User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So I started on this two weeks ago may need to go a bit stronger as over time when I was younger just tried to mellow out on illegal drugs. Seraquil is the best thing I have tried I am 32 and just been diagnosed with bipolar. Doesn't make me sleepy makes me hungry a lil bit. But has changed my life stopped the agitation and horrible thoughts that run riot in my head. Just slows it done and I am able to see clearly. I am only on a mild dose but in saying this I'm glad I take one when I can feel my mania coming on."

Halz May 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I am a 36 year mother of one who has been married for 21 years to a wonderful man who endured years of my manic episodes, anger problems, hateful behavior. I knew that certain mental illnesses ran in my family, and they all started in the late twenties to early thirties. I ignored my symptoms for a long time, and doctors tried other medications. Mostly I would just try to get through the day without screaming at people. I was self- destructive and it was ruining my marriage. My new doctor put me on this medicine at 200 mg a day and it has changed my life. I feel like my old self, none of those terrible highs and lows. I am depressed/ bi-polar. I'm so thankful for this medication, and so is my husband and daughter!"

jesse78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

"I can honestly say this medication saved my life. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II when I was 16 and was in a very dark place that I didn't think I would ever be able to come out of. After a couple months of taking Quetiapine I noticed a dramatic change in my moods - I was a good 85% more stable than I had been in the previous 3-4 years and it also majorly helped my insomnia. Although after being on the medication for a year I did have to re-adjust my dose and put it higher, it's still working amazingly. Obviously it's not a cure, I still have some bad days! But I can move on from them within 24 hours without feeling like my world is falling apart. I'm 18 nearly 19 now and this is the happiest I've been in years."

Sophb101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on Seroquel for 2 years. It really is a miracle. It has helped with my mood swings and problems sleeping. The only issue has been the weight gain. I've probably put on 35 lbs and I've never had problem with weight gain. The benefits of this medication make up for the weight gain."

Tlg v March 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on Seroquel for a couple months and I'm surprised at how good it works and how I have minimal side effects. I take 100mg-300mg at night and before my naps, just depending on how tired I already am without the medicine. Like most people, if you don't get ample sleep (8-10 hours), you usually wake up feeling tired & groggy. It usually wears off within a couple hours though. I noticed when I take it my eyes become super red like I just finished smoking weed. I have experienced a little chest pain in my lower rib cage but it's tolerable. Other than that, I sleep like a baby; I have the vivid dreams which in my opinion is neither negative or positive. But it's helped in stabilizing my mood & controlling my swings."

Tay B. March 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was recently diagnosed with bipolar and began taking 25-50mgs a night to aid insomnia because at the time I felt relatively well. I appear to be one of the few to embrace the side effect of increased appetite, when I'm manic, depressed or even the slightest bit anxious my appetite disappears. I can go weeks without feeling the need to eat and I love eating! I used to smoke alot of pot to help with my appetite and racing thoughts. I'm now taking 150mg XR at night as I'm currently having a mixed episode. It helps quieten my mind and slows me down a little but I don't feel in any way zombified, at night soon after taking I get sleepy but that's about it!"

Eeyore85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been taking Seraquel for 10 years of varying dosage until finding the right balance of this medication. It cured my insomnia and dampened the racingthoughts. Very happy with it for those reasons. However. I feel very dizzy and tired around an hour after taking 350mg at night. It levels out the mood swings. Curbs feelings of elation and empathy. Which is quite a price to pay for steady moods. To conclude, Seraquel has had a very positive influence in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. I think of it as preventative medication that "quietens" the mind. (Hence Quetiapine - it's pharmaceutical name)."

