User Reviews for Zoloft

Learn more about Zoloft.

Zoloft review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Zoloft to treat Panic Disorder

Review by Ann81:

I really hope to help someone out there suffering with this nightmare called "Panic Disorder". I suffered for the last 2 years with debilitating panic. My dad died of cancer two years ago, and one week later my son got very ill. Needless to say I had a nervous breakdown and ever since then panic ruled my life which led to depression and agoraphobia setting in. I was scared to death of SSRI's and suffered needlessly for 2 years. Two weeks ago I went to a Psychiatrist, he prescribed me Zoloft 25mg to start for 2 weeks then up it to 50mg. I am also taking 0.5mg Xanax twice a day. I have to say I feel great! Not a single panic attack since the 3rd day of taking med. I also am way more social and sleep a thousand times better! Thank you Zoloft!!

August 20, 2014 8:02 AM

Review by Gimp (taken for 10 years or more):

Suffered from anxiety most of my life, then around 23 suffered a panic attack which caused me problems until my late 40's when my doctor put me on Zoloft. Huge turnaround. Zero anxiety. While I don't think I'll ever forget the fear of panic attacks, I haven't had one since, and can do most things I used to be afraid of, Long Bridges, Elevators, etc.

August 2, 2014 9:05 PM

Review by Narelle 00:

Anxiety spiraled out of control over just a month following 18 months of grief, job loss and moving. I couldn't leave the house and was prescribed Zoloft 12.5mg, the side effects were pretty bad (no appetite, trembles and night sweats) but within two weeks these side effects passed and I began returning back to my old self 6 weeks later. I slowly built up to 175mg over 6 months and stayed at that dose for 1 year. Now, two years later, I have almost forgotten about anxiety and have begun reducing very very slowly (about 12.5mg every couple of months). I'm now taking 137.5mg and feel good, thank you Zoloft.

July 20, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Just to update the post I made Oct. 21, 2013. It's been a year and I'm at 50 mg and great. Whenever I feel that panic creeping in, I can talk myself through it and it is so much less intense. And I don't stress out about having another episode. Before Zoloft, the most problematic part of my panic was the constant fear of having another panic attack. This has really improved my life a great deal.

July 14, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by Soundchain (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have now been on Zoloft for 2 months and happy to report, I'm no longer NEEDING my oxazepam everyday YAY! Side effects I got were crazy heart palpitations, fatigue but both of these have subdued, mind you, it took 7 wks to do so, so for anyone just starting on it, stick it out. Its helped a lot with my anxiety.

June 17, 2014 10:40 PM

Review by Buckeyefan03:

I started taking birth control for acne a month ago and felt as if my anxiety had only gotten worse. After talking to my doctor she recommended I try a low dose of Zoloft. I've been on the medication for a week and have had 2 panic attacks. One yesterday as my plane was taking off. The most embarrassing experience ever! The flight attendants had to get me a bag to throw up in and had ice over the back of my neck. Today I am feeling exhausted and with down. I have read there are serious side effects within the first 2 weeks of taking this medication so I'm hoping I start to feel better. I am def. cutting out any coffee, energy drinks or alcohol.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 9:07 AM

Review by MInnieJohnny:

I have been taking Zoloft 100mg for 8 yrs now since my first experience of postpartum depression after my 2nd child, (I have always had panic attacks and depression it runs in my family, it has been working great until I had my 3rd child I had another bout of post partum depression. Dr tried to up my dose done this for one week made me have major side effects hot flashes, mood changes, zombie feeling so I went back down to my 100mg, I finally pulled out of it for awhile but I had a close friend pass away back in Dec 2013 and I already had health anxiety and I have had fears of dying since I had my 3rd child. I don't want to leave my children alone, the last 2 months have been the worst and I'm still taking Zoloft 100mg.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by Jktx:

Took 2 weeks to feel a bit better. Stick with it through side effects. I take 62.5 mg in the morning and 25 mg in evening now. After 5 months I feel pretty good.

May 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by annie larae curtis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had my first panic attack in June 2013. Thought I was going to die. Had them everyday after that. I couldn't go no where or do anything because I was so dizzy and scared. I went from June to Sept with no medicines. I was suicidal so I tried meds, First two days I was a zombie, no appetite. I felt weird but not like panic attack weird. I could tell a difference. I have been on my Zoloft 25ml since Sept 2013 and I am 97% better. I have my days where I feel weird but if you have severe panic attacks like I did you will know that even feeling 5% better would be nice so 97% is amazing! This medicine saved my life.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by Slogg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It did a little something right from day 1, but really the first month was pretty strange. I went back and forth, finally settling on taking 1 50mg pill in the morning. At first that made me extra sleepy all day, but that effect went away. I was feeling a bit stoned for the first month or so, but that went away too. Now I have the ticklings of panic creep up in the normal situations, but if only for the placebo effect, I can tell myself it isn't real. It will go away. And then it always does! Thanks Zoloft!

March 17, 2014 10:41 AM

Review by CMP72:

My Dr. put me on 25mg to help me sleep and stop unwanted thoughts as a result of marital stress. I was experiencing a knot in my stomach and episodes of weeping. Since starting this medication, I feel so much happier, rested, relaxed. I had diarrhea for the first 2 days, but it was mild. I am not feeling out of control anymore. I think when my marriage issues are over, I will stop taking it. This medicine has really come through!

