User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

6.6
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 595 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids. "

Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

For Insomnia: "Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years"

srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Calming and antidepressant effect good. Vivid REM sleep and dreams."

scrutiny December 3, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "Seroquel- Out of Risperdal, Zyprexa, Trilafon, Abilify, Haldol, and Geodon, Seroquel is by far the best one. At lower doses, it is good for anxiety. You don't feel like a zombie on it. Obviously it helps you sleep, but at lower doses you won't be sleepy or if you just take it at bed time. Abilify and Haldol turned me into a complete zombie it was terrible. Risperdal had sexual side effects and of course the breast growth issue, but I would say Risperdal is the second best one behind Seroquel. Haldol and Abilify help paranoia big time but they also exasperate anxiety, definitely stay away from those. Geodon and Zyprexa are worse than those medicines. Geodon made me disoriented, helpless, still very paranoid. Zyprexa is probably the second worst."

Corksters (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this."

Mikfr November 28, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "LIFESAVER. I tried antidepressant after antidepressant, all exacerbating my original anxiety symptoms- nausea, vomiting, insomnia, brain zaps, anziety, agitation, headaches/ migraines. You name it, I had it and the antidepressants made it worse. Been on Quetiapine XR 50mg and I'm still trying to get used to how GOOD I feel. for the first time in YEARS I'm not waking up nauseous and dry-retching, appetite is normal, sleeping a blissful 8 hours a night and waking up easily in the morning, alert and awake during the day. My anxiety is just GONE. I still have emotions, I still care about things, but this feels like what I imagine a normal person feels like. e.g. I can cope without panicking!! 10/10!!!"

mysteriousdarkness (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel."

Eliza_nsw November 28, 2014

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Diagnosis: PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder I've been taking Seroquel for 2 months now. Hospitalized for an episode. My thoughts were super distorted, probably from lack of sleep in combination with my disorders. Obsessive thoughts that wouldn't stop. Intrusive thoughts over past traumas (PTSD). Couldn't get to sleep at night without sickening dreams. I finally got my life back with this stuff. I got a job, but I was working night shift, so I only lasted 2 days. Night shift and these meds are hard to manage. But my health is more important. The only thing that is a downside is that I can't drink on it. The nights I do drink I don't take the Seroquel. If I do take it I try and wait til I sober up."

BPD_Fairy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I used to have terrible anxiety and racing thoughts and would break down crying every day. I started taking 25mg of Seroquel every night and I am no longer anxious. I have a great sleep every night and wake up feeling awesome. I don't need Ativan anymore for panic attacks as they have ceased completely. I tried Wellbutrin for a while and it made me crazy...for anyone who is nervous about taking an antidepressant or benzos I would highly recommend this medication. I feel like myself - no tremor or fogginess or zombie-like feelings. Occasionally my legs feel a bit restless but I can deal with that. No issues if I don't take it for a night and want to go for drinks or something. No issues with weight gain. Highly recommend! I got my life back."

lovexpickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly."

PaultheComposer November 22, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Does not improve my quality of life. Depression continued and developed major cognitive disfunction. I could not even communicate what was happening to me or for any wants or needs."

GetOffMyMeds (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 22, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Don't worry about weight gain! I've taken Seroquel for two years, and let me tell you you can stay fit and or lose weight! The hardest is the munchies at night, but if you can control that and or snack healthy you will be FINE. You don't have to have a strict diet on this medication. Exercise and eat healthy as much as you can. You can still enjoy giving into cravings! You have to adjust to the major hunger especially at night. See what works for you. This medicine is amazing and works very well. Just give it a chance. After two years I have not gained any weight but have actually lost since I began taking it. It's a little hard at first but once you figure out what works for you you'll have a happy life emotionally and physically!"

Krazi165 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2014

For Insomnia: "I had severe insomnia for years which caused major major depression and anxiety. I tried a ton of medications, but Seroquel was definitely the best. I'm still on it at 150mg (3 x 50), which gives me 7.5-9 hours sleep/night. When I take 100mg, I get about 5.5-6.5 hrs sleep. I take it an hour or so before bed. It sucked for about a week when I got on it, but I have been on it for 3 years now and it's a lifesaver. I still have nights where I have bad sleep, but it's rare. I have had 0 side effects. Just as a reference, mirtazipine did work for me too, but I gained weight. Ambien never worked well and benzodiazepines worked, but addiction scared me. Insomnia is the worst and this medicine gave me my life back."

Brinx321 November 18, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "This medication has been a life saver. I had major anxiety and paranoia and could not sleep. Now I have zero anxiety, I am no longer paranoid and I do not wake up once during the night. Love this medication."

LUVQUETIAPINE (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I live in New Zealand. I took less tan 25mg once a night (I'd break it in half, sometimes even quarters) and it helped me sleep, reduced anxiety, and helped stabilize my mood. I took this with 40mg of fluoxetine. I've returned to taking it with 225mg of venlafaxine a few times to ease anxiety when needed. After about 12 months of taking it, I began to feel very lethargic, and generally slow, and my short term memory basically stopped existing. I had to stop taking it then. I wish it were available to 12.5mg tablets. My main issue was having to take more than needed due to the tablet size."

