User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Review Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 208 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"I had propofol for my second attempt at my first colonoscopy. During the first attempt they used Versed and Fentanyl and I was in so much pain the procedure had to be stopped half way through. During my second attempt, at first colonscopy yesterday, propofal was used. It was like night and day. As they wheeled me into the room I made a comment to the nurse about the lighting and that is the last thing I remember until about an hour later I woke in recovery, fully alert and ready to go. I felt fine was rested most of the day. What an amazing drug. The problem with conscious sedation is, they don't know who it will work on. And who wants to do that prep twice? With the propofol it is a step deeper than the conscious sedations, and works great"

languagenut September 3, 2015

"I was just administered propofol for the second time in a few months. Although the procedures were different, the reaction was the same. Immediately after waking, my nose began running profusely. The pain in my nose was severe; I couldn't breathe through it, hence I couldn't sleep. The day after the procedure I developed a fever that got so high I had to go to the ER. The fever lasted more than 48 hours."

SailingLady August 31, 2015

"Was given propofol for colonoscopy. As soon as the nurse gave it to me, my arm started burning like it was being dipped in acid. Unbelievably painful. I sat up and reached to pull the IV out of my arm and then the drug took effect and I lost consciousness. It is was a barbaric, excruciating experience that thankfully was over quickly. Should have at least warned me that it would hurt."

Joel66 August 26, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy a few days ago. Was extremely nervous. Went to sleep so quickly. Woke up 1.5 hours later in recovery to be told my BP dropped significantly low and be sure to tell that if I ever had to have surgery/procedure again. I was a complete chatterbox for the first 30 minutes after waking but felt wonderful. I did question why a 15 minute procedure kept me "out" for 1.5 hours and would not have known that my BP dropped if they didn't tell me. I can't say don't use this but I won't endorse it either."

charlib10 August 19, 2015

"Propofol was used in my 1st colonoscopy yesterday. Had a slight headache and the anaesthesiologist said he had something to fix it. I joked, "I bet you do," as he injected Propofol into the far end of the IV. A minute later I felt a warming sensation where the IV entered my arm and in an instant was completely out until I woke up an hour later in the recovery room. I had been dreading the colonoscopy because who wants to experience a 5-foot tube being shoved up their rear? But, I was out before the gastroenterologist even entered the room and remember nothing of the colonoscopy. With several prior surgeries, I hated the very long return to consciousness and control of my breathing. With this, I was fully alert within 5 minutes of waking."

Jawboned August 18, 2015

"Had a EGD and Propofol was used. I woke up quickly after procedure and was able to walk to my car. I experienced coughing for a few minutes after awaking along with uncontrollable watery stools which lasted for 24 hours. My blood pressure, heart palpitations and blood sugar dropped to normal reading and I haven't taken my normal medications for 2 days. Also my body pain I normally have from Fibromyalgia has alleviated. I can see why people might become addicted to this medication. It worked like an overall healing drug for me. I feel great"

Sthom (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2015

"Given propanol intravenously during a colonoscopy and had a hard time recovering. They said I started drooling and they used suction and also that my throat went into spasm. I woke with a very sore throat and headache. Once home I couldn't swallow easily, had a headache and was very groggy. My whole body ached and I took two Tylenol which did not help. I found I was running a fever. This was about 5 hours after getting home. Started drinking lots of water and was applying wet cloths to my forehead. I was crying and couldn't sleep. This lasted 18 hours! Doc said never take Propofol again."

Sue K. August 12, 2015

"Drug worked great, but I always lose lots of hair after use by anaesthesia. Happened several times some hair comes back not all."

KateDeTo July 29, 2015

"Went in for my colonoscopy on Monday. Was given propofol but I feel it took too long to totally put me out and I was horrified. It felt like an out of body experience. I remember it starting to take effect and I felt really sick, however, I could not move but remember telling them that I didn't like how I felt, Trust me, typing these words will never describe exactly what I went through. No thanks, this could be a deal breaker for me when I am due to return for my next colonoscopy in 5 years, I just might decline and take my chances. I thought I would be given the propofol and fall right to sleep, not the case. Just glad I woke up."

Anonymous July 22, 2015

Diprivan (propofol): "we used regularly in ICU, very few side effects, patients fell asleep quickly & returned to alertness quickly. Dosage needs varied between patients. We also used for what is called 'conscious sedation' for out patient procedures. Again dosage needs do vary between people and it is not just height and weight. It takes an experienced practitioner to use in conscious sedation. I worked in the ICU for 7 years. I had for upper endoscopy w/o side effects during or after procedure."

c.BJ July 9, 2015

""I had a colonoscopy today and propofol was used as the anesthesia. The doctor said he was injecting it into my IV, and I felt a little burning sensation in my arm, and then I was awake and in the recovery room. I had a little bit of drowsiness, no nausea - I got dressed, and went home, where I felt sleepy for the rest of the day!""

Wife&Mother June 22, 2015

"I had my 1st colonoscopy yesterday on Propofal. I was incredibly nervous (I'm terrified of needles as my veins blow & roll making all needle experiences very difficult). I have multiple sclerosis which causes all sorts of fun mysterious issues. Well... when they started the Propofal (after digging for my vein that rolled) they might as well have been pumping acid through my vein. It was so insanely painful. Within 60 seconds they shot me a dose of Lidocaine and the pain eased. I was able to roll on my side and drift off to sleep. I highly recommend anyone with vein sensitivity to START with Lidocaine!! Other than that, the drug was ok. Easy wake up. Quick recovery. But today (day after) I'm still disoriented and pretty emotional."

aseay June 16, 2015

"I would give this more than a ten if I could! I am the most anxious patient ever. Was crying, kicking and screaming before my endoscopy because I was so so scared. I was dreading it forever and I made such a huge scene. BUT AS SOON as they gave me versed with propofal shortly after, ALL I remember is waking up! I woke up slightly drowsy, slightly dizzy which lasted very shortly, but 99.9% mentally alert and aware of what was going on. They let me take a quick 30 minute nap and then I was able to walk out of the hospital to the parking deck (with a bit of assistance). Honestly I have NO idea why I was so anxious. What an easy experience. No pain, no itchiness, no sneezing, nothing. Just a good 15 minute sleep."

Anonymous May 28, 2015

"This drug administered for colonoscopy. Drifted to sleep in seconds and woke very easily. I felt relaxed the rest of the day but not out of it. I did experience mild itching but nothing more serious."

Tutso May 22, 2015

"I had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy on May 18 and Propofol was used. Like many other comments on here, you are out in seconds. No pain or discomfort. You wake up feeling s little groggy, but that's all. No need to be frightened of any procedure if you are being put under with this drug."

AdRoKo May 19, 2015

"I was scared to death of being put to sleep, as I never been put under before, the anesthesiologist explained he was going to administer the drug now, he knew I was nervous so he said take a deep breath, count backwards from 20 to myself or out loud to give everyone something to laugh about, that made me chuckle, I counted 20,19,18 and that's the last thing I remember! It literally felt like seconds and I was opening my eyes in recovery, feeling very relaxed, I was amazed. I am no longer afraid, and I think this is a very wonderful drug, it works extremely fast, and leaves no unpleasant side effects."

Jen43322 May 10, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy a few days ago and propofol was used as the anesthesia. The doctor said he was injecting it into my IV, and I felt a little burning sensation in my hand, and then I was awake and in the recovery room. No drowsiness, no nausea - I drank some juice, got dressed, and went home, where I felt absolutely fine the rest of the day!"

Propofol was wonderful ! April 30, 2015

"Have had some horrible experiences with anesthesia but my last 3 experiences with propofol was excellent. Woke up clear headed, no nausea. It's been used for my last 2 colonoscopies and a gall bladder surgery. Has really alleviated my anxiety over procedures, surgery."

Cherie P (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"The doctor used propofol for a colonoscopy. I was out very quickly and recovered without any recollect of the procedure or a "hangover'. I would certainly recommend this for this type of procedure. Overall the procedure was very uneventful and pleasant."

MikeAdr March 19, 2015

"I had my first general anesthetic yesterday, propofol, for a circumcision. I'm over 40 and procedure recently became necessary.I was nervous as never had general and also have asthma,various allergies and had a slight chest infection.Have to say it was really effective. Ihad needle put in, slight warm sensation,t asted it in my mouth, passing moment of dizzy,what's happenin feeling and next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. Woke up feeling fine, just like a nights sleep. Anyone going in for this has nothin to worry about"

tpmps (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2015

"I had propofol for a colonoscopy and EGD. I was told afterwards that I was hard to sedate and was given additional dosage. I had no recollection of getting dressed after the procedure and felt I was "not right" for over 24hrs afterward. I had 2 previous procedures using different medication with no problems."

Anonymous February 28, 2015

"I am 28 years old, was given propofol for a colonoscopy. I was extremely nervous before the procedure because I had a horrible experience with sedation, apparently I cannot be sedated, I was wide awake. So I was scared this would be the same, I was wrong. I remember the medicine being put in my IV, my arm started burning a little, and the next thing I knew I was waking up and the nurse saying you're all done! Immediately I was awake, no grogginess or side effects. I had a snack and soda and was ready to leave. I felt fine the rest of the day. I am having an EGD for GERD symptoms today, getting propofol again so not too worried."

cocoa86 February 26, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy yesterday and went out quickly, didn't remember anything. Thought it was great! Actually told the Dr. he could give me more of that stuff. But later in the day, at home after a nap, I became very aggressive to the point of violence and I am a gentle person by nature. I slapped and hit my 30 yr old daughter, argued with her and her father, and when he came toward me I thought he was going to hit me and swung my leg out to kick him in the stomach. I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction like this before. Totally out of character for me!"

wondergirl55 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2015

"I had this medicine twice. I had it for a colonoscopy and then an esophagogastrodudenoscopy. Both times, it was a great experience. I went to sleep and woke up with no hangover, not drowsy, perfectly fine. I'd do it again with no hesitation. "

Muffy III January 16, 2015

"The oral surgeon sedated me (via I-V) with propofol for an hour to extract 4 wisdom teeth. It was wonderful. I dosed off immediately and the next thing I know I wake up an hour later and the procedure was over. No side effect what-so-ever. Amazing medicine!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2015