User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Paranoid Disorder 6 reviews 2 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 557 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by jesse78 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am a 36 year mother of one who has been married for 21 years to a wonderful man who endured years of my manic episodes, anger problems, hateful behavior. I knew that certain mental illnesses ran in my family, and they all started in the late twenties to early thirties. I ignored my symptoms for a long time, and doctors tried other medications. Mostly I would just try to get through the day without screaming at people. I was self- destructive and it was ruining my marriage. My new doctor put me on this medicine at 200 mg a day and it has changed my life. I feel like my old self, none of those terrible highs and lows. I am depressed/ bi-polar. I'm so thankful for this medication, and so is my husband and daughter!

April 19, 2015 6:55 PM

Review by kimg727 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have suffered with insomnia since I was a child. Cymbalta worsened my condition to the point of lethargy and my PCP prescribed quetiapine (50mg 1x first two days and then 100mg 1x per day thereafter) after all other sleep aides failed. The first day on 50mg, it look about 1.5 hours to kick in, I slept for 4 hours, awoke to crazy vivid dreams and insanely sweet food cravings (caramel, maple syrup), went back to bed, fell asleep and woke up feeling like a truck hit me. Second day, same cravings and vivid dreams but slept better. After about six months the sweet cravings went away but I gained 20 lbs. I've been on quetiapine for over a year and I cannot sleep without it. For the first time in my life, I sleep a solid 7-8 hours per night.

April 18, 2015 9:38 PM

Review by LeoM86:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medicine has been a life saver for my anxiety and depression. By the second day I felt the difference. I have taken a great number of other medications and they didn't help as much as Seroquel or didn't make any difference besides making me more anxious. Now I feel calm (something I've never really experienced ever) and more clear minded. I take the pill at night and I sleep like a baby. I am truly thankful for this. It has given me my life back. I would give it a 10 but the only the con I have is the fatigue I experience in the morning but a cup of coffee takes care of that. Overall, if you are crippled by this horrifying illness, you may consider giving Seroquel a chance.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 10:52 AM

Review by Rest In Pieces (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: I lost touch with reality for quite a while. I mainly use this as a sleep aid, but I am a paranoid schizophrenic. As far as symptoms of my schizophrenia, it helps. However, whenever it's about time to take my dose I notice my condition worsening a lot. If I take it late, I am loopy and a bit delusion, but I hold a steady job that requires us to work late some days. Also, if I am just having an overall bad day, it seems to not help my symptoms at all. I am pretty sure I would be a lot worse without this medication. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I got a card from the doctor making my prescription only cost around 17 bucks. If I didn't have that card, it would be about 80 bucks with my work insurance. 400 or something with none.

April 15, 2015 8:23 PM

Review by turnc8 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: This medication works fairly well for insomnia and hallucinations. If you are experiencing night terrors or nightmares since taking this medication, I would suggest supplementing with Glycine on top of it. I take about 3000mgs of Glycine 2 to 3 times a day. Works well.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 1:33 PM

Review by Sleeping In:

For Insomnia: For me, this is the best hypnotic of all that I have tried to date, which includes quetiapine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline, trazodone, zaleplon and doxylamine succinate. All of these meds have their pros and cons but quetiapine gives me the most sleep overall and it's a such a cheap costing med as well. I typically only need to take 12.5 mgs for a good night's sleep. Now, this med may not be for everyone, as it a an anti-psychotic, and it does have the potential to cause some pretty severe side effects. Proceed with caution.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 10:14 PM

Review by Insomniac1:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : When I first started taking seroquel for insomnia, it literally knocked me out. I had been taking Amitriptyline for ~ 5 months and it's sedative effects weren't working that great anymore. The difference between to 2 medications is night and day. Amitriptyline mellows mellowed me out/relaxed my mind to the point that I could fall asleep. Seroquel would knock me out to cold for 7 hours. I would wake up in the same position I had fallen asleep in. Once I adjusted to the medicine the effects weren't as severe. It's still a great medicine for insomnia as it always works.

April 12, 2015 9:51 PM

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Has a calming effect helps sleep

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 10:08 AM

Review by Mariam Karim:

For Insomnia: This medication has changed the life of my 15 years old with Autism. My son suffered from years of screaming the whole night. He takes 25 mg along with 2 mg clonozepam at bed time and this worked miracle to us.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2015 2:39 PM

Review by Inzomniac1986038:

For Insomnia: In my opinion, mirtazapine makes me fall asleep quicker, but quetiapine makes me sleep for more hours straight on end. Overall I think 25/50 mg Seroquel/quetiapine IR is the best sleepaid out there. Even after months or years of continous use, it doesnt loose its strength and is still nowhere near as addictive as benzodiazepines or barbitrates, while still being sedative.

