User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by DP0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medicine has really helped with my bipolar. I take 300mg (slow release) every evening and it's really helped balance my moods and ease any depressive episodes. Only side effect is feeling like a zombie if I wake up too early, but it's all about taking the pill at the right time before you sleep. If anything I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had when taken properly.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 29, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month):

I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids.

December 6, 2014 4:00 AM

Review by PaultheComposer:

I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2014 5:34 PM

Review by ECCENTRICAKIRE:

Seroquel (quetiapine): At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully..

November 14, 2014 2:17 AM

Review by kaykay729:

Seroquel (quetiapine): I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life.

November 14, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by Gemini21:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!

November 10, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by mnj34113:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 2:04 AM

Review by Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): When I first went on this medication 300mg I did not like it at all. I had side effects of a type of floating- my head wasn't attached to my body- I'd be disorientated, only for a short time, but frequently at first. I don't really remember any other side effect. I wanted to stop taking this. I was 300 SR then went to normal Seroquel. Being on standard Seroquel helped. I asked to change off Seroquel and was told its a good medicine and just give it time- 6 weeks. Wow, I didn't like that idea. I did give it time, I was tried of a day, so went back to 150mg- over time I've been on 200mg also and now 300mg. I am so grateful to myself for hanging in there. I choose to be on Seroquel, I sleep a deep sleep, for me, I am happy. Very happy.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 11:40 PM

Review by Siri86:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Got diagnosed with bipolar disorder three months ago, and started on Seroquel 50 mg at night. It has helped me a lot, and I feel like a totally different person (in a good way - I've suffered for 10 years!). At first I just thought I was in a "normal" phase (not manic or depressive) - but the depressions usually sneaks up on me after a few weeks when I've felt normal before. Not had any side-effects, other than restless legs syndrome, but I've had that before, so it wasn't a biggie. This side-effect has also almost disappeared after a few months. Was so scared of weight gain, but I watched what I eat, and work out a lot, instead I've gotten skinnier and healthier. Thumbs up! I got my life back!

November 5, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medication has truly saved my life! I have Bipolar 1 and would predominantly suffer from intense periods of mania, lasting up to 6 months. I was completely reckless and out of control in every way. Depression was less common but whenever it hit, I would attempt suicide and have done so three times in my life. However since taking quetapine, I became nearly instantly stable and I am now in Law School. No weight gain at all, not a single pound! However I cant loose weight either. I'm on 200mg daily at the moment.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 11:26 AM

Review by royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Seroquel XR has changed my life! I tried regular Seroquel and it's like having your head in a bucket. The XL version feels like a completely different medicine. I take 100 mg at night. I wake up refreshed, happy, eager to start my day, I also take Lamictal 300 mg in the morning. No side effects from either medicine. I have been on both for about 7 years. I have been depressed once in that time and it was situational.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Seanie:

Seroquel (quetiapine): I've been taking Seroquel for 7 years, after 20 years of delusional thoughts, mania, and large amounts of depression. It worked within two weeks and I noticed that when I woke up each day that my delusional thoughts were getting easier to identify and let go of. It changed my life. Since taking Seroquel, I have been able to learn how to drive, work in permanent jobs, save money, travel overseas, socialise, have a successful relationship and reconnect with the real me. I have also worked on my cognitive and emotional development and continue to attend counselling. I have gained 30kgs, but this has probably come about due to the combination of Seroquel, inactivity, diet and Sleep Apnea (of which I have only just been diagnosed).

October 16, 2014 1:06 AM

Review by Koalamaiden:

Seroquel (quetiapine): When I first took Seroquel, I had the side effects of a type of motion sickness, as my head would whirl about, and I never knew if I was whirling or the surroundings were. I didn't want to stay on it, but was advised to give it longer. And to change from XR to regular. I did, and after about 6 weeks (from memory) I adjusted to it. Yes, I was so tired, went to cut a 300mg into halves, then to 200mg's, now to 300 mg again. Seroquel works for me, I've been on it for approx 18mnths or so. I sleep, my mind doesn't race or think or roam. I get a deep sleep. I was advised to get up early and it will wear off- yes, that happens. But it's not easy.

October 10, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by MissGil (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine has changed my life. I can hardly recognize myself. Much much calmer, not feeling obsessed, maniac or depressed. No racing thoughts. I never thought I could be like that. My life was a chaos. I've tried all different medicines and nothing seemed to help until I tried quetiapine. I am currently taking an antidepressant as well, but it is quetiapine that really makes the difference. I feel like I am fairly normal now.

October 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): This medicine turned me into a zombified eating machine. I put on 30 pounds in one month. It was also extremely sedating.

October 1, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by intent2dement (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I was prescribed 50mg of Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep. It works wonders for that, it didn't help much with my anxiety. I also take 1,000mg of Depakote per day and 20mg of Dexedrine ER for ADHD. The Depakote is no longer effective enough and my doctor is thinking about switching me to Lithium.

September 24, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by 0rdinarymadness:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel helped my paranoia and really kept me mentally stable, but I also was tired all the time, sometimes sleeping for 15 hours a day. I also gained 30 pounds within three months of being on Seroquel. I wouldn't recommend this medicine for anyone who does not wish to rapidly gain weight.

September 24, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by AnonAnonAnon:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Somewhat hit or miss on mania, racing thoughts and the like. Pretty effective as a sleep aid though. Currently taking 300mg as needed as it was mainly prescribed for sleep. It is as effective as benzodiazepines in that regard, without the benzo withdrawal. It does leave me feeling gritty and nasty the next morning though, but it's better than insomnia.

September 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by dashyingon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Removed my mania symptoms and I've never felt like I'm going back to the highs. Helped with depression but this is along side vigorous exercise. Take it at night 250mg and I sleep all night. Unfortunately the biggest side effect I have is extreme tiredness the next morning and it can last a few hours. It feels like a minor hangover each day.

August 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by Barb E (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It helps me feel calm and be able to sleep. I have a tendency to stay up too late at night and when I do my legs get restless and I have to go to bed and I sleep well. I have occasional abnormal dreams and a small problem emptying my bladder completely. All in all though it is improving my life. I also take Strattera and Lamotrigine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by Gome:

This has been a horrible experience. I have gained too much weight I am more depressed then ever. This medicine says it is prescribed for me for sleep. First few nights absolutely true. Now all I get is restless legs, intense food cravings and it is physically hard to get up. Terrible constipation. Which leads to feeling extremely bloated. No drive or motivation whatsoever. My doctor thinks I should stay on this poison. I am going on a vacation in a couple months, this 40lb weight gain is really stressing me out. I will see if she will prescribe Adderall which I used before quit cold turkey and felt no withdrawals. The only reason I give it a 2 is that it has helped insomnia

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by sln75 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel has been a life saver for me. I am bipolar and have Tourette syndrome. I was first introduced to this medication 2 years ago after a suicide attempt landed me in the hospital. Since being on this medication my Tourette's is manageable and I have not been in the hospital since. I am stable as long as I am compliant. I have experienced weight gain but I have reevaluated my diet and started an exercise program in which I am down to my goal weight and keeping it there. All in all I am blessed to have found this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by bill3746 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take Seroquel when required for anxiety and it works! I used to take Klonopin (and have been through the cycle of benzodiazapines) and it caused significant memory problems, of which it makes me very angry. I don't have the memory problems with the Seroquel and it totally stomps out my anxiety. I take 25mg and it has worked great. The drawback to this medication is that it makes me hungry. I am trying to maintain a healthy weight (and lose some weight as well).

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate