User Reviews for Xarelto

Learn more about Xarelto.

Xarelto Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Pulmonary Embolism.

Reviews for Xarelto to treat Pulmonary Embolism

"I was in the hospital this weekend for a PE left lung and pneumonia in my right. Completely unsymptomatic except for a very unusual episode of vomiting with chest pain. Have a PICC and doc was concerned it may have become dislodged, so to the ER we went. The whole PE / pneumonia thing is still utterly unreal to us - still in a daze, trying to figure out what it means for lifestyle changes. Since they switched me from Coumadin IV to Xarelto in the hospital I have had a non-stop awful migraine, upper back and neck pain (muscular), some upset stomach. My lower jaw and teeth hurt - something I've never experienced as I have no cavities at age 47; I can empathize with my husband's toothaches a bit now, unfortunately. Awful."

PoohyBear (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

"I have been on Xarelto for 8 months after a PE experience due to thrombin 3 deficiency. My only issue is heavier that normal bruising - I am very active."

Bud 63 July 9, 2015

"Had bilateral acute PE. Barely a month has passed but I think I am doing okay with Rivaroxaban. I experienced a very heavy menstruation and still have laboured breathing here and there but apart from that, I am happy with the medication. I am now back to work on a part time basis (very supportive employer) and hopefully will be strong enough to be back on full time soon."

Milly Picton (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

"I am 39 and was given Xarelto for Pulmonary Embolism. I have experienced nausea, dizziness, dreams and mild headaches. Not sure this medicine is for me. Back to doctor on Monday."

tameads (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

"I had knee surgery on October 13 ,2014, not even two weeks later on October 24, I collapsed in my kitchen struggling to breathe. The paramedics thought, because of my age, that I overdosed on pain meds. Once they got me to the hospital I went into cat scan and ended up coding and dying. I was dead for 25 minutes. Obviously they found out both of my lungs were FULL of blood clots, they couldn't understand how I was even still alive or had made it that long without having any symptoms or problems. Dr. Barton of Thibodaux, Louisiana saved my life by putting me on Xarelto. It is now April 21, 2015, and my insurance won't pay for it anymore so now I'm switching to Warfarin. I'm very unhappy with the switch, no complaints about Xarelto though."

Miranda age, 18 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2015

"After a visit to emergency with pain from left abdomen to shoulder, after many tests and a two-day hospital stay I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism in my left lung. My hematologist prescribed Xarelto and it seems to be working so far. I will be on this medication for 6 months along with iron supplements."

Tiamo123 February 8, 2015

"A warning for menstruating women... I am a 28 year old female who was prescribed Xarelto for a Pulmoary Embolism. My menstrual period lasted 10 days with extremely heavy bleeding and clots. Normally it lasts 3-4 days and is very light. Soaked through an ultra tampon AND overnight pad every 2 hours. I went through a box of tampons every 2 days. I was not able to function at work, and it was ruining my relationship. I held my meds for a day and boom! Period went away. I believe that Xarelto prevented my endometrial lining from forming and staying in place."

CM113 January 15, 2015

"Have been on Xarelto now for 2 months without any complaints. I've not had the out of the ordinary dreams that others have reported. I am an endurance athlete and other than deconditioning from a forced no exercise restriction for 4 weeks, I cannot say that this medicine limits my performance. I must say I have had some very short duration dizzy spells on occasion, but definitely not the norm. My insurance required that Xarelto be preauthorized prior to getting it. So far I am very happy with its performance and convenience."

mroger82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2014

"No side effects, except one incidence of dizziness that passed quickly."

VFC June 21, 2014

"Had a Pulmonary Embolism in March 2014, I am happy with Xarelto in that it is a pill I can take without weekly blood work. My only complaint is that I am losing my hair in clumps! I tell you it is like I am taking chemo or something. I used to have very thick long hair and now my hair falls out horribly in the shower, when I brush it, all day long on my clothes, in the car whatever. Hair loss is not currently listed as a side affect but I called the 800 number of the company and put in a complaint about it as many others have."

blackdogs May 27, 2014

"I've been taking Xarelto for 1 month now for pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. I haven't experienced many side effects. It seems to be working great except my period is extremely heavy and I'm taking an iron supplement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2014

"Was given Xarelto in hospital and released. Two days later I was back in the hospital with lung pain and more blood clots. This medicine did not work on me."

Dusty3481 February 16, 2014

"Xarelto has been great for my pulmonary emboli. It is easy to take without monitoring, as reduced the clots quickly and has little restrictions."

wdhh December 18, 2013

"I love this medicine. My sister had a pulmonary embolism and had to take Coumadin, with shots and weekly blood tests. After my P.E., I take Xarelto and have for 5 months. No issues. If I get a cut, it clots just fine. No doctor visits. No blood tests. A miracle for thrombosis."

Eddie D. December 17, 2013

"On Xarelto 15mg 2X a day since pulmonary embolism. Very pleased as it allowed me to released from hospital less than 24hrs after admission. One particular side effect: I am experiencing vivid dreams since going on Xarelto. Looking forward to getting off as soon as possible, but I am grateful that I am not on Coumadin or Lovenox."

zeemumbai (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2013

"Was placed on Xeralto 15mgs twice a day for my pulmonary embolism on 7/30/2013. The one thing that no one informed me about was how it was going to change my menstrual flow. It was so heavy that I began to get concerned as I was soaking an overnight pad every two hours. Try going to work with that business happening and trying to be productive. It is a good thing that the first time I went through it I was still on leave from the initial hospitalization."

Anabella12550 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2013

"Have a pulmonary embolism, been on Xarelto since January 27 2013. No problems, make sure you have your doctors do a creatinine test to adjust your Xarelto. God bless."

pastor headley (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2013

"My embolisms were discovered November 1. I was put on Warfarin but it was hard to get my blood to regulate and I didn't like the blood work. I began Xarelto on December 7, 2012. I have had success and my doctors are very pleased. No new embolisms have formed. I did have upper stomach pain this week but I also suffer from irritable bowel syndrome. Today I feel fine. I have not had any bleeding or bruising ."

Zardine (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2013