User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

"Paxil is good at first but the "good" influence will wear out as soon as your body get used to it. While on it, I felt confident but only on the surface (the med alleviates the physical aspects of SA). On the inside however I'm filled with self doubt, negative thoughts, jealousy of naturally confident people etc. It also made me (careless) not give a damn about socializing so I'm less interested in social situations = more isolated = fear people's views of me. Anyways, please do not consider taking it as it's only a temporary fix. I was dumb enough to believe the success stories written here and tried it. I now have trouble quitting because of the nasty withdrawal symptom.."

bintuae (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2015

"I started taking Paxil about two and a half months ago after many different antidepressants. I was extremely fatigued until the exact 2 month mark then it was like a light bulb went off. I no longer felt exhausted or depressed. The social anxiety no longer plagued me though I don't feel it has been a total cure. But overall, I feel really good. Strangely enough, I have no side effects. No sexual side effects. No sleep issues. Nothing. Paxil is my top choice for the antidepressants I have tried. I am diagnosed bipolar and ADHD as well so I also take an atypical antipsychotic, stimulants, and Xanax strictly for panic attacks. Paxil has really softened the edges for me in combination with everything else I take."

Rissa44 May 31, 2015

"Amazing. Before Paxil, New social situations in my new city at my new job made me almost faint for no reason. I would break out in a sweat and get extremely nervous and re-think how terribly the conversation went until I started Paxil. I'm on the 12.5 MG extended release which is amazing. The night sweats were bad at first but now I don't sleep with the same comforter I used to and they typically never happen anymore. Dreams can be very vivid and intensified especially if I've drank that evening or taken a xanax. Overall it's seriously changed my life for the better and I haven't gained any weight. One side effect would be sex - for the first month or two if was difficult to reach orgasm but now it's back to normal in month 3-4."

Djfkckdksks (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"Paxil has changed my life for the better. I am 39 years and up until a mobth ago I had been dealing with major social and personal anxiety along with bipolar depression and agoraphobia. I had been prescribed a variety of prescription medications by different doctors over the years until last month by chance a new doctor (a general practitioner) suggested Paxil. It has now been a month and I am a whole new person. I have full of confidence and clear thinking. My thought process is in a positive direction and I'm constantly looking for was to improve my mind, body and spirit. I now have a new job after being on SSI for 4 years I thought I would go to my grave on government assistance. PAXIL SAVED MY LIFE!!!"

Molly F. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

"This really does work. I've never been more confident and happier. Even my family and friends said something has changed. I also don't get as nervous in intimate situations. Give it a try if you're skeptical."

ktttt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

"It really works!!! But I gained 14 pounds"

SJM87 November 9, 2014

"I have been depressed with major social anxiety for over five years. I've always been scared to try any medication. Lately it's been unbearable. I have too much social anxiety that I can't even sit through job interviews or simple things like going shopping alone. I'm 25 and have been on Paxil for less than a month. The first two weeks were bad. I'd wake up at odd hours of the night and be wide awake. I'd feel like puking throughout the day along with being very drowsy. Don't worry. It does subside. I feel like going out more and I'm not too worried as I usually am about people judging me or looking at me. I participate in small talk with strangers. I am free to go out without worrying. I'm content."

MissJulia October 26, 2014

"I've been on Paxil close to a week now. It took the doctor close to two month for me to agree to trying it. I tried everything to overcome my anxiety naturally and I really felt like I hit breaking point. Because I have two young children, I knew it was important that I gave this a go...even though I'm in early days my mind seems content. I'm still trying to get used to it though. After stressing about trivial stuff for so long its strange to feel that I have my life back."

Jade- jade October 12, 2014

"I literally thought there was 0 hope for me. My anxiety has increased drastically as I've gotten older and has led to social anxiety. Going out in public would depress me, I constantly thought people were plotting against me and talking about me. I have been on Paxil for about a month. Thank God. My work days are MUCH better, I don't analyze the hell out of everything and I'm not afraid of people. I can now get out of bed and look forward to the day, not dread it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"To the person who recommended NeoCitran, do not take NeoCitran if you're taking Paxil or any other SSRI, unless the form of NeoCitran doesn't contain Dextromethorphan. These two medicines have a major interaction that could cause serotonin syndrome, which is relevant to my review of Paxil. My experience with Paxil so far hasn't been the best. Side effects have been pretty bad, and as I also have ADHD, taking both Paxil and Vyvanse has lead to some serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I got mild serotonin syndrome a few days after I started taking Paxil, because I had been taking both Paxil and Vyvanse in the morning. I find that if I take Paxil at least 12 hours after Vyvanse, the side effects are minimal and haven't had any further problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2014

