User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Depression

Paxil (paroxetine): "Overall I'd say it worked for a bit. Not sure if I should have had my dosage increased when the side effects started back up, or if it was because I messed up my scheduling for taking it. It put my anxiety through the roof. More anxiety than I'd ever had naturally. I got it mostly for depression/possible bipolar, and it worked for the most part until the side effects kicked in, save for the random swells of depression that wouldn't last for more than two hours but felt so much worse than the stable depression I've had for years. I'd recommend it for someone who's better at keeping appointments than I am."

Briana H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil saved my life!! After marriage breakup and 3 children, a newborn and loss of home I went from 60kg to 44kg in 3 months, I couldn't eat or function. Started paxil, 1 month later woke up and felt fantastic, like I could conquered the world, got a job, had baby in day care, sold my car which I used for a house deposit, went for loan, success!! The kids are happy, studied achieved Bachelors degree, ALL WITH THE HELP OF PAXIL!!, please give this wonder drug time to work, took me 1 month and changed my life. Still on Paxil 10 years later and doing well in life, what a miracle drug, where would I have ended up without Paxil..."

paxillover (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I'm 21 years of age and up to now, I've been taking 20 mg for the past 9 months. Since I was 16 or so I've suffered from, at least in the beginning what some may call 'smiling' depression, and what followed was chronic depression in my 20s. At 17-18 years of age I participated in cognitive behavioural therapy (coping mechanisms). I suffered frequent panic / anxiety attacks, suicidal thoughts, etc. 19-21 went to college. Chronic depression hit hard and they put me on 20 mg Paxil. I have never felt better in my life. Usually it is difficult to realise when one is in such a state, and now that I can see things "clearly", I've excelled in school and in other social conditions. In Europe, the Gov't produces Paxil without a brand name. Cheap."

Lily-Rose January 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I 've taken paxil in the early 90s .After a bad relationship and drinking lots. It has helped with social anxiety to a point. But I have gone through crying periods that didn't seem right. It's soon to be Jan 1 2016 and I have noticed these electric shocks if I miss a day or 2. And also my memory has gone to crap as well . Is this drug habit forming Yes I'm a recovering cocaine addict and free base addict. I got off that but this plays with your brain worse ! We should be compensated for the use as guinea pigs and the torture we face to get off this medicine it does work but too much is unknown. "

countryswagget (taken for 10 years or more) December 29, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've taken 40 mg of paxil for anxiety and depression for 14 years and it was life changing. Slowly it hasn't been as effectIve and recently I felt as though I hadn't been taking anything at all. Now I'm back to where I was before paxil and feeling like an emotional mess. My Dr just increased my paxil to 50 mg and then if that doesn't work, she may have me try something else. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?"

Missy_74 (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "After going through a hurtful breakup and loosing my job I fell into darkness, life lost intrerest. I decided to try antidepressants. Doc prescribed Paxil. I read the reviews, most say it helps after taking it for awhile. Yesterday I took it at night. I couldn't sleep at all, after 3 hours I started to feel very weak, my head was heavy, I had an urge to stretch my whole body, lost appetite, but I did feel happier. Because it affects your serotonin, I started to think about my relationship more. All day I couldn't get out of bed, felt very weak, couldn't even walk, sleepy but can't sleep. Horrific feeling. Although I hear it helps eventually, I don't think it's worth the side effects. Bad experience."

FNYC (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "It helped withy my anxiety, which didn't go away but became manageable. I didn't see any improvements with my depression (my main symptoms are anhedonia and fatigue, the last one actually worsened). Getting out of 40mg was ok, just felt a bit anxious in the first days. I took paxil ~ 2 months"

El Cid (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

"PHYSICALLY ADDICTIVE It worked amazingly for what they were prescribed for (anxiety, depression, eating disorders) at first, but coming off has been awful and the doctors don't warn you about it. Do not try to come off cold turkey! Withdrawal made me feel like there was electrical current in the back of my brain, and the longer I went without it, the shorter the intervals between the brain zaps are. I still get it sometimes, but only if I forget to take it. I became really unfocused and disorientated for 2 weeks. I couldn't have conversations or work - I had no attention span and couldn't function. I had to go back on them. They only go down to 20mg so I take halves, first every day, now every other. I've been trying to get off it for over 2 years"

Kjx November 27, 2015

"I used this medication for a solid 10 years, and it effectively dealt with my anxiety and depression; however, it made me very tired and I required a great deal more sleep than other people I knew. Weight gain and sexual side effects abounded, but I felt so good mentally that I was able to ignore this for a long time. This cut my obsessive thoughts out completely. I decided to wean off when I was trying to lose weight for my health and it just wasn't coming off. The weaning is a b*tch, and I weaned over several months' time, using liquid fluoxetine to come down incrementally. However, once I was entirely off the medication, my anxiety and depression came back with a vengeance."

armitage74 October 12, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "It was pretty efficient. within 3 months i had been out of my acute depressive episode, and full of life i hadn't experienced any increase in apetite as i was warned, and in fact it helped with my IBS a lot I was started on 25mg/day then 37.5mg/day for around 8 months after which I sought my doctor for Mania symtpoms i was experiencing very talktative, juggling thoughts, very rapid tone and rush of ideas when speaking, and most importantly insomnia!! anyhow, we had to emergency stop it, 25mg for 3 weeks then 12.5mg for one and then nothing WORST experience in the world it's very physically debilitating: nausea/ dizziniess/ wierd feeling ON my head had to take xanax to combat the withdrawal symptoms, couldnt leave the house for 2 mnoths!"

hibz September 22, 2015

"I have been on Paroxetine for a month now and I can say it has helped my depression and anxiety a lot. It stopped all of my suicidal and unhappy thoughts. The only negative thing I have to say is it causes me to have headaches."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have always felt like something was wrong for as long as I can remember. I think my depression is just normal to me and I've probably been depressed for many years without even knowing, just a feeling that something isn't right. A failed relationship a while back, heightened my realisation that something is wrong and the pain of losing someone close was like a final straw for me. I guess it might be true that everyone comes into your life for a reason, even if it is only meant to be for a short time. After countless months and days googling and doing tests online, trying to figure out what might be wrong with me, I finally got the courage to go see my doctor. After a few visits, he prescribed me Paxil and thinks this might help get me on the right track. You see my depression isn't the usual in that I try to go about my daily life as normal as I can, it's called walking or smiling depression. Behind it all though, I'm crippled with self doubt, negative thoughts, anxiety and constant feeling of sadness. I feel guilty a lot, distance myself from my family and friends regularly and sometimes feel so down I cry for what seems like no reason at all. I put on brave face to people and go about daily life as best I can, but behind the mask I am suffering. I never really felt like I fit in and it's like I have to try to act to be happy in every day situations. It's hard to describe, but it's almost like I'm standing behind my shadow. I always look at other people and wonder what it's like to be just happy. I could never bring myself to telling anyone how I really felt, I guess it's only the last year or so that I became more aware and really accepting that something isn't right. It's been so long that I have felt this way, I really don't know what normal is anymore. I have lost 2 girlfriends largely due to my low self esteem and low confidence finally taking its toll on the relationship, it's like I just expected them to leave, who would want to stay with a loser like me is how I portrayed myself to them.. That's probably the hardest pill to swallow through all this. I know if I was mentally stronger, I could have held on to something good. I know I have it in me to go change my life around. Everybody sees it in me, but I feel trapped in my own body and mind. I have a lot of trouble concentrating and I seem to always be so indecisive about what action to take. I guess I'm wondering what I can expect from taking Paxil. I know I'm the only one who can physically make changes, but can I expect to regain some self confidence and motivation, energy etc? I really don't know what to expect from this drug and am apprehensive about what it can actually do for me. I guess part of me just wants to try do everything by myself, but I really don't want to waste another second of my life. I feel like I haven't properly lived for at least the last 5 years of my life. Thank you for reading."

Kenadams00 (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Entire time on this medication is a bit of a blur. Has left me with a sun sensitivity whereas I am unable to go out in strong sunlight. If I do, my skin blisters, weeps and goes crusty. The itching is horrendous. Even though I have not taken this medication for over 7 years, the condition of sunsensitivity remains. I was an outdoors person - this has turned my life upside down and prevents me doing the one thing that makes me feel better. I have never been so angry. I don't know whether this medication kept me down or saw me through, as I was still totally depressed the entire time I was taking them, and felt blunted. I did not realize how bad my behaviour had been affected by the pills until some time after I had quit."

rebel hawker (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've just started on paxil. Doctor said take in morning but I've been horribly groggy and depressed. So I switched to taking it at night and there's an amazing difference! I'm energetic and I feel good this far. I can organize My thoughts and anxiety seems to be down abit but like I said just the begenning. Weight loss- paxil curbs my appetite!! It's great because I need to lose a lot of weight. I've lost about 6 pounds so far but I am also dieting, exercising, and actively trying to lose weight the appetite suppressant affect just help me a lot!"

Kimera July 31, 2015

"Taken for many years on and off. Has been effective in helping with depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2015

Paxil CR (paroxetine): "I tried so many medications before like prozac and zoloft. I can't remember the rest but they made me sick or suicidal. I've been on Paxil CR 12.5 for 10 yrs and never increased and it is the best one for me. I cannot live my life without paxil. It has made me a better person, mother, sister, and friend."

RonnieLou63 June 12, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I began taking Paxil 'by choice' 15 years ago; when my panic and anxiety was out of control. I didn't realize I had always suffered from depression until I took this medicine.The very fist day I took the 20 mgs. I felt a calmness like never before.The first couple of weeks or so I felt a little zoned out; perhaps more depressed seeming. Looking back I think my depression was left on its own. It took a couple of weeks to improve that but it did. I was on it for 2 years before weaning off due to weight gain and thinking I was better. I fell back into severe depression and panic. Went back on it, tried to wean again. Same response. A third time put me in the hospital. 7 years later I still have to take meds but nothing has helped since paxil."

Marchbaby (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 26, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "This drug made me feel super high. I felt like I was on meth, couldn't sleep and felt to intoxicated to drive. Quit after a few days."

B in CO May 20, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil for 3 weeks. Previously I was on Lexapro and it worked well, however, I wanted to quit smoking, so was switched to Paxil. I have noticed I am sleeping all night through without getting up at 2 or 3 am and staying up the rest of the night. I do however have the vertigo, but, I have suffered from vertigo for 20 years so I cannot actually attribute that to the Paxil. I also have the appetite loss! I can only eat 1/3 of what I ate previously. So far, so good. I have no problem taking a med for my depression, no different than a heart condition, just much harder to treat! Hoping it keeps going good!"

kmspots March 5, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was wondering why I had irregular bowel movements for quite some time. I went to Dr. after Dr. explaining my symptoms (constipation, bloating, back pain, dark stool.) Most of them thought I had IBS or an allergy to gluten. I had these symptoms from 2009 till recently. After some thought I decided to switch my medication. My Psychologist wrote me a new prescription and I started to ween of the paxil. 2 weeks into my new medication schedule I started to feel 1000 times better! I go to the bathroom daily now just as a healthy person should. In fact, it seems like my body is trying to make up for lost time. Needless to say, Paxil I feel is the cause of my extreme constipation."

7mike3 March 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been on Paxil now for about 10 years. My dosage was 20 milligrams for a long time. Within the last two months I was feeling emotionless. I finally went to my doctor today and described my feelings to her. She changed my dosage to 40 milligrams. I feel better already! If it wasn't for Paxil I would be a basket case like I was before I went on it. I no longer have panic attacks and very little anxiety now. For those who are having a bad experience with Paxil...don't give up. You may need a different dosage or an entirely different antidepressant. Mental fragility is nothing to take lightly. Keep asking for help until you get it. Good luck to all of you."

drkatie2 December 22, 2014

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil was the first antidepressant I was put on when I was first diagnosed with depression roughly a year and a half ago. While it did stop the suicidal thoughts, the side effects were just not worth it for me. It made me tired ALL THE TIME. And not just kind of sleepy. It was more like I could get a full nights rest, wake up, and not half an hour later feel so exhausted that if I laid down on the ground I could take a nap right there. It also took away my ability to orgasm. I'm a 21 y/o (20 at the time) college girl who is a pretty sexually open person. So to say I was not down to never have another orgasm while on it would be a huge understatement. Did work, but not worth the side effects."

Redhead0893 December 6, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "This was the only medicine I could take and didn't have a care or worry in the world."

luck1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2014

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have been taking this for 6 -7 months. It works good for me but when I miss 1 or 2 days my mood it's really high. I will fight or yell, but when I take it to cool down it works. I was 147lbs when I started it and now I'm 127lbs. I have lost a lot and I'm happy. I eat a lot but when I do eat its just a little. Sometime I even forget to drink or eat anything on this pill but I like it as long as I take it everyday I'm happy."

l3x (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "Even through this medicine helps you to get over with some issues that you struggle in your everyday life, it doesn't really help you at all in terms of your depressive thoughts and depression itself."

J. Pinkman (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2014