User Reviews for Actos

Learn more about Actos.

Actos review summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 114 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Actos to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Review by Tbeckley548:

I am 66 years old and have been on Actos for over five years, taking 45mg. Lately I have experienced shortness of breath swelling of ankles and feet, weight gain, anemia and fatique. My primary physician ordered an echo-cardiogram and a lung function test and they both indicated my heart and lungs were fine. Dr. attributed the issues to my taking Actos and immediately took me off the medication. He replaced it with Tradjenta (5mg) and asked me to monitor my blood sugar levels three times a day during the transition. I have been off Actos for 24 hours and feel better already. I know that sounds impossible but I believe it may have been the cause of my recent health issues.

July 3, 2013 1:05 AM

Review by vin1z:

Used to get hallucinations at times in the night after using pioglitazone. Scary side effect. My doctor changed me over to a different combination.

November 16, 2011 12:47 AM

I have been taking Actos 15mg for about a month now, no ill effects like I feared. I keep watch for edema and so far nothing. My insurance would not cover the Januvia I used to be on- and for me Actos works better. My numbers are normal now (90-140) and they were high normal on the Januvia. I would recommend this medicine to people who cannot afford the DDP-4 (Januvia class) drugs.

October 29, 2011 3:28 AM

Actos has worked well for me for 10 years and now comes FDA with another cancer scare. Anything can induce cancer and the scientific data on Actos causing cancer does not have that much credibility with me.

October 24, 2011 12:00 AM

Causes edema. I lost 30lbs in less than 3 months after going off Actos.

May 5, 2011 9:31 PM

Review by epiphany4z:

Took 30 mg Actos for 8 or so months was very happy with it at first. It did lower my numbers but...I had so many bad side effects. Weight gain, chronic fatigue, swelling, urgent need to urinate, watery eyes, and pain. I could barley get up my steps. I stopped taking this medicine myself and I feel as if I have been raised from the dead.

January 25, 2011 3:17 PM

Review by nosugar4me:

I've been taking 30 mg of Actos per day for 3 years. In that time I have gained 55 lbs and I have had problems with my feet, ankles and lower legs swelling. I would have stopped taking this medication a long time ago but I was blaming the water retention and weight gain on menopause. Now that I stopped taking Actos I lost 4 lbs in 2 days.

October 16, 2010 3:26 AM

Review by Lepricon:

My blood sugar level with Actos is higher then without taking it.

September 25, 2010 3:35 PM

Experienced many side effects, blood sugar was higher than before I was placed on Actos. My doctor took me off of it immediately. After she did, I felt great.

September 22, 2010 7:23 PM

Review by Nikitagirl:

My doctor put me on Actos 6 months ago. I noticed swelling of legs and feet. The joints in my arms are aching daily. I also had a 23 pound weight gain and noticed headaches. But it has brought my sugar levels back under control. I didn't know about the particular side effects. I am going to talk to my doctor about them and see if I can get a replacement.

June 17, 2010 8:56 PM

Have been on Actos for almost a year, gained 24 pounds and have swelling in hands and feet and are retaining a lot of water in my thighs. My sugar levels are good. My doctor lowered my dosage from 30 mg to 15 mg but refused to take me off. Will get a second opinion because the side effects are too much.

June 9, 2010 8:18 PM

Review by evilmommy:

Changing diet and exercise before starting Actos got my levels at a certain level at certain times during the day. Added Actos, my numbers didn't change, doctor still has me on it for some unknown reason.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2010 8:54 AM

Review by CWA:

I was on Actos for nine months. At first it controlled my blood sugar well, but then I started to have blood sugar lows in the 40s, gained 28 pounds eating 1200 calories a day, swelling of feet and lower legs, and finally short term memory loss. Got a second opinion on the drug. Stopped it and all symptoms ceased within one week. I have lost 12 of the 28 pounds. I have lost 50 before this drug. I am now on glipizide and metformin. My blood sugar is a little higher but I feel so much better. I took a difficult college class and got an A, so I know my brain is functioning better.

September 15, 2009 6:43 PM

Review by nicamar:

I been taken Actos 30mg since a year from now and my sugar lever went down but not enough, then my doctor changed it to 45mg. Is great for my sugar level but my legs, feet and ankle can not handle it ss too much swelling.

September 13, 2009 4:16 AM

I have been taking Actos 45mg for 1 month and have not experienced any side effects. It works well for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2009 11:37 AM

Been using Actos 15 mg with Metformin (2x1000) for several years now. Most of the side effects listed have not been a factor for me. I do have some swelling of the lower legs and ankles, but that was pre-existing. I have not noticed any difference since I have been on this medication.

June 4, 2009 3:51 PM

Review by bjrouse:

My Doctor started me on 30 mg when I was diagnosed 13 months ago. I jog, hike, and lift weights and was experiencing lows quite frequently so my doctor and I decided to reduce my dosage to 15 mg. The lower dosage works great for me. My lows are more predictable and are not as frequent. Off setting the lows temporarily is easily accomplished with food or juice. I have not experienced any swelling, nor any side effects that I am aware of other than the occasional lows (80s). I think this is due to the low dosage, regular exercise, my diuretics for high blood pressure and watching what I eat carefully. I am very satisfied thus far with Actos.

May 5, 2009 10:57 PM

Review by dr.endo:

It is a very effective drug when used correctly for suitable patients.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2009 11:29 AM

Review by ZOINKS:

I had never had any medicines that controlled my blood sugar levels like ACTOS. I am so happy to stay in my 100 realm.

May 2, 2009 8:22 PM

Review by dhannebohn:

I took Actos 45 mg for about 2 years an had swelling in my legs and muscle pain as side effects. Actos did bring my HbA1C down to 5.9 so it was great for blood sugar control but the side effects just got to be to much to handle. I tried switching to glucophage during that time but could not tolerate it due to stomach problems. My doctor is now switching me to glipizide and we'll see how that goes.

December 31, 2008 1:00 PM

Review by D ANDERSON (GA):

I used this drug for about 8 months and lost 3 teeth at rear of mouth, due to tooth decay. Then found out that tooth decay is a side effect in some people. Stopped taking it about 2 years ago and no more tooth problems.

November 21, 2008 9:17 AM

Review by arc1:

Causes too many lows

October 31, 2008 1:41 PM

Review by pickle2353:

I have been taking this drug for one month and I feel so much better and my sugar is in control. I noticed that my digestive problems mostly disappeared when I started taking this drug. My IBS is much better. The swelling and bloating in my abdomen has reduced greatly. So far I have not had any noticeable side effects. I take 15mg daily.

August 18, 2008 8:58 PM

I was taking 30 mg of Actos daily, and for the two weeks after I seriously started taking it, I had dull throbbing headaches to full blown migraines non-stop! About 2 weeks into taking it, I developed a dull pain in my kidney area. Thinking it was a kidney infection, I went to my Dr's. We found out that it was muscle soreness...one of the common side effects. I also gained weight. As soon as I stopped taking it, the headaches stopped,and the muscle pain is going away.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2008 8:01 PM

Review by nancy wintturi:

I have been taking actos for about two weeks. My ankles and legs have swelled and my joints are extremely painful. I am discontinuing this drug.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2007 11:46 AM