User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Review by OIF Veteran (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on Celexa for a year and it did nothing. I switched to Paxil and it has helped lessen my symptoms. I am on 40mg.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by m.brown (taken for less than 1 month):

Works fast. After 2 hours will make your mind clear. Like you are a different person.

March 27, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by RachRach24:

Took this for almost a year, helped with my panic attacks but made me severely depressed and unstable. DID NOT do well for me. Switched to Zoloft and Abilify and was total 180 turn- should have switched a long time ago.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 1:06 PM

Review by Nhcoffeegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have been on Paxil now for 10 months, I am on a high dose 40mg. However it is working wonders for me. I love how I feel, and my anxiety is a lot lower than it use to be, and I feel like I can operate in a normal fashion be it at work or out in a social situation. The draw back, is do not run out of your prescription, always be on top of it. I ran out of it, and the withdrawal side effects are not fun, for me I got really depressed and crying, and the headaches are horrible. I realize I will be on this prescription for a very long time. But for those who may not be, make sure you listen to your Dr. when getting off of it. It is not fun when not in your system. Again, Love love how I feel..

October 18, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by Cat on Ice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Paxil for PTSD, social anxiety, and depression. It worked wonderfully for me and all my issues. However, I ran out over the weekend and had to wait until Monday to see the doctor and get my prescription filled. The problem with Paxil is it leaves your body in 25 hours. So 25 hours after your last dose TERRIBLE withdrawals kick in. I felt so angry for absolutely no reason. I got ready in the morning and broke my hair dryer, straightener, and brush. While waiting in the doctors office I felt like I was going to scream, cry, or assault random people in the waiting room. So that is what Paxil withdrawal was like for me. None of this is normal for me. When I'm in a low point I usually just feel sad and extremely anxious about being around people.

June 10, 2013 6:25 PM

Review by clrj:

I have taken Paxil 10mg for 6 weeks for chronic post traumatic stress disorder. It has helped a lot already decreased my anxiety about 20%. I'm going to try to go up to 20mg and see how much that works, because my anxiety is still moderately high. The only side effect I got from it is sedation, I can take it and soon after I take it I fall asleep. It has also helped my depression, I can now start to function again. With this Paxil I'm almost out of my depression. I also took Celexa before Paxil and it worked for about a year and that was it, so that's why I'm on Paxil now, and it works 10 times better than Celexa.

April 7, 2013 10:33 PM

I've tried almost all the anxiety medications out there. Paxil and Effexor XR are the only ones that work on me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Review by mwm1998medicaded (taken for 1 to 2 years):

The only medication that stops most of the noise and unnecessary thoughts in my head.

June 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Review by mimikik:

Terrible withdrawal symptoms.

June 20, 2011 12:39 AM

Review by Chuclll:

Works great.

August 26, 2009 4:07 PM

Review by slichtas:

Paxil, not the generic brand is the only antidepressant that's ever worked the best. I have tried dozens of antidepressant's since I lost my husband in an auto accident that we both were in 10 years ago.

June 21, 2009 1:53 PM