User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 114 reviews 102 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 538 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by StableandGreatful:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have had Bipolar one for 8 years now. I use 50 mg of Seroquel, with 100 mg Lamictal, and 900 mg of Trileptal. Seroquel is great for sleep, which is critical for me. I also use good sleep hygiene with the Seroquel to make sure I get my 8 hours every single night. I am managing my bipolar very well, and for this I am very thankful to these medicines.

July 30, 2013 10:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel XR consistently for almost a year. I recently decided to try to lower my dose from 200mg/night to 100mg/night because I'm fed up with the weight gain (diet/exercise don't seem to do much to combat it), but I began to feel unstable a few days after lowering the dose. On Seroquel XR I am content, even-tempered, not very anxious, no paranoia, no self-harm thoughts, but when I mess with the dosage or stop it entirely I quickly remember why I take it. I instantly begin to assume that others don't care about me, to feel lonely, impulsive, and very down for no reason. I'm hoping to switch to a medication with a similar mechanism as Seroquel XR without the weight gain...(Geodon...?)

July 23, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Cor3 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I sleep much better with Seroquel. I have anxiety and sleep like a baby. I take 25mg and find myself clear headed, calmer and refreshed in the morning. I read about the side effects and am concerned, although do not experience the weight gain. I watch how much I eat and may get some water retention from it but that is it. My weight has only gained a few pounds, if any. I do worry about eye problems. I had my first experience with an ocular migraine a few months ago and wondering if that is related to this medicine.

July 23, 2013 1:01 AM

Review by natalie alyshea (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I am on this medicine for insomnia, works very well, I sleep like a baby on it. I sleep right through the night, would recommended to anyone, however I've found with me that I have to take it with lots of water to get a much quicker effect. Other than that its amazing, where would I be without it.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Broken mind (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I started on quetiapine nearly 5 months ago after switching from chlorpromazine for the mood stabilizing properties. I'm on 600mg of the XR version nightly. It took a nearly 2 months for me to notice an effect but once it did take effect there was a great difference. I went from being incredibly low with repeated drinking, self harm & hospital admissions to a deep stability I haven't experienced in years. I've not self harmed now for 3 months & also quit drinking alcohol. My mood is on very much an even keel with no extreme highs & lows. I'm just happy at a normal level & enjoying life & am dealing with things so much better. Only negative is slight weight gain but it's a price I'm willing to pay for this stability.

July 3, 2013 5:46 PM

Review by srrandall (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel is fantastic. I've been taking it for bipolar and inability to sleep. The only problem I've had is severe restless leg syndrome. That side effect is knocked out by 2 mg of Requip.

June 28, 2013 4:31 AM

Review by nikkkiii (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: It worked well, my moods were more stable. The only downfall was that I gained 20 pounds. As a bulimic and anorexic this terrified me. I ended up going off of it to lose the weight.

June 24, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Arnyswan:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Works well, it has helped me out a lot.

June 18, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by HT-L:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar II. It took until I was 41 years old before I found quetiapine. I am far more stable on this medicine than anything else I've tried. The only side effect is extreme drowsiness which kicks in 45 minutes after taking my medicines, and makes it tough to function the next morning! If that's the trade off for profound depression or uncontrollable candy coloured highs, I'll take it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have had depression since I was a child but I didn't start getting help for it until I was 19. I have tried Prozac and Celexa which did nothing for me and then my doctor asked me if I have ever heard of a medicine called Seroquel XR. I started out on 50mg and then worked my way up to 300mg. The only side effects for me were weight gain and drowsiness but the drowsiness went away after a couple of months of using this medicine. Overall I really like this medicine. It has helped me tremendously!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Review by StayinAlive (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar I Disorder, and was prescribed Seroquel for insomnia and anxiety. At only 25mg, it helps me sleep like a baby. I get 8 hours of the most restful sleep I have ever had. It also helps with the racing thoughts and screaming voices in my head. I cannot thank God enough for bringing this medication into my life.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 5, 2013 12:58 PM

Review by VUser (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I've been on quetiapine XR 50mg for almost 2 months mow and it's been great, no anxiety and my head is clear. HOWEVER, I have missed one dose of it once and started having bad heartburn with constant feeling of hunger and I think it's because of that. So, I will probably stop taking it, although I really don't want to.

June 5, 2013 2:11 AM

Review by Gwendollyn (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been on Seroquel XR for almost 2 years now, and am at a dose of 400mg. If I drop down to 300mg I become unstable in my mood again. This medication has helped me become stable, I rarely become "high", due to this I have not self-harmed in a year and 6 months. The weight gain has made me uncomfortable, especially considering that the medication can make me very hungry. However, my weight has now stabilized and I ave a BMI of 28, so its not too bad. I still become very angry sometimes, but attribute this to my own behaviour and coping mechanisms. Overall, this has given me my life back. My family and friends have noticed the change in me and I feel that I can appear "normal".