March 17, 2014 9:29 AM

Review by mazz3685 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've suffered from panic disorder for over 10 years now. After a bad panic attack put me in an ambulance, I finally decided to try Zoloft. I would recommend that anyone with panic disorder start off at 12.5mg for a couple of weeks before you decide to up the dose. Mainly because the side effects can be rough when you first start. Only increase when YOU feel you need to, and not based on what a doctor feels is an effective dose. You are probably going to feel crappy the first couple weeks, this is the case for most people, and does not mean the medicine isn't working. It does eventually get better.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2014 3:10 AM

Review by anicko (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I promised to come back and do a review of the medicine if it had worked for me. About a year ago I had constant panic attacks which eventually became fear to drive, fear to be at a restaurant, waking up and feeling that it would be my last day on this world. Doctor said I have anxiety disorder. After trying another medicine with no results started me on 0.5mg Sertraline. After a year I can honestly say that I am 98% "panic free". Huge relief within the first couple weeks but give it some time to experience the full medicine effect (couple months). Noticeable side effects: Sometimes I need to focus on remembering simple things, weight LOSS (at the beginning) now I'm normal again.

January 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by mazz3685:

I think Zoloft can work well for panic disorders. I would've given it an 8-9, but the start up side effects were pretty rough for about 2 weeks, and a lot of other things seem to interact with it...at least in my case. I can't drink, at all. If I do, I experience side effects again for 2-3 days, including increased anxiety. Also, I've noticed that if I take ibuprofen or Tylenol, I also experience side effects again. I thought perhaps I was being paranoid, but there's actually studies that confirm they decrease effectiveness of SSRI's. When I don't drink or take pain meds, it works wonderfully, but its a bit of a pain. It also seems to help if you suffer from migraines.

December 28, 2013 7:27 PM

Review by Bobo13:

Rgdadad, Your story sounds exactly like mine. I'm currently on 25mg, Day 13 not feeling better yet. I had severe attack last night.

December 17, 2013 5:52 PM

Review by Rgdadad:

This message is for anyone out there right now reading this. I am a 32 year old father of four with a wonderful wife. Good career/nice home. I had no reason to feel depressed/stress/panic/ anxiety however, a few months ago it happened and all started with first panic attack on night of my birthday. I fought doctors advice and tried to only take Xanax as needed all the while the symptoms became worse. After 3 long months I broke down and took my first Zoloft. 2 weeks later I am me again. Going places/eating/enjoying/laughing/living. This is the medicine you need/TAKE IT/don't think about it/TAKE IT. Your life will come back and only memories of panic/anxiety. Your brain is off balance due to stress. You need this medicine to correct it.

246 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 1:17 PM

Review by Anndiva (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft saved my life and my marriage. I am so grateful to the doctor who put me on this 9 weeks ago. A few side effects at start up but that went away in a matter of days and it has been smooth sailing since. Tons of energy, up early, great sleep, and I'm not binge eating. I've even lost 8.5 lbs. I was skeptical at first and hated the fact that I needed medication for anxiety and depression, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot. For now, I will continue on this medication.

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2013 7:30 AM

Review by Brxxke (taken for 5 to 10 years):

It helps a ton for anxiety. :)

November 21, 2013 10:52 PM

Review by Brxxke:

I have been on Sertraline/Zoloft (on different doses at different times for different occasions) for about 6 years now, and it has helped me a tremendous amount. I highly recommend it.

November 21, 2013 10:46 PM

Review by shammy414 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Changed my whole life.

November 10, 2013 2:08 AM

Review by zoloft4unme (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zoloft has really helped my life a great deal you never understand how much you needed help until you get treatment and be able to see such a better difference in your live but it all starts with you and yes its a journey but its one worth taking

November 3, 2013 9:43 PM

Review by bettermenow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've never tried med's because I always assumed I was normal until I was forced by my wife to get help because I couldn't beat this on my own so I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg twice a day and now I feel a lot better.

October 27, 2013 10:04 PM

Just like you, I was reading these reviews a few months ago when I finally made the decision to give medication a try. I hope this review helps and gives you comfort. I've been on 50 mg for seven weeks now.Started at 25mg for the first seven days. The first two weeks saw a spike in anxiety just like I figured. But I stayed with it, and I'm so glad I did. I had a pretty intense panic attack the first week, but I noticed something: I didn't stress out about having another one like I usually do. By the third week the panic attacks and panicky feelings were pretty much gone. I've also noticed that my mood has lifted, and I can fall asleep much better at night. This is my first ssri, and I really regret not seeking help sooner

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by Feel more positive (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm currently 22 and a college student. I began having panic/anxiety attacks in July 2013. I thought I wasn't going to be able to attend class anymore cause I used to have a hard time sitting still. I felt the need to move around but at the same time I felt fatigued. I used to take L-Theanine, which helped some. I then switched to Zoloft, which is currently working good too. I feel more focused. I don't feel like crying for no reason anymore. I don't feel as angry at everyone anymore. Best of all, no apparent jitters--which was the main problem I was aiming at to get rid off. Thanks Zoloft. Now I can get back to focusing on my school work.

October 17, 2013 6:02 PM

Review by Heismighty1970 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It was prescribed for anxiety & post traumatic stress. It helped with that in addition to my mood. I am set at 150mg. When I first started off, it was 25mg, the first few days were a challenge. But I got over the hump. Now I'm planning to get off of it. I don't want to be dependant on this medicine too long.

October 14, 2013 12:29 PM