User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 104 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 493 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by Charlieaffective (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: No problems, watch what you eat.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 9:13 PM

Review by MissGil (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed my life. I can hardly recognize myself. Much much calmer, not feeling obsessed, maniac or depressed. No racing thoughts. I never thought I could be like that. My life was a chaos. I've tried all different medicines and nothing seemed to help until I tried quetiapine. I am currently taking an antidepressant as well, but it is quetiapine that really makes the difference. I feel like I am fairly normal now.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine turned me into a zombified eating machine. I put on 30 pounds in one month. It was also extremely sedating.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Scooooter89 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I was on this medicine for almost three years and went off of it cold turkey because I thought I was better. Worst mistake of my life in 2013! A month or so ago I was put back on the medicine, just not quite as a high of a dose (800mg). I am now on 300mg and it has once again changed my life. I am happy again, feel like me, don't crave alcohol or other pills, and the mood swings have pretty much dissipated. This medicine is amazing and a life saver.

September 27, 2014 6:31 PM

Review by intent2dement (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed 50mg of Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep. It works wonders for that, it didn't help much with my anxiety. I also take 1,000mg of Depakote per day and 20mg of Dexedrine ER for ADHD. The Depakote is no longer effective enough and my doctor is thinking about switching me to Lithium.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by 0rdinarymadness:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel helped my paranoia and really kept me mentally stable, but I also was tired all the time, sometimes sleeping for 15 hours a day. I also gained 30 pounds within three months of being on Seroquel. I wouldn't recommend this medicine for anyone who does not wish to rapidly gain weight.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by AnonAnonAnon:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Somewhat hit or miss on mania, racing thoughts and the like. Pretty effective as a sleep aid though. Currently taking 300mg as needed as it was mainly prescribed for sleep. It is as effective as benzodiazepines in that regard, without the benzo withdrawal. It does leave me feeling gritty and nasty the next morning though, but it's better than insomnia.

September 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Natalie alyshea (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I take 3 ,25mg of quetiapine fumarate at night before bed for insomnia. It works very well. I sleep well on it without waking through the night. I have found out that I've had to cut out citrus as it interferes with my meds stops them from working but apart from that its great. And I found when taking it I have to drink alot of water when taking them and have to eat something after them to help them kick in quicker.

September 15, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by Rosiejay (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Make me very tired during the day. But if I don't take them stay awake all night.

September 12, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by tyfereth:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Been on quetiapine for a couple of years now and this medicine changed my life. I am a better person now and this medicine helped a lot with that. No crisis, no anxiety, no craving for alcohol or other medicines. Sometimes I think I could be more emotional but it's a price I had to pay for having peace in my head. Totally recommend. I take only 50mg per day and it's enough to keep me stable.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 1:51 PM

Review by dashyingon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Removed my mania symptoms and I've never felt like I'm going back to the highs. Helped with depression but this is along side vigorous exercise. Take it at night 250mg and I sleep all night. Unfortunately the biggest side effect I have is extreme tiredness the next morning and it can last a few hours. It feels like a minor hangover each day.

August 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by badboy 4:

For Depression: Was on it a month did not sleep and moods were all over the place.

August 25, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by chickenpork (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I take 3x 75mg throughout the day. I feel sedated on it sometimes but I can function. I have no anxiety and depression episodes never get below a point. My mood is way more stable and I don't ever get the huge downers but occasionally still get the big highs. Usually I am just feeling content which is where I want to be. It has saved my life and I can now hold down a job and get back to Uni.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by prairie dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: 25mg for insomnia. I always used to fall asleep and have a sound sleep until 3 am. Comes 3 am. I used to wake up and stay awake until 5 or 6 am. This compromised my day. My experience is to take Seroquel before 1 am. I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. If I wake up, I am sure to fall asleep right away. On the flip side, I believe I became addicted to Seroquel to the point that if I even miss one night I don't sleep well. Oh well it's a tradeoff I guess.

