User Reviews for Rifaximin

Also known as: Xifaxan

Learn more about Rifaximin.

Diarrhea 4 reviews 91 medications

8.8
Irritable Bowel Syndrome 24 reviews 136 medications

Summary of Rifaximin reviews 37 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Rifaximin

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I do not recommend this drug at all! I have had IBS for 6 years this drug made my diarrhea worse!! I had great hopes that this drug was going to give me some relief, not so. I do believe that an antibiotic will one day cure this problem, I was given a common antibiotic for a sinus infection on two different occasions which not only cured my sinuses but also stopped the diarrhea for months. This drug is not the cure, not to mention the fact that is drug cost nearly $2000.00 please do not assume that I am complaining due to cost, this drug cost me 25.00, my insurance company was the one who paid. I would suggest to this drug company, Go back to the drawing board!"

Harley1012 February 8, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), predominately methane gas producing (constipation/bloat mostly). This means a lot of archaea (not a bacteria so xifaxin doesn't treat it, but I was still advised to take xifaxin, 550, 3x/day, 14 days). My bloating and flatulence got progressively worse, tolerable but worse. I kept sibo active by eating plenty of healthy carbs as advised. I'm on day 10 and feel no different. I expected to have more energy by now. Folks with diarrhea seem to have better/immediate results; makes sense since xifaxan targets the bacteria that causes diarrhea. To try to kill off the archaea, I'm taking my own course of natural antibiotics now overlapping with xifaxin (allicin,berberbine,neem). I have leaky gut bad, sibo has got to go."

Sherry SAB January 31, 2016

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took this 5 years ago after a colonoscopy for my extreme IBS issues. It totally changed my life so much. I've been having issues again lately so I'm trying it again for a 2nd time to reset my system. I still have occasional issues, but NOTHING like it use to be. This stuff has been a miracle for me!"

KB1111 January 30, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "made bloating and digestion and constipation worse"

madely January 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am from San Diego, Ca and i just wanted to let you know that this drug is great. It has been around in Mexico for ages and its called Flonorm. You can get a full 2 week dose for $30dls . I've been on and off 4 times with no bad side effects. My Ibs-d comes back after a couple of weeks if I'm off it. I can't help but wonder if there is a bad bacteria in there that just won't go away?"

RudyAguilar January 5, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I been through hell and back dealing with this stupid disease. I have a fabulous GI doc, who has tried me on a million medicines for diarrhea and pain from IBS: anti-diarrheals, anti-spasm meds, bile acid sequestrants (I have no gallbladder), tricyclic ADs, etc. None of them helped except this medicine. Seven years into this misery, and I've finally found the drug that works for me. I can begin LIVING again instead of only going through the motions. Please give it a try. My heart breaks for those of us that cannot find relief from this debilitating condition."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been suffering for years w/ upper abdominal pain severe so bad once I went to ER...they came up w/ slow motility along w/ my GI Dr ordering the test..Breath tests for H pylori - negative ..endoscopies showed gastritis..went gluten free this helped tremendously, but then recently attack of the Abdominal pain...shooting to left side, severe bloating, hard to have BM..GI dr said lets try Xifaxan 550 mg 3xs a day for 2 weeks. Within my second dose I feel much better! I hope this continues. The drug is expensive but go on the Xifaxan site download your coupon, it should cost less depending on your ins. I hope we can all get relief from this little wonder!"

DeeNJ November 11, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug is totally ineffective."

Jim 222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "AWFUL MEDICATION. I was on Xifaxan for a week and a half when it started giving me crippling stomach cramps every time I ate. The cramps have persisted three weeks beyond stopping the medication and I can only eat plain rice/pasta and peas. It also didn't do what it was prescribed to do and I still have symptoms of IBS. All it did was give me a side effect that makes me not able to eat."

Lynne12 October 5, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "Turns out I jumped the gun in touting xifaxan as a potential prednisone replacement for flare remission - at least on it's own. The initial symptomatic relief continued but hit a plateau, requiring the addition of a corticosteroid. So my Dr. additionally put me on entocort ec, but this flare remains stubborn. No longer willing to suffer, I requested prednisone. Day 3 and striking improvements. I will taper off the pred using entocort to reap the corticosteroid benefits while minimizing the nasty side-effects. But because Xifaxan is so well tolerated, I stayed on it and will continue - probably even after a hopefully successful taper off the pred and entocort. I'm curious as to whether Xifaxan can be used in conjunction with probiotics."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "I only just learned of Xifaxan after my 3.5 yr remission streak ended with a brutal flare. Desperately longing only for some pred, I was instead prescribed Xifaxan 550mg bid. But any disappointment faded on day 2 when I noticed it lowering the inflammation. Now I'm on day 5 and I'm impressed with this stuff. Pain is 80-90% lower and now eating normal meals without incident. I was on Flagyl for years but it never quieted a flare like Xifaxan is doing now. I may be able to tell prednisone good bye for ever."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been on this for 4 days and I've been nothing but bloated and having diarrhea and miserable."

PabloIs hurting March 12, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I had taken Lactulose for almost 5 yrs before Xifaxan came out. I had a lot of diarrhea and general bloating and abdominal discomfort with Lactulose. That all disappeared when I started Xifaxan, and I would encourage patients to do themselves a favor and improve their quality of life by asking their doc for Xifaxan. My ammonia is <25, better than when I took Lactulose, and my feeling of well-being is 10 out of 10."

heppercat January 30, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: "I have had a weight loss surgery called Duodenal Switch which requires antibiotics periodically for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Xifaxan is the only thing that works for me months until another flare. I thank God my GI prescribed it. "

Owlwoman December 18, 2014

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "My husband's thought process has improved greatly. He also has more energy and less depression. He feels better."

no one number May 11, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had very severe form of irritable bowel syndrome. This medicine has given me my life back where so many other medications have failed. I would recommend it to anybody suffering irritable bowel syndrome, please try it and do not suffer."

Saheed September 24, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "Xifaxin was the only medicine that was able to get me off steroids and into remission with my Crohn's disease. I had been on steroids for 2 years and had 2 surgeries for blockages. I took a two week course of this and within 3 days I was having normal bowel movements. Pain free after a week. Six months later I had another attack, took Xifaxin again with same results. In remission now for 3 years."

Krobar July 5, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had Tropical Sprue twice with parasites and have been suffering since 1969 Vietnam and Gulf War to the present with diarrhea, bloating, cramps, flatus, perianal fungal infections. Nothing worked accept this medication to stop the frequent loose stools and a host of other symptoms. Had every test that the GI doctors could dream up. I have taken every probiotic known and none of them have worked to reduce the symptoms. I have done every elimination diet and also been on Chinese medicine and treatments. I have used it for two courses of treatment with remarkable results, a 90% reduction of symptoms overall. I am a retired RN."

Plastic Handle 8 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2013

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: "I wish it didn't have to be so expensive. It gave me instant relief. "

Anonymous October 1, 2012

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Traveler's Diarrhea: "Returned from a trip to Kenya, Africa and brought back an unexpected guest which caused my diarrhea for two weeks. Tried the usual antibiotic regimen along with Questran, neither of which worked with total success. Tried Xifaxan in combination with Probiotics and the cure was virtually overnight. I will definitely remember this and refer to anyone I know with similar problem."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return. "

luckysinnimon June 19, 2011

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate