User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol review summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

Review by cookiebaker1:

This was my second Colonoscopy in 5 weeks, as the Doctor was unable to access my cecum. So I had my second one September 5, 14. I was given Propofol again, only this time I was also given Lidocaine with it. The Dr. started with propofol then added the lidocaine in my iv. Was out shortly after. I woke up feeling okay but my insides hurt and had extensive bruising on my left side, it looked like I had a bad reaction to lidocaine. It turns out it was really bad bruising from all the pushing down they did to complete the procedure...all benign polyps. Next test is in 3 years.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 2:09 PM

Review by Cattail:

I was having an endoscopy. I usually had versed and it was great. This particular time I was given propofol and had ventricular tachycardia. When I woke up the MDs eyes were huge and he informed me about what took place. Never again. I will write it across my forehead next time!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by mandymoo68:

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. I was out like a lamp. But I did experience some pain and woke up briefly during the procedure. I was quickly popped back to sleep. I remember the doctor apologizing and saying he would give me some more. Overall not my worst experience in life. I woke up shouting too !! Was it a girl or boy?

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 1:20 PM

Review by Schnauzermom:

I was given Propafol today for my first colonoscopy ever (I am 65). I experienced tingling that rose up my arm and a distinct metallic taste in the mouth immediately after injection. I had just enough time to comment verbally on the sensation, then the next thing I knew I was waking up. I do not remember anything about the procedure and experienced no pain afterwards. The medical staff did comment that I coughed during my procedure. I felt a little groggy for 5-10 minutes after awaking, but was steady on my feet shortly after. The only side effects I've experienced are transient coughing and a headache a couple of hours after the procedure. The latter may have been due to low blood sugar from the colonoscopy prep.

August 29, 2014 5:38 PM

Review by Jim M.:

I'm 59 years old. What a great experience. I had an umbilical hernia repaired and surgery lasted about 1 hour. I tried to catch myself going under but it was like turning off a light switch, that fast. The only problem I had was I went #2 on the recovery gurney. The nurse said that was not unusual but It was still embarrassing. Absolutely no other side effects. I had Propofol two other times and never had a loss of bowel control. Anesthesia has come a long way and I wouldn't hesitate to ask for this in the future.

August 26, 2014 6:42 PM

Review by Nnbbll:

Had propofol for colonoscopy. I have had many colonoscopies as I have Crohn's and was always in significant pain on sedatives. This time I was out like a light and woke up feeling very peaceful. No longer will I dread colonoscopies.

August 13, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by VW&VH (taken for less than 1 month):

Muscle aches from neck to ankles.

July 25, 2014 12:58 PM

Review by Bill L.:

I had a Colonoscopy which was the first one I had. I am 54 years old and elected to have this to be proactive. I have to say I am normally nervous when General Anesthesia is administered because the first time I had surgery (Neck Surgery) I had a violent reaction involving nausea and vomiting. I had never had Diprivan (propofol) as an anesthetic but I was told by the Doctor that this medicine has an anti-nausea effect. He was absolutely correct. It was an awesome experience. I am a person who gets sick from taking even mild pain pills and any kind of anesthesia. I have to say it was great. I had no side effects whatsoever. The recovery time was nothing. I felt great when I came out of it. It felt like taking a short nap.

July 21, 2014 1:30 PM

Review by Pancake78:

Diprivan (propofol): I had foot surgery in 09' . This was my very first surgery ever. I had never been put to sleep my entire life. I was given Diprivan (propofol) as the anesthetic. I would have to say that if I ever needed another surgery, I would request this anesthesia. It was wonderful. I remember absolutely nothing about the surgery at all and it felt like it took like 2 minutes. However, I remember the anesthetist saying one of the side effects was I was going to feel rushed or in a hurry when I woke up. I had the complete opposite effect. I was nice and comfy in my wheelchair, and wasn't planning on leaving any time soon apparently. I was in a very happy place. I would recommend this to anyone very apprehensive or nervous about any kind of surgery.

June 28, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Melsongs:

Diprivan (propofol): I had my first screening colonoscopy with propofol. I was out within a few seconds of administration of it. I woke up after 30 minutes with no side effects. I was up and around within an hour and I had normal meal after. I did feel usually "high" or happy afterward, I don't know if it was the propofol or the good results of the colonoscopy.

June 5, 2014 10:22 AM

Review by sunshineblossoms:

Just received a D&C today and had to be put to sleep with propofol and I must tell you it is amazing. I was so scared to be put under because this was my first surgery. I'm 21. The anesthesiologist talked to me the whole time. When the medication was injected into my IV it wasn't painful but it did go up my shoulder and I could actually taste it but after that all I remember was looking at the clock and them strapping me down on the surgery table and then I was in recovery. It's that simple. It's just like a regular nap. I woke up tired but no nausea, I wasn't groggy, no headache. I felt great. Would definitely do this medicine again. Hope this helps for those who are afraid like I was. Don't be. It's as easy as 123.

