User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have had severe depression and anxiety for a long time. Adding to that, I was sexually assaulted and now also have PTSD. Long story short, I became addicted to opiates and am now in recovery. Being in recovery, I embarked on a journey to get my mental health under control. I was diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 and PTSD. I take Seroquel at night with Lamictal, and Lithium twice daily. The Seroquel is a must for me. After five years of flashbacks, panic attacks, and night terrors over my rape, I can finally get a full night of sleep. I have asthma and it doesn't bother it, and I'm on 100mg per night. I saw one reviewer say do not take seroquel if you have asthma. The truth is EVERYONE is different. Seroquel works great for me."

Jacob Ethridge February 5, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I tried taking Seroquel when I was a teenager. Everytime I took it it would knock me out & I would sleep the whole day away. Needless to say, I wasn't on it for very long."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was on this med in 2010 for a year. The dose went from 25mg up to 400mg. The first few weeks were very difficult. It knocked me out cold and I had such a blocked nose I could hardly breathe. I toughed it out and my depression lifted. I stopped taking it because of really bad blocked nose. I have just had a major depressive episode (2015) with insomnia. I was prescribed 100mg. It worked within 24 hours. I was able to sleep for 9 hours and feel refreshed and energized. The depression and anxiety have improved dramatically. This time I'll stay on Seroquel."

JaxWebb (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I almost passed out on 20mg.'s. My pulse was a dangerously low 40 b.p.m.. This is a very dangerous drug that has been linked to sudden deaths when combined with at least 12 other medications."

scammed (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have a child on Seroquel. We've tried Abilify, Risperdal, and Geodon to no avail. Seroquel seems to keep her psychotic symptoms at a whisper instead of shouting in her head. My husband has also used Seroquel for his schizoaffective disorder. He switched to Risperdal because the Seroquel was sedating when ingesting over 50mg and he needed doses during the day. Our daughter is on an average of 500mg a day with no sedating effects whatsoever and we're wondering if she just does not do well on this class of drug since 600mg a day is the highest she can safely go for her age. Nothing seems to keep her psychotic symptoms completely in check, particularly her paranoia."

LizGC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "This medication has been a real life-saver. I had struggled with heavy depressions interspersed with hypomania for a few years before I was eventually diagnosed with Bipolar 2 Disorder, for which I was prescribed this. The initial 50mg did nothing except be an overrated sleep pill, but the boost to 300mg for bipolar depression helped begin to mellow me out, and a few weeks later I was starting to experience a life free of devastating mood swings. I've read horror stories online, but I experienced nothing of the sort (actually *lost* weight in the past few months). It's a shame there's risks with long-term use, I would happily take this forever otherwise - these past few months have been nice and happy and productive for me thanks to this."

HayleyQuell (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am on 600 mg a day 2x300. It is being used to help with depressive episodes of bipolar which I get more than the highs. It seems to of helped stop the very very lows but I still feel low with little energy or motivation. My appetite seems about the same although I have put on weight but that's down to me not working now. Sleepwise I struggle to get to sleep but once I'm asleep I sleep for about 8 hours."

Madmick. January 20, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My Dr started me out at 200 mg at bedtime and 100 mg in the morning. I have found sleep comes much more naturally. Esp after the 200 dose at bedtime. And the 100mg in the morning keeps me balanced throughout the day.I am happy with my results for my Major depression."

Marine 1 January 20, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Turned me into a dribbling zombie. Everyone thought I was drunk. Horrible."

salyy65346757 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am dx'd with bipolar II plus other psych diagnoses and have tried multiple meds since 2004 and all of them caused such horrible side effects that I couldn't take them. Now in 2016 I am willing to try again. I fought my Dr for many years and she insisted that If I would only listen to her that I would feel much better and not have to suffer with my rollercoaster emotions. The down is so bad now that I finally couldn't stand myself any longer so I told her I'm willing to try Seroquel. I took it for a month only to find out that it causes VERY low libido. I know that sanity is more important than a libido, but come on!!! Isn't there an RX that works like Seroquel without the low libido effect? Help!!! otherwise this medicine is perfect."

lintek (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I'm not sure how I feel about this drug helping with my bipolar. I'm on lamictal for that and was put on seroquel to help with it until I was on a high enough dosage of that and truly did not feel it made any difference. I have stayed on a low dose of seroquel simply because I LOVE the sedative effects. If there was an option on here for the reason we were taking it was "insomnia" I would have put that. I never realized how awful I was sleeping until this medicine. 50mg a night and I get an amazing nights sleep. No more waking up to every little sound despite sleeping with a noise maker. It's amazing."

Mellooo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was put on Seroquel for severe anxiety and suspected bipolar. Let me begin with this. Do not EVER TAKE THIS IF YOU HAVE ASTHMA. You know that horrible drying effect that many antihistamines have resulting in asthma attacks? This is much worse. I started out with an 8th of a tablet (12.5mg). This gave me a calm, sleepy feeling that would put me to sleep for bed and would last until roughly 5pm the next day. But when I upped the dose to 37.2mg I had a really bad asthma attack, heart pounding and my ears rang which lasted 2 weeks after I discontinued the med. Not a pleasant experience for someone with severe anxiety. Be very cautious. Up the dosage more slowly than the MD recommends. I was to start 50mg/night"

Tacodog (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Misdiagnosed as bipolar when it was GAD. Weaned myself off after severe blood pressure and white blood cell drops. Dr. refused to help me stop this drug and refused to change diagnosis. I weaned myself off - it took almost 3 mos. it's been over a year and my sleep pattern has been destroyed. New doctor has me on Trazadone - 250mg, which I took in the past. Now the Trazadone only keeps me asleep 3-4 hours. White blood cell count and blood pressure have normalized. "

M-Li January 10, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was on citolopram (celexa), lithium 1250 mg daily and olanzapine 20 mg and a lot of benzos. A state run mental health clinic opened in a local town so I stopped seeing the private psychiatrist and started to attend the public clinic. The psychiatrist was revolutionary. She immediately stopped the anti-depressant because it was elevating mood into mania. She dropped lithium to one dose at night to aid kidney wear and tear. She stopped olanzapine because I was still having mild persistent psychosis and put me on 800mg of quetiapine (seroquel). The first week was tough I was very nauseous and sleepy but once my body adjusted it was much better. The mix of quetiapine and lithium is really working for me."

mrsnowe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2016

"I have used this medication in the past with very good results. In fact, I felt so good, I stopped taking it. It took a few months, but my symptoms came back. I was prescribed this medication for bipolar disorder, rapid cycle depression. I recently found myself with extreme panic, agoraphobia and I've been going from elated to depressed every few hours. I resumed the medication @25mg. At night and even the next morning my symptoms abated from a 10 to a 5. This medication takes several weeks to exhibit it's full potential, so if the drowsiness is a side effect you can live with for a month or so, then quetiapine may be for you."

Edward702 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2015

"Only given short term while under section in a mental health ward, but in combination with Olanzapine bought me back from suicidal areas. The only issue I had with it was I felt I was getting dehydrated more than normal."

SamHKz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2015

"I use this as needed. My pyc has agreed to this to reduce manic moods. If you monitor your mood you can catch it and use this as when needed. I think mega high doses taken each day is asking for serious trouble from TD or diabetes. I take a mood stabilizer each day to push the mood up."

ThatJames December 7, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel is amazing for me, I take 100mg in morning and 300 at night"

equare (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have taken a low dose of Seroquel (100mg) for 9 months. Over this time the full on cravings and my weight have slowly crept up on me. I worry if they keep going like this that I may end up with diabetes. I have put on 12kgs extra since I started on March 5th 2015. I also have no feeling down there during sex- just feels like pressure or a massage- I have no enjoyment. I am also on Lithium and Lovan. Neither of these medications have caused these problems in the past. My boyfriend says I have improved since being on this drug. I think I will with the help of my doctor take myself off this drug."

L4uwz5 December 5, 2015

"Initially I hated this drug. It made me tired, run down and at times anxious. I even broke out in cold sores it made me feel so ill. Then at later stages it was a life saver. I want from 25mg to 300mg during terrible hypomamia and mixed episodes, it saved my life. Quitting it was hell you will feel sick and nauseous for weeks. It's a very strong drug and I say for type two bipolar to be used cautiously as its overly strong most of the time. You want to feel normal, not overly drugged as you do with this drug if taken for long periods of time. So for me it's a mixed review."

Type 2 bp December 5, 2015

"I've been on this med for about 2 years now and I must say its prob the best one I have found for my bipolar. It helps me sleep at night also but it does make me super hungry lol I don't mind as I don't really gain weight. I take it around 10pm and I am up by 9-10am in the mornings feeling like I have slept for days. My mood is even better esp when I forget to take them every now and then they still work."

MartianMindHunter December 2, 2015

"I was on quetiapine for a few months. It worked wonders and levelled my mood wonderfully and I was thankful to have something work so effectively. However I suffered from two major side effects; tiredness and weight gain. My doctor and I tried to combat the weight gain and tiredness but in the end I had to change to another medication as we couldn't control it and I was only on 25mg at night. I don't want to put people off as this drug helped me with my mood disorder and I'm sensitive to some side effects."

Amd2 December 1, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Where do I even start? Been fighting my crazy mood and bipolar disorder since I was an adolescent. Was prescribed this years back, and slowly I saw my life start to tangle up. Mood problems got worse, could not feel much remorse or feelings, just dampened emotions that got harder to control. I strongly believe this medicine harmed my mental health during one of the times the brain develops significantly. Been off for exactly a year and still recovering. Finally I can sleep through the night after about 10 months, but still dealing and slowly on the way back from a miserable journey of anxiety, insomnia, and instability. Mood should arguably be stabilized, not muted and worsened by this medication. Be safe"

OnTheWayBack (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel helped with my panic attacks and break downs, but it made me feel lifeless (which I prefer versus crying). However I experienced ever side effect listed and even ended up in the ER! My heart was beating uncontrollably and sharp pains, I thought I was having a heart attack. I had to get monitored for 6 hours. Also I lost strength in moving limbs. It works but too many side effects. "

Oniomania November 27, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder 10 years ago (recently found out it is actually PTSD/c-PTSD) and I was started on 1200mg of serquel. I was a zombie! I didn't want to do anything but sleep. I was so tired all day. One day after taking my medication and then sleeping 10 hours, I then got in my car and was driving somewhere and feel asleep at the wheel. I total my car but luckily I wasn't hurt and no one else was involved. I lost my job. The "best" part though was the 110 pound weight gain I had in less then a year of taking this poison. I've been off of the crap for about 3 years now but still can't drop the weight it caused me to gain. Please be careful if considering taking this drug it almost ruined my life."

Doesmynamereallymatter November 25, 2015