User Reviews for Mirapex

Learn more about Mirapex.

Mirapex review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome.

Reviews for Mirapex to treat Restless Legs Syndrome

Review by Rip Van Winkle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome about 4 yrs ago and was prescribed Mirapex. My symptoms were so bad I wouldn't sleep for days and was non functioning due to being sleep deprived. The doctor put me on 0.25mg every evening but my RLS was creeping into daylight hours, so I was prescribed 0.25mg twice a day. That did the trick and it has saved my sanity. I no longer have any symptoms of RLS --and as a side note - I have no side effects either from the medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 11:28 PM

Review by Ms. P'grass:

Can't live without this medication

May 25, 2014 6:08 PM

Review by Mischiefs Mommy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I absolutely love this! If I don't have it I cannot sleep. And I kick my husband out of bed. So you could say this medicine has saved my marriage.

January 17, 2014 11:43 PM

Review by a j l:

This is great. No more movements or discomfort at night.

September 29, 2013 7:20 AM

Review by quiltrn:

Works great but I get very stuffy for about an hour after I take it.

June 22, 2013 1:50 PM

Review by sumuji (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It takes care of the Restless Legs Syndrome symptoms but also seems to give me insomnia, which kind of defeats the purpose. I can initially go to sleep and get a 3-4 hours but then I'm suddenly wide awake. Requip worked for a while but you have to increase dosage fairly quickly and that causes some bad side effects. I may have to try a 3rd option.

June 13, 2013 12:21 AM

Review by Saro (taken for less than 1 month):

Delighted to hear others have benefited by taking Mirapex, I have had very mixed results. It certainly has alleviated my symptoms connected with Restless Legs Syndrome. But the relief came with a price. I became so nauseated that I was up all night, so after three nights I had to stop taking the medicine. I found Percocet the ideal replacement.

May 2, 2013 2:49 PM

Review by SWS Canadian (taken for 10 years or more):

I was diagnosed with Restless Legs Syndrome back in the '90's. I was first prescribed levodopa/carbidopa and it was wonderful at first. However it started losing effectiveness and making me sick during the day at times. Then a new medicine came out- Mirapex and I was put on it at 0.25mg before bedtime. It worked well for several years but had to be upped to 0.5mg. I found that Mirapex controlled my RLS fairly well and I was on it for 12 years! The last year I forced myself to cut back to 0.25mg again and put up with some symptoms. Then, I recently stopped taking it altogether. I have been taking strong vitamin supplements, but they didn't stop the RLS. However, when I started taking Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium, and bathing in bath salts the RLS has disappeared.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2013 1:29 PM

Review by this works for me. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started getting Restless Legs Syndrome in 2010, caught me off guard. I was taking Requip, and that worked for awhile, but I found that I was getting leg shaking during the day. Since I sit at a computer all day, this was very annoying and would actually interfere with my job. So I started taking the Requip during the day to alleviate the shaking, that made me very tired. I went to a neurologist, and he changed my script to Mirapex. The 1st night was wonderful, the next full day, I was sleepy. He had put me on 0.5 tabs 3x a day. I found that if I cut a tab into quarters, I could take 1/4 during the day with miminal sleepiness, and 1/2 tab at night when I wanted to sleep real good. So I end up taking the pill just 2x a day.

March 14, 2013 10:41 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medication has been so extremely helpful to me. After years of having restless legs syndrome (it runs in our family) I have been able to sleep at nights. Thanks goodness for this medication.

March 8, 2013 9:54 AM

Review by glauderback (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Restless legs syndrome is a hard problem to deal with. Mirapex seems like a God send. But like most things it comes with a cost. First was the dollar cost which over the last 6 years has gone up considerably. The next price you pay is from side effects. Falling asleep while talking to someone is embarrassing and dangerous. But I've found a wonderful fix. While at the doctors I had to use a Doctor's Assistant (who was playing on her cell phone while talking to me). She gave me a prescription for Mirapex that is time released and you only take it at night just before bed time. My energy level has increased 10x and I don't fall asleep while dinning out with my wife. Blessed by Doctor%u2019s Assistant and her playing on the cell phone actually was searching on the intranet for something to help with the problem.

November 29, 2012 8:37 AM

Review by oldman37 (taken for 10 years or more):

Mirapex (Pramipexole) is truly a wonder, it takes away 99% of my symptoms if taken early evening. I've used it for 10 years or more now and it hasn't failed me until lately, as my dose is now at 1mg at night and 0.5mg in the morning. My symptoms do come up early enough to get me out of bed in the morning once in a rare while.

August 13, 2012 1:00 PM

Review by bolesciwa (taken for 10 years or more):

Mirapex helps me.