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2013 1:14 PM

Review by BABYGIRL1178 (taken for 10 years or more):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar when I was 14 years old I am now 34 years old. I have been many different medications for my bipolar. Seroquel has been a wonderful medication. I take 1000mg at bedtime. I have been on it for almost 16 years. It works well for me.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 3:15 AM

Review by TOC Wildcat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: After taking Seroquel for 5 months at 25 mg, I recently upped it to 50 mg at night-time. This has resulted in me being able to drop my Ativian from 2 mg to 1 mg and still get a great sleep. I am much more productive, think clearly and feel positive. I feel like my personality is coming back. Coincidence? I think not.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Dvjslj:

For Insomnia: I just started on 100mg at bedtime. I slept pretty good.

May 22, 2013 9:54 PM

Review by Johnramone23yrs:

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Seroquel is an awesome medication for sleeping and some anxiety. Sometimes it's hard to say what I'm feeling because, I feel like an atomic bomb or something. I have ADHD, Bipolar 1, and obsessive compulsive disorder. Seroquel is great, I can see it doing wonders if I just had one thing. Was taking Adderall so when I took Seroquel I got schizophrenia at night like hearing and seeing things. Fun.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2013 2:40 AM

Review by Jadey23:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have just recently been taking this tablet I'm on a low dose 50mg I have been taking the tablet for 4 nights now so it's hard to really say much yet but this is what I have noticed I'm thinking much more normal now, I'm not agitated in stressful situations, I'm calmer than what I would normally be considering, I used to have suicidal thoughts everyday for the last couple of weeks since being on the medication I haven't thought about suicide and its got me up out of my slump and me doing things more productive I also was comfort eating when depress when I was not on medicines and now I feel I'm getting control and I'm not spending or making rash decisions or eating when I'm not hungry. I think quetiapine is helping I feel more balanced.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2013 1:27 AM

Review by HelloItsHolly:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been on quetiapine for just over a year now for Borderline Personality Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. For the first 3 months all I did was sleep as I was 700mg, lost 2 stone then I got used to it and put weight back on, after lowering the dose 2 months later I was fine. I am now on 100mg, still have the odd problem and only been in hospital once more, I still see things and compared to how I was last year I am a completely different person. I'm a lot calmer, the voices in my head have calmed down, the feelings of intense rage have reduced and I can now talk to people. Only downsides, weight gain and my sex drive has fallen completely.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 13, 2013 5:30 PM

Review by nickneneen:

For Insomnia: This does the job for mellowing you out then out you will be like a light. It makes you very hungry though and you may find it tricky at first getting out of bed at high doses. If you need a sleep this is perfect, remember its not the quantity of the sleep its the quality. This for sure gives you the quality.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 11:13 AM

Review by maybeimadreamer:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I take this medication for Bipolar II and it has been amazing at stabilizing my moods. I no longer feel filled with rage and irritability and no longer have issues with impulsive thoughts. The big problem that I am having with this medication is horrendous weight gain. I exercise at least three times a week and eat well, yet I have gained 20kg (44.09 pounds) in the 8 months that I have been on this medicine. Another issue I have is vivid dreams. But I think this is just a sign of getting deep and sound sleep - something I could never achieve prior to taking this medicine. It is amazing but a nightmare all rolled into one.

May 9, 2013 8:20 AM

Review by meddavies (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on 600mg along with 20mg of olanzapinne and 150mg of amitryptyline. I still get mood swings - not to the same extent as before but I still get them. Sometimes I find it hard to be around other people because my mood reflects theirs so I try to keep away. On a couple of occasions I've been on a high and I've invited the local homeless to crash at my flat; both times I was robbed while asleep. I'm considering Lithium as an alternative to my current medications but I don't see my psychiatrist for another month so I'll let you know then if there's any change.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 12:44 AM

Review by Emma (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I was put on 25mg of Seroquel at age 15 due to major depression. I agree with the previous comment made, even on such a low dose I also feel I'm in a chemical straight jacket. I have trouble thinking straight, I can't concentrate for over 15 minutes, my sleep is average - it's extremely hard to wake up. I also find I'm so much more angrier and impulsive, I stutter and can't form words, as well as shaking uncontrollably in my legs when I get anxious. I also get headaches or even at least twice per week. However, my family and close friends have noticed a considerable improvement in my mental health eg suicidal thoughts have almost stopped completely and an increase in more 'happy Emma days'. Such a strong, powerful and dangerous med

April 30, 2013 5:19 AM

Review by lizzy1994:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: You can be very angry and go off on someone and then you take this medicine and then you think that you never went off on that person.

April 25, 2013 10:11 PM

Review by Midnight Cowboy (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have been on a few antidepressants for 11 years with only fair results. My Doctor started me on some Seroquel XR 200mg at bedtime over the last few weeks. This medication not only has helped me with the terrible side effects when you come off many of the typical SSRI but I am sleeping and my depression has improved from a 2 out of 10 to 7 out of ten. Sometimes, SSRI medication side effects are stated as minor but they can be very severe at times. More Doctors should know about Seroquel XR and the great results when stopping antidepressants.

April 23, 2013 4:24 PM