User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Insomnia

Review by Jon Dough (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Currently on .2mg of Clonidine and 300mg of Seroquel for Insomnia. Works fine.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 22, 2014 2:49 AM

Review by SleepLikeaBaby (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking this since it was prescribed in detox three years ago. It has worked wonders for me. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mg pill and sleep though the night. I don't take it on the weekends to avoid building a tolerance. Sometimes if I am under stress, I will take a 1/2 pill. The only thing I notice is that I need to take it when I have at 7 hours to sleep or I may be groggy in the morning.

December 13, 2014 7:08 PM

Review by julie bird:

I have extreme social and general, am bipolar, and insomnia so bad I would cry on and off all night ,every night. Besides other anxiety meds, I take 50mg to 100mg of Seroquel every night about an hour before bed. It shuts off my racing thoughts, and I actually sleep. This has been my miracle because I was barely functioning, if at all. it does make me hungry, but I find if I eat a little something before I take it, I can control the munchies. This is little payment for the new life it's brought me.

December 11, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years

December 5, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Brinx321:

I had severe insomnia for years which caused major major depression and anxiety. I tried a ton of medications, but Seroquel was definitely the best. I'm still on it at 150mg (3 x 50), which gives me 7.5-9 hours sleep/night. When I take 100mg, I get about 5.5-6.5 hrs sleep. I take it an hour or so before bed. It sucked for about a week when I got on it, but I have been on it for 3 years now and it's a lifesaver. I still have nights where I have bad sleep, but it's rare. I have had 0 side effects. Just as a reference, mirtazipine did work for me too, but I gained weight. Ambien never worked well and benzodiazepines worked, but addiction scared me. Insomnia is the worst and this medicine gave me my life back.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Doug S. (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had chronic insomnia for three years along with occasional anxiety and mind racing. I've tried many of the major hitters, Ambien CR, Temazepam, Lunesta, etc. along with many other OTC ones. Tried all the ‘before bed’ tips (tea, no TV, even tried massages, meditation, music). With three years of insomnia I am surprised I don’t have some kind of mental illness going on. Anyways, after my doctor tried putting me on Quetiapine, 25MG – All I remember is laying my head down on the pillow and it was ‘lights out’. I slept 8 full hours then had to use the bathroom. Then went back to sleep for another four hours and slept like a baby. Wow! I was a little ‘out of it’ when I got up, but after a hot shower and a cup of coffee, I felt great.

November 1, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Dugan5555:

I have been on all kinds of Benzodiazepines for sleep due to anxiety and periods of alcohol withdrawal. SEROQUEL has been a life saver. I am 220 lbs and 6 foot tall and first took 200 MG and slept twelve hours. I could of had major surgery and not awoke! I have found 100 mgs to be very effective where as Trazodone is about a third as effective. SEROQUEL is a great tool for sleep, and especially for those that are getting Benzos or other medicines!

October 28, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by Natalie alyshea (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take 3 ,25mg of quetiapine fumarate at night before bed for insomnia. It works very well. I sleep well on it without waking through the night. I have found out that I've had to cut out citrus as it interferes with my meds stops them from working but apart from that its great. And I found when taking it I have to drink alot of water when taking them and have to eat something after them to help them kick in quicker.

September 15, 2014 9:45 AM

Review by prairie dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

25mg for insomnia. I always used to fall asleep and have a sound sleep until 3 am. Comes 3 am. I used to wake up and stay awake until 5 or 6 am. This compromised my day. My experience is to take Seroquel before 1 am. I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. If I wake up, I am sure to fall asleep right away. On the flip side, I believe I became addicted to Seroquel to the point that if I even miss one night I don't sleep well. Oh well it's a tradeoff I guess.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by michellemari (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had severe depression and could not sleep at all. My husband can testify that I could be awake for 4 days in a row. I had anxiety attacks. I was on Cymbalta, Lamotrigine and Molipaxin. But the depression stayed and my sleep did not improve at all. I was hospitalized 3 times in less than 3 years. The last time I was gradually put on bigger doses of Serequel - up to 400g. The last 2 days I slept through the whole night - deep sleep! I have been on it for more than 5 years. I drink it at night -about an hour before I want to sleep. I have slept every night. My mood has been stable all these years - no depression , anxiety attacks or weight gain. I do have difficulty getting "fully awake " in the morning. But I would rather have this "side effect".

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by costly (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on 25 mg of Seroquel and .5 mg Klonopin for 11 years for chronic insomnia. This combination has been wonderful, and I haven't noticed any side effects. However, my insurance will not cover the cost.

July 29, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Hacksaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I'm 31. I've been diagnosed with depression several times. Gradually, as I got older, I was having more and more trouble falling asleep. Eventually I would be awake all night and then fall asleep some time in the afternoon or maybe the next next evening. It was a very bad situation for me. Eventually I got on 50 mg of Seroquel and and now I sleep well every night for about nine months or so. I have very little side effects from Seroquel; I get restless legs and it makes me a little irritable about a half hour before I get drowsy. I lost like 25 pounds once I started sleeping again.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Rip Van Winkle (taken for less than 1 month):

Now I realize my experience is somewhat limited, but if my doctor had not prescribed it for me about four days ago, I might be typing from a rubber room. Because of certain very stressful life events, I began to experience insomnia about two months ago. For those two months, I was getting approximately 3 hours of fragmented sleep a night. I started taking 50 mgs of this medicine four nights ago, and I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night. This medicine broke the anxiety > insomnia > anxiety > insomnia cycle. Once you're in the circle of that cyclical hell, it's very difficult to break out of it.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 13, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by MinnieMouse00 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking this medicine for a little over two years, but I recently stopped. It is a WONDERFUL medicine for doing what it's supposed to do: making you sleep and stopping your racing thoughts. I don't regret taking it, because I badly needed it at the time. However, this medicine has HORRIBLE side effects. For me, they outweigh the benefits. I developed an intestinal problem, high blood sugar, and gained over 30 pounds that I could not lose no matter what I tried. I also feel like my mind is slower, and I can no longer retain as much information. I would not recommend taking this medication long term. There are also other negative effects that I was lucky enough not to experience.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 6:42 PM

Review by tillyissilly:

On this for BPD and possible bipolar and anxiety helped my anxiety a lot after lorazepam and haliperidol stopped working. Its a great medicine, saved my life. I take 25mg three times a day also helped with my anger and evened out my mood since Depakote and lamotrigine wasn't working alone but I still take these hunger issues were a problem at first but Depakote causes bad hunger too but glad to say its no longer a problem BUT they just don't knock me out even with the Valium I take you'd think I would just crash but nope 3-4am every day I fall asleep even though I take the pill at 8pm!!

April 13, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by Anxious Insomniac (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had been suffering from pretty severe anxiety and sleeplessness. I would usually be able to fall asleep but would then wake up 1-4 hours later and never be able to fall back asleep. I start Zoloft (50, then 100, now 150mg) a little over a month ago and my anxiety is basically gone. In conjunction with that I started taking Seroquel at the same time for sleep and it has been wonderful. I started out taking 50mg but am now taking 100mg a night about 30-45 minutes before bed. Within about a half hour I feel incredibly tired and relaxed, it's wonderful. For whatever reason this medication does give me the munchies to watch out for that. After a couple weeks on the medication I no longer feel drowsy in the morning which is great!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by damnllama:

Don't know why it took so long for someone to recommend Seroquel for sleep. Tried them all. All sleeping pills, benzodiazepines, PM medicines. I take 50mg up to 100 mgs tops per night and am getting sound 7 plus hours sleep without the all day grogginess the other meds gave me. Its the best sleep I've had in a long time.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2014 11:27 PM

Review by honest (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I'm taking QUETIAPINE, TEMAZEP & VISTAIL. I suffer from Anxiety, Major Depression & Insomnia. I'm taking Vistaril for the Anxiety I'm on 50MG 4 times a day when reading most of you said it made you pretty sleepy. I feel normal for the first time in 40 yrs like maybe I can have a life now. My experience so far has been a great one. I DON'T GET Drowsy At All LIKE I SAID THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I FEEL 100% Normal. I take two Seroquel 100MG in the morning For Major Depression. That doesn't make me Drowsy at all when I read about Vistaril and Seroquel people say they are drowsy and lethargic, not ME I Feel Great! I Also take Seroquel 300MG at Bedtime along with 30MG Restoril at Bedtime. The only side effects I have is movements in my neck and the chills. Yep that's it. I can't say I like the jerk in my neck, but if I feel Normal & I just have those two side effects LIFE IS GREAT. I think what most people do is give up too fast work with your doctors they just have to find the right cocktail for YOU. Never Give Up On Yourself!

February 13, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by gasmd72 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking quetiapine for 3 years to help me sleep. For me it is wonderful. I take 50 - 100 mg before bed every night, unless I am on call as I am a physician. If I go to bed within 30 min of taking it I usually sleep well. 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I am good to go. Prior to Quetiapine sleep was nearly impossible and sleeping pills would make me more useless the next day than if I just stayed up all night. I'm glad to have access to quetiapine.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by lvs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My sons, age 10 and 14 have been taking this for a year. I had tried everything to get them to stop wetting the bed but nothing worked. Then the dr. thought that the reason they were wetting the bed is because they were not getting a good nights sleep. I was very skeptical, specially to give them any medicine. Also, my 10 year old had a hard time falling asleep. Within a couple of weeks of taking the medicine (25 mg), they both stopped wetting the bed. It was a miracle. A couple of months I go I started taking the medicine. I thought I was getting my 8 hours of sleep but the dr. thought that I was not, since I was exhausted all day long. Well after taking this a couple of days I noticed the quality of my sleep was much better.

January 4, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by Userreview25 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

25 year old who has suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for what seems like forever. My anxiety got much worse my senior year of college and I started having major sleep issues. I became obsessed with my fear of not sleeping and it really took a toll on me. I was taking Klonopin at night to sleep but that just made me out of it and feeling guilty worrying that I would become dependent on a benzo. I do not like the idea of taking medicine to sleep but I was desperate. My psych prescribed my Seroquel 25mg at night and the first night I slept 7 full hours after months of hardly any sleep. The Seroquel has allowed me to work on healthy lifestyle choices with the goal of eventually not needing it anymore. Minor weight gain.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by jenzw (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Brilliant - Tried all the usual sleeping tablets with no success. This works for me 99% of the time. I've accidentally forgotten to take it a couple of times without realising until the next day and the difference is very noticeable.

November 17, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Dfhhfxg Okay:

I take 25 to 50 mg at night to help me sleep. It knocks me out and keeps me sleeping. I switched to this after other sleeping pills didn't help, I'd always wake up 3 hours later wide awake which annoyed me. I do feel groggy in the morning but I'd rather be groggy than not sleeping at all.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 9:56 PM

Review by blake87:

I started taking 100mg a night 9 years ago, lowered my dose almost immediately to 75mg, a year or two later down to 50, and as of the past 10 months down to 25 a night. It works EVERY night. I get perfect sleep. I do sometimes find the urge to binge on food right before it knocks me out but not always, especially at the lower dose. Higher doses I would always binge eat. (Although I'm lucky because I'm a 26 year old male who weighs 120 pounds healthy weight for my height). Seroquel is a wonderful medication if you need the sleep. I used to get a sort of "zombie" feeling in the morning and be slightly irritable but nowadays not so much. A cup of coffee and I'm good to go.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Desperate for Sleep:

75mg of this medicine usually does the trick for me and I get a good night's sleep. Occasionally, I have weird dreams. Also, strange is this: if I wait until the medicine makes me woozy before I hit the sack, I can't fall asleep. However, if I go to bed right before I get woozy, I usually, but not always, fall asleep. I then get up a couple of times a night to go to the bathroom but usually can fall asleep again.

October 10, 2013 5:39 PM