User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "Changed my life. I can function at work--even facilitate meetings-- and have social interactions without the physical "fight or flight" response kicking in. It does make me tired, and there are some sexual side effects, otherwise I would have rated 10."

Some One April 28, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "About 33 years ago, I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Was put on Paxil, and it was brought to my attention, that they actually made me worse...more agitated. As I read these posts, I wonder "sure wish it worked for me, like that!! Need less to say, all these years later, my anxiety is thru the roof...HATE groups or crowds of people...I pretty much either go to work or stay in the house, on days off. Makes me nervous to be around people I don't know. Call me crazy, its like a phobia, and I think it's their stupidity! I'm not prefect, by ANY means....but my word, people these days!"

Tawnyalee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm on paxil one year eight month I'm a new lady really nice and social now I can go anywhere I want the world know I'm a new person thanks paxil to give me my life back."

Minou 67 March 22, 2016

"I was put on this for 4 months. A lot of the panic attacks went down but more stress was added. The side effects for me were easier bruising, nausea, fatigue, migraines and etc. It caused me to skip school a lot, and I got behind so it added more and more anxiety and was not worth it. I recommend no medication and therapy for social anxiety, and to help stomach aches and headaches us tiger balm and gin-gins (you can buy them at Whole foods stores"

Social Anxiety User February 1, 2016

"My anxiety has been with me since I was 11. I ended up dropping out of both high school and university because I couldn't go to my classes. I used to dread any and all excursions out of the house, no matter how small. I would feel horribly anxious if anything outside of my normal routine came up (doctor's appointments, people coming over, etc). Forget working. I felt so hopeless and didn't want to take prescription medication, but I'm so glad I did. I've been on paroxetine for 4 months and I feel like a different person. I don't drive myself nuts with worry. I started on 10mg and went up to 20mg a month ago. Side effects I've experienced are both drowsiness during the day and insomnia at night. It's worth it. I'm even looking for jobs now!"

UsneaDecay (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2015

"Seroxat (Paxil) has been amazing for my anxiety so far. I started at 10mg and am now at 30mg. It started to work at 20mg, though I felt a slightly higher dose would be beneficial, and it was. I may step up to 40mg, though I am aware that the additional benefit onto 30mg is minimal, especially considering it is beginning to show beneficial effects. I was previously taking Lustral (Zoloft) at the maximum dose of 200mg, and although it helped my depression immensely, the effect on my anxiety was minimal. Paxil is rather the opposite. Because social anxiety is my main issue, I much prefer Paxil, though if it were depression I would choose Zoloft. I have been on Paxil for over 2 months."

xDan123 October 31, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been taking Paxil since I was 9 years old. I'm now 19. Paxil has changed for the best. As a child I missed 4 months of school because I was so scared and nervous, I would puke until my parents told me I didn't have to go then I would instantly feel better. I tried in middle school to stop taking Paxil but I became scared, nervous, and edgy. It has just given me a little balance and control over myself, I'm very thankful for Paxil and that medication has come so far and has offered neurological help and relief to those who need it"

John.' October 23, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Has changed my entire life. Only side effect is delayed orgasm"

sjayyyyyyyyy October 20, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have taken paxil since 1995 after having a nervous breakdown. I also weaned myself off of paxil for 13 months in 2000 so that I could get pregnant. In 2001 I experienced post postpartum depression with no anxiety and went back on the paxil. Paxil is best suited for patients with Anxiety and MDD. It is a very potent SSRI. On dealing with the side effects: Weight gain can be prevented with proactive exercise. Constipation can be prevented by diet, suppository etc Sexual side effects can be reduced by reducing the amount of paxil prior to sex (cut your dosage in half that day). SAD can be minimized by adding vitamin B12 in the fall and winter."

nrcanada (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "You guys. I am a new person. Paxil has completely changed my life. I've been on 40 mg for 2 months and everyone has noticed a change. I can go shopping alone, greatly improved my work life, and I actually want to be social."

Youmg adult (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have grown up my entire life not knowing how to talk to people, being told I was shy, sweating, and getting red faced whenever I would talk in front of people. "I would never try anything new and would get nervous and upset when I would have to change plans or be around people. I have been on Paxil for over a year and I tell everyone how it has saved my life. Now, I do not think that Paxil completely changed me, I have also been going to school and building up my confidence. Paxil was the push I needed to get out, be social, and network. As I become more educated I am more and more confident and I thank paxil, and God, everyday. I wish I could be a Paxil Spokesperson!!! It has literally changed my entire life and helped me branch out!"

Ashleylifechanged!! August 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil is good at first but the "good" influence will wear out as soon as your body get used to it. While on it, I felt confident but only on the surface (the med alleviates the physical aspects of SA). On the inside however I'm filled with self doubt, negative thoughts, jealousy of naturally confident people etc. It also made me (careless) not give a damn about socializing so I'm less interested in social situations = more isolated = fear people's views of me. Anyways, please do not consider taking it as it's only a temporary fix. I was dumb enough to believe the success stories written here and tried it. I now have trouble quitting because of the nasty withdrawal symptom.."

bintuae (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started taking Paxil about two and a half months ago after many different antidepressants. I was extremely fatigued until the exact 2 month mark then it was like a light bulb went off. I no longer felt exhausted or depressed. The social anxiety no longer plagued me though I don't feel it has been a total cure. But overall, I feel really good. Strangely enough, I have no side effects. No sexual side effects. No sleep issues. Nothing. Paxil is my top choice for the antidepressants I have tried. I am diagnosed bipolar and ADHD as well so I also take an atypical antipsychotic, stimulants, and Xanax strictly for panic attacks. Paxil has really softened the edges for me in combination with everything else I take."

