayed. I used medication as my last resort, and after my doctor decided taking clonazepam everyday wasn't cutting it- I went on Zoloft. I expressed my concern about the weight gain aspect of this drug, and my doctor told me this was weight neutral....HA. a year later and I am 25 pounds heavier despite strict diet and exercise. The drug does wonders for anxiety, but I cannot deal with the weight. I am now considered obese. I've tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work is simply not eating (which obviously isn't practical). I am in the process of getting off this drug."

Lpars (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

"After two months of being on this medication, I had to wean off. I just couldn't take it anymore. You feel absolutely horrible on this stuff. Severe brain fog, unease, restless, extremely affected my cognitive abilities, etc. This was the worst SSRI I have ever taken. It did not work for me, however, it might work for you. After two months of being off the medication, the brain fog and cognitive abilities are still present, this did not happen on other SSRIs."

Dave202020 March 26, 2016

"I read these reviews, body tingling, shaking, concentrating on every breath or I would choke to death, using all of my will to focus on these reviews with tears in my eyes imagining that some of these success stories could happen to me and promised to write one if i could make it out alive. I'm 22 and started having severe panic 2 years ago. Don't worry about the side effects. If your experience was like mine every day, side effects would be a break from the dread and torture I felt every second. Zoloft brought me right back to the person I remember being before the panic. Just try it and give it time. It gradually got better over 3 weeks along with klonopin for attacks in that time. I hope this gives someone the hope and courage to try it."

DomB March 16, 2016

"I am 6 days into Sertraline 50mg for panic disorder and want to reassure anyone who is terrified of starting this drug because they've read about all the terrible side effects, just as I was. I am a 23yr old female suffering from this for 8 years. Various therapies have helped but I keep relapsing. Last week I gave in and spoke to my Dr about meds. The first night I panicked because I was so scared of the side effects, which turned out to be mild at worst. Insomnia the first night, day 2 mild headache + slight diarrhea, and slight nausea on day 3+4, also loss of appetite. Overall, it felt like a mild hangover. I have felt slight anxiety at times, but it subsides quickly and doesn't develop. I'm feeling calmer already not even a week in!"

Cleo1992 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

"It's been over a year now that I've been on Zoloft. I take 200 mg a day and I still cannot believe how much my life has changed/improved!! I am 36 years old and had been suffering from severe panic attacks, anxiety, and agoraphobia for almost 15 years...it was a complete challenge to get to work and even imagine a day without the feeling of anxiety from literally the time I woke up until I went to bed.. .I wasn't enjoying life at all, I was just existing. I had absolutely no control of my own conscious!! I finally decided that I had to try a prescription or else I would let this take over what little life I had completely! I started Zoloft on 25mg and worked up to the max of 200mg over about three months. It was the best decision ever!"

Winnie333 March 5, 2016

"Okay first of all! It will work! You need to give it time. Don't search up how long it will work that gives you more anxiety! Mine took a while to work. I was originally on 50mg and my appetite was getting better. But after 3 weeks my sleep still wasn't better and I had to up my dose to 100mg. I am starting to sleep normally again after taking this for 6 weeks! I really do fully feel like my self and I'm not waking up with panic anymore. It makes you feel so good to the point that you feel so normal that you'll be wondering if you don't need to take it anymore. I fortunately only get anxiety because I'm in school. So I hope to taper off of it after I'm done with school!"

Nursing School Problems (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

"I been on Zoloft for almost a month an I started on 25mg the first 1 to 2 weeks were ok I had mild nausea heart racing insomnia but went away start working but when I up my dose to 50 mg nausea burning stomach gas running to the bathroom I hope this feeling goes away soon scared."

Babylionhead March 4, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for 6 months 100mg a day. It worked great for me. Then out of the blue I started feel bad again like I felt before I started Zoloft. Low energy & borderline anxiety attacks all day every day."

britney31915 March 1, 2016

"I've been on Zoloft since I was 21 and I'm now 31. One day I woke up with intense crying, depression, anxiety , fear of family and friends dying and self harm . My personality is one of a very happy go lucky girl and I refused to live with this nightmare. So my doctor put me on 50mg Zoloft. It took about a month for it to work and I had the tiredness, yawning , feeling completely out of it , to waking up and feeling amazing . I have tried to come off Zoloft throughout the years and man the side affects suck ! Intense anxiety, feels like your brain is exploding and vertigo. If you do decide to come off make sure you're under the supervision of your doctor. To this day zoloft has helped me and I will be on this for the rest of my life."

Kristin84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2016

"I Have been on this medication for over a year. Was prescribed 50mg by my doctor due to severe anxiety and panic disorder. I have since not had a single severe panic attack, it also helped a little with my social anxiety. However, it takes longer to reach orgasm and I am only in the mood at nighttime and I have gained 40 pounds and I seem to lack motivation, I also feel like the effects are slowly wearing off so I may have to up the dose slightly or switch to a new medication. I had no initial side effects. I think this medicine works a lot better for anxiety than depression."

Worrierobsessed February 23, 2016

"I'm 24 years old and have suffered anxiety and Panic disorder now for 2 years. Unfortunately my diagnosis was not made until 6 months ago and before that I was severely stuffed around by the medical profession making my Panic and anxiety that much worse. I'm on to day 16 of this medication and i'm hoping it is yet to take full effect. I have definitely noticed an improvement as I haven't had a full blown attack for 2 weeks however I still think of them and feel them coming on daily, this may well be a habitual thing though and from what I've read it can take 4-6 weeks so i'm feeling hopeful. I had all the side effects but these were easy compared to the panic attacks I was experiencing. I'll check in soon to see if that switch has flicked:)"

Chrissypie February 23, 2016

"Hi everyone. I am recently a new user of zoloft. I am in the process of weaning off the current antidepressant pristiq, which I feel has been not helping me...so my therapist recommended zoloft. She had me start by weaning off pristiq by taking my full dosage and half dosage of zoloft and by week 4 I'll be completely off pristiq and on zoloft. I'm curious how everyone feels about zolof...their side affects, improvements etc. I suffer from anxiety attacks and slight depression."

missteecpa333000 February 22, 2016

"So far Zoloft has proven to be very helpful. I gave it the rating I did because it's only been two weeks on it. I have had 2 panic attacks today but so far so good. The Zoloft did keep them from going full blown. It's like I just all of a sudden began to calm down. I still feel a little anxious but I definitely have energy now. I started out on 25mg and then increased to 50mg the following week. I do have excessive yawning and some fatigue but overall this medicine is awesome. The doctors decided to try me on this because one day I just woke up and began to have panic attacks and they continually got worse. I was on Celexa 20mg which didn't help at all with anxiety. The reviews on this page definitely gives me hope to continue using this."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"I'm on day 11 of taking Zoloft 25mg. Thus far, I hate this drug. Put on it for anxiety and panic attacks. Doc wouldn't prescribe Xanax as I have an addictive personality so wanted to avoid benzos altogether. I've experienced all the side effects of this drug within the first three days. Headaches, dizziness, diarrhea and anxiety seems worse than before I was put on this. I keep reading that it takes four to six weeks for the drug to take effect and that it gets worse before it gets better. Is this true? I'm supposed to try to stay on it a full month and go from there. I'm 41 and female. And thus far, hate this drug."

AnotherZoloftUser February 12, 2016

"This medication has saved my life, I feel so relaxed on zoloft. Works extremely well for anxiety, panic disorders. Makes me drowsy but otherwise its great, I would recommend this."

ShawnaL977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

"I love Zoloft. I struggled with severe panic arrays associated with driving and social interactions also I had mild depression. What I will say is find the right dosage for you and don't be afraid to talk about increasing the dosage if it's not working after a few months. I did lose my appetite for a while initially. Also, do not abruptly stop taking it that spiraled me into a severe depression."

Ce Tee (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2016

"I am working on a cross wean from lexapro to zoloft after lex pooped out after ten years. Up to 50 mg now and 5 mg of lex and feeling so so so much better. No more panic attacks, no more waiting in bed until my klonopin kicks in, sleeping better, depression drastically decreased and feel I have a purpose in life again. Mild GI distress, but I'd take that forever over where I was. Wish I had had the guts to do this sooner."

Stargirl82 January 10, 2016

"I was prescribe Zoloft for anxiety attacks I have prior to leaving me house. I was prescribed 100mg but was to break in half for 10 days. Told to take at bed time. When I woke up I could tell something was different and as I began to move around it got worse. I literally thought I was loosing my mind and going crazy. I don't know how else to explain it. I freaked out and became paranoid and thought this was the end. I finally was able to get my wife up and she suddenly knew something was wrong. . Finally ambulance made it and EMS said appears I'm having and adverse reactions to the meds and took me. Doctor gave me Adivan."

Rbh (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

"I promised myself I would share my experience after I gave it at least 5 months and especially if Zoloft worked. I was so afraid to take it for reasons I read such as bad side effects. Well, I suggest to start low.. I started out at 12.5mg, half of the 25mg and I did have side effects for 5 days, nausea, no appetite and night sweats. After 5 days that part was over. I noticed around 3 months that my panic attacks and anxiety was almost gone. I have 2 young kids and I spent so much time worrying, scared of passing out behind the wheel or grocery stores.. I am feeling a lot better now, just living my life and enjoying my kids. I'm grateful for Zoloft, it really does help."

Angie2016 January 5, 2016

"I was terrified to try Zoloft! I read all the reviews and kept putting it off. Afraid I would suffer and afraid to give it a try. I was taking klonopin and my doctor cut it off. Told me to start taking Zoloft. I went through weeks of hell while I was debating on starting. I could barely drive I was struggling with sadness and moods all over the place and I finally decided I couldn't live like this anymore. I tried Zoloft starting at 25 mg for the first week - the only side affect I had was mild nausea and tiredness at first - after three days it was hardly noticeable. The fear I had to start trying zoloft kept me from feeling as good as I do now - I'm so grateful I tried it and hope anyone scared to will just do it. I'm glad I did"

Happy I Tried January 5, 2016

"Works great for me with anxiety and stress. I'm at 100mg daily. I have been taken it for about 6 months. Also helps with anger issues."

Scorpionjew (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016

"I started zoloft after months of bad panic episodes. I was previously on celexa, but I did not feel it was working anymore. I started on 50mg's and have worked up to 100mg. I have had all the side effects people talk about. Insomnia, shakiness, fast heart beat etc. I've been on that dose for almost 3 weeks now and my anxiety is still very high. I take klonopin .5mg at night to sleep and another .5mg in the day if I absolutely have to have it. I'm still waiting for that switch that everyone is talking about. Not sure if I need to increase the dose or ride it out. I feel terrible right now. I meditate and try breathing excercises, but I still feel awful. I need some reassurance please..."

littlegr (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

"I am a 30 year old female that has had Panic Disorder with Agoraphobia, Emetophobia, and Social Phobia for the last 20 years. I have been on several medications (Seroquel, Depakote, Celexa, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Effexor, Topamax, and now Zoloft) throughout the years combined with therapy to help with these issues. I started Zoloft July 2015 and had terrible nausea from it. It was the most intense burning sensation in my stomach, even after taking it with food. I was on it for 3 months, ranging from 12.5mg to 50mg. Nausea didn't go away and didn't help any of my disorders. I am now on Lexapro and have great results. I wouldn't recommend Zoloft."

Ashley2994 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2015