User Reviews for Xifaxan

Learn more about Xifaxan.

Hepatic Encephalopathy 2 reviews 16 medications

9.2
Traveler's Diarrhea 1 reviews 49 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 10 reviews 130 medications

8.1
Summary of Xifaxan reviews 13 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Xifaxan

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "Turns out I jumped the gun in touting xifaxan as a potential prednisone replacement for flare remission - at least on it's own. The initial symptomatic relief continued but hit a plateau, requiring the addition of a corticosteroid. So my Dr. additionally put me on entocort ec, but this flare remains stubborn. No longer willing to suffer, I requested prednisone. Day 3 and striking improvements. I will taper off the pred using entocort to reap the corticosteroid benefits while minimizing the nasty side-effects. But because Xifaxan is so well tolerated, I stayed on it and will continue - probably even after a hopefully successful taper off the pred and entocort. I'm curious as to whether Xifaxan can be used in conjunction with probiotics."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

For Crohn's Disease "I only just learned of Xifaxan after my 3.5 yr remission streak ended with a brutal flare. Desperately longing only for some pred, I was instead prescribed Xifaxan 550mg bid. But any disappointment faded on day 2 when I noticed it lowering the inflammation. Now I'm on day 5 and I'm impressed with this stuff. Pain is 80-90% lower and now eating normal meals without incident. I was on Flagyl for years but it never quieted a flare like Xifaxan is doing now. I may be able to tell prednisone good bye for ever."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "I had taken Lactulose for almost 5 yrs before Xifaxan came out. I had a lot of diarrhea and general bloating and abdominal discomfort with Lactulose. That all disappeared when I started Xifaxan, and I would encourage patients to do themselves a favor and improve their quality of life by asking their doc for Xifaxan. My ammonia is <25, better than when I took Lactulose, and my feeling of well-being is 10 out of 10."

heppercat January 30, 2015

For Diarrhea "I have had a weight loss surgery called Duodenal Switch which requires antibiotics periodically for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Xifaxan is the only thing that works for me months until another flare. I thank God my GI prescribed it. "

Owlwoman December 18, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

For Hepatic Encephalopathy "My husband's thought process has improved greatly. He also has more energy and less depression. He feels better."

no one number May 11, 2014

For Crohn's Disease "Xifaxin was the only medicine that was able to get me off steroids and into remission with my Crohn's disease. I had been on steroids for 2 years and had 2 surgeries for blockages. I took a two week course of this and within 3 days I was having normal bowel movements. Pain free after a week. Six months later I had another attack, took Xifaxin again with same results. In remission now for 3 years."

Krobar July 5, 2013

For Diarrhea "I wish it didn't have to be so expensive. It gave me instant relief. "

Anonymous October 1, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

For Traveler's Diarrhea "Returned from a trip to Kenya, Africa and brought back an unexpected guest which caused my diarrhea for two weeks. Tried the usual antibiotic regimen along with Questran, neither of which worked with total success. Tried Xifaxan in combination with Probiotics and the cure was virtually overnight. I will definitely remember this and refer to anyone I know with similar problem."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return. "

luckysinnimon June 19, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I absolutely am amazed by Xifaxan. After suffering from IBS symptoms for years (you know, wake up with flat stomach, go to bed looking 7 months pregnant, in addition to painful cramps, horrid gas etc...), the Xifaxan eliminated my symptoms in a matter of days. My bad flatulence disappeared. Bloating..gone. Lost a few pounds to boot. Unfortunately, after two rounds in Sept-Oct, my symptoms were back in December. If I could, I would take Xifaxan every day. Insurance is not cooperative. After 24 hours on this latest round, my bloating is well diminished and my low back pain is better (maybe because when IBS symptoms aren't bad, I can more easily contract my abdominals)."

Anonymous February 9, 2010

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Crohn's Disease "It took few days for it to start working. I'm taking 2 pills a day. First few days felt bad cramps but after that it felt like a complete cure. No bathroom trips, gained weight, I can eat anything without feeling bloated."

Anonymous September 23, 2009

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This drug saved my life. I have severe irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years and it completely stopped all my symptoms for 4 months. My doctor recommended that I repeat the treatment every 3-4 months."

Jacob1 May 20, 2009

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "I have IBS and recently my doctor had me try Xifaxan. After 3 days, I felt like my life had returned to normal. My bloating and diarrhea were under control. I didn't experience any unwanted side effects either."

IBS sufferer September 8, 2008

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "This medicine saved my life. I have IBS and got some virus or something that attacked my bowels and made me sick for 6 weeks until a new doctor gave me this. Within days I was back on track. From six weeks of weakness and extreme diahrrea it was nice to be normal again."

Anonymous August 17, 2008

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diarrhea "I have been battling diarrhea for over 10 years. My GE doctor prescribed asacol, vsl#3, and xifaxan. I took all in combination and had almost instant relief. Then I stopped taking the prescribed drugs for 6 weeks and the symptoms started to return. I resumed taking vsl#3 and asacol with mediocre results. I then added xifaxan and my bowel movements returned to normal. I wonder how long and how frequently I will have to take this drug before I am permanently cured of this condition."

sid49 June 29, 2008

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome "Really helped my Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms!"

Anonymous June 25, 2008

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Diarrhea "I wish Xifaxan wasn't so expensive, because it has changed my life. I noticed a huge change in the range of foods that I could eat, and the level of chronic pain and diarrhea I was having, after taking a full course (which left me broke)."

Anonymous May 30, 2008