User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol review summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

Review by Pancake78:

Diprivan (propofol): I had foot surgery in 09' . This was my very first surgery ever. I had never been put to sleep my entire life. I was given Diprivan (propofol) as the anesthetic. I would have to say that if I ever needed another surgery, I would request this anesthesia. It was wonderful. I remember absolutely nothing about the surgery at all and it felt like it took like 2 minutes. However, I remember the anesthetist saying one of the side effects was I was going to feel rushed or in a hurry when I woke up. I had the complete opposite effect. I was nice and comfy in my wheelchair, and wasn't planning on leaving any time soon apparently. I was in a very happy place. I would recommend this to anyone very apprehensive or nervous about any kind of surgery.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 11:46 PM

Review by Melsongs:

Diprivan (propofol): I had my first screening colonoscopy with propofol. I was out within a few seconds of administration of it. I woke up after 30 minutes with no side effects. I was up and around within an hour and I had normal meal after. I did feel usually "high" or happy afterward, I don't know if it was the propofol or the good results of the colonoscopy.

June 5, 2014 10:22 AM

Review by sunshineblossoms:

Just received a D&C today and had to be put to sleep with propofol and I must tell you it is amazing. I was so scared to be put under because this was my first surgery. I'm 21. The anesthesiologist talked to me the whole time. When the medication was injected into my IV it wasn't painful but it did go up my shoulder and I could actually taste it but after that all I remember was looking at the clock and them strapping me down on the surgery table and then I was in recovery. It's that simple. It's just like a regular nap. I woke up tired but no nausea, I wasn't groggy, no headache. I felt great. Would definitely do this medicine again. Hope this helps for those who are afraid like I was. Don't be. It's as easy as 123.

May 21, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Adrian.Rebrean:

I was given propofol IV prior to a colonoscopy procedure. I was out within seconds of administration of the medicine. The next thing I remember is half an hour later being told that all the procedure has finished. I had no nausea, or other side effects. I ordered a taxi and went straight to the office, where I worked for the rest of the day.

April 26, 2014 6:00 PM

Review by Alisonw1979:

I have had a few "twillight" surgeries and this was my first time having Propofol. I can honestly say it is the BEST anesthetic I have ever had. It is literally like a light switch on/off. I was given a sedative before hand because I have bad anxiety and then was wheeled into surgery. I was given the Propofol and within 30 seconds was gone and the next time I knew I heard a nurse calling my name in recovery giving me water. I had no nausea and I felt a little buzzed the next day but I could function. I wasn't sleepy or groggy at all.

April 13, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by shakerr (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my first colonoscopy yesterday and was really anxious about the sedation. I've had conscious sedation before and was ALWAYS aware of the procedure being performed. Not so with Propofol. I was out in about 5 seconds. Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. I felt pretty stoned for an hour or so afterwards, but it wasn't unpleasant!

April 8, 2014 4:11 PM

Review by Terrib24 (taken for less than 1 month):

I went in for a colonoscopy today and was put under with propofol. It took affect right away ...after maybe four deep breaths. I was groggy for Maybe 15 minutes after waking up in recovery. However, I have been suffering from major allergy like symptoms all afternoon and evening...sneezing, watery eyes, congestion, then nose running. Feel fairly miserable...not from procedure but from sneezing.

April 5, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by DC2 (taken for less than 1 month):

While propofol is great for knociking you out of uncomfortable procedures, I've used it twice and both times have had a runny nose (i.e., constant dripping) for a couple of days following its use. This last time when I told the anestesiologist he said that wasn't related. But I have the exact same problem as last time.

February 20, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by djrmk:

Having had numerous bad experiences with general anesthesia, I was quite concerned about another with a tooth extraction. I was given Zofran prior to my procedure and then propofol as the anesthesia. This is awesome stuff. I felt the medicine begin to work, within seconds of it being put into my vein. Before I knew it I was walking to the recovery room with the help of a nurse. All I heard was "she's drunk" and "drunk" I was, a pleasant, happy drunk, which lasted only minutes after the procedure. No burning upon administration, and no nausea or vomiting. This stuff rocks!

February 11, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm a horrible patient, and very anxious about medical procedures being done. I was concerned about the level of sedation I would be under, as I didn't know if it would be like my wisdom teeth removal where they said I would be sedated and not remember, but I was conscious and remembered every second of it. There were no problems during my endoscopy using propofol today. They prepped me and brought me back to the procedure room where the anesthesiologist gave me a light sedative to start. A few minutes later he administered the propofol. I remember asking him "is that the propofol" and him telling me "yes", and then I was out. All the way, lights out, asleep. No dreams. Woke up in recovery feeling tired which wore off quickly.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 31, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by bobber down (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Diprivan (propofol): I have a psuedocholonesterase Def. (allergic to normal anesthesia). I had a laparoscopic procedure done while under Diprivan and had no side effects from this. Psuedocholonesterase Def. can be deadly so check this out as an option.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2014 5:59 PM

Review by Mack Baggins:

I went in today for an Upper GI endoscopy and it went fine. They put oxygen into my nose, hooked me up on monitors and told me to lay on my side. They said "We're going to start giving you the medication, take deep breathes" I looked at my hand with the IV and saw the white propofol going in then rested my head, next thing I know I woke up and was on my way to recovery. It was as if I blinked and then I was in the room. No dreams, No sleep feeling, almost as if I was just dead during those times. Very effective.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 5:02 AM

Review by Duckeyboy:

Propofol was amazing. When I was in the operating room and the nurse injected Propofol in my arm and told me to go ahead and close my eyes, so I did and then I decided to open eyes and I was already in recovery room. I cannot recall being falling asleep.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Eased me In really well - I was awake and calm and happy then next thing (felt like a few seconds) I was in the recovery room. Felt a bit weak for a while and not quite with it. But that wore off. Would recommend

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by drmx123 (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my second colonoscopy at age 61, this time with Propofol (Diprivan) and it went much better than the first one ten years earlier with a different sedative (when I woke up in the middle of the procedure in considerable pain). It was injected into an IV in the back of my right hand and I was literally out like a light in about ten seconds. The next thing I knew I was in the recovery room and I couldn't believe it was over. The only side effects were a sore throat (I had on an oxygen mask so that may have been a contributing factor) and very low blood pressure for about thirty minutes afterwards.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a "double", that is a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy (EGD) done at the same appointment. They used propofol for the anesthesia, it worked wonderfully! Out like a lightbulb before the procedure, then I came to after the procedure and they wheeled me into recovery. No real groginess or anything like that, although I was a little "tipsy", and was like a jolly old drunk for a little while ..... my wife had to tell me to stop being so obnoxious!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 30, 2013 12:12 PM

Had a colonoscopy yesterday...went in feeling perfectly fine, woke up after procedure very congested and sneezing, with runny nose and watery eyes. Sneezing continued all day, went through an entire box of tissues. Took a dose of Benadryl before bed and woke up today perfectly fine. After reading others' similar experiences, I'm sure this must have been a side effect of the propofol.

December 11, 2013 8:49 PM

Review by benseesdf (taken for less than 1 month):

I had my first colonoscopy today. I used OSMO PREP and was concerned about taking so many pills. After the first phase, I was a little nauseated, but my doctor had given me Zofran which helped tremendously. I was given Propofol during the procedure, and did not feel a thing, or remember a thing. I had no side effects from the medicine whatsoever. This was the way to go for me.

December 2, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by Eliz propofol:

I had a colonoscopy today and was feeling fine before and on drive home - my nose started running and I was sneezing. I was given propofol. I was a little groggy right after waking up, but felt fine by the time I got home. It has been about 6 hrs and I am still experiencing flu like symptoms - runny nose & sneezing - mostly on one side. 5 yrs ago I had a colonoscopy and did not experience any of these symptoms. I am glad to see others have experienced the same symptoms ...

November 6, 2013 6:51 PM

Review by Horrific burning on site of injection. (taken for less than 1 month):

I had an endoscopic procedure yesterday and they used Propofol instead of Versed . I am 61 years old and was told of a slight sting . I had about 60 seconds (long seconds) of a feeling like my hand was set on fire. I will never let anyone use this drug on me again. I'm 61 and healthy and can't imagine if I was a frail little old lady or man given this drug . The pain was horrific.

October 30, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by Aaanonym:

Yesterday I had a conisation using profopol to make me sleep. It was the first time I did general anesthesia and I was literally freaking out to get it first time because of the side effects etc. plus, I have asthma, few allergies. Everything went super well, I felt asleep immediately, just felt one second of burning in my veins and slept. Woke up with no nausea, no headache, nothing.

October 26, 2013 4:00 AM

Just had propofol today for colonoscopy. Everything went great with the sedation, but now 10 hours later, my nose is running continuously and my right eye is tearing. I tried Benadryl but that did not help..surprised to see how many people are having the same reaction.

October 11, 2013 7:32 PM

Review by Nadia25:

I was administered Propofol for a colonoscopy for the first time. I did work like magic - fast out, fast in. But as I got home, I began sneezing, had itchy eyes and tears, itchy and running nose like I had a severe cause of allergy, which I never had before. The nurse called me the next day and asked how I was doing. When I described my symptoms, she said it is in no way related to what was done to me during colonoscopy. I was unconvinced and Googled propofol's side effects. I am glad that quite a few people had the same side effect of Propofol. I wish doctors and nurses know about this and warn their patients, and recommend a remedy. This side effect is not a big deal, but I wish I knew about it and was prepared. I hope it subsides soon.

September 10, 2013 7:53 PM

Review by SAGWIS:

I likewise experienced continuous sneezing immediately after a colonoscopy, which continued for several hours. My right nostril was itching and nose "running" for several hours. Glad to read similar side effects from propofol.

September 1, 2013 7:01 PM

I had ambulatory surgery. After this anesthetic, experienced jitteriness and heart palpitations while at home recovering that day. Still felt wonky the next day.

August 2, 2013 10:01 PM