User Reviews for Saw palmetto

Also known as: Prostate SR

Learn more about Saw palmetto.

Overactive Bladder 0 reviews 22 medications

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 5 reviews 15 medications

Herbal Supplementation 0 reviews 14 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Saw palmetto reviews 5 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Saw palmetto

Review by Louiesplace (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Doing well on 450mg capsules, and on a teaspoon of bulk powder in a 10 oz. cup of green tea with lemon juice added.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2012 2:44 PM

Review by pjc33:

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: I actually had really good results with 1000 mg of saw palmetto once a day. My hair loss appeared to reverse itself noticeably. My somewhat swollen prostate issue decreased. I didn't have any sexual side effects. But about 3 weeks into the use, I developed a horrible rash one my belly and my back. It stayed with me until I stopped using saw palmetto and then it disappeared within about 3 days. I kept using the saw palmetto for an additional 2 months before stopping it.

June 5, 2011 5:56 AM

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: Saw Palmetto works well, but has an unfortunate and often unrecognized side effect. The recommended dose will cause very painful finger joints with extended use. Most users think it is simply their arthritis getting worse, as most patients are older men who are subject to arthritis anyway. A blend containing stinging nettle seems to cause less problems, in this respect.

January 15, 2011 7:54 PM

Review by Helpmom221:

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A lot cheaper than Flomax. Works great if taken regularly.

January 25, 2010 11:10 AM

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: I tried Saw Palmetto for approximately 2 years for a mild urinary problem - slow start, weak, intermittent stream, up 2-3 times per night. It didn't take care of the problem, but seemed to help some. As time went on, I increased the dose from 1,000 to 2,000 mg/day to achieve the same amount of relief. I tried stopping altogether and my problem got worse. Overall, I would say Saw Palmetto helps a little and may be worth a try - at least there are no side effects.

August 7, 2009 2:50 PM