User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

"Lately, due to a lot of stress because of an ex boyfriend harassing and threatening me, I've been staying awake all night and not being able to fall asleep and it had been increasing the anxiety SO MUCH. Well I went to my doctor and she gave me 25mg of Seroquel to take at night. And this is where I will add my "WOW" haha! This pill has been a LIFE SAVER. I can sleep through the entire night and do not wake up at all. But If I need to wake up, I can without a problem. Medications work differently for everyone. But for me it's worked wonders. So thankful!"

sbrant1994 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I have been on this for over two years for bipolar.and insomnia, with 300 mg being at bedtime. It helps me sleep with very few side effects, it I know lots of others who can't even take the smallest dose without problems. We all react differently, I know. For instance some people swear by Depakote, but that stuff was a nightmare for me."

Jasper839 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2015

"I got prescribed Quetiapine(25mg) about 2 months ago, doctor told me to take 1-2 tablets a night,I found myself having to keep getting up and taking more throughout the night as I still wasn't asleep, it gave me headaches everyday, I was slurring my words and I would loose big chunks of my memory"

Hddujn July 18, 2015

"I was on quitapex for about 9months Taking every night before sleep 25mg only It was an amazing medication Till my blood pressure has fallen to about 90/60 And sometimes 80/50 So I have stopped taking it Now I have to deal with my anxiety only taking nodeprine and exercising a lot Trying to avoid putting myself through the burnout area by taking vacation every now and then ."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2015

"This med has caused ET dysfunction which may be permanent. It has terrible withdrawal side effects so I am having difficulty tapering off. I wish I was told about this is like before getting on it .I regret ever taking it."

Giffordw June 28, 2015

"At the smallest dose (I believe 25 mg) I didnt have any blackouts like I did with ambien and I could easily fall asleep. I liked this drug because it didn't give me dry mouth, I could wake up when I had to and not feel hungover the next day"

Shy Sea Otter June 26, 2015

"I've been taking Quetiapine for over 15 years, I started off taking 25 mg and over the years it was increased to 1000mg a night. Recently found out that my liver is double the size and I am quite concerned. I have been lowering my dose to 450 mg a night with clonazepam and I am still sleeping. I haven't had vivid dreams but started getting panic attacks last year. To be honest I am scared of the affects of taking this medication for over 15 years, my doctors, while being concerned haven't checked my blood regularly and now I am scared to death about my liver, reviews say that I need to stop taking this drug..but it works... Please make sure that you are having regular bloodwork done every 3 months. But this is the best sleep aid out there!"

Knike74 June 16, 2015

"The doctor prescribed this med for my insomnia, accompanied by depression and anxiety. This was a total NIGHTMARE!! Not only was I wide awake all night, I experienced extreme paranoia, and hallucinations. I will definitely never take this again."

azkat123 June 16, 2015

"I was went to doc today because of having a bad experience being weened off of Cymbalta for fibro pain and sleep insomnia so today I was given serquel 100mg and told to start with 50mg I did so at 11am this morning unforetunately with in 20 mins I feel like I could not stand nor keep my eyes open and very tired I barely made it to bed I slept from 11am ish to 130am yes that long with only waking once when my husband came home and he was banging on door that he couldn't get in. The top locked was locked I let him in and almost fell to the floor tryin to get back in bed and felt like I was in a coma and had no idea if it was day or night I went back to slept I couldn't do much more (should've went to ER ) but I slept again till 130am with wakin once more"

DianaTrod June 13, 2015

"I'm a 26 year old white male. I have been taking seroquel for sleep for about a year now, my doctor prescribed me 400mg quick release to start, the first time I took it, within an hour, I felt like I was having a heart attack, my heart beat sped up an incredible amount and I was terrified. Later had the dose lowered to 200 mg and the heart rate issue was much less but still there, I have been taking the 200mg dose for about a year now. It helps me fall asleep within an hour of taking it and I get pretty decent sleep, not sure how deep it is but I sleep. I've read about how prolonged usage of seroquel is like a chemical lobotomy, I hope this is not true. I am a creative type and I have a lower creativity level ever since I started taking it."

ddjenkins June 6, 2015

"I do feel that I have a better sleep with 100mg of seroquel XR. I have, however, had adverse effects with the quick release (Non XR) with this medication I have nightmares, vivid dreams and poor sleep."

sleepless in Victoria (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I am bipolar and suffer from severe insomnia. I take 400 MG of Seroquel XR in the early evening, and 100 MG of regular Seroquel at bedtime. It works pretty well, and I am not overly tired the next morning. It did cause vivid dreams and nightmares, but I take 5 MG of Prazosin at bedtime for the dreams, and it definitely helps."

