Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 211 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

Review by MikeAdr:

The doctor used propofol for a colonoscopy. I was out very quickly and recovered without any recollect of the procedure or a "hangover'. I would certainly recommend this for this type of procedure. Overall the procedure was very uneventful and pleasant.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 11:58 AM

I had propofol for a colonoscopy and EGD. I was told afterwards that I was hard to sedate and was given additional dosage. I had no recollection of getting dressed after the procedure and felt I was "not right" for over 24hrs afterward. I had 2 previous procedures using different medication with no problems.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2015 10:27 AM

Review by wondergirl55 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and went out quickly, didn't remember anything. Thought it was great! Actually told the Dr. he could give me more of that stuff. But later in the day, at home after a nap, I became very aggressive to the point of violence and I am a gentle person by nature. I slapped and hit my 30 yr old daughter, argued with her and her father, and when he came toward me I thought he was going to hit me and swung my leg out to kick him in the stomach. I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this before. Totally out of character for me!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2015 1:41 AM

Review by Muffy III:

I had this medicine twice. I had it for a colonoscopy and then an esophagogastrodudenoscopy. Both times, it was a great experience. I went to sleep and woke up with no hangover, not drowsy, perfectly fine. I'd do it again with no hesitation.

January 16, 2015 11:50 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

The oral surgeon sedated me (via I-V) with propofol for an hour to extract 4 wisdom teeth. It was wonderful. I dosed off immediately and the next thing I know I wake up an hour later and the procedure was over. No side effect what-so-ever. Amazing medicine!

January 6, 2015 11:16 PM

Review by Brodie75 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a propofol infusion for a 40 minute operation today and had no problems whatsoever. Like many "reviewers" here, it was my first time undergoing general anesthesia and I was quite nervous as I did not know what to expect. However, if I knew beforehand what I know now, I would not have worried a single bit. Once the line was in and the infusion began, the doctor said I would start to feel sleepy soon and within 10 seconds I was asleep. There was no discomfort or unpleasant side effects. I woke up feeling happy and positive, just thirsty and slightly groggy, which passed quickly. Within 30 mins I was dressed and I left the hospital within an hour. I have felt relaxed all day. Marvellous medicine and experience, I will not worry next time!

December 23, 2014 9:01 AM

Review by Matt Mc (taken for less than 1 month):

Colonoscopy. Went to sleep right away then woke up ready to go after a soda. Worked great!

December 17, 2014 10:47 AM

Review by Kelli from Texas (taken for less than 1 month):

Had never been hospitalized before and had to have a stent placed for a kidney stone. Don't even remember the feeling of falling asleep. Was on the OR table getting monitoring electrodes placed and then instantly in the recovery room and felt fine. Transported to hospital room and was immediately able to drink a soda and eat a sandwich. No tired or sleepy feeling all. Will request same for upcoming lithotripsy procedure.

November 29, 2014 1:03 AM

Review by cars67:

I had a colonoscopy, this was the second time. Both times Propofol worked well, I was out during the whole time, so felt no pain. One difference was this second time when I woke up, I started sneezing and my nose was running. After that my eyes started watering, and I have been having problems for days after with that with my nose running and eyes stinging. Allergy medicines have had no effect, the only thing that has helped somewhat is Nasacort. Prior to the procedure I was not having problems with allergies. I have found other anecdotal evidence on the internet of other people having these issues, it seems as if this is an unadvertised side effect.

October 18, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by Lola49 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have yearly EGD/FLEXSIG scopes and the only problem I have ever had with propafol is it makes my bowls run off for about 4 hours after waking, I don't have a colon (have a J-pouch ) and it causes skin breakdown due to my bowls being so acidic.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 1:09 PM

Review by badakbuddy:

I'm 66 and had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I'd never had a general anesthetic before, and didn't know what to expect. On the operating table when he said he was beginning to administer the medicine I thought I should start feeling sleepy within a few seconds. Then the nurse said the procedure is over and asked how I felt. It was just that fast. No feeling of losing or regaining consciousness. Afterward I was completely clear-headed and in good spirits. I couldn't ask for any better experience for general anesthesia.

September 17, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by cookiebaker1:

This was my second Colonoscopy in 5 weeks, as the Doctor was unable to access my cecum. So I had my second one September 5, 14. I was given Propofol again, only this time I was also given Lidocaine with it. The Dr. started with propofol then added the lidocaine in my iv. Was out shortly after. I woke up feeling okay but my insides hurt and had extensive bruising on my left side, it looked like I had a bad reaction to lidocaine. It turns out it was really bad bruising from all the pushing down they did to complete the procedure...all benign polyps. Next test is in 3 years.

September 11, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Cattail:

I was having an endoscopy. I usually had versed and it was great. This particular time I was given propofol and had ventricular tachycardia. When I woke up the MDs eyes were huge and he informed me about what took place. Never again. I will write it across my forehead next time!

September 10, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by mandymoo68:

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was out like a lamp. But I did experience some pain and woke up briefly during the procedure. I was quickly popped back to sleep. I remember the doctor apologizing and saying he would give me some more. Overall not my worst experience in life. I woke up shouting too !! Was it a girl or boy?

September 2, 2014 1:20 PM

Review by Schnauzermom:

I was given Propafol today for my first colonoscopy ever (I am 65). I experienced tingling that rose up my arm and a distinct metallic taste in the mouth immediately after injection. I had just enough time to comment verbally on the sensation, then the next thing I knew I was waking up. I do not remember anything about the procedure and experienced no pain afterwards. The medical staff did comment that I coughed during my procedure. I felt a little groggy for 5-10 minutes after awaking, but was steady on my feet shortly after. The only side effects I've experienced are transient coughing and a headache a couple of hours after the procedure. The latter may have been due to low blood sugar from the colonoscopy prep.

August 29, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Jim M.:

I'm 59 years old. What a great experience. I had an umbilical hernia repaired and surgery lasted about 1 hour. I tried to catch myself going under but it was like turning off a light switch, that fast. The only problem I had was I went #2 on the recovery gurney. The nurse said that was not unusual but It was still embarrassing. Absolutely no other side effects. I had Propofol two other times and never had a loss of bowel control. Anesthesia has come a long way and I wouldn't hesitate to ask for this in the future.

August 26, 2014 6:42 PM

Review by Nnbbll:

Had propofol for colonoscopy. I have had many colonoscopies as I have Crohn's and was always in significant pain on sedatives. This time I was out like a light and woke up feeling very peaceful. No longer will I dread colonoscopies.

August 13, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by VW&VH (taken for less than 1 month):

Muscle aches from neck to ankles.

July 25, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by Bill L.:

I had a Colonoscopy which was the first one I had. I am 54 years old and elected to have this to be proactive. I have to say I am normally nervous when General Anesthesia is administered because the first time I had surgery (Neck Surgery) I had a violent reaction involving nausea and vomiting. I had never had Diprivan (propofol) as an anesthetic but I was told by the Doctor that this medicine has an anti-nausea effect. He was absolutely correct. It was an awesome experience. I am a person who gets sick from taking even mild pain pills and any kind of anesthesia. I have to say it was great. I had no side effects whatsoever. The recovery time was nothing. I felt great when I came out of it. It felt like taking a short nap.

July 21, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Pancake78:

Diprivan (propofol): I had foot surgery in 09' . This was my very first surgery ever. I had never been put to sleep my entire life. I was given Diprivan (propofol) as the anesthetic. I would have to say that if I ever needed another surgery, I would request this anesthesia. It was wonderful. I remember absolutely nothing about the surgery at all and it felt like it took like 2 minutes. However, I remember the anesthetist saying one of the side effects was I was going to feel rushed or in a hurry when I woke up. I had the complete opposite effect. I was nice and comfy in my wheelchair, and wasn't planning on leaving any time soon apparently. I was in a very happy place. I would recommend this to anyone very apprehensive or nervous about any kind of surgery.

June 28, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Melsongs:

Diprivan (propofol): I had my first screening colonoscopy with propofol. I was out within a few seconds of administration of it. I woke up after 30 minutes with no side effects. I was up and around within an hour and I had normal meal after. I did feel usually "high" or happy afterward, I don't know if it was the propofol or the good results of the colonoscopy.

June 5, 2014 10:22 AM

Review by sunshineblossoms:

Just received a D&C today and had to be put to sleep with propofol and I must tell you it is amazing. I was so scared to be put under because this was my first surgery. I'm 21. The anesthesiologist talked to me the whole time. When the medication was injected into my IV it wasn't painful but it did go up my shoulder and I could actually taste it but after that all I remember was looking at the clock and them strapping me down on the surgery table and then I was in recovery. It's that simple. It's just like a regular nap. I woke up tired but no nausea, I wasn't groggy, no headache. I felt great. Would definitely do this medicine again. Hope this helps for those who are afraid like I was. Don't be. It's as easy as 123.

May 21, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Adrian.Rebrean:

I was given propofol IV prior to a colonoscopy procedure. I was out within seconds of administration of the medicine. The next thing I remember is half an hour later being told that all the procedure has finished. I had no nausea, or other side effects. I ordered a taxi and went straight to the office, where I worked for the rest of the day.

April 26, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Alisonw1979:

I have had a few "twillight" surgeries and this was my first time having Propofol. I can honestly say it is the BEST anesthetic I have ever had. It is literally like a light switch on/off. I was given a sedative before hand because I have bad anxiety and then was wheeled into surgery. I was given the Propofol and within 30 seconds was gone and the next time I knew I heard a nurse calling my name in recovery giving me water. I had no nausea and I felt a little buzzed the next day but I could function. I wasn't sleepy or groggy at all.

April 13, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by shakerr (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and was really anxious about the sedation. I've had conscious sedation before and was ALWAYS aware of the procedure being performed. Not so with Propofol. I was out in about 5 seconds. Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. I felt pretty stoned for an hour or so afterwards, but it wasn't unpleasant!

April 8, 2014 4:11 PM