User Reviews for Prochlorperazine

Also known as: Compazine, Compazine Spansule, Compro, Procot

Learn more about Prochlorperazine.

Nausea/Vomiting 40 reviews 154 medications

6.4
Anxiety 3 reviews 63 medications

6.3
Hiccups 1 reviews 8 medications

Summary of Prochlorperazine reviews 44 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Prochlorperazine

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given Compazine during in-patient chemo treatment in 1999 (as a cheaper anti-nausea med., as I was on Medicaid). The Drs. said it 'may' cause agitation/work poorly for younger people (I was 25 at the time). The agitation & horrible feelings were immediate. It got so bad I ended up just twitching, crying & moaning into my pillow. My skin was crawling, I was flooded with anxiety/panic. I COULD NOT lay/sit still. Next chemo treatment was the same, so I never asked for/took it again. I'd rather have gone without anti-nausea meds than go thru that again. I later found one of the night Drs. who was sympathetic & I got samples of the good (modern) anti-nausea meds. No akathisia at all."

Jen1515 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I've been suffering from IBS for years and compazine is the only medicine that gets rid of nausea. I've never had any side effects, which is fabulous. I am tired all the time but it beats nausea!"

Fantastic Mrs J January 10, 2016

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Extreme agitation and anxiety... Never again... Very restless"

Cj1977 December 27, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Beware, this medicine causes agitation in a lot of people. The feeling is indescribable, though some have told me it like withdrawals. Awful stuff. Felt like my skin was crawling. Just awful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "It's not often I get norovirus, but when my stomach is empty and the heaving persists, this helps me. It does make me tired. So I sleep it off. By the time I wake up the heaving has ceased. Maybe I've experienced some dizziness. But with a virus, I wasn't intending to clean my house or run a marathon! I'll just take heaving cessation!"

Bettyann Staten Island RN November 24, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Had nausea from chemo and radiation and was given Zofran. Zofran did nothing to curb the nausea. I was just recently changed over to Compazine and the nausea is gone! I've not experienced any side effects whatsoever."

RenaeDeac October 30, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed compazine in 1989 for severe morning sickness during the forth month of my second pregnancy. By the third day, I was rushed to the hospital because my chin locked over my left shoulder, my tongue hung out of my mouth impeding my speech, the muscles in my eyes froze, keeping me from blinking. My five year old got home from school and found me drooling on my self, grunting b/c I could not speak. Good thing I'd taught her how to call 911. Shortly, an ambulance drove up and rushed me to the emergency room. They thought I'd had a stroke. Luckily, I had the vile of compazine in my purse. Needless to say, my son was born with neurological issues which have lasted a lifetime."

Klein's October 19, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I went into the ER last week on Wednesday with a horrible migraine. Received Compazine, Zofran and Benadryl IV all at once then sent home. Immediately, I felt like I was going to lose my mind. Thank God for the Benadryl, I was able to sleep for a bit, but every time I woke up I still felt despair, jittery, disoriented and overall 'weird.' Tomorrow will be a week, and I'm glad I have an appointment with my primary to tell him about my reaction. Praying he has a solution to get this feeling to pass and SOON. I am a nurse, have 2 children and am a single mother. Cannot afford to feel this way for long. I will never take that med again."

ipraythispasses (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "This medicine was awful. I took it for severe nausea and vomiting and it made me anxious, nervous, and on edge. I have never felt that way before and will never again take this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Took this for severe nausea after starting an SSRI - got rid of most of the nausea but made me incredibly dizzy and had low blood pressure and tingling limbs. Very uncomfortable!"

Izzy3376 (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was suffering from unexplained nausea for about a year. I tried a host of other anti-nausea medications but nothing really seemed to be helping. My doctor gave my compazine, which helped my nausea but made me exhausted by the evening and caused me to burst into tears at least once a day. I stopped taking the medication because the side effects were too much for me to handle."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I had woke up around 5 this morning sick to my stomach. Not horrible, but I could feel the nausea coming on. I may need to explain I deal with gastroparesis. Most days I'm fine, but the days I'm not, it's really bad. I tried zofran and promethazine with no relief whatsoever. Finally was admitted to the ER. Found out I was dehydrated and of course the gastroparesis had shown its ugly head. Nothing, I repeat nothing was working for nausea. They finally decided to give me compazine in IV form. Within just a few minutes I could tell results. Great drug and for myself minimal to no side effects."

