User Reviews for Rifaximin

Also known as: Xifaxan

Learn more about Rifaximin.

Diarrhea 4 reviews 58 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 15 reviews 129 medications

7.9
Summary of Rifaximin reviews 28 reviews 9.0

Reviews for Rifaximin

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This my third time taking xifaxan. First two times was 2 200mg 3xday. 6 tablets per day for 10 days for SIBO. Just started 550 MGS 3XDAY for 14 days. The cost is prohibitive $331 Co pay. So far not feeling much relief from abdominal pain. I was not retested for SIBO but prescribed this for IBS. I am also on gluten free and FODMAP diet. I have low IgA and IgG immunoglobulins. Everything seems to be just trial and error. I will continue to take it. Not very hopeful. Everything gets blamed on low immunoglobulins."

SIBO/IBS (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Tested positive for SIBO. I had asked my GI doc for that test. Was happy to have an answer after years of suffering. I am also hypoglycemic, so the actual TEST for SIBO had my blood sugar super low...probably 2 days to recover from that! The first 2 days on the drug I have felt dizzy and tired and my arms super tingly (?). But the BM's improved immediately so I didn't want to stop the Xifaxan. Now at 4 days, I'm not sure. Sometimes I start feeling amazing.I am also following a diet for candida and paying close attention to food combining. Just today started feeling the abdominal cramping come back! Really not sure what to do here...."

biker rock star June 2, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "Turns out I jumped the gun in touting xifaxan as a potential prednisone replacement for flare remission - at least on it's own. The initial symptomatic relief continued but hit a plateau, requiring the addition of a corticosteroid. So my Dr. additionally put me on entocort ec, but this flare remains stubborn. No longer willing to suffer, I requested prednisone. Day 3 and striking improvements. I will taper off the pred using entocort to reap the corticosteroid benefits while minimizing the nasty side-effects. But because Xifaxan is so well tolerated, I stayed on it and will continue - probably even after a hopefully successful taper off the pred and entocort. I'm curious as to whether Xifaxan can be used in conjunction with probiotics."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "I only just learned of Xifaxan after my 3.5 yr remission streak ended with a brutal flare. Desperately longing only for some pred, I was instead prescribed Xifaxan 550mg bid. But any disappointment faded on day 2 when I noticed it lowering the inflammation. Now I'm on day 5 and I'm impressed with this stuff. Pain is 80-90% lower and now eating normal meals without incident. I was on Flagyl for years but it never quieted a flare like Xifaxan is doing now. I may be able to tell prednisone good bye for ever."

A - Train (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been on this for 4 days and I've been nothing but bloated and having diarrhea and miserable."

PabloIs hurting March 12, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I had taken Lactulose for almost 5 yrs before Xifaxan came out. I had a lot of diarrhea and general bloating and abdominal discomfort with Lactulose. That all disappeared when I started Xifaxan, and I would encourage patients to do themselves a favor and improve their quality of life by asking their doc for Xifaxan. My ammonia is <25, better than when I took Lactulose, and my feeling of well-being is 10 out of 10."

heppercat January 30, 2015

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: "I have had a weight loss surgery called Duodenal Switch which requires antibiotics periodically for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth Xifaxan is the only thing that works for me months until another flare. I thank God my GI prescribed it. "

Owlwoman December 18, 2014

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This was given to me for SIBO (I've suffered from irritable bowel syndrome for years). I took it 3x/day for 14 days. Although I had no side effects from this medicine it did not help with resolving my SIBO. I even did another test for SIBO after I took the antibiotics and there was absolutely no change. Also luckily my insurance covered so it was $70 but without insurance its around $900!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2014

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Hepatic Encephalopathy: "My husband's thought process has improved greatly. He also has more energy and less depression. He feels better."

no one number May 11, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had very severe form of irritable bowel syndrome. This medicine has given me my life back where so many other medications have failed. I would recommend it to anybody suffering irritable bowel syndrome, please try it and do not suffer."

Saheed September 24, 2013

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "Xifaxin was the only medicine that was able to get me off steroids and into remission with my Crohn's disease. I had been on steroids for 2 years and had 2 surgeries for blockages. I took a two week course of this and within 3 days I was having normal bowel movements. Pain free after a week. Six months later I had another attack, took Xifaxin again with same results. In remission now for 3 years."

