User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

6.6
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 11 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 625 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Insomnia: "25mg for insomnia. I always used to fall asleep and have a sound sleep until 3 am. Comes 3 am. I used to wake up and stay awake until 5 or 6 am. This compromised my day. My experience is to take Seroquel before 1 am. I get 8 or 9 hours of sleep every night. If I wake up, I am sure to fall asleep right away. On the flip side, I believe I became addicted to Seroquel to the point that if I even miss one night I don't sleep well. Oh well it's a tradeoff I guess."

prairie dog (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 20, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have only recently been diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder but I have suffered it's effects my whole life. More recently I had an episode where it was necessary to be admitted to hospital extreme agitation/hyperactivity and suicidal and self harm thoughts. I was started on 12.5mg three times a day in hospital but on discharge was advised that I could take up to 25mg three times a day as I felt necessary. So far I've only needed 12.5mg two times a day, occasionally with an extra dose at night or a stronger dose in the morning for bad days. I've found the groggy feelings wore off after a couple weeks and I'm so balanced now. Seroquel has changed my life."

spazpen August 19, 2014

For Insomnia: "I had severe depression and could not sleep at all. My husband can testify that I could be awake for 4 days in a row. I had anxiety attacks. I was on Cymbalta, Lamotrigine and Molipaxin. But the depression stayed and my sleep did not improve at all. I was hospitalized 3 times in less than 3 years. The last time I was gradually put on bigger doses of Serequel - up to 400g. The last 2 days I slept through the whole night - deep sleep! I have been on it for more than 5 years. I drink it at night -about an hour before I want to sleep. I have slept every night. My mood has been stable all these years - no depression , anxiety attacks or weight gain. I do have difficulty getting "fully awake " in the morning. But I would rather have this "side effect"."

michellemari (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 5, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "It helps me feel calm and be able to sleep. I have a tendency to stay up too late at night and when I do my legs get restless and I have to go to bed and I sleep well. I have occasional abnormal dreams and a small problem emptying my bladder completely. All in all though it is improving my life. I also take Strattera and Lamotrigine."

Barb E (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have been on 25 mg of Seroquel and .5 mg Klonopin for 11 years for chronic insomnia. This combination has been wonderful, and I haven't noticed any side effects. However, my insurance will not cover the cost."

costly (taken for 10 years or more) July 29, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've only been on Seroquel for 2/3 weeks but I have had a largely positive experience. I have had a diagnosis of depression for about ten years and was using Cipralex (Lexapro). I came off Cipralex twice, and both times I became very depressed. Even on Cipralex my mood was constantly changing so I went to see a psychiatrist who thinks I may have Cyclothymia or bipolar 2 so started me on 50mg of Seroquel. Initially I was very groggy but have gotten over that. I've also gained a stone in weight. But my mood has really stabilised for the first time. I feel happy, confident and passionate. I no longer have a million thoughts in my head so can focus better. Hopefully this continues."

Brian Cairns (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "This has been a horrible experience. I have gained too much weight I am more depressed then ever. This medicine says it is prescribed for me for sleep. First few nights absolutely true. Now all I get is restless legs, intense food cravings and it is physically hard to get up. Terrible constipation. Which leads to feeling extremely bloated. No drive or motivation whatsoever. My doctor thinks I should stay on this poison. I am going on a vacation in a couple months, this 40lb weight gain is really stressing me out. I will see if she will prescribe Adderall which I used before quit cold turkey and felt no withdrawals. The only reason I give it a 2 is that it has helped insomnia"

Gome July 22, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been taking quetiapine 25mg day and night for about a month now. I find it is great for taking away anxiety, but I am so so tired could sleep the clock round. I'm also on 20 mg Cipralex for depression. I have no energy to do anything. "

Darcyb July 16, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel has been a life saver for me. I am bipolar and have Tourette syndrome. I was first introduced to this medication 2 years ago after a suicide attempt landed me in the hospital. Since being on this medication my Tourette's is manageable and I have not been in the hospital since. I am stable as long as I am compliant. I have experienced weight gain but I have reevaluated my diet and started an exercise program in which I am down to my goal weight and keeping it there. All in all I am blessed to have found this medication."

sln75 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2014

For Insomnia: "I'm 31. I've been diagnosed with depression several times. Gradually, as I got older, I was having more and more trouble falling asleep. Eventually I would be awake all night and then fall asleep some time in the afternoon or maybe the next next evening. It was a very bad situation for me. Eventually I got on 50 mg of Seroquel and and now I sleep well every night for about nine months or so. I have very little side effects from Seroquel; I get restless legs and it makes me a little irritable about a half hour before I get drowsy. I lost like 25 pounds once I started sleeping again. "

Hacksaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "I have taken a simple anti-depressant such as Effexor for years. I never felt they fully did the job. When talking to my Dr. one day, I told her my sleep patterns were horrible, with insomnia, or awaking early. She suggested Seroquel as an additive. I have been on it for about a year, and I have never felt so rested. I have a better focus. I even think it has really helped my depression a bit. Yes, it does increase my appetite a bit , but I try to eat healthy foods and walk. You must take it a full 8 hours before you want to awake, or you may be droggy. I am really satisfied."

Byrd Mama (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Vietnam, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) went FUBAR 15 years ago. That's the first time I contacted the VA or even heard of PTSD. One severe symptom was inability to sleep. VA was very slow to give me an appointment so I went to a private shrink who got me on Seroquel. VA has kept me on it since. Taking this, I have been able to get a good night's sleep every night since. Since then and to this date, if I forget to take it, I either can't fall asleep at all or doze off for about 45 min, then wake up wide awake, and can't get back to sleep . The FDA hasn't approved this for PTSD sleep disorders, but should do so immediately. I've had no side effects whatsoever, unlike many other medicines I've been on/off for PTSD."

LZ Bronco (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take Seroquel when required for anxiety and it works! I used to take Klonopin (and have been through the cycle of benzodiazapines) and it caused significant memory problems, of which it makes me very angry. I don't have the memory problems with the Seroquel and it totally stomps out my anxiety. I take 25mg and it has worked great. The drawback to this medication is that it makes me hungry. I am trying to maintain a healthy weight (and lose some weight as well)."

bill3746 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I went to a psychiatrist last week for post traumatic stress disorder having been diagnosed by the VA when I retired. I was put on 50 mg quetiapine. While in two days my lifetime nail biting ceased and I feel less anxious I am tired as heck."

SGM June 22, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Feeling depressed, cried first thing I woke up."

lipo (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel has worked wonderful for me so far! Levels out my ups and downs. No racing thoughts. Doesn't make me aggressive. Helps with my post traumatic stress disorder also!"

JesusFreak1967 June 16, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I have only been on Seroquel 25 mg for just over a week. So I cannot say if I will experience the weight gain or not. But so far this is the best thing that's worked for me. I was horrifically depressed and anxious for over a year, and before that moderately. But after just 1 days on the Seroquel I felt a huge difference. My thoughts had slowed down, my anxiety and depression got cut in half, my appreciation of time and continuity came back a bit, the disassociation was appeased. For the past year I felt like I was on one giant bad paranoia trip, and only after I started taking this medicine did I feeling normal again. There are still major things that are a problem, but the Seroquel makes it way more manageable."

sarrakii (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "Now I realize my experience is somewhat limited, but if my doctor had not prescribed it for me about four days ago, I might be typing from a rubber room. Because of certain very stressful life events, I began to experience insomnia about two months ago. For those two months, I was getting approximately 3 hours of fragmented sleep a night. I started taking 50 mgs of this medicine four nights ago, and I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep per night. This medicine broke the anxiety > insomnia > anxiety > insomnia cycle. Once you're in the circle of that cyclical hell, it's very difficult to break out of it."

Rip Van Winkle (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2014

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "When first diagnosed another medication was prescribed. I then researched Seroquel. Being an insomniac I asked my PVC if I could try it. It made life so much easier. I began to control my agitation with others. I used to fly off the handle and what I call "my crazy" would come out. If looks could kill I would be guilty of numerous killings. I am able to be in situations that are less than desirable without offending anyone. It was a challenge being around others who were not as intelligent and immature whereas now I recognize how I should interact with them. My true personality is seen rather than the perception that followed me for the majority of my life."

eguzman8586 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2014

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been taking this medicine for a little over two years, but I recently stopped. It is a WONDERFUL medicine for doing what it's supposed to do: making you sleep and stopping your racing thoughts. I don't regret taking it, because I badly needed it at the time. However, this medicine has HORRIBLE side effects. For me, they outweigh the benefits. I developed an intestinal problem, high blood sugar, and gained over 30 pounds that I could not lose no matter what I tried. I also feel like my mind is slower, and I can no longer retain as much information. I would not recommend taking this medication long term. There are also other negative effects that I was lucky enough not to experience."

MinnieMouse00 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Helps you stable and calm"

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "50 mg a night & I can sleep through the night. As soon as I skip a dose my panic comes right back. The only downside is I'm tired all day from it but unable to nap."

BrianaG May 30, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : "I find this medicine not only helps control my (chronic)pain but also gives me more energy, alertness and concentration. Bizarre but true."

Mumcat2 (taken for 10 years or more) May 20, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Calms and suppresses when having any kind of attack, anxiety or overwhelming depression."

tgr82 May 19, 2014

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I found Seroquel(quetiapine) to be the best medicine for me it really helped my thoughts slow down and allowed me to regain control of my thoughts/emotions, it also helped with my insomnia which was an added benefit. I also take an antidepressant and it seems to work well with it as I used to get bad headaches from the antidepressant alone but since adding Seroquel to it I no longer get these headaches. I guess if I had to say one negative thing about it, it does seem to increase my appetite /possible weight gain but I feel the benefits outweigh the negative as the increased appetite/mild weight gain can be controlled by eating healthy and exercise. Overall a great medication for me."

drew742 May 5, 2014