User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Insomnia 114 reviews 102 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Quetiapine reviews 535 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Quetiapine

Review by BanSeroquelXR:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: SEVERE WEIGHT GAIN and METABOLIC SYNDROME! I had always suffered from anxiety from childhood to adulthood. My doctor prescribed a low dosage of 150 MG in December 2010, At the time I was prescribed Seroquel XR 150 MG, I weighed 96 lbs, petite frame, size 0 or 2. On January 11, 2012, I weighed in at 136 lbs. The 40 lbs of weight gain within one year went to my abdomen and I am covered in cellulite on my abs, hips, back, buttocks and thighs. I monitored my diet and intake the entire time, but the weight gain was out of control.

January 18, 2012 12:11 AM

Review by sleep-ez:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: FANTASTIC! Just wonderful, I take 75mg every night. I chew three 25s, I find this is more effective (although it leaves your tongue feeling funny) and I've been doing that for about 1 year now, and it just knocks me out! but I experience no trouble getting up 6-8 hour's later. I would highly recommend this to someone having trouble sleeping.

January 17, 2012 8:26 PM

Review by Iraq 2003-2007-2009:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I am a 38 year old male. I have been deployed to Iraq 3 times and have very bad post traumatic stress disorder and could not sleep due to very bad dreams so my DR put me on 50mg Seroquel taken once at bed time and I sleep very well, in fact without it I do not sleep. I still have bad dreams (well that's what I am told) but I do not remember them and sleep right through them. I would recommend Seroquel to anyone who might be having the same problem that I was.

January 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Review by KRCROX:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I loved how the XR worked for me. I was on 50mg at night. Was a 30 day trial to see if it would help me, it did. My GP gave me the XR then my psychiatrist switched me to the IR 25mg so I could take either 1 or 2 pills depending how I felt. That seemed to be working okay but I had another anxiety attack and it has been 5 days since and I am still not recovered. Tonight I am going to take the XR and see what tomorrow brings. Luckily I do go to my Dr. as well. I am sure that I will feel better tomorrow as I felt great the day after my first XR dose.

January 8, 2012 6:57 PM

Review by Glamrama2:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel (400 mg) for 8 years at bedtime for my bipolar II disorder - it works very well in calming the racing thoughts, the insomnia, the manic episodes and the overwhelming depression. However, it has caused some weight gain (20 lbs) and it does cause my heart to pound very hard about an hour and a half after I take it. Therefore my doctor has recently switched me to Geodon but I am still taking the Seroquel at 200 mg every other night because I was having withdrawal from stopping suddenly. Hopefully I will lose the weight I have gained on the Seroquel and will not experience the heart pounding side effect. Other than that, I highly recommend Seroquel. I give it an 8/10.

January 7, 2012 1:27 AM

Review by pooks:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I have been on Quetiapine XL 50mg (with a 25mg as required for more difficult days) for about a year now following a history of poor sleep, self-harm, overdose, binge eating, depression and hospitalization. The difference it has made to my life has been amazing, far more beneficial than all the anti-depressants I have been on over the years. At first I also struggled with the sedatory effect but with persistence it reduces and can be managed. The main reason I have decided to post is because yorkiegal mentioned being unable to empathize. I too have noticed that I do not seem to be as 'affected' by sad events/news as I feel I should be, sometimes feeling a bit disassociated.

January 6, 2012 7:00 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Seroquel is a life saver. I used to not be able to sleep, used to be stuck in my head. This has granted me a second chance to live a happy life.

January 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Review by eli c.:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Have been on and off Seroquel for a few years for severe obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and post traumatic stress disorder. Self harm has been a big compulsion for me. With this medicine it really helps reduce that and many other compulsions. Only big side effect is weight gain. But after being it for half a year I realize I'd rather be over weight then have the symptoms i typically have.

December 28, 2011 1:24 PM

Review by yorkiegal:

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Well I'm back again and have now been on quetiapine for three years. During that time I've had no major problems. In fact I've been stable enough for my doctors to agree to me having a gastric bypass to deal with my weight issue and have now lost 7 stone and have more confidence than ever before. Quetiapine helps me get to sleep but doesn't knock me out for as long as before. I average 8 hours per night, but still tend to have an afternoon nap. The gnawing anxiety only returns for short periods when under a lot of stress. The downside to quetiapine? I wonder if it makes me unable to empathize. My dad died recently and I've coped far too well. life is a nice warm cosy blur. But the alternative was torture for years.

December 20, 2011 3:27 AM

Review by stillgoofy:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Was taking it for Bipolar, am also suffering from insomnia and this helped both very much!

December 15, 2011 7:43 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: Have been on Seroquel for 4 weeks for depression. I take it before bed. Still experiencing a "hangover" type feeling in the mornings. I gained 8 pounds in the first 3 weeks I took. Makes me want to eat even when I am not hungry. However, I am not crying as much, can handle day-to-day life better, and I haven't had chest pain or racing heart beats since I started, which is a great improvement.

December 13, 2011 1:36 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've had bad reactions to every mood stabilizer I've tried, but this was truly the scariest. I had to withdraw from college because I was sleeping constantly, crying for 8 hours at a time, and hallucinating. I eventually became suicidal and landed myself in the hospital for 2 weeks. I know that everyone reacts differently and finding the bipolar cocktail is a painful trial and error process, but if you have this experience, I wanted you to know you are not alone.

December 9, 2011 3:31 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: At age 19 I have been taking Seroquel for more than a decade, as I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder extremely young. Seroquel is not a quick fix for an incurable syndrome that those diagnosed will continue to have to live with for the rest of their lives. Seroquel did not fix my sleep problems completely, although it did at first. Now I have to take extra sleep medication to quell my continually racing thoughts. I am still moody and I still do have meltdowns, but the frequency has decreased drastically. What Seroquel and other antipsychotics allow you to do is function in daily life to the best degree possible. I'm not saying everyone with manic depression should take it, because bipolar disorder is a different experience for everyone.

December 5, 2011 8:23 PM

Review by Lilylola:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I would NOT recommend taking this medication for longer than a few weeks for insomnia. It works amazingly well at first, but then, over the course of time, you will need to up the dosage to get the same result. Over time, you will find that the medication makes you groggy and can cause weight gain. Then, when you try to get off, it is very, very hard. I was only on 50mgs for 6 months, and it has taken 2 months for my sleep to occur naturally more than in 2 hour increments. Overall it made my insomnia worse.

December 5, 2011 3:49 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Seroquel 200mg for over a year for Bipolar Disorder. After years of taking antidepressants I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I was having really bad manic episodes that would last days to weeks, in which I was staying up for days at a time, spending money I didn't have and extreme OCD. My anxiety and mood swings were spinning out of control and I was failing as a mother. I started therapy and Seroquel and noticed an immediate difference in my manic episodes and insomnia. I gained weight at first but have since lost it over the course of the year. I am taking Aderrall during the day and I am back in college, working as a full time accountant and am able to relax at night with my family.

December 4, 2011 9:03 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: It helped with my OCD intrusive thoughts, but made me VERY agitated and a feeling of skin crawling. Even at 1/4 of a tablet and I was really anxious.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2011 3:45 PM

Review by Little_Baby_Nothing:

For Depression: Well, I am using 400mg per day together with Rexetin (Paroxetine) and Fluonxol, sometimes Xanax. I used to have much more medicine, because I have manic depression with tendency to self harm and sleep disorder. What I like about this medicine is that I can have kind of 3D dreams and I can sleep normally, but what I dislike is that I have low libido and that's why my boyfriend thinks that something is wrong with him (even when I say that it is just a side effect of medicines I have to take). It just seems for me like "must to do" action without any passion. And it is strange because I was very different before with great sex drive.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2011 12:00 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: Taking 25mg. Works fantastically! Takes about an hour on 25mg (used to take 50mg and it put me out in 30 mins, however I was required at least 8 hours of sleep. Many times my alarm wouldn't even wake me up on 50mg). However, like just about everyone else said, if I don't take it, I will NOT sleep. Also experienced weight gain (25 lbs in 2 months) so I am going to see if another sleep medication will work the same with less side effects. Does make me quite hungry about 30 mins after taking it, and I can't sleep on an empty stomach.

November 25, 2011 9:58 AM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Seroquel (along with a myriad of other psychiatric medication) for 10 years at a dose of 600mg at night. For a while I would get so sedated that while sleeping I would stop breathing and jump awake feeling like I was drowning. While the medicine has been very helpful, I am starting to titrate it down in the hope of losing the 15kg that I put on when I started it. I now find it impossible to sleep without it so I'm coming off it very slowly hoping that my other medicines will keep my mood balanced. Overall a really good medication.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2011 10:04 PM

Review by kashicrazy:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: BEST medication for Bipolar I Disorder! I have had psychotic episodes my entire life, up for weeks, voices, could never sleep, screaming at night! This medication was my savior. Initially I gained weight. I was eating carbs like crazy. But after my moods stabilized I started enjoying life and the weight started coming off. There are many different medicines out there. If one doesn't work, don't give up. Try something else, work with your doctor to adjust the dosage. I am up to 600mg at night. I wish I would have found this years ago!

November 12, 2011 11:40 PM

Review by Bueler:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: The first night I took this medication, I almost ran out of breath before climbing the stairs from the basement to my room (it's as if my respiratory system was somewhat repressed). It also caused some chest/heart pain. On the other hand, I slept well for those two nights. The side effects may be more dangerous than one's condition. Please be careful.

November 7, 2011 11:40 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: In October 2010 I had a psychotic attack. It appears that my old medicine escitalopram (taken since 2004) has failed to treat my ongoing depressions. Since have transferred onto this medicine about six months ago by a psychiatrist. Taken with escitalopram I gained 1.5 stones in weight. No longer taking escitalopram the weight has dropped off of me. Now taking a dosage of 200 mg daily this medicine is not working on either the hallucinations or the depression. May need a stronger dosage and/or take in combination with an antidepressant.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 1:37 PM

Review by pjsy:

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: The Seroquel makes me feel like I'm dreaming. I kind of feel like I'm losing my sense of reality. The dreams/nightmares I have seem lucid like I can't tell the difference between what I dreamt and what really happened. It is just completely changing my personality. I don't feel like myself anymore.

October 31, 2011 1:24 PM

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Depression: This medicine really helped me with both depression and sleeplessness, the only negative side effects were that I tended to need at least 9-10 hours of sleep a night rather than my usual 7-8. Also I had some weight gain due to significantly increased appetite after each dosage.

October 29, 2011 3:37 PM

Review by hadrian99:

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Insomnia: I have had Parkinson's for 10 years. Six months ago, I was prescribed Seroquel 1/2 25mg at bedtime to "clean up my sleep -anxiety". Works fine except I began wetting the bed after being asleep for 5 - 6 hours. The Seroquel makes me feel better but I have to solve the bed wetting problem.

October 28, 2011 7:44 PM