Krobar July 5, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had Tropical Sprue twice with parasites and have been suffering since 1969 Vietnam and Gulf War to the present with diarrhea, bloating, cramps, flatus, perianal fungal infections. Nothing worked accept this medication to stop the frequent loose stools and a host of other symptoms. Had every test that the GI doctors could dream up. I have taken every probiotic known and none of them have worked to reduce the symptoms. I have done every elimination diet and also been on Chinese medicine and treatments. I have used it for two courses of treatment with remarkable results, a 90% reduction of symptoms overall. I am a retired RN."

Plastic Handle 8 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2013

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Diarrhea: "I wish it didn't have to be so expensive. It gave me instant relief. "

Anonymous October 1, 2012

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It definitely helped with cramping and diarrhea but I still did have the occasional episode of diarrhea. However, after 5 months I'm back to where I started. I don't know how I feel about having to take an antibiotic every 5 months or if thats even recommended/safe."

Anonymous March 2, 2012

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Traveler's Diarrhea: "Returned from a trip to Kenya, Africa and brought back an unexpected guest which caused my diarrhea for two weeks. Tried the usual antibiotic regimen along with Questran, neither of which worked with total success. Tried Xifaxan in combination with Probiotics and the cure was virtually overnight. I will definitely remember this and refer to anyone I know with similar problem."

Anonymous November 22, 2011

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "The only thing that gave me relief was this medicine. After having endoamoeba hystolitica (sp?), 3 years ago, and long after killing the amoeba, I had different symptoms related to intestines. Chronic loose bowels and bloating. I read about this medicine and convinced Doctor to get me a prescription for this (it wasn't as yet FDA approved for irritable bowel syndrome). Within 3 days I began to normalize, after 1 week was symptom free for 6 months. Slowly I am beginning to have problems again. I started my first dose again today and hope to normalize again. Wish it didn't seem to return. "

luckysinnimon June 19, 2011

For Hepatic Encephalopathy: "I was diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the Liver. This medication helped with my Hepatic Encephalopathy. I just wish it was not so expensive."

Anonymous February 2, 2011

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have to take the 14 day course every 2-3 months as symptoms do return- but it is worth it! I get 100% relief within 48 hours after I start a course."

Anonymous November 17, 2010

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This product is helping me cope with IBS" whenever I travel to Asia."

world traveler May 11, 2010

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I absolutely am amazed by Xifaxan. After suffering from IBS symptoms for years (you know, wake up with flat stomach, go to bed looking 7 months pregnant, in addition to painful cramps, horrid gas etc...), the Xifaxan eliminated my symptoms in a matter of days. My bad flatulence disappeared. Bloating..gone. Lost a few pounds to boot. Unfortunately, after two rounds in Sept-Oct, my symptoms were back in December. If I could, I would take Xifaxan every day. Insurance is not cooperative. After 24 hours on this latest round, my bloating is well diminished and my low back pain is better (maybe because when IBS symptoms aren't bad, I can more easily contract my abdominals)."

Anonymous February 9, 2010

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Crohn's Disease: "It took few days for it to start working. I'm taking 2 pills a day. First few days felt bad cramps but after that it felt like a complete cure. No bathroom trips, gained weight, I can eat anything without feeling bloated."

Anonymous September 23, 2009

For Traveler's Diarrhea: "This drug works miracles. I went on vacation with family, had dinner at a non-American food buffet. I was careful what I ate but got sick before we left the restaurant. 3 weeks of misery, called the doctor, got rifaximin, and was feeling 90% improved by second day of treatment. Amazing-amazing-amazing drug!"

anonemouse August 10, 2009

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug saved my life. I have severe irritable bowel syndrome for 20 years and it completely stopped all my symptoms for 4 months. My doctor recommended that I repeat the treatment every 3-4 months."

Jacob1 May 20, 2009

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS and recently my doctor had me try Xifaxan. After 3 days, I felt like my life had returned to normal. My bloating and diarrhea were under control. I didn't experience any unwanted side effects either."

IBS sufferer September 8, 2008

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Xifaxan (rifaximin) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine saved my life. I have IBS and got some virus or something that attacked my bowels and made me sick for 6 weeks until a new doctor gave me this. Within days I was back on track. From six weeks of weakness and extreme diahrrea it was nice to be normal again."

Anonymous August 17, 2008

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate