User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Review by PanicednotManic (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have taken Paxil on and off my entire adult life. I have always stuck to a low dose at 10MG a day. I do not have depression, I am just a very sensitive especially in times of high stress, and panic attacks start to take over my life. I had to put my degree on hold, I missed out on vacations with my family, and my professional life suffered as well. Paxil calms my nerves. It keeps me in check so I don't freak out in times of stress. The side effects do exist, but keeping a low dose helps. My libido is affected a bit, I do get dizzy from time to time, and I also have dry mouth. At 10mg a day, once I feel like I am in control again (usually 8 months to a year of being on the medicine) I can stop without any of the bad withdrawals.

March 18, 2014 1:56 PM
Review by EmilioEstavas (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): My entire life since a young child I've been fighting post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression. I didn't even know it until I was about 22. I was in a very bad car accident and it changed my life and worsened my anxiety. My panic attacks were so bad I'd be just sobbing and screaming and crying and freaking out in waves throughout the whole day. I finally sucked up my pride and admitted something was wrong and I needed to see a Doctor. I went and he immediately put me on 20 mg dose. It was great I did calm down quite a bit and when I'd have flashbacks it came without panic attacks. It's been a year and I've hit the poop-out. I was at 40mg 4 months ago and now I'm at 5mg and take Wellbutrin XL for this last month to regain my energy. ITS WORKING.

February 24, 2014 6:29 PM
Review by A1990: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): After trying a few medications my psychiatrist put me on Paxil. I felt like it DID help with my anxiety and depression but that came with a price -- drowsiness, huge loss of libido, and horrible withdrawal symptoms. I was always lethargic and never wanted to go out and do anything, but I felt less anxiety and depression. I would literally go 7 days without sex (with my partner of 3 years) because I just didn't feel like it and I could definitely feel the negative toll it was taking on our relationship but luckily he stuck with me. After getting fed up with the intense side effects, I quit cold turkey -- huuuuge mistake. I felt like I had the flu and the brain zaps were never ending.

February 12, 2014 12:03 PM
Review by goldminer (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have depression I suffered for many years in the dark big time. I was too scared to say anything. I finally had to say something. I am a male of course (got to hide those feelings). Things were getting very very bad. I talked to my doctor and a shrink and got me on 20 mgs of Paxil 15 years ago and it really does help with the hell I felt within for years. Please be patient. Hang in there one day at a time if I can do it you can too. I was really bad from what docs say. It takes time to adjust to the medicine but well worth it. Drinking and not taking reasonable care of yourself won't help at all. Live a cleaner life does make a difference. No guilt. The side effects are for me constipation and a bit of brain fog.

February 5, 2014 12:12 AM
Review by Punkey: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I felt so much less anxious initially, so foolishly, and with doctors encouragement, I stayed on Paxil for 3-4 years. Two months ago, I started to ween myself off this medicine very slowly. I have never felt so bad in my 72 years of life. At first, I felt it must be the flu though I'd had a flu shot in November of last year (13). The withdrawal symptoms of nausea, vomiting, hot flashes. Not thinking clearly, fatigue, extremely vivid and frightening dreams, dizziness, and depression lasted 5-6 days. My doctor recommended that I go back on Paxil at half a tablet initially, and then a whole tablet after a week. So it has been two weeks now of my taking a 40mg. Dose each evening. I tried documenting my terrible experience.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2014 12:22 PM
Review by Happy on tennessee: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I started Paxil 37.5 mg ER. 2 weeks ago! I have never felt this good.

January 29, 2014 5:29 PM
Review by Pebzz: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): My journey started around 17yrs ago when pregnant I suffered an episode and was put in hospital as my son was due, they gave me 150mg straight off of clomipramine, you can imagine how comatosed I was. Over the next few years I had many crashes on this drug, then about 7 years ago a dr prescribed Paxil, best thing could ever have happened, the positives out weigh the negatives with the side effects, I'm on 15mg would love to reduce again one day, but I'm happy to be stable and of sound mind.