"Started on Effexor. Lost my mind. Was put on Celexa (20mg) and lived my life. Things were okay. I had anxiety still, but it was controlled. Didn't care much about anything. But my anxiety was controlled. That went on for 2 years. Just over a month ago, I saw a new doctor (insurance changed and previous doctor didn't accept it). She pushed me to try Paxil. I replaced my 20mg of Celexa with 10mg of Paxil for 2 days, then went to 20mg Paxil. No issues at all. I am so happy I did it. I am a completely different person. When I say anxiety was controlled on Celexa, I'll tell you I have NO anxiety on Paxil. I haven't thought about it at all. I leave, drive, hang out with my friends, go do everything that not even Celexa allowed me to do."

TaraB_B March 13, 2014

"I have been taking Paxil CR for a few months. My doctor and I tried many many things. I think an entire year of my life was spent on playing with medications and dosages. I am currently taking 37.5 + 12.5 and have been for a while now. I haven't felt this "steady" in years. I can leave my apartment feeling "Free" now. I used to be borderline agoraphobic. I still have a long way to go but Paxil has done NOTHING but GOOD for me. Good Luck!"

RebornAGAIN January 22, 2014

"I have been on Paxil for about 15-16 yrs now. I have probably had social anxiety problems since grade school. It just got worse. Paxil is a good medicine for me but not sure at this point that 30 to 20 mg was a good weaning action. My social anxiety in AA has now increased due to decrease in medicine. When I look at the "good" Paxil has done, it far outweighs the "bad". Having social anxiety is something that can isolate a person. I am not perfect in that regard, but this medicine has definitely been a positive thing in my life. It's not perfect, as I have to work on myself constantly, but it has helped me!"

Man 47yrs old (taken for 10 years or more) August 29, 2013

"I have had bad social anxiety from a very young age. It has affected my ability to obtain and maintain employment. I have tried Zoloft also, but it did not work near as well as Paxil does for me. Since taking Paxil, I have been working a new job for two months. I only give it a 9 because of the minor side effects, which I have been able to find a way around anyway. If your social anxiety is so bad that it affects your ability to support yourself, I would recommend Paxil. I am on 20mg. When I was taking 30mg the side effects were enough to make me switch to Zoloft for a while, but 20mg of Paxil is working great for me."

working lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2013

"Paxil has changed my life! Before: paranoia about people watching me, extreme anxiety walking or being in public places, such as cafeterias, college campus, small groups of people. Mind blankness during conversations, or "social lock up" - inability to interact with others due to severe anxiety. Always woke up feeling tired even if I had a full nights sleep. Side Effects (lasted 2 weeks): 20mg daily. Severe fatigue/sleepiness. A little dizziness if dose was taken late. Headache the 1st two days. Now: Began working really well 7-8 weeks in. No more social anxiety, I feel normal walking around & talking to people. Also I sleep better than ever. Overall anxiety level has gone down & I no longer ruminate/worry constantly! Paxil rocks!"

College Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2012

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I don't think Paxil ever worked for me and it always made me feel really bad but I think my social anxiety was a lot better but I feel much better now without Paxil and I'm on Zeldox and Lamictal but I'm getting pretty bad anxiety so I'm trying to find a good medication for anxiety and especially social anxiety because it makes me feel really bad at university. I was on Paxil, Risperdal, Lamictal and Zeldox before and I was always extremely tired and I think I'm less tired now but I can't remember how tired I was before and I was on Paxil when I was 13 and it also made me feel really bad and didn't do anything for my depression and it didn't help. I'm 24 now."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2012

"Helps me with being able to go out without thinking everyone is looking or talking about me, more confident and less hot flushes and palpitations, however all I do is sleep. I'm going to bed about 8 at night and waking up at half 7, almost falling asleep during work. Great for people who can't sleep well but for me I don't want to spend the rest of my life in bed! Also I would advise not to drink alcohol with this, seriously blank outs no matter how much you drink. You don't realize till the next morning that you can't remember a thing which is a horrible experience. Going to try to come off this gradually."

Kayx03 November 17, 2011

"I took Paxil for 5 years following the death of my father. I suppose I've always felt moderately uncomfortable in size able groups and after my dad passed I was also very down in the dumps. Paxil helped immediately and made me way more sociable than ever before. I had confidence to say what I wanted to say and clearer thoughts than I've ever had. I've now been off for 4 months and am struggling again with the same issues. I've tried turning to herbal remedies like rhodiola, St johns wort, 5-HTP, and fish oil. Together they make me feel alright I guess but it's just not the same. If it weren't for the sexual side effects, I wouldn't hesitate to get back on Paxil but I'd like to get my wife pregnant soon so this is not an immediate option."

Joe D. July 22, 2011

"It has really made living life easier for me; but the only downside is that you become so un-shy that you can end up getting yourself into a lot of trouble. You care much less about the usual aspects of life such as school work or deadlines. It basically made me more prone to risky behavior."

Anonymous June 14, 2011

"I developed an acute social anxiety disorder in my early 20's. After trying 10mg of Paxil, my doctor upped the dose to 20mg. I have been taking that dosage for the past 10 years. My social anxiety is much more manageable than it was, although I still have my moments. I hate to increase the dosage, however, because the sexual side effects have been bad for me. Climax is next to impossible unless conditions are perfect, and even then it is a struggle. My sex drive is also down, possibly because of the disappointment the lack of climax creates for me and my wife. Personally, I am happy with the results of Paxil in terms of my social anxiety, but the sexual side effects are rough. Good luck."

Anonymous May 25, 2011

"I have been on Paxil for 10 years now. I maxed out on the dosage at 60mg/day. It served me well and improved my anxiety symptoms. Having gotten married 2 months ago, and anticipating getting pregnant, I began to wean myself off. I went from 60mg/day to 40, then to 20, then 10, and now 5mg/day. Each time I started to feel better and adjusted to the lower dose, I lowered it again. The withdrawals have been awful. I have been so sick for the last several weeks. Nauseous, dizzy, insomnia, "zaps", no appetite, no energy. Now at 5mg/day, I feel better. The withdrawals are now quite tolerable. My next step is 2.5mg/day, then done."

Anonymous May 24, 2011

"I have already made a prior post but I left out one piece of information: The withdrawal is harsh but I found that by taking NeoCitran I felt 100% better and free of the side effects."

Anonymous December 6, 2010

"I was on Paxil CR 25mg for 5 years and 37.5mg for about 1 year. My Doctor and I decided to ween me off due to feeling that it wasn't working as it used to and I didn't want to increase the dose. The weening process went too quickly and I suffered withdrawal symptoms- brain zaps, brain fog, crying, severe mood swings, just to name a few. I also had a rush of emotions that were hidden from being on it. My family and friends said that when I first started taking it, they noticed that I had been withdrawn but they thought that I was happy because my anxiety was gone. "

Anonymous July 13, 2010

"I took Celexa a few years back for my chronic depression. It didn't make me feel so good so after 6 months I went off it, cold turkey, and dealt with the withdrawal symptoms of that drug (zaps!). So when I got offered Paxil for my social anxiety and depression, and heard that there were withdrawal symptoms, I decided that if it helped, I'd try it. In just these few weeks, my friends and I have noticed a huge change. No weight gain, more energy, upbeat and outgoing, smiley and laughing, and optimistic for the first time in...my life? Only downfall I've noticed so far is the crippling nausea and dizziness the first three days of taking the medicine. I feel fantastic now!"

ToxicMoon February 7, 2010

"I also have been living with social anxiety for 7 years. After drinking alcohol to cover my anxiety and depression, my symptoms just got worse. I finally looked into lorazepam but I got a dose of 2 mg and it just knocked me out. Then I got Xanax 0.25mg and that made my face numb and I didn't like to smile, mainly my face felt weird and I was always to tired. Then finally I got 20mg Paxil and it helped right away. I felt like I could do and talk to anyone at anytime. Then I got used to it and jumped to the 30 mg which is doing alright. But the worst part of using this is constipation. I never had constipation before and it hurts so bad. I hope this helps."

Anonymous August 29, 2009