April 2, 2015 12:16 PM

Review by Long time user (taken for 10 years or more):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Been on Seroquel for 10 years along with Celexa. Its a life saver! Anxiety and depression is managable. I feel normal. The only issue is the weight battle. But I would rather be overweight than thin and depressed or worse.

March 29, 2015 7:47 PM

Review by Tlg v:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for 2 years. It really is a miracle. It has helped with my mood swings and problems sleeping. The only issue has been the weight gain. I've probably put on 35 lbs and I've never had problem with weight gain. The benefits of this medication make up for the weight gain.

March 28, 2015 6:33 PM

Review by Lovonne:

For Depression: Helped with anxiety but made my depression worst

March 16, 2015 4:16 PM

Review by nicsnice33:

For Insomnia: Started this about 3 days now and finally I can get SOME sleep. Have tried them all but were unsuccessful in knocking me out. Started at 25mg which didn't even affect me, no sleep then jumped to 100mg and got a good 4-5 hours sleep but still waking up early morning unable to fall back to sleep. Upped to 150mg same thing maybe a little deeper sleep. Going to take 200mg tonight but will continue the increase until I can sleep soundly the WHOLE night. Great medication IMO

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 12, 2015 3:38 PM

Review by Tweety05 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have really bad insomnia which is triggered by my depression & anxiety. My shrink gave me this medicine & I sleep like a baby. The thing is I started having these dreams & they feel so real. But I thought this was only me until I started reading other reviews. I have to have at least 8hrs to sleep or then I'm rather groggy. I'm happy for the sleep because I was up for 36 hrs at a time.

March 4, 2015 1:42 AM

Review by calebcass1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: Works great for me

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2015 11:09 PM

Review by hotmama1987 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Seroquel for 10 years and before I started this medication I was self destructive to myself, very bad episodes going up and down manic episides and I couldnt sleep without myself thinking about everything and worrying all the time but now since I've been on it. I feel very much better. I feel like myself now and happier now and have a better relationship with my mother and 2 beautiful boys of mine! And now I'm also getting help for my addiction! Thank you Seroquel for a better life!

March 1, 2015 9:28 AM

Review by Wooly Hollie:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Managed to stabilise my mood swings on only 100mg daily, helped greatly with sleep however, did leave me feeling drowsy during the day

March 1, 2015 2:35 AM

Review by MrAtlantis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I truly think this medication may have saved my life. I'm 24, and I knew I had some mental issues since I was a teen. Until now I never took them seriously, but looking back.. I'm so glad I was diagnosed and treated with this medication. I suffered for so many years with little sleep, alcoholism, panick attacks, mood swings, ludacris spending... you name it. Seroquel allows me to be the person I want to be. It slows me down and allows me to act more rationally and sleep properly. I'm so thankful this medication exists, I never want to live a day without it.

March 1, 2015 12:56 AM

Review by Can't find name not in use (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have only just begun a week ago 25mg to start. So far the worst of my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms: panic upon waking, has subsided. Increasing dose tomorrow as still anxious through the day.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2015 10:12 PM

Review by cdfig83:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: Seroquel XR worked very well for me with a combination of Seroquel and Zoloft together. I've been well for over 3 years now. Usually I would fall in to a depression with in a year just taking an antidepressent Because my body would build a tolerance to the medications. I know this medicine isn't for everyone, but I've had a very good experience and I'm stable and happy.

February 20, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by retired early:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Been on Seroquel XR for 8 years. Can't believe I wasn't on this medicine when I was working , maybe I would not of been alcoholic for 40 years.

February 18, 2015 3:54 PM

Review by Ashli J:

For Insomnia: I like Seroquel for sleep better than ANYTHING I've tried ( Trazodone, Ambien, Restoril, Melatonin, Ativan, Benadryl, and Hydroxzine). Its the best out there... Except for the ultra vivid dreams!

February 6, 2015 3:46 AM

Review by dmhobbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: On the nights when I forget to take my 100mg of Quetipine I wake up in the middle of the night at 3am or 4am and am unable to go back to sleep and end up staring blankly at my computer screen. Most every night I take it and even if a trip or two to the bathroom is necessary, I can fall back asleep in minutes. However, this medication is very strong even at the 100mg level and I often have to hug the walls and furniture to safely walk to the bathroom. I'm sure others that take this medication have a loss of control of balance. I only take this medication about 1/2 an hour before bedtime or I find that suddenly I can't find the keys on the keyboard anymore and am EXTREMELY SEDATED. I get a solid 7 hours of sleep most nights.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 10:09 AM

Review by Lorz18:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I started taking 25mg and now on 150mg nightly with the option of going up to 300mg if needed. Although I have not been on it long enough to make comment on weight gain it has been fantastic for my mind and mood. I get a good nights sleep and although I can still be a bit groggy in the morning this passes during the day. Best tablet for me in a long time.

February 4, 2015 8:52 AM