Most helpful medicine so far. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 8, 2015

"I'm 20 and I've delt with my insomnia my whole life but it started getting really bad when I was in 5th grade. I've gone to every doctor you can think of and the ONLY thing that has ever helped me is quetiapine. I sleep 6 or more hours a night and usually fall asleep within an hour of taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

"I have suffered with insomnia since I was a child. Cymbalta worsened my condition to the point of lethargy and my PCP prescribed quetiapine (50mg 1x first two days and then 100mg 1x per day thereafter) after all other sleep aides failed. The first day on 50mg, it look about 1.5 hours to kick in, I slept for 4 hours, awoke to crazy vivid dreams and insanely sweet food cravings (caramel, maple syrup), went back to bed, fell asleep and woke up feeling like a truck hit me. Second day, same cravings and vivid dreams but slept better. After about six months the sweet cravings went away but I gained 20 lbs. I've been on quetiapine for over a year and I cannot sleep without it. For the first time in my life, I sleep a solid 7-8 hours per night."

kimg727 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2015

"This medication works fairly well for insomnia and hallucinations. If you are experiencing night terrors or nightmares since taking this medication, I would suggest supplementing with Glycine on top of it. I take about 3000mgs of Glycine 2 to 3 times a day. Works well."

turnc8 (taken for 10 years or more) April 13, 2015

"For me, this is the best hypnotic of all that I have tried to date, which includes quetiapine, mirtazapine, amitriptyline, trazodone, zaleplon and doxylamine succinate. All of these meds have their pros and cons but quetiapine gives me the most sleep overall and it's a such a cheap costing med as well. I typically only need to take 12.5 mgs for a good night's sleep. Now, this med may not be for everyone, as it a an anti-psychotic, and it does have the potential to cause some pretty severe side effects. Proceed with caution."

Sleeping In April 12, 2015

"This medication has changed the life of my 15 years old with Autism. My son suffered from years of screaming the whole night. He takes 25 mg along with 2 mg clonozepam at bed time and this worked miracle to us."

Mariam Karim April 4, 2015

"In my opinion, mirtazapine makes me fall asleep quicker, but quetiapine makes me sleep for more hours straight on end. Overall I think 25/50 mg Seroquel/quetiapine IR is the best sleepaid out there. Even after months or years of continous use, it doesnt loose its strength and is still nowhere near as addictive as benzodiazepines or barbitrates, while still being sedative."

Inzomniac1986038 April 2, 2015

"love it. best sleep ever. i could go days without sleep with a mind wondering constantly. not now.. only side effect i have is munchies, but i have learned to eat a little when i take and go to bed within the hour. wish i had years ago.. miracle drug!!!"

lilbitcraze March 12, 2015

"Started this about 3 days now and finally I can get SOME sleep. Have tried them all but were unsuccessful in knocking me out. Started at 25mg which didn't even affect me, no sleep then jumped to 100mg and got a good 4-5 hours sleep but still waking up early morning unable to fall back to sleep. Upped to 150mg same thing maybe a little deeper sleep. Going to take 200mg tonight but will continue the increase until I can sleep soundly the WHOLE night. Great medication IMO"

nicsnice33 March 12, 2015

"The good - Was given 25mg for sleep issues. It sure definitely helps with sleep. Will knock ya out at 25mg. Ambien was not very effective and its very dangerous drug if you wake up while taking it, will never take Ambien again. The bad - I feel like I'm in a groggy haze for 4+ hours in the morning. Very sedated and slow thinking. Also seemed to cause intense dreams in the beginning. Don't think I will, or can continue on a daily basis. I have things to do during the day. Could be useful if you really need some good sleep and don't have much to do the next day."

agoraphob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2015

"I have really bad insomnia which is triggered by my depression & anxiety. My shrink gave me this medicine & I sleep like a baby. The thing is I started having these dreams & they feel so real. But I thought this was only me until I started reading other reviews. I have to have at least 8hrs to sleep or then I'm rather groggy. I'm happy for the sleep because I was up for 36 hrs at a time."

Tweety05 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2015

"I like Seroquel for sleep better than ANYTHING I've tried ( Trazodone, Ambien, Restoril, Melatonin, Ativan, Benadryl, and Hydroxzine). Its the best out there... Except for the ultra vivid dreams!"

Ashli J February 6, 2015

"On the nights when I forget to take my 100mg of Quetipine I wake up in the middle of the night at 3am or 4am and am unable to go back to sleep and end up staring blankly at my computer screen. Most every night I take it and even if a trip or two to the bathroom is necessary, I can fall back asleep in minutes. However, this medication is very strong even at the 100mg level and I often have to hug the walls and furniture to safely walk to the bathroom. I'm sure others that take this medication have a loss of control of balance. I only take this medication about 1/2 an hour before bedtime or I find that suddenly I can't find the keys on the keyboard anymore and am EXTREMELY SEDATED. I get a solid 7 hours of sleep most nights."

dmhobbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2015

"My shrink upped my doses to 200 mg and I think that's to much because I started to get a rapid heart beat. I lost about 20 pounds due to my major depression. I had to quit my job because I would be drowsy. At first it worked and helped me sleep. I guess I built a tolerance to it now I take 1/4 of 200mg and I try not take every night. "

mrvicc90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2015