User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Review by GJ72 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Paxil CR (paroxetine): I have been dealing with anxiety all my life. I thought that was how everyone lived. Last year I had a debilitating episode of anxiety and finally sought help. After hearing my history the doctors wanted me to get on SSRI's asap. I resisted at first due to fears, but eventually relented. Started with 20mg a day of Paxil, was on that does for three months, and I still had some anxiety. Went up to 30mg and after the new dose kicked in, I have never felt better. It has been a year at 30mg's and my anxiety is gone, not just health anxiety but social anxiety, money anxiety. My mind finally works the way it was meant to and I owe it all to Paxil.

September 23, 2013 2:36 PM
Review by gingerrogers:

Paxil CR (paroxetine): I remember feeling weird on Paxil. I guess you can say it helped because I was so focused on that foggy feeling that I stopped thinking about feeling anxious! But, of course, that wasn't a reasonable ore or comfortable way to be treated, so I told the psychiatrist I didn't want the Paxil. And unlike what most folks here experienced, I became anorexic instead of gaining weight. I had no interest in eating at all. As a result, I lost about 10 lbs in 2 weeks, and I was only about 115 lbs to start. My pain doctor has just given me a sample of Cymbalta. He told me to wait til the weekend, in other words, not to take it and try and go to work, until I knew how it would affect me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 24, 2013 12:38 PM
Review by Mega B without Paxil (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): My anxiety is pretty bad to the point it makes me feel ADHD, depressed and overall anxious. It's not that I dread or fear anything, it feels more like I'm in a constant panic attack, defensively bad mood! Then came Paxil and my life did a complete 180. I still have ADHD but as soon as I notice it acting up I'm able to laugh it off, stop, and reorganize to get back on track. I don't feel helpless or sad anymore. This runs on both sides of my family but more so on the maternal side. I "got better" so I stopped cold turkey. Do not do this. It is absolutely horrific and I experienced some of the worst silent panic attacks ever! Meedless to say, I am back on it and will never come off it again!

July 3, 2013 8:09 PM
Review by jmoney70: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I am 41 and have had all manner of anxiety for most of my life. Usually this worsens as my self esteem drops. I have taken it twice in the past, once for about 3 years, and recently for about a year. I stopped taking it almost 8 months ago and I just went back on it yesterday. 20mgs and yesterday was the worst I ever remember feeling. Headache, restlessness, dry mouth (flu like symptoms), and I ate only because I needed to. I was not hungry. Couldn't sleep last night so I took 50 mgs of diphenhydramine and slept well. Today I feel much better! I am cutting to only 10mgs for a week and then back to the 20mgs. I have to say that when you are calling out from your job and afraid to go in stores, like myself, this medicine works!

July 1, 2013 10:38 AM
Review by Coulditbe: User Rating:

Paxil CR (paroxetine): I started using it a week ago and within 4 days it felt like the dark cloud surrounding me lifted. My circumstances are exactly the same, I can just handle it better and now start working on issues. It saved my life.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 13, 2013 3:28 AM
Review by Drewdove: User Rating:

paroxetine: I was angry all the time and feeling like crap about living with my parents well into my 40s. After trying Viibryd and getting no relief (@ $150 a month) my doctor switched me to a generic paroxetine ($10 a month) and I couldn't be better. I'm happy most of the time and things which once set me off now no longer phase me. With Ambien to help me sleep, Paxil has made life not just livable but enjoyable.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 9, 2013 12:20 AM
Review by Wessican (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have been taking 30 mg of Paxil daily for about 4 years. It truly changed my life. I have had more issues with anxiety than depression, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all the time for no reason, I had constant pressure on my chest- Paxil put an end to the sleepless nights, nipped the depression in the bud and took my anxiety level down by about 90%. The only problems are if I miss a pill I get those nasty electric shock feelings, I feel like my emotions are almost a bit too subdued (can't cry, sometimes you got to pet or out) and lastly I have NO sex drive. For this reason I'm in the process of tapering off and my doctor is putting me on Viibryd. But if that doesn't work as well as Paxil I'll definitely switch back!

April 13, 2013 1:43 AM
Review by nopaxil (taken for less than 1 month):

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil was a nightmare for me. I took it for 1 week and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch and experienced even more intense anxiety. For the first time in my life I felt suicidal with increased racing thoughts. It wasn't for me. Maybe I should've hung in there longer, but I was concerned about my own safety.

