User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

6.6
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 582 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Quetiapine

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : "good for insomnia most of the time"

y knot May 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "3 months 200 mg at night. This medicine has helped me be in control of my thoughts. Before starting Quetiapine, I was struggling a lot with depression, and on the flip side racing thoughts and overactivity. Had a failed and bad experience with SSRI-antidepressants. + Helps limit your brain activity to normal parameters. + Makes you sleep sound + Let´s you concentrate on what you want. - Weight gain - Hangover tiredness the next day. - Subtle antidepressant effect. It is more a mood stabiliser in my experience. All in all it does the job, and it can be invaluable when looking back at one´s life."

Mike26yo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Seroquel is awesome. 300mg kicked my butt. It took a year to drop down to 100mg. No matter the dosage, I don't snap out of it until mid day. Best sleep ever. Gained a lot of weight. My worst side effect is tight muscles, in legs more than anywhere."

What's normal (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "So I started on this two weeks ago may need to go a bit stronger as over time when I was younger just tried to mellow out on illegal drugs. Seraquil is the best thing I have tried I am 32 and just been diagnosed with bipolar. Doesn't make me sleepy makes me hungry a lil bit. But has changed my life stopped the agitation and horrible thoughts that run riot in my head. Just slows it done and I am able to see clearly. I am only on a mild dose but in saying this I'm glad I take one when I can feel my mania coming on."

Halz May 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "I do feel that I have a better sleep with 100mg of seroquel XR. I have, however, had adverse effects with the quick release (Non XR) with this medication I have nightmares, vivid dreams and poor sleep."

sleepless in Victoria (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "I am bipolar and suffer from severe insomnia. I take 400 MG of Seroquel XR in the early evening, and 100 MG of regular Seroquel at bedtime. It works pretty well, and I am not overly tired the next morning. It did cause vivid dreams and nightmares, but I take 5 MG of Prazosin at bedtime for the dreams, and it definitely helps."

Most helpful medicine so far. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

For Insomnia: "I'm 20 and I've delt with my insomnia my whole life but it started getting really bad when I was in 5th grade. I've gone to every doctor you can think of and the ONLY thing that has ever helped me is quetiapine. I sleep 6 or more hours a night and usually fall asleep within an hour of taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

For Intermittent Explosive Disorder: "Seroquel stopped my explosive disorder like a light switch being turned off. Excellent medicine"

Danik April 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I take seroquel and have taken higher doses when I was heavier at 300 lbs I was taking 900mg and my new doc cannot believe my psychiatrist was prescribing me that high of a dose just to help me sleep. Once I had weight loss surgery I could only handle about 150mg I am up to 300mg. The thing I like best about seroquel is it will knock you out and you will get good sleep. Now occasionally I have taken one and a half pills if I want to fall asleep quicker but you really have to be careful with this drug because many things can happen. The side effects I've experienced mainly is trouble swallowing which scares me to death when I'm trying to sleep and I'm panicking & my heartbeats racing yet I can't swallow. So be very careful with dosages."

headdy20 April 27, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "While this medication hasn't solved everything, 50mg of every night it has helped me get some of my life back. My anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat or work. This has really helped with the more "mental" symptoms of anxiety whereas other medications mostly just helped with the physical (sweaty palms, tremors, chills). It also has helped me sleep tremendously, though I do have some trouble getting up in the morning. No other side effects."

sjm1986 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Helped me sleep, when even benzos and ambien didn't. Also helps with my lack of appetite. I did gain 45lbs the first few months, but eventually I lost the weight. I actually liked the weight gain, I've been underweight my whole life. As far as anxiety, I'd say it helps me relax but doesn't slow my mind down like the Xanax I used to take. Still, mildly effective for anxiety. Download card from website, 30 day supply w no insurance will cost $11, without card, $77. Big difference."

