User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Paxil (paroxetine): "DO NOT EVER TAKE THIS DRUG. long story short, it can cause mania, depersonalization, mood swings, uncontrollable anger, suicidal thoughts and actions, and it can make your depression and anxiety 10 times worse. It also causes permanent damage to the brain by literally stooping your brains ability to produce serotonin by itself. This is one of the oldest SSRI's on the market, and its short half-life make withdrawals the worst thing ever. The withdrawals are similar to heroin withdrawals and last 3-6 months. If you want to seriously fu** up your life and your brain, take this drug."

MikaBBB April 20, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "It's week three. Let me start by saying this is my third try at a different depression/anxiety med. And it actually seems to be working. Also I've went from 290 at the dr. Office to 276 in 3 weeks I'm 6'2" so it's noticeable. I use to stress eat, now I don't have the urge to constantly eat. I feel, not full, just in hungry and fine with it? Overall I give it a 9/10 the 1 is because it's only been 3 weeks. Kicks in quick(two weeks for me), go all day with no need for xanax or ativan. I'm also alot less angry. Hope this helps, explore all options. Everyone's different! Never lose faith and force a smile :)"

Casey st. (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): " In few words - Life changing All negative thoughts change to positive ones And that is a life changing pill I was born depressed really ,with a wierd point of veiw, very critic of everybody, now I am a happy ordinary guy with a beautifull family Something I could not have achieved with out paxil, I take one every day for 23 years The effects goes out just after a glass of wine , so be carefull , quiting the pill in a fast way will cause " rage" yes , you would not recognized your self kind of rage so be carefull. You ar"

Mtoa April 3, 2016

"Started at 10mg quickly moved to 40mg paroxetine erased my anxiety and elevated mood as well increased my energy levels"

Cntx (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I don't know why anyone would prescribe Seroxat for depression. I was given this for anxiety and depression and while it does help my anxiety to some extent, it doesn't work as an 'antidepressant' and actually gives me suicidal tendencies and for that reason I would recommend not taking it for depression. I take 40mg and plan to stop taking Seroxat and choosing something safer and more effective."

Danil123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Very good medication I took and in 3 days my mood improved also I found my self being more social , joking around alot more but it also made me very hyper in extremely talkative now im on the road to recovery"

185303pharmacydude (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil CR for many years with good results. I started at 12.5 Mg and over time have been increased to 25Mg. In the last yr I have found myself depressed 3 or more days a week even though I take my pill religiously every day. In the last few months the 3 days have turned into 5 to 6 and now it doesn't seem to work at all. I was told by my pharmacist that Glaxo had begun production on a generic CR so I agreed to try it. " Wrong Move". I resumed the brand name immediately but I noticed that the generic looks identical to the brand. I may be a skeptic but could Glaxo be bottling generics in label bottles to maximize profits?"

BobbyJM (taken for 10 years or more) February 19, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Overall I'd say it worked for a bit. Not sure if I should have had my dosage increased when the side effects started back up, or if it was because I messed up my scheduling for taking it. It put my anxiety through the roof. More anxiety than I'd ever had naturally. I got it mostly for depression/possible bipolar, and it worked for the most part until the side effects kicked in, save for the random swells of depression that wouldn't last for more than two hours but felt so much worse than the stable depression I've had for years. I'd recommend it for someone who's better at keeping appointments than I am."

Briana H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil saved my life!! After marriage breakup and 3 children, a newborn and loss of home I went from 60kg to 44kg in 3 months, I couldn't eat or function. Started paxil, 1 month later woke up and felt fantastic, like I could conquered the world, got a job, had baby in day care, sold my car which I used for a house deposit, went for loan, success!! The kids are happy, studied achieved Bachelors degree, ALL WITH THE HELP OF PAXIL!!, please give this wonder drug time to work, took me 1 month and changed my life. Still on Paxil 10 years later and doing well in life, what a miracle drug, where would I have ended up without Paxil..."

paxillover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm 21 years of age and up to now, I've been taking 20 mg for the past 9 months. Since I was 16 or so I've suffered from, at least in the beginning what some may call 'smiling' depression, and what followed was chronic depression in my 20s. At 17-18 years of age I participated in cognitive behavioural therapy (coping mechanisms). I suffered frequent panic / anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts, etc. 19-21 went to college. Chronic depression hit hard and they put me on 20 mg Paxil. I have never felt better in my life. Usually it is difficult to realise when one is in such a state, and now that I can see things "clearly", I've excelled in school and in other social conditions. In Europe, the Gov't produces Paxil without a brand name. Cheap."

