User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Bipolar Disorder 134 reviews 48 medications

7.7
Schizophrenia 7 reviews 36 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 17 reviews 28 medications

6.8
Summary of Seroquel reviews 158 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Seroquel

For Bipolar Disorder: I changed to Seroquel from Zyprexa because of uncontrollable appetite. I don't have this so much with Seroquel. I feel like myself now, experiencing emotions in a normal way as well as a better ability to think. Seroquel (as well as the Zyprexa) has allowed me to return to work full time after a long period of feeling I was walking around dead, waiting for the next trial medicine to work. These atypical antipsychotic medicines worked quickly - even in the lower initial doses I could feel a change. They gave me a life, to the point where I was able to have a relationship and now marry. My only problem is sweating, which is difficult here in the Tropics.

April 23, 2011 3:01 AM

Review by anona:

For Insomnia: I am in treatment for Lyme disease and the antibiotics, as well as the infections, cause insomnia, depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. I used herbs to quieten my mind so I could sleep and they were successful for a couple of years, but finally I needed something stronger. I take just half of a 25 mg pill an hour before I want to fall asleep. It works very well but I do feel groggy in the morning. At first I even had trouble talking as my speech was slurred.

April 17, 2011 1:02 PM

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Seroquel changed my life. After roughly 20 years of treatment with medications for borderline personality disorder I had a new doctor put me on Seroquel. At first I resented the sedation, but after time I adjusted to it and the dosage was moderated and timed differently. Ultimately, however, it was the first medicicne to thoroughly handle my anxiety, and stop my obsessive thoughts in their tracks. The only downside has been the carbohydrate cravings and weight gain, but even those have become manageable with other supplements and medications. The gains far out weigh losses.

April 16, 2011 1:48 AM

Review by Ins0mnia:

For Insomnia: I am 38 year old female who has suffered from severe insomnia for 6 years which has gotten much worse. I have been taking 10 mg of Ambien which worked well initially (about a year) until is stopped working. I wake up at 2:30 AM and cannot go back to sleep. I have also tried all typically prescribed sleeping medicines to no avail. I was diagnosed with depression. I am taking 20mg of Prozac and recently 25 mg of Seroquel. I was worried about those who gained so much weight on Seroquel as I am a fitness fanatic. 1st night I took it at 7:30pm, woke up feeling very groggy and out of it all day but did sleep better the first night. 2nd night, I took it earlier 6:30pm and noticed my legs twitching. Slept and felt better taking it earlier. Haven't noticed any cravings.

April 13, 2011 5:01 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for several years. I am taking 400mg at bedtime to help with insomnia but mostly for bipolar. I have tried other medications to help me sleep like trazodone, Ambien, and Klonopin. The Seroquel works but boy do I eat after taking this pill. I'm tired of eating so heavy after taking this pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2011 8:26 PM

Review by Wyndrake:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been treated for Schizoaffective Disorder and Bipolar 1 since 1998. I have been on many medicines and combinations of medicines. In 2006 I had been off medicines for about a year when I went into psychosis and extremely manic - I was not sleeping and could not relax. The hallucinations and delusions were troubling. I was given Seroquel and on the FIRST NIGHT I slept and slept very well for the first time in months. I woke up with a clear head and was not confused about who or where I was. I did not get the zombie feeling but I was very tired all the time - taking Seroquel 4 times a day. When my dose and frequency were reduced the sleepiness went away. (I take it just at bedtime now). I didn't get weight gain from it. Seroquel was my miracle medicine.

March 31, 2011 4:30 PM

For Depression: I am 49 and have Bipolar II. Been on Seroquel 400 mg for one year. Initially very drowsy, restless legs, dry mouth and blocked nose, most side effects lifted after 3 months. This medicine controlled my racing thoughts, helped me concentrate (I thought I had ADD). Ironically, despite the drowsiness it lifted my extreme exhaustion (I used to have weekly Vitamin B injections because I was so tired). I no longer feel drowsy, managed not to gain weight with the help of a dietitian and an exercise program. I do get very hungry but refuse to give in to the hunger. I also take Wellburtin and Zoloft to help the depression, tearfulness and agitation. I would recommend Seroquel to Bipolar patients.

March 29, 2011 3:22 AM

Review by angst:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been using Seroquel for about 18 months together with Pristiq. At first I took 25g at night then I added to that 100mg Seroquel XR. I seemed far more relaxed and able to cope with life a little better. However over the last 2 months the agitation became unbearable and my depression increased immensely. I have dropped 50mg of the XR over the past few days and I am already feeling less anxious and agitated.

March 26, 2011 6:43 AM

Review by ZeldaZonk:

For Bipolar Disorder: I found this medication helpful with reducing hypomanic symptoms - mainly I took it to control episodes of violent rage which it did. It gave me tachycardia so I had to discontinue. My PROBLEM with this medicine is that it has changed my body permanently (so far - it's been 3 yrs). I was one of those people who could eat whatever I wanted, exercise, not exercise - I never gained weight. Now I'm carrying an extra 10 kgs which I am NOT happy about. I can't get rid of it.

March 17, 2011 10:16 PM

Review by sleepatlast:

For Insomnia: I've had severe insomnia for over three years and it was not uncommon for me not to sleep for two or three days in a row. After trying several other prescription medications, none of which worked, my Doctor placed me on Seroquel. I slept well but the side-effects were awful. It gave me severe headaches and made me feel like a total zombie the next day. However after the first week or so I decided to take one-half the amount prescribed and I still got the sleep but the side-effects disappeared. After three years of bad insonmia, I don't know what I'd do without it..

