User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 109 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 513 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by PSYCHERN:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 59 years old, worked as a psych nurse for 28 years & am bipolar. My symptoms manifest in severe depression, anxiety & insomnia so bad I retired early. I have now been on Seroquel for 6 years & in combination with Lamictal * Requip I have been able to enjoy life, sleep well and managed well as an outpatient. Seroquel is for me a miracle. I spent many years addicted to Xanax & other benzodiazepines in a futile attempt to sleep & decrease the anxiety. I know that many psyche meds were originally meant to treat other illnesses & found to be beneficial in others so I feel extremely fortunate to finally have a medicine that works! I often joke with my friends that whoever discovered this medicine should get a Nobel Prize in medicine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by thedavebloke (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: I have unipolar depression with occasional manic symptoms. For 20 years I was on antidepressants but started Quetiapine about 6 months ago in conjunction with Citalopram. When I reached a daily dose of 300mg I was feeling great mentally. But the side effects of constipation and tiredness made it difficult to stay on this medication long-term so I'll be trying lamotrigine next.

February 14, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by honest (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: I'm taking QUETIAPINE, TEMAZEP & VISTAIL. I suffer from Anxiety, Major Depression & Insomnia. I'm taking Vistaril for the Anxiety I'm on 50MG 4 times a day when reading most of you said it made you pretty sleepy. I feel normal for the first time in 40 yrs like maybe I can have a life now. My experience so far has been a great one. I DON'T GET Drowsy At All LIKE I SAID THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I FEEL 100% Normal. I take two Seroquel 100MG in the morning For Major Depression. That doesn't make me Drowsy at all when I read about Vistaril and Seroquel people say they are drowsy and lethargic, not ME I Feel Great! I Also take Seroquel 300MG at Bedtime along with 30MG Restoril at Bedtime. The only side effects I have is movements in my neck and the chills. Yep that's it. I can't say I like the jerk in my neck, but if I feel Normal & I just have those two side effects LIFE IS GREAT. I think what most people do is give up too fast work with your doctors they just have to find the right cocktail for YOU. Never Give Up On Yourself!

February 13, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by gasmd72 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I have been taking quetiapine for 3 years to help me sleep. For me it is wonderful. I take 50 - 100 mg before bed every night, unless I am on call as I am a physician. If I go to bed within 30 min of taking it I usually sleep well. 1 cup of coffee in the morning and I am good to go. Prior to Quetiapine sleep was nearly impossible and sleeping pills would make me more useless the next day than if I just stayed up all night. I'm glad to have access to quetiapine.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by tiredoftablets (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Hi, Unfortunately this medication does not suit me as I get a lot of the undesirable side effects. Slurred speech, terrible confusion, drowsiness but not able to sleep, cravings for sugary foods, a sort of spaced out feeling, and restless leg. Apart from that it's great! :) Wish I could continue taking it, but it's not worth the side effects in my case.

February 11, 2014 8:20 PM

Review by WannaBeBetterForever:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I am presently in hospital and have been put on Seroquel XR. As previously commented, the low dosages cause lethargy and sleepiness. However, I am not nearly as suicidal as I was, I have hope for the future and have not been on for more than a few days. I am optimistic that once I have reached the proper dosage that I will once again enjoy life as I once did. Paxil, Effexor and a number of other antidepressants worsened by symptoms over time and/or never did do much for the depressive symptoms in the first place. This medicine is worth trying if you are extremely depressed or suicidal.

February 7, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Macca d:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I take Seroquel for bipolar, I had side effects when first taking it such as couldn't wake in the morning and sluggish, it took me a couple of months to get used to it, now I take it at about 10.30pm asleep within 20 mins and up at about 8.30 am, well rested, it has been great for my mania, which can last weeks at a time. I feel so normal again, I take 100mg a night with 600mg of Tegrotol you just have to give it time to do it's thing, the side effects go away. I have no weight gain at all on Tegrotol, it's the opposite, I'm losing weight.

January 8, 2014 7:14 AM

Review by solitude solace (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: For me personally, the weight gain WAS dose-related. I gained over 200 lbs. by the time I got up to 600mg a day. Even so, it does wonders for my schizo-affective and depression disorders.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: Made me a zombie at low doses and didn't help with depression. In fact, I felt even more depressed since I wasn't able to hold a conversation or think straight due to drowsiness.But it seems to work for some people.

January 5, 2014 4:33 PM

Review by lvs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: My sons, age 10 and 14 have been taking this for a year. I had tried everything to get them to stop wetting the bed but nothing worked. Then the dr. thought that the reason they were wetting the bed is because they were not getting a good nights sleep. I was very skeptical, specially to give them any medicine. Also, my 10 year old had a hard time falling asleep. Within a couple of weeks of taking the medicine (25 mg), they both stopped wetting the bed. It was a miracle. A couple of months I go I started taking the medicine. I thought I was getting my 8 hours of sleep but the dr. thought that I was not, since I was exhausted all day long. Well after taking this a couple of days I noticed the quality of my sleep was much better.

