User Reviews for Xifaxan

Learn more about Xifaxan.

Xifaxan review summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 95 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Xifaxan to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 7:57 PM

It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe.

March 2, 2012 11:08 PM

Review by luckysinnimon:

The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return.

June 19, 2011 3:36 PM

I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course.

November 17, 2010 7:56 PM

I absolutely am amazed by Xifaxan. After suffering from IBS symptoms for years (you know, wake up with flat stomach, go to bed looking 7 months pregnant, in addition to painful cramps, horrid gas etc...), the Xifaxan eliminated my symptoms in a matter of days. My bad flatulence disappeared. Bloating..gone. Lost a few pounds to boot. Unfortunately, after two rounds in Sept-Oct, my symptoms were back in December. If I could, I would take Xifaxan every day. Insurance is not cooperative. After 24 hours on this latest round, my bloating is well diminished and my low back pain is better (maybe because when IBS symptoms aren't bad, I can more easily contract my abdominals).

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 9, 2010 6:55 PM

Review by Jacob1:

This drug saved my life. I have severe irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years and it completely stopped all my symptoms for 4 months. My doctor recommended that I repeat the treatment every 3-4 months.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2009 7:56 PM

Review by IBS sufferer:

I have IBS and recently my doctor had me try Xifaxan. After 3 days, I felt like my life had returned to normal. My bloating and diarrhea were under control. I didn't experience any unwanted side effects either.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2008 11:18 AM

This medicine saved my life. I have IBS and got some virus or something that attacked my bowels and made me sick for 6 weeks until a new doctor gave me this. Within days I was back on track. From six weeks of weakness and extreme diahrrea it was nice to be normal again.

August 17, 2008 2:01 PM

Really helped my Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms!

June 25, 2008 2:19 PM