User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by MissGil (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medicine has changed my life. I can hardly recognize myself. Much much calmer, not feeling obsessed, maniac or depressed. No racing thoughts. I never thought I could be like that. My life was a chaos. I've tried all different medicines and nothing seemed to help until I tried quetiapine. I am currently taking an antidepressant as well, but it is quetiapine that really makes the difference. I feel like I am fairly normal now.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): This medicine turned me into a zombified eating machine. I put on 30 pounds in one month. It was also extremely sedating.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by intent2dement (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I was prescribed 50mg of Seroquel at bedtime to help sleep. It works wonders for that, it didn't help much with my anxiety. I also take 1,000mg of Depakote per day and 20mg of Dexedrine ER for ADHD. The Depakote is no longer effective enough and my doctor is thinking about switching me to Lithium.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by 0rdinarymadness:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel helped my paranoia and really kept me mentally stable, but I also was tired all the time, sometimes sleeping for 15 hours a day. I also gained 30 pounds within three months of being on Seroquel. I wouldn't recommend this medicine for anyone who does not wish to rapidly gain weight.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 12:11 PM

Review by Stefconradical (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Worked but made me drowsy and put on weight

September 23, 2014 3:07 PM

Review by AnonAnonAnon:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Somewhat hit or miss on mania, racing thoughts and the like. Pretty effective as a sleep aid though. Currently taking 300mg as needed as it was mainly prescribed for sleep. It is as effective as benzodiazepines in that regard, without the benzo withdrawal. It does leave me feeling gritty and nasty the next morning though, but it's better than insomnia.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by dashyingon (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Removed my mania symptoms and I've never felt like I'm going back to the highs. Helped with depression but this is along side vigorous exercise. Take it at night 250mg and I sleep all night. Unfortunately the biggest side effect I have is extreme tiredness the next morning and it can last a few hours. It feels like a minor hangover each day.

August 27, 2014 12:02 PM

Review by Barb E (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It helps me feel calm and be able to sleep. I have a tendency to stay up too late at night and when I do my legs get restless and I have to go to bed and I sleep well. I have occasional abnormal dreams and a small problem emptying my bladder completely. All in all though it is improving my life. I also take Strattera and Lamotrigine.

August 1, 2014 7:23 PM

Review by Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues.

July 24, 2014 4:56 AM

Review by Gome:

This has been a horrible experience. I have gained too much weight I am more depressed then ever. This medicine says it is prescribed for me for sleep. First few nights absolutely true. Now all I get is restless legs, intense food cravings and it is physically hard to get up. Terrible constipation. Which leads to feeling extremely bloated. No drive or motivation whatsoever. My doctor thinks I should stay on this poison. I am going on a vacation in a couple months, this 40lb weight gain is really stressing me out. I will see if she will prescribe Adderall which I used before quit cold turkey and felt no withdrawals. The only reason I give it a 2 is that it has helped insomnia

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by sln75 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel has been a life saver for me. I am bipolar and have Tourette syndrome. I was first introduced to this medication 2 years ago after a suicide attempt landed me in the hospital. Since being on this medication my Tourette's is manageable and I have not been in the hospital since. I am stable as long as I am compliant. I have experienced weight gain but I have reevaluated my diet and started an exercise program in which I am down to my goal weight and keeping it there. All in all I am blessed to have found this medication.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by bill3746 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I take Seroquel when required for anxiety and it works! I used to take Klonopin (and have been through the cycle of benzodiazapines) and it caused significant memory problems, of which it makes me very angry. I don't have the memory problems with the Seroquel and it totally stomps out my anxiety. I take 25mg and it has worked great. The drawback to this medication is that it makes me hungry. I am trying to maintain a healthy weight (and lose some weight as well).

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 9:38 AM

Review by JesusFreak1967:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel has worked wonderful for me so far! Levels out my ups and downs. No racing thoughts. Doesn't make me aggressive. Helps with my post traumatic stress disorder also!

