User Reviews for Maxalt

Learn more about Maxalt.

Maxalt Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Maxalt to treat Migraine

"Maxalt always seems to be my rescue drug for putting off full migraine. My Dr told me to take full 10mg tab (I would take 5mg as it worked) to alleviate rebound headaches. Also, she wanted to limit my intake of Maxalt to 2xday/2days wk/2days inbetween. I recently tried this with other drugs she prescribed for headaches inbetween. I ended up in ER yesterday with the WORST migraine of my life. I'm looking for another Dr. and blame the new regimen for the problem. Has anyone else been told about limiting their Maxalt in this way? I get anywhere between 2-6 headaches a month, usually."

Thessa (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2015

"I am 56 and I've suffered with migraines since I was 5 years old. Maxalt is the only migraine medication that has worked wonders for me!! I take one as soon as I get the slightest beginning of a migraine and it is gone in 20 minutes! Not only that, but I've been taking it for 3 years now and I used to get 2 or 3 migraines a month, and now I only get about 1 every 2 months! Maxalt has been like a miracle for me...I no longer have to suffer with horrible headaches!! Additionally, I have not experienced any side effects!"

Teacher3rd March 24, 2015

"I've had migraines for years and have been given everything for them. I also believe I've gone through every triptan that one could imagine. This medicine has been phenomenal in relieving really tough migraine pain. Within 30 minutes I can get relief. Also, I like that you can get it in sublingual form. Sometimes my migraines are so bad that I'm constantly throwing up everything. When I'm nauseous the sublingual form is wonderful, however, it also comes in a tiny tablet. I keep this with me at all times. It has saved me from multiple hospital visits in the past. Hope this helps!"

Elebia (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2015

"Works!"

Jwkkkk May 7, 2014

"I had migraines for nearly 35 years after working in a building that had been "bug bombed" overnight. About 10 years ago I realized they only came from neck pain and chiropractic did not help. After an exceptionally bad reaction 3 years ago to Cafergot, I was prescribed Maxalt and it became my wonder medicine. I have not had a migraine now in nearly 18 months (something in my neck has moved to relieve the pressure) but I still take Maxalt when nothing else will get rid of a bad headache after all night pain last night, it was gone in 10 minutes when I finally took it this morning. I wish I had known about it decades ago, none of the other triptans worked for me."

jessegooddog (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2014

"I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

"I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver."

LizCarter January 10, 2014

"I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me. "

Femborg (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2014

"I had a migraine for 7 days. When I finally couldn't take the pain anymore, I went to my doctor and was prescribed this medication. Within 20 minutes my migraine was gone. Its heaven sent. You have to take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Also it makes me very sleepy. But almost all medications do that to me. If you haven't taken it ...get it. It will solve your migraine problems."

dfel October 13, 2013

"At 59 years of age have been suffering migraines since I was 21. Think I have tried every medication available in the UK. Maxalt is the only thing that has ever worked for me.Pain usually gone after 20 minutes, before I took Maxalt I could be in bed for 2 days rolling around in agony. Only side effects are tiredness and strangely It makes me sneeze just once as soon as I have taken it. Maxalt has completely changed my life. Fortunate to live in UK as I get it free on national health prescription."

SUE UK (taken for 10 years or more) September 29, 2013

"Amazing relief, almost instantly I feel some relief and migraine is gone within half hour. No side effects at all."

Fellow sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2013

"This medication worked well to keep my cluster headache pain to a minimum. I found it did not work well when the cluster lasted longer than 2 weeks."

Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2013

"I have tried different medicines for migraines, all just calmed it down a little, it just had to run its 3 day duration. Am seeing another Dr & she put me on Maxalt yesterday, my migraine was gone within an hour of taking it. I just want to go back and hug her because after 5 yrs of trying I just accepted my pain. It made me drowsy, but I will take drowsy over pain any day."

shiqs (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2013

"Bad headaches. This medicine works like it says it should."

ellyrae (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2013

"I have only experienced a handful of migraines as an adult (had them often as a child but they ended with puberty), but frequency has increased to 3 within the last year. This was the first time I have had migraine medicine to take. Dr. gave me a few different samples - Maxalt 10mg was the one I took. It was really AMAZING that within 5 minutes of taking it the vice-like pain was gone. I did experience extreme fatigue, some nausea, diuresis (clammy & sweaty), and some muscle pain, but, to be honest I just tried to sleep through most of it. I woke up about 2hrs later feeling better and able to function again. Next time I will ask for a prescription for 5mg, which may decrease the side effects."

Dianajh73 January 20, 2013

"I had been on Maxalt for about a year with minor, but bearable side effects sometimes. Slight tightening of my jaw and surrounding muscles. Last time I took it was the LAST time I was taking it. The tightening sensation I felt was unbearable throughout my head down to my arms. If it didn't start to ease up when it did I was going to go to the hospital. It did take away the pain. That's the only positive thing I can say....but only briefly. The next day my migraine came back almost full force."

SCad1004 October 15, 2012

"I've always had 3 day migraines. MaxAlt will take it away in about 35 minutes. Sometimes I would have to take another one (dissolved in my mouth) the next day. I cannot stress enough how much I love this medicine. I come from days when Darvon's were given for migraines, they didn't do anything but zombie you with the pain. I thank the scientist who figured out how to control whatever it is that is being controlled. Of course, it IS too expensive. Without insurance, I would have to suffer, as they are about $32 per pill!"

Just Sayin' (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2012

"Tried Imitrex and Relpax first, but had bad heart-squeezing and neck-squeezing side effects. Tried Maxalt and did not have that problem. It usually takes away the migraines, but can take 1-2 hours to get relief. I'm also very fatigued after the pain goes away, which makes daytime onset of migraines a hassle. Also for the 1-2 hours I am waiting for it to work, the pain actually intensifies until suddenly it lets go and the blood vessels in my head feel cold. Strange, but true."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 18, 2012

"I have suffered from migraines Since An Auto accident in 2009, sometime as many as 15 a month. I was prescribed Maxalt this past year (after trying a whole bag of other medicines). It has given me my life back... within thirty minutes after taking Maxalt the symptoms decrease by 50% and are gone within an hour. Several side effects, very drowsy and increased nausea but after several hours of sleep all is good."

Anonymous September 5, 2012

"Maxalt was a wonderful medication for two years, then its effectiveness rapidly diminished. My unforeshadowed migraines feature very mild headaches; instead, I first lost my sense of balance, then my lunch, and then the desire to live for the next three hours. Although I was on a migraine-suppressing tricyclic and metroprolol, migraines would punch through two to eight times a month. Maxalt shutdown such migraines within 20 minutes-no side effects. (NOTE: Maxalt did not suppress the rare aura). After further adjustment of my daily medicines, my rescue medicine became Relpax 2 Aleve."

JW in Maryland (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2012

"Maxalt has helped me so much. My migraines get so intense and the minute I take Maxalt I start to feel relief."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2012

"I've had migraines since I was about 9 years old because of a life long battle with insomnia. When I was a kid and I had my first migraine...I thought I was dying. I didn't understand what I had, what set it off or why I had it. And the pain and all of the vomiting. EVERYTHING hurt. Any light, the slightest noise and any movement I made while in bed made the migraine worse and I'd start vomiting NON-STOP. The doctor prescribed Maxalt to me. I didn't even know they MADE medicines for migraines and I have to say I cannot be without it. But as the directions state, take AS SOON as you feel a migraine (not just a headache) coming on. Your body usually gives you signs, for me it's excessive yawning every few seconds and irritability."

When Dee April 2, 2012

"I have had migraines since I was 9 so for 22 years now. I tried Imitrex nasals with no results. My hero of a doctor prescribed Maxalt 8 years ago and I can manage my life now. I don't have any side effects from it although it wouldn't matter since I now get relief! I have found migraine medicines are hit or miss for many so I'm beyond pleased I found a hit. I recommend Maxalt to anyone that will listen."

Anonymous March 12, 2012

"It worked on an established migraine (six hours into a severe cluster headache) but took about three hours for the full effect to kick in. The fast dissolve pill was really nice."

Anonymous February 15, 2012

"I don't normally take anything because I don't like to depend on medication. I used Maxalt 10mg (sample) for the first time- I think the combination of eating and taking this helped to mitigate the onset of a migraine. It did make me have to pee alot- which i have to watch because I get dehyrated easily which causes a significant drop in my blood pressure. Will try Maxalt again and monitor any other side effects. As long as the only side effect is a couple of extra trips to the bathroom I will definitely keep this. I only take a daily dose of 400mg of magnesium oxide."

Anonymous February 12, 2012