User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Panic Disorder

Review by NervousNelli:

Paxil CR (paroxetine): Paxil CR has made a great impact on my quality of life. I started menopause and was dealing with stressful family health issues, both beginning at the same time. I begin to suffer from panic attacks and was overly sensitive to EVERYTHING. I was taking Lexapro which did not help at all. Paxil CR has been a God send for me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by JToni (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine): I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children.

May 30, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by JDV16:

Paxil (paroxetine): I had panic attacks since I was about 7 years old when I was hospitalized with rheumatic fever. I was left in the hospital to long in a extremely high fever in one of hospitals in Europe... Because of that the bacteria spread to my heart with resulted with heart muscle infection and effected aortic valve. I almost died. Was hospitalized for three months. This happened on Monday. I was scared Mondays. Every Monday was getting panic attack which started with very fast heart beating. It actually felt like I was getting heart attack. Blurry vision. Very hard to live with such symptoms. I am taking Paxil 20 mg for 16 years now. I can live normal life! Get help. Don't suffer, go to your doctor.

February 20, 2014 11:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine): I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck.

November 15, 2013 8:37 AM

Review by Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine): I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!

October 15, 2013 8:01 PM

Review by BoDro:

Paxil (paroxetine): I took it for anxiety, panic disorder & depression. Made me suicidal.

July 28, 2013 4:15 PM

Review by Paxiladdict:

Paxil (paroxetine): I've been on Paxil for 5 years and it helped my Panic Attacks 100%. The good thing is that I can cope with the tremendous amount of stress I am under at work and home with my special needs son. I was going to a Naturopathic Physician and the natural remedies worked for a while and then stopped. I couldn't sleep much for four months and kept jumping out of my sleep with massive panic attacks. I started out on 10 mg and now cut my pills in half (5 mg) and it keeps me panic free. The negative side effects are sexual performance, weight gain and I feel the medicine is aging me. I now have occasional head shaking that upsets my wife. She wants me to get off this and I tried to a couple of times with renewal of panic attacks.

June 24, 2013 7:09 PM

Review by Cat Guy:

Paxil (paroxetine): Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked.

March 20, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine): Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic.

March 17, 2013 6:19 PM

Review by 1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine): I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!

December 28, 2012 9:39 PM

Review by babymommaj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Throughout my whole pregnancy and even after (my son is 5 months old) I was under a lot of emotional stress. About two and a half months after he was born I started having what I thought were heart attacks so I went to the hospital. Come to find out I have severe panic attacks and saw my PCP the next day and she prescribed me Paxil. The only things I've noticed is that I've lost a lot of weight. I was a healthy 120 and am now 109 lbs. I also bruise extremely easily and could sleep all day long. I still have slight panic attacks but all in all, they have pretty much gone away. I also have times where I seem to be very focused. I highly recommend it to anyone.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2012 10:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have just started taking paroxetine. I'm on my 8 day suffering some side affects such as mood swings nervousness hopefully it will get better soon, I'll let you know.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2012 5:53 AM

Paxil (paroxetine): My general doctor gave me Paxil when I told her I had been having panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and when I hadn't noticed a difference after 6 weeks she upped the dose to 20mg. I still have anxiety day to day, and feel the beginning of a panic attack a lot, but am not able to go through with it. Sex drive completely gone. All I want to do is sleep. Depression worsened. This is not for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2012 4:44 AM

Review by interpreter 101:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have been on Paxil 6 weeks now. I am feeling so much better it is a miracle. In this experience I realized that I had some issues that I needed to face and some grudges that I needed to let go that had built up over the years. I thought that I would never experience another normal day again because my anxiety attacks and depression were so severe I thought my life was over. I tried to avoid taking medicines and fighting my anxiety off myself but anxiety started to take over my life.

March 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Medicated1111:

Paxil (paroxetine): I took Paxil for 10 years. Started on 20mg and had intense anxiety, confusion, panic. Doctor insisted it was all in my head. Therapist told me to cut the dose in 1/2. Felt somewhat better. Went up to 20mg after a few months and began to get brain zaps. A close friend told me I had lost my personality. Slept 10-14 hrs a night and frustrated my partner because of sleeping, no sex drive and no ability to feel sexual pleasure. Effects of alcohol intensified- passed out from 2 drinks or became over-emotional. Tapered from 20mg to 0 slowly over the 10 yrs. Each tiny decrease resulted in ~2wk period of increased anxiety. I think overall it numbed the panic but CBT therapy and getting older may have been more or similarly effective.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2012 12:48 PM

Paxil (paroxetine): I first took Paxil in high school for minor depression but weaned myself off of it in college. About a year later I began having awful, day-long panic attacks which caused me to take two months off from school. So back on the Paxil I went, knowing that I would probably be taking it for life. I have tried several other medicines as well, but they didn't work for me. Paxil is the only thing that makes me feel "normal" and clear-headed. If I don't take it for a couple of days I do start feeling a little light-headed and anxious, so I wouldn't ever quit cold-turkey. I recommend trying a few different medicines if the first ones aren't a perfect fit, everyone is unique, and Paxil works for me.

January 9, 2012 2:49 PM

Paxil (paroxetine): About 20 years ago, I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder. After a year or so on Desipramine, my shrink switched me to Paxil. I've been taking 20mg/day for years now. It saved my life. About 10 years ago, after moving to a different State, I slowly weaned myself off Paxil at the suggestion of my former primary care physician. In less than one year, I started having panic attacks again. Long story short: I'm on Paxil 20 mg/day for life. It doesn't not make sense to suffer with Panic Disorder.

November 16, 2011 7:07 PM

Review by gypcsol:

Paxil (paroxetine): I began taking 10mg Paxil when I was 28 (I am now 38) for panic attacks and stayed on it for around 6 years. I felt so good on it that I felt like I didn't need it anymore so I weened myself off of it with no problems! After going through early menopause my Doctor put me on 50 mg of Zoloft, that worked well for my hot flashes and mood swings but when I began having panic attacks again the Zoloft did nothing. My Doctor then increased the Zoloft to 100mg, it did nothing for my panic attacks only made me more nervous! I am now taking 20 mg of Paxil. I am here to say that it has only been one week, but what a difference a week makes! I feel like myself only a little tired. I have no other side effects and it gave me my life back!

October 21, 2011 12:39 PM

Paxil (paroxetine): Miracle pill.

October 3, 2011 6:25 AM

Review by Ricasell:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have suffered with panic all my life. Since taking Paxil I don't have them. If you run out the panic comes back. I've heard bad things about Paxil but it saved my life so its worth it.

September 29, 2011 8:53 PM

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil has helped me live again.

September 17, 2011 1:38 AM

Review by Bruzer:

Paxil (paroxetine): Panic attacks are greatly reduced, depression persists.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2011 1:18 PM

Review by Momof2FightingAnxiety:

Paxil (paroxetine): Panic Disorder/Bipolar/Manic Depressive: Today will be my 7th Dose, I am having a love hate relationship with my Paxil, it made me EXTREMELY tired for the first 4 days, headaches on day 4 & 5, Dizziness day 2-7. I feel spaced out & every morning I wake up & want to stop taking the meds because of how I feel. I am not like "myself" BUT, I didnt like myself to begin with, I suffered from panic attacks that last for days on end with only relief from Xanax. I would have anger outbursts towards the ones I love the most. Now, although my world feels off balance, I have noticed less anger and more smiling. I am going to stick with it for another week, even though I know tomorrow I will want to stop again. Just hope side effects lessen.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2011 9:41 AM

Paxil (paroxetine): All I can said is that before I started taking Paxil I had terrible panic attacks, was about to lose my job. I started to take Paxil 10 mgs a day and I am here to say it works wonders. I have not had a panic attack since. Paxil has been a real lifesaver to me.

June 23, 2011 9:06 PM

Paxil (paroxetine): I've been experiencing panic attacks for over a year, at first I thought maybe it was a phase that would pass but they have become constant and are really affecting my life. My doctor prescribed 10mg dosage for the first 2 weeks then 20mg from then on and I take them before bed. I been on it for a week and 3days and experiencing headaches and when I wake up to fast I feel like the room is moving and I can't focus my vision. Hopefully the side effects go away and I can experience the benefits. I've been reading lots of different opinions, mostly about the withdrawal symptoms. I'm 18 so I don't want to be hooked on it forever then again if it helps my panic disorder and doesn't cause any major health issues, why not?

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate