User Reviews for Xifaxan

Learn more about Xifaxan.

Xifaxan Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Xifaxan to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

"Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

"This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

"It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

"The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return. "

luckysinnimon June 19, 2011

"I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

"I absolutely am amazed by Xifaxan. After suffering from IBS symptoms for years (you know, wake up with flat stomach, go to bed looking 7 months pregnant, in addition to painful cramps, horrid gas etc...), the Xifaxan eliminated my symptoms in a matter of days. My bad flatulence disappeared. Bloating..gone. Lost a few pounds to boot. Unfortunately, after two rounds in Sept-Oct, my symptoms were back in December. If I could, I would take Xifaxan every day. Insurance is not cooperative. After 24 hours on this latest round, my bloating is well diminished and my low back pain is better (maybe because when IBS symptoms aren't bad, I can more easily contract my abdominals)."

Anonymous February 9, 2010

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug saved my life. I have severe irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years and it completely stopped all my symptoms for 4 months. My doctor recommended that I repeat the treatment every 3-4 months."

Jacob1 May 20, 2009

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have IBS and recently my doctor had me try Xifaxan. After 3 days, I felt like my life had returned to normal. My bloating and diarrhea were under control. I didn't experience any unwanted side effects either."

IBS sufferer September 8, 2008

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine saved my life. I have IBS and got some virus or something that attacked my bowels and made me sick for 6 weeks until a new doctor gave me this. Within days I was back on track. From six weeks of weakness and extreme diahrrea it was nice to be normal again."

Anonymous August 17, 2008

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Really helped my Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms!"

Anonymous June 25, 2008

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome