Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 205 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

Review by shakerr (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and was really anxious about the sedation. I've had conscious sedation before and was ALWAYS aware of the procedure being performed. Not so with Propofol. I was out in about 5 seconds. Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. I felt pretty stoned for an hour or so afterwards, but it wasn't unpleasant!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 4:11 PM
Review by Terrib24 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I went in for a colonoscopy today and was put under with propofol. It took affect right away ...after maybe four deep breaths. I was groggy for Maybe 15 minutes after waking up in recovery. However, I have been suffering from major allergy like symptoms all afternoon and evening...sneezing, watery eyes, congestion, then nose running. Feel fairly miserable...not from procedure but from sneezing.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:46 AM
Review by DC2 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: While propofol is great for knociking you out of uncomfortable procedures, I've used it twice and both times have had a runny nose (i.e., constant dripping) for a couple of days following its use. This last time when I told the anestesiologist he said that wasn't related. But I have the exact same problem as last time.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2014 3:39 PM
Review by djrmk: User Rating:

propofol: Having had numerous bad experiences with general anesthesia, I was quite concerned about another with a tooth extraction. I was given Zofran prior to my procedure and then propofol as the anesthesia. This is awesome stuff. I felt the medicine begin to work, within seconds of it being put into my vein. Before I knew it I was walking to the recovery room with the help of a nurse. All I heard was "she's drunk" and "drunk" I was, a pleasant, happy drunk, which lasted only minutes after the procedure. No burning upon administration, and no nausea or vomiting. This stuff rocks!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2014 11:44 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I'm a horrible patient, and very anxious about medical procedures being done. I was concerned about the level of sedation I would be under, as I didn't know if it would be like my wisdom teeth removal where they said I would be sedated and not remember, but I was conscious and remembered every second of it. There were no problems during my endoscopy using propofol today. They prepped me and brought me back to the procedure room where the anesthesiologist gave me a light sedative to start. A few minutes later he administered the propofol. I remember asking him "is that the propofol" and him telling me "yes", and then I was out. All the way, lights out, asleep. No dreams. Woke up in recovery feeling tired which wore off quickly.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2014 5:21 PM
Review by bobber down (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Diprivan (propofol): I have a psuedocholonesterase Def. (allergic to normal anesthesia). I had a laparoscopic procedure done while under Diprivan and had no side effects from this. Psuedocholonesterase Def. can be deadly so check this out as an option.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2014 5:59 PM
Review by Mack Baggins: User Rating:

propofol: I went in today for an Upper GI endoscopy and it went fine. They put oxygen into my nose, hooked me up on monitors and told me to lay on my side. They said "We're going to start giving you the medication, take deep breathes" I looked at my hand with the IV and saw the white propofol going in then rested my head, next thing I know I woke up and was on my way to recovery. It was as if I blinked and then I was in the room. No dreams, No sleep feeling, almost as if I was just dead during those times. Very effective.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 14, 2014 5:02 AM
Review by Duckeyboy: User Rating:

propofol: Propofol was amazing. When I was in the operating room and the nurse injected Propofol in my arm and told me to go ahead and close my eyes, so I did and then I decided to open eyes and I was already in recovery room. I cannot recall being falling asleep.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2014 2:56 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: Eased me In really well - I was awake and calm and happy then next thing (felt like a few seconds) I was in the recovery room. Felt a bit weak for a while and not quite with it. But that wore off. Would recommend

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 7, 2014 3:35 PM
Review by drmx123 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I had my second colonoscopy at age 61, this time with Propofol (Diprivan) and it went much better than the first one ten years earlier with a different sedative (when I woke up in the middle of the procedure in considerable pain). It was injected into an IV in the back of my right hand and I was literally out like a light in about ten seconds. The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room and I couldn't believe it was over. The only side effects were a sore throat (I had on an oxygen mask so that may have been a contributing factor) and very low blood pressure for about thirty minutes afterwards.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 3, 2014 5:47 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I had a "double", that is a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy (EGD) done at the same appointment. They used propofol for the anesthesia, it worked wonderfully! Out like a lightbulb before the procedure, then I came to after the procedure and they wheeled me into recovery. No real groginess or anything like that, although I was a little "tipsy", and was like a jolly old drunk for a little while ..... my wife had to tell me to stop being so obnoxious!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 30, 2013 12:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propofol: Had a colonoscopy yesterday...went in feeling perfectly fine, woke up after procedure very congested and sneezing, with runny nose and watery eyes. Sneezing continued all day, went through an entire box of tissues. Took a dose of Benadryl before bed and woke up today perfectly fine. After reading others' similar experiences, I'm sure this must have been a side effect of the propofol.

December 11, 2013 8:49 PM
Review by benseesdf (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I had my first colonoscopy today. I used OSMO PREP and was concerned about taking so many pills. After the first phase, I was a little nauseated, but my doctor had given me Zofran which helped tremendously. I was given Propofol during the procedure, and did not feel a thing, or remember a thing. I had no side effects from the medicine whatsoever. This was the way to go for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 2, 2013 5:04 PM
Review by Eliz propofol:

propofol: I had a colonoscopy today and was feeling fine before and on drive home - my nose started running and I was sneezing. I was given propofol. I was a little groggy right after waking up, but felt fine by the time I got home. It has been about 6 hrs and I am still experiencing flu like symptoms - runny nose & sneezing - mostly on one side. 5 yrs ago I had a colonoscopy and did not experience any of these symptoms. I am glad to see others have experienced the same symptoms ...

November 6, 2013 6:51 PM
Review by Horrific burning on site of injection. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: I had an endoscopic procedure yesterday and they used Propofol instead of Versed . I am 61 years old and was told of a slight sting . I had about 60 seconds (long seconds) of a feeling like my hand was set on fire. I will never let anyone use this drug on me again. I'm 61 and healthy and can't imagine if I was a frail little old lady or man given this drug . The pain was horrific.

October 30, 2013 9:59 PM
Review by Aaanonym: User Rating:

propofol: Yesterday I had a conisation using profopol to make me sleep. It was the first time I did general anesthesia and I was literally freaking out to get it first time because of the side effects etc. plus, I have asthma, few allergies. Everything went super well, I felt asleep immediately, just felt one second of burning in my veins and slept. Woke up with no nausea, no headache, nothing.

October 26, 2013 4:00 AM

propofol: Just had propofol today for colonoscopy. Everything went great with the sedation, but now 10 hours later, my nose is running continuously and my right eye is tearing. I tried Benadryl but that did not help..surprised to see how many people are having the same reaction.

October 11, 2013 7:32 PM
Review by Nadia25: User Rating:

propofol: I was administered Propofol for a colonoscopy for the first time. I did work like magic - fast out, fast in. But as I got home, I began sneezing, had itchy eyes and tears, itchy and running nose like I had a severe cause of allergy, which I never had before. The nurse called me the next day and asked how I was doing. When I described my symptoms, she said it is in no way related to what was done to me during colonoscopy. I was unconvinced and Googled propofol's side effects. I am glad that quite a few people had the same side effect of Propofol. I wish doctors and nurses know about this and warn their patients, and recommend a remedy. This side effect is not a big deal, but I wish I knew about it and was prepared. I hope it subsides soon.

September 10, 2013 7:53 PM
Review by SAGWIS:

propofol: I likewise experienced continuous sneezing immediately after a colonoscopy, which continued for several hours. My right nostril was itching and nose "running" for several hours. Glad to read similar side effects from propofol.

September 1, 2013 7:01 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

propofol: I had ambulatory surgery. After this anesthetic, experienced jitteriness and heart palpitations while at home recovering that day. Still felt wonky the next day.

August 2, 2013 10:01 PM
Review by cbxt574: User Rating:

propofol: Had a colonoscopy on Wednesday and endoscopy on Friday. Propofol was used both times. I felt nothing at the injection site as it was being administered, went right out and woke up less groggy than I usually am every morning. No fear of having these procedures done again because the propofol kept me completely out. However, this morning, about 18 hours after the endoscopy, I began to have some trouble breathing. I don't have any known respiratory issues. When this didn't go away in a couple of hours I ended up in the quick care clinic. They didn't find anything. My oxygen saturation was 99% so I was actually breathing. Wondering if this is just a different respiratory manifestation/side effect of this medicine. I would still take it again.

July 13, 2013 2:48 PM
Review by Ridge Rider: User Rating:

propofol: I also had Propofol (with Fentanyl) for a colonoscopy recently. While a nurse was hooking up sensors, the surgeon explained the Fentanyl was for pain; Propofol for sedation. Overall, he said I would be very drowsy during the procedure. He pushed a pre-measured syringe of each with a warning that Propofol might burn a bit. The Fentanyl produced an almost immediate light rush. A few seconds later the nurse asked if I felt any burning. I answered "No, but my wrist is a little sore." My wrist immediately went numb and as I stared at it, my world went blank. The next thing I knew, I was prying my eyes open, feeling pretty drowsy as well as half tipsy. Someone said "All done!" and wheeled me to recovery. No bad side effects; good stuff!

July 11, 2013 5:48 PM
Review by lanew:

propofol: I had propofol during a routine colonoscopy today. This was amazing. I was out in a flash and woke up feeling great. Then before I even got out of the operating room I started sneezing uncontrollably. I could barely stop sneezing to ask if it was related. I've had IV sedation plenty of times, but this was the first propofol experience. The nurse said she'd heard of reactions like this, but was not concerned. Its been 12 hours now. I am still sneezing. Its like a nerve at the top right side of my nose, just under my eye is irritated and won't calm down. So I will continue to sneeze until it stops. I did sleep a couple of hours with no irritation at all, but while awake the annoying feeling continues.

June 21, 2013 5:59 PM
Review by robin34: User Rating:

propofol: Went in yesterday for a upper/lower colonoscopy. I'm a very nervous person, I was told if I gargle with the numbing stuff for your throat it saves on getting a lot of propofol. Well I remember feeling weird, off I wen,t woke up in recovery. I couldn't believe how fast I woke up.

June 19, 2013 2:10 AM
Review by CysticFibrosis (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

propofol: Went through a bronchoscopy (lung scope) which took approx. 1 hr 10 min. They gave me a vile of the propofol through an IV. I previously had this done with an endo and both times I was impressed with the post-procedure effects. No nausea, aches etc. I remember everything up till the time I fell asleep, and there was no discomfort! Great stuff.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate