User Reviews for Paxil

Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paxil reviews 302 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Paxil

Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Surprisingly this is the only SSRI I have been able to tolerate at low doses with beneficial responses and minimal side effects. Taking 20 mg and it's doing well at 1 year to minimize depression and panic attacks, though I tried going to 30 and became insomniac, down to 20 again, no problem. No sexual side effects at this low dose. No major weight gain, though I am a bit concerned about diabetes, A1C is climbing despite (or as a result of) my efforts - not sure if the Paxil is behind that too.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 23, 2010 10:29 AM
Review by RR96: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking Paxil for roughly 4 months. I started on a low dose of 10mg per day then my doctor increased that to 20mg per day. I started taking Paxil because I began having panic attacks. At first I really didn't notice a big difference, but as the weeks went along, I stopped having panic attacks. Additionally, Paxil has been very helpful with controlling my mood swings. In the past I've been known to get a little agitated quickly and often. That has ceased as well. Side effects: At first I was tired, but this is no longer an issue. I feel fine in that regard. The sexual side effects are minor. I don't think about sex as much, but getting in the mood has not been an issue. It does take longer to have an orgasm.

December 13, 2010 1:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have already made a prior post but I left out one piece of information: The withdrawal is harsh but I found that by taking NeoCitran I felt 100% better and free of the side effects.

December 6, 2010 10:09 PM
Review by average joe: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I had anxiety that was getting more and more severe as the days went by. It was really hard to be around people. I would get nervous and stiffen up and also feel very paranoid that people noticed my discomfort. I started to take Paxil starting at 10 mg. For the first little while nothing was different about my anxiety but soon it was so amazing. I was talking so much without getting nervous. I could look people in the eye and could enjoy my life. All of a sudden things were much more bearable. The only bad part was that it made me kinda absent minded like I didn't really pay attention much, but overall was extremely happy with the results and am glad I only have to take 10 mg a day. Hope my entry helps.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2010 11:01 PM
Review by Nawch0s cally: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Suicidal, depressed and anxious for 9 years, finally decided I could not handle it on my own anymore and decided to seek help. My doctor prescribed me Paxil and 20 minutes after I took it I no longer wanted to kill myself (this feeling was often, all day everyday almost). It's now been 3 days and still going good. There are however side effects, loss of appetite (not good I'm too thin already), blurred vision (very difficult for an artist), insomnia, impossible to reach ejaculation, also have experienced some increased anxiety. Despite these side affects im faced with a choice, accept the side effects or continue to live my life feeling sad and lonely.

December 3, 2010 12:17 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Started using Paxil as an alternative for estrogen therapy going through menopausal stage. I had no idea that the withdrawal symptoms would be so horrific. I have tried 3 times to ween off but the symptoms of brain zaps, that cause painful electrical jolts from head to toe, and the uncontrollable crying make it almost impossible to work full time and ween off this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 23, 2010 9:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety all of my life. Didn't know until I finally took a serious look with my wife. Doctor prescribed 10 mg. Had muscle restlessness, chattering teeth and insomnia, which I already had and Paxil made it worse. I've had sex for a while i=with no orgasm and no ejaculation. Additionally, Paxil makes me have the urge to drink alcohol were there was none before. Going to my doctor to get something else.

November 16, 2010 7:08 PM
Review by yosher: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Paxil increased anxiety and shakiness and I experienced all of the side effects listed the first week I took it and I was miserable.

October 26, 2010 9:18 PM
Review by imozarker: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started Paxil 15 some years ago for anxiety and depression. I'm on the clinical maximum dosage of 75 mg CR. I had no side effects and it has helped me greatly. I also take Xanax.

October 20, 2010 2:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Works great to keep me from being anxious. I take 40 mg daily for last 5 yrs. The only thing I don't like is the weight gain and I need lots of sleep. My leg also jerks when I sleep. Until I read the reviews I didn't think about Paxil causing it. It also keeps me from getting really angry easily. If I miss doses my family knows it immediately because I get very emotional, weepy or angry.

October 19, 2010 7:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been taking Paxil for about 4 weeks now and I'm finally starting to feel like my old self . The first couple of weeks I felt horrible and thought about stopping the medicine but my doctor assured me that it would get worst before it got better.

October 7, 2010 10:06 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on Paxil for about 6 years now and it has really helped lower my anxiety and elevate my mood. When I first started taking it, I noticed I felt calmer and in a better mood within the first 2 days on 10 mg per day. After a couple of months on Paxil, I felt a lot better, but was starting to build up tolerance so my doctor had me increase the dosage to 40 mg/day. The side effects were mostly sexual (decreased sex drive and harder to reach orgasm). I also have experienced weight gain, increased appetite and sleeping more while on Paxil. I highly recommend this drug but make sure not to stop cold turkey because the withdrawal symptoms can be severe with Paxil.

October 6, 2010 5:41 PM
Review by leopardeyes: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Worked great for my depression, at a low dose, for many years. They started me on a high dose and it made me very anxious. Unfortunately after being on Paxil for about 6 years it lost its effectiveness within a week. I still haven't found a replacement for this.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 26, 2010 9:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I had extreme anxiety at first time intercourse with a new partner. Mainly happened with girls I liked the most. Read Paxil delays ejaculation so I asked doctor and gave it a try. 20mgs per day. It works a little too well. Effects do wear off, so I just use it when needed.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 16, 2010 11:15 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I am so happy to have found this board. These success stories are amazing. I've been taking Paxil for about 2 weeks and 2 days and have experienced some tough side effects, lots of trouble sleeping, headaches, mood swings, but it seems a lot of people seem do really well after getting through those first few weeks. I think I want to try and stick with this. It's also helped ease a lot of pain and stress I experienced from a brutal gall bladder surgery.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 2, 2010 4:51 PM
Review by Nikimari:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been off and on Paxil about 3 times in the last 2 years. I start on 20mg and am told the first week to start with a half a pill once a day. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disease and mild anxiety. I could not stop yawning. I felt tired all the time. I didn't notice any weight gain like others that have taken the medicine, but I could not deal with the extreme euphoria. I felt like I was floating through life in bubble if that makes any sense.

August 31, 2010 11:13 AM
Review by anonymous084: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I started using Paroxetine after I received what was the most traumatic news of my life, and it caused my anxiety to go into complete overload. I started having bad panic attacks and terrible anxiety. I also started suffering from really bad obsessive thoughts! My doctor put me on Paroxetine and I have been on it for about 4 weeks now, along with Xanax for short term use until the paroxetine really kicks in. Well I must say that I do feel ALOT better, but not as good as I did before all this started. I'm being a little impatient? I'm told that the Paroxetine takes at least 3-4 weeks before it really starts to work and as I said, it's only been 1 month since I started taking it. I just want the way I used to love life to come back!

August 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Excellent to stop intrusive thoughts and depression. I would not be without it, I have gone through college and am a successful social worker who can now help others. I have been able to go to a lower dose but still keep it in my regimen because I would rather live a full life than a fearful and indecisive one.

August 12, 2010 12:12 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I completely stopped having panic attacks after taking this medication for a few months. I had become house-bound by several debilitating panic attacks every day. I have been on Paxil for close to a year, and it is still working. Side effects I experienced were bruising for the first few months. I also experienced numbness and tingling (my arms and legs started falling asleep all the time). I began taking magnesium supplements and the tingling stopped. I am still experiencing weight gain and tiredness and constant yawning, as well as decreased focus and memory. I am also unable to orgasm, which is strange for me because I used to be able to reach orgasm very easily. Overall, I can work and live again so it's worth the side effects.

August 7, 2010 7:53 PM
Review by skayfox: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: My anxiety has improved and I am sleeping much better. Only possible problem I have noticed is a dip in my mood on the depressed side.

August 3, 2010 10:41 PM
Review by k8teeee: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I took Paxil for about 10 yrs (no weight gain) and quit it recently with the help of my primary care doctor by weaning off of it for 6 months. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after quitting, my symptoms of anxiety and depression have returned 2-fold! I have not been formally diagnosed with anything yet, but do know that Paxil worked the BEST for me! I want to go back on it, but it is Category D- so IF I ever want to have a baby I cannot be on it while pregnant! At the moment, I am trying Wellbutrin, after trying 3 weeks on Buspar to help me (that didn't help). It's only been a week on Wellbutrin and I see some improvements, but nothing like the Paxil. I may ask to go back to Paxil if switching medicines doesn't work. I felt like "myself" on Paxil!

July 28, 2010 10:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I thought I needed an antidepressant, so I tried a couple. Paxil for me had terrible side effects. I felt like I was on speed. Had to eat every two hours. I could not go anywhere; always had to have snacks with me and I lost weight even with the calorie increase. Insomnia was the worst. I could not even take 10 mg. I tried the medication for about 7 weeks and decided it was not for me and began a weaning off process. Reduced to 5 mg for 1 week, this was the hardest and caused the most side effects which included vertigo, nausea and insomnia which lasted about 2 days. Then I reduced to 2.5 mg for another week and a half. Stopped taking it completely after this and did fine with no side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2010 12:13 AM
Review by buc9038: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I was severely depressed before deciding to try this medication. I recently graduated (May 10) with my second B.S. I am also a mother. I knew before that I wasn't happy like I should be. I never ever was proud of my accomplishments, it was difficult for me to do daily tasks and play with my daughter. I was never happy. When I graduated with my bio degree, I sunk really low, the weight above my head felt like a building was being held on top of me. A friend suggested depression. I decided to talk to my doctor about it and we gave Paxil a try. I felt better almost immediately. Within 1 week I can honestly say the weight was gone and I felt better than I have in a REALLY long time. It has changed my life! Highly recommend!

July 20, 2010 1:13 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I was on Paxil CR 25mg for 5 years and 37.5mg for about 1 year. My Doctor and I decided to ween me off due to feeling that it wasn't working as it used to and I didn't want to increase the dose. The weening process went too quickly and I suffered withdrawal symptoms- brain zaps, brain fog, crying, severe mood swings, just to name a few. I also had a rush of emotions that were hidden from being on it. My family and friends said that when I first started taking it, they noticed that I had been withdrawn but they thought that I was happy because my anxiety was gone.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 13, 2010 8:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I have been really surprised by Paxil. I've been disabled by Panic Disorder (and follow-on depression) for years. Benzodiazepines provided relief from panic attacks, but increased depression. I tried other SSRI's with horrible experiences. My MD really wanted me on an antidepressant- I wanted away from benzodiazepines, so I took a chance with Paxil. The first month was bit of nausea/cramps - worst were feelings and thoughts were really jumbled. Somewhere in 2nd month it all sort of stabilized, I felt a lot better, panic attacks dropped a lot. Now in 5th month - Before Paxil I was housebound and hopeless, slowly starting to live again.

June 24, 2010 1:15 PM