User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 103 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 482 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by Rosiejay (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Make me very tired during the day. But if I don't take them stay awake all night.

September 12, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by tyfereth:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Been on quetiapine for a couple of years now and this medicine changed my life. I am a better person now and this medicine helped a lot with that. No crisis, no anxiety, no craving for alcohol or other medicines. Sometimes I think I could be more emotional but it's a price I had to pay for having peace in my head. Totally recommend. I take only 50mg per day and it's enough to keep me stable.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 1:51 PM

Review by dashyingon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Removed my mania symptoms and I've never felt like I'm going back to the highs. Helped with depression but this is along side vigorous exercise. Take it at night 250mg and I sleep all night. Unfortunately the biggest side effect I have is extreme tiredness the next morning and it can last a few hours. It feels like a minor hangover each day.

August 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by badboy 4:

For Depression: Was on it a month did not sleep and moods were all over the place.

August 25, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by chickenpork (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I take 3x 75mg throughout the day. I feel sedated on it sometimes but I can function. I have no anxiety and depression episodes never get below a point. My mood is way more stable and I don't ever get the huge downers but occasionally still get the big highs. Usually I am just feeling content which is where I want to be. It has saved my life and I can now hold down a job and get back to Uni.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by prairie dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: 25mg for insomnia. I always used to fall asleep and have a sound sleep until 3 am. Comes 3 am. I used to wake up and stay awake until 5 or 6 am. This compromised my day. My experience is to take Seroquel before 1 am. I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. If I wake up, I am sure to fall asleep right away. On the flip side, I believe I became addicted to Seroquel to the point that if I even miss one night I don't sleep well. Oh well it's a tradeoff I guess.

August 20, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by spazpen:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have only recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder but I have suffered it's effects my whole life. More recently I had an episode where it was necessary to be admitted to hospital extreme agitation/hyperactivity and suicidal and self harm thoughts. I was started on 12.5mg three times a day in hospital but on discharge was advised that I could take up to 25mg three times a day as I felt necessary. So far I've only needed 12.5mg two times a day, occasionally with an extra dose at night or a stronger dose in the morning for bad days. I've found the groggy feelings wore off after a couple weeks and I'm so balanced now. Seroquel has changed my life.

August 19, 2014 8:40 PM

Review by michellemari (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I had severe depression and could not sleep at all. My husband can testify that I could be awake for 4 days in a row. I had anxiety attacks. I was on Cymbalta, Lamotrigine and Molipaxin. But the depression stayed and my sleep did not improve at all. I was hospitalized 3 times in less than 3 years. The last time I was gradually put on bigger doses of Serequel - up to 400g. The last 2 days I slept through the whole night - deep sleep! I have been on it for more than 5 years. I drink it at night -about an hour before I want to sleep. I have slept every night. My mood has been stable all these years - no depression , anxiety attacks or weight gain. I do have difficulty getting "fully awake " in the morning. But I would rather have this "side effect".

August 5, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by Barb E (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It helps me feel calm and be able to sleep. I have a tendency to stay up too late at night and when I do my legs get restless and I have to go to bed and I sleep well. I have occasional abnormal dreams and a small problem emptying my bladder completely. All in all though it is improving my life. I also take Strattera and Lamotrigine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by costly (taken for 10 years or more):

For Insomnia: I have been on 25 mg of Seroquel and .5 mg Klonopin for 11 years for chronic insomnia. This combination has been wonderful, and I haven't noticed any side effects. However, my insurance will not cover the cost.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by Gome:

For Bipolar Disorder: This has been a horrible experience. I have gained too much weight I am more depressed then ever. This medicine says it is prescribed for me for sleep. First few nights absolutely true. Now all I get is restless legs, intense food cravings and it is physically hard to get up. Terrible constipation. Which leads to feeling extremely bloated. No drive or motivation whatsoever. My doctor thinks I should stay on this poison. I am going on a vacation in a couple months, this 40lb weight gain is really stressing me out. I will see if she will prescribe Adderall which I used before quit cold turkey and felt no withdrawals. The only reason I give it a 2 is that it has helped insomnia

July 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by Darcyb:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been taking quetiapine 25mg day and night for about a month now. I find it is great for taking away anxiety, but I am so so tired could sleep the clock round. I'm also on 20 mg Cipralex for depression. I have no energy to do anything.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 1:38 PM

Review by sln75 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel has been a life saver for me. I am bipolar and have Tourette syndrome. I was first introduced to this medication 2 years ago after a suicide attempt landed me in the hospital. Since being on this medication my Tourette's is manageable and I have not been in the hospital since. I am stable as long as I am compliant. I have experienced weight gain but I have reevaluated my diet and started an exercise program in which I am down to my goal weight and keeping it there. All in all I am blessed to have found this medication.

July 8, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by Hacksaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I'm 31. I've been diagnosed with depression several times. Gradually, as I got older, I was having more and more trouble falling asleep. Eventually I would be awake all night and then fall asleep some time in the afternoon or maybe the next next evening. It was a very bad situation for me. Eventually I got on 50 mg of Seroquel and and now I sleep well every night for about nine months or so. I have very little side effects from Seroquel; I get restless legs and it makes me a little irritable about a half hour before I get drowsy. I lost like 25 pounds once I started sleeping again.

July 7, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by LZ Bronco (taken for 10 years or more):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Vietnam, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) went FUBAR 15 years ago. That's the first time I contacted the VA or even heard of PTSD. One severe symptom was inability to sleep. VA was very slow to give me an appointment so I went to a private shrink who got me on Seroquel. VA has kept me on it since. Taking this, I have been able to get a good night's sleep every night since. Since then and to this date, if I forget to take it, I either can't fall asleep at all or doze off for about 45 min, then wake up wide awake, and can't get back to sleep . The FDA hasn't approved this for PTSD sleep disorders, but should do so immediately. I've had no side effects whatsoever, unlike many other medicines I've been on/off for PTSD.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by bill3746 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I take Seroquel when required for anxiety and it works! I used to take Klonopin (and have been through the cycle of benzodiazapines) and it caused significant memory problems, of which it makes me very angry. I don't have the memory problems with the Seroquel and it totally stomps out my anxiety. I take 25mg and it has worked great. The drawback to this medication is that it makes me hungry. I am trying to maintain a healthy weight (and lose some weight as well).

June 23, 2014 9:38 AM

Review by SGM:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I went to a psychiatrist last week for post traumatic stress disorder having been diagnosed by the VA when I retired. I was put on 50 mg quetiapine. While in two days my lifetime nail biting ceased and I feel less anxious I am tired as heck.

June 22, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by lipo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Feeling depressed, cried first thing I woke up.

June 18, 2014 8:11 PM

Review by JesusFreak1967:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel has worked wonderful for me so far! Levels out my ups and downs. No racing thoughts. Doesn't make me aggressive. Helps with my post traumatic stress disorder also!

June 16, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable.

June 14, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by Rip Van Winkle (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: Now I realize my experience is somewhat limited, but if my doctor had not prescribed it for me about four days ago, I might be typing from a rubber room. Because of certain very stressful life events, I began to experience insomnia about two months ago. For those two months, I was getting approximately 3 hours of fragmented sleep a night. I started taking 50 mgs of this medicine four nights ago, and I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night. This medicine broke the anxiety > insomnia > anxiety > insomnia cycle. Once you're in the circle of that cyclical hell, it's very difficult to break out of it.

June 13, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by eguzman8586 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: When first diagnosed another medication was prescribed. I then researched Seroquel. Being an insomniac I asked my PVC if I could try it. It made life so much easier. I began to control my agitation with others. I used to fly off the handle and what I call "my crazy" would come out. If looks could kill I would be guilty of numerous killings. I am able to be in situations that are less than desirable without offending anyone. It was a challenge being around others who were not as intelligent and immature whereas now I recognize how I should interact with them. My true personality is seen rather than the perception that followed me for the majority of my life.

June 11, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by MinnieMouse00 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking this medicine for a little over two years, but I recently stopped. It is a WONDERFUL medicine for doing what it's supposed to do: making you sleep and stopping your racing thoughts. I don't regret taking it, because I badly needed it at the time. However, this medicine has HORRIBLE side effects. For me, they outweigh the benefits. I developed an intestinal problem, high blood sugar, and gained over 30 pounds that I could not lose no matter what I tried. I also feel like my mind is slower, and I can no longer retain as much information. I would not recommend taking this medication long term. There are also other negative effects that I was lucky enough not to experience.

June 9, 2014 6:42 PM