User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Review Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 216 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"This drug administered for colonoscopy. Drifted to sleep in seconds and woke very easily. I felt relaxed the rest of the day but not out of it. I did experience mild itching but nothing more serious."

Tutso May 22, 2015

"I had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy on May 18 and Propofol was used. Like many other comments on here, you are out in seconds. No pain or discomfort. You wake up feeling s little groggy, but that's all. No need to be frightened of any procedure if you are being put under with this drug."

AdRoKo May 19, 2015

"I was scared to death of being put to sleep, as I never been put under before, the anesthesiologist explained he was going to administer the drug now, he knew I was nervous so he said take a deep breath, count backwards from 20 to myself or out loud to give everyone something to laugh about, that made me chuckle, I counted 20,19,18 and that's the last thing I remember! It literally felt like seconds and I was opening my eyes in recovery, feeling very relaxed, I was amazed. I am no longer afraid, and I think this is a very wonderful drug, it works extremely fast, and leaves no unpleasant side effects."

Jen43322 May 10, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy a few days ago and propofol was used as the anesthesia. The doctor said he was injecting it into my IV, and I felt a little burning sensation in my hand, and then I was awake and in the recovery room. No drowsiness, no nausea - I drank some juice, got dressed, and went home, where I felt absolutely fine the rest of the day!"

Propofol was wonderful ! April 30, 2015

"Have had some horrible experiences with anesthesia but my last 3 experiences with propofol was excellent. Woke up clear headed, no nausea. It's been used for my last 2 colonoscopies and a gall bladder surgery. Has really alleviated my anxiety over procedures, surgery."

Cherie P (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"The doctor used propofol for a colonoscopy. I was out very quickly and recovered without any recollect of the procedure or a "hangover'. I would certainly recommend this for this type of procedure. Overall the procedure was very uneventful and pleasant."

MikeAdr March 19, 2015

"I had my first general anesthetic yesterday, propofol, for a circumcision. I'm over 40 and procedure recently became necessary.I was nervous as never had general and also have asthma,various allergies and had a slight chest infection.Have to say it was really effective. Ihad needle put in, slight warm sensation,t asted it in my mouth, passing moment of dizzy,what's happenin feeling and next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. Woke up feeling fine, just like a nights sleep. Anyone going in for this has nothin to worry about"

tpmps (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

"I had propofol for a colonoscopy and EGD. I was told afterwards that I was hard to sedate and was given additional dosage. I had no recollection of getting dressed after the procedure and felt I was "not right" for over 24hrs afterward. I had 2 previous procedures using different medication with no problems."

Anonymous February 28, 2015

"I am 28 years old, was given propofol for a colonoscopy. I was extremely nervous before the procedure because I had a horrible experience with sedation, apparently I cannot be sedated, I was wide awake. So I was scared this would be the same, I was wrong. I remember the medicine being put in my IV, my arm started burning a little, and the next thing I knew I was waking up and the nurse saying you're all done! Immediately I was awake, no grogginess or side effects. I had a snack and soda and was ready to leave. I felt fine the rest of the day. I am having an EGD for GERD symptoms today, getting propofol again so not too worried."

cocoa86 February 26, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy yesterday and went out quickly, didn't remember anything. Thought it was great! Actually told the Dr. he could give me more of that stuff. But later in the day, at home after a nap, I became very aggressive to the point of violence and I am a gentle person by nature. I slapped and hit my 30 yr old daughter, argued with her and her father, and when he came toward me I thought he was going to hit me and swung my leg out to kick him in the stomach. I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this before. Totally out of character for me!"

wondergirl55 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

"I had this medicine twice. I had it for a colonoscopy and then an esophagogastrodudenoscopy. Both times, it was a great experience. I went to sleep and woke up with no hangover, not drowsy, perfectly fine. I'd do it again with no hesitation. "

Muffy III January 16, 2015

"The oral surgeon sedated me (via I-V) with propofol for an hour to extract 4 wisdom teeth. It was wonderful. I dosed off immediately and the next thing I know I wake up an hour later and the procedure was over. No side effect what-so-ever. Amazing medicine!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015

"I had a propofol infusion for a 40 minute operation today and had no problems whatsoever. Like many "reviewers" here, it was my first time undergoing general anesthesia and I was quite nervous as I did not know what to expect. However, if I knew beforehand what I know now, I would not have worried a single bit. Once the line was in and the infusion began, the doctor said I would start to feel sleepy soon and within 10 seconds I was asleep. There was no discomfort or unpleasant side effects. I woke up feeling happy and positive, just thirsty and slightly groggy, which passed quickly. Within 30 mins I was dressed and I left the hospital within an hour. I have felt relaxed all day. Marvellous medicine and experience, I will not worry next time!"

Brodie75 (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2014

"Colonoscopy. Went to sleep right away then woke up ready to go after a soda. Worked great!"

Matt Mc (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2014

"Had never been hospitalized before and had to have a stent placed for a kidney stone. Don't even remember the feeling of falling asleep. Was on the OR table getting monitoring electrodes placed and then instantly in the recovery room and felt fine. Transported to hospital room and was immediately able to drink a soda and eat a sandwich. No tired or sleepy feeling all. Will request same for upcoming lithotripsy procedure."

Kelli from Texas (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2014

"I had a colonoscopy, this was the second time. Both times Propofol worked well, I was out during the whole time, so felt no pain. One difference was this second time when I woke up, I started sneezing and my nose was running. After that my eyes started watering, and I have been having problems for days after with that with my nose running and eyes stinging. Allergy medicines have had no effect, the only thing that has helped somewhat is Nasacort. Prior to the procedure I was not having problems with allergies. I have found other anecdotal evidence on the internet of other people having these issues, it seems as if this is an unadvertised side effect."

cars67 October 18, 2014

"I have yearly EGD/FLEXSIG scopes and the only problem I have ever had with propafol is it makes my bowls run off for about 4 hours after waking, I don't have a colon (have a J-pouch ) and it causes skin breakdown due to my bowls being so acidic."

Lola49 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2014

"I'm 66 and had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I'd never had a general anesthetic before, and didn't know what to expect. On the operating table when he said he was beginning to administer the medicine I thought I should start feeling sleepy within a few seconds. Then the nurse said the procedure is over and asked how I felt. It was just that fast. No feeling of losing or regaining consciousness. Afterward I was completely clear-headed and in good spirits. I couldn't ask for any better experience for general anesthesia."

badakbuddy September 17, 2014

"This was my second Colonoscopy in 5 weeks, as the Doctor was unable to access my cecum. So I had my second one September 5, 14. I was given Propofol again, only this time I was also given Lidocaine with it. The Dr. started with propofol then added the lidocaine in my iv. Was out shortly after. I woke up feeling okay but my insides hurt and had extensive bruising on my left side, it looked like I had a bad reaction to lidocaine. It turns out it was really bad bruising from all the pushing down they did to complete the procedure...all benign polyps. Next test is in 3 years."

cookiebaker1 September 11, 2014

"I was having an endoscopy. I usually had versed and it was great. This particular time I was given propofol and had ventricular tachycardia. When I woke up the MDs eyes were huge and he informed me about what took place. Never again. I will write it across my forehead next time!"

Cattail September 10, 2014

"I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was out like a lamp. But I did experience some pain and woke up briefly during the procedure. I was quickly popped back to sleep. I remember the doctor apologizing and saying he would give me some more. Overall not my worst experience in life. I woke up shouting too !! Was it a girl or boy?"

mandymoo68 September 2, 2014

"I was given Propafol today for my first colonoscopy ever (I am 65). I experienced tingling that rose up my arm and a distinct metallic taste in the mouth immediately after injection. I had just enough time to comment verbally on the sensation, then the next thing I knew I was waking up. I do not remember anything about the procedure and experienced no pain afterwards. The medical staff did comment that I coughed during my procedure. I felt a little groggy for 5-10 minutes after awaking, but was steady on my feet shortly after. The only side effects I've experienced are transient coughing and a headache a couple of hours after the procedure. The latter may have been due to low blood sugar from the colonoscopy prep."

Schnauzermom August 29, 2014

"I'm 59 years old. What a great experience. I had an umbilical hernia repaired and surgery lasted about 1 hour. I tried to catch myself going under but it was like turning off a light switch, that fast. The only problem I had was I went #2 on the recovery gurney. The nurse said that was not unusual but It was still embarrassing. Absolutely no other side effects. I had Propofol two other times and never had a loss of bowel control. Anesthesia has come a long way and I wouldn't hesitate to ask for this in the future."

Jim M. August 26, 2014

"Had propofol for colonoscopy. I have had many colonoscopies as I have Crohn's and was always in significant pain on sedatives. This time I was out like a light and woke up feeling very peaceful. No longer will I dread colonoscopies."

Nnbbll August 13, 2014

"Muscle aches from neck to ankles."

VW&VH (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2014