User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Paranoid Disorder 6 reviews 2 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 557 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by pray4snow:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is an update of my use of Seroquel. I have been on 800 mg./day for over a year now. My doctor had to keep increasing the dose due to stubborn anxiety/depression. My moods have calmed down a lot, not so many highs and lows. I do still see a therapist which helps with coping with life stresses and behavioral difficulties. I sleep a lot, between 8-10 hours nightly. I still take a small amount of Ambien just to help shut down the racing thoughts in my mind. I am having a hard time with my weight. I want to eat the wrong things all the time. I'm 15lbs. heavier now then I was before taking Seroquel, but the Wellbutrin I was on made me not want to eat ever again so I was way under weight, 125lbs. at 5"8' tall.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2012 12:34 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been suffering with borderline personality disorder almost my entire life. Within a few days of taking Seroquel I noticed an incredible difference in my mood balance, my paranoia. The biggest difference I noticed was I no longer felt the need to be in crisis. Social settings were easily handled, my work life improved overnight. I used to use alcohol to expand on my crisis moments & friends and family believed me a hopeless alcoholic. Now I have no urge to drink. I wake up focused, ready and able to face the day. Most of my days are almost completely positive. I would recommend.

April 21, 2012 10:54 AM

Review by dvws1:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My Doctor started me on quetiapine after I had been having anxiety and panic attacks. The first few days I felt real groggy and they sure make you sleep well. I haven't had any side effects like I did with antidepressants. I just hope they work for me.

April 20, 2012 6:29 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I am 21 and have trouble sleeping, due mostly from my depression, anxiety, etc. I got prescribed Seroquel (50mg one before bedtime) about a year ago and it has helped me SO MUCH in a couple ways, INSTANTLY --helped me sleep, and stay asleep, at first, couple weeks was drowsy when I woke but after a month or two of taking it I wake up feeling great. (Makes sleep amazing, and have the most vivid awesome dreams) Over time taking this medication it has lowered my depression and anxiety. I've noticed hard situations and emotions are much easier to handle. I can stay calm compared to always freaking out.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2012 1:02 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My doctor prescribed Seroquel for a number of Psychiatric conditions I have. They are: Depression (already on 40mg Celexa for this, Seroquel helped as an add on), OCD, Generalized anxiety disorder, Anorexia, mood instability. Seroquel helps with all these conditions, although it causes moderate constipation.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2012 5:38 PM

Review by Angrybird:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: Was taken off Geodon because of night-time anxiety and put on Seroquel XR. I feel so unmotivated. Sedated. I no more feel better by afternoon when it's time to take it again. I dread the next dose. Haven't felt this depressed in a while.

April 11, 2012 2:34 PM

Review by Happyface Chick:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: After a 6 week period of a severe depressive episode with panic attacks and extreme anxiety, I checked myself into the hospital. The doctor completely changed my meds to Prozac, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and at bedtime 10 mg Ambien and 400 mg Seroquel. This combination has worked wonders for me. I started falling and staying asleep for a good 8 hours, my ruminating has stopped almost completely, and my depression has really lifted. I attribute a lot of that to the Seroquel, in that it augments the effects of my antidepressants, stops my mind from racing, and has me sleeping well. The two side effects I've had are grogginess (which has gotten better) and the munchies. I keep fresh fruits and veggies handy at night to snack on instead of junk.

April 10, 2012 10:28 PM

For Paranoid Disorder: Very sedating; put me to sleep nicely, especially when I was on Abilify, it was a great relief. Was too tired to be psychotic! But I gained 32 pounds in a very short time...

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2012 6:14 PM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Works great and fast

April 5, 2012 12:15 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I was prescribed Seroquel 50mg a few years ago after an eighteen-year battle with constant sleep problems. And it does help me get to sleep every night; my dosage has never changed. My only complaints are the RAMPANT hunger I experience before giving in to the fatigue and the dizziness/nausea when trying to stand for too long after the effects have set in. As far as sleeping medication goes, Seroquel takes the cake. I don't notice any psychoactive effects aside from the sedation.

April 3, 2012 12:44 AM

Review by SleepyHead12905:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Seroquel was the only thing that knocked me out. I've been on it for 8 months, but have gained 50 lbs, which I have attributed to Seroquel. Not to mention that diet and exercise aren't cutting it to lose the weight. Wish I could find something that could make me sleep as well as Seroquel without the weight gain.

March 9, 2012 11:15 PM

Review by =O:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I used to seek out and attempt to prolong manic highs, to the point where I was nearly oblivious to anything outside of the experience of the moment, and I was able to put off duties and worries comfortably in my own psychosis. The antidepressants I had been taking prior (sertraline, Wellbutrin) seemed to exacerbate my manic highs. Seroquel has taken the edge off of the manic episodes, and allowed me to deal with quitting other medicines. It is highly sedating, however I would say it has a very minimal effect on cognition. I was far more concerned with my thought processing while under the influence of 2 anti-depressants and Vyvanse for suspected ADD.

March 9, 2012 11:12 AM

Review by Jennifer M:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I take 100mgs of Seroquel at bedtime (for almost a year now) and I have started to build a tolerance to it so it takes about a hour or two until I start feeling tired but once I am alseep..I am Sound Asleep!! I have read many post about the weight gain. I have gained about 30lbs since I've started taking Seroquel. I spoke to my doctor about it and he is now switching me to Chloral Hydrate 500mgs ONLY due to my weight gain and concern. I hope the new medication works just as good. Hopefully I can shake off this weight and get a good nights rest but over all, I would recommend Seroquel to ANYONE dealing with Insomnia. I am definitely not throwing the rest of my Seroquel script out just in case this new medicine is a flop. Good Luck To All.

