User Reviews for Propoxyphene

Also known as: Darvon, Darvon-N, PP-Cap

Learn more about Propoxyphene.

Propoxyphene Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1851 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Propoxyphene to treat Pain

Darvon (propoxyphene): "This used to be my medicine of choice for chronic pain, and while it worked great, I didn't feel impaired. The FDA removed this medicine from the market. Now I need to find another medicine that will work, for my chronic pain."

Doc J. Holliday November 13, 2014

Darvon (propoxyphene): "I found this bottle from June 2010 that I was given at the emergency room. I can't remember what my visit was for but I have had a migraine since Saturday. I grabbed this bottle in desperation and it was like a miracle. The pain slid away from my head like taking a wig off. My vision is somewhat returning but the pain relief was amazing. I want to talk to my neurologist about a prescription to keep on hand"

LaTonya D July 29, 2014

Darvon (propoxyphene): "I'm a paraplegic. I was in a SEVERE auto accident, broken vertebrae, most of my ribs were broken, broke my pelvis and ruptured my liver. After I was out of rehab, 4 months after the accident, I was put on pain meds. First I was put on 500mg Vicodin and after about 6 months I began building up an immunity so they switched me to Darvocet but they were worried about the amount I needed to take that the acetaminophen would damage my liver so after being on that for about 6 months or so they switched me to the Darvon. It worked REALLY well!!! In fact, I was able to back down on the amount I was taking because they were more effective than the Darvocet. My insurance covered it but even if it hadn't it's much less than most other meds."

TommyKnockerz (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2014

Darvon-N (propoxyphene): "I have livido reticularious with ulceration-sores on my ankles and the top of my feet. I'm not a diabetic and the cause is unknown. There are times when the sores get big and deep. Darvon and Darvocet were the only painkillers that helped. The sores become very, very tender and sore inside and all around them. The Darvon or Darvocet were the only ones that helped with the soreness. It kept me working where the other pain medications would leave my feet so sore it's hard to walk. Not only did it help it was also inexpensive compared to the others. I have tried everything from Oxycotin to the fentenyl pain patch. Am very upset they took it off the market. I tried methadone and it does help better than the others but still not as well as Darvon."

gmorett (taken for 10 years or more) May 12, 2012

Darvon-N (propoxyphene): "I am very upset that Lily withdrew Darvon-N. I thought it was a wonderful medicine in that it helped me. I suffer from TMJ and Darvon-N allieviated the pain every time I took one. The side effects were just like any other medicine so I really don't see why they removed it from the market."

farnight March 13, 2012

"I can't believe it's not on the market any more!"

Anonymous June 9, 2011

"I have been taking propoxyphene for several years for severe arthritic pain in my shoulders. I take it with either ibuprofen or aspirin, twice a day. Ibuprofen or aspirin don't do much to relieve the pain by themselves, but with propoxy, the results are amazing. No bad side effects. Using propoxyphene allows me to keep up with my activities AND maintain a sense of humor. If I forget to take it, the pain comes back with a vengeance. I'm sorry it's going off the market & don't know what I'll do for a substitute."

Anonymous January 7, 2011

"I was prescribed propoxyphene after having my first child, which went smoothly, but after complaining about my discomfort while in the hospital and nurses checking on me and my recovery. Everyone I had, said I was very swollen, after they started giving me propoxyphene I was much more comfortable. My doctor prescribed me some after I got home and it helped me take care of my new baby without any side effects."

heather_b October 21, 2010

Darvon (propoxyphene): "My grandmother has been perscribed Darvon for many years now. She has recently been diagnosed with liver cancer and to deal with the pain has been almost handed a whole pharmacy. But nothing (i.e. Morphine, Vicodin) touches her pain or is as fast acting as her Darvon. I would definitely say that for her, Darvon is a life saver."

Anonymous August 29, 2010

Darvon (propoxyphene): "Darvon was only one of two medicines, which didn't really help. Sedating but no real pain relief, sort of a distraction from pain. I was being treated for prophylaxis of tuberculosis with Isoniazid (INH), so my options on pain medicines were a bit limited to "nothing with acetaminophen" -which mostly left the strong painkillers - finally MD found some Vicoprofen, which worked well but not "too well"."

CrazyMed July 8, 2010

"This medicine is awesome. I'm on it now for really bad tendinitis."

Anonymous March 1, 2010

"I was so happy to re-discover Darvon. I had taken it 30 years earlier for severe menstrual cramps when I was in high school and it worked great. I re-discovered it because I have a terrible reaction to adhesives used with tooth-crowning. Lortab and various other current drugs, did not work, but the oldie but goodie Darvon did. I now use it for general pain associated with MS and it works like a charm. BONUS - It's much cheaper than the newer, highly addictive pain killers."

Anonymous November 30, 2009

"I took propoxyphene several years ago for a neck ache and had good luck with it so when I developed a moderately painful shoulder pain that wouldn't go away I asked my doctor for it again. I am limited to what I can take for pain because I take anti-coagulants but propoxyphene does not seem to affect my prothrombin-time. It reduces my pain with no side effects that I have noticed. I only have taken it for short term use though, so have no long term experience with it."

Anonymous November 23, 2009

"Took only once and it made me sick to my stomach with mild hallucinations. Haven't used it for a year and switched to Ultram, but was considering giving it a second try. "

sharon007 November 19, 2009

"It is okay for the arthritis pain I have everyday. I was taken off of Vicodin for my pain. I was on it for 13 years and compared to the Vicodin I would give it a moderate rating nothing special about it. A very low dose, it is like taking Motrin to me."

Anonymous September 21, 2009

"Works great! Especially during those times when the weather changes."

Anonymous September 14, 2009

"It seems to be effective after a few hours. Numbs pain with little to no stomach upset. Always eat with them."

Zangalor August 21, 2009

Darvon-N (propoxyphene): "Started to take Darvon after 642 were no longer available. They were as good as the 642's if not better. I live in Canada though and they are very hard to get. I've lived with chronic nerve pain since 1986 and Darvon helps me keep my job. "

Cyril11 June 8, 2009

Darvon (propoxyphene): "Not good at all"

chadinpain April 13, 2009