User Reviews for Paxil (Page 2)

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

"First antidepressant I tried after my first panic attack (which eventually turned into GAD based depression). This med didn't seem to help at all. Made me super somnolent yet I couldn't sleep without the aid of a benzo. My brain just felt overactive. First time I took it was for about 2 and 1/2 weeks, hated how I felt, got off and was fine. Second time, a few months later, feelings came back. I decided to try this one more time. Again, worse sleep and just made me feel super disconnected and tired all the time. Mind you, I originally tried at night and after no success with sleep, switched to morning. After a month, I stopped it. It wasn't helping at all. Heard this is most sedating of SSRI's but wasn't for me."

Brett84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

"I have been taking Paxil since 2001, when I was in college and age 21. I have always been an anxious person. My anxiety was probably partly biological or genetic and partly learned from my anxious parents. In 2001 my anxiety became very bad. For the first time in my life I was having panic attacks and became agoraphobic. I was hardly eating. I was also suicidal. A doctor at my college put me on 60 mg of Paxil daily and 1 mg of Ativan three times a day. I also began seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist. After about half a year I was able to decrease the Paxil to 50 mg per day and the Ativan to once a day. The combination of Paxil and Ativan saved my life! My anxiety decreased tremendously and I felt so much better!"

AnnieInFlorida (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2015

"The last 10 years of my life have been hell to say the least. I'm a single father to a 10 year old lovely boy. Over the years however I became a complete recluse with major depression and anxiety. I started taking Paxil 25mg and it has returned me to the confident person I was before and am again able to take care of my son. Thank you for giving my life back."

WillWin August 14, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I began taking Paxil for my depression and Anxiety. I started at 10 mg. The first night I took it I had horrible dizziness, headache, sickness, and felt weak. The next night I felt fine. Now it is 3 months later and I feel wonderful! No side effects, and I can get through the day without Anxiety being the focal point. I am now up to 30 mg."

Mr. Michaels August 11, 2015

"Have been on Paroxetine twice. It worked very well both times. Only side effects were increased anxiety at first (went away after a week) and heart palpitations (also went away). Only reason I would recommend trying something else first is because the withdrawals make coming off this drug very difficult."

Peter1990 August 6, 2015

"it does takes away anxiety but with cost of lack in libido and supresses all the feelings....very very hard to get off this med....."

kish9046 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

"I have been on paxil for almost a year now for anxiety. It works most of the time. I do not have hard core panic attack anymore. My only gripe is if I miss a day I have crazy brain fuzz, I seem to eat more, and I do not really care about anything."

Mortimore12 July 7, 2015

"After 10 years on citalopram working brilliantly, it 'pooped' out on me. I was put on sertraline which made me 100 times worse and I felt like I was losing my mind. There were times when I was suicidal which never happened before. After 18 months of trying different medications I decided to try Paxil. I was nervous to be honest but I wanted to feel better than what I was. I have anxiety, depression which led to my OCD, mainly intrusive thoughts which were very distressing. I must say that after 2 weeks I have felt better than what I had done in ages. Still not 100% but it is early days. I know everyone reacts differently to medications but do not be put off by negative reviews, this might be the drug for you. I am so glad that I tried it."

mumofthree (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Anxiety has always been a big part of my life. A younger me was able to treat it with my brain but now that I am 45 I was not able to control my fears of what bad thing will happen next. Being the father of 2 kids including a handicapped little boy plus my wife that doesn't work, she needs to take care of my little boy. My fears of losing my job, car breaking down, my son's medical condition and a bad set of eyes were some of my major worries, all things that were unrealistic and mostly out of my control. Living in fear creates more problems then solutions. I started taking Paxil about two months ago and I will tell you that it helps. I feel normal no more fear and able to deal with life's problems."

Nervous Dad June 1, 2015

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking paroxetine about 5 years ago because I was lasting 2 mins in bed with my gf. I never had that problem before but it was happening all the time. My doctor told me I had anxiety and put me on paroxetine. Since then I have felt great and never looked back. The premature ejaculation went and I felt much better. I had always had negative panicky feelings but just thought it was normal and everyone felt like this but since starting it I have felt great. It can be hard if you just stop the side affects are pretty bad but I am happy to keep on taking it because it works for me....hope this was helpful ;)"

dazzer (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2015

"I used to be a paratrooper but as I aged I developed anxieties that eventually interfered with my daily life. For example I became terrified of flying, driving in winter, or crossing bridges. I got to the point where I would cross a bridge and even though I knew my fears were irrational, I felt like I would pass out when crossing one and would drive many miles to avoid them. I was talking to a total stranger and mentioned my irrational fear of driving in winter and he suggested Paxil. He was a rough neck hunter who developed a fear of climbing tree stands which made him unable to hunt. I figured if it worked for him I should try it! Thank goodness I did! Game Changer! I cross bridges and am amazed I ever feared them!"

