User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"I do feel that I have a better sleep with 100mg of seroquel XR. I have, however, had adverse effects with the quick release (Non XR) with this medication I have nightmares, vivid dreams and poor sleep."

sleepless in Victoria (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I am bipolar and suffer from severe insomnia. I take 400 MG of Seroquel XR in the early evening, and 100 MG of regular Seroquel at bedtime. It works pretty well, and I am not overly tired the next morning. It did cause vivid dreams and nightmares, but I take 5 MG of Prazosin at bedtime for the dreams, and it definitely helps."

Most helpful medicine so far. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

"I'm 20 and I've delt with my insomnia my whole life but it started getting really bad when I was in 5th grade. I've gone to every doctor you can think of and the ONLY thing that has ever helped me is quetiapine. I sleep 6 or more hours a night and usually fall asleep within an hour of taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

"I have suffered with insomnia since I was a child. Cymbalta worsened my condition to the point of lethargy and my PCP prescribed quetiapine (50mg 1x first two days and then 100mg 1x per day thereafter) after all other sleep aides failed. The first day on 50mg, it look about 1.5 hours to kick in, I slept for 4 hours, awoke to crazy vivid dreams and insanely sweet food cravings (caramel, maple syrup), went back to bed, fell asleep and woke up feeling like a truck hit me. Second day, same cravings and vivid dreams but slept better. After about six months the sweet cravings went away but I gained 20 lbs. I've been on quetiapine for over a year and I cannot sleep without it. For the first time in my life, I sleep a solid 7-8 hours per night."

kimg727 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2015

"This medication works fairly well for insomnia and hallucinations. If you are experiencing night terrors or nightmares since taking this medication, I would suggest supplementing with Glycine on top of it. I take about 3000mgs of Glycine 2 to 3 times a day. Works well."

turnc8 (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2015

"For me, this is the best hypnotic of all that I have tried to date, which includes quetiapine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline, trazodone, zaleplon and doxylamine succinate. All of these meds have their pros and cons but quetiapine gives me the most sleep overall and it's a such a cheap costing med as well. I typically only need to take 12.5 mgs for a good night's sleep. Now, this med may not be for everyone, as it a an anti-psychotic, and it does have the potential to cause some pretty severe side effects. Proceed with caution."

Sleeping In April 12, 2015

"This medication has changed the life of my 15 years old with Autism. My son suffered from years of screaming the whole night. He takes 25 mg along with 2 mg clonozepam at bed time and this worked miracle to us."

Mariam Karim April 4, 2015

"In my opinion, mirtazapine makes me fall asleep quicker, but quetiapine makes me sleep for more hours straight on end. Overall I think 25/50 mg Seroquel/quetiapine IR is the best sleepaid out there. Even after months or years of continous use, it doesnt loose its strength and is still nowhere near as addictive as benzodiazepines or barbitrates, while still being sedative."

Inzomniac1986038 April 2, 2015

"love it. best sleep ever. i could go days without sleep with a mind wondering constantly. not now.. only side effect i have is munchies, but i have learned to eat a little when i take and go to bed within the hour. wish i had years ago.. miracle drug!!!"

lilbitcraze March 12, 2015

"Started this about 3 days now and finally I can get SOME sleep. Have tried them all but were unsuccessful in knocking me out. Started at 25mg which didn't even affect me, no sleep then jumped to 100mg and got a good 4-5 hours sleep but still waking up early morning unable to fall back to sleep. Upped to 150mg same thing maybe a little deeper sleep. Going to take 200mg tonight but will continue the increase until I can sleep soundly the WHOLE night. Great medication IMO"

nicsnice33 March 12, 2015

"The good - Was given 25mg for sleep issues. It sure definitely helps with sleep. Will knock ya out at 25mg. Ambien was not very effective and its very dangerous drug if you wake up while taking it, will never take Ambien again. The bad - I feel like I'm in a groggy haze for 4+ hours in the morning. Very sedated and slow thinking. Also seemed to cause intense dreams in the beginning. Don't think I will, or can continue on a daily basis. I have things to do during the day. Could be useful if you really need some good sleep and don't have much to do the next day."

agoraphob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2015

"I have really bad insomnia which is triggered by my depression & anxiety. My shrink gave me this medicine & I sleep like a baby. The thing is I started having these dreams & they feel so real. But I thought this was only me until I started reading other reviews. I have to have at least 8hrs to sleep or then I'm rather groggy. I'm happy for the sleep because I was up for 36 hrs at a time."

Tweety05 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

"I like Seroquel for sleep better than ANYTHING I've tried ( Trazodone, Ambien, Restoril, Melatonin, Ativan, Benadryl, and Hydroxzine). Its the best out there... Except for the ultra vivid dreams!"

Ashli J February 6, 2015

"On the nights when I forget to take my 100mg of Quetipine I wake up in the middle of the night at 3am or 4am and am unable to go back to sleep and end up staring blankly at my computer screen. Most every night I take it and even if a trip or two to the bathroom is necessary, I can fall back asleep in minutes. However, this medication is very strong even at the 100mg level and I often have to hug the walls and furniture to safely walk to the bathroom. I'm sure others that take this medication have a loss of control of balance. I only take this medication about 1/2 an hour before bedtime or I find that suddenly I can't find the keys on the keyboard anymore and am EXTREMELY SEDATED. I get a solid 7 hours of sleep most nights."

dmhobbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2015

"My shrink upped my doses to 200 mg and I think that's to much because I started to get a rapid heart beat. I lost about 20 pounds due to my major depression. I had to quit my job because I would be drowsy. At first it worked and helped me sleep. I guess I built a tolerance to it now I take 1/4 of 200mg and I try not take every night. "

mrvicc90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2015

"Currently on .2mg of Clonidine and 300mg of Seroquel for Insomnia. Works fine."

Jon Dough (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2014

"I have been taking this since it was prescribed in detox three years ago. It has worked wonders for me. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mg pill and sleep though the night. I don't take it on the weekends to avoid building a tolerance. Sometimes if I am under stress, I will take a 1/2 pill. The only thing I notice is that I need to take it when I have at 7 hours to sleep or I may be groggy in the morning."

SleepLikeaBaby (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2014

"I have extreme social and general, am bipolar, and insomnia so bad I would cry on and off all night ,every night. Besides other anxiety meds, I take 50mg to 100mg of Seroquel every night about an hour before bed. It shuts off my racing thoughts, and I actually sleep. This has been my miracle because I was barely functioning, if at all. it does make me hungry, but I find if I eat a little something before I take it, I can control the munchies. This is little payment for the new life it's brought me."

julie bird December 11, 2014

"I took it in the past ( 100 mg) way to high of a dose! Made me feel like I was being smothered as I was drifting off to sleep and it was frightening! 8 years later my doctor convinced me to give it another try as I needed sound sleep and some help with anxiety. (also take 0.1mg lorazepam during the day as needed and one at bedtime.) My dosage was started at 50mg this time and I was having night terrors and weird dreams along with extreme grogginess in the morning. I recently started taking 25 mg and now I only have the dreams and morning groggy feeling! I think at the correct dose it is a medicine worth trying. I'm giving it a few more months to see if I adjust to it."

Marion anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2014

"Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years"

srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

"I had severe insomnia for years which caused major major depression and anxiety. I tried a ton of medications, but Seroquel was definitely the best. I'm still on it at 150mg (3 x 50), which gives me 7.5-9 hours sleep/night. When I take 100mg, I get about 5.5-6.5 hrs sleep. I take it an hour or so before bed. It sucked for about a week when I got on it, but I have been on it for 3 years now and it's a lifesaver. I still have nights where I have bad sleep, but it's rare. I have had 0 side effects. Just as a reference, mirtazipine did work for me too, but I gained weight. Ambien never worked well and benzodiazepines worked, but addiction scared me. Insomnia is the worst and this medicine gave me my life back."

Brinx321 November 18, 2014

"I have had chronic insomnia for three years along with occasional anxiety and mind racing. I've tried many of the major hitters, Ambien CR, Temazepam, Lunesta, etc. along with many other OTC ones. Tried all the ‘before bed’ tips (tea, no TV, even tried massages, meditation, music). With three years of insomnia I am surprised I don’t have some kind of mental illness going on. Anyways, after my doctor tried putting me on Quetiapine, 25MG – All I remember is laying my head down on the pillow and it was ‘lights out’. I slept 8 full hours then had to use the bathroom. Then went back to sleep for another four hours and slept like a baby. Wow! I was a little ‘out of it’ when I got up, but after a hot shower and a cup of coffee, I felt great."

Doug S. (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

"I have been on all kinds of Benzodiazepines for sleep due to anxiety and periods of alcohol withdrawal. SEROQUEL has been a life saver. I am 220 lbs and 6 foot tall and first took 200 MG and slept twelve hours. I could of had major surgery and not awoke! I have found 100 mgs to be very effective where as Trazodone is about a third as effective. SEROQUEL is a great tool for sleep, and especially for those that are getting Benzos or other medicines!"

Dugan5555 October 28, 2014

"I take 3 ,25mg of quetiapine fumarate at night before bed for insomnia. It works very well. I sleep well on it without waking through the night. I have found out that I've had to cut out citrus as it interferes with my meds stops them from working but apart from that its great. And I found when taking it I have to drink alot of water when taking them and have to eat something after them to help them kick in quicker."

Natalie alyshea (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2014

"25mg for insomnia. I always used to fall asleep and have a sound sleep until 3 am. Comes 3 am. I used to wake up and stay awake until 5 or 6 am. This compromised my day. My experience is to take Seroquel before 1 am. I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. If I wake up, I am sure to fall asleep right away. On the flip side, I believe I became addicted to Seroquel to the point that if I even miss one night I don't sleep well. Oh well it's a tradeoff I guess."

prairie dog (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next