Z Box (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am a 36 year mother of one who has been married for 21 years to a wonderful man who endured years of my manic episodes, anger problems, hateful behavior. I knew that certain mental illnesses ran in my family, and they all started in the late twenties to early thirties. I ignored my symptoms for a long time, and doctors tried other medications. Mostly I would just try to get through the day without screaming at people. I was self- destructive and it was ruining my marriage. My new doctor put me on this medicine at 200 mg a day and it has changed my life. I feel like my old self, none of those terrible highs and lows. I am depressed/ bi-polar. I'm so thankful for this medication, and so is my husband and daughter!"

jesse78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have suffered with insomnia since I was a child. Cymbalta worsened my condition to the point of lethargy and my PCP prescribed quetiapine (50mg 1x first two days and then 100mg 1x per day thereafter) after all other sleep aides failed. The first day on 50mg, it look about 1.5 hours to kick in, I slept for 4 hours, awoke to crazy vivid dreams and insanely sweet food cravings (caramel, maple syrup), went back to bed, fell asleep and woke up feeling like a truck hit me. Second day, same cravings and vivid dreams but slept better. After about six months the sweet cravings went away but I gained 20 lbs. I've been on quetiapine for over a year and I cannot sleep without it. For the first time in my life, I sleep a solid 7-8 hours per night."

kimg727 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medicine has been a life saver for my anxiety and depression. By the second day I felt the difference. I have taken a great number of other medications and they didn't help as much as Seroquel or didn't make any difference besides making me more anxious. Now I feel calm (something I've never really experienced ever) and more clear minded. I take the pill at night and I sleep like a baby. I am truly thankful for this. It has given me my life back. I would give it a 10 but the only the con I have is the fatigue I experience in the morning but a cup of coffee takes care of that. Overall, if you are crippled by this horrifying illness, you may consider giving Seroquel a chance."

LeoM86 April 18, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "I lost touch with reality for quite a while. I mainly use this as a sleep aid, but I am a paranoid schizophrenic. As far as symptoms of my schizophrenia, it helps. However, whenever it's about time to take my dose I notice my condition worsening a lot. If I take it late, I am loopy and a bit delusion, but I hold a steady job that requires us to work late some days. Also, if I am just having an overall bad day, it seems to not help my symptoms at all. I am pretty sure I would be a lot worse without this medication. My insurance doesn't cover it, but I got a card from the doctor making my prescription only cost around 17 bucks. If I didn't have that card, it would be about 80 bucks with my work insurance. 400 or something with none."

Rest In Pieces (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2015

For Insomnia: "This medication works fairly well for insomnia and hallucinations. If you are experiencing night terrors or nightmares since taking this medication, I would suggest supplementing with Glycine on top of it. I take about 3000mgs of Glycine 2 to 3 times a day. Works well."

turnc8 (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2015

For Insomnia: "For me, this is the best hypnotic of all that I have tried to date, which includes quetiapine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline, trazodone, zaleplon and doxylamine succinate. All of these meds have their pros and cons but quetiapine gives me the most sleep overall and it's a such a cheap costing med as well. I typically only need to take 12.5 mgs for a good night's sleep. Now, this med may not be for everyone, as it a an anti-psychotic, and it does have the potential to cause some pretty severe side effects. Proceed with caution."

Sleeping In April 12, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : "When I first started taking seroquel for insomnia, it literally knocked me out. I had been taking Amitriptyline for ~ 5 months and it's sedative effects weren't working that great anymore. The difference between to 2 medications is night and day. Amitriptyline mellows mellowed me out/relaxed my mind to the point that I could fall asleep. Seroquel would knock me out to cold for 7 hours. I would wake up in the same position I had fallen asleep in. Once I adjusted to the medicine the effects weren't as severe. It's still a great medicine for insomnia as it always works."

Insomniac1 April 12, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Has a calming effect helps sleep"

Anonymous April 9, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I can honestly say this medication saved my life. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II when I was 16 and was in a very dark place that I didn't think I would ever be able to come out of. After a couple months of taking Quetiapine I noticed a dramatic change in my moods - I was a good 85% more stable than I had been in the previous 3-4 years and it also majorly helped my insomnia. Although after being on the medication for a year I did have to re-adjust my dose and put it higher, it's still working amazingly. Obviously it's not a cure, I still have some bad days! But I can move on from them within 24 hours without feeling like my world is falling apart. I'm 18 nearly 19 now and this is the happiest I've been in years."

Sophb101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

For Insomnia: "This medication has changed the life of my 15 years old with Autism. My son suffered from years of screaming the whole night. He takes 25 mg along with 2 mg clonozepam at bed time and this worked miracle to us."

Mariam Karim April 4, 2015

For Insomnia: "In my opinion, mirtazapine makes me fall asleep quicker, but quetiapine makes me sleep for more hours straight on end. Overall I think 25/50 mg Seroquel/quetiapine IR is the best sleepaid out there. Even after months or years of continous use, it doesnt loose its strength and is still nowhere near as addictive as benzodiazepines or barbitrates, while still being sedative."

Inzomniac1986038 April 2, 2015