User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Take for constant nightmares, helps me sleep through the night without dreaming, knocks me out for the rest of the next day though ."

Philymon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "It's a great medication. It helps me out a lot, the only thing is the weight gain. I've gain 30 pounds being on seroquel, if only there's another medicine you can take with it so you don't gain the weight that would be great"

kecasue (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Took Seroquel XR for about 2 months, experienced help with sleep issues for about a week before that wore off. Gained at least 20 lbs in this time frame, due to increased appetite and general weight gain due to the drug. Never really seemed to help my bipolar disorder- the other medicines I take do that."

kingofredlions (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been diagnosed with bipolar 1(Runs in family)borderline personality, gen anxiety and epilepsy. I take 400 XR mg of serequal at night with 1mg lorazepam,60mg mirtazapine(SNRI), 10mg lexapro(SSRI) in the morn, 1000mg of depakote in morn and 1300mg at night, 100mg of lamotrigine in morn and 200mg at night-before seroquel I still had the mania and depression although less intense due to my other med levels finally correct, but once on seroquel the length between phases has been much longer, and to a point even lessened the intensity of the highs and lows more , Between phases I've felt more life, calmness, happy and much more. I totally recommend this drug. It's only major side effect for me has been weight gain(a lot of)"

glynn Connah August 16, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I sometimes hear negetive of Seroquel. At first i had bad giddiness and light head. I wanted to stop but was recommented to stay on it and I did. I changed to XR and i havent looked back. Its been three years, if I hear a off handed remark at the chemist thats its not popular, i tell them i would not change, i tried Zyprexa but it wasnt good for me, i lasted not even a full foil. Seroquel isnt too bad on the weight, and a better diet or and exercise would help. For me this is a great med, and i dont want to change, it helps with so much, it has many uses. The tiredness you can have wears off and as time goes by your body gets used to it. It is tiring, but small price to pay. Im sticking with Seroquel. I am a positive vote."

Eliza_nsw August 15, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am on 700mg every day, my dose is always increasing. It doesn't knock me out anymore. I took 700mg a couple hours ago and I'm still wide awake. Each time my dose goes up I'm stable for a week or two but then I start to go crazy again pretty quick."

melisah (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel helped my mental status but I couldn't take being tired all the time and the weight gain was ridiculous even with eating healthy and working out six days a week. To get off of it you have to taper so slow. When I dropped from 12.5mg to 0mg I went through terrible withdrawals way worse than stopping opiates. Throwing up, flu symptoms, I lived in bed and was close to wanting to just quit. I was worthless from day three of stopping to day nine. I woke up on day ten feeling back to my old self and so happy to be free of this stuff they call seroquel"

Cleo13 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "This medicine works great but the side effects was just to much. Gained 83 pounds in 9 months of being on it."

TyTy3643 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2015

"Hi there, I speak on behalf of my own experiences of this medication. I suffer from manic depression bipolar and have had an undiagnosed psychiatric history of 5 years. I get aggressive and violent, hallucinate followed by full psychotic systems. I take 1 25mg 4-3 times a day, just very sleepy."

DR Owen (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on this medication for about a month now, tried pretty much all ssris for depression and over time found out i had bipolar 2. This medicine work fairly well, helps your memory, and keeps your moods at a fairly stable place. I'm on 300 mgs now and I was on 150mg, all in all pretty good medication."

Tom1998 July 24, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been taking seroquil for 18 months and have gained about 30 lb. I take 200mg at night and find I feel as if I am starving and eat crazy amounts sugary food that I crave. I find that when I wake my eyes have a haze over them for a half hour or so. If I miss a dose I can not sleep no matter how much I try. I get a clenched jaw and grind my teeth when I miss a dose. I was in prison and sometimes was not given the opportunity to take it. Those nights and days were long. I will say that it helps slow the mind down and it is amazing to get to sleep. With that said after taking it I was ready for bed in about 20min whether I wanted to sleep then or not. When I tried stopping I did not sleep right for months."

happy80004 July 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "This medication completely changed my life. My diagnosis is mixed rapid-cycling bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Before my regimine, I would suffer a week of depression, followed by a day of dangerous mixed affective episode, followed by a few hours of euphoria before the process wouls begin all over again. I had ruminating, and intrusive thoughts; panic atacks; anxiety; extreme guilt; dissociation and suicidal ideation (and a few near-attempts.) But, within weeks of the therapeutic dose my mood stabilized; my anxiety dropped off; my obsessive and intrusive ruminations relinquished their hold; and, unexpectedly, I gained a spectrum of emotions I didn't even know I lacked (and that was the best thing of all.) Truly life-altering"

Srztanjur (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2015

"When anxious and paranoid, I take 6 mg at night and sometimes in the day. It stops the symptoms . I only have symptoms rarely.I can then focus or sleep. More than this dose knocks the crap out of me. Works for me when required."

Murdock20 July 9, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "One of the best meds for bipolar. Low frequency of EPS and no prolactin elevation, however I have gained approx. 10-12 lbs in one year, but that's a small pay for mental stability. Recommend monitoring blood glucose, triglycerides and cholesterol."

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I used to be in a rage all day long but now after taking 100 MG of Seroquel twice daily and 200 MG at night along with Depakote i'm doing great best medicine i have ever been on."

Anonymous1994 July 2, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I went from talking 120mgs of Cymbalta to taking 150 mgs of Seroquel XR just over one year ago. I fortunately did not suffer from any if the initial side effects that I've now researched & have learned are really common when starting this medication. However, 1 month ago, I'm not sure why but I ended up missing 2 nightly doses. What I experienced was nothing short of being in hell, literally. I physically was incapable of movement, getting up to simply get to the restroom was near impossible, every muscle in my body was weak & near useless. I couldn't do anything but remain in a fetal position curled up on my side for the duration of over 12 hours. My head was cloudy, confused & unable to process any thought. After this experience, I want off"

MarkyBy June 21, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "started Seroquel at night combined with Effexor during the day for bipolar and it's changing my life and saving my marriage. Where I used to have one good day a week, I have one bad day a week. Upped from 50mgs to 100mgs because it's effectiveness wore off mid day and recently added topamax because I've been attempting to lose weight (I have not gained, but it's harder to lose)."

Radcher June 11, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "After trying the most of medication for my depression/ mixed state, seroquel finally worked out. Made racing thougts go away and my mood is finally back to normal again. Feel happy and relaxed. I also take 150 mg venlafaxine. Best medicine i ever tryed is seroquel. No weigh gain for me. This medicine is a lifesaver for me."

Tesseklem77 June 10, 2015

"3 months 200 mg at night. This medicine has helped me be in control of my thoughts. Before starting Quetiapine, I was struggling a lot with depression, and on the flip side racing thoughts and overactivity. Had a failed and bad experience with SSRI-antidepressants. + Helps limit your brain activity to normal parameters. + Makes you sleep sound + Let´s you concentrate on what you want. - Weight gain - Hangover tiredness the next day. - Subtle antidepressant effect. It is more a mood stabiliser in my experience. All in all it does the job, and it can be invaluable when looking back at one´s life."

Mike26yo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So I started on this two weeks ago may need to go a bit stronger as over time when I was younger just tried to mellow out on illegal drugs. Seraquil is the best thing I have tried I am 32 and just been diagnosed with bipolar. Doesn't make me sleepy makes me hungry a lil bit. But has changed my life stopped the agitation and horrible thoughts that run riot in my head. Just slows it done and I am able to see clearly. I am only on a mild dose but in saying this I'm glad I take one when I can feel my mania coming on."

Halz May 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I am a 36 year mother of one who has been married for 21 years to a wonderful man who endured years of my manic episodes, anger problems, hateful behavior. I knew that certain mental illnesses ran in my family, and they all started in the late twenties to early thirties. I ignored my symptoms for a long time, and doctors tried other medications. Mostly I would just try to get through the day without screaming at people. I was self- destructive and it was ruining my marriage. My new doctor put me on this medicine at 200 mg a day and it has changed my life. I feel like my old self, none of those terrible highs and lows. I am depressed/ bi-polar. I'm so thankful for this medication, and so is my husband and daughter!"

jesse78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

"I can honestly say this medication saved my life. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II when I was 16 and was in a very dark place that I didn't think I would ever be able to come out of. After a couple months of taking Quetiapine I noticed a dramatic change in my moods - I was a good 85% more stable than I had been in the previous 3-4 years and it also majorly helped my insomnia. Although after being on the medication for a year I did have to re-adjust my dose and put it higher, it's still working amazingly. Obviously it's not a cure, I still have some bad days! But I can move on from them within 24 hours without feeling like my world is falling apart. I'm 18 nearly 19 now and this is the happiest I've been in years."

Sophb101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015