Old_Paratrooper_Afraid_To_Fly May 5, 2015

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've taken 10 mg for 5 years for panic disorder, and it has drastically improved my quality of life. I also take 10 mg of Buspar because I did experience a very bad panic attack one year ago. I used to take 20 mgs over 5 years ago for 6 months, but it affected my sexual response. I think so long as you take JUST enough, it can really work."

storey. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 3, 2015

"My first anti-depressant/anxiety. Removed any anxiety 95 times out of 100 but at the cost of no emotions within your daily life, basically a rock."

Pops91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2015

"I am back to live a normal life. Almost 2 years ago got depression and anxiety after my divorce and started taking Cymbalta 60 mg. For one year, but was still having problems with anxiety which is one of the side effects of the medicine. Two weeks ago I started taking Paxil 20 mg at night and I noticed change after a week and today I can say that Paxil gave me my life back. Please if you start new medicine give it time and you will see light at the end of the tunnel."

Beachfront April 1, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug had some terrible side-effects: loss of sex drive, appetite increase (gained 40pds), and I was falling asleep all of the time. I could also drink staggering amounts of alcohol but never feel very drunk. Paxil also made me unemotional to other people's needs - flattening my personality. Best thing I ever did was get off this drug; eventually curing myself of the anxiety that was causing dizzy spells."

Anon88 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2015

"I've been on Paxil 10mg for 18 years, I used to have severe panic attacks and general anxiety disorder. This has helped me live my life, anxiety is a debilitating sickness that interferes with everything you do in life, but only the people who have it can understand that, I recommend it to anyone who has anxiety."

Jesussavior74 March 6, 2015

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Works great for my anxiety. Have experienced some negative side effects such as terrible night sweats and "highs and lows"."

Erica0812 January 19, 2015

"I had my first anxiety attack when my oldest son was 2 years old & ended up in the ER. My doctor prescribed Paxil & it really helped. I've been on it for about 16 years now..even took it when I was pregnant with my second child. The only side effect I've really had is weight gain."

Anonymous January 18, 2015

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Paxil is better than other medicines I have taken for my anxiety by far. But, there are flaws with it. Being forgetful, I forget to take my medicine sometimes, and if I forget, I will get sick due to withdrawal. I am also a very skinny person and a picky eater already, and with taking Paxil, I have an extreme loss of appetite. Eating to me is now a chore and my body will not tell me when I am hungry until I go into shock due to malnutrition. But, all of this is worth it to get rid of my terrible anxiety. It is extremely worth it."

CoreyTheFemale (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Waking up with negative thoughts and anxiety mostly in the morning, most of my life. Due to major problems at work, Dr gave me Zoloft and the like--- all were HORRID. Finally heard about Paxil, got on it, and the days all became sunny, with birds singing outside, even in winter. Was on it (20mg I think) for more than 8 years. The ONLY downside was major loss of sexual interest. Perhaps the dose was too high. Easily weaned off of it 2 years ago, over 1 month, without problems, except that the anxieties are back. At age 70, I may go back on it."

HateDamnRobotText December 24, 2014

"I've been on Paxil for 3 days and I honestly can say I've been sleep mostly. Jaws are clicking. But I feel calm .. I hope it works out for Me. I also started meditations so I've been real spaced out. I can barely live my life with my anxiety. I will definitely post in 2 weeks with my progress."

sassymel (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2014

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for one week, I have mild jaw pain and a bit dizzy but I will take that over the madness I felt a week ago. Suicidal, anxious, crying needless to say I was a mess! I still have a few intrusive thoughts but this is one week and I am grateful I went through 3 medications before finding this one and I am glad to say the least I can get back to being a mother and wife."

Ssimply (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2014

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had been on Paxil for about 2 and a half years but recently I decided to go off of it. I have been off for about 2 months now but have all of a sudden experienced such fear and anxiety. I feel the way I did when I went on the pill, never wanting to leave the house, or go to work. I need to work but it's so hard to get through the day! Now my doctor says I will probably need to be on this my whole life. I gained weight when I was on it to which I didn't like. Do you think I should go back on it, I can't function like this though."

mariashepp September 6, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking Paxil for the past 5 years and it makes me feel great I do not get any anxiety attacks since I started one thing that helps me is the support of my husband and exercise and good eating habits. Theses things assist with living a more richer and happier life. I do not intend on stopping because the good out ways the bad."

trinigirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 11, 2014

183 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I developed an extreme anxiety disorder inside my own home. Every day, my anxiety was at a constant 8/10, and if an 'event' occurred, it would become an anxiety attack (10 /10). I was prescribed Klonopin & fluoxetine (which I'd successfully taken before for depression). This lasted NINE MONTHS. My therapist was giving me useful tools to use to conquer the anxiety, however my symptoms were too high for them to be effective. My prescribing doctor switched me to Paxil/paroxetine and it changed my life. Within 2-3 weeks my constant anxiety leveled out to a 3 or lower and I was better able to use the tools to conquer any spike in anxiety. Paxil helped me to take back control of my life. Anxiety no longer owns me!"

FeelingGreat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2014

215 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next