User Reviews for Livalo

High Cholesterol 30 reviews 38 medications

6.4
Summary of Livalo reviews 30 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Livalo

For High Cholesterol "Went off lipitor after about 7 years followed by crestor for 2 years. I experienced muscle pain and nightly heartburn. Started Livalo after being off Crestor for 60 days to make sure it was the statin that caused the muscle pain. It was. Now experiencing no muscle pain with Livalo and to my surprise no heartburn. Had no idea that lipitor and crestor caused the heartburn. Had NMR bloodtest last week. Livalo is amazing. Triglicerides plummeted, cholesterol particle size went up nicely and insulin resistance went from pre-diabetic which it has been for 5 years to no risk. If your Dr. doesn't do NMR test you may be taking statin unnecessarily. My cardio Dr. doesn't even want to know what traditional HDL and LDL numbers are."

PaulDK (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

For High Cholesterol "Crestor, Lipitor, in fact all statins except Livalo gave me severe muscle pains 24/7. Having Post Polio Syndrome the situation was exacerbated. Livalo gave me no pains at all for the 6 or so years I have been taking it."

Christofer July 28, 2015

For High Cholesterol "Has lowered triglycerides-also cholesterol and so far no side affects."

pusha (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

For High Cholesterol "I stopped taking avorastatin due to my blood sugar raising while on the prescription. I also experienced a dull aching in my legs and arms off and on. The avorastatin also gave me night terrors where I woke up screaming seeing dark figures in the room. Now I have switched to Livalo for the last few months. My blood sugars are still up a littler higher than when I don't take cholesterol medication, but it is much more manageable. My nightmares have gone away. My cholesterol numbers are within range with healthy eating. I do not experience muscle aches at all with Livalo. So far, so good!"

ranilovesus (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2015

For High Cholesterol "After taking 2mg of Livalo for 3 weeks, I experienced several side effects, so much so, I am no longer taking any statin. Severe muscle pain and weakness and joint pain, flu like symptoms but no fever, even though I felt like I had a fever. Slight cough, runny nose and extreme lower abdominal pain. Then came the chills. That's it. I have experienced muscle weakness and pain on other statins, so my body knows better and I'm listening to it."

MBHJ (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

For High Cholesterol "Tried numerous statins over a dozen, legs hurt so bad couldn't sleep. Been taking this 2mg for over two years NO side effects. If you not on any govt program like Medicare you can use the company card and get it for $18.00 a month vs. $233.00 a month cash. "

Ttex (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

For High Cholesterol "Livalo is the first statin medicine I have taken without experiencing muscle pain side effects. After a year, I still have no issues though I had to stop taking 3 others including pravastatin, Crestor and Lipitor. My numbers are all good now with a particularly good reading for good cholesterol."

HKFlash December 22, 2014

For High Cholesterol "No apparent side effects and seems to control my cholesterol sufficiently."

DustyDave November 17, 2014

For High Cholesterol "I was so hoping I could take Livalo. From the very beginning I started having headaches. I thought it was from having allergies. Took it for two months. Started having tightness in chest, muscles hurting in shoulders, and neck. Getting tired just walking around in apartment. Feeling feverish, no fever, chills. Itching, but other medicines I take say they can cause itching too, but itching got worse since taking Livalo. Stopped taking it one week ago today. Haven't told doctor yet since I already had an appointment next week. I would rather watch my diet. Actually the doctor said my heart was in good shape. Don't think I'm that bad off."

bornhoosier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2014

For High Cholesterol "My doctor asked me to try Livalo for high cholesterol due to my blood sugar raising when I was on atovastatin. I stopped taking Atovastatin because I had nightmares on it and felt like my legs had an aching dull pain most of the time. Livalo is very expensive at $65.00 per month! I will get my numbers checked this week for Livalo. So far I had pain in my fingers, palm of my hand, and knee pain for the first 2 weeks. After 1 month all of the pain has subsided, but now I find my fasting glucose numbers are beginning to get higher than when not on cholesterol medication. If my fasting glucose continues to rise, I will stop taking Livalo even if it helps my cholesterol numbers."

Mary Elizabeth May 12, 2014

For High Cholesterol "Cardiologist put me on this because I had muscle cramping and pain on Crestor and other statins. Took very low dose once a week. Tolerated it well for about 2 months than started having muscle cramping in my leg so severe that I was completely unable to sleep. Have not had cholesterol levels checked, but I will have to stop taking this."

KCJan February 23, 2014

For High Cholesterol "I've been on Livalo for 9 mos increasing the dose from 2 mg to 4 mg every other day with no side effects then due to poor LDL test (140) my MD switched me to 4 mg every day after 45 days I now have extreme diarrhea, stomach pain overall weakness and feel like I'm depressed And in a fog, sexual desire has waned as well - I'm stopping the meds. I'm 55 yrs old I work out 4 x a week lift weights etc triglycerides have always been low (55) and HDL (76) high without meds, only LDL was 170."

Hyeoctane February 7, 2014

For High Cholesterol "I'm sure Livalo works for some people but after the first pill I had to stop. I felt like I had severe flu symptoms. My head pounded all night, my neck was sore and stiff, I felt disoriented like my head was full of cotton and had a mild panic attack. Couldn't go to work the next day. It's too bad because I know it does good for some but the side effects hit me hard. I'll have to stick to diet and exercise."

Anonymous55 October 17, 2013

For High Cholesterol "Been on Livalo for two months now and it did not change my cholesterol levels. Still at 285/212. No symptoms or side effects. Just does not work for me."

jmoore211 September 18, 2013

For High Cholesterol "I am 50 and had 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes. I cannot take any statins because of leg cramps. I have been on Livalo for 18 months my cholesterol is 183 from 329 I love it. It took the place of 4 different medicines that caused a mal-absorption problem. I go through patient assistance program but was told Lilly care doesn't carry it any more."

Chargenut July 9, 2013

For High Cholesterol "I have been on Livalo for 4 months. About 4 weeks ago starting having pain in fingers of my left hand. 2 weeks ago pain in back of leg from above the knee to the foot. Pain is persisting and hinders my sleep. I have had problems with my muscles while on Lipitor and Crestor."

Bassetbuddies (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2013

For High Cholesterol "Livalo did bring my numbers down very well in about 6 weeks. However I am now off it with my doctor's blessing as I cannot take the side effects of terrible shoulder pain as well as hands, neck, back, knees & the worsening of neuropathy in the feet and a dull ache in the head. Experienced increased thirst, feeling of having a fever (though not). My memory was not as sharp. I have experienced this on Lipitor, Crestor, Vitoryn, Pravastatin & now Livalo. My doctor said he does not want me in pain & said there are people who have high numbers but still do fine. Have been off Livalo for about a week & see symptoms improving. I am tired of living on "Statin Island", so once again I have moved on. Am trying plant sterols, pectin, fiber, oats."

laughinglin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2013

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol "I have been taking livalo for 4 weeks and started having mild aching in upper extremities but then had severe pain in my left thumb and palm pad and weakness in my arms and wrists. I also was chilly all the time so I think I had a temp. I also began having frequent urination. I immediately stopped taking it. My symptoms are much less painful. I have not been able to take statins before."

berloubla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2013

For High Cholesterol "I was surprised at the amount of negative reviews versus good reviews for Livalo and other statins. I am a 45 year old male. 205 LDL 280 total cholesterol. I have been on it just about 1 month. First 2 weeks did have some mild muscle soreness on back of legs but heard that CoQ10 helped and it seemed to go away after taking that and I also take Vitamin D. I work out a lot and lift weights and would feel a little more fatigue than normal when working out. I noticed if I take creatinine prior to working out I feel as good as before taking the medicine. So all in all I feel pretty, pretty good. The two supplements I am taking seem to work for a lot of the side effects people talk about. I will go back for testing in 2 weeks."

Q10 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2013

For High Cholesterol "I have been on many Statins over the last 20 years, I am a 61 year old woman. I have been taking Livalo for about a year, as I had horrible muscle aches and thought had the flu on other statins. The muscle aches and weakness are back. My doctor insists because of my high cholesterol and triglycerides I must take SOMETHING but I can't take the muscle pain. I am stopping, and calling the doctor."

FEG (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2013

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol "I'm sensitive to statin drugs. Have tolerated Livalo well for about 6 mos. then started having extreme weakness in my legs, confusion, forgetfulness, and my hair is falling out. Also dark urine but only in the morning (I take my Livalo at bedtime). Don't know if I can contribute all the side effects to the Livalo since I also take other medicines. I'm taking the maximum dose. At last check my HDL was 85 and my LDL was 115."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 26, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For High Cholesterol "I have extremely high Triglyceride, and very high cholesterol. LDL could not be calculated due to very high Trig levels, HDL very low. After I had been on Livalo, a medicine for high Trig, it brought my Trig level down so that LDL was calculated 199, Cholesterol 365, still low HDL. I have tried several brands of statins that made me very sick. Since I was prescribed Livalo, I am happy to report that I don't have the side effects the other statins caused. I am hopeful for my next lab draw, after hearing about the positive reports you have posted on this site. "

MerryMiss (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2012

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Livalo worked well, but after about a year, the same old muscle aches that the other statins have caused came on with a vengeance. All my muscles ached horribly. Two days after I stopped taking the medicine, most of the pain has gone"

Anonymous February 21, 2012

For High Cholesterol "My 81 yr old father took 2 pills of Livalo. He stopped it because he was in pain right away. He still complains of pain and it has been at least a year since taking it. He is off all statins because he reacts to them. "

BARBQ December 17, 2011

For High Cholesterol "I have been taking Livalo for 6 months. Changed from Crestor due to leg cramps. My recent blood work was the best I have ever had, however I was recently diagnosed with stage 3 chronic kidney disease. Never had any problems before, also extreme hair loss. I attribute both to Livalo."

Anonymous October 23, 2011

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate