User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Review Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "One of the best meds for bipolar. Low frequency of EPS and no prolactin elevation, however I have gained approx. 10-12 lbs in one year, but that's a small pay for mental stability. Recommend monitoring blood glucose, triglycerides and cholesterol."

be2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 4, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I used to be in a rage all day long but now after taking 100 MG of Seroquel twice daily and 200 MG at night along with Depakote i'm doing great best medicine i have ever been on."

Anonymous1994 July 2, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I went from talking 120mgs of Cymbalta to taking 150 mgs of Seroquel XR just over one year ago. I fortunately did not suffer from any if the initial side effects that I've now researched & have learned are really common when starting this medication. However, 1 month ago, I'm not sure why but I ended up missing 2 nightly doses. What I experienced was nothing short of being in hell, literally. I physically was incapable of movement, getting up to simply get to the restroom was near impossible, every muscle in my body was weak & near useless. I couldn't do anything but remain in a fetal position curled up on my side for the duration of over 12 hours. My head was cloudy, confused & unable to process any thought. After this experience, I want off"

MarkyBy June 21, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "started Seroquel at night combined with Effexor during the day for bipolar and it's changing my life and saving my marriage. Where I used to have one good day a week, I have one bad day a week. Upped from 50mgs to 100mgs because it's effectiveness wore off mid day and recently added topamax because I've been attempting to lose weight (I have not gained, but it's harder to lose)."

Radcher June 11, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "After trying the most of medication for my depression/ mixed state, seroquel finally worked out. Made racing thougts go away and my mood is finally back to normal again. Feel happy and relaxed. I also take 150 mg venlafaxine. Best medicine i ever tryed is seroquel. No weigh gain for me. This medicine is a lifesaver for me."

Tesseklem77 June 10, 2015

"3 months 200 mg at night. This medicine has helped me be in control of my thoughts. Before starting Quetiapine, I was struggling a lot with depression, and on the flip side racing thoughts and overactivity. Had a failed and bad experience with SSRI-antidepressants. + Helps limit your brain activity to normal parameters. + Makes you sleep sound + Let´s you concentrate on what you want. - Weight gain - Hangover tiredness the next day. - Subtle antidepressant effect. It is more a mood stabiliser in my experience. All in all it does the job, and it can be invaluable when looking back at one´s life."

Mike26yo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So I started on this two weeks ago may need to go a bit stronger as over time when I was younger just tried to mellow out on illegal drugs. Seraquil is the best thing I have tried I am 32 and just been diagnosed with bipolar. Doesn't make me sleepy makes me hungry a lil bit. But has changed my life stopped the agitation and horrible thoughts that run riot in my head. Just slows it done and I am able to see clearly. I am only on a mild dose but in saying this I'm glad I take one when I can feel my mania coming on."

Halz May 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Not bad, but the weight gain and how tired it made me, eventually led me to go off of it."

dnc1987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2015

"I am a 36 year mother of one who has been married for 21 years to a wonderful man who endured years of my manic episodes, anger problems, hateful behavior. I knew that certain mental illnesses ran in my family, and they all started in the late twenties to early thirties. I ignored my symptoms for a long time, and doctors tried other medications. Mostly I would just try to get through the day without screaming at people. I was self- destructive and it was ruining my marriage. My new doctor put me on this medicine at 200 mg a day and it has changed my life. I feel like my old self, none of those terrible highs and lows. I am depressed/ bi-polar. I'm so thankful for this medication, and so is my husband and daughter!"

jesse78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "For years I took seroquel in various doses throughout the given day. I was prescribed Seroquel XR about 3 years ago for Anxiety and Bipolar l. Since then it has been very effective. I did not gain weight at all. The only drawback is it does cause dizziness and sleepiness. Therefore, I sometimes opt to take it later than prescribed 7:30pm instead of 6."

Cyenchik1029 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "At first I hated this medication, made me really tired, feelings of non reality and weight gain. The doctor who put me on it said to wait and give it a chance. I'm glad I did. I use it to sleep at night, at some point I will reduce it but it's great for now. I have very restful sleeps, but am unable to remember my dreams. I am bipolar and although I am on other medication for it, I believe that Seroquel has been key in my mood stability. I take 100 mg every night, and 25 mg PRN for anxiety if needed. Although I get tired on it, it does slow down my thoughts."

Daisy323 April 6, 2015

"I can honestly say this medication saved my life. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II when I was 16 and was in a very dark place that I didn't think I would ever be able to come out of. After a couple months of taking Quetiapine I noticed a dramatic change in my moods - I was a good 85% more stable than I had been in the previous 3-4 years and it also majorly helped my insomnia. Although after being on the medication for a year I did have to re-adjust my dose and put it higher, it's still working amazingly. Obviously it's not a cure, I still have some bad days! But I can move on from them within 24 hours without feeling like my world is falling apart. I'm 18 nearly 19 now and this is the happiest I've been in years."

