Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Rifaximin

Also known as: Xifaxan

Learn more about Rifaximin.

Crohn's Disease 2 reviews 68 medications

8.2
Summary of Rifaximin reviews 19 reviews 9.3

Reviews for Rifaximin

Review by Saheed: User Rating:

rifaximin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had very severe form of irritable bowel syndrome. This medicine has given me my life back where so many other medications have failed. I would recommend it to anybody suffering irritable bowel syndrome, please try it and do not suffer.

September 24, 2013 2:09 PM
Review by Krobar: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: Xifaxin was the only medicine that was able to get me off steroids and into remission with my Crohn's disease. I had been on steroids for 2 years and had 2 surgeries for blockages. I took a two week course of this and within 3 days I was having normal bowel movements. Pain free after a week. Six months later I had another attack, took Xifaxin again with same results. In remission now for 3 years.

July 5, 2013 1:28 AM
Review by Plastic Handle 8 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

rifaximin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Had Tropical Sprue twice with parasites and have been suffering since 1969 Vietnam and Gulf War to the present with diarrhea, bloating, cramps, flatus, perianal fungal infections. Nothing worked accept this medication to stop the frequent loose stools and a host of other symptoms. Had every test that the GI doctors could dream up. I have taken every probiotic known and none of them have worked to reduce the symptoms. I have done every elimination diet and also been on Chinese medicine and treatments. I have used it for two courses of treatment with remarkable results, a 90% reduction of symptoms overall. I am a retired RN.

March 25, 2013 5:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: I wish it didn't have to be so expensive. It gave me instant relief.

October 1, 2012 7:06 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe.

March 2, 2012 11:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Traveler's Diarrhea: Returned from a trip to Kenya, Africa and brought back an unexpected guest which caused my diarrhea for two weeks. Tried the usual antibiotic regimen along with Questran, neither of which worked with total success. Tried Xifaxan in combination with Probiotics and the cure was virtually overnight. I will definitely remember this and refer to anyone I know with similar problem.

November 22, 2011 3:18 PM
Review by luckysinnimon: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return.

June 19, 2011 3:36 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

rifaximin for Hepatic Encephalopathy: I was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the Liver. This medication helped with my Hepatic Encephalopathy. I just wish it was not so expensive.

February 2, 2011 5:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course.

November 17, 2010 7:56 PM
Review by world traveler: User Rating:

rifaximin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This product is helping me cope with IBS" whenever I travel to Asia.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2010 5:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I absolutely am amazed by Xifaxan. After suffering from IBS symptoms for years (you know, wake up with flat stomach, go to bed looking 7 months pregnant, in addition to painful cramps, horrid gas etc...), the Xifaxan eliminated my symptoms in a matter of days. My bad flatulence disappeared. Bloating..gone. Lost a few pounds to boot. Unfortunately, after two rounds in Sept-Oct, my symptoms were back in December. If I could, I would take Xifaxan every day. Insurance is not cooperative. After 24 hours on this latest round, my bloating is well diminished and my low back pain is better (maybe because when IBS symptoms aren't bad, I can more easily contract my abdominals).

February 9, 2010 6:55 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: It took few days for it to start working. I'm taking 2 pills a day. First few days felt bad cramps but after that it felt like a complete cure. No bathroom trips, gained weight, I can eat anything without feeling bloated.

September 23, 2009 12:46 PM
Review by anonemouse: User Rating:

rifaximin for Traveler's Diarrhea: This drug works miracles. I went on vacation with family, had dinner at a non-American food buffet. I was careful what I ate but got sick before we left the restaurant. 3 weeks of misery, called the doctor, got rifaximin, and was feeling 90% improved by second day of treatment. Amazing-amazing-amazing drug!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 10, 2009 3:25 PM
Review by Jacob1: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This drug saved my life. I have severe irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years and it completely stopped all my symptoms for 4 months. My doctor recommended that I repeat the treatment every 3-4 months.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 20, 2009 7:56 PM
Review by IBS sufferer: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have IBS and recently my doctor had me try Xifaxan. After 3 days, I felt like my life had returned to normal. My bloating and diarrhea were under control. I didn't experience any unwanted side effects either.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 8, 2008 11:18 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: This medicine saved my life. I have IBS and got some virus or something that attacked my bowels and made me sick for 6 weeks until a new doctor gave me this. Within days I was back on track. From six weeks of weakness and extreme diahrrea it was nice to be normal again.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 17, 2008 2:01 PM
Review by sid49: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: I have been battling diarrhea for over 10 years. My GE doctor prescribed asacol, vsl#3, and xifaxan. I took all in combination and had almost instant relief. Then I stopped taking the prescribed drugs for 6 weeks and the symptoms started to return. I resumed taking vsl#3 and asacol with mediocre results. I then added xifaxan and my bowel movements returned to normal. I wonder how long and how frequently I will have to take this drug before I am permanently cured of this condition.

June 29, 2008 11:03 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Really helped my Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms!

June 25, 2008 2:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: I wish Xifaxan wasn't so expensive, because it has changed my life. I noticed a huge change in the range of foods that I could eat, and the level of chronic pain and diarrhea I was having, after taking a full course (which left me broke).

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 30, 2008 10:59 AM