March 1, 2012 1:30 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Since I started therapy a year ago my bipolar 1 disorder has evened out, but I sometimes have manic, depressed, or both episodes. Also it has caused disturbances in my speech, and uncontrolled movements in my face, arms and legs. The benefits outweigh the risks though and I am satisfied with the way it has helped stabilize my moods.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2012 5:14 PM

Review by HCC:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've taken these pills since I was 19 and I'm 24 now. First I had to take 600 mg and I managed to low them to 450 mg. I wish I could leave them, but I have learnt I need them.So far they have helped me a lot. I do wish I could fight anxiety, weird feelings on my legs while I sleep and the hunger I experience 24/7. But it's a love/hate relationship between this medicine and I. I hate it but I don't think I can ever quit it. Sad for me good for the pharmacies.

February 20, 2012 7:55 PM

Review by reddsite:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I don't mind Seroquel, other medicines made my stomach sick, but Seroquel helps. Didn't like weight gain, so I'm dieting. It's better than Geodon.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2012 10:38 AM

Review by maxcina:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Put me to sleep for over 10yrs, the best sleep I ever got. I just can't take it anymore because it raises my blood sugar.

February 16, 2012 7:57 AM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I've had depression since I was a young teenager. I didn't decide to get treatment until I was 24. I felt like I was unraveling. I didn't want to get out of bed. I lost interest in all the things that I once loved to do. I had problems with drugs and alcohol. Sleeping problems. The whole nine yards. The medication that my doctor decided to put me on was Seroquel XR. I was a little apprehensive at first, being a drug user for many years, I knew what Seroquel was. My doctor assured me that in a controlled and carefully watched environment, she believed it would help. She started me on 50 mgs. I've moved to 150 mgs. I've had drastic positive changes in my mood. I feel happy, rested, and content. No negative side effects. It worked miracles.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2012 7:13 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I tried using following generic hypnotic medicines: zolpidem, zaleplon, nitrazepam, midazolam, and also Xanax and Klonopin. None of these worked well with me. After my psychiatrist prescribed me with Seroquel 25mg I sleep every night like a little baby. Plus Seroquel is non-addictive and it also helps with benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, since all drugs I used before were benzodiazepins. The only thing that bothers me with Seroquel is the fact that it slows my mind a little bit and this is especially evident in the morning.

February 2, 2012 6:15 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.

January 30, 2012 5:35 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Puts me to sleep like turning off a light switch. Which has greatly helped me work and be on a normal schedule. Before I would stay up for 24-36 hours straight, then sleep 15 hours and then repeat. Been taking it 7 years. Now when I decide it is bedtime, I take it and 9 out of 10 times I am sleeping in 20-60 minutes. It works just as well for me at 25 mg or 200 mg....same effect. Personally, 15 minutes after I take it though I absolutely will not give my OCD the time of day, not because it goes away but because if I do the medicine makes it harder to focus and deal with whatever is bothering me and it can go on and on worse than normal. And the more drowsy I get the worse it is to focus.

January 23, 2012 12:16 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I was hospitalized and couldn't sleep due to intense anxiety in the hospital. I was given 50mg Seroquel. I felt the effects within 20 minutes, but then they kept getting stronger for well over an hour until my perceptions of time and space were very distorted. I couldn't even sit in a chair without feeling I was going to fall out of it. Next I started getting paranoid until 16 hours later I took Klonopin and everything went back to normal. If I was at home or work and took Seroquel for the first time, it would have been a disaster. I did sleep for a few hours while I was on it, though.

January 21, 2012 5:05 PM

Review by Nix2012:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: I've had depression for 12 years, and have been on Paxil about 10. The Paxil worked for a few years, but the anxiety and depression slowly worked its way back into my life. So along with the Paxil they added other drugs (Effexor, Wellbutrin) but they made me even more anxious. I was finally put on regular Seroquel and found it worked for a little while, but I was so tired all the time I couldn't function the next day. I was literally fired from 3 jobs from being stuck in bed and refusing to get up. I was switched to Seroquel XR 100mg last year combined with the 90mgs of Paxil I'm still on, and I've found a drastic improvement in my mood, anger and anxiety. My only complaint would be how sleepy it makes me in the mornings. A large coffee or a caffeinated beverage does the trick though and its worth the sleepiness to have some peace of mind.

January 18, 2012 9:22 PM

Review by BanSeroquelXR:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: SEVERE WEIGHT GAIN and METABOLIC SYNDROME! I had always suffered from anxiety from childhood to adulthood. My doctor prescribed a low dosage of 150 MG in December 2010, At the time I was prescribed Seroquel XR 150 MG, I weighed 96 lbs, petite frame, size 0 or 2. On January 11, 2012, I weighed in at 136 lbs. The 40 lbs of weight gain within one year went to my abdomen and I am covered in cellulite on my abs, hips, back, buttocks and thighs. I monitored my diet and intake the entire time, but the weight gain was out of control.

January 18, 2012 12:11 AM

Review by sleep-ez:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: FANTASTIC! Just wonderful, I take 75mg every night. I chew three 25s, I find this is more effective (although it leaves your tongue feeling funny) and I've been doing that for about 1 year now, and it just knocks me out! but I experience no trouble getting up 6-8 hour's later. I would highly recommend this to someone having trouble sleeping.

January 17, 2012 8:26 PM