User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 131 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

"I use this medication to help my migraines. I used to take Relpax. I quit taking it because it was too expensive and the side effects were strong. I like this medication because my insurance covers most of it and it is very effective with little side effects. The only cons are the taste (a little minty but the end has a bitter taste), I seem to get different side effects each time I take it (very mild, includes some drowsiness and nausea), also in my experience you need to take this medication as soon as you feel the migraine coming on or you may find yourself taking two or three pills during the migraine every two hours to keep it gone. Overall I find it very cost friendly and effective. I will continue using this medication."

MBailey23 April 20, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered with migraine since I was 12 yr old, and I'm now in my 50's. I've had every head exam and test possible as well as tried a myriad of medications over the years for treatment. From taking preventive type things daily to treating the pain only during the headache. Nothing has given me the swift relief as this drug. It seems to give me complete relief within 30-40 minutes, without any side effects (that I've noticed). I took immitrex for years with little relief and horrible side effects. It would make me feel dizzy, weird and always made me nauseous. So I stopped taking it. Now with the Maxalt, I'm thrilled to know I can take it without worry of unwanted side effect. Thank you Maxalt! Finally migraine relief! "

JCDFIELDS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 (now 23). My migraines were debilitating and caused me to miss a lot of school, so my doctor prescribed me Maxalt. Maxalt almost always cures my migraines within 1-2 hours! The relief is long lasting; one dose and I am usually pain-free for an entire day. For me, side effects are infrequent and usually very minor (sleepiness, dizziness, “foggy brain”). To elaborate on the “foggy brain” side effect, post-headache I would sometimes experience a feeling of euphoria combined with a difficulty concentrating. Usually this is not a big deal, but if I was taking an exam it would slightly affect my performance and concentration. Overall, a great medication that has improved my quality of life!"

Marissaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was 15 , and am now 42. Maxalt has changed my life ! I used to be in agony for up to 3 days , but now at the first sign of an attack I take one , very rarely I have had to take another one a few hours after that if it started to come back . It can sometimes make me drowsy, but other times I have no side effects , just relief that there is something that actually works . I'm in Australia, so a pack of 4 costs me $25 ."

Thepixie4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Since I was about 26 I have suffered from migraines (now 65) and tried everything from daily preventative meds, to expensive self injecting & very expensive medication, then cafegot suppositories with 3 aspro clear for the pain, I could spend hours and days feeling like dying and vomiting non stop, then there was a shortage of cafegot and that was hell, and finally they took it off the market, that is when my Dr. asked me to trial Maxalt wafers, at first I thought nothing could replace cafegot and I was very conscious of not taking ergotomine with rizatriptan. Maxalt is the best, it works within an hour, and so far after 4-5 years no side effects at all, and no more vomiting ever. Also I do not take any other drugs for anything, but Maxalt."

PamelaJB March 2, 2016

"This Med is nothing short of a miracle. Quick acting and has broken the cycle this making frequency decrease. Wish my insurance wasn't so tight on filling. I've waited years fora generic & they finally covered 4 pills. Woo hoo! Cheaper than an ER visit that doesn't even work as quickly. I would recommend this product to everyone who mentions the word migraine."

Sweedindeed (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had migraines since I was 11 and was first prescribed Maxalt when I was 17. It's wonderful. I take it as soon as I start to notice the signs of a migraine and about 70% of the time the first dose does the job, within an hour or less. Occasionally I take a second dose if the symptoms haven't gone after 2-3 hours. Very occasionally it doesn't work at all. It has improved my life enormously. I evangelize about it. My migraines used to last up to 3 days - now I get a unkillable one only once or twice a year. Side effects for me are (as someone else has mentioned) one sneeze within a few minutes of taking it, a little drowsiness and eventually a little euphoria (though maybe that's a rational response to knowing the migraine has gone)."

SarahOxford (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2016

"I used to suffer from migraines at least 2-3 times a month. Getting through work or just typical daily tasks used to be very stressful and painful. Taking this medication has changed my life for the better in so many ways. Even when a migraine comes on, I know I can knock it out with this medication. If you suffer from migraines talk to your MD about this medication. It will change your life!"

JMB 09 February 12, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've suffered from migraines almost all my life, first one (which I don't personally remember) was when I was five. My migraines can come a few days a week or as long as six months from each other so I prefer not to be on a every day medication. Having tried different types of medication, I am happy now that I have found something that really does help.I have probably been taking maxalt about 10 years now and have no desire to take anything else."

That Canadian Guy February 6, 2016

"I have headache for an unknown reason, but they are always in the left temple behind my eye. The pain is awful. I've tried every over the counter med and this is the only one that works. Hopefully the cause can be cured until then. This are doing the job"

Btrox (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

"This is the best sos pill for migraines, I barely have side-effects from it and if I melt it in my mouth it acts much faster killing my migraine in less than 20 minutes. I cannot imagine my life without Rizatriptan !! It gave me my life back!"

RubinaRoque (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 31, 2016

"Works within 2 hours but my migraine always returns the next day. I take the medication the next day - headache goes away within two hours - comes back the next day again. Medication works but I feel extremely tired and depressed for the three days. Insurance companies also limit me to 9 pills a month which adds to my stress."