Rissa44 May 31, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Amazing. Before Paxil, New social situations in my new city at my new job made me almost faint for no reason. I would break out in a sweat and get extremely nervous and re-think how terribly the conversation went until I started Paxil. I'm on the 12.5 MG extended release which is amazing. The night sweats were bad at first but now I don't sleep with the same comforter I used to and they typically never happen anymore. Dreams can be very vivid and intensified especially if I've drank that evening or taken a xanax. Overall it's seriously changed my life for the better and I haven't gained any weight. One side effect would be sex - for the first month or two if was difficult to reach orgasm but now it's back to normal in month 3-4."

Djfkckdksks (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"My experience has been a positive one, the start up of this drug was a little difficult to get through but after about 8 weeks, wow. I noticed that certain scenarios that would cause obsessive thoughts and anxiety were not happening as frequently and if they did I let them go easily. I began little by little to be brave again and it feels great. I am very sleepy but once I get started it's fine and have increased sweating which is a pain but a lot better than how I was before I started."

Lea28 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil has changed my life for the better. I am 39 years and up until a mobth ago I had been dealing with major social and personal anxiety along with bipolar depression and agoraphobia. I had been prescribed a variety of prescription medications by different doctors over the years until last month by chance a new doctor (a general practitioner) suggested Paxil. It has now been a month and I am a whole new person. I have full of confidence and clear thinking. My thought process is in a positive direction and I'm constantly looking for was to improve my mind, body and spirit. I now have a new job after being on SSI for 4 years I thought I would go to my grave on government assistance. PAXIL SAVED MY LIFE!!!"

Molly F. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "This really does work. I've never been more confident and happier. Even my family and friends said something has changed. I also don't get as nervous in intimate situations. Give it a try if you're skeptical."

ktttt (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "It really works!!! But I gained 14 pounds"

SJM87 November 9, 2014

"Prozac and Paxil have saved my sanity."

Lucia1999 (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been depressed with major social anxiety for over five years. I've always been scared to try any medication. Lately it's been unbearable. I have too much social anxiety that I can't even sit through job interviews or simple things like going shopping alone. I'm 25 and have been on Paxil for less than a month. The first two weeks were bad. I'd wake up at odd hours of the night and be wide awake. I'd feel like puking throughout the day along with being very drowsy. Don't worry. It does subside. I feel like going out more and I'm not too worried as I usually am about people judging me or looking at me. I participate in small talk with strangers. I am free to go out without worrying. I'm content."

MissJulia October 26, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil close to a week now. It took the doctor close to two month for me to agree to trying it. I tried everything to overcome my anxiety naturally and I really felt like I hit breaking point. Because I have two young children, I knew it was important that I gave this a go...even though I'm in early days my mind seems content. I'm still trying to get used to it though. After stressing about trivial stuff for so long its strange to feel that I have my life back."

Jade- jade October 12, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I literally thought there was 0 hope for me. My anxiety has increased drastically as I've gotten older and has led to social anxiety. Going out in public would depress me, I constantly thought people were plotting against me and talking about me. I have been on Paxil for about a month. Thank God. My work days are MUCH better, I don't analyze the hell out of everything and I'm not afraid of people. I can now get out of bed and look forward to the day, not dread it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2014

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "To the person who recommended NeoCitran, do not take NeoCitran if you're taking Paxil or any other SSRI, unless the form of NeoCitran doesn't contain Dextromethorphan. These two medicines have a major interaction that could cause serotonin syndrome, which is relevant to my review of Paxil. My experience with Paxil so far hasn't been the best. Side effects have been pretty bad, and as I also have ADHD, taking both Paxil and Vyvanse has lead to some serotonin syndrome-like symptoms. I got mild serotonin syndrome a few days after I started taking Paxil, because I had been taking both Paxil and Vyvanse in the morning. I find that if I take Paxil at least 12 hours after Vyvanse, the side effects are minimal and haven't had any further problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "Started on Effexor. Lost my mind. Was put on Celexa (20mg) and lived my life. Things were okay. I had anxiety still, but it was controlled. Didn't care much about anything. But my anxiety was controlled. That went on for 2 years. Just over a month ago, I saw a new doctor (insurance changed and previous doctor didn't accept it). She pushed me to try Paxil. I replaced my 20mg of Celexa with 10mg of Paxil for 2 days, then went to 20mg Paxil. No issues at all. I am so happy I did it. I am a completely different person. When I say anxiety was controlled on Celexa, I'll tell you I have NO anxiety on Paxil. I haven't thought about it at all. I leave, drive, hang out with my friends, go do everything that not even Celexa allowed me to do."

TaraB_B March 13, 2014

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil CR for a few months. My doctor and I tried many many things. I think an entire year of my life was spent on playing with medications and dosages. I am currently taking 37.5 + 12.5 and have been for a while now. I haven't felt this "steady" in years. I can leave my apartment feeling "Free" now. I used to be borderline agoraphobic. I still have a long way to go but Paxil has done NOTHING but GOOD for me. Good Luck!"

RebornAGAIN January 22, 2014