User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 103 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 482 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by CJmckenzie:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been taking quetiapine for 4 years now for Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder and I have found them very effective in my treatment. I have however also been taking lamotrigine, fluoxetine for my bulimia also and promethazine. I do struggle with sleep, etc. but the problems aren't as severe.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Review by anorexicxheart (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : I've been taking this since January 2013 for depression and insomnia it has worked wonders. Except for the weight gain factor. You feel the need to snack all the time which has caused me to develop bulimia. I have a past of anorexia and literally everyone in my immediate family has had eating disorders. I wouldn't recommend this to someone terrified of weight gain. Other than that. It's great.

September 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by EnsignRamsey (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: 25mg daily. For insomnia you need to take it 5 hours before you go to bed. I never miss a night's sleep on this.

September 18, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by kel kel 84:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: It worked well for sleep but I could not remember eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I woke up with it all over my pillow and cheeks weird.. I felt hung over in the morning. Also was taking Geodon and Effexor. I don't take anything now. It's been 3 years. I'm doing good.

September 16, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Mom of 2 Schizoaffective:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.

September 16, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by AnnieFromAfrica:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I too gained masses of weight taking Seroquel but lost it all (35lb) in 6 months by healthy eating & being AWARE of the pitfalls. Seroquel does not make you gain weight. Seroquel makes you crazy HUNGRY craving all the bad stuff - salt/sugar/fried food for me. The secret is to ANTICIPATE your munchies. Prepare a large but healthy snack in advance or save half your evening meal and have it at bedtime just before you take your meds. This really worked for me. Taking my meds on a full stomach took the cravings away.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 4:57 PM

Review by katwmn:

For Bipolar Disorder: I found the medicine worked quite well on my symptoms, but it had too many side effects, one being weight gain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 4:52 PM

Review by Stevie k:

For Insomnia: I have been taking 100mg in the mornings 3 x 25mg in the day and 200mg before bed for bipolar disorder. I have tried numbers off different sleep aids and medicines, however this has proved effective for me. I have a good 8 hrs sleep, wake up fine. It does make me crave sweets, cookies, coca cola but I try to fight the hunger and run on my cross trainer on side effect. I have had restless legs syndrome, very annoying but it does pass. At first I felt sluggish my body felt heavy to carry so I dropped my dose to 100 mg in the day and this works much better for me I suffered with anxiety and panic and couldn't leave my home but now with the help off quetiapine I'm so much more relaxed, don't feel anxious if I do I take 25mg and within an hour I'm relaxed.

August 28, 2013 9:02 AM

Review by Touched by Madness:

For Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel literally saved my life! After a suicide attempt landed me in the ICU 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with bipolar I disorder & subsequently put on Seroquel. Early on, my dose was increased to 300mg & that's where I've stayed. A few years ago I started having trouble with depression again; although this time around it wasn't suicidal. My Doctor added Pristiq & it really seemed to help so I've stayed on it. When I first started the Seroquel, I remember waking up one morning and thinking "So THIS is what normal feels like!" I realize it isn't for everyone, but for me it's been a miracle that has allowed me to live a happy and STABLE life! Without serious mood swings, I can actually make (and keep) plans!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2013 1:13 AM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I take this medication for its side effects primarily. It works great if you have severe insomnia. This medicine makes you very hungry when you take it. It also helps to relive anxious feelings and help calm feelings of stress. Again my doctor prescribed this medicine due to weight loss, insomnia, anxiety. This is not what the medicine is exactly made for but I have tried dozens of medicines and this is the only one that has helped with my problems.

August 18, 2013 3:24 PM

Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I suffer from mainly depression and anxiety. I have had a few bouts of hypomania. This was recommended to me to help anxiety and mood swings. Within an hour of taking this medicine I was always somewhat buzzed and not in a good way. Like you have to lie down and sleep or you will become extremely irritable. The sleep was great on it, however you wake up in a fog for hours. Usually until dinner time for me. It really flattens you out so you don't feel much but emotionless and tired. I took anywhere from 50 to 200 mg and the result was the same. I am off now and trying safer meds. Seroquel wasn't for me, glad it helps millions though!

August 12, 2013 4:58 PM

Review by JuliaHV (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed bipolar about 15 years ago and have been on and off many medications. I now have insomnia and Seroquel is the only medication I have found that will help me sleep (besides Geodon which gave me involuntary muscle spasms) I take 100mg a night. It does make me sleep a lot, which I really like. I usually sleep from 11pm to 8:30 or 9am. Thankfully I don't have to be up early for any reason. I feel so stable and happy and rested on it. The reason I rated it a 9, instead of 10...major weight gain. 30lbs and it hasn't stopped. I did recently try to switch to Latuda because of weight gain and I was miserable with no sleep. I wish Geodon had worked because I actually lost weight on that.

August 11, 2013 9:35 AM

Review by KimberlyAJ:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine worked at first, but after taking it for a few (2) weeks, I developed anxiety & panic attacks. I've had panic attacks in the past but not like these. I wasn't afraid of anything specific; it was like a constant fear. Also, my heart would race so bad. I am being weaned off this & switching to Zyprexa.

