Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by Ss868 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on this medicine for a week and a half now and I have regained my life back! The first 4 days on it are hell, but if you just hold on through it, you will notice a world of difference. I can wake up in the mornings feeling like my old self again and go through the day without feeling scared or hyped up. I would definitely recommend it.

March 25, 2015 7:57 AM

Review by Ashleyyy:

I love Paxil but I have to say I have pur on weight being on it and I have the most horrible vivid nightmares where I can't wakeup. I think it works great for anxiety but I think maybe this medicine has stopped working because I've been on it so long it has improved my life for the better but I'm thinking of changing now cause it just doesn't do the same for me anymore.

January 6, 2015 8:28 PM

Review by EmilyN19:

There is a lot of other reviews that I have read that sums a lot of it up. Yes, you will most likely experience yawning, nausea, and headaches at first. It does go away! At first I also noticed a change in my sex life. I could still get in the mood but found it near impossible to orgasm. Also, with sleep, I did feel tired for a bit, but I think it was because I experienced trouble sleeping at first. I found some things that helped fix some of this: I went from 20mg to 10mg a day. I took it right after breakfast. This one is important! Exercise! I started running again and I found that it had an extremely positive effect and it went well with the medication. A lot of the jitters I got at first went away, it helped me sleep better, and more!

December 28, 2014 10:51 PM

Review by Fluffybunny:

Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2014 10:02 PM

Review by msdeby (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Paxil for several years. It helps in so many ways. To those that get sleepy ... try taking it at bedtime.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 4:51 PM

Review by Jpat:

I started Paxil 6 days ago. I get married next month and my job switched me to sales. I couldn't take the stress- I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, to find out it was anxiety. I've had chest pains, palpitations, obsessive nail biting and chewing. I couldn't take it any more. I've used 3 vacation days up just because of anxiety. Also I'm a 27 years old. Since I've started Paxil I've had a lot of side effects that I didn't associate with the medicine right away. I have trouble urinating even when I have to go badly. I've had short term memory loss like forgetting my work number, I feel hungover and dizzy, blurred vision, shakes, nausea, and inability to reach orgasm.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 22, 2013 9:58 PM

Review by Sammy3217:

I finally feel like I'm balanced now that I have been taking Paxil. Life before Paxil was not life. I have suffered from anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 8. I didn't start Paxil until I was 34 because of a divorce, but it truly has cured me. I no longer feel anxious, depressed, and the racing thoughts have diminished. I feel normal and rational. I do get very sleepy though while on Paxil, and I have found exercise to help combat that side effect. I don't know how my life would've turned out if I had been on this medicine a long time ago. I owe my life to this medicine.

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2013 11:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had anxiety with panic attacks since 10 years ago, treated with Xanax as needed. When my father got ill the stress level was so high Xanax was not working well. Paxil 5mg daily changed my life and no side effects. After 1 year in 10 mg works better.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2013 9:39 PM

Review by Tikitalons (taken for less than 1 month):

I've been through several medicines including Abilify, Zoloft, clonazepam, Seroquel, Ativan, and several others. and this medicine it the most wonderful of all of them. With Paxil I feel so calm and just even toned. Is it possible something actually can work. I'm thinking genius! I can't thank you enough.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2013 12:31 AM

Review by Hells Bells (taken for 5 to 10 years):

The first few days were hard for me, very groggy and giggly, and my husband says I was totally useless but I was smiling, and then the fog lifted. It doesn't make the problems in your life magically vanish, but instead of freaking out over everything, I now only get upset when a "normal" person would, I now have healthy natural reactions to things. I can deal with my problems. I don't see problems in everything, everywhere. Aropax changed not only my life drastically but the lives of everyone who cares about me.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

Review by paxil10yrs (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been taking this for not only general anxiety but also for social anxiety, panic, and depression. My head must have needed this because I noticed a euphoric feeling after taking my first 10mg dose; within 15 minutes. Of course it won't get rid of the problems that plague you. But on a strictly how your head feels basis, for me this is a great medicine. I can relate to horror stories as I experienced those with Zoloft. Paxil makes me a little more comfortable in social settings and improves the quality of life in general. I'm a guy and it does diminish libido but I have managed to accept that.

April 27, 2013 5:46 PM

Review by trishlm:

I was able to cope with people better and it eased me from flying off the handle. The downfall was when I owed my Dr money and she refused to refill. The withdrawal is terrible and now I am back to the anger issue.

March 22, 2013 1:46 AM

Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me.

March 5, 2013 8:29 PM

Had terrible dreams like they were actually real. Felt like I was in a cloud all the time

November 1, 2012 11:16 AM

Have had problems with social anxiety since I was a teenager and I must say after trying Paxil, Seroquel, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Paxil is by far the best. Only big catch is don't miss a dose you will have a panic attack.

March 27, 2012 3:49 PM

Review by iknowuraliar:

Been on Paxil almost 2 years. Been taking it in the morning the whole time. Have to take a 2 hour nap everyday round lunch time. I'm switching to night time to see if it helps. I gained 50lbs and I'm emotionless, however I like that because I'm no longer screaming at my kids about every little thing and never cry like I use too. Had a hard time reaching orgasm the first few months, but side effect does pass. I take 20mg and when I feel myself fixing to have a fit I take an extra 10mg. I love my Paxil, just hate the tiredness and weight gain. Highly recommended.

February 9, 2012 6:14 AM

I suffered with a pretty severe anxiety, stress and depression. Took Paxil 4 days ago and honestly I feel great. It already started working. Lot of it could be in my head but trust me all my symptoms disappeared. Side effects: from day one I had a light headache, day two -a little harder headache, day three unbearable headache, day four(now) no headache, feeling perfectly fine, great mood, even though its raining and dark outside. GREAT medicine. Also its worth to add, it worked the same wonders for me about 8 years ago when I had it for the last time. I was on Paxil for 6 months and it healed me. I had 7 years of great life and suddenly 6-7 months ago this thing attacked me again. Paxil works again, same way.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2011 3:11 PM

Review by Love it and hate it:

I have been on Paxil a little over a month now. Before I started taking it I had terrible anxiety, stress and depression. Since I've been taking it I've felt happy and stress free. The only problem I've had is that it can work a little too well. My grandpa went into hospice care and we knew he would die but I was still happy and stress free. I ran out of my Paxil and that's when it hit me that he's dying, then he died and I reacted as I should have, sad/depressed. I refilled my prescription its been less than 2 days since he died. While it is great I feel so much better, I wish I could feel the sadness I should be feeling.

September 17, 2011 11:42 AM

Review by Ash00000:

Generalized anxiety disorder - 22 year old male. Paxil did help with my anxiety however, it made things seem more dull. The things I used to enjoy became boring. I stopped taking it after 2 months. I'm now starting Effexor XR. No other side effects.

August 1, 2011 11:58 AM

Review by smallworldlover:

I was on Paxil since I was 16. I didn't know how good it was until I went off of it 16 years later. Major panic attacks and life felt like it was not worth living! Tried other SSRI's which didn't work and made me feel worse! (Zoloft and Pristiq were the worst!) Going back to Paxil. Never should have quit it in the first place! I hope to get the joy I once had back!

May 13, 2011 8:41 PM

Seems that the side effects from the Paxil were worse than the stress or anxiety.

April 2, 2011 6:53 AM

Review by Lefty Loveless:

Within a week or two of taking a low dose of Paxil I experienced constant migraines (never have had a problem with headaches before), extreme fatigue, and constipation. My doctor switched me to Zoloft after a month on Paxil and I feel much better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2011 6:52 PM

Review by concerned1111:

Increased mine & my childrens anxiety to the point we were violent with one another. I ended up on the pshyc ward and lost my home. I was a single mom of three with a 40 hour week job. Was the 3rd anti-depressant we tried.

March 7, 2011 11:21 AM

Review by jj137:

I have taken Paxil on and off for about five years. I started to take it after suffering from overwhelming anxiety and panic around the time that my marriage fell apart. My GP put me on this medicine instead of Xanax (which was working) because it was not addictive, etc. And indeed, taking Paxil most decidedly reduces my anxiety and gives me a better quality of life. I stopped taking it about a year ago, and have noticed an exponential growth in stress the last few months. I've decided to start taking it again, and was doing some online reading when I came across this site. And so I decided to put my two cents in the bucket.

March 5, 2011 9:09 PM

Review by diphenman:

1st week: Paxil worked for my depression and anxiety instantly which is out of the norm. I was nauseous all the time and experienced yawning quite frequently, this went away as time went on. Paxil had an almost euphoric feel for me, I was laughing at everything and enjoying life. 1st month: Yawning still exists, euphoria has worn off as well as any anti-depressant effect. However still for works for anxiety. 3rd month and beyond: Outside of excessive sleeping and somewhat fatigue feeling Paxil is awesome for anxiety, but the antidepressant effect wore off rather quickly for me. Recommend for anxiety, not recommended for depression.

January 9, 2011 5:39 AM