Sophb101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on Seroquel for 2 years. It really is a miracle. It has helped with my mood swings and problems sleeping. The only issue has been the weight gain. I've probably put on 35 lbs and I've never had problem with weight gain. The benefits of this medication make up for the weight gain."

Tlg v March 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on Seroquel for a couple months and I'm surprised at how good it works and how I have minimal side effects. I take 100mg-300mg at night and before my naps, just depending on how tired I already am without the medicine. Like most people, if you don't get ample sleep (8-10 hours), you usually wake up feeling tired & groggy. It usually wears off within a couple hours though. I noticed when I take it my eyes become super red like I just finished smoking weed. I have experienced a little chest pain in my lower rib cage but it's tolerable. Other than that, I sleep like a baby; I have the vivid dreams which in my opinion is neither negative or positive. But it's helped in stabilizing my mood & controlling my swings."

Tay B. March 23, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was recently diagnosed with bipolar and began taking 25-50mgs a night to aid insomnia because at the time I felt relatively well. I appear to be one of the few to embrace the side effect of increased appetite, when I'm manic, depressed or even the slightest bit anxious my appetite disappears. I can go weeks without feeling the need to eat and I love eating! I used to smoke alot of pot to help with my appetite and racing thoughts. I'm now taking 150mg XR at night as I'm currently having a mixed episode. It helps quieten my mind and slows me down a little but I don't feel in any way zombified, at night soon after taking I get sleepy but that's about it!"

Eeyore85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been taking Seraquel for 10 years of varying dosage until finding the right balance of this medication. It cured my insomnia and dampened the racingthoughts. Very happy with it for those reasons. However. I feel very dizzy and tired around an hour after taking 350mg at night. It levels out the mood swings. Curbs feelings of elation and empathy. Which is quite a price to pay for steady moods. To conclude, Seraquel has had a very positive influence in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. I think of it as preventative medication that "quietens" the mind. (Hence Quetiapine - it's pharmaceutical name)."

Daviebhoy22 (taken for 10 years or more) March 15, 2015

"I've been on Seroquel for 10 years and before I started this medication I was self destructive to myself, very bad episodes going up and down manic episides and I couldnt sleep without myself thinking about everything and worrying all the time but now since I've been on it. I feel very much better. I feel like myself now and happier now and have a better relationship with my mother and 2 beautiful boys of mine! And now I'm also getting help for my addiction! Thank you Seroquel for a better life!"

hotmama1987 (taken for 10 years or more) March 1, 2015

"I truly think this medication may have saved my life. I'm 24, and I knew I had some mental issues since I was a teen. Until now I never took them seriously, but looking back.. I'm so glad I was diagnosed and treated with this medication. I suffered for so many years with little sleep, alcoholism, panick attacks, mood swings, ludacris spending... you name it. Seroquel allows me to be the person I want to be. It slows me down and allows me to act more rationally and sleep properly. I'm so thankful this medication exists, I never want to live a day without it."

MrAtlantis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I lived with severe mood swings and major depression since I was 7 years old and I started taking Seroquel at 27. It changed my life for the better. It was as if someone had turned on the lights. I was able to identify negative and delusional thoughts and I developed massive insights into my mental health. I've gained 40kg in 7 years though and I'm now trialling alterntives. I had a severe allergic reaction to Saphris, but it did everything that Seroquel did and more. I'm now looking into Zeldox or Latuda."

Seanie (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been on Seroquel XR for 8 years. Can't believe I wasn't on this medicine when I was working , maybe I would not of been alcoholic for 40 years."

retired early February 18, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only on week 1 of this med, but I CANNOT believe the change in my mood. I am taking this to treat bipolar 2, anxiety and poor sleep quality. I take 50mg at night and sleep like a baby. Make sure to get 8-10 hours of sleep/night and you won't feel drowsy the next morning. It's eliminated my anxiety entirely and I feel completely stabilized. I haven't had any trouble with weight gain; in fact, I've already lost a few lbs, due to the fact that I no longer feel emotionally-driven to binge eat. No side effects as far as I can tell. An ABSOLUTE MIRACLE DRUG. Just praying the results hold up."

valchicago February 13, 2015

"This medicine has really helped with my bipolar. I take 300mg (slow release) every evening and it's really helped balance my moods and ease any depressive episodes. Only side effect is feeling like a zombie if I wake up too early, but it's all about taking the pill at the right time before you sleep. If anything I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had when taken properly."

DP0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2014

"I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids. "

Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

"I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly."

PaultheComposer November 22, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully.."

ECCENTRICAKIRE November 14, 2014