User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 106 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 510 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by Thadius (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: It's a wonderful knock out punch if everything else has failed, or if you've taken something like Ambien and it stops working. For me Ambien was great until it stopped working, I then tried Trazodone but that didn't help much. Seroquel is an antipsychotic but at small doses (25-50mg) it only hits histamine receptors so its like a large dose of Benadryl- but much better then Benadryl. Only downside is that it is a little hard to get out of bed the next day but you will sleep like a bear so it's worth it. Takes about an hour to an hour and a half to kick in and 25 mg does the trick for me. Also, there is no weight gain at small doses so that's nice too.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by gertie67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Gained excessive amounts of weight. Made me feel catatonic.

March 24, 2013 11:39 AM

Review by colintaughy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I've always had trouble sleeping since a young age I used to put it down to napping at days and watching T.V all night but as I grew older I realized sleep is almost impossible. I've tried these pills a few times and they seem to help better than Zopiclone and other medicines for sleep disorders.

March 11, 2013 7:43 PM

Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I had great success at doses of 200-400mg. Anything above that and I black out an hour after taking it. I found out later I had been writing belligerent texts, yelling at my children, and verbally abusing my wife. Im going to ask for 300mg since it helped my insomnia, and made me content and happy the next day. All without the horrible side effects listed above. I have tried Geodon, it gave me severe tachycardia, and yet made me too tired to function. A horrible inescapable feeling as the tachycardia made sleep impossible. Zyprexa just made me fat and gave me restless legs so bad I couldn't sleep. Seroquel is best by far, but have your loved ones monitor you.

March 11, 2013 11:59 AM

Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed 200-700mg for bipolar with psychotic features. At 200-400mg I slept well and woke up happy and felt content. Some symptoms remained, thus the increase to 700mg. At that level I had nightly blackouts where I would write belligerent texts to loved ones at night, and have no memory of it. I was horrified to learn of it later. I've tried Geodon and Zyprexa with bad results like drooling somnolence and tachycardia. Next doctor visit I will ask to be put on 300 Seroquel. I had good results at that level, and wish to return to that. Looking forward to it. I'm not on any anti-psychotic currently and I feel anxious.

March 11, 2013 1:22 AM

Review by NattyBoo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar II about 5 yrs ago and I've tried everything on the market nothing worked for me except Seroquel. Right now I take 300 mg twice per day and I'm so stable. I'm loving it problem though with Seroquel is that its a major weight gainer. I would stop taking it on and off when I felt better but then would use other meds to bandage my symptoms...get back on then off again...until one day I decided to stop with the denial and allow someone to help me for real. I've been on it now faithfully for 9 months...but I've put on 60lbs! It makes me eat after hours in the middle of the night. I'm depressed because of the weight gain. So I workout at home at times trying to be more consistent. You have to work this medicine.

March 8, 2013 11:56 PM

Review by AnonymousIndian:

For Depression: I was prescribed Seroquel along with an antidepressant for mild depression. It helps with insomnia but pretty much knocks you out for 24 hours. You don't feel the energy to do any work. And the weight gain was pretty bad. I gained 40 lb in 11 months of this medication. Right now I am coming off it and feeling better.

March 7, 2013 1:24 AM

Review by Matty A (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Slight improvement in mood, yet still witness episodes of bipolarity/depression, sometimes lasting more than 24 hrs in duration (previously these episodes could last a week or more) not so down and out all the time, negative effect on sexual 'drive', no real urge to even engage with the opposite sex, let alone participate in sexual activity

March 6, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Kat34 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I have been taking between 150-300mg of quetiapine for 5 years. This medicine has transformed my life and combined with venlafaxine it keeps my depression, anxiety and anorexia at bay. The tiredness is a small price to pay for being able to work full time and greatly reduce the need for psych admissions.

March 3, 2013 12:32 PM

Review by freednerd (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Took for bipolar disorder (for the depression). In small doses, this caused me to be too sleepy to function. When I took a large dose at night however, it knocked me out and I was good the next day. This really did help with the depression and mood swings. However, it caused significant weight gain. I had to stop taking this when a job had ended and I no longer had insurance. I fought insomnia for around 6 months, but after that time was finally able to sleep again and the weight came out. I would recommend this for someone who really needs it, but not until other medicines have been tried first with no success.

February 27, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by JJJ2405:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have found Seroquel to be very helpful in my life. I was on high antidepressant medicines but gave those up. The Seroquel helps me lead a normal life by allowing me to sleep and calm down after long working hours in a high demand job. I take 100mg before dinner which helps my appetite also. I would not take Seroquel during the day as I feel it would inhibit my ability to communicate at work. From what I've read some interpolate the effects of the medicines in differing ways but I can honestly say it has saved me from a very dark place. Expensive but worth the cost.

February 23, 2013 12:57 AM

Review by country mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: I was prescribed this for paranoid Psychosis and depression. At first I was to take a half of a 100mg tablet at night for a week then raise to the whole pill. After taking the half the first night at eight and feeling drunk I decided this might not be for me so I cut the half in half and take a quarter pill a night. It has helped me sleep and seems to curve my over thinking things and thinking that every comment or conversation on social media is about me. I think also by getting off social media altogether it also helped my situation. But overall good medication, it's the only thing I take.

February 21, 2013 4:55 PM

Review by one more (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I took Seroquel for a year and a half. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I can say for the most part the medicine did help me. I was taking 50mgs because I have kids. It helped me along with therapy to deal with my depression. I had to stop.

February 21, 2013 3:39 PM

Review by roch123 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Have been taking it for a few years. Now on 300mg a night I used to be on 600mg. I sleep most nights but wake up every couple of hours every night. Some nights I have to drink hot milk to get me to sleep. I wish I could just sleep the whole night through. I have most side effects and weight gain. I wish they could bring out an antipsychotic that gives you a fast metabolism.

February 7, 2013 1:19 AM

Review by BPD_Battle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed this for sleep and my doctor told me it has multiple uses and can be used for Bi Polar as well. Unfortunately this medication causes auditory hallucinations I am a 24 year old male and I will have to have a talk with my doctor about this.

February 5, 2013 12:49 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar problems and I'm taking 500mg Seroquel prolong once a day. It really has helped me on my mood swings. It's been five years now and I'm on methadone treatment too. I don't have any problems, I sleep pretty good now and I'm more stable.

February 5, 2013 11:24 AM

Review by dd42yhd:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have found Seroquel extremely helpful for my anxiety. I take a low dose and within the hour my anxiety is gone and it also helps me sleep better. The only BAD thing I have to say about it is I've had vision problems and my doctor and eye doctor believe its related the to Seroquel.

January 28, 2013 7:26 AM

Review by Ori (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was one of the unlucky ones who's prolactin levels skyrocketed. I was only on 100mg, with a plan to ramp my way up to 500 over the course of 10 weeks, which was obviously vetoed when my chest started swelling quite noticeably. Lactation isn't worth what's essentially only a sleeping pill at <500mg doses.

January 19, 2013 7:39 PM

Review by gtbaker:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I take Seroquel for schizo-affective disorder. I also take Prolixin in addition to that and an anti-depressant. I have had schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder for about 4 years now. The reason I name both schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder is because I go in and out of delusions that seem very real, but I have discerned to just brush most of them off as normal things I interpret as conspiracies or straight out someone wishing me to be dead. It can be fairly scary but it has made me much stronger and now I still constantly get the voices but no longer do I go months, day after day, of thinking someone out there has it in for me or other delusions. Seroquel, in my opinion has made me much less paranoid.

January 18, 2013 2:54 PM

Review by Whimpy23:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Completely non functional, just not for me, I cut the 25 mg ones into Quarters, ONLY if I'm a little too hyper before I go to sleep.

January 9, 2013 5:25 AM

Review by amazing for insomnia (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I've taken Seroquel for 6 years now. It works wonders for my chronic insomnia problems. No side effects for me thus far.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2013 6:16 AM

Review by shygirl346:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Was prescribed this for voices and insomnia but is making sleep life and awake life a complete blur!

January 4, 2013 9:28 PM

Review by lamurphy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: The 25mg dose has worked well to help me sleep with no detectable side effects.

January 4, 2013 2:07 PM

Review by lynnpl (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been in and out of mental health clinics for a long time..just trying to find something to slow my racing thoughts and make me feel like life is bearable. I've taken benzodiazepines..only to become drug seeking and take too many and need early refils, thereby being forced by prescriber to wean off. Done SSRI's with no effect whatsoever. Remeron made me gain 40 pounds in like 2 months time and didn't help me sleep. Marijuana made me paranoid. I just started some new therapy and was diagnosed with bipolar 2 and post traumatic stress disorder. She gave me Seroquel XR and my mind is calm and I sleep good on it. I'm still on a pretty low dose..going up to 100mg tonight and then 150mg on 2 days. Just hope I don't gain weight but so far I feel productive and my mind is quiet.

December 29, 2012 10:16 AM

Review by lolabean (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been prescribed Quetiapine for just over 2 weeks. I am on a low dose at the moment (50mg) daily and an extra 25mg if required for bad days. I have had years of depression, racing thoughts, suicidal thoughts, irrational behaviour patterns, manic episodes, extreme spending and impulsive major decisions. Although I have spent the last 12 years on anti-depressants, it is only very recently that the psychiatrist is treating me for bi-polar. The first 10 days were magic, deep sleeps, vivid dreams and no more racing thoughts, I seemed to deal with things better, more rational with my thinking. IT was the best I have been for years and years. But the last few days I have cried a lot and been very depressed, self loathing and quite snappy.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate