User Reviews for Seroquel XR

Learn more about Seroquel XR.

Seroquel XR Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel XR to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

"I was on citolopram (celexa), lithium 1250 mg daily and olanzapine 20 mg and a lot of benzos. A state run mental health clinic opened in a local town so I stopped seeing the private psychiatrist and started to attend the public clinic. The psychiatrist was revolutionary. She immediately stopped the anti-depressant because it was elevating mood into mania. She dropped lithium to one dose at night to aid kidney wear and tear. She stopped olanzapine because I was still having mild persistent psychosis and put me on 800mg of quetiapine (seroquel). The first week was tough I was very nauseous and sleepy but once my body adjusted it was much better. The mix of quetiapine and lithium is really working for me."

mrsnowe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016

"I use Seroquel XR in addition to Tegretol XR and Geodon. It is sort of the adjunct to these primary medications. But it does it's job at keeping me stable when the base medication mix falls short."

Quitosenko (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 20, 2015

"I have been taking seroquel for a little over a year and a half now and it has been the best thing for me. I started off at 350mg when my mania was insanely uncontrollable. But after 2 months I was able to go down to 250 and ever since its been perfect because I don't fight the drowsiness in the mornings and get a great nights rest. I did gain weight, only 20 pounds, but I have always been extremely athletic (2 sport collegiate athlete) and it didn't really affect me at all. Just as long as it keeps the manic/depressive episodes on lock down I think I can handle a curvier body. I seriously reccommend this if you can handle a little weight gain!"

Ann2002 October 8, 2015

"Took Seroquel XR for about 2 months, experienced help with sleep issues for about a week before that wore off. Gained at least 20 lbs in this time frame, due to increased appetite and general weight gain due to the drug. Never really seemed to help my bipolar disorder- the other medicines I take do that."

kingofredlions (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

"This medicine works great but the side effects was just to much. Gained 83 pounds in 9 months of being on it."

TyTy3643 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2015

"This medication completely changed my life. My diagnosis is mixed rapid-cycling bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Before my regimine, I would suffer a week of depression, followed by a day of dangerous mixed affective episode, followed by a few hours of euphoria before the process wouls begin all over again. I had ruminating, and intrusive thoughts; panic atacks; anxiety; extreme guilt; dissociation and suicidal ideation (and a few near-attempts.) But, within weeks of the therapeutic dose my mood stabilized; my anxiety dropped off; my obsessive and intrusive ruminations relinquished their hold; and, unexpectedly, I gained a spectrum of emotions I didn't even know I lacked (and that was the best thing of all.) Truly life-altering"

Srztanjur (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2015

"I went from talking 120mgs of Cymbalta to taking 150 mgs of Seroquel XR just over one year ago. I fortunately did not suffer from any if the initial side effects that I've now researched & have learned are really common when starting this medication. However, 1 month ago, I'm not sure why but I ended up missing 2 nightly doses. What I experienced was nothing short of being in hell, literally. I physically was incapable of movement, getting up to simply get to the restroom was near impossible, every muscle in my body was weak & near useless. I couldn't do anything but remain in a fetal position curled up on my side for the duration of over 12 hours. My head was cloudy, confused & unable to process any thought. After this experience, I want off"

MarkyBy June 21, 2015

"Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

"At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

"I was recently diagnosed with bipolar and began taking 25-50mgs a night to aid insomnia because at the time I felt relatively well. I appear to be one of the few to embrace the side effect of increased appetite, when I'm manic, depressed or even the slightest bit anxious my appetite disappears. I can go weeks without feeling the need to eat and I love eating! I used to smoke alot of pot to help with my appetite and racing thoughts. I'm now taking 150mg XR at night as I'm currently having a mixed episode. It helps quieten my mind and slows me down a little but I don't feel in any way zombified, at night soon after taking I get sleepy but that's about it!"

Eeyore85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

"Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years. "

mnj34113 November 9, 2014

"Seroquel XR has changed my life! I tried regular Seroquel and it's like having your head in a bucket. The XL version feels like a completely different medicine. I take 100 mg at night. I wake up refreshed, happy, eager to start my day, I also take Lamictal 300 mg in the morning. No side effects from either medicine. I have been on both for about 7 years. I have been depressed once in that time and it was situational."

royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 21, 2014

"Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight"

Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2014

"I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues."

Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2014

"Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps."

The Neon Scibble March 15, 2014

"Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2013

"I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right."

happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2013

"It worked well, my moods were more stable. The only downfall was that I gained 20 pounds. As a bulimic and anorexic this terrified me. I ended up going off of it to lose the weight."

nikkkiii (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2013

"I take this medication for Bipolar II and it has been amazing at stabilizing my moods. I no longer feel filled with rage and irritability and no longer have issues with impulsive thoughts. The big problem that I am having with this medication is horrendous weight gain. I exercise at least three times a week and eat well, yet I have gained 20kg (44.09 pounds) in the 8 months that I have been on this medicine. Another issue I have is vivid dreams. But I think this is just a sign of getting deep and sound sleep - something I could never achieve prior to taking this medicine. It is amazing but a nightmare all rolled into one."

maybeimadreamer May 9, 2013

"I was diagnosed with bipolar II about 5 yrs ago and I've tried everything on the market nothing worked for me except Seroquel. Right now I take 300 mg twice per day and I'm so stable. I'm loving it problem though with Seroquel is that its a major weight gainer. I would stop taking it on and off when I felt better but then would use other meds to bandage my symptoms...get back on then off again...until one day I decided to stop with the denial and allow someone to help me for real. I've been on it now faithfully for 9 months...but I've put on 60lbs! It makes me eat after hours in the middle of the night. I'm depressed because of the weight gain. So I workout at home at times trying to be more consistent. You have to work this medicine."

NattyBoo (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 8, 2013

"I was one of the unlucky ones who's prolactin levels skyrocketed. I was only on 100mg, with a plan to ramp my way up to 500 over the course of 10 weeks, which was obviously vetoed when my chest started swelling quite noticeably. Lactation isn't worth what's essentially only a sleeping pill at <500mg doses."

Ori (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2013

"Completely non functional, just not for me, I cut the 25 mg ones into Quarters, ONLY if I'm a little too hyper before I go to sleep."

Whimpy23 January 9, 2013

"I've been in and out of mental health clinics for a long time..just trying to find something to slow my racing thoughts and make me feel like life is bearable. I've taken benzodiazepines..only to become drug seeking and take too many and need early refils, thereby being forced by prescriber to wean off. Done SSRI's with no effect whatsoever. Remeron made me gain 40 pounds in like 2 months time and didn't help me sleep. Marijuana made me paranoid. I just started some new therapy and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and post traumatic stress disorder. She gave me Seroquel XR and my mind is calm and I sleep good on it. I'm still on a pretty low dose..going up to 100mg tonight and then 150mg on 2 days. Just hope I don't gain weight but so far I feel productive and my mind is quiet."

lynnpl (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2012