Anonymous January 8, 2016

"I take Maxalt 10mg ODT when my Imitrex fails. Maxalt rarely fails and is actually my back up plan but has lately been my go to since Imitrex has stopped working completely. Maxalt is great! It works within an hour of taking it and I have little to no side effects. I give it a 9 because it does make me shake and if I take two, it will make me feel washed out the next day. Of course, all of this is an even trade for killing a migraine. Overall, great and effective drug!"

OodlesOPoodles January 2, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Works well, Headaches gone in about 2 hours of taking it."

Dave36 December 18, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Works nearly every time on one dose. The second dose will make you fell washed out for the next 24 hours. Life is normal with this drug as it works in about an hour. I am in the UK so NHS covers the costs of the drug."

Red Leader (taken for 10 years or more) October 24, 2015

"Today was my first time taking Rizatriptan and the fact that I am able to write this review just hours after the onset of a migraine is amazing because normally I would be completely down for the count for at least a whole day with a migraine. So here is my experience: I have taken countless meds before including Imitrex with terrible side effects and zero relief so naturally I was skeptical about this new med. I took it as soon as I knew that this was going to be a particularly bad migraine. The only side effect I had was sleepiness, no "heart attack" feeling as I had experienced with Imitrex. I fell asleep within 15 min of taking Rizatriptan and woke up 2 hours later completely migraine free."

Dani Ella October 23, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Usually works well for me and don't make me drowsy."

Onyshko September 3, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from hormonal migraines since puberty and am now in my fifties. I tried every option the Doctor could offer but nothing helped until I found Maxalt Melt about ten years ago. I call them my magic pill as they can clear a migraine completely within an hour. Very occasionally I have to take a second dose. They work for me with minimal side effects and are worth every penny. I'm in the UK so can get them on prescription."

Juliannaaaaa August 31, 2015

"I avoid drugs of all kinds and I'm a usually healthy person. After suffering years from horribly painful headaches that would leave me vomiting all day and totally out of it (I thought it was due to whiplash injury), my doctor prescribed Rizatriptan 10mg. It truly is a miracle drug for me. I use the melt-away tablets, and find the relief starts in about 15 minutes, and by 30 minutes, any headache is gone. I take them at the very beginning of symptoms. I do get sleepy, so I've learned that I can just take half a tablet, get the same result, and not feel so tired. I have had very slight jaw pain once or twice, and cutting back the dosage also alleviated that problem."

A miracle drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered migraines for since I was 30 and I am now 51. I use to lay in bed for days, and would end up in the hospital. I finally had a nurse ask me why wasn't I on prescription medication. I told her my doctor told me I would outgrow them. I took her advice and switched doctors. He put me on maxalt 10 mg, and it changed my life!!!!! I take them now when I feel the onset of a headache and it never develops into a migraine. It saddens me to think how long I suffered when this wonderful drug was out there available. I almost lost my job because of the migraines. I was missing a lot of work. There were times when we would be on vacation and all I could do was lay in the hotel sick as a dog because of the migraines. thanks maxalt."

Towanna August 28, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I find Maxalt Wafers amazing. I get a little tightness in my throat but apart from that no side effects and they work within I/2 an hour. In fact it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off me. They are expensive but worth it."

Anita - Australia August 27, 2015

"I have suffered from migraines for at least 15 years and tried so many medications and therapies to help. Maxalt is the only thing that helps me. I have missed a day to three of work in a row from migraines and now do not have to miss any. It takes the pain away within an hour. I don't get any effects from the drug really, maybe a bit tired once and awhile. My only complaint is the wafer tastes pretty gnarly but it is worth it!"

XsteelwellX (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2015

"I've suffered with migraines since 1989 after head injures from being bashed by a violent drunk at a work function. I've tried many treatments from Botox, acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, many different drugs but the one which works the best is Maxalt. It melts the pain in 30-90 mins depending on how soon I take the drug after the onset of symptoms. No more days of work no more vomiting no more suffering up to 10 days with a few days clear to suffering again. The frequency and the severity of the migraines is greatly reduced. I do get a bit sleepy and the wafer is a little bitter but it's better than a migraine! I just wish I could get more than 4 at a time."

Weenie59 August 5, 2015

"It works for me. I have been taking the generic for about 2 years. I find it works best when taken immediately when the headache starts. I take the orally disintegrating ones and place them under my tongue for quickest results. The only side effect for me is I get very tired; but still can work and function which as you know can not be said when you have a migraine!"

kaandryahoo.com July 15, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered with severe menstrual migraines for 25+ years to the point where I fantasize about amputating my head. I was on Imitrex (made me very sleepy), Relpax (worthless) , generic (even worse). Maxalt is my go to medicine. Unfortunately its a fight with the insurance company to get regular refills. They are trying to force me to take a generic. I used to get 12 tablets and they changed it to 9- which 9 is not enough. When I run out I cannot help but pray for the day I get a refill fearing I will get a migraine before that time. When the refill day comes, I stalk my pharmacy on the phone until it is ready. Ugh...talk about "drug-seeking" !"

Sheba Jane (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2015