User Reviews for Paxil

Learn more about Paxil.

Paxil Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Paxil to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I suffer from anxiety daily and mild depression. I was on Paxil for 2 years and thought I was okay to get off it, 2 months later I fell hard into depression and anxiety and recently went back on it and waiting for it to kick in again. This medicine is a life saver for sure. Don't give up on it in a few days. You have to let it kick in. Hopefully it'll kick in soon for me! On it I had no anxiety and I suffered daily before it, had no depression. Good luck :)"

Mattyts July 19, 2015

"I had a rough childhood. Growing up, I tried to stay positive and press on. As an adult anxiety became overwhelming to the point where everything started to stress me out. This happen ed to me around 29 and I dealt with it until 31. I had been grinding my teeth and clenching my jaws as a reaction to stress, causing damage to my teeth...about $7,000 worth. My dentist said I had to do something about stress if I wanted to have any teeth left in my mouth. I saw a dr and was diagnosed with anxiety, ocd & ptsd. Ive taken paxil for almost 2 weeks and am relieved of anxiety but feel pretty spaced out and numb right now. Motivation is lacking as well and im nautious on and off. Im hoping these side effects subside"

Jenn Bee July 8, 2015

"I had had a headache 24 hours a day seven days a week for a little over 4 months. I saw a neurologist who told me that it was tension causing my headaches and that it was all in my head. He put me on Paxil and it was without exception the single worst experience of my life. I had never been depressed before, never been diagnosed with anxiety, nothing to suggest any mental health issues whatsoever, and I was prescribed Paxil. This drug nearly killed me. As I said, no history of mental illness or suicidal thoughts in my entire life and when I was put on this drug it made me feel suicidal. I felt like I was better off dead than alive. I was only 15 years old at the time, I'm now 16.I don't think you should take this if you are under 18 years old! "

DWheeler123456 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2015

"This was prescribed for anxiety. I had recently been diagnosed with several sleep related issues as well as my asthma increasing. I have a long standing problem with recurrent bouts of depression which I treat when they are present. I have a history of antidepressants causing an increase of depression. Since beginning Paxil as directed by my doctor two months ago at10 mg daily, I have noticed a gradual increase of both my depressive episodes as well as my headaches... I do have a history of migraines for 20 years due to a head injury."

Pammus May 20, 2015

"At first, I was a little bit afraid to try Paxil after reading some reviews but I thought to myself anything has to be better than the daily stress and anxiety that I was dealing with. I've been on it for a month and I can absolutely say it's been a life changing experience! I no longer have daily panic attacks and I can go out in public without a care! Before Paxil, I struggled in public situations. I would often feel anxiety and if everyone was staring and judging me. But now I don't even think about it. I just go on with my business and enjoy my days! If you're struggling with daily panic attacks and anxiety like I was, I highly recommend at least giving it a try!"

jlynnej April 27, 2015

"I have been on this medicine for a week and a half now and I have regained my life back! The first 4 days on it are hell, but if you just hold on through it, you will notice a world of difference. I can wake up in the mornings feeling like my old self again and go through the day without feeling scared or hyped up. I would definitely recommend it."

Ss868 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

"I have been on Paxil for 18 years now. Within the last seven years I have developed severe muscle tightness. I go to massage Thearapist and chiropractor every two weeks... This helps sometimes other times I'm still in pain. I'm going to see a rheumatologist next week who thinks it's I might have an immune disorder since I was just diagnosed with raynauds in my toes. Paxil has helped my anxiety but sometimes I feel like I have no emotions and don't react to things that I should be. Which is good and bad. Take care of yourself if you're not feeling well see if a different medication works are different alternatives!! It just took me 18 years."

Sore girl :/ March 17, 2015

"I love Paxil but I have to say I have pur on weight being on it and I have the most horrible vivid nightmares where I can't wakeup. I think it works great for anxiety but I think maybe this medicine has stopped working because I've been on it so long it has improved my life for the better but I'm thinking of changing now cause it just doesn't do the same for me anymore."

Ashleyyy January 6, 2015

"There is a lot of other reviews that I have read that sums a lot of it up. Yes, you will most likely experience yawning, nausea, and headaches at first. It does go away! At first I also noticed a change in my sex life. I could still get in the mood but found it near impossible to orgasm. Also, with sleep, I did feel tired for a bit, but I think it was because I experienced trouble sleeping at first. I found some things that helped fix some of this: I went from 20mg to 10mg a day. I took it right after breakfast. This one is important! Exercise! I started running again and I found that it had an extremely positive effect and it went well with the medication. A lot of the jitters I got at first went away, it helped me sleep better, and more!"

EmilyN19 December 28, 2014

"Paxil has worked wonderfully for me. I now have a life due to it. I no longer feel like I'm being attacked by the world, so I no longer attack back. I finally have a life and I am finally happy with myself as well."

Fluffybunny January 16, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Paxil for several years. It helps in so many ways. To those that get sleepy ... try taking it at bedtime."

msdeby (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started Paxil 6 days ago. I get married next month and my job switched me to sales. I couldn't take the stress- I went to the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack, to find out it was anxiety. I've had chest pains, palpitations, obsessive nail biting and chewing. I couldn't take it any more. I've used 3 vacation days up just because of anxiety. Also I'm a 27 years old. Since I've started Paxil I've had a lot of side effects that I didn't associate with the medicine right away. I have trouble urinating even when I have to go badly. I've had short term memory loss like forgetting my work number, I feel hungover and dizzy, blurred vision, shakes, nausea, and inability to reach orgasm."

Jpat July 22, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I finally feel like I'm balanced now that I have been taking Paxil. Life before Paxil was not life. I have suffered from anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder since I was 8. I didn't start Paxil until I was 34 because of a divorce, but it truly has cured me. I no longer feel anxious, depressed, and the racing thoughts have diminished. I feel normal and rational. I do get very sleepy though while on Paxil, and I have found exercise to help combat that side effect. I don't know how my life would've turned out if I had been on this medicine a long time ago. I owe my life to this medicine."

Sammy3217 July 13, 2013

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had anxiety with panic attacks since 10 years ago, treated with Xanax as needed. When my father got ill the stress level was so high Xanax was not working well. Paxil 5mg daily changed my life and no side effects. After 1 year in 10 mg works better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2013

"I've been through several medicines including Abilify, Zoloft, clonazepam, Seroquel, Ativan, and several others. and this medicine it the most wonderful of all of them. With Paxil I feel so calm and just even toned. Is it possible something actually can work. I'm thinking genius! I can't thank you enough."

Tikitalons (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The first few days were hard for me, very groggy and giggly, and my husband says I was totally useless but I was smiling, and then the fog lifted. It doesn't make the problems in your life magically vanish, but instead of freaking out over everything, I now only get upset when a "normal" person would, I now have healthy natural reactions to things. I can deal with my problems. I don't see problems in everything, everywhere. Aropax changed not only my life drastically but the lives of everyone who cares about me."

Hells Bells (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 10, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking this for not only general anxiety but also for social anxiety, panic, and depression. My head must have needed this because I noticed a euphoric feeling after taking my first 10mg dose; within 15 minutes. Of course it won't get rid of the problems that plague you. But on a strictly how your head feels basis, for me this is a great medicine. I can relate to horror stories as I experienced those with Zoloft. Paxil makes me a little more comfortable in social settings and improves the quality of life in general. I'm a guy and it does diminish libido but I have managed to accept that."

paxil10yrs (taken for 10 years or more) April 27, 2013

"I was able to cope with people better and it eased me from flying off the handle. The downfall was when I owed my Dr money and she refused to refill. The withdrawal is terrible and now I am back to the anger issue."

trishlm March 22, 2013

"Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me. "

Anonymous March 5, 2013

"Had terrible dreams like they were actually real. Felt like I was in a cloud all the time"

Anonymous November 1, 2012

"Have had problems with social anxiety since I was a teenager and I must say after trying Paxil, Seroquel, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Paxil is by far the best. Only big catch is don't miss a dose you will have a panic attack."

Anonymous March 27, 2012

"Been on Paxil almost 2 years. Been taking it in the morning the whole time. Have to take a 2 hour nap everyday round lunch time. I'm switching to night time to see if it helps. I gained 50lbs and I'm emotionless, however I like that because I'm no longer screaming at my kids about every little thing and never cry like I use too. Had a hard time reaching orgasm the first few months, but side effect does pass. I take 20mg and when I feel myself fixing to have a fit I take an extra 10mg. I love my Paxil, just hate the tiredness and weight gain. Highly recommended."

iknowuraliar February 9, 2012

"I suffered with a pretty severe anxiety, stress and depression. Took Paxil 4 days ago and honestly I feel great. It already started working. Lot of it could be in my head but trust me all my symptoms disappeared. Side effects: from day one I had a light headache, day two -a little harder headache, day three unbearable headache, day four(now) no headache, feeling perfectly fine, great mood, even though its raining and dark outside. GREAT medicine. Also its worth to add, it worked the same wonders for me about 8 years ago when I had it for the last time. I was on Paxil for 6 months and it healed me. I had 7 years of great life and suddenly 6-7 months ago this thing attacked me again. Paxil works again, same way."

Anonymous September 29, 2011

"I have been on Paxil a little over a month now. Before I started taking it I had terrible anxiety, stress and depression. Since I've been taking it I've felt happy and stress free. The only problem I've had is that it can work a little too well. My grandpa went into hospice care and we knew he would die but I was still happy and stress free. I ran out of my Paxil and that's when it hit me that he's dying, then he died and I reacted as I should have, sad/depressed. I refilled my prescription its been less than 2 days since he died. While it is great I feel so much better, I wish I could feel the sadness I should be feeling."

Love it and hate it September 17, 2011

"Generalized anxiety disorder - 22 year old male. Paxil did help with my anxiety however, it made things seem more dull. The things I used to enjoy became boring. I stopped taking it after 2 months. I'm now starting Effexor XR. No other side effects."

Ash00000 August 1, 2011