June 16, 2014 8:16 AM

Review by eguzman8586 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine): When first diagnosed another medication was prescribed. I then researched Seroquel. Being an insomniac I asked my PVC if I could try it. It made life so much easier. I began to control my agitation with others. I used to fly off the handle and what I call "my crazy" would come out. If looks could kill I would be guilty of numerous killings. I am able to be in situations that are less than desirable without offending anyone. It was a challenge being around others who were not as intelligent and immature whereas now I recognize how I should interact with them. My true personality is seen rather than the perception that followed me for the majority of my life.

June 11, 2014 1:20 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): Helps you stable and calm

June 4, 2014 3:51 PM

Review by pookie babe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I was on Seroquel for a year. I was fat, no energy, restless leg syndrome and elevated glucose. Seroquel has too many serious side effects.

April 30, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): Took for bipolar. Good side effects: more or less consistently put me to sleep every night. Bad side effects: gained roughly 20 lbs 6 months in, had a difficult time getting up every day, needed more sleep than usual. It helped for awhile, but it mostly made my episodes less severe, did not effectively stop or prevent them.

April 10, 2014 3:38 PM

Review by Thecircusrules (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine): Prescribed 600mg for bipolar 1, first three weeks nasty but stick with it these side effects disappear. Taken alongside lithium and I have never felt so well in over 20 years, awesome.

April 10, 2014 6:46 AM

Review by i2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel is amazing for me, gave me good nights sleep, calms me down. I take 800 mg along with Tegretol 800 mg.

April 7, 2014 11:51 AM

Review by The Neon Scibble:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): Aching or discomfort in the lower legs or sensation of crawling in the legs, unusual tiredness or weakness, dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position, muscle pain or cramps.

March 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by littlelor:

Seroquel (quetiapine): Seroquel gave me my life back, calms me down and helps me think clearly during the day, and helps me sleep well during the night. Makes your mouth a bit dry and makes you hungry often but definitely worth it.

March 15, 2014 5:43 AM

Review by HappyBella (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I was off meds for awhile and thought I was fine - nope! Had a manic episode. I take 100 to 150mg of Seroquel at night. Before this, I took Geodon and lost weight, but I had uncontrollable muscle movements, I didn't want to switch but my family was embarrassed by my non stop hand movements. I switched to Seroquel and feel a million times better. I sleep great (used to not sleep for days). BUT, I have gained 40 lbs. I wake up the next morning and see what I ate the night before and get so irritated with myself. It makes me want to eat everything bad for me. If I don't eat, it's like an itch I can't scratch. I don't feel foggy, but well rested...then again, I sleep till 8 or 9am. To me, it's worth the weight gain to feel stable.

March 7, 2014 3:58 PM

Review by playboybuddyrose (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine): I take 400 mg Seroquel at bedtime. I sleep a lot better but as far as my bipolar symptoms I see no real difference.

February 28, 2014 5:49 PM

Review by PSYCHERN:

I am 59 years old, worked as a psych nurse for 28 years & am bipolar. My symptoms manifest in severe depression, anxiety & insomnia so bad I retired early. I have now been on Seroquel for 6 years & in combination with Lamictal * Requip I have been able to enjoy life, sleep well and managed well as an outpatient. Seroquel is for me a miracle. I spent many years addicted to Xanax & other benzodiazepines in a futile attempt to sleep & decrease the anxiety. I know that many psyche meds were originally meant to treat other illnesses & found to be beneficial in others so I feel extremely fortunate to finally have a medicine that works! I often joke with my friends that whoever discovered this medicine should get a Nobel Prize in medicine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by Macca d:

Seroquel (quetiapine): I take Seroquel for bipolar, I had side effects when first taking it such as couldn't wake in the morning and sluggish, it took me a couple of months to get used to it, now I take it at about 10.30pm asleep within 20 mins and up at about 8.30 am, well rested, it has been great for my mania, which can last weeks at a time. I feel so normal again, I take 100mg a night with 600mg of Tegrotol you just have to give it time to do it's thing, the side effects go away. I have no weight gain at all on Tegrotol, it's the opposite, I'm losing weight.

January 8, 2014 7:14 AM