Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 101 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

Review by Punkey:

I felt so much less anxious initially, so foolishly, and with doctors encouragement, I stayed on Paxil for 3-4 years. Two months ago, I started to ween myself off this medicine very slowly. I have never felt so bad in my 72 years of life. At first, I felt it must be the flu though I'd had a flu shot in November of last year (13). The withdrawal symptoms of nausea, vomiting, hot flashes. Not thinking clearly, fatigue, extremely vivid and frightening dreams, dizziness, and depression lasted 5-6 days. My doctor recommended that I go back on Paxil at half a tablet initially, and then a whole tablet after a week. So it has been two weeks now of my taking a 40mg. Dose each evening. I tried documenting my terrible experience.

January 31, 2014 12:22 PM

Review by Happy on tennessee:

I started Paxil 37.5 mg ER. 2 weeks ago! I have never felt this good.

January 29, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by Pebzz:

My journey started around 17yrs ago when pregnant I suffered an episode and was put in hospital as my son was due, they gave me 150mg straight off of clomipramine, you can imagine how comatosed I was. Over the next few years I had many crashes on this drug, then about 7 years ago a dr prescribed Paxil, best thing could ever have happened, the positives out weigh the negatives with the side effects, I'm on 15mg would love to reduce again one day, but I'm happy to be stable and of sound mind.

January 20, 2014 4:32 AM

Review by Whalla (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Paxil for two weeks and so far nothing. I take 10 mg in morning and another 12 hours later. I hope it kicks in soon. My anxiety has topped out causing my depression to increase. I have lost my appetite, lost 14 lbs. Seeing a psychologist in a week. I'm a mess.

January 3, 2014 3:34 PM

Review by cranky1234 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil is good medication when it kicks in, side effects for me are nausea, upset stomach but with time it goes away.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2013 8:41 AM

Review by IrishKat:

Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2013 7:56 AM

Review by Jamielynn84:

This is my second time taking Paxil. For me, it is the only medication that has been effective in treating my anxiety. I've taken just about every medication for anxiety over the past 10 years. In my early 20s, I took Paxil for about 6 months and experienced sexual side effects but only gained about 5lbs. It was horrible to come off of Paxil and I experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea. I am currently 29 and I started taking Paxil again about 5 months ago due to increased anxiety. While it has been effective in helping me to lead a normal life with minimal anxiety, it has caused horrible weight gain. I gained 15lbs in the past 3 months which is a lot for my petite frame at 5.1'. Due to the weight gain I am currently attempting stop

November 17, 2013 5:24 PM

Review by bryan johnson (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me. Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I%u2019m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, I'm a new person.

November 12, 2013 7:46 AM

Review by jbat2007 (taken for less than 1 month):

My body was wrecked with anxiety and depression. I thought I was going to lose my mind .Five days days on paxil and I'm a new person

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2013 10:37 PM

Review by anxious11111:

Had severe panic attacks and agoraphobia out of nowhere. P doc put me on paxil. Really rough start up symptoms. Dizzy, SUPER spacey, lethargic, bad sweats. After a week or two at 30 mg I stabilized. Anxiety was a bit better, but still pretty bad. Eventually went off it because I was so lethargic and spacey. Felt depressed because I was such a zombie and didn't get excited or wanted to do anything.

November 1, 2013 8:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have taken Paxil for years, my insurance company stopped paying for it, and the pharmacy put me on the generic, the worst thing that could have happened in three days I was an hysterical wreck (I was taking the generic). I started thinking of suicide. Someone else pointed out above something very important, if you miss a couple of days the side effects (withdrawal) is awful, I was never so sick in my life. If you can take the generic, great otherwise it is very very expensive, and NEVER forget to take it.

October 15, 2013 3:44 PM

I have been on Paxil for 16 years now. I have always been really anxious throughout my life and it came to the point where it was affecting everything I did. Paxil has changed my life for the better and has really worked well for me. I plan on staying on it.

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2013 12:12 PM

Review by dc1530 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am trying to increase my Paxil dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg. I started in February and it still hasn't kicked in. Doctor gave me Clonazapem 3-1/2 months ago and it helped, but I stopped cold turkey per the doctor and I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects since then. Hopefully, Paxil will fully take effect soon. Each day is a struggle and it has wore me down waiting on the Paxil. I don't intend on taking any new medications if I can help it.

June 3, 2013 11:21 AM

Review by Brandi Mae:

Paxil has been very helpful with my anxiety, I'm not so tired and am much happier. The only bad thing I have to say about it is if you miss 2 days or more of it- it has the worst side effects I requested a refill to late (so it was my own fault) but I got shocking feelings in my head and finger tips I was light headed all the time and there were a few day I would wake up from a nights sleep and automatically start crying for no reason. I'm still on it and intend on still using it. Just make sure there's no room for cold turkey off of Paxil

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 16, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by Some guy:

I started Paxil last week. First pills I've taken my whole life, I'm 24. It appears to be working. The 5th day I felt really up beat and good! So far I'm satisfied. No panic, anxiety or depression.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2013 1:14 AM

Review by Haley22:

Paxil has helped me out immensely. At first I was really scared to try it because I was reading tons of bad experiences online, but then I decided I needed to do it. Well when I first started it I had a few side effects like the speedy feelings, the restlessness, the lack of appetite, and lack of sex drive and orgasm. Now I have been on them for 2 months and it is working out so great! I have not had any really bad side effects, and the ones that were there when I first started taking it are gone. This medicine has made my life so much more bearable and worked out great for me!

153 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2013 6:26 PM

Review by Hope4u (taken for 1 to 6 months):

About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there!

169 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2013 9:05 PM

Review by Yell (taken for less than 1 month):

I started Paxil 1 week ago and I have only had one little attack. It has given me more energy for work! But I do find myself going home after work and taking a nap! The only bad thing about it so far is I'm clenching my jaw a lot causing my back teeth to hurt and can't really chew that well, may be why I am losing weight also! But it has made my life a lot easier so far! From before I'd have to miss work because of my anxiety!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Hello again everyone! I have been on Paxil now for 9 weeks and it has still been a very beneficial addition to my life. I've started to feel like the real me now. I don't feel subdued or Zombied out like some people report. I started on 10mg then my Dr. moved me to 20mg about 2 weeks ago. The only main side effect I've had in transitioning to the higher dosage was severe mania for the first couple of days. It wore off significantly as the days passed. As for the weight gain that "Paxil causes", I think it's just that I'm not so anxious to the point of nausea and disgust in food. I love eating and enjoy my food again! My biggest positive in Paxil is that my generalized anxiety is SEVERELY reduced. Panic attacks are down 85% and I feel great!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by wiscarpau:

I've been taking 20 mg Paxil for about 11 years now for anxiety, and though it makes me calmer it has several side effects that I don't like. 1. Decreased libido/decreased orgasm 2. Constipation 3. Decreased energy. A friend of mine also told me I seem more "delayed" after I've been taking it regularly. Sometimes I take half a pill or skip days when I feel I need to get more things done, or I want my boyfriend to be happy. But I notice if I skip it for more than 3 days in a row I feel "crazy" and hyper and scattered. I definitely get more irritable when I'm not on it, but I "feel" more emotionally and notice I dance more often in the kitchen with my daughter when not under Paxil's control.

March 26, 2013 12:35 AM

Review by Amy3413:

Paxil saved me from panic attacks and anxiety. It has worked for me for years. I would definitely recommend.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Brittany B (taken for 10 years or more):

I took Paxil for a total of 10 years for anxiety and panic attacks. I was put on it at a young age, but I don't see how I could have gotten through those ten years without it. Paxil is great and works wonders for anxiety, but I didn't want to be on it my whole life. I'm now 20 and doing great without it. I think the medicine gave me a sense of confidence after a while that made me realize I could get through my anxiety on my own. A confidence that helped me find my own coping mechanisms for my anxiety so that I no longer needed to rely on the Paxil anymore. I highly suggest Paxil to anyone with anxiety disorder looking for a medication to help.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 5, 2013 7:10 PM

Review by dc1530:

I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road.

February 20, 2013 9:50 AM

Review by sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication.

February 15, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!

February 2, 2013 5:46 AM