User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

Review by Brittany B (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I took Paxil for a total of 10 years for anxiety and panic attacks. I was put on it at a young age, but I don't see how I could have gotten through those ten years without it. Paxil is great and works wonders for anxiety, but I didn't want to be on it my whole life. I'm now 20 and doing great without it. I think the medicine gave me a sense of confidence after a while that made me realize I could get through my anxiety on my own. A confidence that helped me find my own coping mechanisms for my anxiety so that I no longer needed to rely on the Paxil anymore. I highly suggest Paxil to anyone with anxiety disorder looking for a medication to help.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 5, 2013 7:10 PM
Review by dc1530: User Rating:

I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road.

February 20, 2013 9:50 AM
Review by sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication.

February 15, 2013 11:37 AM
Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2013 5:46 AM
Review by Hannabanana: User Rating:

It's only been one week since starting Paxil (20mg) and I can honestly say I feel great! I have no side effects. I will post once a week and let you know my progress!!

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 24, 2013 4:11 PM
Review by Summer1989 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I first tried Paxil in 2003, after trying everything and I do mean every antidepressant on the market. I couldn't believe in less than a week I was already feeling relief. My mistake: I kept going on and off of it. It eventually stopped helping. So for 3 years I went on Celexa, which helped less than Paxil but more than others. Recently I began getting severe generalized anxiety dsorder along with my Depression. I finally decided to give the Paxil a try again since so much time had lapsed since I'd been on it. Well...it worked again. Feeling better than I have in a long time. Message: Everybody is different so Paxil won't work for all. But if it does you..STAY ON IT. Don't try the on and off thing. Good Luck!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 31, 2012 4:39 PM
Review by traleen (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Changed my life. Confidence, weight loss, anxiety-free.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 26, 2012 10:53 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Before Paxil I had used multiple medication for anxiety and depression and they would mellow me out but I didn't really feel "better". After starting Paxil I can honestly say I'm the happiest I have been in years and my coping skills are greatly improved. I feel healthy again, my appetite is back to normal, I don't look sickly anymore and I can sleep. Paxil was the miracle for me.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 25, 2012 3:58 PM
Review by jrbogey (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have had anxiety for approximately 30 years and have been on Paxil for about 10. What a difference it has made in my life. I would recommend this medicine to anyone who is suffering from Anxiety. I also suffer from panic disorder and just carrying Xanax with me has helped alleviate my attacks. Only have to take it once in awhile now....Also...working out more has really helped with stress and a great preventative and with a little of the weight gain from Paxil. Take care.

May 22, 2012 3:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil helped me a great deal. Took around 6 weeks to work but well worth the wait. I feel like a new person, highly recommended.

April 6, 2012 10:04 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil worked absolute wonders for me for six years until 'pooping out' last year. After a disastrous few months on Zoloft I returned to paroxetine which again has made me 'return' to my old self. My alcohol increase (due to work issues) was almost certainly the cause for the medicine becoming ineffective and my return to anxiety and depression. Many reviews claim SSRI's don't work as well the 2nd time which is slightly true. I feel normal again without the 'serotonin high' I had first time around. Paxil/paroxetine is a miracle for me and though it has killed my sex drive and gained my weight slightly I cannot imagine life without.

April 3, 2012 4:46 PM
Review by fthtshy: User Rating:

This medicine made me emotionless. For the first couple of months I was fine and now I can't be happy when I want to or sad when I want to. I also have no sex drive. I'm on Paxil for anxiety, but because it works as a mood stabilizer as well it took away my personality.

March 31, 2012 7:17 PM
Review by slyla: User Rating:

I've been on it for a few days now in an attempt to get off Zoloft. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety as a result of PMDD. Today I took a very low dose while tapering off Zoloft and its not pleasurable at all. I'm nauseous, extreme dry mouth and severe anxiety. I work with the public and felt so jittery that I couldn't work. I am willing to tough it out with some support and compassion from my family, friends and co-workers but I don't like feeling like something is controlling my ability to function. I really hope it improves.

March 10, 2012 6:30 PM
Review by JanR37: User Rating:

I have had a chronic depression since I was about 2 years old. Paxil lifted the feelings of always walking around in depression and changed them to a normal level of feelings and emotions! Who could ask for more?