August 8, 2013 8:38 PM

Review by Happy and rested:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel 100mg saved my life. For 9 months I did not sleep because of an anxiety disorder. I tried to kill myself three times. Finally i was given Seroquel and 130mg trazadone. I have been sleeping well and not depressed for ten years. It has saved my life I am so grateful. Did put on 50lbs better that than being dead. Very grateful.

August 7, 2013 8:09 PM

Review by HopeK7117:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried just about every medicine there is to treat bipolar disorder, and Seroquel hands-down is the best one for me in terms of stability. However, the weight gain has been a problem. I gained 40 pounds on Seroquel. The good news is I've lost 16 pounds of that in 3 1/2 months. It's been hard work, but I am confident I can meet my goal of losing 48 more pounds over the next year.

August 6, 2013 11:28 PM

Review by Little maiden:

For Insomnia: I have been on Quetiapine 50mg for I don't know how long but my sleep lasted 3hrs. Then I would wake up and sleep the rest of the night. I was very tired and depressed all the time, very unhappy. About 5 days ago my psych. put me on 100mg. Now I sleep all night it feels like I'm in another world. I have not seen anymore hunger. I won't know about weight gain for a while.

August 5, 2013 10:30 PM

Review by Abigail2007 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar, obsessive compulsive disorder, severe anxiety, panic attacks and I cannot shut my mind off without Seroquel. I take 800mg at bedtime and cannot sleep without it.

August 5, 2013 4:45 PM

Review by finally! (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I was first diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder eight years ago in my teens. Co-morbid major depressive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, panic disorder. I have only been on this medicine for just over two months but it has changed my life. It is available generically and affordable. I also suffered from insomnia from a very young age and now about 30-45 min after taking my pill I dozed off for exactly 8 hours of sleep and wake up rested and refreshed. If I have to be up for something in the morning I need to remember to take it ~9 hours before I need to get up. It's a minor inconvenience compared to all the good it has done me. I am a much calmer person.

August 2, 2013 12:44 PM

Review by brent_sweet_32 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: After months of struggling to sleep and trying different medication (Ambien, Halcion, Trazodone, and others) I found 30mg Restoril with the Melatonin and Benadry would put me to sleep. Restoril stopped working after a while and I couldn't fall asleep and couldn't stay asleep. Over the next 3 months I averaged 3 hours of sleep a night and only 45 minutes at a time. My body was completely exhausted but my brain would keep going. I have never been diagnosed as bi-polar or any other mental illness. I just have a very active mind. Finally taking 2mg Klonopin, 25mg Elavil, 600mg Seroquel, 10mg Melatonin and 50mg Benadryl at night would put me to sleep. I sleep like a normal and no side effects besides restless leg syndrome and morning drowsiness.

August 1, 2013 11:13 PM

Review by StableandGreatful:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have had Bipolar one for 8 years now. I use 50 mg of Seroquel, with 100 mg Lamictal, and 900 mg of Trileptal. Seroquel is great for sleep, which is critical for me. I also use good sleep hygiene with the Seroquel to make sure I get my 8 hours every single night. I am managing my bipolar very well, and for this I am very thankful to these medicines.

July 30, 2013 10:17 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel XR consistently for almost a year. I recently decided to try to lower my dose from 200mg/night to 100mg/night because I'm fed up with the weight gain (diet/exercise don't seem to do much to combat it), but I began to feel unstable a few days after lowering the dose. On Seroquel XR I am content, even-tempered, not very anxious, no paranoia, no self-harm thoughts, but when I mess with the dosage or stop it entirely I quickly remember why I take it. I instantly begin to assume that others don't care about me, to feel lonely, impulsive, and very down for no reason. I'm hoping to switch to a medication with a similar mechanism as Seroquel XR without the weight gain...(Geodon...?)

July 23, 2013 5:45 PM

Review by Cor3 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I sleep much better with Seroquel. I have anxiety and sleep like a baby. I take 25mg and find myself clear headed, calmer and refreshed in the morning. I read about the side effects and am concerned, although do not experience the weight gain. I watch how much I eat and may get some water retention from it but that is it. My weight has only gained a few pounds, if any. I do worry about eye problems. I had my first experience with an ocular migraine a few months ago and wondering if that is related to this medicine.

July 23, 2013 1:01 AM

Review by natalie alyshea (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I am on this medicine for insomnia, works very well, I sleep like a baby on it. I sleep right through the night, would recommended to anyone, however I've found with me that I have to take it with lots of water to get a much quicker effect. Other than that its amazing, where would I be without it.

July 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Broken mind (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I started on quetiapine nearly 5 months ago after switching from chlorpromazine for the mood stabilizing properties. I'm on 600mg of the XR version nightly. It took a nearly 2 months for me to notice an effect but once it did take effect there was a great difference. I went from being incredibly low with repeated drinking, self harm & hospital admissions to a deep stability I haven't experienced in years. I've not self harmed now for 3 months & also quit drinking alcohol. My mood is on very much an even keel with no extreme highs & lows. I'm just happy at a normal level & enjoying life & am dealing with things so much better. Only negative is slight weight gain but it's a price I'm willing to pay for this stability.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2013 5:46 PM

Review by srrandall (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel is fantastic. I've been taking it for bipolar and inability to sleep. The only problem I've had is severe restless leg syndrome. That side effect is knocked out by 2 mg of Requip.

June 28, 2013 4:31 AM