User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Seroquel XR review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by The Neon Scibble:

Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps.

March 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part.

December 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Review by nikkkiii (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It worked well, my moods were more stable. The only downfall was that I gained 20 pounds. As a bulimic and anorexic this terrified me. I ended up going off of it to lose the weight.

June 24, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by maybeimadreamer:

I take this medication for Bipolar II and it has been amazing at stabilizing my moods. I no longer feel filled with rage and irritability and no longer have issues with impulsive thoughts. The big problem that I am having with this medication is horrendous weight gain. I exercise at least three times a week and eat well, yet I have gained 20kg (44.09 pounds) in the 8 months that I have been on this medicine. Another issue I have is vivid dreams. But I think this is just a sign of getting deep and sound sleep - something I could never achieve prior to taking this medicine. It is amazing but a nightmare all rolled into one.

May 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by NattyBoo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I was diagnosed with bipolar II about 5 yrs ago and I've tried everything on the market nothing worked for me except Seroquel. Right now I take 300 mg twice per day and I'm so stable. I'm loving it problem though with Seroquel is that its a major weight gainer. I would stop taking it on and off when I felt better but then would use other meds to bandage my symptoms...get back on then off again...until one day I decided to stop with the denial and allow someone to help me for real. I've been on it now faithfully for 9 months...but I've put on 60lbs! It makes me eat after hours in the middle of the night. I'm depressed because of the weight gain. So I workout at home at times trying to be more consistent. You have to work this medicine.

March 8, 2013 11:56 PM

Review by Ori (taken for less than 1 month):

I was one of the unlucky ones who's prolactin levels skyrocketed. I was only on 100mg, with a plan to ramp my way up to 500 over the course of 10 weeks, which was obviously vetoed when my chest started swelling quite noticeably. Lactation isn't worth what's essentially only a sleeping pill at <500mg doses.

January 19, 2013 7:39 PM

Review by Whimpy23:

Completely non functional, just not for me, I cut the 25 mg ones into Quarters, ONLY if I'm a little too hyper before I go to sleep.

January 9, 2013 5:25 AM

Review by lynnpl (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been in and out of mental health clinics for a long time..just trying to find something to slow my racing thoughts and make me feel like life is bearable. I've taken benzodiazepines..only to become drug seeking and take too many and need early refils, thereby being forced by prescriber to wean off. Done SSRI's with no effect whatsoever. Remeron made me gain 40 pounds in like 2 months time and didn't help me sleep. Marijuana made me paranoid. I just started some new therapy and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and post traumatic stress disorder. She gave me Seroquel XR and my mind is calm and I sleep good on it. I'm still on a pretty low dose..going up to 100mg tonight and then 150mg on 2 days. Just hope I don't gain weight but so far I feel productive and my mind is quiet.

December 29, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by mom232012 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had a negative experience on Seroquel. I do not want this to deter anyone from taking it, as everyone's reaction and experience on this medicine is subjective; I just want to put this out there for anyone who might be experiencing similar symptoms and reactions and may be hesitant to say it and to just relate my own experience. I am Bipolar 2 and have untreated ADHD due to the ADHD medicines causing manic episodes. I started Seroquel 2 months ago when I was having a bout of insomnia. I should state that I was on Wellbutrin, Lamictal, and Paxil, and was feeling good. I was productive during the day and upbeat. I was prescribed Seroquel for the insomnia and taken off all the other except Lamictal. I am now a "zombie", depressed, sleepy 24/7.

October 19, 2012 7:07 PM

Review by pjsy:

The Seroquel makes me feel like I'm dreaming. I kind of feel like I'm losing my sense of reality. The dreams/nightmares I have seem lucid like I can't tell the difference between what I dreamt and what really happened. It is just completely changing my personality. I don't feel like myself anymore.

October 31, 2011 1:24 PM

Made me too "hungover" and groggy the next day. I was even breaking my 50mg pill in half.

September 10, 2011 3:15 PM

I used to be so paranoid I couldn't even sleep at night. I would go into manic episodes and be in lala land for days until this wonderful pill came into my life. I have never felt better. I just never felt so good I'm happy.

August 25, 2011 3:36 AM

Review by senualee:

I suffer from bipolar1, OCD, very severe anxiety, and post traumatic stress disorder. I had been in a mental hospital and had taken so many medicines. I could never stop thinking to the point where I stayed awake all night. Mood swings, temper, just raving mad ,waiting to be set off. Some medicines worked for a short time, and others just didn't work. So my psychologist put me on Lamictal, but it works very slowly and you have to start it on a low dose and work your way up. I had taken it before, but my other doctor left and every other doctor wanted to put me on Lithium but I said no because I have Lupus. But when he put me on Seroquel XR, well that's when things began to look a little bit brighter. It does make you sleepy, but its a great medicine, at least for me anyway. Hope this helps.

March 23, 2011 3:54 PM

Review by KoRnyguurl:

I had a "nervous breakdown" in November of 2009 and ended up in a psych hospital where I was promptly given Seroquel among other medicines. The Seroquel was amazing. I felt like someone switched the on button in my brain and I finally woke up. When I got out of the hospital and sought out a new psychiatrist for treatment, he took me off of the Seroquel because I am diabetic. After a year of unsuccessful treatment with other medicines, I begged to be put back on the Seroquel because the depression was unbearable, and I wasn't responding to other medicines. So he agreed and once again that switch has been flipped on and I feel "normal"! I am only on 300mg. I have to take it early because it knocks me out. In the morning I am very dizzy and have slurred speech.

February 3, 2011 2:22 PM

All I can say it that it is a miracle medicine. I finally have my life back. There are side effects but it is worth it. I am in college and doing well. My doctors said that would never happen for me. They said that I would be in and out of the psych ward. I have not need to be in hospital in over five years. I can finally hold a job. Like I said I have my life back, something I was told would never happen. Seroquel XR is that reason for that. Regular Seroquel is great too it just made me sleep for 18 hours a day. Seroquel XR makes me sleepy but I no longer over sleep. Again I say I got my life back.

December 12, 2010 1:09 AM

Review by Kim P:

Just started Seroquel XR and it gave me a great good nights sleep. Woke up feeling a little groggy but went back to bed after an hour awake. So far the depression and anxiety are gone. That's good because yesterday my anxiety was really bad. Tried Geodon and hated it. Really made me sleepy 24-7. So far so good as far as the first day goes. I'm praying that this is the medication that works for me.

November 16, 2010 2:37 PM

Review by cullen.smith:

After much trial an error with other medications I am pleased to find that Seroquel XR really helps. I take 500 mg per day. Started at 200 but worked my way up until I felt better. Wish I had discovered this years ago.

September 27, 2010 2:03 PM

I only took this 1 evening, it put me to sleep. This was one of the strongest medicines I've taken. I was put on 50 mg. I felt horrible the next day, couldn't concentrate to read, felt more depressed, had to go back to bed in the morning and felt horrible the whole day. Luckily my Doctor said I could quit it.

September 25, 2010 7:02 AM

Review by graciesmom43006:

I have been taking Seroguel XR for less then a year. It seems to work better for me. I take 150mg in the morning then 400mg at night. This helps me very much.

July 7, 2010 12:42 PM

I feel like this medication has saved my life. At the beginning of 2010, I had a mental breakdown. I was suffering from crying spells for no apparent reason and just did not want to live. I felt like I was watching someone go through the motions of my life and my true self was suffering and hurting. I made an emercency appointment with my psychiatrist. He started me at 50mg on day one, 100mg on day two, 150mg day three, 200mg day four and 300mg as maintenance. I used to have passive suicidal thoughts all the time and can now say that I don't. I've suffered from this condition for 12 years (Depersonalization Disorder). I've not known what it is like to not have depression until now. I feel like I owe my life to Seroquel XR.

June 29, 2010 7:52 PM

Seroquel XR stabilized my Bipolar within a week. I felt no emotion at all, high or low. But I was a zombie, sleeping 18 or more hours a day on 300mg. I switched to 200mg and could function well after 8 hours sleep with only a 1 hour or so "hang over", but my job requires me to be on 24 hour call and I got called only 2 hours after taking my medication. All I could do was drool on the telephone. I'm trying Geodon now.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2010 4:38 AM

At 41, I simply couldn't take the depression, the mania, the ADD or the severe anxiety attacks anymore. I finally went to the doctor and she put me on Seroquel XR starting at 50mg for 4 days, then 100mg for 4 days and now the maintenance dosage of 150mgs. It has honestly changed my life and saved my marriage. My brain seems to function normally now. My nearly constant suicide thoughts are gone and I can concentrate on tasks for more than 15 seconds at a time. I would rather have a healthy appetite than feeling nauseous so that side effect only boosts my moods. The only thing I don't like is my dreams are VIVID but not in a nightmare sort of way. I've begun dreaming in color which is also new. I can certainly live with that...

May 3, 2010 2:59 PM