November 18, 2012 10:08 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): My son started this almost 3 months ago, he is 17. It had helped him alot! He was throwing up at bus stop with just thinking of going to school. Constantly had stomach cramps and "the runs". He would never go into a restaurant or a store and he is getting better at both. I'm so glad for him because of this medicine, it gave him his life back.

October 19, 2012 2:33 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil was an absolute life changer for me 8 years before 'pooping out' last year. Alcohol abuse was almost certainly the cause of it's ineffectiveness & I have learned my lesson. Many negative reviews on the web describe the severe withdrawal symptoms. I count myself lucky that Paxil worked wonders for me WITHOUT any withdrawal periods. Not everyone experiences this withdrawal so if you're here reading experiences & worrying about possible future withdrawal don't assume it will happen to you. I am now on mirtazapine which is ok but I really miss the feel good 'boost' & confidence that Paxil gave me. I used to call this my 'serotonin high'. I hope to find another SSRI that worked similar to Paxil for me. Zoloft & citalopram failed.

October 9, 2012 6:16 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Simply amazing. This pill really has helped me gain control of my once terrible anxiety disorder. Sure, it made me gain a LITTLE bit of weight, but my mental health is worth those 5lbs! It's very effective, without turning me into a zombie. I can function normally, and even better than I have in a long time.

August 13, 2012 3:04 AM
Review by happy face: User Rating:

paroxetine: I have neen taking 25 mg of paroxetine for 5 years and have had 1 panic attack and basically no more anxiety. My overall mental and physical health has increased dramatically due to paroxetine. It takes around a month to take full effect and side effects slowly disappear. Go get a gym membership and work out 3 to 4 days a week, be conscious of what you eat and your quality of life and overall happiness will return.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 29, 2012 12:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil not only helped with panic attacks, it cured me of my fear of heights! The down side was the 40 pound weight gain over 3 months (exercise didn't help). Vivid dreams and it took over 40 minutes to achieve orgasm (no complaints from the wife!)

July 21, 2011 8:23 PM
Review by imozarker: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Started Paxil 15 some years ago for anxiety and depression. I'm on the clinical maximum dosage of 75 mg CR. I had no side effects and it has helped me greatly. I also take Xanax.

October 20, 2010 2:02 PM
Review by WorriedTeen: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I'm 15 and have GAD. It got so bad that I missed a month and a half of school in my freshman year. Paxil has helped me so much. I'm able to go to school and function normally.

April 23, 2010 9:52 PM
Review by Brite_star2005: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have only been taking Paxil for 9 days now. I really can't tell much difference except I feel a little better. I have read what others have said and it seems promising so I'll keep taking it so maybe soon I can function. My anxiety has pretty much taken over and I don't leave the house without another person to drive in case, it's terrible. With any luck soon that will no longer be an issue. I'll come back in a week or 2 and let you know.

October 14, 2009 12:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): This drug has saved my life. I tried reducing slowly, but my anxiety had come back. Without Paxil I had severe anxiety that was just awful. Could not function or work or anything. Paxil has brought my life back to me.

October 6, 2009 11:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil CR (paroxetine): I love it.

September 26, 2009 9:48 PM
Review by kidmonster: User Rating:

paroxetine: This generic works but it sure doesn't work as well as Paxil CR. The generic isn't as potent. But it's less expensive. Paroxetine seems to work for O.C.D. very well, but the weight gain sure can be a bummer. You can be tired after taking it too; so I take it at night to help me get a good sleep.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2009 4:36 PM
Review by starsmom: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Taking 20mg. Thought it was starting to help at about the 2nd to 3rd week but now my anxiety is back. Also have faintness daily. Don't know if it is from the Paxil or the anxiety but it started the same time I started the Paxil.

March 5, 2009 4:50 PM
Review by Happy Dwarf: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil is the best thing that has happened to me. Sometimes I wonder if I could be too happy. It's great!

January 29, 2009 12:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): This medication has probably saved my life. Before using it my anxiety was so severe it put many limitations on my life. I foolishly tried to reduce it twice, and the uncontrollable symptoms returned. I just increased it back to the original 20 mg/day and hope it works once again very soon.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 27, 2008 10:50 PM