User Reviews for Paxil

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 323 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Paxil for 10 years now. I maxed out on the dosage at 60mg/day. It served me well and improved my anxiety symptoms. Having gotten married 2 months ago, and anticipating getting pregnant, I began to wean myself off. I went from 60mg/day to 40, then to 20, then 10, and now 5mg/day. Each time I started to feel better and adjusted to the lower dose, I lowered it again. The withdrawals have been awful. I have been so sick for the last several weeks. Nauseous, dizzy, insomnia, "zaps", no appetite, no energy. Now at 5mg/day, I feel better. The withdrawals are now quite tolerable. My next step is 2.5mg/day, then done.

May 24, 2011 6:31 PM

Review by smallworldlover:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was on Paxil since I was 16. I didn't know how good it was until I went off of it 16 years later. Major panic attacks and life felt like it was not worth living! Tried other SSRI's which didn't work and made me feel worse! (Zoloft and Pristiq were the worst!) Going back to Paxil. Never should have quit it in the first place! I hope to get the joy I once had back!

May 13, 2011 8:41 PM

For Depression: I have Bipolar 1 Disorder. Paxil is great! Mainly used for Depression also PTSD and anxiety. I take 40 mg a day for last 4 or so years. Caution do not abruptly stop Paxil if you've been on it for 2 months or more. Severe body shocks happen during withdrawal. They feel like electrical impulses throughout the body. My brain gets "heavy" and "dizzy" and I can't stop it or concentrate on anything. I have gone off Paxil and have been to the ER for withdrawal. The shocks are the worst and unbearable for me. 4 days without Paxil I begin to get these "shocks" I take my Paxil daily, try not to skip doses and I recommend you do the same. Doctors have told me it is one of the worst withdrawals comparable to heroin withdrawals. Taper Taper Taper!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2011 8:50 AM

For Depression: This is my 2nd bout of depression. I am in early 60's and had my first bout about 10 years ago. Paxil has been the most effective anti-depressant for me. Major live with side effect is sexual - great erections but hard to ejaculate. Otherwise Paxil does excellent job of controlling my depression. Each episode for me last about 6 months of treatment. Don't forget to taper off according to doctors advice.

April 24, 2011 10:28 PM

For Depression: I was prescribed Paxil for depression/anxiety and it caused me to become shaky. My hands would shake, I would bounce my legs while sitting but the worst was the blurry vision! These side effects lasted about ten days after stopping the medication.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2011 1:40 AM

For Postpartum Depression: Had a terrible case of postpartum depression and was not aware of what I was going through. I was lost and not myself. I was prescribed Paxil and within 7 days, the sun was shining again and I was able to enjoy my new life with my beautiful baby girl.

April 15, 2011 4:57 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Seems that the side effects from the Paxil were worse than the stress or anxiety.

April 2, 2011 6:53 AM

Review by Lefty Loveless:

For Anxiety and Stress: Within a week or two of taking a low dose of Paxil I experienced constant migraines (never have had a problem with headaches before), extreme fatigue, and constipation. My doctor switched me to Zoloft after a month on Paxil and I feel much better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2011 6:52 PM

Review by concerned1111:

For Anxiety and Stress: Increased mine & my childrens anxiety to the point we were violent with one another. I ended up on the pshyc ward and lost my home. I was a single mom of three with a 40 hour week job. Was the 3rd anti-depressant we tried.

March 7, 2011 11:21 AM

Review by jj137:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have taken Paxil on and off for about five years. I started to take it after suffering from overwhelming anxiety and panic around the time that my marriage fell apart. My GP put me on this medicine instead of Xanax (which was working) because it was not addictive, etc. And indeed, taking Paxil most decidedly reduces my anxiety and gives me a better quality of life. I stopped taking it about a year ago, and have noticed an exponential growth in stress the last few months. I've decided to start taking it again, and was doing some online reading when I came across this site. And so I decided to put my two cents in the bucket.

March 5, 2011 9:09 PM

For Panic Disorder: I've been experiencing panic attacks for over a year, at first I thought maybe it was a phase that would pass but they have become constant and are really affecting my life. My doctor prescribed 10mg dosage for the first 2 weeks then 20mg from then on and I take them before bed. I been on it for a week and 3days and experiencing headaches and when I wake up to fast I feel like the room is moving and I can't focus my vision. Hopefully the side effects go away and I can experience the benefits. I've been reading lots of different opinions, mostly about the withdrawal symptoms. I'm 18 so I don't want to be hooked on it forever then again if it helps my panic disorder and doesn't cause any major health issues, why not?

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2011 4:18 PM

Review by b-rent:

For Anxiety: I've been on Paxil for almost a year now. My panic attacks where so bad, as soon as I wake up boom panic attack almost all day! It was bad guys Paxil is a God send.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2011 8:10 PM

For Panic Disorder: For the most part I would have to say that Paxil saved my life. I suffered from severe panic attacks, several a day, for years. I've been on every anti-depressant and anti-anxiolytic out there but none helped like Paxil. I have been on it for 12 years now. The side effects that I have dealt with are an 80 pound weight gain over the period I have been on it, I crave food and carbs constantly, I yawn often throughout the day and experience fatigue that can get drop dead tired around the time of my menses. I too have tried to get off of Paxil many times only to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms.