January 29, 2012 1:38 PM
Review by Jb1997:

Paxil is wonderful I am 14 years old and have anxiety and deppresion. This month has been wonderful but I have to get a higher dose of Paxil because my body got use to it. It made me feel like I was normal but the begging side effects were tiredness. Felt like I was on a boat, hard to breath and blured vision. But after 2 weeks my body to got used to it, I feel like a new person.

January 25, 2012 6:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paroxetine worked absolute wonders for me when I first started the paroxetine 6 years ago. My mood elevated so high to the point of work colleagues questioning my 'nightclub activities'. The 'serotonin high' also made me aggressively confident and involved a few flashpoints including a physical fight- my first for 15 years. While it worked it was GREAT. However, it lost it's efficacy suddenly a few months ago and I was prescribed sertraline/Zoloft which was a disaster. Headaches, Nausea and insomnia was my bodies reaction to this medicine. Have now been put on citalopram and hoping this will be effective. My doctor suggested I may try paroxetine again if I don't respond to citalopram.

January 11, 2012 4:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and have been taking Paxil for about 3 months. When I first began the medication I completely lost my appetite. I dropped 10 pounds within the first 2 weeks without even trying. After about a month it leveled back out. However, even after 3 months I still don't sleep well on it. It has also taken a toll on my sex drive. I'm in the process of quitting Paxil to try something new. You do not want to quit this medication suddenly. You will experience terrible withdrawal symptoms. Even though I am quitting gradually they are still quite intense.

November 21, 2011 12:28 AM
Review by Freed: User Rating:

I have been on it for almost nine years now. I started having anxiety about 10 years before then and I struggled through almost anything I set to do. Since my doctor put me on paroxetine, I've been myself again. Totally calm. Can't believe I didn't get to know about it earlier. It's a God send.

October 30, 2011 4:19 PM
Review by JMcTavish: User Rating:

Paxil worked very well for my anxiety. I used to not be able to function in a crowded room but now I am fine. I find that it also gives me sturdy thick erections which I never used to have.

October 14, 2011 8:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

I took this medication for 7 years on and off. I would always try to taper off and be free of it but I always ended up going back to the point that I NEEDED it. I had side effects of being sleepy constantly, and gaining 30 lbs. But I did feel better overall. I've been off of it for a year now and debating going back on it.

October 3, 2011 2:50 AM
Review by mrsdracomalfoy: User Rating:

I took Paxil for nearly 9 months and it seemed to cure all my ailments. I didn't realize how many things were attributed to my anxiety including, chest pains, nausea, headaches, etc. I really felt great (after a week or so of insomnia which is a common side-effect). I recently stopped taking Paxil since I was feeling so great. That is really tough. I had awful dizziness (but again this is to be expected) for about 10 days. Several weeks later I am realizing I felt much better on Paxil and am thinking of returning to it.

August 30, 2011 2:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Has helped me tremendously with anxiety and depression for almost a decade. Don't recall any side effects though. Start on a low dose and always taper it down slowly when going off of it or you will feel crazy!

August 29, 2011 11:48 AM
Review by Daycareprovidingmomof2: User Rating:

On day one, I noticed a calmness come about me. Now I'm on day 6 of 20 mg and still calm but, not emotionless. I love that I'm not quick to anger anymore. I am having minor panic attacks however. The doctor said it may take a full 6 weeks to feel the full effects. I was having serious panic attacks at night in my sleep and those have gone away. I keep clenching my jaw, that started on day 2. I am really tired like I've taken a Benadryl and I have to nap or I wont make it to bedtime. I am enjoying life much more though and I'm seeing all of the things I missed because I couldn't relax or enjoy the moment. I have two months of pills and then the doctor wants to see me so hopefully shes not going to pull me off. I feel like a new woman.

August 18, 2011 10:06 AM
Review by JSSR: User Rating:

I have been on Paxil for 10 years with no side effects. Great to relieve anxiety and depression. I recently had to take predisone and it has thrown everything out of whack. The doctor increased my Paxil by 10 MG. Been on the increased dose for 16 days and have not seen a great improvement. I hope and pray it kicks in soon this raises my dose to 30 MG from 20 that I was on for all those years.

August 3, 2011 12:13 PM
Review by ballsy: User Rating:

I took this medicine in college and it really did help with the incessant worrying. However, it made me a careless pleasure seeker who engaged in risky and unproductive behavior. Needless to say I received a 0.0 GPA the one semester I took it. I did enjoy my time however and still have fond memories but know now that I have too many lazy tendencies to take this medicine.

July 30, 2011 4:30 PM