August 20, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by spazpen:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have only recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder but I have suffered it's effects my whole life. More recently I had an episode where it was necessary to be admitted to hospital extreme agitation/hyperactivity and suicidal and self harm thoughts. I was started on 12.5mg three times a day in hospital but on discharge was advised that I could take up to 25mg three times a day as I felt necessary. So far I've only needed 12.5mg two times a day, occasionally with an extra dose at night or a stronger dose in the morning for bad days. I've found the groggy feelings wore off after a couple weeks and I'm so balanced now. Seroquel has changed my life.

August 19, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by michellemari (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I had severe depression and could not sleep at all. My husband can testify that I could be awake for 4 days in a row. I had anxiety attacks. I was on Cymbalta, Lamotrigine and Molipaxin. But the depression stayed and my sleep did not improve at all. I was hospitalized 3 times in less than 3 years. The last time I was gradually put on bigger doses of Serequel - up to 400g. The last 2 days I slept through the whole night - deep sleep! I have been on it for more than 5 years. I drink it at night -about an hour before I want to sleep. I have slept every night. My mood has been stable all these years - no depression , anxiety attacks or weight gain. I do have difficulty getting "fully awake " in the morning. But I would rather have this "side effect".

August 5, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by Barb E (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It helps me feel calm and be able to sleep. I have a tendency to stay up too late at night and when I do my legs get restless and I have to go to bed and I sleep well. I have occasional abnormal dreams and a small problem emptying my bladder completely. All in all though it is improving my life. I also take Strattera and Lamotrigine.

August 1, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by costly (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been on 25 mg of Seroquel and .5 mg Klonopin for 11 years for chronic insomnia. This combination has been wonderful, and I haven't noticed any side effects. However, my insurance will not cover the cost.

July 29, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by Gome:

For Bipolar Disorder: This has been a horrible experience. I have gained too much weight I am more depressed then ever. This medicine says it is prescribed for me for sleep. First few nights absolutely true. Now all I get is restless legs, intense food cravings and it is physically hard to get up. Terrible constipation. Which leads to feeling extremely bloated. No drive or motivation whatsoever. My doctor thinks I should stay on this poison. I am going on a vacation in a couple months, this 40lb weight gain is really stressing me out. I will see if she will prescribe Adderall which I used before quit cold turkey and felt no withdrawals. The only reason I give it a 2 is that it has helped insomnia

July 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Darcyb:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been taking quetiapine 25mg day and night for about a month now. I find it is great for taking away anxiety, but I am so so tired could sleep the clock round. I'm also on 20 mg Cipralex for depression. I have no energy to do anything.

July 16, 2014 1:38 PM

Review by sln75 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel has been a life saver for me. I am bipolar and have Tourette syndrome. I was first introduced to this medication 2 years ago after a suicide attempt landed me in the hospital. Since being on this medication my Tourette's is manageable and I have not been in the hospital since. I am stable as long as I am compliant. I have experienced weight gain but I have reevaluated my diet and started an exercise program in which I am down to my goal weight and keeping it there. All in all I am blessed to have found this medication.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by Hacksaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I'm 31. I've been diagnosed with depression several times. Gradually, as I got older, I was having more and more trouble falling asleep. Eventually I would be awake all night and then fall asleep some time in the afternoon or maybe the next next evening. It was a very bad situation for me. Eventually I got on 50 mg of Seroquel and and now I sleep well every night for about nine months or so. I have very little side effects from Seroquel; I get restless legs and it makes me a little irritable about a half hour before I get drowsy. I lost like 25 pounds once I started sleeping again.

July 7, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by LZ Bronco (taken for 10 years or more):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Vietnam, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) went FUBAR 15 years ago. That's the first time I contacted the VA or even heard of PTSD. One severe symptom was inability to sleep. VA was very slow to give me an appointment so I went to a private shrink who got me on Seroquel. VA has kept me on it since. Taking this, I have been able to get a good night's sleep every night since. Since then and to this date, if I forget to take it, I either can't fall asleep at all or doze off for about 45 min, then wake up wide awake, and can't get back to sleep . The FDA hasn't approved this for PTSD sleep disorders, but should do so immediately. I've had no side effects whatsoever, unlike many other medicines I've been on/off for PTSD.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate