User Reviews for Mestinon

Learn more about Mestinon.

Dysautonomia 3 reviews 54 medications

Nerve Agent Pretreatment 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Mestinon reviews 12 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Mestinon

Review by gumbo z:

For Myasthenia Gravis: I have been able to swallow within 2 hours of taking my first pill

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 8:18 PM

Review by Mammy59:

For Dysautonomia: I've been on 30mg of Mestinon two times a day for about three months, I had diarrhea the first few days, more shortness of breath, and some drowsiness, after that I started noticing improvement in my cognition (the worst part of my dysautonomia & Fibromyalgia, to me), and I am able to keep 'doing' things longer than I could before. I do notice when it begins to wear off and I may go up to three times a day on it. I'm very pleased. The only negative I have is big increase in eyelid twitching, and awful muscle spasms in my feet. My neurologist has had me start B-6 for this and it helps a lot.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 6:10 PM

Review by neuroguy (taken for less than 1 month):

For Myasthenia Gravis: Double seronegative MG with only ocular symptoms for going on three years -- slight ptosis and (typically torsional) diplopia during flare ups. Edrophonium test was very positive; EMG negative. Mestinon induces absolutely no detectable change for me -- which seems odd if the edrophonium test was positive. Stress levels and possibly pollen levels tend to exacerbate symptoms. Symptoms can be held at bay with 5mg prednisone every third to fourth day heavy exercise regimen (35-45 miles running per week) diet low in wheat but high veggies and protein. Asymptomatic periods have stretched up to 9 months.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 3:37 PM

Review by Distressed NCS PT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Reversal of Nondepolarizing Muscle Relaxants: I found this medicine very hard to withstand. Side effects were bad. I hope others will benefit.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 1:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Myasthenia Gravis: I am a 33 yr old female who was diagnosed with level 4 Myasthenia Gravis about 4 1/2 yes ago. I've taken Mestinon everyday along with a large assortment of other medicines for my condition. I have found it greatly increases my mobility and function, compared to not taking it. The side effects wore off after about 6 months of use, and I really don't have any now.

June 13, 2012 11:23 AM

For Dysautonomia: Starting taking this a few months ago for dysautonomia and the POTS secondary to it. It helps the low blood pressure, low body temperature, and the gut-transit issues. It does not help the nerve pain or cognitive impairment. Sometimes when I take it a tad too soon (or even sometimes when I take a normal amount at a normal time) it will help my guts, but I will have a lot of difficulty breathing.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2012 7:15 PM

Review by rob37620yahoo.com:

For Myasthenia Gravis: I am a 49 year old white male that was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis just after my 47th birthday. It took 7 years of various tests before I was finally diagnosed. Mestinon side effects for me was hot flashes, diarrhea so bad that I often wondered which was worse; MG Symptoms or the Mesinon Side Effects. I did however tolerate it and learn to adjust dosage so I could go hiking.

November 10, 2011 10:42 PM

For Myasthenia Gravis: This medicine gave me great relief within few hours of taking it. However, I get really painful cramps in my stomach. I realized I get hungry more often. I have been on it for about three years. Within these three years I have taken about six doses. I think it is great.

June 22, 2010 8:19 AM

For Myasthenia Gravis: Mestinon helps everyone differently. I started out with ocular MG. Apparently, this drug helps most people with their ocular MG, but it doesn't do anything at all to improve my eye. My case of MG rapidly generalized, and difficulty breathing was my 2nd symptom to manifest. Mestinon improves my breathing issues somewhat, but doesn't take the shortness of breath away completely. Same with my arms and thighs; it helps, but doesn't make the weakness disappear altogether. Mestinon can cause diarrhea, but most likely won't if taken alongside a meal or with a small snack. It must be taken every 3-4 hours. Mestinon is one of the only drugs out there for MG with the least amount of unpleasant side effects.

March 31, 2010 10:27 AM

For Dysautonomia: I take 30mg (half tablet) 4 x daily. Works great for dysautonomia.

June 13, 2009 3:17 AM

For Myasthenia Gravis: I tried taking Mestinon when I was first diagnosed and it caused bad diarrhea.

March 21, 2009 12:20 AM

Review by mar020980:

For Myasthenia Gravis: I've taken Mestinon for 3 years, since I was first diagnosed with Generalized MG/Optical MG. There has been a great improvement in my weakness. I'm able to keep my eyes open, I don't lose my balance nearly as much, fall less often. I take it every 3 hours and if I miss a dose, the weakness increases. It's quite like taking a pain reliever for a severe headache in that it lessens the symptoms, but they will return as it wears off.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2008 4:44 PM