March 4, 2011 4:42 AM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Withdrawal is nasty in spite of doctors saying there are no withdrawal effects. It is sedative and can be impairing so drivers be careful

February 23, 2011 9:37 PM

For Depression: I recently started Seroquel 50 MG for depression, panic disorder, anxiety, insomnia. The first couple of days and then up to 150 MG. This medication works great. It creates anxiolytic effects similar to clonazapam and relieves all my anxiety. I Sleep well to. I can actually function thanks to this medication and it works excellently for paranoia and anxiety. I've also found it to work great for sleep. I was previously on Abilify which was very activating and gave me a lot of anxiety and I couldn't sleep more than 1-2 hours. On Seroquel I sleep a full 8 hours and I wake up refreshed and ready for the day. It controls my anxiety and works wonders. Side effects are: No sex drive, and Drowsiness. Great medicine, works great.

January 29, 2011 2:22 PM

Review by drew_denver:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: If OCD thoughts are keeping you up at night this works well. Turns the brain off with literally 25 mg a night one hour before I want to sleep. Daytime Paxil has worked best for me.

January 19, 2011 12:43 AM

For Insomnia: 100 mg every night combined with 200 mg Lamictal and 160 mg of Geodon relaxes me and helps me sleep.

January 9, 2011 9:28 PM

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I'm on 700mg of Seroquel. The worst side effects I have are intense hunger and weight gain and a decrease in my sex drive. Both of these are horrible, but my mind is clear. Not sure if it's worth it or not. Wondering if there is a medicine out there to add to my regime that will deplete my hunger and boost my sex drive.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2011 3:41 PM

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: It helps me feel somewhat normal for a change.

January 4, 2011 3:21 AM

Review by joyceelaine099:

For Bipolar Disorder: I started this medication and within a day of starting the full dose I was prescribed (300 mg) I passed out twice in about an hour and a half. I would NOT suggest this to anyone who has reacted to any other medication (I myself also experienced nasty side effects to Geodon).

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2010 2:37 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was given 25mg once a day in conjunction with Lamictal. I started hallucinating about a day in. Stopped taking it 4 days later after severe hallucinations.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2010 1:48 AM

For Insomnia: This medicine has changed my life. On for 2 months now. Almost didn't try because of bad postings. 46 y.o. male with lifetime insomnia, worse the last 8 years. Off and on sleeping pills and self medicating daily with alcohol was destroying my marriage and life. Sleep 7 hrs every night without fail now. A little slow to get going first thing in the morning but otherwise feel like I'm 20 again. Taking 200mg at bedtime. Zero weight gain. Just had bloods. Cholesterol 140, Triglycerides 53, glucose 79. I work out daily, eat extremely healthy, take no other medicines, and have had no alcohol for 2 months with zero desire for it.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2010 6:38 PM

For Insomnia: I have had insomnia since I recovered from an Adderall addiction, then used alcohol to self-medicate. Not sleeping makes me frantic. My psychiatrist prescribed Seroquel 150 mg, which I have been using for 3 years and it works perfectly. Takes effect in less than an hour, during which I read quietly in bed, and I have no issues in the morning, nor have I experienced any hunger. Like others have said, without it I do not sleep, so I have to make sure it is always available. I have had no need or desire to increase the dose.

November 27, 2010 7:33 PM

Review by SitaBug:

For Insomnia: I had not slept in over two years when I finally found Seroquel, my savior! I sleep so great but I have had to increase the amount I take ever so often. Taking 300mg now.

November 27, 2010 1:51 AM

For Depression: I've been taking Seroquel (100mgs) for 2 months now. It's been great. I've had treatment resistant depression for years and have taken every antidepressant on the market with little to no help. I was running out of energy and time. After trying Abilify (bad akathesia), Lamictal (still taking), we tried Seroquel and within a 2 week period I was back in life. What a wonderful gift. I'm very thankful. Also, I've had refractory insomnia that has been alleviated as well.

November 26, 2010 4:40 PM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: After trying nearly every SSRI on the market I was placed on Pristiq, which improved my condition somewhat, but still left me dependent on Xanax to alleviate my daily anxiety. After a particularly bad stretch I was also placed on Seroquel XR. It has helped more than I could have ever hoped for. I finally don't have to reach for a Xanax as soon as I wake up. It was very sedating for the first week after I started, and after increasing my dosage, but this has lessened with time. I do make sure to take it before bed, as it does make me tired as it kicks in, but I welcome this due to my problems with insomnia.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2010 2:28 AM

For Borderline Personality Disorder: This medication is adequate compared to others in its class, despite it still causing significant side effects such as weight gain (which is very undesirable). At first, this medicine seemed very strong and made me 'zombie-like' (e.g. slow, unemotional, sleepy) but after a couple of days these were significantly improved. I was on a dose of up to 75mg, and as far as the effects of each individual dose; 25mg help with sleep and 'anger management', 50mg increased my hunger (a lot) and 75mg helped a little more with anxiety and emotional stability.

November 18, 2010 5:59 PM

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I am 4 weeks in to taking 25mg of Seroquel and I noticed the difference almost straight away. I can think so much better because my anxiety is reduced enough for me to think in straight lines again. I am no where near as paranoid and a bit less dissociative too which is all really good. I was also prescribed Cymbalta for depression but have just ditched that because I was too fearless and suicidal on it. Whilst Seroquel is not touching my depression, I noticed that after taking it I felt that I gained a degree of self-control back which helped me to start to use basic life skills that I have learnt, which help me to deal with some of the BPD approaches to life's problems. Seriously, I find Seroquel even at the low dose to be excellent.

November 11, 2010 10:57 PM