User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Paroxetine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Paroxetine to treat Anxiety

Paxil (paroxetine): "Crippling, horrible anxiety brought on by menopause. Couldn't take hormones. I went through heck trying many antidepressants. One smart doctor tried me on lowest dose of generic Paxil, never changed the dose, allowed my system to get used to it. It worked like a charm! I am able to work full time and do anything I want. The side effects are minimal for me. Yes, I gained some weight but now enjoy taking walks to exercise. No regrets about trying this med at all. Life saver!"

Ann10 May 1, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Panic attacks and anxiety were completely gone, but with that came tons of side effects. I gained over 40 pounds and it was IMPOSSIBLE lose until getting off of Paxil. No sex drive and couldn't orgasm at all while on it. It made me a little zombie-like, I didn't have any low emotions but not any high ones either. Coming off of it gave me extreme symptoms like headaches, loss of appetite, sore muscles, insomnia, mood swings, and weird violent thoughts. Will all be worth it though once I'm over the withdrawal period. Positive withdrawal symptom: Weight loss!!"

beckbeck17 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was put on this medication for anxiety that I experienced suddenly. My initial panick atattack was so bad that I had throat paralysis. I could not make myself swallow, scariest thing ever. I was on paxil 20mg for 6 months before I stopped. The medication helped with the anxiety but the zero sex drive, constantly sleepy feeling and deep yawns with vivid crazy dreams along with 15 pound weight gain was terrible and not worth it."

jennlynn16 April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Social anxiety involved with my job was causing insomnia and a feeling of constant dread. I take 20 mg. Here is how it affects me: I no longer lay awake at night worrying about the next day. However, I now wake up several times a night on Paxil, but always quickly fall back to sleep. So overall, this is a great improvement in sleep for me. Oddly, my dreams are now very vivid. I have actually woken up laughing. Rather than fearing social interaction, now at worst I am mildly annoyed by it. I have not been transformed to a gregarious person, but social interaction it something I no longer fear facing. Other side effects: mild constipation, less prone to anger, 80% loss in sexual interest, and alcohol has more of an effect"

52.yr.old.male April 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have taken paxil on and off for roughly 17 years. I thought it was helping and that the anxiety, moodiness and feeling a bit zoned out was normal and hormones. But 10 months ago I changed to Zoloft due to a pregnancy and I feel like a new person. My husband was the first to notice it! My stress levels have decreased hugely and I'm much calmer and life is much easier."

Little Joey March 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I've been on 10 mg for years, over 10 for anxiety. I'm at the point now where my 30 script will last 2-3 months and take it 1 out of 3 days. It worked for me, changed my life for the better. A few side effects but manageable."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was struck with crippling anxiety and panic attacks when I was 20, I am now 37.I was prescribed Paxil and started on 20 mg. Stayed on the med for 6 months. It didn't do anything for me but make me a robot, phased out of my own life and like I was just on auto pilot. I informed my doctor that I wanted to opt out and that I didn't want to try any other meds. So I dropped to 10 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg and off. The reason why I am writing this after 17 years is because I started having abnormal heart beats, Tachycardia, while getting off of the med, as soon as I dropped to 10mg. Even though I got through the anxiety and am completely free today, the Tachycardia remains. There are much safer options today."

Galarnix March 2, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Been having anxiety since 15 and was always prescribed Paxil since it always worked great for me. Decided to get off of it thinking I was good to go and just this past xmas I got all my anxiety back after being off the pill for almost year. I'm 25 and decided to try something diff just because if I wanted to get pregnant and they gave me lexapro. I can tell you lexapro has helped but is nothing like Paxil nor as quick as Paxil. Definitely going to ask for Paxil back again when I see my doc next week. I've been on lexapro for 5 weeks today."

Sonyarez09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 11, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil has become my latest drug to combat frontal traumatic brain injury (tbi). benzo drugs works good. but they thought they were addicting. well just look up all the people that have tried to quit paxil!!!. Its a nightmare. In my opinion these drugs should be banned to treat people with TBI!!!. If you want to take a drug and later it quits working, what are you going to do? good luck because TBI sucks and there is nothing besides benzo drugs that help. I have had mild TBI for 36 years. Don't let them get you on paxil. I think its bad but don't believe only me - look on the iternet before you take them. I sure wish i did!!!. Good luck its the worst thing I have ever had to deal with. "

miltary January 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Started 20mg of paxil 3 weeks ago after coming of effexor. At the moment I get a lot of anxiety throughout the day & sweating. Hope this starts to go soon as its still very early days."

minnie58 January 31, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took it for a week and could fall asleep at the drop of a hat...and I couldn't afford to being like that. If you had to work all day all week and sometimes be up during the night. Paxil may work for some, but made me WAY to drowsy. My psychiatrist switched me over to 100mg Zoloft and while that was somewhat better, she also put me on a 150mg Wellbutrin (zoloft Wellbutrin commonly called "Welloft"). Paxil was no good to me and quite possibly the worst to get off of."

OCD+GAD+PDD (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "This medication has been extremely helpful to me. 7 months ago, I developed IBS, which made me very nervous about my stomach. I slowly became nervous about everything, not knowing that my anxiety was more than just " little worries." I was afraid to go to important events, thinking something bad could suddenly happen to me all the time. My mother was noticing these changes in my personality, so then made me go to a therapist. That was when I was suggested to be put on Paxil. I was afraid to take Paxil, but when I was finally forced to, I noticed changes within a week with just 5mg. I moved up to 10mg, and everyone could see changes in how I acted everywhere. I am currently still on 10mg, but even a little can do a lot, even for you!"

KA2353 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have tried most SSRIs and some SNRIs. Paxil was indeed the most effective for me with my anxiety symptoms. By now you have probably read the horror stories on the internet about coming off of it. Indeed this happened to me. It was horrible. I went off of it because I thought I was better and ended up off of work because my symptoms got so bad. This was because I was being followed by a GP who did not know about discontinuation syndrome (early 2000s). However, I wouldn't write this drug off necessarily. After the discontinuation hell I experienced I was referred to a psychiatrist who used the taper to Prozac method to get me off of Paxil.This method worked for me. Hope this may help someone to know about it."

upatreereadingabook (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Paxil works great for me but it took 3 months for it to work. That's not surprising however my body has always taken a long time to get used to/accept drugs. My start up side effects were extreme fatigue, excessive yawning, derealization, depersonalization, depression and apathy(apathy and depression could've been a result for the anxiety and not the paxil) . One day while at work it just hit me and I started feeling better happier but not 100%. I'm currently at 30mg which seems to work fine. The only bad thing about being on Paxil for me is the sexual side effects(it is really hard to climax! uhg) Otherwise, I feel fine. In fact, I even have vivid dreams, which for me is nice, and more energy."

Msavvy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

"I use to take this drug when I had severe anxiety and depression disorder. My doctor changed my dosage as needed and I took anywhere from 10-40mg at a time. I eventually stopped taking it with my serious side effects and was doing good until recently when I started taking 10mg again. I started getting chest heaviness, numbness and tingling in my arms, hands, feet and head. Leg pain at night. Back pain. Ice pick headaches, heavy headedness, dizziness, weakness. Numbness in throat and trouble swallowing, complete loss in sex drive and unable to orgasm, and I think, white vaginal discharge and severe anxiety. I find most symptoms are worse the first few hours after taking it. I don't know why it's doing this now and not before."

Red14 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

Paxil (paroxetine): "Took a single Paxil pill and felt immediately sick within two hours or taking it. This "sick" feeling lasted for a solid week. I thought that I probably just got the flu at the same time I started taking Paxil, so I tried it again. Nope, still made me feel sick. I didn't think it was possible to get every single common side effect listed from taking one pill, but I guess I was wrong."

Alwaysanxious December 30, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I have always had anxiety ever since Iwas young but this past summer I was so bad I couldn't go anywhere or do anything. I was even at the point I didn't want to leave the house I was so depressed. I didn't know what I was going to do and I was ruining my daughters and husbands life so I went to the doctor and she put me on paxil 30 mg. I didn't want to take it cause I never take pills not even for a headache and was scared how it was going to make me feel. But I took it and it changed my life after about a month I could go places and enjoyed life again with God and my family's help I am doing so much better I still have some days I don't feel good but i don't let it get me down so if anyone is struggling with anxiety there is help out there"

heavenly sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine): "This pill has changed my life. I had no idea how bad I suffered from anxiety until I started taking this. I take 20mg a day and after a month I noticed a huge change. It's been 2 months now and I feel like myself again. I'm so glad I decided to see my doctor and get help. I can't believe I lived for so long being so miserable. I have so much fun now doing things I couldn't do when dealing with my anxiety. I love going out and meeting new people when before I could barely leave the house to grab the mail without having crazy fears. I am able to talk about my anxiety openly to anyone now too which is a huge change. The only problem I have is sleeping, which my doctor had to prescribe another drug for that."

Jenb13 December 4, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "This medication has worked for me for over five years. I started taking it for anxiety but it has also helped me with my extreme shyness. It throws a wet blanket over your emotions. It does reduce both the highs and lows and evens out your emotions."

Bbelement November 22, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I took this about 3 years ago for a massive mental breakdown I was having panic attacks multiple times a day I couldn't get out of bed I couldn't leave the house I couldn't eat I couldn't do anything I was prescribed this and ativan and eventually after probably a month of horrid horrible experience I started to come out of my anxiety depression all of it I came off of the drug probably a couple months later and was completely fine for about 2 years with just normal anxiety that I could manage. I tried it again a couple weeks ago for the same reason and it was hell was suicidal within the first 3 days in every side effect I can think of I discontinued immediately now looking for something else "

Arielle828ddss? November 18, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "My physician prescribed me 20mg of paxil daily when I saw her for anxiety/depression. The first couple of days I had trouble sleeping and had a lot of energy, but no anxiety. This drug definitely reduced my anxiety and I felt more sociable, but after a month or so I noticed that I couldn't focus and I started to lose motivation to do anything and had no energy. I felt more depressed than before I had started the medication, and on my days off from work I would end up sleeping all day. Quit cold turkey whike taking 5-htp and experienced the brain zaps for a couple days, but now I feel like myself again. I can't recommend this med. I think exercise and good diet are more effective at improving my mood."

Romy333 November 16, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): ""I have GAD, and after three years of taking care of my younger brother who has severe GAD as well as going through an episode of pyschosis, I was told by my pdoc that I have "caregiver's burnout". I was prescribed 20 mgs of Paxil every day and 15mg of Buspirone (Buspar) twice a day. It has been nearly a month now on these meds and I do see an improvement. I'm not sure which one is helping me more but my anxiety level has gone from an 8 or 9 every day to about a 5. I hope to see continued improvement.""

JTChase November 6, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I am on Paxil for 10 years and I can't live without it"

Phurriz November 3, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "Worked great for anxiety. I was calling 911 thinking I was dying that's how bad it was. I tried a bunch of SSRI's. Paxil suppressed all my feelings which took the anxiety away. But made me impotent Not a good result for me."

Ericlh100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2015

Paxil (paroxetine): "I was givin paxil by my doctor, and It works wonders. It is rare that I even feel most anxiety, and I haven't had an attack in months. I've been on it a couple years and have yet to feel it stop working. BUT, do not take this if you aren't willing to have a long time commitment with it. One thing the doctor won't tell you about straight up is the withdrawal. I've tried to come off of paxil, out of frustration mostly at the withdrawal effects, and all I can describe it as is a living hell. Confusion blurred vision, brain zaps, vertigo, nausea, depression, increased anxiety, etc. Not for the faint of heart. If you can, go with something else."

Linds mcc October 14, 2015