User Reviews for Maxalt

Learn more about Maxalt.

Maxalt review summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Maxalt to treat Migraine

Review by Jwkkkk:

Works!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by jessegooddog (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had migraines for nearly 35 years after working in a building that had been "bug bombed" overnight. About 10 years ago I realized they only came from neck pain and chiropractic did not help. After an exceptionally bad reaction 3 years ago to Cafergot, I was prescribed Maxalt and it became my wonder medicine. I have not had a migraine now in nearly 18 months (something in my neck has moved to relieve the pressure) but I still take Maxalt when nothing else will get rid of a bad headache after all night pain last night, it was gone in 10 minutes when I finally took it this morning. I wish I had known about it decades ago, none of the other triptans worked for me.

April 11, 2014 11:37 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income.

February 4, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by LizCarter:

I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver.

January 10, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Femborg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2014 12:52 PM

Review by dfel:

I had a migraine for 7 days. When I finally couldn't take the pain anymore, I went to my doctor and was prescribed this medication. Within 20 minutes my migraine was gone. Its heaven sent. You have to take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Also it makes me very sleepy. But almost all medications do that to me. If you haven't taken it ...get it. It will solve your migraine problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2013 8:36 PM

Review by SUE UK (taken for 10 years or more):

At 59 years of age have been suffering migraines since I was 21. Think I have tried every medication available in the UK. Maxalt is the only thing that has ever worked for me.Pain usually gone after 20 minutes, before I took Maxalt I could be in bed for 2 days rolling around in agony. Only side effects are tiredness and strangely It makes me sneeze just once as soon as I have taken it. Maxalt has completely changed my life. Fortunate to live in UK as I get it free on national health prescription.

September 29, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Fellow sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Amazing relief, almost instantly I feel some relief and migraine is gone within half hour. No side effects at all.

June 22, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication worked well to keep my cluster headache pain to a minimum. I found it did not work well when the cluster lasted longer than 2 weeks.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by shiqs (taken for less than 1 month):

I have tried different medicines for migraines, all just calmed it down a little, it just had to run its 3 day duration. Am seeing another Dr & she put me on Maxalt yesterday, my migraine was gone within an hour of taking it. I just want to go back and hug her because after 5 yrs of trying I just accepted my pain. It made me drowsy, but I will take drowsy over pain any day.

April 12, 2013 3:00 PM

Review by ellyrae (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Bad headaches. This medicine works like it says it should.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2013 12:49 PM

Review by Dianajh73:

I have only experienced a handful of migraines as an adult (had them often as a child but they ended with puberty), but frequency has increased to 3 within the last year. This was the first time I have had migraine medicine to take. Dr. gave me a few different samples - Maxalt 10mg was the one I took. It was really AMAZING that within 5 minutes of taking it the vice-like pain was gone. I did experience extreme fatigue, some nausea, diuresis (clammy & sweaty), and some muscle pain, but, to be honest I just tried to sleep through most of it. I woke up about 2hrs later feeling better and able to function again. Next time I will ask for a prescription for 5mg, which may decrease the side effects.

January 20, 2013 5:15 PM

Review by SCad1004:

I had been on Maxalt for about a year with minor, but bearable side effects sometimes. Slight tightening of my jaw and surrounding muscles. Last time I took it was the LAST time I was taking it. The tightening sensation I felt was unbearable throughout my head down to my arms. If it didn't start to ease up when it did I was going to go to the hospital. It did take away the pain. That's the only positive thing I can say....but only briefly. The next day my migraine came back almost full force.

October 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Review by Just Sayin' (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've always had 3 day migraines. MaxAlt will take it away in about 35 minutes. Sometimes I would have to take another one (dissolved in my mouth) the next day. I cannot stress enough how much I love this medicine. I come from days when Darvon's were given for migraines, they didn't do anything but zombie you with the pain. I thank the scientist who figured out how to control whatever it is that is being controlled. Of course, it IS too expensive. Without insurance, I would have to suffer, as they are about $32 per pill!

October 9, 2012 8:05 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tried Imitrex and Relpax first, but had bad heart-squeezing and neck-squeezing side effects. Tried Maxalt and did not have that problem. It usually takes away the migraines, but can take 1-2 hours to get relief. I'm also very fatigued after the pain goes away, which makes daytime onset of migraines a hassle. Also for the 1-2 hours I am waiting for it to work, the pain actually intensifies until suddenly it lets go and the blood vessels in my head feel cold. Strange, but true.

September 18, 2012 1:44 PM

I have suffered from migraines Since An Auto accident in 2009, sometime as many as 15 a month. I was prescribed Maxalt this past year (after trying a whole bag of other medicines). It has given me my life back... within thirty minutes after taking Maxalt the symptoms decrease by 50% and are gone within an hour. Several side effects, very drowsy and increased nausea but after several hours of sleep all is good.

September 5, 2012 12:46 PM

Review by JW in Maryland (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Maxalt was a wonderful medication for two years, then its effectiveness rapidly diminished. My unforeshadowed migraines feature very mild headaches; instead, I first lost my sense of balance, then my lunch, and then the desire to live for the next three hours. Although I was on a migraine-suppressing tricyclic and metroprolol, migraines would punch through two to eight times a month. Maxalt shutdown such migraines within 20 minutes-no side effects. (NOTE: Maxalt did not suppress the rare aura). After further adjustment of my daily medicines, my rescue medicine became Relpax 2 Aleve.

June 19, 2012 4:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Maxalt has helped me so much. My migraines get so intense and the minute I take Maxalt I start to feel relief.

June 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Review by When Dee:

I've had migraines since I was about 9 years old because of a life long battle with insomnia. When I was a kid and I had my first migraine...I thought I was dying. I didn't understand what I had, what set it off or why I had it. And the pain and all of the vomiting. EVERYTHING hurt. Any light, the slightest noise and any movement I made while in bed made the migraine worse and I'd start vomiting NON-STOP. The doctor prescribed Maxalt to me. I didn't even know they MADE medicines for migraines and I have to say I cannot be without it. But as the directions state, take AS SOON as you feel a migraine (not just a headache) coming on. Your body usually gives you signs, for me it's excessive yawning every few seconds and irritability.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2012 7:41 PM

I have had migraines since I was 9 so for 22 years now. I tried Imitrex nasals with no results. My hero of a doctor prescribed Maxalt 8 years ago and I can manage my life now. I don't have any side effects from it although it wouldn't matter since I now get relief! I have found migraine medicines are hit or miss for many so I'm beyond pleased I found a hit. I recommend Maxalt to anyone that will listen.

March 12, 2012 12:24 AM

It worked on an established migraine (six hours into a severe cluster headache) but took about three hours for the full effect to kick in. The fast dissolve pill was really nice.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2012 12:32 PM

I don't normally take anything because I don't like to depend on medication. I used Maxalt 10mg (sample) for the first time- I think the combination of eating and taking this helped to mitigate the onset of a migraine. It did make me have to pee alot- which i have to watch because I get dehyrated easily which causes a significant drop in my blood pressure. Will try Maxalt again and monitor any other side effects. As long as the only side effect is a couple of extra trips to the bathroom I will definitely keep this. I only take a daily dose of 400mg of magnesium oxide.

February 12, 2012 4:22 PM

Maxalt has worked wonders for me. When I have migraines I never feel like swallowing tablets, so the fact that I have the dissolving tablet is an absolute bonus. Before this medicine I was bedridden for days at a time, and after a migraine, my head always felt so heavy and like a bowling ball. Now however I am able to go to work the next day. I recommend it to every person I meet!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2012 10:20 PM

Tried a sample of Maxalt that the doctor gave me for the first time today and could not believe the results. Within 1 hour the migraine was gone and within 2 hours I was back to normal and working. This is truly a miracle medicine for me. I also take 100 mg of Topamax daily so that has really cut down on the migraines but again the Maxalt was a lifesaver for me today. I am worried about my copay after reading some of the post on here but I do have to say that I think it will be worth it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2012 10:07 PM

Maxalt is truly one of the most amazing migraine medications I have ever tried, and believe me, having migraines as a child and now at 52 years of age, there have been many. As a migrainer, we truly know what suffering is. Maxalt is the best, although, after losing my job 18 months ago and with no success of getting another, it is too expensive. From my understanding the patent expires in 2012. I truly hope the price goes down for those of us who cannot be without it.

December 29, 2011 10:46 AM