June 28, 2012 11:01 AM

Review by veldon7 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking Mirapex for 7 or 8 yrs, I am now up to 0.50 to 0.75 it has worked well for me, except I have gained a lot of weight, and now I am having augmentation, meaning my legs start jerking earlier in the day and my arms are starting to have it. I can't increase it much more, too much fatigue, I am concerned about what I am going to take now. I've tried other things that don't work so beware of dopamine agonists after so many years you become immune to it unfortunately. I could not afford it if I had not qualified for patient assistance program, I don't have insurance.

June 24, 2012 11:18 AM

I have had restless legs syndrome for many years. The first medicine I started to take was Klonopin which worked okay, but about 10 years ago I changed to Mirapex. It is such a great medicine for this problem that if I happen to forget to take it, as I do a few times a year, I totally freak out and panic. Once I was on a trip and realized I'd forgotten this medicine and was in a panic. Without this medicine my nights would all be a nightmare. With this drug I have no problems with my legs and no side effects. Thanks to whoever came up with this miracle.

March 24, 2012 9:59 PM

Evidently my restless legs syndrome is worse than most. I take 1 Mirapex ER, but sometimes I need to take another. I am much better off with the medicine. I could not sleep without it.

March 6, 2012 6:13 PM

This somewhat reduced my restless legs syndrome (which occurs every other day and is enough to keep me up at night and be bothersome); however, this gave me insomnia, specifically causing me trouble falling asleep and once I was finally able to fall asleep, I would wake up once every two hours or so.

February 29, 2012 12:31 AM

I have been taking Mirapex for a couple of weeks now. It doesn't seem to be helping that much just yet. I was diagnosed with restless legs syndrome about 6 years ago, which was a problem at night time. In October, I suddenly started having severe symptoms during the day, so I went to my doctor and she put me on Mirapex 0.125mg a day. I have noticed that I will suddenly feel very sleepy at times, while I've just been completely alert, which I see might be from the medication. Hopefully, with time it will relieve my symptoms for good!

November 17, 2011 9:58 PM

Review by longtimer:

Severe restless legs syndrome with Periodic Limb movement for over 45 yrs. Clonazepam worked fine for a long time, then became less effective. Doctor added Mirapex - it worked BUT: I gained 60 lbs in 3 yrs from obsessive eating, charged lot of money to my credit cards due to obsessive spending (both stated side effects) AND fell asleep without warning, mostly at night (twice while driving), so I tapered off. Have lost most of the weight, paying off the bills, but need more than clonazepam.

September 20, 2011 7:36 PM

Truly a God send. You don't feel like you've run a marathon all night. Other comments are true about running out of a prescription, or not taking it for a few days. You can tell! I just have one question --- if it feels like you've run a marathon all night, how come you don't wake up skinnier?

September 6, 2011 4:57 PM

I have had restless leg syndrome all my life. I can remember when I was about 5 or 6 telling my mom my feet tickle...didn't know how else to explain it at that age. Today I am 39 yrs old and am only alive because of Mirapex. My RLS has become so severe that without this medication I would not sleep. One time I was without my medication and was up for 3 days straight. Ended up in the emergency room many times when I didn't have any medication just to get some form of relief. I currently take Mirapex 1mg at night, but sometimes will have to take a half during the day. My RLS will bother me mid afternoon at times and when it's really bad will go into my hands and forearms. I am eternally grateful for Mirapex despite the side effects of nausea, tired and weak.

September 1, 2011 7:43 AM

Review by Anonymous323:

I have suffered from RLS and PLMD for years. The last few years I've been taking Sinemet, which worked great in the beginning but gradually lost its effectiveness. I was up to 3 pills a day and the RLS was worse than ever. My neurologist just started me on Mirapex and it is incredible. One pill at night and I get a good nights sleep. I'm also not getting the RLS during the daytime anymore. I haven't felt this good in a long time! No side effects either.

August 2, 2011 10:55 AM

I have never had any side effects to the Mirapex but I have all of a sudden started having a gambling problem at the age of 47. It is listed as a side effect and I wonder if it is the medicine contributing. Requip has the same side effect listed. I have to take it for my restless legs syndrome or I cannot sleep.

July 7, 2011 1:14 PM

I've had restless leg syndrome for about 15 years and have tried several medications. Gabapentin worked most nights, but left me practically catatonic the next day. Klonopin did nothing to help my symptoms. Requip made me feel like I was going insane, and really scared me. I gave Mirapex a high rating because it has completely eliminated all my symptoms. Unfortunately, I have severe nasal congestion as a side effect which also keeps me up all night. If I don't take it, I can breathe, but my legs are jumping and jerking all night. If I do take it, my nose feels like it's filled with cement. Either way I can't sleep. I guess it's back to the doctor to try something else.

January 1, 2011 5:09 PM

Review by blondie2:

I agree with it working. I had Rest Legs Syndrome and didn't sleep good for a month. After being put on other medicines that didn't work, the doctor decided to give me Mirapex. Oh my. I sleep every night and wake very clear and not groggy. I truly do not know where I would be if it weren't for this medication.

December 13, 2010 6:44 PM