User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 103 reviews 100 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 1 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 482 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by 411:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I have been taking Seroquel For a while now, A side from being extremely hungry when I wake up, groggy, and the weight gain. It is a really good sleep aid. I am currently on 200mg. Not only am I less stressed and anxious but it slows me down to a point where I can actually think clearly rather than having racing thoughts and it tones down the late night activity greatly. I still work out and am very active but it is a lot less extreme thanks to Seroquel.

June 23, 2011 7:20 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: Made migraines a lot worse and sunk me into worst depression. I guess it works for some people.

June 21, 2011 5:16 PM

Review by sonshinejewels:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Seroquel has saved me from the anxiety of not falling asleep at night. I too was on Ambien and some natural supplements. I felt like I was living outside myself in a fog. After Seroquel, I sleep and I'm rested. Occasionally have killer nightmares that are different than other dreaming I've had. I did gain about 10 pounds as I got the munchies before I went to bed. I have that under control and I'm not munching, have lost 5-6lbs. Did have a terrible time getting up in the morning, but I am hypothyroid. Doctor added 100 mgs of Wellbutrin and I can get up now. Wish I could sleep without all that, but can express the level of gratitude for this gift.

June 19, 2011 6:37 PM

Review by kaz5a:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Has made me hypertensive.

June 16, 2011 10:32 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I was originally prescribed Seroquel to help me sleep after a traumatic experience and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I took half a 25mg pill. I have also had chronic insomnia for over 15 years which I manage with Xanax, however when I experience an increase in stress and anxiety to which I cannot manage with exercise and diet, I will add half a dose of Seroquel at night to help me sleep more soundly. I find that I need to take it early in the evening so that I wake up refreshed. It does leave me with a slight grogginess, whereas Xanax alone does not however Xanax has a shorter half life and there are times when I wake up in the middle of the night. Very happy overall with Seroquel for treating insomnia and glad my Dr. had the wisdom to know how to help me.

June 10, 2011 2:07 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I had been on Depakote for years for my bipolar disorder. But it did not help my depression. Antidepressants seemed to cause hypomania. After starting on Seroquel, I am sleeping better and my mood is more stable. I am less likely to have rapid cycling, and my episodes of either depression or hypomania are more likely to be short-lived.

June 5, 2011 9:53 PM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: Read a lot of bad things about Seroquel on the web. After a couple days tried it myself (100 mg a night) and I've found it amazing. It really helps with my anxiety and my hyperactive behavior. Just feel a lot more calm and settled in general. Don't believe everything you read. Just try it for a few nights and see how it suits you. Everyone is different.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2011 8:28 PM

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: Seroquel XR has changed my life. I feel I am present again in my world. Before taking this medication I had very little hope that I would ever feel enthusiastic about life. I recognize myself again. I can't say enough about how excited I am about living. I tried so many therapies and had given up hope anything would work. The combination of my antidepressant and Seroquel XR was the key for me.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2011 5:30 PM

For Insomnia: I have severe insomnia which causes sleep deprivation, hallucinations and so was prescribed quetiapine and I took it for 3 nights until I passed out on my kitchen floor the fourth day and ended up in Emergency where they discovered my blood sugar was 9 (162). I've stopped taking quetiapine but it has left me with type 2 diabetes which I did not have before, I'd been recently checked for several things including diabetes as part of my normal health care.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2011 4:15 AM

Review by Bipolar man:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: Taking low dose, 25-50mg at bedtime for about two years. I was tired during the day, so we switched to hydroxyzine for the sleep. Bad idea, as I was very irritable and after about 6 months wound up back in the hospital. Low dose Seroquel has positively changed my life. My psych says low dose has remarkable effect on bipolar patients in his practice.

May 17, 2011 1:35 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seroquel is an amazing medicine if you have received a proper diagnosis. Since about age 6, I have suffered with painfully debilitating depression. Most days I could barely pretend to engage and talk to people. I would just sit in my room and cry for hours almost everyday. I also experienced horrible paranoia involving the belief that someone was watching me. My parents were very opposed to any medical treatment for my condition so I just suffered though multiple suicide attempts, self injury, and other serious emotional issues until the age 21. I finally gathered the courage to seek treatment for my condition. After years of absolute hell on earth my life is back together, thanks to Seroquel.

May 3, 2011 1:39 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: So far so good. I have been on Remeron (30 mg) for 3 years. It stopped being effective almost a year ago. Since then I have tried many other things. Finally my doctor suggested Seroquel (100 mg at bedtime), in addition to the Remeron. I noticed the difference almost immediately -- within 24 hours. Severe depression symptoms have eased off and also less anxiety. Unlike others, I have had no grogginess with it so far. So, while its early in the game, Seroquel looks to be good so far. Will post update as my treatment time continues.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2011 3:13 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I changed to Seroquel from Zyprexa because of uncontrollable appetite. I don't have this so much with Seroquel. I feel like myself now, experiencing emotions in a normal way as well as a better ability to think. Seroquel (as well as the Zyprexa) has allowed me to return to work full time after a long period of feeling I was walking around dead, waiting for the next trial medicine to work. These atypical antipsychotic medicines worked quickly - even in the lower initial doses I could feel a change. They gave me a life, to the point where I was able to have a relationship and now marry. My only problem is sweating, which is difficult here in the Tropics.

April 23, 2011 3:01 AM

Review by anona:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I am in treatment for Lyme disease and the antibiotics, as well as the infections, cause insomnia, depression, anxiety and racing thoughts. I used herbs to quieten my mind so I could sleep and they were successful for a couple of years, but finally I needed something stronger. I take just half of a 25 mg pill an hour before I want to fall asleep. It works very well but I do feel groggy in the morning. At first I even had trouble talking as my speech was slurred.

April 17, 2011 1:02 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: Seroquel changed my life. After roughly 20 years of treatment with medications for borderline personality disorder I had a new doctor put me on Seroquel. At first I resented the sedation, but after time I adjusted to it and the dosage was moderated and timed differently. Ultimately, however, it was the first medicicne to thoroughly handle my anxiety, and stop my obsessive thoughts in their tracks. The only downside has been the carbohydrate cravings and weight gain, but even those have become manageable with other supplements and medications. The gains far out weigh losses.

April 16, 2011 1:48 AM

Review by Ins0mnia:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I am 38 year old female who has suffered from severe insomnia for 6 years which has gotten much worse. I have been taking 10 mg of Ambien which worked well initially (about a year) until is stopped working. I wake up at 2:30 AM and cannot go back to sleep. I have also tried all typically prescribed sleeping medicines to no avail. I was diagnosed with depression. I am taking 20mg of Prozac and recently 25 mg of Seroquel. I was worried about those who gained so much weight on Seroquel as I am a fitness fanatic. 1st night I took it at 7:30pm, woke up feeling very groggy and out of it all day but did sleep better the first night. 2nd night, I took it earlier 6:30pm and noticed my legs twitching. Slept and felt better taking it earlier. Haven't noticed any cravings.

April 13, 2011 5:01 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Seroquel for several years. I am taking 400mg at bedtime to help with insomnia but mostly for bipolar. I have tried other medications to help me sleep like trazodone, Ambien, and Klonopin. The Seroquel works but boy do I eat after taking this pill. I'm tired of eating so heavy after taking this pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2011 8:26 PM

Review by Wyndrake:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been treated for Schizoaffective Disorder and Bipolar 1 since 1998. I have been on many medicines and combinations of medicines. In 2006 I had been off medicines for about a year when I went into psychosis and extremely manic - I was not sleeping and could not relax. The hallucinations and delusions were troubling. I was given Seroquel and on the FIRST NIGHT I slept and slept very well for the first time in months. I woke up with a clear head and was not confused about who or where I was. I did not get the zombie feeling but I was very tired all the time - taking Seroquel 4 times a day. When my dose and frequency were reduced the sleepiness went away. (I take it just at bedtime now). I didn't get weight gain from it. Seroquel was my miracle medicine.

March 31, 2011 4:30 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: I am 49 and have Bipolar II. Been on Seroquel 400 mg for one year. Initially very drowsy, restless legs, dry mouth and blocked nose, most side effects lifted after 3 months. This medicine controlled my racing thoughts, helped me concentrate (I thought I had ADD). Ironically, despite the drowsiness it lifted my extreme exhaustion (I used to have weekly Vitamin B injections because I was so tired). I no longer feel drowsy, managed not to gain weight with the help of a dietitian and an exercise program. I do get very hungry but refuse to give in to the hunger. I also take Wellburtin and Zoloft to help the depression, tearfulness and agitation. I would recommend Seroquel to Bipolar patients.

March 29, 2011 3:22 AM

Review by angst:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been using Seroquel for about 18 months together with Pristiq. At first I took 25g at night then I added to that 100mg Seroquel XR. I seemed far more relaxed and able to cope with life a little better. However over the last 2 months the agitation became unbearable and my depression increased immensely. I have dropped 50mg of the XR over the past few days and I am already feeling less anxious and agitated.

March 26, 2011 6:43 AM

Review by senualee:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I suffer from bipolar1, OCD, very severe anxiety, and post traumatic stress disorder. I had been in a mental hospital and had taken so many medicines. I could never stop thinking to the point where I stayed awake all night. Mood swings, temper, just raving mad ,waiting to be set off. Some medicines worked for a short time, and others just didn't work. So my psychologist put me on Lamictal, but it works very slowly and you have to start it on a low dose and work your way up. I had taken it before, but my other doctor left and every other doctor wanted to put me on Lithium but I said no because I have Lupus. But when he put me on Seroquel XR, well that's when things began to look a little bit brighter. It does make you sleepy, but its a great medicine, at least for me anyway. Hope this helps.

March 23, 2011 3:54 PM

Review by ZeldaZonk:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I found this medication helpful with reducing hypomanic symptoms - mainly I took it to control episodes of violent rage which it did. It gave me tachycardia so I had to discontinue. My PROBLEM with this medicine is that it has changed my body permanently (so far - it's been 3 yrs). I was one of those people who could eat whatever I wanted, exercise, not exercise - I never gained weight. Now I'm carrying an extra 10 kgs which I am NOT happy about. I can't get rid of it.

March 17, 2011 10:16 PM

Review by juiceyjuice:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: The doctor decided to put me on Seroquel XR instead of Risperdal. Today I took it then felt the calming effects of it then I was conscious of it kicking in and I started sweating. The sweating stopped but all of a sudden I feel the same as I did before. Is this normal? I'm also still feeling impulsive and have trouble communicating with people.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2011 7:56 PM

Review by sleepatlast:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I've had severe insomnia for over three years and it was not uncommon for me not to sleep for two or three days in a row. After trying several other prescription medications, none of which worked, my Doctor placed me on Seroquel. I slept well but the side-effects were awful. It gave me severe headaches and made me feel like a total zombie the next day. However after the first week or so I decided to take one-half the amount prescribed and I still got the sleep but the side-effects disappeared. After three years of bad insonmia, I don't know what I'd do without it..

March 4, 2011 4:42 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Withdrawal is nasty in spite of doctors saying there are no withdrawal effects. It is sedative and can be impairing so drivers be careful

February 23, 2011 9:37 PM