May 21, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Adrian.Rebrean:

I was given propofol IV prior to a colonoscopy procedure. I was out within seconds of administration of the medicine. The next thing I remember is half an hour later being told that all the procedure has finished. I had no nausea, or other side effects. I ordered a taxi and went straight to the office, where I worked for the rest of the day.

April 26, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Alisonw1979:

I have had a few "twillight" surgeries and this was my first time having Propofol. I can honestly say it is the BEST anesthetic I have ever had. It is literally like a light switch on/off. I was given a sedative before hand because I have bad anxiety and then was wheeled into surgery. I was given the Propofol and within 30 seconds was gone and the next time I knew I heard a nurse calling my name in recovery giving me water. I had no nausea and I felt a little buzzed the next day but I could function. I wasn't sleepy or groggy at all.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by shakerr (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and was really anxious about the sedation. I've had conscious sedation before and was ALWAYS aware of the procedure being performed. Not so with Propofol. I was out in about 5 seconds. Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. I felt pretty stoned for an hour or so afterwards, but it wasn't unpleasant!

April 8, 2014 4:11 PM

Review by Terrib24 (taken for less than 1 month):

I went in for a colonoscopy today and was put under with propofol. It took affect right away ...after maybe four deep breaths. I was groggy for Maybe 15 minutes after waking up in recovery. However, I have been suffering from major allergy like symptoms all afternoon and evening...sneezing, watery eyes, congestion, then nose running. Feel fairly miserable...not from procedure but from sneezing.

April 5, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by DC2 (taken for less than 1 month):

While propofol is great for knociking you out of uncomfortable procedures, I've used it twice and both times have had a runny nose (i.e., constant dripping) for a couple of days following its use. This last time when I told the anestesiologist he said that wasn't related. But I have the exact same problem as last time.

February 20, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by djrmk:

Having had numerous bad experiences with general anesthesia, I was quite concerned about another with a tooth extraction. I was given Zofran prior to my procedure and then propofol as the anesthesia. This is awesome stuff. I felt the medicine begin to work, within seconds of it being put into my vein. Before I knew it I was walking to the recovery room with the help of a nurse. All I heard was "she's drunk" and "drunk" I was, a pleasant, happy drunk, which lasted only minutes after the procedure. No burning upon administration, and no nausea or vomiting. This stuff rocks!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a horrible patient, and very anxious about medical procedures being done. I was concerned about the level of sedation I would be under, as I didn't know if it would be like my wisdom teeth removal where they said I would be sedated and not remember, but I was conscious and remembered every second of it. There were no problems during my endoscopy using propofol today. They prepped me and brought me back to the procedure room where the anesthesiologist gave me a light sedative to start. A few minutes later he administered the propofol. I remember asking him "is that the propofol" and him telling me "yes", and then I was out. All the way, lights out, asleep. No dreams. Woke up in recovery feeling tired which wore off quickly.

January 31, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by bobber down (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Diprivan (propofol): I have a psuedocholonesterase Def. (allergic to normal anesthesia). I had a laparoscopic procedure done while under Diprivan and had no side effects from this. Psuedocholonesterase Def. can be deadly so check this out as an option.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by Mack Baggins:

I went in today for an Upper GI endoscopy and it went fine. They put oxygen into my nose, hooked me up on monitors and told me to lay on my side. They said "We're going to start giving you the medication, take deep breathes" I looked at my hand with the IV and saw the white propofol going in then rested my head, next thing I know I woke up and was on my way to recovery. It was as if I blinked and then I was in the room. No dreams, No sleep feeling, almost as if I was just dead during those times. Very effective.

January 14, 2014 5:02 AM

Review by Duckeyboy:

Propofol was amazing. When I was in the operating room and the nurse injected Propofol in my arm and told me to go ahead and close my eyes, so I did and then I decided to open eyes and I was already in recovery room. I cannot recall being falling asleep.

January 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Eased me In really well - I was awake and calm and happy then next thing (felt like a few seconds) I was in the recovery room. Felt a bit weak for a while and not quite with it. But that wore off. Would recommend

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by drmx123 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my second colonoscopy at age 61, this time with Propofol (Diprivan) and it went much better than the first one ten years earlier with a different sedative (when I woke up in the middle of the procedure in considerable pain). It was injected into an IV in the back of my right hand and I was literally out like a light in about ten seconds. The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room and I couldn't believe it was over. The only side effects were a sore throat (I had on an oxygen mask so that may have been a contributing factor) and very low blood pressure for about thirty minutes afterwards.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a "double", that is a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy (EGD) done at the same appointment. They used propofol for the anesthesia, it worked wonderfully! Out like a lightbulb before the procedure, then I came to after the procedure and they wheeled me into recovery. No real groginess or anything like that, although I was a little "tipsy", and was like a jolly old drunk for a little while ..... my wife had to tell me to stop being so obnoxious!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 12:12 PM

Had a colonoscopy yesterday...went in feeling perfectly fine, woke up after procedure very congested and sneezing, with runny nose and watery eyes. Sneezing continued all day, went through an entire box of tissues. Took a dose of Benadryl before bed and woke up today perfectly fine. After reading others' similar experiences, I'm sure this must have been a side effect of the propofol.

December 11, 2013 8:49 PM