User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

6.6
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 610 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Quetiapine

For Insomnia: "On the nights when I forget to take my 100mg of Quetipine I wake up in the middle of the night at 3am or 4am and am unable to go back to sleep and end up staring blankly at my computer screen. Most every night I take it and even if a trip or two to the bathroom is necessary, I can fall back asleep in minutes. However, this medication is very strong even at the 100mg level and I often have to hug the walls and furniture to safely walk to the bathroom. I'm sure others that take this medication have a loss of control of balance. I only take this medication about 1/2 an hour before bedtime or I find that suddenly I can't find the keys on the keyboard anymore and am EXTREMELY SEDATED. I get a solid 7 hours of sleep most nights."

dmhobbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I started taking 25mg and now on 150mg nightly with the option of going up to 300mg if needed. Although I have not been on it long enough to make comment on weight gain it has been fantastic for my mind and mood. I get a good nights sleep and although I can still be a bit groggy in the morning this passes during the day. Best tablet for me in a long time."

Lorz18 February 4, 2015

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've been on Zoloft for 7 years. I experienced my first panic attack about 2 years in. Since then it had gotten really bad, so much that I was having 3 or more a week. I was given quetiapine by a psychiatrist. He recommended half a tablet (tab is 25mg) so 12.5mg morning and night, but to start taking it just at night to see how I go on it. The first night I slept about 11 hours. The next night was 8. It sorted itself out after that first night. I still do not take it in the morning as I don't want to be drowsy at work. As far as the panic attacks go, I've been on it for 2 months now and I've only had one. I've been able to accept a promotion that has me work 6 hours from home for a few weeks. I have my life back!"

Jac. January 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "My shrink upped my doses to 200 mg and I think that's to much because I started to get a rapid heart beat. I lost about 20 pounds due to my major depression. I had to quit my job because I would be drowsy. At first it worked and helped me sleep. I guess I built a tolerance to it now I take 1/4 of 200mg and I try not take every night. "

mrvicc90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2015

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this for five years and have never been better. I think you just have to find what works for you. My Psych Doc is the best!"

dustbowl (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I stayed in my own little comfortable world as I called it because I was paranoid, bad compulsions, habits, hypochondria, everyday was a struggle and I would cry randomly. I did not consider myself depressed because I was such a happy girl even though at a split second I would turn into something else and would have no emotion for anything. Sometimes I would have bad anxiety due to giving myself all of this stress and I couldn't eat and then I became sick and most of the time with that, came no confidence and sometimes I had many flowing ideas and such creativity. I was diagnosed recently with Hypomania, BPD and a bit of skitz. This med has helped so much but if you have symptoms of bipolar do not take anxiety medication...you'll feel terrible."

Meegz (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was on and off Seroquel for 3 years. It helped with my depression and most of my anxiety, certainly put a stop to my insomnia. I hated the way I would feel when I woke in the morning though. I hated not being able to just get up and go, it usually took until mid afternoon to feel 100% clear. I found though that after a few years its effects on me at 100mg were wearing thin. It no longer helped with my paranoia at all and I would be up half the night. I also gained nearly 20kg, stopped taking it and have dropped over 10kg so far. Also having my daughter seems to have shifted something mentally and found that I no longer need to continue taking it to control everything."

BPD Mama (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine has really helped with my bipolar. I take 300mg (slow release) every evening and it's really helped balance my moods and ease any depressive episodes. Only side effect is feeling like a zombie if I wake up too early, but it's all about taking the pill at the right time before you sleep. If anything I'm getting the best sleep I've ever had when taken properly."

DP0505 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "When I was 14 I was put on 450mg/day before bed time and within 6 months I gained 25-30 pounds. It worked super well to get rid of my hallucinations (including the tactile ones) but it made me extremely zombie-like. My grades slipped at school, and I slept as soon as I got home till the next morning. The first day I slept 22 hours. This medicine made me so hungry all the time and no matter how much I ate I was never full."

Skr1259 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2014

For Insomnia: "Currently on .2mg of Clonidine and 300mg of Seroquel for Insomnia. Works fine."

Jon Dough (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have been taking this since it was prescribed in detox three years ago. It has worked wonders for me. I only take 1/4 of a 50 mg pill and sleep though the night. I don't take it on the weekends to avoid building a tolerance. Sometimes if I am under stress, I will take a 1/2 pill. The only thing I notice is that I need to take it when I have at 7 hours to sleep or I may be groggy in the morning."

SleepLikeaBaby (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Unfortunately after more than a year, pervasive stuff like weight gain, increased lipids, diabetes all started to be present. Great for a while but I started toned more of it to deal with psychotic symptoms and the sedative nature of it got in the way. Swapped to paliperidone ER, which is more focused on the psychotic symptoms and doing well without the sedation."

PixelPop (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have extreme social and general, am bipolar, and insomnia so bad I would cry on and off all night ,every night. Besides other anxiety meds, I take 50mg to 100mg of Seroquel every night about an hour before bed. It shuts off my racing thoughts, and I actually sleep. This has been my miracle because I was barely functioning, if at all. it does make me hungry, but I find if I eat a little something before I take it, I can control the munchies. This is little payment for the new life it's brought me."

julie bird December 11, 2014

For Insomnia: "I took it in the past ( 100 mg) way to high of a dose! Made me feel like I was being smothered as I was drifting off to sleep and it was frightening! 8 years later my doctor convinced me to give it another try as I needed sound sleep and some help with anxiety. (also take 0.1mg lorazepam during the day as needed and one at bedtime.) My dosage was started at 50mg this time and I was having night terrors and weird dreams along with extreme grogginess in the morning. I recently started taking 25 mg and now I only have the dreams and morning groggy feeling! I think at the correct dose it is a medicine worth trying. I'm giving it a few more months to see if I adjust to it."

Marion anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "I'm been on Seroquel since been diagnosed (now 18 months). Started taking 50g but now I'm on 100g. I've got to the point on this medication that the side effects are too much. Constantly tired. Feel very vague. My memory is terrible. I'm starting to forget about things I've already done. Still very paranoid. Also I'm still having panic attacks. So for me, it's time to move on and try something new (Olanzapine)."

zaiyd&lola (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've just started quetiapine on 100mg each night.. It's Made my 1st morning amazing whereas every other morning before I was always a manic depressive without fail. If this is how it's going to affect my days each morning I can't wait. Just to be the normal me again. No weight gain as of yet but being a size 6 in clothes I'm looking forward to gaining. Hopefully on the long run this medication will help my relationship with my partner and 3 beautiful kids. "

Dannicee (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

For Insomnia: "Having been diagnosed with primary chronic insomnia at the age of 13, I have spent my life dealing with the condition. After serving for 20 years of active duty I found that my condition worsened as time went on. Now, in my mid-40’s, my condition has come to the point where, without medication, I can, and do, stay awake for 3-4 days on end without difficulty. Using quetiapine in combination with another medication had turned out to be the only combination that gives me 6-8 hours of solid sleep. I take 100mg along with my other med and within an hour I am tired enough to go to sleep. I have had nights where the combination had no effect, but there have been only a dozen or so in the last 5 years"

srhinomike70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Calming and antidepressant effect good. Vivid REM sleep and dreams."

scrutiny December 3, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: "Seroquel- Out of Risperdal, Zyprexa, Trilafon, Abilify, Haldol, and Geodon, Seroquel is by far the best one. At lower doses, it is good for anxiety. You don't feel like a zombie on it. Obviously it helps you sleep, but at lower doses you won't be sleepy or if you just take it at bed time. Abilify and Haldol turned me into a complete zombie it was terrible. Risperdal had sexual side effects and of course the breast growth issue, but I would say Risperdal is the second best one behind Seroquel. Haldol and Abilify help paranoia big time but they also exasperate anxiety, definitely stay away from those. Geodon and Zyprexa are worse than those medicines. Geodon made me disoriented, helpless, still very paranoid. Zyprexa is probably the second worst."

Corksters (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2014

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I was prescribed seroquel 100mg for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and I could only take it for two days. I took it as prescribed before bedtime. I almost crashed my truck several times on my way to work and I had to pull over on the shoulder to sleep on my way home from work. Day 2 was a Saturday. I slept for 14.5 hours. I can't function at all on this."

Mikfr November 28, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "LIFESAVER. I tried antidepressant after antidepressant, all exacerbating my original anxiety symptoms- nausea, vomiting, insomnia, brain zaps, anziety, agitation, headaches/ migraines. You name it, I had it and the antidepressants made it worse. Been on Quetiapine XR 50mg and I'm still trying to get used to how GOOD I feel. for the first time in YEARS I'm not waking up nauseous and dry-retching, appetite is normal, sleeping a blissful 8 hours a night and waking up easily in the morning, alert and awake during the day. My anxiety is just GONE. I still have emotions, I still care about things, but this feels like what I imagine a normal person feels like. e.g. I can cope without panicking!! 10/10!!!"

mysteriousdarkness (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Seroquel for depression isn't heard of much. I'm on it, and yes at first it was horrible. Head spins and just like motion sickness. But I was advised to stick it out and did. Approx 6 weeks it settled down. I take it for BiPolar, the racing mind, no sleep or little sleep. With Seroquel, I sleep a nights rest. My mind isn't active at all. I'm on 300mg. A bit tired of a morning, but if you are up early, which can be hard, the effects wear off, sooner. I won't swap to any other, I tried Zyprexa but, I'm sticking with Seroquel."

Eliza_nsw November 28, 2014

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Diagnosis: PTSD, Borderline Personality Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder I've been taking Seroquel for 2 months now. Hospitalized for an episode. My thoughts were super distorted, probably from lack of sleep in combination with my disorders. Obsessive thoughts that wouldn't stop. Intrusive thoughts over past traumas (PTSD). Couldn't get to sleep at night without sickening dreams. I finally got my life back with this stuff. I got a job, but I was working night shift, so I only lasted 2 days. Night shift and these meds are hard to manage. But my health is more important. The only thing that is a downside is that I can't drink on it. The nights I do drink I don't take the Seroquel. If I do take it I try and wait til I sober up."

BPD_Fairy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2014

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I used to have terrible anxiety and racing thoughts and would break down crying every day. I started taking 25mg of Seroquel every night and I am no longer anxious. I have a great sleep every night and wake up feeling awesome. I don't need Ativan anymore for panic attacks as they have ceased completely. I tried Wellbutrin for a while and it made me crazy...for anyone who is nervous about taking an antidepressant or benzos I would highly recommend this medication. I feel like myself - no tremor or fogginess or zombie-like feelings. Occasionally my legs feel a bit restless but I can deal with that. No issues if I don't take it for a night and want to go for drinks or something. No issues with weight gain. Highly recommend! I got my life back."

lovexpickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking quetiapine for bipolar for years and it has changed my life. I can concentrate more and it helps me to think clearly. I take it in conjunction with the anti-depressant amitriptyline. They 'iron things out' so that my moods are easier to cope with. That isn't to say it has 'cured' me, but they have improved my condition greatly."

PaultheComposer November 22, 2014