User Reviews for Pravastatin

Also known as: Pravachol

Learn more about Pravastatin.

Pravastatin Review Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 252 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Pravastatin to treat High Cholesterol

"After four weeks, taking the Pravastatin as prescribed by the Doctor, I was unable to move. My wrist was too sore to move, my right shoulder was too sore to use and I could not put any weight on my knees. Five months after discontinuance of the Pravastatin, pain in those four areas has diminished to the point that am nearly 85% functional. Had I known about the side affects of Pravastatin, I would have never taken them!"

h2osunsand June 2, 2015

"The good thing is my cholesterol is under control after three months. The bad thing is my right fore arm hurts when I pick up anything. I also have a rash on my upper lip but not sure it has anything to do with the pravastatin. I am taking one thing away at a time to figure it out."

susan trumble (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I was on simvistatin and got leg pain. I got switched to pravistatin and am now experiencing shoulder pain and weakness. I plan to see what else I can take."

gubby donna June 25, 2014

"I am experiencing severe gas and loose bowels. Everytime I eat something it seems to run right through me. Also increased urination. Stomach cramps so this is a battle lower my cholesterol or be on the toilet everytime I eat!"

Graham1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2013

"Was on pravastatin for two weeks woke up with swelling in the face. Doctor said it was a side affect to stop taking."

Lucy 01 October 27, 2013

"Elevated my blood sugar level."

helsy August 5, 2013

"It works just fine with no side effects."

bogyone January 15, 2012

"I took this medicine for about 3 years. About 6 months ago, my dosage was increased from 20 mg to 40 mg. At first there were no problems. After a couple of months, I started having shortness of breath, chest pain, tremors, fatigue and vomiting. I went to the ER with chest pains and shortness of breath. They could find nothing wrong with my heart. I was sent to a cardiologist to have Holter monitoring, echocardiagram and stress test. Nothing. Had a pulmonary function test. Nothing. The pravastatin brought my cholesterol down to 177, so my doctor took me off of it to see if it made any difference with all my health problems. It did. Within 3 days I was starting to feel better. Within a week I was back to my old self again."

Anonymous November 29, 2011

227 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I immediately experienced muscle pain and chest tightness (the heart is a muscle). I also ended up in the ER after feeling faint with left foot numbness. The medication did, however, significantly lower my cholesterol. I have since discontinued the medicine on my own."

Anonymous November 8, 2011

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Was unable to take Lipitor because of aches and pains it produced but I can take pravastatin okay."

Anonymous September 23, 2011

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pravachol (pravastatin): "Within 2 weeks of being on 40mg of Pravachol, I began noticing muscle weakness in my shoulders, wrist and knees. I later discovered that these are possible side effects of this medication. I noticed remarkable improvements after stopping the medication."

Anonymous July 10, 2011

226 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pravachol (pravastatin): "Medicine was fine at 20mg dose. When my Doctor increased dose to 40mg, I started having increased muscle stiffness, especially in the morning."

Anonymous December 1, 2010

196 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pravachol (pravastatin): "It has done the job in lowering my cholesterol within 3 months."

Anonymous October 13, 2010

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pravachol (pravastatin): "It lowered my cholesterol without any side effects."

Anonymous June 7, 2010

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about High Cholesterol