User Reviews for Risperdal

Learn more about Risperdal.

Risperdal review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Risperdal to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Review by mmmm...:

I think that it helps with the schizoaffective disorder they put me on it 2 yrs ago & now I don't hear the louds as much as I did before.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 8:46 PM

Review by ThisIsPatrick:

This medication worked wonders for me and I felt quite good on this medication. The problem lies with the side effects. Unbeknownst to me for many months was that it increased my prolactin levels which caused my breasts to grow and menstrual cycle to be off. High prolactin is harmful in the long run and my breasts never returned to their previous size (although maybe some of you ladies would be happy about it. I also gained a few pounds on Risperdal but nothing ridiculous.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by katydid47 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was on risperidone for over a year. I suffer from severe manic depressive bipolar disorder with schizoaffective episodes. The medication along with an antidepressant helped with the delusions (visual and auditory). But the weight gain was immense in one year I gained over 60 pounds. I weigh over 300 pounds now and the depression is worse. I have osteoarthritis in both knees that with the weight have been severely debilitating. Preparing meals, doing daily activities are almost impossible. Standing for more than ten minutes is excruciating. I suggest to use caution with the increase in weight this medicine can cause.

February 28, 2014 11:24 AM

I first went on this medication in March of 2013 and almost a year later, I've had to adjust it 3 times, going up to 4 finally. When I first started, I was sent into a manic like state for several hours, but after about a week, I started to sleep more than I ever did. I usually only got about 3 hours of sleep each and every night, starting from when I was 12 and up until I started Risperidone, which is when I was 18. It has helped with every single thing that was wrong with me, the delusions, hallucinations, dissociation, and homicidal feelings. I would definitely suggest trying this if you haven't yet. It worked wonders with me.

February 19, 2014 6:47 PM

Review by Anonymous 42 yr old F:

I'm talking this after a few antipsychotics didn't work and I was hospitalized a few times for the first time in my life. My bipolar diagnosis changed to Schizoaffective disorder then Schizophrenia. The delusions paranoia was very scary. I was on 2 mg for awhile with Ativan and celexa, and I gained weight over the course of all the medicines, but it needed it, weight gain stopped when I stopped celexa. No paranoia. Now im taking 1 1/2 mg and have less anxiety, on a day I went back to 2 mg I had more. I still have anxiety and will ask my dr to increase my Ativan from 2 back to 3 mg, or lower my risperdal down to 1 mg a I am also on lithium and have hand tremors from that and risperdal, but feel stable it's so worth it. I'm staying on it

November 2, 2013 10:47 AM

Review by gmura11 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This has been a miracle for me, it keeps my mind calm and in balance. I had delusions coupled with moderate to severe mood disturbances and this puts me back on the normal spectrum.

July 23, 2013 2:03 PM

Review by anote2me12:

Risperdal is my miracle. I put on about 30 pounds in the course of 18 months but that is nothing as to the improvement it has made on my mental well being. Gone are the sleepless nights staring at the ceiling, delusions of grandeur, and being overly worried about life's ups and downs. The psychosis has diminished to the point where I no longer need medication to remain stable. If symptoms ever return, I know this is the medication for me. Also no unpleasant side effects from coming off it.

June 14, 2013 4:20 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This was clearly not the medicine for me. The sleeping for 2 days once I went on it thing was okay. I needed it. But it made me so hungry that I gained 30 pounds, so tired that When I took this I cared about nothing, so bored and apathetic so quickly that my life felt without meaning. I began lactating 3 weeks in, and I couldn't concentrate on school. If anything, I got more paranoid...no voices, but OCD and paranoia and agitation through the roof. I was on 0.5 mg in the beginning and eventually went up to 3 mg.

June 19, 2012 5:49 PM

Review by dee-carol-m (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was experiencing awful symptoms including visual and auditory hallucinations. I also had problems with "feeling" something crawling all over me. I felt like someone had taken advantage/control over my physical being. I was scared for my life, wondering if my hallucinations were real. Luckily, this medication has cleared these thoughts, and made the hallucinations better, but one moment clearly pointed out to me that the medication hadn't done any harm. I was laying in bed, and I started to laugh uncontrollably because I could actually lay there and listen to the quiet sounds all around me. I wasn't distracted by voices.

May 18, 2012 8:12 PM

I started taking risperidone when I was 15. It does take away the delusions and mood swings, but it leaves me with anxiety and dulls me out to the point where I don't feel like really socializing at all. I've tried other medicines like Zyprexa and Geodon and they either do the same thing or have another bad effect on me. I'm 20 now and still haven't really found a medicine that works. I think whatever they put in antipsychotics just doesn't agree with me.

September 9, 2011 9:48 PM

Review by lm222:

Caused a lot of weight gain.

May 25, 2011 8:55 PM

When I started Risperdal it made my whole body shake the first day, but after that I was restless everyday and I couldn't sit down for long periods of time. The medicine helped a lot with delusions and hallucinations (including audio) and helped a bit with reality perception but did not help with irrational thinking. Gained 15 lbs.

April 7, 2011 8:14 PM

Review by anitalite:

Risperdal did not eliminate my symptoms but it did make coping with the symptoms easier. It also made me sleep extremely deeply at night so that someone who tried wasn't able to wake me up at all. It could be due to low blood pressure but most likely because I have a low tolerance to sedative medications. I was not able to take it during the day when I needed to the most, when my symptoms were at their worst, due to the sedative side effects. I did find that using a 0.5mg dose was mildly helpful for daytime treatment of symptoms and was not severely sedative, allowing me to function normally.

November 1, 2010 5:36 PM

This medicine has been okay for me. It certainly got rid of most of my paranoid thoughts but never got rid of all of them. I still had a lot of them especially present in the night, I'd think there was a serial killer outside watching me or a serial killer in the same room as me or on the chair. It was pretty terrifying. I started Geodon a week ago and those thoughts completely disappeared, I'm very grateful. Risperdal also made me gain a lot of weight every year and made me very hungry even after I just had a meal. I'm 166 lbs and 5'8'. I'm scared of being 200 lbs. I've been on this medicine since I was 14 and severely psychotic and couldn't function at all, so I guess it helped me with that, just made me gain a lot of weight. I'm 22 now.

August 2, 2010 4:34 PM

Very good medication. helps alot with the symptoms of psychosis. Its not a cure though I still had to work on my problems. -1 point because it gives me dry mouth and makes it so a cannot tolerate as much alcohol. -1 another point cause its not 100 percent effective but still works great. overall 8/10

March 23, 2010 10:42 PM