User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Panic Disorder

Paxil (paroxetine): "I suffer from debilitating panic attacks. Just 10 mg of Paxil works wonders. I've tried almost every SSRI out there, but Paxil is the only one that works. Nothing else can touch my panic."

Cat65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"Hello My story is after 30 years of panic attacks low self-esteem My Dr put me on 60 mg paroxtine a day. 6 months later I fell pregnant my Dr kept me on the same dosage I then moved found a new Dr whom got me to 10 mg per day. When my son was born he had terrible withdrawal stomach cramps among other things. From the age of 3 he started play group the teachers noticed that he was different to the other kids. My son is now 13 he has Autism among other things I do blame my medication for all this."

Gypsy71 (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started Paxil 15 years ago after a stroke. Lately felt maybe it's not as effective my Dr switched me to 40 mg of celexa same as my Paxil. After six days on the new one I felt like I was having problems with weakness on one side and felt like I didn't have long to live etc. so got myself into a big panic attack. Back on Paxil for now feeling better."

Josie671 January 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was diagnosed with GAD and panic disorder three years ago. I have tried ever antidepressant out there. None ever gave me relief except for paxil. I truly credit paxil for saving my sanity, and stopping most of my panic attacks. Although I still have anxiety from time to time, it is nothing I can't manage. I've been taking 40 mgs of paxil for about 9 months. I finally feel like my normal self again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2016

"Paroxetine has really helped me. It has served me really well for some years now and I have not experienced any serious side effects even though I have quit the drug a couple of times for some months. I had panic attacks and was depressed and anxious. After I had taken paroxetine for some weeks everything changed. From being stuck with worry,anxiety and depression on and off for several years, one morning, all of a sudden I felt joy and life became so much easier to live. I find it so odd that this drug seems to work in so many different ways for different people. For some it seems to create hell, and yet for me I´m inclined to say the opposite. It may not have created heaven but at least it has given me my good life back!"

zyx112 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on celexa for 3 years and just recently switched to Paxil ...for the short time I've taken Paxil I've noticed an overall improvement with my mood and willingness to go out and be social without having a few shots of whiskey to give me the kick I needed. I have a diagnosed panic disorder which is anxiety on steroids. I'm not sure just how well the Paxil will work months or years from now but I must say I'm feeling pretty good now."

Dougy22 September 9, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I started on Paxil late 1990s for panic disorders and depression...I am 5'6" and was about 118lbs. Stayed on Paxil about 4 years and came off because I wanted to get pregnant. It saved my life truly I felt great and I was able to enjoy driving again, going to the mall, able to take an elevator, able to stay at home alone, wait on lines at supermarkets, work without fear of losing it, etc. after coming off very slowly the good effects lasted about a year. However, while on Paxil I gained 60lbs. After my son was born in 2004 I had postpartum depression so again went back in Paxil it didn't work as good as the first time but it helped get me back to feeling just alright. Came off again due to more weight gain."

Dee art August 19, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "paxil is the best medicine for panic disorder. I can tell it will work within 15 days. Just be patient don't give up. Some people say they put on weight. I didn't put on any weight I've used it for 2 years almost. So it works different for everybody. Paxil stopped my panic attacks. Thank you!"

ashyuko August 9, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil helps me so much. I thank God for it. I've tried so many antidepressants and none work as good as Paxil. I would have terrible anxiety and panic attacks. Now I feel calm , confident and happy. It works. I did gain a little weight because it increased my appetite but nothing exercise and a heathy diet can't fix. I rather be happy anyway."

Overcome1633 June 29, 2015

"Withdrawal is a literal nightmare! Headaches, shock/buzz in ears/head, lump in throat, chills, nightsweats, crying. It's been 5 weeks and MD said gastric distress and nausea may still be from withdrawal. Libido and joy of life are returning but give yourself a month without major social events to get back on your feet."

spotz (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil literally saved my life. I have been on Paxil since I was 26 and I am now 40. Out of the blue, I started having severe panic attacks. My psychiatrist gave me paxil. From that day forward, I have not had any panic attacks. The only reason I gave this medication a 9 out of 10 is because, I gained almost 100 lbs on it. I have since lost 50 lbs. It is a great medication for panic disorder; however for depression, I would take something else."

Pizota (taken for 10 years or more) March 18, 2015

"I've been on Paxil for a few days now, I can already begain to feel it calming me down and controlling my attacks, seems each day I'm getting a bit better. I hope within the next two weeks it completely eliminates them like it has for so many others. Only time can tell I guess, just wanted to say that it is actually working and making me feel better so if you are suffering like I have my whole life (I'm now a 23 year old male) please look into this. This is the only thing I have found to actually do anything for me whatsoever. Don't live your life terrified you going to have a panic attack infront of people and fear losing your friends and life because of it. Make this move and talk to your doctor about Paxil."

Will1322 February 14, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Made my depression and anxiety worse. Caused more instances of suicidal ideation."

KateisGrate January 19, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've had severe panic attacks while primarily driving on interstate highways and through mountains for 30 plus years. I rarely have attacks driving on most other types of roads and conditions. I've been on Paxil for 5 years now and it is truly a life saver for me. I choose however, and contrary to most advice, not to be on it all the time as it does numb the senses. Twice yearly I drive from Florida to Indiana and choose to take 20 mg/day for one month prior to my trip and 40 mg/day a couple of days prior to my trip. For the most part I can drive successfully with no attacks. Occasionally I will still have what I call a "break through"- sort of a rush sensation but not as severe as a panic attack. I have no problems coming off it."

Retired in Florida (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2014

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "Paxil CR has made a great impact on my quality of life. I started menopause and was dealing with stressful family health issues, both beginning at the same time. I begin to suffer from panic attacks and was overly sensitive to EVERYTHING. I was taking Lexapro which did not help at all. Paxil CR has been a God send for me."

NervousNelli July 27, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil since I was 19. I am now 34. This medication has saved my life. I have read a ton of negative comments about Paxil and I truly believe it is not for everyone. It either works great or not. For me life before Paxil was horribly scary. I had massive panic disorder and was sheltered in my home all the time. I used to struggle with a few of the side effects of Paxil such as decreased sex drive and the feeling of nausea. However I have learned over the last 15 years of being on it, how to change the side effects through other positive reinforcements such as meditation and positive thinking. I no longer have the side effects. Perhaps 15 year has helped with that too. I stayed on Paxil when I had all three of my children."

JToni (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I had panic attacks since I was about 7 years old when I was hospitalized with rheumatic fever. I was left in the hospital to long in a extremely high fever in one of hospitals in Europe... Because of that the bacteria spread to my heart with resulted with heart muscle infection and effected aortic valve. I almost died. Was hospitalized for three months. This happened on Monday. I was scared Mondays. Every Monday was getting panic attack which started with very fast heart beating. It actually felt like I was getting heart attack. Blurry vision. Very hard to live with such symptoms. I am taking Paxil 20 mg for 16 years now. I can live normal life! Get help. Don't suffer, go to your doctor."

JDV16 February 20, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking Paxil for 3 years now. It has helped me very much. I'm 21 years old and have had no side effects from it. I'm glad to feel normal again. Without Paxil I would be an emotional wreck."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took 40 mg of Paxil for about 2 years over 11 years ago for panic, anxiety and moderate depression. It worked very well for me. I did take Xanax while the Paxil was building up in my body. After about 4 weeks I didn't need the Xanax any more. About 6 weeks ago my anxiety and panic began to increase to a point I knew I needed help in addition to my exercise, healthy eating etc. I went to my doctor to get Paxil. I started on 10 mg for a week and had increased anxiety, which I controlled with 0.25 mg of Xanax once a day. I went up to 20 mg on day 8 and had severe anxiety and bad thought for about 36 hours. Suddenly, just like that it was all gone. I now feel great! Some side effects, but worth the sanity!"

Healthcare Worker (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took it for anxiety, panic disorder & depression. Made me suicidal."

BoDro July 28, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on Paxil for 5 years and it helped my Panic Attacks 100%. The good thing is that I can cope with the tremendous amount of stress I am under at work and home with my special needs son. I was going to a Naturopathic Physician and the natural remedies worked for a while and then stopped. I couldn't sleep much for four months and kept jumping out of my sleep with massive panic attacks. I started out on 10 mg and now cut my pills in half (5 mg) and it keeps me panic free. The negative side effects are sexual performance, weight gain and I feel the medicine is aging me. I now have occasional head shaking that upsets my wife. She wants me to get off this and I tried to a couple of times with renewal of panic attacks."

Paxiladdict June 24, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked."

Cat Guy March 20, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic."

notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!"

1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2012

"Throughout my whole pregnancy and even after (my son is 5 months old) I was under a lot of emotional stress. About two and a half months after he was born I started having what I thought were heart attacks so I went to the hospital. Come to find out I have severe panic attacks and saw my PCP the next day and she prescribed me Paxil. The only things I've noticed is that I've lost a lot of weight. I was a healthy 120 and am now 109 lbs. I also bruise extremely easily and could sleep all day long. I still have slight panic attacks but all in all, they have pretty much gone away. I also have times where I seem to be very focused. I highly recommend it to anyone."

babymommaj (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012