January 4, 2014 1:01 AM

Review by Userreview25 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: 25 year old who has suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for what seems like forever. My anxiety got much worse my senior year of college and I started having major sleep issues. I became obsessed with my fear of not sleeping and it really took a toll on me. I was taking Klonopin at night to sleep but that just made me out of it and feeling guilty worrying that I would become dependent on a benzo. I do not like the idea of taking medicine to sleep but I was desperate. My psych prescribed my Seroquel 25mg at night and the first night I slept 7 full hours after months of hardly any sleep. The Seroquel has allowed me to work on healthy lifestyle choices with the goal of eventually not needing it anymore. Minor weight gain.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2013 8:13 PM

Review by SeroquelBroughtMeBack (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis as early as 6th grade. It took about 15 years to get seen, by that time I was completely detached from reality. After trying expensive placebos with bad side effects and high hype, I tried Seroquel. It works on the psychosis, mania and depression I've experienced in trade for being a little sleepy. Seroquel is so far the only medication that works by itself & which I can function even after missing a dose (not recommended). It's all about risk versus controlling symptoms with these medications. If you've found something effective for treating the symptoms, the next step is finding the cause. This illness is like a sleeping dragon, you must keep it asleep or you'll get burned, Seroquel helps.

December 8, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Works like a charm. It was prescribed for me for Bipolar I disorder (as part of my cocktail of meds), especially for symptoms involving lack of sleep. I have been struggling with sleep problems for so many years, and this works great for me at 50 mg. It even helps with depression and anxiety temporarily. I feel a lot calmer, which is definitely needed for me, especially at night. It helps with racing thoughts and voices as well. No more "noise" in my head at night for most part.

December 3, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by jenzw (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Brilliant - Tried all the usual sleeping tablets with no success. This works for me 99% of the time. I've accidentally forgotten to take it a couple of times without realising until the next day and the difference is very noticeable.

November 17, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Paigem:

For Depression: This is the best medicine I've come across. I was diagnosed with depression at 14 and I'm now 17. I previously had been on Pristiq, Prozac and Valium. I was put on 200 mg Seroquel during an inpatient stay at a psychiatric clinic. It's true, there are ridiculous amounts of side effects. For me I had the hungover feeling, the weight gain, zombie feeling in the day, lack of focus and I'd have a lot of aggression. However, I don't have these side effects anymore through therapy and doing the opposite of a symptom e.g. no weight gain by exercising. I still sleep like a baby, my moods are pretty level and I feel HAPPY. All I can say is you cannot expect a medicine like this to work overnight and without yourself putting in effort!

November 15, 2013 8:20 PM

Review by shellwoo:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Review by Dfhhfxg Okay:

For Insomnia: I take 25 to 50 mg at night to help me sleep. It knocks me out and keeps me sleeping. I switched to this after other sleeping pills didn't help, I'd always wake up 3 hours later wide awake which annoyed me. I do feel groggy in the morning but I'd rather be groggy than not sleeping at all.

November 5, 2013 9:56 PM

Review by ahtibat87 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is my 2nd time on seroquel and now that I actually know two shits about mental disorder, I really do like seroquel. I've always had a terrible time falling and staying asleep which it helps with greatly, and my ridiculous bipolar tendencies it puts to rest. I recommend seroquel if it works for you. I've never had a single negative side effect from it but some people do. Every brain is different :)

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 4:43 AM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Prior to taking this drug I was in a self-destructive, dissociated state of paranoia and anger. At times I would have these intense mood swings that I was unable to control, like sadness (burst into tears with no provocation) or anger (no provocation). Upon taking this drug this ceased within 1-2 days, and it was as if I had never been like that. I was restored, so to speak. This drug saved my life, I feel it fair to say. Side effects: I sleep very heavily, I need about 30 alarms going off five minutes apart before I wake up, and I get extremely drowsy if I have even a little alcohol, I also have very low moods for a few days after consuming alcohol.

November 2, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by Charloo (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have just started Quetiapine (Seroquel) going form 25mg to 75mg now. I was previously using lithium and have gradually reduced it to 250mg, now I do not take it and have replaced with seroquel. I am concerned about the side effects at higher doses and I would like to know if anyone has gone from using lithium to seroquel as a modd stabilsier. I am doing this as I am trying to get pregnant and my doctor has told me that seroquel is a good substitute up to the 2nd trimester of a pregnancy where I would re-introduce lithium.

October 23, 2013 6:43 PM

Review by GoldSpade (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: This is the only medication that seems to stop my the repetitive thoughts. It also improves improve mood and anxiety . Need to exercise alot though to fight the dreaded weight gain.

October 20, 2013 11:16 AM

Review by blake87:

For Insomnia: I started taking 100mg a night 9 years ago, lowered my dose almost immediately to 75mg, a year or two later down to 50, and as of the past 10 months down to 25 a night. It works EVERY night. I get perfect sleep. I do sometimes find the urge to binge on food right before it knocks me out but not always, especially at the lower dose. Higher doses I would always binge eat. (Although I'm lucky because I'm a 26 year old male who weighs 120 pounds healthy weight for my height). Seroquel is a wonderful medication if you need the sleep. I used to get a sort of "zombie" feeling in the morning and be slightly irritable but nowadays not so much. A cup of coffee and I'm good to go.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I take 150mg to 200mg per night. It has a hangover the next day. The sleep I get is deep but I haven't found anything better on the market. But the hangover and weight gain isn't the best.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate