User Reviews for Pimozide

Also known as: Orap

Learn more about Pimozide.

Pimozide review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome.

Reviews for Pimozide to treat Tourette's Syndrome

Review by Texastilly:

Orap (pimozide): I'm a 65 year old female who has just been diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome. Only been on medication 1 week very low dose. I've already gained weight and experienced dull mind also energizing. Orap scares me for my age. My tic is a throaty burping sound. This whole experience is rare and unbelievable. My tic is slowing somewhat.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 21, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Vest (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Orap (pimozide): I was diagnosed at the age of 14 with Tourette's Syndrome, and I am now 15. Before Orap I had a severe tic to my right side that would happen usually when I was stressed, or something was out of place, but sometimes at random. Though this medicine has helped me tremendously, I can say I am much better off without it. The side effects were just too much. I became void of any energy, and would stay in bed for more than 12 hours a day. I also started to experience syncope. I decided to stop taking Orap for a couple of weeks to see if the side effects would cease. I felt mildly better, but I developed a tic similar to what you would see in a person with Tardive Dyskinesia. I'm going back to my doctor soon to discuss what has been going on.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 1:42 AM

Review by Lezlee1302:

Orap (pimozide): I took Orap in my early 20s. My tics were minimal and I only needed Clonidine in my early 30s. I'm having a bout right now and am so scared to take the Orap again due to the side effects I've read up on. Don't know if I should just wait it out or what. I've been stuck in my hose since the end if January. Can't take the stares.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by Slick#4:

Orap (pimozide): My son was diagnosed with Tourettes and he is 10yrs old. The medicine has helped a little with his tics but still does some. His anger is getting worse while on this medication and has gained alot of weight in the half a year he has been on this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by gene A (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Orap (pimozide): My experience with Orap was horrible. It was like taking speed for me. I was so Hyper I couldn't sit still long enough to eat a bowl of beans, I had to be moving constantly. I told the doctor how they affected me. He said Orap does that to some people so he put me back on my old meds that didn't work. Klonopin and Haldol.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2013 6:14 PM

Orap (pimozide): It is the only medication that has worked for me. Others such tenex and risperdal made my tics increase 10 fold.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2012 7:05 AM

Review by jesse ray:

Orap (pimozide): I am an 18 year old male. I fond out I had Tourette's Syndrome when I was 15 and I was put on Orap. Orap helped me, my girlfriend says my tics aren't that bad.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2011 3:20 PM

Review by MrUbiquitous:

Orap (pimozide): I am a 41 year old male who was diagnosed with TS when I was 12. I had medium severity and was on Haldol for 3 years, I was a zombie. I changed to Orap and it was like I was born again. I still take it after all these years, 2 mg per day and have minimal to no tics noticeable. Teva assistance program gives free medication to those who are eligible, I am on this program.

July 12, 2011 7:36 AM

Review by Red Light:

Orap (pimozide): I have had Tourette's since I was nine years old. I remember blinking non stop and knowing that something was wrong. I am now 30 and have been on Risperdal, Haldol, and Orap. The Orap is the only thing that works without any harsh side effects. Mostly I have facial and vocal tics that get fairly severe under stress. The Orap eliminates all but the most severe tics. I am extremely thankful for Orap and how it has helped make my life a little more normal. I also suffer from anxiety and OCD.

January 12, 2011 2:19 PM

Review by Neile:

Orap (pimozide): I'm a 38 year old man who has had Tourette's from the age of 8. The only medicine I have found to control my tics almost 100% is Orap. When I take the medication my tics are almost none. I am very lucky not to have the speech tics. Mine are mostly ticks in my eyes and face.

November 11, 2009 8:10 AM

Orap (pimozide): I was diagnosed with a "medium' case of Tourettes Syndrome when I was seven years old. I'm now 23, and in the times before I started Orap about 4 years ago I was on almost every single medication that can be used for Tourettes. In addition to the tics, I have severe anxiety/depression problems, so it complicates matters. I've seen many psychiatrists, and they have all done their best, but in the end, it really came down to finding the right combination of drugs. The Orap is good. There is no cure for Tourettes, yet, but I have faith they will find it. I believe very strongly that medication is not the only way to treat it. Sleep, diet and exercise are all important. But of all the tic medicines, Orap helps the most.

May 24, 2009 1:33 PM