User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 102 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 475 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by Koosh's Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have had Bipolar Disorder/Personality Disorder and severe depression for about 30 years and have tried just about every medicine there is. A recent set-back had me in hospital: my Dr. decided to put me on Seroquel XR 400 mg along with my other medicines. In the beginning it seemed to help me, as time went on my symptoms of low mood suicidal thoughts, etc. came back...most important to note was the WEIGHT GAIN. In under a year almost 50 lbs for no real reason. Extreme fatigue and sleepiness-hard to get out of bed in the mornings! Am now reducing dosage to slowly get off it as per Dr.'s orders and switching to an alternative. I am hoping this will work.

November 20, 2013 10:35 PM

Review by jenzw (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: Brilliant - Tried all the usual sleeping tablets with no success. This works for me 99% of the time. I've accidentally forgotten to take it a couple of times without realising until the next day and the difference is very noticeable.

November 17, 2013 4:25 PM

Review by Paigem:

For Depression: This is the best medicine I've come across. I was diagnosed with depression at 14 and I'm now 17. I previously had been on Pristiq, Prozac and Valium. I was put on 200 mg Seroquel during an inpatient stay at a psychiatric clinic. It's true, there are ridiculous amounts of side effects. For me I had the hungover feeling, the weight gain, zombie feeling in the day, lack of focus and I'd have a lot of aggression. However, I don't have these side effects anymore through therapy and doing the opposite of a symptom e.g. no weight gain by exercising. I still sleep like a baby, my moods are pretty level and I feel HAPPY. All I can say is you cannot expect a medicine like this to work overnight and without yourself putting in effort!

November 15, 2013 8:20 PM

Review by shellwoo:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have used this for years now! I love it, before taking I absolutely could not sleep. I started out with 50mg, and am now taking 75mg after all of these years. I cannot sleep without it and I have no side effects from this medicine.

November 14, 2013 9:53 PM

Review by happy camper (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I took regular Seroquel which did help somewhat. I would rate that at a 4 out 10. I found about Seroquel XR when people told me to see a pdoc this was in 2007 because I was bipolar 1 and couldn't get it under control on my first visit with pdoc I told her my situation and Seroquel after my visit she gave me 2 samples of Seroquel XR which was only out 4 months at that time it has been a huge help with mania and depression I take 800mgs at bedtime when I wake up I take 400mg Lamictal that helps a great deal for me with the racing thoughts and impulsivity along with 2mg of clonazepam that has been a life saver it took many years in and out the psyc hospitals to finally get it right.

November 10, 2013 7:11 AM

Review by Dfhhfxg Okay:

For Insomnia: I take 25 to 50 mg at night to help me sleep. It knocks me out and keeps me sleeping. I switched to this after other sleeping pills didn't help, I'd always wake up 3 hours later wide awake which annoyed me. I do feel groggy in the morning but I'd rather be groggy than not sleeping at all.

November 5, 2013 9:56 PM

Review by ahtibat87 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is my 2nd time on seroquel and now that I actually know two shits about mental disorder, I really do like seroquel. I've always had a terrible time falling and staying asleep which it helps with greatly, and my ridiculous bipolar tendencies it puts to rest. I recommend seroquel if it works for you. I've never had a single negative side effect from it but some people do. Every brain is different :)

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 4:43 AM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Prior to taking this drug I was in a self-destructive, dissociated state of paranoia and anger. At times I would have these intense mood swings that I was unable to control, like sadness (burst into tears with no provocation) or anger (no provocation). Upon taking this drug this ceased within 1-2 days, and it was as if I had never been like that. I was restored, so to speak. This drug saved my life, I feel it fair to say. Side effects: I sleep very heavily, I need about 30 alarms going off five minutes apart before I wake up, and I get extremely drowsy if I have even a little alcohol, I also have very low moods for a few days after consuming alcohol.

November 2, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by Charloo (taken for less than 1 month):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have just started Quetiapine (Seroquel) going form 25mg to 75mg now. I was previously using lithium and have gradually reduced it to 250mg, now I do not take it and have replaced with seroquel. I am concerned about the side effects at higher doses and I would like to know if anyone has gone from using lithium to seroquel as a modd stabilsier. I am doing this as I am trying to get pregnant and my doctor has told me that seroquel is a good substitute up to the 2nd trimester of a pregnancy where I would re-introduce lithium.

October 23, 2013 6:43 PM

Review by GoldSpade (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: This is the only medication that seems to stop my the repetitive thoughts. It also improves improve mood and anxiety . Need to exercise alot though to fight the dreaded weight gain.

October 20, 2013 11:16 AM

Review by blake87:

For Insomnia: I started taking 100mg a night 9 years ago, lowered my dose almost immediately to 75mg, a year or two later down to 50, and as of the past 10 months down to 25 a night. It works EVERY night. I get perfect sleep. I do sometimes find the urge to binge on food right before it knocks me out but not always, especially at the lower dose. Higher doses I would always binge eat. (Although I'm lucky because I'm a 26 year old male who weighs 120 pounds healthy weight for my height). Seroquel is a wonderful medication if you need the sleep. I used to get a sort of "zombie" feeling in the morning and be slightly irritable but nowadays not so much. A cup of coffee and I'm good to go.

October 15, 2013 1:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I take 150mg to 200mg per night. It has a hangover the next day. The sleep I get is deep but I haven't found anything better on the market. But the hangover and weight gain isn't the best.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2013 12:24 AM

Review by Desperate for Sleep:

For Insomnia: 75mg of this medicine usually does the trick for me and I get a good night's sleep. Occasionally, I have weird dreams. Also, strange is this: if I wait until the medicine makes me woozy before I hit the sack, I can't fall asleep. However, if I go to bed right before I get woozy, I usually, but not always, fall asleep. I then get up a couple of times a night to go to the bathroom but usually can fall asleep again.

October 10, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Chris778 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizophrenia: From the age of eleven to seventeen, I lost touch to reality, no doctor could figure out what was wrong with me cause I didn't tell my real problems. I was living in an imaginary world. At the age of seventeen I was finally able to express some of my problems, and got started on Seroquel XR, day by day I had the feeling of becoming normal again, and regained the control over my own life. I still have issues from all the problems that involved my past, but I can truly say that I got control back. I truly think Seroquel XR saved my life.

October 5, 2013 2:24 PM

Review by october 16:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been a bipolar as of 26 years. After my first and huge depression, I have not missed lithium not even for a day. I have had a really good acceptance to Seroquel, but not to Seroquel XR. The difference is huge, and XR plays with your sleep patterns and more. The insatiable hunger is so, so, true as is the weight gain. I just eat less and less and less and as a person who has had an amazing metabolism, still am 105lbs. After 3 children, my teen weight, I am now at 115lbs and I hate it. But I have no desire to stop Seroquel.

October 3, 2013 7:51 PM

Review by WildcatVet (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Seroquel for about a year and I can honestly say I don't ever want to live without it. No other medicine had any effect on controlling my extreme mood swings and delusional/psychotic thinking. The sleepiness (which I now find very helpful) and morning fog were bothersome, but I've gladly adapted my schedule to allow 8-9 hrs sleep nightly.

October 2, 2013 4:55 PM

Review by star1234321:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This medication has significantly reduced my anxiety. I am currently on 50 mg and I am able to sleep longer without mid night interruptions. Before Seroquel I took 10 mg of Abilify (bad lethargy and restlessness). Life doesn't seem so scary to me anymore.

September 28, 2013 10:03 AM

Review by Indian Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I have been on 400mg of Seroquel XR along with my antidepressant for more than 1 year. Initially the medicine worked great for my Stress, Delusions and helped me sleep well in the night. Lately the anxiety has returned and I have severe anxiety during the day time. In the night I pass out so don't feel much in the night. However this medicine has caused me gain a lot of weight. I would say I have gained about 25 pounds since starting the medicine.

September 25, 2013 2:11 PM

Review by CJmckenzie:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been taking quetiapine for 4 years now for Bipolar Disorder and Borderline Personality Disorder and I have found them very effective in my treatment. I have however also been taking lamotrigine, fluoxetine for my bulimia also and promethazine. I do struggle with sleep, etc. but the problems aren't as severe.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2013 3:36 PM

Review by anorexicxheart (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Seroquel (quetiapine) for : I've been taking this since January 2013 for depression and insomnia it has worked wonders. Except for the weight gain factor. You feel the need to snack all the time which has caused me to develop bulimia. I have a past of anorexia and literally everyone in my immediate family has had eating disorders. I wouldn't recommend this to someone terrified of weight gain. Other than that. It's great.

September 19, 2013 12:47 PM

Review by EnsignRamsey (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Insomnia: 25mg daily. For insomnia you need to take it 5 hours before you go to bed. I never miss a night's sleep on this.

September 18, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by kel kel 84:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: It worked well for sleep but I could not remember eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I woke up with it all over my pillow and cheeks weird.. I felt hung over in the morning. Also was taking Geodon and Effexor. I don't take anything now. It's been 3 years. I'm doing good.

September 16, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by Mom of 2 Schizoaffective:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.

September 16, 2013 5:37 PM

Review by AnnieFromAfrica:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I too gained masses of weight taking Seroquel but lost it all (35lb) in 6 months by healthy eating & being AWARE of the pitfalls. Seroquel does not make you gain weight. Seroquel makes you crazy HUNGRY craving all the bad stuff - salt/sugar/fried food for me. The secret is to ANTICIPATE your munchies. Prepare a large but healthy snack in advance or save half your evening meal and have it at bedtime just before you take your meds. This really worked for me. Taking my meds on a full stomach took the cravings away.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 4:57 PM

Review by katwmn:

For Bipolar Disorder: I found the medicine worked quite well on my symptoms, but it had too many side effects, one being weight gain.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate