User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety

"Paxil has become my latest drug to combat frontal traumatic brain injury (tbi). benzo drugs works good. but they thought they were addicting. well just look up all the people that have tried to quit paxil!!!. Its a nightmare. In my opinion these drugs should be banned to treat people with TBI!!!. If you want to take a drug and later it quits working, what are you going to do? good luck because TBI sucks and there is nothing besides benzo drugs that help. I have had mild TBI for 36 years. Don't let them get you on paxil. I think its bad but don't believe only me - look on the iternet before you take them. I sure wish i did!!!. Good luck its the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. "

miltary January 31, 2016

"Started 20mg of paxil 3 weeks ago after coming of effexor. At the moment I get a lot of anxiety throughout the day & sweating. Hope this starts to go soon as its still very early days."

minnie58 January 31, 2016

"I took it for a week and could fall asleep at the drop of a hat...and I couldn't afford to being like that. If you had to work all day all week and sometimes be up during the night. Paxil may work for some, but made me WAY to drowsy. My psychiatrist switched me over to 100mg Zoloft and while that was somewhat better, she also put me on a 150mg Wellbutrin (zoloft Wellbutrin commonly called "Welloft"). Paxil was no good to me and quite possibly the worst to get off of."

OCD+GAD+PDD (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

"This medication has been extremely helpful to me. 7 months ago, I developed IBS, which made me very nervous about my stomach. I slowly became nervous about everything, not knowing that my anxiety was more than just " little worries." I was afraid to go to important events, thinking something bad could suddenly happen to me all the time. My mother was noticing these changes in my personality, so then made me go to a therapist. That was when I was suggested to be put on Paxil. I was afraid to take Paxil, but when I was finally forced to, I noticed changes within a week with just 5mg. I moved up to 10mg, and everyone could see changes in how I acted everywhere. I am currently still on 10mg, but even a little can do a lot, even for you!"

KA2353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I have tried most SSRIs and some SNRIs. Paxil was indeed the most effective for me with my anxiety symptoms. By now you have probably read the horror stories on the internet about coming off of it. Indeed this happened to me. It was horrible. I went off of it because I thought I was better and ended up off of work because my symptoms got so bad. This was because I was being followed by a GP who did not know about discontinuation syndrome (early 2000s). However, I wouldn't write this drug off necessarily. After the discontinuation hell I experienced I was referred to a psychiatrist who used the taper to Prozac method to get me off of Paxil.This method worked for me. Hope this may help someone to know about it."

upatreereadingabook (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

"Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

"Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

"I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

"This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015

"This medication has worked for me for over five years. I started taking it for anxiety but it has also helped me with my extreme shyness. It throws a wet blanket over your emotions. It does reduce both the highs and lows and evens out your emotions."

Bbelement November 22, 2015

"I took this about 3 years ago for a massive mental breakdown I was having panic attacks multiple times a day I couldn't get out of bed I couldn't leave the house I couldn't eat I couldn't do anything I was prescribed this and ativan and eventually after probably a month of horrid horrible experience I started to come out of my anxiety depression all of it I came off of the drug probably a couple months later and was completely fine for about 2 years with just normal anxiety that I could manage. I tried it again a couple weeks ago for the same reason and it was hell was suicidal within the first 3 days in every side effect I can think of I discontinued immediately now looking for something else "

Arielle828ddss? November 18, 2015

"My physician prescribed me 20mg of paxil daily when I saw her for anxiety/depression. The first couple of days I had trouble sleeping and had a lot of energy, but no anxiety. This drug definitely reduced my anxiety and I felt more sociable, but after a month or so I noticed that I couldn't focus and I started to lose motivation to do anything and had no energy. I felt more depressed than before I had started the medication, and on my days off from work I would end up sleeping all day. Quit cold turkey whike taking 5-htp and experienced the brain zaps for a couple days, but now I feel like myself again. I can't recommend this med. I think exercise and good diet are more effective at improving my mood."

Romy333 November 16, 2015

""I have GAD, and after three years of taking care of my younger brother who has severe GAD as well as going through an episode of pyschosis, I was told by my pdoc that I have "caregiver's burnout". I was prescribed 20 mgs of Paxil every day and 15mg of Buspirone (Buspar) twice a day. It has been nearly a month now on these meds and I do see an improvement. I'm not sure which one is helping me more but my anxiety level has gone from an 8 or 9 every day to about a 5. I hope to see continued improvement.""

JTChase November 6, 2015

"I am on Paxil for 10 years and I can't live without it"

Phurriz November 3, 2015

"Worked great for anxiety. I was calling 911 thinking I was dying that's how bad it was. I tried a bunch of SSRI's. Paxil suppressed all my feelings which took the anxiety away. But made me impotent Not a good result for me."

Ericlh100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

"I was givin paxil by my doctor, and It works wonders. It is rare that I even feel most anxiety, and I haven't had an attack in months. I've been on it a couple years and have yet to feel it stop working. BUT, do not take this if you aren't willing to have a long time commitment with it. One thing the doctor won't tell you about straight up is the withdrawal. I've tried to come off of paxil, out of frustration mostly at the withdrawal effects, and all I can describe it as is a living hell. Confusion blurred vision, brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, depression, increased anxiety, etc. Not for the faint of heart. If you can, go with something else."

Linds mcc October 14, 2015

"I've been taking Paxil for 8 days and have been experiencing horrific nightmares gettin worse each night. I'm done with this script for sure"

Ave2468 October 10, 2015

"First antidepressant I tried after my first panic attack (which eventually turned into GAD based depression). This med didn't seem to help at all. Made me super somnolent yet I couldn't sleep without the aid of a benzo. My brain just felt overactive. First time I took it was for about 2 and 1/2 weeks, hated how I felt, got off and was fine. Second time, a few months later, feelings came back. I decided to try this one more time. Again, worse sleep and just made me feel super disconnected and tired all the time. Mind you, I originally tried at night and after no success with sleep, switched to morning. After a month, I stopped it. It wasn't helping at all. Heard this is most sedating of SSRI's but wasn't for me."

Brett84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

"I have been taking Paxil since 2001, when I was in college and age 21. I have always been an anxious person. My anxiety was probably partly biological or genetic and partly learned from my anxious parents. In 2001 my anxiety became very bad. For the first time in my life I was having panic attacks and became agoraphobic. I was hardly eating. I was also suicidal. A doctor at my college put me on 60 mg of Paxil daily and 1 mg of Ativan three times a day. I also began seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist. After about half a year I was able to decrease the Paxil to 50 mg per day and the Ativan to once a day. The combination of Paxil and Ativan saved my life! My anxiety decreased tremendously and I felt so much better!"

AnnieInFlorida (taken for 10 years or more) September 10, 2015

"The last 10 years of my life have been hell to say the least. I'm a single father to a 10 year old lovely boy. Over the years however I became a complete recluse with major depression and anxiety. I started taking Paxil 25mg and it has returned me to the confident person I was before and am again able to take care of my son. Thank you for giving my life back."

WillWin August 14, 2015

"I began taking Paxil for my depression and Anxiety. I started at 10 mg. The first night I took it I had horrible dizziness, headache, sickness, and felt weak. The next night I felt fine. Now it is 3 months later and I feel wonderful! No side effects, and I can get through the day without Anxiety being the focal point. I am now up to 30 mg."

Mr. Michaels August 11, 2015

"Have been on Paroxetine twice. It worked very well both times. Only side effects were increased anxiety at first (went away after a week) and heart palpitations (also went away). Only reason I would recommend trying something else first is because the withdrawals make coming off this drug very difficult."

Peter1990 August 6, 2015

"it does takes away anxiety but with cost of lack in libido and supresses all the feelings....very very hard to get off this med....."

kish9046 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

"I have been on paxil for almost a year now for anxiety. It works most of the time. I do not have hard core panic attack anymore. My only gripe is if I miss a day I have crazy brain fuzz, I seem to eat more, and I do not really care about anything."

Mortimore12 July 7, 2015

"After 10 years on citalopram working brilliantly, it 'pooped' out on me. I was put on sertraline which made me 100 times worse and I felt like I was losing my mind. There were times when I was suicidal which never happened before. After 18 months of trying different medications I decided to try Paxil. I was nervous to be honest but I wanted to feel better than what I was. I have anxiety, depression which led to my OCD, mainly intrusive thoughts which were very distressing. I must say that after 2 weeks I have felt better than what I had done in ages. Still not 100% but it is early days. I know everyone reacts differently to medications but do not be put off by negative reviews, this might be the drug for you. I am so glad that I tried it."

mumofthree (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next