Georgia SS (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "At first, it was horrible. I felt like I was dying every time I would take it before bed, I felt as if I were to fall asleep I'd never wake up. This lasted 2 weeks maybe a month.... My body eventually adjusted to it, the voices went away. Slowly, but surely. I was also in a serious state of depression, and it takes some time but now after a little over a year of taking it, being bipolar and having countless manic and depressive episodes, Seroquel has saved my life. I've never felt like myself like I do right now in such a long time. The only dumbs down is you have to seriously monitor your weight on this thing, the pounds just pile up if you don't watch your weight carefully.."

ECCENTRICAKIRE November 14, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I love Seroquel but not the XR type. Helps you to sleep well at night and wake up feeling great. Gives you major munchies at night and woke up with Reeses Pieces all over the bed. Does help with a lot on highs and lows. So for me it's worth a little weight gain. Overall this medicine has changed my life."

kaykay729 November 14, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Seroquel has worked wonders for me. I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, and after 7 months on Seroquel, I feel like a whole new person. I had been severely depressed and was self harming before getting on Seroquel, and now I have never been so happy before! The only problem is the weight gain - I have gained about 20 pounds since I started taking this medicine. But this side effect is worth it to have my depression and anxiety gone!"

Gemini21 November 10, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Great medication helps with bi-polar. If I had anything bad to say it would be that it makes you gain weight like crazy. However other then that I sleep better then I have in twenty some years. "

mnj34113 November 9, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "When I first went on this medication 300mg I did not like it at all. I had side effects of a type of floating- my head wasn't attached to my body- I'd be disorientated, only for a short time, but frequently at first. I don't really remember any other side effect. I wanted to stop taking this. I was 300 SR then went to normal Seroquel. Being on standard Seroquel helped. I asked to change off Seroquel and was told its a good medicine and just give it time- 6 weeks. Wow, I didn't like that idea. I did give it time, I was tried of a day, so went back to 150mg- over time I've been on 200mg also and now 300mg. I am so grateful to myself for hanging in there. I choose to be on Seroquel, I sleep a deep sleep, for me, I am happy. Very happy."

Koalamaiden - NSW (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 8, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Got diagnosed with bipolar disorder three months ago, and started on Seroquel 50 mg at night. It has helped me a lot, and I feel like a totally different person (in a good way - I've suffered for 10 years!). At first I just thought I was in a "normal" phase (not manic or depressive) - but the depressions usually sneaks up on me after a few weeks when I've felt normal before. Not had any side-effects, other than restless legs syndrome, but I've had that before, so it wasn't a biggie. This side-effect has also almost disappeared after a few months. Was so scared of weight gain, but I watched what I eat, and work out a lot, instead I've gotten skinnier and healthier. Thumbs up! I got my life back! "

Siri86 November 5, 2014

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have had chronic insomnia for three years along with occasional anxiety and mind racing. I've tried many of the major hitters, Ambien CR, Temazepam, Lunesta, etc. along with many other OTC ones. Tried all the ‘before bed’ tips (tea, no TV, even tried massages, meditation, music). With three years of insomnia I am surprised I don’t have some kind of mental illness going on. Anyways, after my doctor tried putting me on Quetiapine, 25MG – All I remember is laying my head down on the pillow and it was ‘lights out’. I slept 8 full hours then had to use the bathroom. Then went back to sleep for another four hours and slept like a baby. Wow! I was a little ‘out of it’ when I got up, but after a hot shower and a cup of coffee, I felt great."

Doug S. (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has truly saved my life! I have Bipolar 1 and would predominantly suffer from intense periods of mania, lasting up to 6 months. I was completely reckless and out of control in every way. Depression was less common but whenever it hit, I would attempt suicide and have done so three times in my life. However since taking quetapine, I became nearly instantly stable and I am now in Law School. No weight gain at all, not a single pound! However I cant loose weight either. I'm on 200mg daily at the moment."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2014

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I'm currently on a dosage of 50mg morning, 50mg afternoon, 100mg night. I requested my psych add this to my current medication, which is Welbutrin XL(300mg). The results have been strikingly positive. I personally have not experienced any significant side effects from either besides some minor weight gain. This combination is the first to make me feel hopeful, bring me out of a resistant depression and help with anxiety. Mood swings seem to be minimized compared to before this. They still happen but in a less extreme nature. I'm able to feel comfortable on my own, instead of going to a bar for company. I have yet to have the classic meltdown...I've experienced mental clarity that's been absent for years."

bpdjason (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have been on all kinds of Benzodiazepines for sleep due to anxiety and periods of alcohol withdrawal. SEROQUEL has been a life saver. I am 220 lbs and 6 foot tall and first took 200 MG and slept twelve hours. I could of had major surgery and not awoke! I have found 100 mgs to be very effective where as Trazodone is about a third as effective. SEROQUEL is a great tool for sleep, and especially for those that are getting Benzos or other medicines!"

Dugan5555 October 28, 2014