Nausea and vomiting A July 31, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this for migraines. I was stationed in Hampton Roads, VA doing my time in the Navy. I had a TBI in Bahrain, and was sent to Virginia for various medical treatments. I had blackouts and severe migraines that made me see spots at least 3-5 times a week. It was pure hell so I thought. I would try to tolerate it the best I could, and I began frequenting the hospital where I received this drug. It took some time to figure out which drug I was having the horrendous side effects. Portsmouth Naval issued me a "cocktail" as they called it with this drug included. Over a few experiences with various doctors I figured out this drug was the culprit. This drug made me feel like something terrible was crawling under my skin. 6 hours of hell."

Ashley A. (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been on Compazine for over 2 years and it has been an absolute overall relief of nausea, anxiety and nerves/nervous tension. Finding a doctor who will prescribe it without a struggle and or reservation is a whole other issue. I've been told it carries too many side effects and isn't considered safe or for long term. I've been told to switch to Zofran. The upside is Zofran seems to have a fairly good rating. I never suffered side effects from the Compazine."

blaze22 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Very bad side effects. Given by IV in the emergency room for severe migraine. Jaw clenching, agitation, loss of appetite, groggy, incessent urination (with a fowl smell). Side effects lasted for a week after administration."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "Quickly calmed me down and got rid of nausea caused by anxiety but the sleepiness it caused me to experience made me very stressed out about being unable to do what I needed to get done."

Laura Maton (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was in the hospital suffering from post lumbar puncture headache and nausea/severe vomiting. IV Zofran did nothing, IV Reglan did nothing, only the IV Compazine gave me relief. Granted as soon as it ran out I started up again, but at least it allowed me a few hours of peace to sleep."

Asscher (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2014

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Hiccups: "I actually had this right in front of me while I was smoking a cigarette and my hiccups went away. "

threalmanlyman December 20, 2014

For Nausea/Vomiting: "We currently have a case of Norovirus in the house. My daughter succumbed the other day with a 101 fever, violent vomiting, etc.,. I feared I was next having shared food with her before her symptoms went "viral." I came down with a low-grade fever and intense acid burn. Thankfully, I remembered that I had this med left over from a recent surgery. The acid burn is down and my 100 degree temp stabilized to 99.5. So far, it is working for me as I've been proactive before the nausea sensation strikes. Sadly, I'm down to two pills so will see if I can, at least, bypass the vomiting phase of this horrific virus."

BMommy123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2014

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Helped with nausea and vomiting I'm 7 weeks pregnant but made me very anxious almost to the point of not being able to function!!"

Anonymous October 10, 2014

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Read the side effects carefully. I had a severe distonic reaction and had to spend the day in the emergency room after just 1 pill. I have been advised by my doctor to never even take anything in this family of medicines."

Nauseated Wade August 18, 2014

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Been taking for years for nausea from Irritable Bowel Syndrome etc. Works great and quickly! Get restless legs next day but that ends quickly. Heard that if taking it regularly long term you should have liver and kidneys monitored as it can do damage to them!"

MarkyMark3 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 12, 2014

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: "This medication gave me the worst experience of my life. It made me sleepy, yes. But at the same time, It sped up my mental discomfort, and it made my muscles jump. Similar to restless leg syndrome, but throughout my entire body. It was so bad they had to reverse it with Benadryl to alleviate the symptoms, And finally they gave me a mixture of Valium and Demerol to put me in a twilight state until it passed. If you have ANY medication allergies, even mild. I would strongly advise against this medication. "

P.A. in Los Angeles. (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2014

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been dealing with chronic nausea/vomiting for almost a year. I have had every test in the book and they all come back negative. I've tried medications for irritable bowel syndrome and I've tried Phenegran and Zofran. None of which worked. I also used the transdermal Scoplamine patch, which helped a little. Finally, my doctor prescribed Compazine suppository and I have had great relief of my nausea/vomiting. I hope to be able to stay on this for a long time. It is a wonder medicine."

Meeeeeeee March 30, 2014

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I suffer from occasional vomiting from acid indigestion brought on by major anxiety. I take Protonix daily for indigestion & also Buspar for anxiety which has helped drastically. However sometimes the anxiety is so extreme I will still get nausea & vomiting. That's when I go to my trusted friend Compazine. It lasts well past 8 hours & gives me time to relax & calm my anxiety (which is near to impossible to do while you are throwing up stomach acid every few minutes%u2026). I have also been prescribed Zofran which also works very well, but is a lot more expensive. I have not experienced any side effects with either medicine. Compazine has saved me more than a few times when I have an appointment I can't afford to miss & that I am anxious over."

Kitakitkaiti (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2014