February 3, 2011 12:49 AM

Review by lazytlc:

For Anxiety: Been on Paxil for about 13 years up to 40 mg a day. If I miss a pill or two start to get like electric shocks through my body, so make sure you take them daily. Still have Xanax as back up. Sometimes wonder if the Paxil works good enough. Lately stress level is so high and life events are just driving me crazy.

January 29, 2011 11:37 PM

Review by Frank McKimm:

For Anxiety: Been on it for 12 years, and couldn't stand the anxiety attacks any more, now I hardly have any attacks. This medicine works for me.

January 22, 2011 3:11 PM

Review by n0thing:

For Depression: I've now been on Paroxetine for about 10 years, for severe, chronic depression. I was on Prozac for roughly 15 years before it appeared to lose its effectiveness, so I was prescribed this instead. My initial dose was 40mg daily. It was initially extremely effective as an anti-depressant, and I went from being hospitalized for a week every year for my own safety, to 6 years without a hospitalization. Just a 'blip' in mood every year instead of a crash. However, I'm now on 80mg, and the side-effects at this dose are appalling - chronic insomnia, 100lb weight gain, constant tiredness, muscle aches, migraines, memory loss, zero libido and all-round apathy. Attempting to drop my dosage results in uncontrollable weeping, numbness and terror.

January 12, 2011 8:13 PM

Review by maureen1206:

For Anxiety: I was put on Paxil for anxiety, depression and OCD. I have loved it! The only side effect is a bit of tension/anxiety that they say will pass. But the big problem has been the fact that I cannot orgasm anymore. I have been on Paxil on for 5 weeks, but noticed this problem in the first week. I have an appointment with the doctor to have an update and discuss this issue. Will post the results as I don't really see anyone else posting what has helped with this.

January 12, 2011 5:00 AM

Review by diphenman:

For Anxiety and Stress: 1st week: Paxil worked for my depression and anxiety instantly which is out of the norm. I was nauseous all the time and experienced yawning quite frequently, this went away as time went on. Paxil had an almost euphoric feel for me, I was laughing at everything and enjoying life. 1st month: Yawning still exists, euphoria has worn off as well as any anti-depressant effect. However still for works for anxiety. 3rd month and beyond: Outside of excessive sleeping and somewhat fatigue feeling Paxil is awesome for anxiety, but the antidepressant effect wore off rather quickly for me. Recommend for anxiety, not recommended for depression.

January 9, 2011 5:39 AM

For Anxiety: Tonight was only my 4th night on the pill. My doctor has me on 10 mg at night for the first week. So far, the side effects are very uncomfortable. I mostly feel them right after taking my dose. My mouth is so dry, I'm nauseous, gassy, I can't sleep and I'm exhausted. I know the doctor said it could take weeks to work, so I'm not knocking it yet. Also, some reviews I have read say that some of the side effects disappear and I am certainly counting on that. So far, I haven't seen much change in my anxiety and hopefully it comes soon.

January 8, 2011 5:24 AM

For Depression: I've been on Paxil for two months now and have seen significant improvement in my mood (no longer crying for no reason) and decreased feelings of anxiety. No side effects. The medication has also helped me deal with my PTSD. I'm able to breath and make good decisions in situations that would otherwise be triggering. After years of attempting to fix myself and deal with my problems on my own, I finally asked my doctor (with analysis by a counselor) for help. Paxil is just the right thing for me. I still don't like the idea of being on medication, but the benefits are too great.

January 5, 2011 7:16 AM

Review by 50 yrs:

For Depression: Depression is gone, but so is sex drive.

January 4, 2011 7:45 PM

For Depression: Surprisingly this is the only SSRI I have been able to tolerate at low doses with beneficial responses and minimal side effects. Taking 20 mg and it's doing well at 1 year to minimize depression and panic attacks, though I tried going to 30 and became insomniac, down to 20 again, no problem. No sexual side effects at this low dose. No major weight gain, though I am a bit concerned about diabetes, A1C is climbing despite (or as a result of) my efforts - not sure if the Paxil is behind that too.

December 23, 2010 10:29 AM

Review by RR96:

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking Paxil for roughly 4 months. I started on a low dose of 10mg per day then my doctor increased that to 20mg per day. I started taking Paxil because I began having panic attacks. At first I really didn't notice a big difference, but as the weeks went along, I stopped having panic attacks. Additionally, Paxil has been very helpful with controlling my mood swings. In the past I've been known to get a little agitated quickly and often. That has ceased as well. Side effects: At first I was tired, but this is no longer an issue. I feel fine in that regard. The sexual side effects are minor. I don't think about sex as much, but getting in the mood has not been an issue. It does take longer to have an orgasm.

December 13, 2010 1:47 PM

For Social Anxiety Disorder: I have already made a prior post but I left out one piece of information: The withdrawal is harsh but I found that by taking NeoCitran I felt 100% better and free of the side effects.

December 6, 2010 10:09 PM

Review by average joe:

For Anxiety and Stress: I had anxiety that was getting more and more severe as the days went by. It was really hard to be around people. I would get nervous and stiffen up and also feel very paranoid that people noticed my discomfort. I started to take Paxil starting at 10 mg. For the first little while nothing was different about my anxiety but soon it was so amazing. I was talking so much without getting nervous. I could look people in the eye and could enjoy my life. All of a sudden things were much more bearable. The only bad part was that it made me kinda absent minded like I didn't really pay attention much, but overall was extremely happy with the results and am glad I only have to take 10 mg a day. Hope my entry helps.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2010 11:01 PM