Lily-Rose January 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I 've taken paxil in the early 90s .After a bad relationship and drinking lots. It has helped with social anxiety to a point. But I have gone through crying periods that didn't seem right. It's soon to be Jan 1 2016 and I have noticed these electric shocks if I miss a day or 2. And also my memory has gone to crap as well . Is this drug habit forming Yes I'm a recovering cocaine addict and free base addict. I got off that but this plays with your brain worse ! We should be compensated for the use as guinea pigs and the torture we face to get off this medicine it does work but too much is unknown. "

countryswagget (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've taken 40 mg of paxil for anxiety and depression for 14 years and it was life changing. Slowly it hasn't been as effectIve and recently I felt as though I hadn't been taking anything at all. Now I'm back to where I was before paxil and feeling like an emotional mess. My Dr just increased my paxil to 50 mg and then if that doesn't work, she may have me try something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?"

Missy_74 (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "After going through a hurtful breakup and loosing my job I fell into darkness, life lost intrerest. I decided to try antidepressants. Doc prescribed Paxil. I read the reviews, most say it helps after taking it for awhile. Yesterday I took it at night. I couldn't sleep at all, after 3 hours I started to feel very weak, my head was heavy, I had an urge to stretch my whole body, lost appetite, but I did feel happier. Because it affects your serotonin, I started to think about my relationship more. All day I couldn't get out of bed, felt very weak, couldn't even walk, sleepy but can't sleep. Horrific feeling. Although I hear it helps eventually, I don't think it's worth the side effects. Bad experience."

FNYC (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "It helped withy my anxiety, which didn't go away but became manageable. I didn't see any improvements with my depression (my main symptoms are anhedonia and fatigue, the last one actually worsened). Getting out of 40mg was ok, just felt a bit anxious in the first days. I took paxil ~ 2 months"

El Cid (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

"PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE It worked amazingly for what they were prescribed for (anxiety, depression, eating disorders) at first, but coming off has been awful and the doctors don't warn you about it. Do not try to come off cold turkey! Withdrawal made me feel like there was electrical current in the back of my brain, and the longer I went without it, the shorter the intervals between the brain zaps are. I still get it sometimes, but only if I forget to take it. I became really unfocused and disorientated for 2 weeks. I couldn't have conversations or work - I had no attention span and couldn't function. I had to go back on them. They only go down to 20mg so I take halves, first every day, now every other. I've been trying to get off it for over 2 years"

Kjx November 27, 2015

"I used this medication for a solid 10 years, and it effectively dealt with my anxiety and depression; however, it made me very tired and I required a great deal more sleep than other people I knew. Weight gain and sexual side effects abounded, but I felt so good mentally that I was able to ignore this for a long time. This cut my obsessive thoughts out completely. I decided to wean off when I was trying to lose weight for my health and it just wasn't coming off. The weaning is a b*tch, and I weaned over several months' time, using liquid fluoxetine to come down incrementally. However, once I was entirely off the medication, my anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance."

armitage74 October 12, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "It was pretty efficient. within 3 months i had been out of my acute depressive episode, and full of life i hadn't experienced any increase in apetite as i was warned, and in fact it helped with my IBS a lot I was started on 25mg/day then 37.5mg/day for around 8 months after which I sought my doctor for Mania symtpoms i was experiencing very talktative, juggling thoughts, very rapid tone and rush of ideas when speaking, and most importantly insomnia!! anyhow, we had to emergency stop it, 25mg for 3 weeks then 12.5mg for one and then nothing WORST experience in the world it's very physically debilitating: nausea/ dizziniess/ wierd feeling ON my head had to take xanax to combat the withdrawal symptoms, couldnt leave the house for 2 mnoths!"

hibz September 22, 2015

"I have been on Paroxetine for a month now and I can say it has helped my depression and anxiety a lot. It stopped all of my suicidal and unhappy thoughts. The only negative thing I have to say is it causes me to have headaches."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have always felt like something was wrong for as long as I can remember. I think my depression is just normal to me and I've probably been depressed for many years without even knowing, just a feeling that something isn't right. A failed relationship a while back, heightened my realisation that something is wrong and the pain of losing someone close was like a final straw for me. I guess it might be true that everyone comes into your life for a reason, even if it is only meant to be for a short time. After countless months and days googling and doing tests online, trying to figure out what might be wrong with me, I finally got the courage to go see my doctor. After a few visits, he prescribed me Paxil and thinks this might help get me on the right track. You see my depression isn't the usual in that I try to go about my daily life as normal as I can, it's called walking or smiling depression. Behind it all though, I'm crippled with self doubt, negative thoughts, anxiety and constant feeling of sadness. I feel guilty a lot, distance myself from my family and friends regularly and sometimes feel so down I cry for what seems like no reason at all. I put on brave face to people and go about daily life as best I can, but behind the mask I am suffering. I never really felt like I fit in and it's like I have to try to act to be happy in every day situations. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm standing behind my shadow. I always look at other people and wonder what it's like to be just happy. I could never bring myself to telling anyone how I really felt, I guess it's only the last year or so that I became more aware and really accepting that something isn't right. It's been so long that I have felt this way, I really don't know what normal is anymore. I have lost 2 girlfriends largely due to my low self esteem and low confidence finally taking its toll on the relationship, it's like I just expected them to leave, who would want to stay with a loser like me is how I portrayed myself to them.. That's probably the hardest pill to swallow through all this. I know if I was mentally stronger, I could have held on to something good. I know I have it in me to go change my life around. Everybody sees it in me, but I feel trapped in my own body and mind. I have a lot of trouble concentrating and I seem to always be so indecisive about what action to take. I guess I'm wondering what I can expect from taking Paxil. I know I'm the only one who can physically make changes, but can I expect to regain some self confidence and motivation, energy etc? I really don't know what to expect from this drug and am apprehensive about what it can actually do for me. I guess part of me just wants to try do everything by myself, but I really don't want to waste another second of my life. I feel like I haven't properly lived for at least the last 5 years of my life. Thank you for reading."

Kenadams00 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Entire time on this medication is a bit of a blur. Has left me with a sun sensitivity whereas I am unable to go out in strong sunlight. If I do, my skin blisters, weeps and goes crusty. The itching is horrendous. Even though I have not taken this medication for over 7 years, the condition of sunsensitivity remains. I was an outdoors person - this has turned my life upside down and prevents me doing the one thing that makes me feel better. I have never been so angry. I don't know whether this medication kept me down or saw me through, as I was still totally depressed the entire time I was taking them, and felt blunted. I did not realize how bad my behaviour had been affected by the pills until some time after I had quit."

rebel hawker (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've just started on paxil. Doctor said take in morning but I've been horribly groggy and depressed. So I switched to taking it at night and there's an amazing difference! I'm energetic and I feel good this far. I can organize My thoughts and anxiety seems to be down abit but like I said just the begenning. Weight loss- paxil curbs my appetite!! It's great because I need to lose a lot of weight. I've lost about 6 pounds so far but I am also dieting, exercising, and actively trying to lose weight the appetite suppressant affect just help me a lot!"

Kimera July 31, 2015

"Taken for many years on and off. Has been effective in helping with depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I tried so many medications before like prozac and zoloft. I can't remember the rest but they made me sick or suicidal. I've been on Paxil CR 12.5 for 10 yrs and never increased and it is the best one for me. I cannot live my life without paxil. It has made me a better person, mother, sister, and friend."

RonnieLou63 June 12, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I began taking Paxil 'by choice' 15 years ago; when my panic and anxiety was out of control. I didn't realize I had always suffered from depression until I took this medicine.The very fist day I took the 20 mgs. I felt a calmness like never before.The first couple of weeks or so I felt a little zoned out; perhaps more depressed seeming. Looking back I think my depression was left on its own. It took a couple of weeks to improve that but it did. I was on it for 2 years before weaning off due to weight gain and thinking I was better. I fell back into severe depression and panic. Went back on it, tried to wean again. Same response. A third time put me in the hospital. 7 years later I still have to take meds but nothing has helped since paxil."

Marchbaby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "This drug made me feel super high. I felt like I was on meth, couldn't sleep and felt to intoxicated to drive. Quit after a few days."

B in CO May 20, 2015