User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Review Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

"When I took a 10 mg dose it made me nauseous and super high, and now three days later I am still nauseaous and have had to call out of work because ive been feeling like im going to vomit if i stand up. I look to try and function as normal when i take abortive migraine medication, this one has made me feel worse. At least I can actually go to work when I have just a migraine."

thelittlestbara May 19, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "My Migraine did Not go away . It might have only marginally lessened it . I went to bed for two hours and have felt terrible all day . This medication made me very sleepy . I took a Second Wafer some hours later but there was Still No Improvement ! Now I cannot take any other migraine medication for a whole 24 hours. Which is far too long . I made the mistake of taking the second wafer when the first one wasn't helping. I already had Jaw Pain so reading that others get it as a side effect makes me wonder. It reminds me of Imigraine and I thought that useless. Sydney Australia 2015.05.18"

Bondi May 18, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Maxalt always seems to be my rescue drug for putting off full migraine. My Dr told me to take full 10mg tab (I would take 5mg as it worked) to alleviate rebound headaches. Also, she wanted to limit my intake of Maxalt to 2xday/2days wk/2days inbetween. I recently tried this with other drugs she prescribed for headaches inbetween. I ended up in ER yesterday with the WORST migraine of my life. I'm looking for another Dr. and blame the new regimen for the problem. Has anyone else been told about limiting their Maxalt in this way? I get anywhere between 2-6 headaches a month, usually."

Thessa (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt, especially the melt aways are simply amazing. I've had to take them off and on for years. (Going quite awhile without migraines.) Then the generic was introduced. I've tried two different kinds. They are not the same! The generic makes my headache get worse right after I take it, then about 1/2 hour later it might work. I'm usually asleep soon after that. I searched for the 'real' deal again and it is as I remembered. Started working RIGHT away with very little side effects. Maybe sore throat. Such a miracle for me. It is expensive at times depending on whim of insurance coverage, but I will pay to have pain go away!"

DaMax May 3, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "When I first tried it, my migraine was being relieved in about 30 minutes. Ten years later it takes about 11/2 hours. Previously, my headache pain lasted about 16 hours. Nothing over the counter ever worked. No unusual short term or long term side affects. Can make me a little drowsy sometimes."

YNNARF (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I am 56 and I've suffered with migraines since I was 5 years old. Maxalt is the only migraine medication that has worked wonders for me!! I take one as soon as I get the slightest beginning of a migraine and it is gone in 20 minutes! Not only that, but I've been taking it for 3 years now and I used to get 2 or 3 migraines a month, and now I only get about 1 every 2 months! Maxalt has been like a miracle for me...I no longer have to suffer with horrible headaches!! Additionally, I have not experienced any side effects!"

Teacher3rd March 24, 2015

"I have been suffering from migraines for years, but the headaches started getting worse and last longer about a year ago, which prompted me to see a neurologist. He prescribed this wonder pill to me and I am not afraid to sound cheesy saying that it changed my life for the better - suddenly I do not have to endure these debilitating headaches that sometimes last 3 days in a row. I did start off with Maxalt, but the price was prohibitive and I switched to the generic form, which helps me just as well. It takes about an hour for it to work and I often get extremely drowsy and need at least an hours nap about an hour after taking the medicine. I have not experienced any other side effects."

Apsarakund (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had migraines for years and have been given everything for them. I also believe I've gone through every triptan that one could imagine. This medicine has been phenomenal in relieving really tough migraine pain. Within 30 minutes I can get relief. Also, I like that you can get it in sublingual form. Sometimes my migraines are so bad that I'm constantly throwing up everything. When I'm nauseous the sublingual form is wonderful, however, it also comes in a tiny tablet. I keep this with me at all times. It has saved me from multiple hospital visits in the past. Hope this helps!"

Elebia (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am very greatful for Maxalt wafers as they help me get rid of my migraines, although the side effects of insane burning and jaw pain last and hour before, the wafer curing my migraine. Half half if you can endure the pain, its wonderful"

lenimissy January 12, 2015

"This medication always takes my migraine away. It is the only medicine that has done that for me. Sometimes I do get rebound headaches from the medicine, but I am pleased that I have finally found something to take the migraine away. I just wish I could find something to alleviate my migraines altogether because I get them way too often."

Omi11 October 13, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt MLT works great. Gets rid of migraine within an hour. Tried generic form but only reduced pain by half, plus migraine comes back within a few hours. Also side effects much worse."

KMSH September 3, 2014

"I went to see a headache specialist yesterday, and she recommended I take this for my migraines, which occur about 2-3 times a month. Of course, I woke up this morning with one. The tabs taste pretty bitter but when your head hurts, you don't really care. Just wash it down with water once it's done dissolving. Within half an hour it had subsided. As somebody who is used to suffering through them for 2 days, this is truly amazing."

emjay95 July 31, 2014

"I get hormonal migraines, about 3 a month. Just got the dissolvable tablet and tried it twice. Worked both times in about 30 minutes. I get pretty drowsy, but I get drowsy when taking Excedrin and Midol. Both times I used it, I had already taken an OTC and it hadn't worked. Next time I'll skip the OTC and just take this. "

WBachman (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2014

"Within 15 min, my headache is a subsiding , 1/2 hr gone....amazing with little or no side effects, well tolerated!!"

Lauralee64 July 10, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt MLT tablets do wonders for my migraines. It takes away the migraine very quickly, much quicker than Excedrin or Bayer, and sometimes they take multiple doses to work, if they do at all. The only negative is that when I take one, my neck and upper shoulder muscles tighten up--severely. This doesn't always happen, but it usually does to some degree. Today the migraine went away in perhaps 30 minutes, but the muscle tightness lasted for 1-2 hours, and this time it was so painful I wanted to cry. Still, it's worth it to get rid of the migraine quickly and before it can get too severe. Another thing: my neurologist gave me the tip of swallowing it to get it into your system in the fastest way possible; it's faster than by mouth."

Lisa25177 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Just took some for the first time 10 minutes ago and my migraine is ALREADY subsiding. Helps a lot more to put it under your tongue so it'll go into your blood stream quicker. "

xKarmAx (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2014

"I have suffered migraines since childhood 2-5 migraines a year. Then at about 38 I started getting these horrible severely debilitating headaches 1-3 times a year and the headaches would last up to weeks with intermittent increase in severity. I was finally diagnosed with cluster headaches and prescribed Rizatriptan. If I feel the onset it diminishes the intensity and duration. I have been using it for 2 years and very grateful."

Leviroca June 2, 2014

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Works!"

Jwkkkk May 7, 2014

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I had migraines for nearly 35 years after working in a building that had been "bug bombed" overnight. About 10 years ago I realized they only came from neck pain and chiropractic did not help. After an exceptionally bad reaction 3 years ago to Cafergot, I was prescribed Maxalt and it became my wonder medicine. I have not had a migraine now in nearly 18 months (something in my neck has moved to relieve the pressure) but I still take Maxalt when nothing else will get rid of a bad headache after all night pain last night, it was gone in 10 minutes when I finally took it this morning. I wish I had known about it decades ago, none of the other triptans worked for me."

jessegooddog (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2014

"I've been taking Maxalt for about 10 years, since it was first introduced. It is a wonderful medicine that got rid of my migraines within 10 minutes, and the first thing to ever work for me, and it had no side effects other than some mild lightheadedness for a couple of minutes. I was very happy when a generic form was introduced, but the generic is truly terrible. It makes me fall asleep for 4-6 hour, and if I manage to stay awake, I slur my speech and feel terrible. The migraine usually comes back. I've gone back to name brand Maxalt. I don't see the point of a cheaper generic with side effects so bad that I can't even go to work."

Anony200 April 5, 2014

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I love Maxalt my doctor gave it to me about 4 months ago. After years of no relief my migraine was gone in 20 minutes! I admit I get extremely sleepy after I take it but a 1 hour nap and I'm back in business. Much better then four days of blinding pain that's for sure it is very expensive but I contacted my local clinic and they had me fill out some forms and received a free 6 month supply at which time I can reapply. You can also try contacting the company online they may help depending on your income."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I get very occasional migraines, sometimes out of the blue, sometimes exercise triggered. I always get a visual aura minimum, sometimes get pins and needles down one side. Untreated I will get the tropical crashing migraine but, thankfully, not for more than a day. I used to use Migraleve but often couldn't keep the tablets down. Maxalt Melt has been fantastic. If I can get one within 20 minutes to half an hour of the visual aura and get to bed it will knock my out for a few hours. I either escape the headache completely or have a fairly short lived one, say 2 hours. no sickness either. Superb drug."

CharliePants (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2014

"I occasionally get migraine when I have been in stressful situations. It appears that my migraine are related to a deficit of serotonin. I also get migraines in stores that sell lots of cheap plastic items. This medication is 100% effective for me."

justadab (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2014

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've suffered from severe, debilitating migraines since I was 30 (I'm now 49). I've been prescribed everything under the sun but Maxalt is the ONLY medication that works for me. First of all, it dissolves under my tongue so I know that if I vomit, I won't throw it up. Secondly, and especially if I take it at the first sign of a migraine, it usually only takes about 30 minutes to kick in and fully eradicate my migraine. Imitrex and the others I've been on haven't worked or haven't worked as completely as Maxalt. I consider it a life saver."

LizCarter January 10, 2014

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have been taking Maxalt for migraines for the past five years. This medication is the only one I have found that really takes care of the migraine and any residual headache. The generic ones don't work for me. "

Femborg (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2014