User Reviews for Quinapril

Also known as: Accupril

Learn more about Quinapril.

Quinapril review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Quinapril to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by Opera buff (taken for less than 1 month):

I have now tried 11 hypertension medicines. I found that quinapril gives me a headache, but not as bad as most of the others. It also makes me dizzy, but not as bad as some of the others. And like all the ACE inhibitors, it does lower my blood sugar some, but not as bad as lisinopril or any of the the beta blockers. All of the medicines I've tried have contributed to impotence, but unlike the comments of a previous reviewer, I found that quinapril was the least guilty of the lot. Strangely, since they are both ACE inhibitors, lisinopril is the most guilty.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2014 1:14 PM

People mention a cough as a potential side effect-I've hardly noticed this at all, but what I HAVE noticed, is that this medicine interferes with getting a good erection. Skipping a dose (or delaying it until after sex) does help(assuming your doctor says that it is okay to skip or delay a dose. Of course on the other hand, I was on a different high blood pressure medicine years ago, and it was WAY worse in this regard. And, YES, erectile dysfunction medicines will help overcome the effect. I've been using Quinapril for many years-started with 20 MG once a day, and eventually went to 40 MG once a day. It has worked reasonably well...note that users of the medicine in this class (ACE Inhibitors) sometimes end up with cold hands and feet. This is generally an issue in cold climates.

December 20, 2010 3:38 PM

Review by philmiami:

Took it for a little over 6 months - Quinapril HCL 40mg along with Amlodipine Besylate 5mg and 1/2 a pill of Hydrochlorothiazide 50mg. The cough got to be excessive. Of course I do smoke, but I know the difference between smokers cough and something else. Switched to Benicar 20mg, after 7 days side effects just too much and it is so expensive. Quit the Benicar. The coughing is very annoying but will have to try it again as it is like the only medicine that I can afford right now. Everyone is different but it is okay as far as I am concerned for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2010 6:07 AM

Review by CharlieR:

Accupril (quinapril): I had been taking this drug for some 3 plus years as a precaution (protection due to family history) as my only brother has had 4 strokes and my father died of a massive coronary failure.

March 20, 2010 9:28 AM