User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Review by emjay95:

I went to see a headache specialist yesterday, and she recommended I take this for my migraines, which occur about 2-3 times a month. Of course, I woke up this morning with one. The tabs taste pretty bitter but when your head hurts, you don't really care. Just wash it down with water once it's done dissolving. Within half an hour it had subsided. As somebody who is used to suffering through them for 2 days, this is truly amazing.

July 31, 2014 12:42 PM

Review by WBachman (taken for less than 1 month):

I get hormonal migraines, about 3 a month. Just got the dissolvable tablet and tried it twice. Worked both times in about 30 minutes. I get pretty drowsy, but I get drowsy when taking Excedrin and Midol. Both times I used it, I had already taken an OTC and it hadn't worked. Next time I'll skip the OTC and just take this.

July 20, 2014 2:59 AM

Review by Lauralee64:

Within 15 min, my headache is a subsiding , 1/2 hr gone....amazing with little or no side effects, well tolerated!!

July 10, 2014 11:16 PM

Review by Lisa25177 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): Maxalt MLT tablets do wonders for my migraines. It takes away the migraine very quickly, much quicker than Excedrin or Bayer, and sometimes they take multiple doses to work, if they do at all. The only negative is that when I take one, my neck and upper shoulder muscles tighten up--severely. This doesn't always happen, but it usually does to some degree. Today the migraine went away in perhaps 30 minutes, but the muscle tightness lasted for 1-2 hours, and this time it was so painful I wanted to cry. Still, it's worth it to get rid of the migraine quickly and before it can get too severe. Another thing: my neurologist gave me the tip of swallowing it to get it into your system in the fastest way possible; it's faster than by mouth.

July 8, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by xKarmAx (taken for less than 1 month):

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): Just took some for the first time 10 minutes ago and my migraine is ALREADY subsiding. Helps a lot more to put it under your tongue so it'll go into your blood stream quicker.

June 21, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by Jwkkkk:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): Works!

May 7, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by jessegooddog (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I had migraines for nearly 35 years after working in a building that had been "bug bombed" overnight. About 10 years ago I realized they only came from neck pain and chiropractic did not help. After an exceptionally bad reaction 3 years ago to Cafergot, I was prescribed Maxalt and it became my wonder medicine. I have not had a migraine now in nearly 18 months (something in my neck has moved to relieve the pressure) but I still take Maxalt when nothing else will get rid of a bad headache after all night pain last night, it was gone in 10 minutes when I finally took it this morning. I wish I had known about it decades ago, none of the other triptans worked for me.

April 11, 2014 11:37 AM

Review by Anony200:

I've been taking Maxalt for about 10 years, since it was first introduced. It is a wonderful medicine that got rid of my migraines within 10 minutes, and the first thing to ever work for me, and it had no side effects other than some mild lightheadedness for a couple of minutes. I was very happy when a generic form was introduced, but the generic is truly terrible. It makes me fall asleep for 4-6 hour, and if I manage to stay awake, I slur my speech and feel terrible. The migraine usually comes back. I've gone back to name brand Maxalt. I don't see the point of a cheaper generic with side effects so bad that I can't even go to work.

April 5, 2014 4:22 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income.

February 4, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by CharliePants (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): I get very occasional migraines, sometimes out of the blue, sometimes exercise triggered. I always get a visual aura minimum, sometimes get pins and needles down one side. Untreated I will get the tropical crashing migraine but, thankfully, not for more than a day. I used to use Migraleve but often couldn't keep the tablets down. Maxalt Melt has been fantastic. If I can get one within 20 minutes to half an hour of the visual aura and get to bed it will knock my out for a few hours. I either escape the headache completely or have a fairly short lived one, say 2 hours. no sickness either. Superb drug.

January 22, 2014 6:55 PM

Review by justadab (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I occasionally get migraine when I have been in stressful situations. It appears that my migraine are related to a deficit of serotonin. I also get migraines in stores that sell lots of cheap plastic items. This medication is 100% effective for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2014 9:22 AM

Review by LizCarter:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver.

January 10, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Femborg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2014 12:52 PM

Review by kennedy 1:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): Works like magic. I finally have medication that works. I get severe migraines, and Maxalt has been effective every time I take it.

December 27, 2013 4:34 PM

Review by Louby (taken for less than 1 month):

I've suffered from Pure Menstrual Migraine for 4 years. Nothing I have tried to date has helped ease any of the migraine pain at all, which usually goes on for 3 days solid every month, le. Until now. I asked my dr if I could try Rizatriptan and he agreed. My warning sign that a migraine is on it's way is an ache down the left hand side of my face. Well, within the last hour I got that warning so took my first ever Rizatriptan dissove in the mouth tablet. Revolting! Utterly vile - like a really bad mint that went off years ago. However, rather than spit it out (since they are very expensive) I let it dissolve. Now 40 mins later I have no ache and no pain, and I hope that means that I will not get a mega-migraine! So far so good ..

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2013 6:53 AM

Review by dfel:

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I had a migraine for 7 days. When I finally couldn't take the pain anymore, I went to my doctor and was prescribed this medication. Within 20 minutes my migraine was gone. Its heaven sent. You have to take it as soon as you feel a migraine coming on. Also it makes me very sleepy. But almost all medications do that to me. If you haven't taken it ...get it. It will solve your migraine problems.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2013 8:36 PM

Review by SUE UK (taken for 10 years or more):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): At 59 years of age have been suffering migraines since I was 21. Think I have tried every medication available in the UK. Maxalt is the only thing that has ever worked for me.Pain usually gone after 20 minutes, before I took Maxalt I could be in bed for 2 days rolling around in agony. Only side effects are tiredness and strangely It makes me sneeze just once as soon as I have taken it. Maxalt has completely changed my life. Fortunate to live in UK as I get it free on national health prescription.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Fellow sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): Amazing relief, almost instantly I feel some relief and migraine is gone within half hour. No side effects at all.

June 22, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by Emma Jayne:

I would definitely say that Rizatriptan is the best migraine medication I have ever had, and I've had all sorts. I could feel an attack coming on, and took a tablet 5 minutes ago and the pain is just about gone. I was very skeptical about rizatriptan as other medicines I've had have never worked but I was so surprised with this. Also I've just seen about the monthly cost below and currently I get Rizatriptan free due to being a diabetic. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, it cost

June 21, 2013 2:33 PM

Review by Finnimore (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I suffer with cluster headaches. Extreme pain of the highest order. I found Rizatriptan melt in the mouth tablets to be superb.

June 14, 2013 8:28 AM

Review by Pintocalle1:

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): This is an amazing medicine that I can not live without. No side effects and completely knocks put the pain. Only once or twice did I need a second dose. It's a life saver. My insurance still covers it so I am lucky.

May 7, 2013 8:37 PM

Review by Cluster headache girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have cluster headache ( worst type Of headache/ migraine) Tylenol doesn't work, I was prescribed this, and I could not be any happier with the result. You're supposed to leave it in your mouth and let it dissolves. The taste isn't at all that bad - taste like breath mint. But within about 0-15 minutes, the migraine is gone! I recommend this!

April 28, 2013 4:18 PM

Review by SPANGE:

Have had migraine for 33 years. Experienced first one after giving birth for the first time. Migraines are very severe and symptoms include non stop vomiting, lack of balance, loss of sensation, sensitivity to light, sound, etc. Rizatriptan works for a migraine attack which is not so severe. It has to be taken immediately. I usually lie down quietly for 20 minutes after taking it and then it works. It does not completely get rid of the headache, but suppresses it. This allows you to get on with your day. It makes me very tired, and makes my body feel heavy. Reactions are sometimes slower, so don't drive. If it does not work within 20-30 minutes, then it won't.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2013 2:50 AM

Review by Hauteracer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): This medication worked well to keep my cluster headache pain to a minimum. I found it did not work well when the cluster lasted longer than 2 weeks.

April 17, 2013 10:17 PM

Review by shiqs (taken for less than 1 month):

Maxalt (rizatriptan): I have tried different medicines for migraines, all just calmed it down a little, it just had to run its 3 day duration. Am seeing another Dr & she put me on Maxalt yesterday, my migraine was gone within an hour of taking it. I just want to go back and hug her because after 5 yrs of trying I just accepted my pain. It made me drowsy, but I will take drowsy over pain any day.

April 12, 2013 3:00 PM