Daviebhoy22 (taken for 10 years or more) March 15, 2015

"I've been on Seroquel for 10 years and before I started this medication I was self destructive to myself, very bad episodes going up and down manic episides and I couldnt sleep without myself thinking about everything and worrying all the time but now since I've been on it. I feel very much better. I feel like myself now and happier now and have a better relationship with my mother and 2 beautiful boys of mine! And now I'm also getting help for my addiction! Thank you Seroquel for a better life!"

hotmama1987 (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2015

"I truly think this medication may have saved my life. I'm 24, and I knew I had some mental issues since I was a teen. Until now I never took them seriously, but looking back.. I'm so glad I was diagnosed and treated with this medication. I suffered for so many years with little sleep, alcoholism, panick attacks, mood swings, ludacris spending... you name it. Seroquel allows me to be the person I want to be. It slows me down and allows me to act more rationally and sleep properly. I'm so thankful this medication exists, I never want to live a day without it."

MrAtlantis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I lived with severe mood swings and major depression since I was 7 years old and I started taking Seroquel at 27. It changed my life for the better. It was as if someone had turned on the lights. I was able to identify negative and delusional thoughts and I developed massive insights into my mental health. I've gained 40kg in 7 years though and I'm now trialling alterntives. I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris, but it did everything that Seroquel did and more. I'm now looking into Zeldox or Latuda."

Seanie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been on Seroquel XR for 8 years. Can't believe I wasn't on this medicine when I was working , maybe I would not of been alcoholic for 40 years."

retired early February 18, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only on week 1 of this med, but I CANNOT believe the change in my mood. I am taking this to treat bipolar 2, anxiety and poor sleep quality. I take 50mg at night and sleep like a baby. Make sure to get 8-10 hours of sleep/night and you won't feel drowsy the next morning. It's eliminated my anxiety entirely and I feel completely stabilized. I haven't had any trouble with weight gain; in fact, I've already lost a few lbs, due to the fact that I no longer feel emotionally-driven to binge eat. No side effects as far as I can tell. An ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG. Just praying the results hold up."

valchicago February 13, 2015

"This medicine has really helped with my bipolar. I take 300mg (slow release) every evening and it's really helped balance my moods and ease any depressive episodes. Only side effect is feeling like a zombie if I wake up too early, but it's all about taking the pill at the right time before you sleep. If anything I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had when taken properly."

DP0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2014

"I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids. "

Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

"I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly."

PaultheComposer November 22, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully.."

ECCENTRICAKIRE November 14, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life."

kaykay729 November 14, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!"

Gemini21 November 10, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years. "

mnj34113 November 9, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "When I first went on this medication 300mg I did not like it at all. I had side effects of a type of floating- my head wasn't attached to my body- I'd be disorientated, only for a short time, but frequently at first. I don't really remember any other side effect. I wanted to stop taking this. I was 300 SR then went to normal Seroquel. Being on standard Seroquel helped. I asked to change off Seroquel and was told its a good medicine and just give it time- 6 weeks. Wow, I didn't like that idea. I did give it time, I was tried of a day, so went back to 150mg- over time I've been on 200mg also and now 300mg. I am so grateful to myself for hanging in there. I choose to be on Seroquel, I sleep a deep sleep, for me, I am happy. Very happy."

Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Got diagnosed with bipolar disorder three months ago, and started on Seroquel 50 mg at night. It has helped me a lot, and I feel like a totally different person (in a good way - I've suffered for 10 years!). At first I just thought I was in a "normal" phase (not manic or depressive) - but the depressions usually sneaks up on me after a few weeks when I've felt normal before. Not had any side-effects, other than restless legs syndrome, but I've had that before, so it wasn't a biggie. This side-effect has also almost disappeared after a few months. Was so scared of weight gain, but I watched what I eat, and work out a lot, instead I've gotten skinnier and healthier. Thumbs up! I got my life back! "

Siri86 November 5, 2014

"This medication has truly saved my life! I have Bipolar 1 and would predominantly suffer from intense periods of mania, lasting up to 6 months. I was completely reckless and out of control in every way. Depression was less common but whenever it hit, I would attempt suicide and have done so three times in my life. However since taking quetapine, I became nearly instantly stable and I am now in Law School. No weight gain at all, not a single pound! However I cant loose weight either. I'm on 200mg daily at the moment."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2014