User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Hot Flashes.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Hot Flashes

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for the past 6 months to help with hot flashes. However, I have had these chronic problems since taking this medication. I have tremors, eyes are sensitive to light, seizures, biting my tongue during the night while sleeping so severe that I have to get up because the blood is so profuse. I also am dizzy all the time, and feel like I am whirling around and unstable while sitting, lying down, or walking about. It has taken me almost 2 months and thousands of dollars to figure this out on my own. I have been to the endocrinologist to see if I have a tumor, neurologist due to the seizures, dentist, ENTSpecialist, Chiropractor, a Neuro-Opthamologist, and my primary care physician and no one has been able to help me"

Scottishlass718 January 30, 2016

"I had been taking Sertraline for anxiety. Started on paroxetine for the hot flashes as the recommendation of my doctor. Hot flashes reduced significantly, but an occasional hot flash wasn't as bad. BUT, then I started having what I would call side effects: itching on my scalp, my underarms, eye brows and other warmer, damper areas. I went from fanning myself to scratching. Not attractive. I tried weaning myself from paroxetine and the itching subsided, but now the hot flashes are returning.My libido went from poor to nothing on this medication. I didn't think much about the brain fog and zaps until I read this blog. Since being off of it completely, my emotions are out of control (crying, anxiety..) Don't think this is for me."

Improved menopause symptoms (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "3 weeks into taking Brisdelle I stopped. After a week I was experiencing horrific muscle pain in my legs which kept me awake for three nights until I was prescribed a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The anti-inflammatory calmed the muscle pain down but then I started experiencing horrific head pain and headaches; I've never had a headache in my life! I am off this drug for two days now and can't wait to feel like myself again. I'm still experiencing insomnia, headache, head pain, vertigo."

LoriSt November 20, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "Been on Brisdelle for ten days. I was having eight to ten hot flashes a day and I was up all night long with them as well. Over the last ten days they have tapered off, with yesterday and today being completely hot flash free! My anxiety is also almost completely gone. I had bouts of nausea in the beginning that came in waves and even woke me up at night, but that seems to have disappeared completely. I hope this continues! I'm very happy with this medication."

Kelly64 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "It definitely works. Hot flashes stopped within days & it calmed me so much. I slept so good at night but then headaches, sinus congestion, chest congestion, almost feeling like having the flu made me stop & it took me weeks to get over the brain fog feeling."

LMWCAWCNW November 13, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for 7 months. I wanted to give it a fair chance. I had fairly severe hot flashes but no other problems relating to menopause. I went from having about 15 hot flashes a day to about 10. The severity was a bit better but I still had a lot of sweat with each flash especially at night. It was very expensive and my health plan didn't cover it so I came off. Weaned myself off very slowly over a six week period. The withdrawal is pretty severe. Feelings of vertigo and dizziness. Nausea and zaps."

Kassie63 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 6, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I love brisdelle! Hot flash and sweating relief, no side effects, no personality changes. Very happy this is available. Lifesaver!"

Tigra October 15, 2015

"I've been experiencing Hot Flashes for sometime now. My Dr. put me on Brisdell. This medicine did absolutely nothing for me!!"

To Hot Mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

"My Dr recently increased my dose of Paxil adding 10 mg. it has made a significant difference in the amount and severity of my hot flashes. Every day I could easily have 15 and at night sometime 10. It has been a week so far and the daily have reduced to somewhere between 5 and 8. And at night approximately 5. I am grateful for the slight relief."

Hot Star (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I've been on Brisdelle about 5 weeks and I absolutely LOVE it!! I noticed the difference after about 4 days. I was a complete mess before starting Brisdelle (moody, depression, major hot flashes, crying, etc) I now feel like a brand new woman. I am so appreciative that my doctor prescribed this for me."

Anonymous September 5, 2015

"I am on day 8, and Im so thrilled. My level of hot flashes has reduced by half, and the worst of them, in 8 days I have had only 3, usually I have 2-3 a day. Im hoping this continues. Im taking 7.5mg capsules. love my doctor for listening to me and giving something that is helping."

jdfly (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2015

"The cost of Brisdelle (Paroxetine) is high,but it is worth it. It took about 60 days, but I have 85% reduction of in symptoms in "the sweats" and irritability. This is a slow-release and small dosage of an antidepressant. Therefore, the anti-depression action should be very minimal. If a physician is prescribing Paroxetine at 10mg or greater and stating that it should help with menopausal symtoms, it is helping more with depression and anxiety. Paroxetine CR 12.5mg or higher is also more for depression/anxiety. Just as antidepressants are used at sub-therapeutic dosages for pain relief, the difference is in the amount of the medication and also the time it takes to be absorbed in the body. My advice is to talk to your prescriber carefully"

Corry T. August 25, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I've been on Brisdelle 8 days and I feel like a new woman. No hot flashes in 5 days, my mood is MUCH better, no night sweats and no crying. I hope it last...I'm so glad my doctor prescribed this."

Anonymous August 4, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I took it for 3 months straight. During the 1st month, my hot flashes reduced, by month 3, it seemed like it wasn't helping with the hot flashes much, but I noticed a positive side effect. My overall outlook on life was so much better. Little things that once got on my nerves, slid off my back like a ducks. I asked for something different (grass is greener syndrome) because I wanted more.More hot flash reduction, less anxiety. When I stopped I realized I'd made a terrible mistake. Is been 2 weeks and I'm ready to kill somebody.Moody? Yes? Irritable? Yes. Sweating profusely? Yes .I'm getting back on it today! !!!!"

Just Jay July 19, 2015

"I had a hysterectomy in 2002 and went on hormones for a few years, then quit and had no problems. This year night sweats started really bad, waking 5-10 times a night. This drug stopped the night sweats within 3 days, but depression, no motavation, being tired all day and being very irratable I made the decision to wean myself off after 3 weeks. Now after 5 days off I am beginning to feel human again. Side effects weren't worth it for me."

Star02 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"I was experiencing severe hot flashes and uncontrolled emotions, crying, angry, and very tired from lack of sleep. I consulted with my doctor and she put me on paxil. I was confused as I am a quiet and always a hard worker with no real problems with depression. Doctor explained that it helps with hot flashes. I am on 10 mg a day that I take a bedtime. I get very tired, yawn all the time, still not sleeping the best, I clinch my teeth together all the time so they are sore, food is not appealing so I barely eat, I do not want to talk to anyone, do not want to work either, no energy and no sex drive. I am told that I will get more adjusted to it and things will right themselves. It has only been 1 1/2 months I will give it a few more."

Menopause Severe Hot Flashes April 3, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I have been taking Brisdelle for 6 days and to date my severe hot flashes has diminished tremendously. I am so grateful for this relief."

Mahilia25 March 18, 2015

"I have had difficulty with hormonal depression which is why I thought it was prescribed. It stopped my night sweats immediately, now 17 days in, my depression is a little worse. Feeling sad and tired. Not for me but enjoyed the relief from night sweats while it lasted."

57andcounting! (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "I am beyond furious. Not only did Brisedelle live up to its promise of eliminating night sweats and hot flashes, they failed to mention (as did my doctor) about the side effects when stopping them. After 5 months of taking it, I decided it wasn't working for me. Now, I am left with what I have discovered are "Brain Zaps". There are other ways to help with these symptoms. "

Hot and bothered February 27, 2015

"I started having hot flashes seven years a go after chemotherapy put me into menopause at the age of 44. The hot flashes were happening every one to two hours ever day and were strong. I am not allowed to take HRT so assumed I was just going to have to live with it. Last month my Dr. Told me about this drug and prescribed 10 mg daily. On day one I had no hot flashes. Since then I might have one a day but the severity is drastically reduced. Often I go all day without having one. It is life changing. The only side effect is maybe a little bit of tiredness, but nothing severe. I'll take the trade off. Give it a try, it may be just what you have been hoping for."

gretchr February 15, 2015

Brisdelle (paroxetine): "My hot flashes has reduced tremendously. Initially, I thought it was not working until I stopped taking it. When I went back on the meds I have been almost normal. I am pleased"

harvco February 13, 2015

"Had surgical menopause and started this two weeks before surgery. I am now two weeks past surgery and have not experienced a single hot flash or any other menopause symptom. I sleep great and feel much more calm. It did make me tired for the first week and have brain fog, but that passed."

Shachar December 28, 2014

"Increased to 30mg. And big improvement. It took 7-8 weeks to help but usually 1-2 hot flashes per day, no night sweats anymore. Love the calming effect. No other side effects. Just waiting for them to stop all together."

blue devil (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 28, 2014

"Been taking paxil for years. Started having hot flashes and they continue, Paxil has not effect on them."

cotton100 December 10, 2014

"Amazed that this is working so well for me & so quickly. I've been suffering from horrible hot flashes (2 per hour) of everyday for 8 years now. I noticed relief from Paxil in 2 days. I couldn't believe it. Like many, I've tried EVERY THING imaginable for some relief, (to avoid the dangers of HRT). Now night sweats are down to 1 per night at most (compared to 5 per night). All I do is wash sheets, night clothes & pillows. Only problem with the Paxil is how groggy I feel the next day. Now I'm taking it a few hours before bed now hoping this will help. After 3 days I think this is helping some. Won't stop trying to make this medicine work."

Teyha November 18, 2014