January 20, 2014 4:32 AM
Review by Whalla (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have been on Paxil for two weeks and so far nothing. I take 10 mg in morning and another 12 hours later. I hope it kicks in soon. My anxiety has topped out causing my depression to increase. I have lost my appetite, lost 14 lbs. Seeing a psychologist in a week. I'm a mess.

January 3, 2014 3:34 PM
Review by cranky1234 (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil is good medication when it kicks in, side effects for me are nausea, upset stomach but with time it goes away.

December 19, 2013 8:41 AM
Review by IrishKat: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Let me start off by saying that NOT EVERYONE reacts the same way to the same medication. NOW that being said, Paxil was a LIFE SAVER for me! I am 30 now, and I started taking Paxil when I was 19. The first medication Dr. tried for me was Zoloft, which made my Anxiety get SO much worse! I was terrified to being with feeling CONSTANT WORRY, fast heartbeat, racing thoughts. So after 3 days of Zoloft I quit, went back to my doctor and we tried Paxil. IT SAVED MY LIFE, I felt the unneeded worries of the world lift off of my back, racing thoughts stopped, my heartbeat slowed, I could organize my thoughts. It was like I had calmed down for the first time in my life AND IT WORKED IN HOURS FOR ME(don't expect same results, but you never know!).

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 24, 2013 7:56 AM
Review by Jamielynn84: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): This is my second time taking Paxil. For me, it is the only medication that has been effective in treating my anxiety. I've taken just about every medication for anxiety over the past 10 years. In my early 20s, I took Paxil for about 6 months and experienced sexual side effects but only gained about 5lbs. It was horrible to come off of Paxil and I experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea. I am currently 29 and I started taking Paxil again about 5 months ago due to increased anxiety. While it has been effective in helping me to lead a normal life with minimal anxiety, it has caused horrible weight gain. I gained 15lbs in the past 3 months which is a lot for my petite frame at 5.1'. Due to the weight gain I am currently attempting stop

November 17, 2013 5:24 PM
Review by bryan johnson (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Well, the first time I had a major attack they put me on xanax but it messed with my head really badly and I had memory issues. My discharge papers noted that while medicated by it I had little to no acknowledgement of externally inflicted bodily harm/pain. What I do remember is waking up the next day with a swollen ankle and multiple bruises that hurry like hell from walking into things or just letting the car door close on me. Later, someone recommended me this treatment, and I%u2019m very grateful with it, i can go anywhere i want without problem, no anxiety, no panic attacks, I'm a new person.

November 12, 2013 7:46 AM
Review by jbat2007 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): My body was wrecked with anxiety and depression. I thought I was going to lose my mind .Five days days on paxil and I'm a new person

November 9, 2013 10:37 PM
Review by anxious11111: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Had severe panic attacks and agoraphobia out of nowhere. P doc put me on paxil. Really rough start up symptoms. Dizzy, SUPER spacey, lethargic, bad sweats. After a week or two at 30 mg I stabilized. Anxiety was a bit better, but still pretty bad. Eventually went off it because I was so lethargic and spacey. Felt depressed because I was such a zombie and didn't get excited or wanted to do anything.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 1, 2013 8:44 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have taken Paxil for years, my insurance company stopped paying for it, and the pharmacy put me on the generic, the worst thing that could have happened in three days I was an hysterical wreck (I was taking the generic). I started thinking of suicide. Someone else pointed out above something very important, if you miss a couple of days the side effects (withdrawal) is awful, I was never so sick in my life. If you can take the generic, great otherwise it is very very expensive, and NEVER forget to take it.

October 15, 2013 3:44 PM
Review by Happytochat (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

paroxetine: I have just weaned myself off, it has taken me about 2 months. Firstly I cut down to half a tablet for a month then half every other day. The side effects aren't great I felt a lot of vertigo, dizziness and headaches, but finally nearly 2 weeks and I am feeling great! I never in my life thought I would need tablets but sometimes we need a little help. Paroxetine has helped me get back to me. I tell people now its OK to ask for help. I am so glad that I did ask and have tried and now if I need them again in life I wouldn't hesitate.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 12, 2013 5:42 PM
Review by g7q9w5l2d3 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

paroxetine: Wonderful, best thing ever to happen to me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 15, 2013 9:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I have been on Paxil for 16 years now. I have always been really anxious throughout my life and it came to the point where it was affecting everything I did. Paxil has changed my life for the better and has really worked well for me. I plan on staying on it.

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 29, 2013 12:12 PM
Review by dc1530 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine): I am trying to increase my Paxil dosage from 20 mg to 30 mg. I started in February and it still hasn't kicked in. Doctor gave me Clonazapem 3-1/2 months ago and it helped, but I stopped cold turkey per the doctor and I have been dealing with withdrawal side effects since then. Hopefully, Paxil will fully take effect soon. Each day is a struggle and it has wore me down waiting on the Paxil. I don't intend on taking any new medications if I can help it.

June 3, 2013 11:21 AM
Review by Brandi Mae: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil has been very helpful with my anxiety, I'm not so tired and am much happier. The only bad thing I have to say about it is if you miss 2 days or more of it- it has the worst side effects I requested a refill to late (so it was my own fault) but I got shocking feelings in my head and finger tips I was light headed all the time and there were a few day I would wake up from a nights sleep and automatically start crying for no reason. I'm still on it and intend on still using it. Just make sure there's no room for cold turkey off of Paxil

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 16, 2013 10:53 PM
Review by Bradley (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Pexeva (paroxetine): I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. I take a combination of Seroquel and Pexeva, the two have had a substantial benefit to my condition. I used to be unable to function out in public and private, now I feel more at ease with myself, free going, and less worrying. The side effects however, are very noticeable. Pexeva often makes me feel drowsy and impotent. Its effects have made it harder to focus on everyday work due to it making me feel more relaxed. However I feel that the amount of relief it has given me is outstanding.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 1, 2013 1:34 AM
Review by Some guy: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I started Paxil last week. First pills I've taken my whole life, I'm 24. It appears to be working. The 5th day I felt really up beat and good! So far I'm satisfied. No panic, anxiety or depression.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 1, 2013 1:14 AM
Review by Haley22: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Paxil has helped me out immensely. At first I was really scared to try it because I was reading tons of bad experiences online, but then I decided I needed to do it. Well when I first started it I had a few side effects like the speedy feelings, the restlessness, the lack of appetite, and lack of sex drive and orgasm. Now I have been on them for 2 months and it is working out so great! I have not had any really bad side effects, and the ones that were there when I first started taking it are gone. This medicine has made my life so much more bearable and worked out great for me!

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2013 6:26 PM
Review by Hope4u (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): About 6-8 weeks ago my doc prescribed 10 mg paxil (Now up to 20 mg) & 0.25 Xanax. The first few weeks I was very, very fatigued! But since I was depressed, I was okay with sleeping the rest of the day after returning home from school. I did experience headaches, nausea, increased anxiety (Xanax helped alleviate anxiety). Within the last 2 weeks, I haven't taken Xanax, my anxiety has dramatically decreased! Depression has also decreased. A few months ago I was scared to leave the house, be around people, an emotional wreck, no motivation to work out. Now I'm happy to go to school, exercise, and be social again. Keep praying and hang in there!

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 15, 2013 9:05 PM
Review by Yell (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): I started Paxil 1 week ago and I have only had one little attack. It has given me more energy for work! But I do find myself going home after work and taking a nap! The only bad thing about it so far is I'm clenching my jaw a lot causing my back teeth to hurt and can't really chew that well, may be why I am losing weight also! But it has made my life a lot easier so far! From before I'd have to miss work because of my anxiety!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2013 9:33 AM