Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 40 medications

Depression 116 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 464 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by SaraxoJDqt (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Took this med for a month at 20mg and I was one of those who began to notice positive effects overnight. It improved my mood exponentially and since I've never had a sex drive (from depression) I actually gained one while on Paxil. Sex was much more pleasurable. Unfortunately I thought I could find a med that was even BETTER, so was put on Cymbalta and Abilify, but have had miniscule improvements. Tomorrow I'm going to start back up on the Paxil.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 27, 2012 8:33 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: I have been going through menopause for over 8 years now. I have tried everything during that time. Each medicine worked for a certain time frame, then it was no longer effective. After reading a research study about the effects of Paxil to ease hot flashes I decided to give it a try. Paxil knocked the severe flashes out while decreasing the frequency and severity of the flashes that still occur. Also, Paxil calmed my stress/anxiety which also contributed to the decrease in frequency.

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2012 8:51 AM

Review by Rappman (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I went to my primary doctor for a check up. I told him that I just was not feeling right. He referred me to the mental health clinic. The doctor there asked me a lot of questions about how I felt, was I suicidal. Discussed my military life. And any combat experience. That was to check on PTSD. She started me on Paxil. I had the usual side effects of dry mouth, couldn't sleep, excessive urination, constipation, and diarrhea. But I got over the side effects when my body got used to the medication. One of the main problems with this medication is that I cannot get an erection and cannot orgasm.

September 8, 2012 10:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Panic Disorder: I have just started taking paroxetine. I'm on my 8 day suffering some side affects such as mood swings nervousness hopefully it will get better soon, I'll let you know.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2012 5:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Simply amazing. This pill really has helped me gain control of my once terrible anxiety disorder. Sure, it made me gain a LITTLE bit of weight, but my mental health is worth those 5lbs! It's very effective, without turning me into a zombie. I can function normally, and even better than I have in a long time.

August 13, 2012 3:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I don't think Paxil ever worked for me and it always made me feel really bad but I think my social anxiety was a lot better but I feel much better now without Paxil and I'm on Zeldox and Lamictal but I'm getting pretty bad anxiety so I'm trying to find a good medication for anxiety and especially social anxiety because it makes me feel really bad at university. I was on Paxil, Risperdal, Lamictal and Zeldox before and I was always extremely tired and I think I'm less tired now but I can't remember how tired I was before and I was on Paxil when I was 13 and it also made me feel really bad and didn't do anything for my depression and it didn't help. I'm 24 now.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 27, 2012 9:01 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've tried almost all the anxiety medications out there. Paxil and Effexor XR are the only ones that work on me.

July 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Review by mwm1998medicaded (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: The only medication that stops most of the noise and unnecessary thoughts in my head.

June 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Review by discochick (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I was prescribed this medication initially for depression and then along with another medication for atypical depression and panic disorder. I had to give it some stars because it did help with the anxiety. Problem was I had no life. No sex drive. Emotionally flat. Slept 12-16 hrs a day (I craved sleep all the time) and ate non stop eventually gaining 80 lbs. Finally my husband encouraged me to go off it. I tapered the dose and experienced brain zaps and generally weird feelings for several weeks.

May 31, 2012 6:41 PM

Review by traleen (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Changed my life. Confidence, weight loss, anxiety-free.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2012 10:53 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Before Paxil I had used multiple medication for anxiety and depression and they would mellow me out but I didn't really feel "better". After starting Paxil I can honestly say I'm the happiest I have been in years and my coping skills are greatly improved. I feel healthy again, my appetite is back to normal, I don't look sickly anymore and I can sleep. Paxil was the miracle for me.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2012 3:58 PM

Review by jrbogey (taken for 10 years or more):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety for approximately 30 years and have been on Paxil for about 10. What a difference it has made in my life. I would recommend this medicine to anyone who is suffering from Anxiety. I also suffer from panic disorder and just carrying Xanax with me has helped alleviate my attacks. Only have to take it once in awhile now....Also...working out more has really helped with stress and a great preventative and with a little of the weight gain from Paxil. Take care.

May 22, 2012 3:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: I have always had a depressive nature, increasing at middle age. I went on to Paroxetine 10mg, after a particularly stressful time at work. After about 6 weeks of ups and downs, things stabilized for me and my depression subsided to almost nothing. Of particular interest to me was that my social awareness disorder also reduced dramatically. Often at meetings, where I'd now speak up without hesitation, I would think to myself "hey, is this really me?" Unfortunately my depression prevailed, possibly because of my long term Type 2 diabetes. As a stressful period arose, I upped my dose to 20mg. It seemed to help for a little while. My lower than expected rating is because of how difficult it is to get off this, even to reduce the dosage.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2012 12:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: While paroxetine tended to keep my depression at bay; I wasn't functioning at a good level emotionally. Was on 20mg for approximately 4years, then 40mg for 3 months. When dosage was upped, I had major depressive episode (pretty much stayed in bed for 3 weeks) and realized that I had experiencing basically a "flat aspect" for quite some time. Also gained 20 lbs (105 to 125) in the 3 months on the 40mg. Horrible brain zaps if I missed a dose (20 or 40). Went back to 20mg for a week and have switched to Effexor (37.5/7days, then will be on 75mg daily). Mild zings and zaps for past few days as I've switched to the Effexor; was expecting a MUCH more horrendous transition as my zaps were extremely strong in the past.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2012 1:46 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: My general doctor gave me Paxil when I told her I had been having panic attacks and anxiety. I started on 10mg and when I hadn't noticed a difference after 6 weeks she upped the dose to 20mg. I still have anxiety day to day, and feel the beginning of a panic attack a lot, but am not able to go through with it. Sex drive completely gone. All I want to do is sleep. Depression worsened. This is not for me.

April 10, 2012 4:44 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: While this medicine may not be for everyone, it's helped me immensely. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I was having intense mood swings where I'd alternate between being so anxious I couldn't sleep for days and then so depressed I couldn't get myself out of bed in the morning. I felt like I didn't matter anymore and that I could stay in bed all day since no one would realize I wasn't there. I started out on 10mg of Paxil for 4 days before increasing to 20mg. After a few weeks the effects started to wear off and I fell into a deep depression, so my dosage increased to 30mg a day. I take it before bed, and all my insomnia problems have gone away. It's done wonders for me. I have my life back.

April 6, 2012 12:19 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil helped me a great deal. Took around 6 weeks to work but well worth the wait. I feel like a new person, highly recommended.

April 6, 2012 10:04 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Paxil worked absolute wonders for me for six years until 'pooping out' last year. After a disastrous few months on Zoloft I returned to paroxetine which again has made me 'return' to my old self. My alcohol increase (due to work issues) was almost certainly the cause for the medicine becoming ineffective and my return to anxiety and depression. Many reviews claim SSRI's don't work as well the 2nd time which is slightly true. I feel normal again without the 'serotonin high' I had first time around. Paxil/paroxetine is a miracle for me and though it has killed my sex drive and gained my weight slightly I cannot imagine life without.

April 3, 2012 4:46 PM

Review by fthtshy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: This medicine made me emotionless. For the first couple of months I was fine and now I can't be happy when I want to or sad when I want to. I also have no sex drive. I'm on Paxil for anxiety, but because it works as a mood stabilizer as well it took away my personality.

March 31, 2012 7:17 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Have had problems with social anxiety since I was a teenager and I must say after trying Paxil, Seroquel, Zoloft and Wellbutrin, Paxil is by far the best. Only big catch is don't miss a dose you will have a panic attack.

March 27, 2012 3:49 PM

For Anxiety and Stress: Paroxetine does it's job. Tried others but found them to "numb" emotional feelings!

March 13, 2012 10:57 AM

Review by slyla:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on it for a few days now in an attempt to get off Zoloft. I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety as a result of PMDD. Today I took a very low dose while tapering off Zoloft and its not pleasurable at all. I'm nauseous, extreme dry mouth and severe anxiety. I work with the public and felt so jittery that I couldn't work. I am willing to tough it out with some support and compassion from my family, friends and co-workers but I don't like feeling like something is controlling my ability to function. I really hope it improves.

March 10, 2012 6:30 PM

Review by interpreter 101:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I have been on Paxil 6 weeks now. I am feeling so much better it is a miracle. In this experience I realized that I had some issues that I needed to face and some grudges that I needed to let go that had built up over the years. I thought that I would never experience another normal day again because my anxiety attacks and depression were so severe I thought my life was over. I tried to avoid taking medicines and fighting my anxiety off myself but anxiety started to take over my life.

March 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by happy face:

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: I have neen taking 25 mg of paroxetine for 5 years and have had 1 panic attack and basically no more anxiety. My overall mental and physical health has increased dramatically due to paroxetine. It takes around a month to take full effect and side effects slowly disappear. Go get a gym membership and work out 3 to 4 days a week, be conscious of what you eat and your quality of life and overall happiness will return.

February 29, 2012 12:53 AM

For Depression: Paroxetine stopped working for me after about 8 years on it. Thus commenced a mad scramble to find a new solution. We began by increasing the dosage and switching to name brand Paxil - to no avail. Then I tried adding Wellbutrin, still no help. Then I went to Viibryd without experiencing relief, and finally Pristiq. I found out there was no good way to taper off Pristiq, so I stopped all meds for about a week and a half. Finally, a psychiatric nurse practitioner put me back on the paroxetine, but this time with the addition of Abilify. That seems to be doing the trick. After a horrible two and a half months, I am feeling steadily better. Everyone's different, of course, but hopefully my experience will help someone else.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate