User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Review by Anony200:

rizatriptan: I've been taking Maxalt for about 10 years, since it was first introduced. It is a wonderful medicine that got rid of my migraines within 10 minutes, and the first thing to ever work for me, and it had no side effects other than some mild lightheadedness for a couple of minutes. I was very happy when a generic form was introduced, but the generic is truly terrible. It makes me fall asleep for 4-6 hour, and if I manage to stay awake, I slur my speech and feel terrible. The migraine usually comes back. I've gone back to name brand Maxalt. I don't see the point of a cheaper generic with side effects so bad that I can't even go to work.

April 5, 2014 4:22 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2014 9:38 PM
Review by CharliePants (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): I get very occasional migraines, sometimes out of the blue, sometimes exercise triggered. I always get a visual aura minimum, sometimes get pins and needles down one side. Untreated I will get the tropical crashing migraine but, thankfully, not for more than a day. I used to use Migraleve but often couldn't keep the tablets down. Maxalt Melt has been fantastic. If I can get one within 20 minutes to half an hour of the visual aura and get to bed it will knock my out for a few hours. I either escape the headache completely or have a fairly short lived one, say 2 hours. no sickness either. Superb drug.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 22, 2014 6:55 PM
Review by justadab (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

rizatriptan: I occasionally get migraine when I have been in stressful situations. It appears that my migraine are related to a deficit of serotonin. I also get migraines in stores that sell lots of cheap plastic items. This medication is 100% effective for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 20, 2014 9:22 AM
Review by LizCarter: User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver.

January 10, 2014 1:55 PM
Review by Femborg (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me.

January 8, 2014 12:52 PM
Review by kennedy 1: User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): Works like magic. I finally have medication that works. I get severe migraines, and Maxalt has been effective every time I take it.

December 27, 2013 4:34 PM
Review by Louby (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

rizatriptan: I've suffered from Pure Menstrual Migraine for 4 years. Nothing I have tried to date has helped ease any of the migraine pain at all, which usually goes on for 3 days solid every month, le. Until now. I asked my dr if I could try Rizatriptan and he agreed. My warning sign that a migraine is on it's way is an ache down the left hand side of my face. Well, within the last hour I got that warning so took my first ever Rizatriptan dissove in the mouth tablet. Revolting! Utterly vile - like a really bad mint that went off years ago. However, rather than spit it out (since they are very expensive) I let it dissolve. Now 40 mins later I have no ache and no pain, and I hope that means that I will not get a mega-migraine! So far so good ..

November 2, 2013 6:53 AM
Review by dfel: User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I had a migraine for 7 days. When I finally couldn't take the pain anymore, I went to my doctor and was prescribed this medication. Within 20 minutes my migraine was gone. Its heaven sent. You have to take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Also it makes me very sleepy. But almost all medications do that to me. If you haven't taken it ...get it. It will solve your migraine problems.

October 13, 2013 8:36 PM
Review by SUE UK (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): At 59 years of age have been suffering migraines since I was 21. Think I have tried every medication available in the UK. Maxalt is the only thing that has ever worked for me.Pain usually gone after 20 minutes, before I took Maxalt I could be in bed for 2 days rolling around in agony. Only side effects are tiredness and strangely It makes me sneeze just once as soon as I have taken it. Maxalt has completely changed my life. Fortunate to live in UK as I get it free on national health prescription.

September 29, 2013 4:31 PM
Review by Fellow sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): Amazing relief, almost instantly I feel some relief and migraine is gone within half hour. No side effects at all.

June 22, 2013 8:54 PM
Review by Emma Jayne: User Rating:

rizatriptan: I would definitely say that Rizatriptan is the best migraine medication I have ever had, and I've had all sorts. I could feel an attack coming on, and took a tablet 5 minutes ago and the pain is just about gone. I was very skeptical about rizatriptan as other medicines I've had have never worked but I was so surprised with this. Also I've just seen about the monthly cost below and currently I get Rizatriptan free due to being a diabetic. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, it cost

June 21, 2013 2:33 PM
Review by Finnimore (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

rizatriptan: I suffer with cluster headaches. Extreme pain of the highest order. I found Rizatriptan melt in the mouth tablets to be superb.

June 14, 2013 8:28 AM
Review by Pintocalle1: User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): This is an amazing medicine that I can not live without. No side effects and completely knocks put the pain. Only once or twice did I need a second dose. It's a life saver. My insurance still covers it so I am lucky.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 7, 2013 8:37 PM
Review by Cluster headache girl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

rizatriptan: I have cluster headache ( worst type Of headache/ migraine) Tylenol doesn't work, I was prescribed this, and I could not be any happier with the result. You're supposed to leave it in your mouth and let it dissolves. The taste isn't at all that bad - taste like breath mint. But within about 0-15 minutes, the migraine is gone! I recommend this!

April 28, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by SPANGE: User Rating:

rizatriptan: Have had migraine for 33 years. Experienced first one after giving birth for the first time. Migraines are very severe and symptoms include non stop vomiting, lack of balance, loss of sensation, sensitivity to light, sound, etc. Rizatriptan works for a migraine attack which is not so severe. It has to be taken immediately. I usually lie down quietly for 20 minutes after taking it and then it works. It does not completely get rid of the headache, but suppresses it. This allows you to get on with your day. It makes me very tired, and makes my body feel heavy. Reactions are sometimes slower, so don't drive. If it does not work within 20-30 minutes, then it won't.

April 19, 2013 2:50 AM
Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): This medication worked well to keep my cluster headache pain to a minimum. I found it did not work well when the cluster lasted longer than 2 weeks.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2013 10:17 PM
Review by shiqs (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I have tried different medicines for migraines, all just calmed it down a little, it just had to run its 3 day duration. Am seeing another Dr & she put me on Maxalt yesterday, my migraine was gone within an hour of taking it. I just want to go back and hug her because after 5 yrs of trying I just accepted my pain. It made me drowsy, but I will take drowsy over pain any day.

April 12, 2013 3:00 PM
Review by ellyrae (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): Bad headaches. This medicine works like it says it should.

March 16, 2013 12:49 PM
Review by RAYNOR: User Rating:

rizatriptan: I have had migraines since I was 12 yrs. Old, I am 67. As a child I just suffered all the time. When I was in my late 20's, fiorinal was the answer. It did help. There have been a couple of others (can't remember the name). Then imitrex came out. Didn't work. I did not find relief, even with addition of percocet until maxalt came out. Thank heavens. Mostly 20 days per month. I learned very quickly first sign for me is a slice of pain, then I immediately take the maxalt. Within a half hour, 99% gone. I have been so fortunate to have medicine coverage through private employer insurance with reasonable copay, otherwise it would affect my ability to support myself. I take over 12 meds per day..No interactions

March 1, 2013 10:53 PM
Review by TC631 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): One Maxalt-MLT usually gets rid of the migraine in an hour or less. Occasionally, I need another one 2 hours later to really get rid of it for good. Rarely, even the second one did not quite do it for me. But this is still the most effective medicine that's worked for me, after trying 8-10 other medicines (over-the-counter and prescription).

February 8, 2013 4:51 PM
Review by LTP: User Rating:

rizatriptan: I have a life on Maxalt. Thank you

January 24, 2013 6:53 PM
Review by Dianajh73: User Rating:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I have only experienced a handful of migraines as an adult (had them often as a child but they ended with puberty), but frequency has increased to 3 within the last year. This was the first time I have had migraine medicine to take. Dr. gave me a few different samples - Maxalt 10mg was the one I took. It was really AMAZING that within 5 minutes of taking it the vice-like pain was gone. I did experience extreme fatigue, some nausea, diuresis (clammy & sweaty), and some muscle pain, but, to be honest I just tried to sleep through most of it. I woke up about 2hrs later feeling better and able to function again. Next time I will ask for a prescription for 5mg, which may decrease the side effects.

January 20, 2013 5:15 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): The Maxalt-MLT self-dissolving tab worked wonders for me. At a time when my doctor was trying to determine the most-effective treatment form my migraine headaches, this medicine was a God-send. My doc gave me samples of various triptan meds and I was to try one out at the onset of every migraine. Of the 5-6 different samples I was given, Maxalt-MLT worked the fastest & had the least amount of side-effects. I was amazed. Unfortunately, my insurance would not cover it and I had to settle with sumatriptan. Sumatriptan worked, but it took about an hour and I just remember feeling really weird after taking it. Anyway, if/when my migraines start again- Maxalt is what I want.

January 12, 2013 11:27 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): I used to take the Maxalt in pill form and these work 2x as fast. I took one today at the first sign of a headache and it stopped it in it's tracks in just under 15 minutes. The pill used to take 30 and often the headache had time to bloom and get bad by then. They didn't immediately get rid of the nausea I get, but it went away in about 20 min after it stopped the bloom. I rated these as a 9 because of the taste. They taste a bit like a peppermint candy that's gone bad, but it's bearable and only lasts for about 5 seconds. I usually wash the flavor away with coffee - I like to back up anything I take for a headache with a good dose of caffeine. These will be replacing my Maxalt pills even if they do taste awful.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate