User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Review Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from hormonal migraines since puberty and am now in my fifties. I tried every option the Doctor could offer but nothing helped until I found Maxalt Melt about ten years ago. I call them my magic pill as they can clear a migraine completely within an hour. Very occasionally I have to take a second dose. They work for me with minimal side effects and are worth every penny. I'm in the UK so can get them on prescription."

Juliannaaaaa August 31, 2015

"I avoid drugs of all kinds and I'm a usually healthy person. After suffering years from horribly painful headaches that would leave me vomiting all day and totally out of it (I thought it was due to whiplash injury), my doctor prescribed Rizatriptan 10mg. It truly is a miracle drug for me. I use the melt-away tablets, and find the relief starts in about 15 minutes, and by 30 minutes, any headache is gone. I take them at the very beginning of symptoms. I do get sleepy, so I've learned that I can just take half a tablet, get the same result, and not feel so tired. I have had very slight jaw pain once or twice, and cutting back the dosage also alleviated that problem."

A miracle drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered migraines for since I was 30 and I am now 51. I use to lay in bed for days, and would end up in the hospital. I finally had a nurse ask me why wasn't I on prescription medication. I told her my doctor told me I would outgrow them. I took her advice and switched doctors. He put me on maxalt 10 mg, and it changed my life!!!!! I take them now when I feel the onset of a headache and it never develops into a migraine. It saddens me to think how long I suffered when this wonderful drug was out there available. I almost lost my job because of the migraines. I was missing a lot of work. There were times when we would be on vacation and all I could do was lay in the hotel sick as a dog because of the migraines. thanks maxalt."

Towanna August 28, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I find Maxalt Wafers amazing. I get a little tightness in my throat but apart from that no side effects and they work within I/2 an hour. In fact it feels like a huge weight has been lifted off me. They are expensive but worth it."

Anita - Australia August 27, 2015

"I have suffered from migraines for at least 15 years and tried so many medications and therapies to help. Maxalt is the only thing that helps me. I have missed a day to three of work in a row from migraines and now do not have to miss any. It takes the pain away within an hour. I don't get any effects from the drug really, maybe a bit tired once and awhile. My only complaint is the wafer tastes pretty gnarly but it is worth it!"

XsteelwellX (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2015

"I've suffered with migraines since 1989 after head injures from being bashed by a violent drunk at a work function. I've tried many treatments from Botox, acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, hypnotherapy, many different drugs but the one which works the best is Maxalt. It melts the pain in 30-90 mins depending on how soon I take the drug after the onset of symptoms. No more days of work no more vomiting no more suffering up to 10 days with a few days clear to suffering again. The frequency and the severity of the migraines is greatly reduced. I do get a bit sleepy and the wafer is a little bitter but it's better than a migraine! I just wish I could get more than 4 at a time."

Weenie59 August 5, 2015

"It works for me. I have been taking the generic for about 2 years. I find it works best when taken immediately when the headache starts. I take the orally disintegrating ones and place them under my tongue for quickest results. The only side effect for me is I get very tired; but still can work and function which as you know can not be said when you have a migraine!"

kaandryahoo.com July 15, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered with severe menstrual migraines for 25+ years to the point where I fantasize about amputating my head. I was on Imitrex (made me very sleepy), Relpax (worthless) , generic (even worse). Maxalt is my go to medicine. Unfortunately its a fight with the insurance company to get regular refills. They are trying to force me to take a generic. I used to get 12 tablets and they changed it to 9- which 9 is not enough. When I run out I cannot help but pray for the day I get a refill fearing I will get a migraine before that time. When the refill day comes, I stalk my pharmacy on the phone until it is ready. Ugh...talk about "drug-seeking" !"

Sheba Jane (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2015

"When I took a 10 mg dose it made me nauseous and super high, and now three days later I am still nauseaous and have had to call out of work because ive been feeling like im going to vomit if i stand up. I look to try and function as normal when i take abortive migraine medication, this one has made me feel worse. At least I can actually go to work when I have just a migraine."

thelittlestbara May 19, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "My Migraine did Not go away . It might have only marginally lessened it . I went to bed for two hours and have felt terrible all day . This medication made me very sleepy . I took a Second Wafer some hours later but there was Still No Improvement ! Now I cannot take any other migraine medication for a whole 24 hours. Which is far too long . I made the mistake of taking the second wafer when the first one wasn't helping. I already had Jaw Pain so reading that others get it as a side effect makes me wonder. It reminds me of Imigraine and I thought that useless. Sydney Australia 2015.05.18"

Bondi May 18, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Maxalt always seems to be my rescue drug for putting off full migraine. My Dr told me to take full 10mg tab (I would take 5mg as it worked) to alleviate rebound headaches. Also, she wanted to limit my intake of Maxalt to 2xday/2days wk/2days inbetween. I recently tried this with other drugs she prescribed for headaches inbetween. I ended up in ER yesterday with the WORST migraine of my life. I'm looking for another Dr. and blame the new regimen for the problem. Has anyone else been told about limiting their Maxalt in this way? I get anywhere between 2-6 headaches a month, usually."

Thessa (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt, especially the melt aways are simply amazing. I've had to take them off and on for years. (Going quite awhile without migraines.) Then the generic was introduced. I've tried two different kinds. They are not the same! The generic makes my headache get worse right after I take it, then about 1/2 hour later it might work. I'm usually asleep soon after that. I searched for the 'real' deal again and it is as I remembered. Started working RIGHT away with very little side effects. Maybe sore throat. Such a miracle for me. It is expensive at times depending on whim of insurance coverage, but I will pay to have pain go away!"

DaMax May 3, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "When I first tried it, my migraine was being relieved in about 30 minutes. Ten years later it takes about 11/2 hours. Previously, my headache pain lasted about 16 hours. Nothing over the counter ever worked. No unusual short term or long term side affects. Can make me a little drowsy sometimes."

YNNARF (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I am 56 and I've suffered with migraines since I was 5 years old. Maxalt is the only migraine medication that has worked wonders for me!! I take one as soon as I get the slightest beginning of a migraine and it is gone in 20 minutes! Not only that, but I've been taking it for 3 years now and I used to get 2 or 3 migraines a month, and now I only get about 1 every 2 months! Maxalt has been like a miracle for me...I no longer have to suffer with horrible headaches!! Additionally, I have not experienced any side effects!"

Teacher3rd March 24, 2015

"I have been suffering from migraines for years, but the headaches started getting worse and last longer about a year ago, which prompted me to see a neurologist. He prescribed this wonder pill to me and I am not afraid to sound cheesy saying that it changed my life for the better - suddenly I do not have to endure these debilitating headaches that sometimes last 3 days in a row. I did start off with Maxalt, but the price was prohibitive and I switched to the generic form, which helps me just as well. It takes about an hour for it to work and I often get extremely drowsy and need at least an hours nap about an hour after taking the medicine. I have not experienced any other side effects."

Apsarakund (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 1, 2015

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had migraines for years and have been given everything for them. I also believe I've gone through every triptan that one could imagine. This medicine has been phenomenal in relieving really tough migraine pain. Within 30 minutes I can get relief. Also, I like that you can get it in sublingual form. Sometimes my migraines are so bad that I'm constantly throwing up everything. When I'm nauseous the sublingual form is wonderful, however, it also comes in a tiny tablet. I keep this with me at all times. It has saved me from multiple hospital visits in the past. Hope this helps!"

Elebia (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 21, 2015

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am very greatful for Maxalt wafers as they help me get rid of my migraines, although the side effects of insane burning and jaw pain last and hour before, the wafer curing my migraine. Half half if you can endure the pain, its wonderful"

lenimissy January 12, 2015

"This medication always takes my migraine away. It is the only medicine that has done that for me. Sometimes I do get rebound headaches from the medicine, but I am pleased that I have finally found something to take the migraine away. I just wish I could find something to alleviate my migraines altogether because I get them way too often."

Omi11 October 13, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt MLT works great. Gets rid of migraine within an hour. Tried generic form but only reduced pain by half, plus migraine comes back within a few hours. Also side effects much worse."

KMSH September 3, 2014

"I went to see a headache specialist yesterday, and she recommended I take this for my migraines, which occur about 2-3 times a month. Of course, I woke up this morning with one. The tabs taste pretty bitter but when your head hurts, you don't really care. Just wash it down with water once it's done dissolving. Within half an hour it had subsided. As somebody who is used to suffering through them for 2 days, this is truly amazing."

emjay95 July 31, 2014

"I get hormonal migraines, about 3 a month. Just got the dissolvable tablet and tried it twice. Worked both times in about 30 minutes. I get pretty drowsy, but I get drowsy when taking Excedrin and Midol. Both times I used it, I had already taken an OTC and it hadn't worked. Next time I'll skip the OTC and just take this. "

WBachman (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2014

"Within 15 min, my headache is a subsiding , 1/2 hr gone....amazing with little or no side effects, well tolerated!!"

Lauralee64 July 10, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt MLT tablets do wonders for my migraines. It takes away the migraine very quickly, much quicker than Excedrin or Bayer, and sometimes they take multiple doses to work, if they do at all. The only negative is that when I take one, my neck and upper shoulder muscles tighten up--severely. This doesn't always happen, but it usually does to some degree. Today the migraine went away in perhaps 30 minutes, but the muscle tightness lasted for 1-2 hours, and this time it was so painful I wanted to cry. Still, it's worth it to get rid of the migraine quickly and before it can get too severe. Another thing: my neurologist gave me the tip of swallowing it to get it into your system in the fastest way possible; it's faster than by mouth."

Lisa25177 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2014

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Just took some for the first time 10 minutes ago and my migraine is ALREADY subsiding. Helps a lot more to put it under your tongue so it'll go into your blood stream quicker. "

xKarmAx (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2014

"I have suffered migraines since childhood 2-5 migraines a year. Then at about 38 I started getting these horrible severely debilitating headaches 1-3 times a year and the headaches would last up to weeks with intermittent increase in severity. I was finally diagnosed with cluster headaches and prescribed Rizatriptan. If I feel the onset it diminishes the intensity and duration. I have been using it for 2 years and very grateful."

Leviroca June 2, 2014