User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Paranoid Disorder 6 reviews 2 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 544 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by HCC:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've taken these pills since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. First I had to take 600 mg and I managed to low them to 450 mg. I wish I could leave them, but I have learnt I need them.So far they have helped me a lot. I do wish I could fight anxiety, weird feelings on my legs while I sleep and the hunger I experience 24/7. But it's a love/hate relationship between this medicine and I. I hate it but I don't think I can ever quit it. Sad for me good for the pharmacies.

February 20, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by reddsite:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I don't mind Seroquel, other medicines made my stomach sick, but Seroquel helps. Didn't like weight gain, so I'm dieting. It's better than Geodon.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 10:38 AM

Review by maxcina:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Put me to sleep for over 10yrs, the best sleep I ever got. I just can't take it anymore because it raises my blood sugar.

February 16, 2012 7:57 AM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I tried using following generic hypnotic medicines: zolpidem, zaleplon, nitrazepam, midazolam, and also Xanax and Klonopin. None of these worked well with me. After my psychiatrist prescribed me with Seroquel 25mg I sleep every night like a little baby. Plus Seroquel is non-addictive and it also helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, since all drugs I used before were benzodiazepins. The only thing that bothers me with Seroquel is the fact that it slows my mind a little bit and this is especially evident in the morning.

February 2, 2012 6:15 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.

January 30, 2012 5:35 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Puts me to sleep like turning off a light switch. Which has greatly helped me work and be on a normal schedule. Before I would stay up for 24-36 hours straight, then sleep 15 hours and then repeat. Been taking it 7 years. Now when I decide it is bedtime, I take it and 9 out of 10 times I am sleeping in 20-60 minutes. It works just as well for me at 25 mg or 200 mg....same effect. Personally, 15 minutes after I take it though I absolutely will not give my OCD the time of day, not because it goes away but because if I do the medicine makes it harder to focus and deal with whatever is bothering me and it can go on and on worse than normal. And the more drowsy I get the worse it is to focus.

January 23, 2012 12:16 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I was hospitalized and couldn't sleep due to intense anxiety in the hospital. I was given 50mg Seroquel. I felt the effects within 20 minutes, but then they kept getting stronger for well over an hour until my perceptions of time and space were very distorted. I couldn't even sit in a chair without feeling I was going to fall out of it. Next I started getting paranoid until 16 hours later I took Klonopin and everything went back to normal. If I was at home or work and took Seroquel for the first time, it would have been a disaster. I did sleep for a few hours while I was on it, though.

January 21, 2012 5:05 PM

Review by Nix2012:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I've had depression for 12 years, and have been on Paxil about 10. The Paxil worked for a few years, but the anxiety and depression slowly worked its way back into my life. So along with the Paxil they added other drugs (Effexor, Wellbutrin) but they made me even more anxious. I was finally put on regular Seroquel and found it worked for a little while, but I was so tired all the time I couldn't function the next day. I was literally fired from 3 jobs from being stuck in bed and refusing to get up. I was switched to Seroquel XR 100mg last year combined with the 90mgs of Paxil I'm still on, and I've found a drastic improvement in my mood, anger and anxiety. My only complaint would be how sleepy it makes me in the mornings. A large coffee or a caffeinated beverage does the trick though and its worth the sleepiness to have some peace of mind.

January 18, 2012 9:22 PM

Review by BanSeroquelXR:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: SEVERE WEIGHT GAIN and METABOLIC SYNDROME! I had always suffered from anxiety from childhood to adulthood. My doctor prescribed a low dosage of 150 MG in December 2010, At the time I was prescribed Seroquel XR 150 MG, I weighed 96 lbs, petite frame, size 0 or 2. On January 11, 2012, I weighed in at 136 lbs. The 40 lbs of weight gain within one year went to my abdomen and I am covered in cellulite on my abs, hips, back, buttocks and thighs. I monitored my diet and intake the entire time, but the weight gain was out of control.

January 18, 2012 12:11 AM

Review by sleep-ez:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: FANTASTIC! Just wonderful, I take 75mg every night. I chew three 25s, I find this is more effective (although it leaves your tongue feeling funny) and I've been doing that for about 1 year now, and it just knocks me out! but I experience no trouble getting up 6-8 hour's later. I would highly recommend this to someone having trouble sleeping.

January 17, 2012 8:26 PM

Review by Iraq 2003-2007-2009:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I am a 38 year old male. I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and have very bad post traumatic stress disorder and could not sleep due to very bad dreams so my DR put me on 50mg Seroquel taken once at bed time and I sleep very well, in fact without it I do not sleep. I still have bad dreams (well that's what I am told) but I do not remember them and sleep right through them. I would recommend Seroquel to anyone who might be having the same problem that I was.

January 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Review by KRCROX:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I loved how the XR worked for me. I was on 50mg at night. Was a 30 day trial to see if it would help me, it did. My GP gave me the XR then my psychiatrist switched me to the IR 25mg so I could take either 1 or 2 pills depending how I felt. That seemed to be working okay but I had another anxiety attack and it has been 5 days since and I am still not recovered. Tonight I am going to take the XR and see what tomorrow brings. Luckily I do go to my Dr. as well. I am sure that I will feel better tomorrow as I felt great the day after my first XR dose.

January 8, 2012 6:57 PM

Review by Glamrama2:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel (400 mg) for 8 years at bedtime for my bipolar II disorder - it works very well in calming the racing thoughts, the insomnia, the manic episodes and the overwhelming depression. However, it has caused some weight gain (20 lbs) and it does cause my heart to pound very hard about an hour and a half after I take it. Therefore my doctor has recently switched me to Geodon but I am still taking the Seroquel at 200 mg every other night because I was having withdrawal from stopping suddenly. Hopefully I will lose the weight I have gained on the Seroquel and will not experience the heart pounding side effect. Other than that, I highly recommend Seroquel. I give it an 8/10.

January 7, 2012 1:27 AM

Review by pooks:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been on Quetiapine XL 50mg (with a 25mg as required for more difficult days) for about a year now following a history of poor sleep, self-harm, overdose, binge eating, depression and hospitalization. The difference it has made to my life has been amazing, far more beneficial than all the anti-depressants I have been on over the years. At first I also struggled with the sedatory effect but with persistence it reduces and can be managed. The main reason I have decided to post is because yorkiegal mentioned being unable to empathize. I too have noticed that I do not seem to be as 'affected' by sad events/news as I feel I should be, sometimes feeling a bit disassociated.

January 6, 2012 7:00 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Seroquel is a life saver. I used to not be able to sleep, used to be stuck in my head. This has granted me a second chance to live a happy life.

January 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by eli c.:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Have been on and off Seroquel for a few years for severe obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Self harm has been a big compulsion for me. With this medicine it really helps reduce that and many other compulsions. Only big side effect is weight gain. But after being it for half a year I realize I'd rather be over weight then have the symptoms i typically have.

December 28, 2011 1:24 PM

Review by yorkiegal:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Well I'm back again and have now been on quetiapine for three years. During that time I've had no major problems. In fact I've been stable enough for my doctors to agree to me having a gastric bypass to deal with my weight issue and have now lost 7 stone and have more confidence than ever before. Quetiapine helps me get to sleep but doesn't knock me out for as long as before. I average 8 hours per night, but still tend to have an afternoon nap. The gnawing anxiety only returns for short periods when under a lot of stress. The downside to quetiapine? I wonder if it makes me unable to empathize. My dad died recently and I've coped far too well. life is a nice warm cosy blur. But the alternative was torture for years.

December 20, 2011 3:27 AM

Review by stillgoofy:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Was taking it for Bipolar, am also suffering from insomnia and this helped both very much!

December 15, 2011 7:43 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: Have been on Seroquel for 4 weeks for depression. I take it before bed. Still experiencing a "hangover" type feeling in the mornings. I gained 8 pounds in the first 3 weeks I took. Makes me want to eat even when I am not hungry. However, I am not crying as much, can handle day-to-day life better, and I haven't had chest pain or racing heart beats since I started, which is a great improvement.

December 13, 2011 1:36 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've had bad reactions to every mood stabilizer I've tried, but this was truly the scariest. I had to withdraw from college because I was sleeping constantly, crying for 8 hours at a time, and hallucinating. I eventually became suicidal and landed myself in the hospital for 2 weeks. I know that everyone reacts differently and finding the bipolar cocktail is a painful trial and error process, but if you have this experience, I wanted you to know you are not alone.

December 9, 2011 3:31 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: At age 19 I have been taking Seroquel for more than a decade, as I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder extremely young. Seroquel is not a quick fix for an incurable syndrome that those diagnosed will continue to have to live with for the rest of their lives. Seroquel did not fix my sleep problems completely, although it did at first. Now I have to take extra sleep medication to quell my continually racing thoughts. I am still moody and I still do have meltdowns, but the frequency has decreased drastically. What Seroquel and other antipsychotics allow you to do is function in daily life to the best degree possible. I'm not saying everyone with manic depression should take it, because bipolar disorder is a different experience for everyone.

December 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Review by Lilylola:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I would NOT recommend taking this medication for longer than a few weeks for insomnia. It works amazingly well at first, but then, over the course of time, you will need to up the dosage to get the same result. Over time, you will find that the medication makes you groggy and can cause weight gain. Then, when you try to get off, it is very, very hard. I was only on 50mgs for 6 months, and it has taken 2 months for my sleep to occur naturally more than in 2 hour increments. Overall it made my insomnia worse.

December 5, 2011 3:49 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel 200mg for over a year for Bipolar Disorder. After years of taking antidepressants I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I was having really bad manic episodes that would last days to weeks, in which I was staying up for days at a time, spending money I didn't have and extreme OCD. My anxiety and mood swings were spinning out of control and I was failing as a mother. I started therapy and Seroquel and noticed an immediate difference in my manic episodes and insomnia. I gained weight at first but have since lost it over the course of the year. I am taking Aderrall during the day and I am back in college, working as a full time accountant and am able to relax at night with my family.

December 4, 2011 9:03 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: It helped with my OCD intrusive thoughts, but made me VERY agitated and a feeling of skin crawling. Even at 1/4 of a tablet and I was really anxious.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate