User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"Had another colonscopy done and highly recommend propofal. I met with Anaesthetist the day before and did my own research. Had a couple of questions, most likely because of Michael Jackson. A little burning when drug is administered and I was able to taste it as some patients are. No side effects except for sleeping most of the day."

Ms. Ruby RED (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"Was given this drug for colonoscopy today. Started vomiting and choking while the GI Doctor was excising a very large polyp. He only got 80 percent of it because I was choking and now I have to go through the procedure all over again!"

champs mom January 22, 2016

"I am a 32 year old male, and have been experiencing some pretty scary health issues. About 8 months ago my hair started falling out in random patches, and I have lost pounds in the same time. I was schedules for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Yesterday I checked in for that. I am a super nervous person. Have been diagnosed with severe panic disorder caused by anxiety. I have always feared general anesthesia as I have some sleep apnea issues. Could not believe how quickly I went out and then was in the recover area with a juice box! No more worries about this drug again. Also had a runny nose and slight eye irritation. It surprises me that none of you would know that its from the oxygen in your nose though? Obviously."

thislifeishard January 21, 2016

"I was given propofol while my orthopedic surgeon repaired my broken arm (ORIF). I was also given a nerve block to numb my arm from shoulder to finger tips. I didn't feel a thing and I don't remember a thing, it worked perfectly! No anesthesia hangover or queasiness that you sometimes get from general anesthesia. Highly recommend!"

Chameleons January 19, 2016

"I woke up feeling pretty good, like after you've had a good night's rest and feel slightly euphorically sleepy. I asked if I was going to see the doctor and the nurse said the doctor already came. I had no memory of time I was awake. Then had energy the rest of the day, was talkative, went to the movies, felt great but slightly racy, like just a little too much coffee. It was the next day, when it took me forever to even remember what I had for breakfast. I actually had to strain to remember. Then I realized I couldn't read anything. It was like my brain was "slipping" all day long. It's been 48 hours now and I feel like I'm almost back to normal but am going to take it easy for a few days, not do a lot of driving and running around."

justaname January 18, 2016

"I had an epidural using propofol as the anesthesia. Three days after the procedure, I felt light headed and collapsed causing much damage to my left knee, head, face, and back. The Doc said it was impossible that the drug stayed in my system that long. I know when something goes wrong after surgery, and something did."

capt. jim (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"It was like going to sleep when you were a little kid and you were very tired and your bed felt delicious."

ThereIsNoNameThatIsn'tTaken (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"Went right out and woke right up. Very restful and do not remember a thing. Had it for a colonoscopy. No after effects."

Lin5555 January 11, 2016

"Had a colonoscopy on 11/07/15. On the side that the propofol was administered which was my left side I am having spasm on my left neck as well as headache on that side also earache. I thought it may be a ear infection but, I have never had an ear infection before. Going to the doctor Monday to see what is really going on it has been two months since I had the procedure done."

Mrs. Thomas (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

"I had outpatient surgery last week and received propofol to induce general anesthesia. By the time the anesthetist removed the syringe from the IV tubing after injecting it, I already felt it taking effect and lost consciousness within a few seconds. Within the blink of an eye, I awoke in the recovery room with no ill effects. After reading some of the comments here, I worried that the propofol injection would be painful, but there was absolutely no pain - did not feel a thing."

Joel62 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2016

"Recently had outpatient surgery. This Drug will rapidly leave your system. This is fine if surgery completed. Although my surgery is considered minor, it is not pleasant to come to during a procedure. Never again."

Another Choice n December 19, 2015

"I would rate propofol 8/10 because I had a very intense burning that traveled up my arm for 20-30 seconds during administration. It seems this can be avoided by administering lidocaine first, which not all anesthesiologists do. Burning aside, I couldn't have had a better experience with sedation as I did not experience any side effects, was fairly functional the rest of the day (did sleep a fair bit), and did not remember any of the procedure."

26feetofchaos (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2015

"I was given propofol yesterday for upper endoscopy. I am a extremely anxious person and am terrified of medical procedures. This drug was amazing and I had no issues had a great experience. This drug wore off extremely quickly. No side effects. Don't let your anxiety get in the way of your life! It will wreck you!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"Agree with everyone about out like a light and feel great minutes after an upper endoscopy. Do want to share that I woke up the next morning with charley-horse-like pain in my upper thigh. Am continuing to have muscle pain in thighs and calves 36 hours later. Spoke to anesthesiologist and he said it shouldn't be related to the drug. He told me the name of the drug and drug sites on line do list it as a side effect. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't having blood clots or other life-threatening symptoms. Hopefully, it will go away soon. Just be aware this can happen and maybe take Aleve or some such for pain."

Gladys Over December 11, 2015

"I had an epidural injection in my low back yesterday no problems with the propofal however when I took my regular doses of pain medication that day I had a very deep sleep that is very unusual for me and it was actually alarming to my husband who had to shake me to get my response after over 15 hours time since the sedation."

Groggy Glenda December 10, 2015

"Had a preventative ( first one cause over 50) colonoscopy yesterday. It took a little longer than usual as they removed some polyps so they gave me a very large amount. I woke up during the last 5 or 10 minutes of the procedure. The day after (today) I had to leave work because I could still not focus or concentrate and I feel weak. Hope it goes away soon!!! I have to think at my job as a machinist and could not comprehend the match I have to do today."

celt2006 December 8, 2015

"Went in for a colonoscopy yesterday. I was pretty anxious but they reassured me that I would fall asleep within 20 seconds and wake up and ask when I'm having the procedure. They had me turn over on my side and told me they were administering the propofol, and there may be a burning sensation. I felt nothing, and I was probably out in less than 3 seconds. Woke up feeling perfectly fine, no soreness and no wooziness like I had just been knocked out."

abcfd December 6, 2015

"I had a colonoscopy 12/3/15. I am not sure what medicine they gave me. I was in a lot of pain so they gave me "a lot" of medicine according to the nurse so they could finish the colonoscopy. I was very groggy and when I went to stand up the back of my legs cramped up and I almost fell over. My legs were fine when I went in but a day later they still are weak and feel as if they are going to go into spasm. Has anyone else had this problem??"

DebbieMG (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2015

"I'm 53, I was given propofol for a preventive colonoscopy screening intravenously and within 10 seconds I was out. When I woke up fifteen minutes later I felt like I was waking up from a restful nap. Within 15 minutes I was up, dressed, and out the door. I felt great the rest of the day. I might add I'm in good health and physically fit."

SteveG1962 December 3, 2015

"Received propofol for knee surgery (meniscus debridement). Despite being generally anxious about medical procedures, this one wasn't intimidating. I'd read up on propofol and watched YouTube videos of induction. (DON'T watch the airway intubation videos if you're the slightest bit freaked about the procedure. You won't like what you see.) :: In the OR, the anesthesiologist said he'd begun administering the Propofol. The drip was attached to the back of my left hand. I felt a warm sensation, then a sort of burning sensation. Not bad, really. Something like when you got an "arm twist rope burn" as a kid. Just a few seconds after induction -- lights out, curtain down. Total unconsciousness and unawareness."

Dave-o November 30, 2015

"I was given Propofol immediately before my colonoscopy. I thought it would just make me less aware but to my amazement it put me to sleep in less than 15 seconds. I woke up 45 minutes later in the recovery room and remember nothing about the procedure. I did not experience any dizziness or any unwanted things while waking up. This drug saved the day."

Storch November 27, 2015

"I am a 63 year-old male in pretty good health. Propofol was great for my colonoscopy. It was given to me at 9:30 am. I was a bit dizzy and groggy when leaving the doctor's office at about 11 am. I slept most of the afternoon. My thinking remained fairly clouded all evening. The next day, at 11:40 am, my thinking is still a bit clouded. I had not expected to need to heed the warning not to drive or take on anything challenging for 24 hours, but, in my case, it is clear that it was an important warning; I am glad that I heeded it."

EricNJ November 25, 2015

"I'm on Methadone for Phantom pains I have from severe nerve damage I received from a gunshot wound and a hand amputated. Because of the methadone my resistance to other pain and anesthesia medicines that I require Propofol. I found this out the hard way, I had a liver Biopsy that required the Dr to insert a long steal probe into the main artery in the side of my neck, then down to the internal parts of the liver. Unfortunately I wasn't aware when they were going to begin the procedure because of a full face cover they had on me. The Dr came unglued when he heard me say, " Man that hurts....! so since then I demand Propofol with any procedure requiring anesthesia!"

mhammond1957 November 18, 2015

"I was given Propofol during my first routine colonoscopy after turing 50. Wow, what a drug. I went out like a light and next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and feeling like I was coming out of the best, most relaxing sleep of my life. I can see why Michael Jackson got hooked on it. What I really liked was the quick recovery time. About two hours after the procedure I felt fine, no drowsiness, nausea or anything."

NickName4549 November 17, 2015

"Given drug for colonoscopy. Burned going in, but I remember nothing else until I woke up in recovery.I felt awake and alert quickly. Slept 4 hours after coming home. 2 days since procedure and still feel like my brain is in a fog and generalized weakness."

Anonymous November 15, 2015