User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 324 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"I got an endoscopy and the anesthesia was great fell asleep and woke up great. Everything was good."

Alexinys April 28, 2016

"Had this for IVF egg collection. I was so anxious reading that sedation you can be awake and it Can be painful. Boy was I wrong. I was under for 10 mins and woke up as though I have had the best sleep in the world no dreams, nada. I woke up feeling amazing. I had the equivalent of 2 paracetamol whilst under and have needed no other pain relief since the procedure. I feel better Than I have felt in a very long time. I think propaganda must have some really good anti anxiotic purpose for sure. I am now 24 hrs past procedure and still feel fab. Wonderful stuff!!!"

Happy wifey April 16, 2016

"I had my first preventative care colonoscopy today (As a male, I joined the "Over 50 Club" this year), and I have to say that I was a bit ambivalent about being sedated for this procedure. As soon as I was administered Propofol intravenously, I was out within 5 seconds! The next thing I knew, I was being awakened in the recovery room, and was out within 10 minutes. The only after effect of my colonoscopy, was feeling a bit crampy, as if I had eaten Mexican food, that was heavy on the beans (sorry for that visual). There was no nausea or other adverse reactions afterwards. All in all, the procedure and administering of Propofol was great!"

VidPS (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Got my Endoscopy yesterday and really was a pleasant experience, I also dreamed and suddenly I woke up and everything was done. No pain or discomfort. Great."

aliosha April 14, 2016

"I had my second preventative colonoscopy yesterday and was administered propofol both times. I had incredible dreams with vivid colors, sights and smells with my first experience and joked with the nurses and doctor about letting me sleep just a few minutes longer because i was in the middle of the best dream ever :) I had no dreams yesterday but like most people have said, it's extremely fast acting and I woke up in recovery feeling as if i had a full night's sleep. No residual effects or ill feelings afterwards and went about my day as normal except for driving. I highly recommend this sedation if you've had bad experiences in the past with other types of anesthesia. Research based off of your own medical history. A+ for me."

Jmo69 March 15, 2016

"I'm a 66 yr old healthcare executive woman, hyper active working individual whose brain does not rest like other normal persons . I am always thinking and as a CEO of a large company I never have enough time to rest my brain activity. I even sleep listening to alternative radio all night long! I had 3 C sections and gallbladder surgeries in my 20's and 30's and I resisted the anesthesia. Yesterday I went in for a Biopsy through a Hyperoscopic exam and Dilation and Curettage of my uterus which was bleeding post menopause. Through the IV they administered Propofol, I went out like a light switch, and had pleasant dreams! It's been now 22 hours from my procedure and I still feel calm, sleepy and relaxed. Great unexpected experience! WOW!"

Zsazsa VICTUS February 20, 2016

"I was given propofol 3 years ago when I had total joint replacement surgery, and it was a very positive experience. The onset of sedation was almost immediate. I remember talking to one of the nurses in the operating room, and the next thing I knew I was back in my hospital room feeling awake and as though nothing had happened. In fact, I kept asking the nurse if she was sure I had already had the surgery. Another very positive aspect of propofol over other anesthesia was that I didn't need a breathing tube, because I was breathing on my own during the operation. I plan to request propathol sedation in the future if I should need any other surgery,"

feekie#1 February 17, 2016

"Had Propofal for an 8 hour esophagectomy. Worked great I don't have any recollection of being put to sleep. I was talking to my surgeon and then I woke up in recovery surgery complete. No sickness at all and it was as if no time past no dreaming nothing at all. Took about an hour to fully wake up but then I was fine."

jetguy February 12, 2016

"Had another colonscopy done and highly recommend propofal. I met with Anaesthetist the day before and did my own research. Had a couple of questions, most likely because of Michael Jackson. A little burning when drug is administered and I was able to taste it as some patients are. No side effects except for sleeping most of the day."

Ms. Ruby RED (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"Was given this drug for colonoscopy today. Started vomiting and choking while the GI Doctor was excising a very large polyp. He only got 80 percent of it because I was choking and now I have to go through the procedure all over again!"

champs mom January 22, 2016

"I am a 32 year old male, and have been experiencing some pretty scary health issues. About 8 months ago my hair started falling out in random patches, and I have lost pounds in the same time. I was schedules for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Yesterday I checked in for that. I am a super nervous person. Have been diagnosed with severe panic disorder caused by anxiety. I have always feared general anesthesia as I have some sleep apnea issues. Could not believe how quickly I went out and then was in the recover area with a juice box! No more worries about this drug again. Also had a runny nose and slight eye irritation. It surprises me that none of you would know that its from the oxygen in your nose though? Obviously."

thislifeishard January 21, 2016

"I was given propofol while my orthopedic surgeon repaired my broken arm (ORIF). I was also given a nerve block to numb my arm from shoulder to finger tips. I didn't feel a thing and I don't remember a thing, it worked perfectly! No anesthesia hangover or queasiness that you sometimes get from general anesthesia. Highly recommend!"

Chameleons January 19, 2016

"I woke up feeling pretty good, like after you've had a good night's rest and feel slightly euphorically sleepy. I asked if I was going to see the doctor and the nurse said the doctor already came. I had no memory of time I was awake. Then had energy the rest of the day, was talkative, went to the movies, felt great but slightly racy, like just a little too much coffee. It was the next day, when it took me forever to even remember what I had for breakfast. I actually had to strain to remember. Then I realized I couldn't read anything. It was like my brain was "slipping" all day long. It's been 48 hours now and I feel like I'm almost back to normal but am going to take it easy for a few days, not do a lot of driving and running around."

justaname January 18, 2016

"I had an epidural using propofol as the anesthesia. Three days after the procedure, I felt light headed and collapsed causing much damage to my left knee, head, face, and back. The Doc said it was impossible that the drug stayed in my system that long. I know when something goes wrong after surgery, and something did."

capt. jim (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"It was like going to sleep when you were a little kid and you were very tired and your bed felt delicious."

ThereIsNoNameThatIsn'tTaken (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"Went right out and woke right up. Very restful and do not remember a thing. Had it for a colonoscopy. No after effects."

Lin5555 January 11, 2016

"Had a colonoscopy on 11/07/15. On the side that the propofol was administered which was my left side I am having spasm on my left neck as well as headache on that side also earache. I thought it may be a ear infection but, I have never had an ear infection before. Going to the doctor Monday to see what is really going on it has been two months since I had the procedure done."

Mrs. Thomas (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

"I had outpatient surgery last week and received propofol to induce general anesthesia. By the time the anesthetist removed the syringe from the IV tubing after injecting it, I already felt it taking effect and lost consciousness within a few seconds. Within the blink of an eye, I awoke in the recovery room with no ill effects. After reading some of the comments here, I worried that the propofol injection would be painful, but there was absolutely no pain - did not feel a thing."

Joel62 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"Recently had outpatient surgery. This Drug will rapidly leave your system. This is fine if surgery completed. Although my surgery is considered minor, it is not pleasant to come to during a procedure. Never again."

Another Choice n December 19, 2015

"I would rate propofol 8/10 because I had a very intense burning that traveled up my arm for 20-30 seconds during administration. It seems this can be avoided by administering lidocaine first, which not all anesthesiologists do. Burning aside, I couldn't have had a better experience with sedation as I did not experience any side effects, was fairly functional the rest of the day (did sleep a fair bit), and did not remember any of the procedure."

26feetofchaos (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I was given propofol yesterday for upper endoscopy. I am a extremely anxious person and am terrified of medical procedures. This drug was amazing and I had no issues had a great experience. This drug wore off extremely quickly. No side effects. Don't let your anxiety get in the way of your life! It will wreck you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"Agree with everyone about out like a light and feel great minutes after an upper endoscopy. Do want to share that I woke up the next morning with charley-horse-like pain in my upper thigh. Am continuing to have muscle pain in thighs and calves 36 hours later. Spoke to anesthesiologist and he said it shouldn't be related to the drug. He told me the name of the drug and drug sites on line do list it as a side effect. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having blood clots or other life-threatening symptoms. Hopefully, it will go away soon. Just be aware this can happen and maybe take Aleve or some such for pain."

Gladys Over December 11, 2015

"I had an epidural injection in my low back yesterday no problems with the propofal however when I took my regular doses of pain medication that day I had a very deep sleep that is very unusual for me and it was actually alarming to my husband who had to shake me to get my response after over 15 hours time since the sedation."

Groggy Glenda December 10, 2015

"Had a preventative ( first one cause over 50) colonoscopy yesterday. It took a little longer than usual as they removed some polyps so they gave me a very large amount. I woke up during the last 5 or 10 minutes of the procedure. The day after (today) I had to leave work because I could still not focus or concentrate and I feel weak. Hope it goes away soon!!! I have to think at my job as a machinist and could not comprehend the match I have to do today."

celt2006 December 8, 2015

"Went in for a colonoscopy yesterday. I was pretty anxious but they reassured me that I would fall asleep within 20 seconds and wake up and ask when I'm having the procedure. They had me turn over on my side and told me they were administering the propofol, and there may be a burning sensation. I felt nothing, and I was probably out in less than 3 seconds. Woke up feeling perfectly fine, no soreness and no wooziness like I had just been knocked out."

abcfd December 6, 2015