User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 105 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 382 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by jj137: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I have taken Paxil on and off for about five years. I started to take it after suffering from overwhelming anxiety and panic around the time that my marriage fell apart. My GP put me on this medicine instead of Xanax (which was working) because it was not addictive, etc. And indeed, taking Paxil most decidedly reduces my anxiety and gives me a better quality of life. I stopped taking it about a year ago, and have noticed an exponential growth in stress the last few months. I've decided to start taking it again, and was doing some online reading when I came across this site. And so I decided to put my two cents in the bucket.

March 5, 2011 9:09 PM
Review by JSublime: User Rating:

Pexeva (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I never new life could feel so good. I wish I had this 20 years ago things would have been so different, and my husbands life would have been much easier.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 19, 2011 9:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: I've been experiencing panic attacks for over a year, at first I thought maybe it was a phase that would pass but they have become constant and are really affecting my life. My doctor prescribed 10mg dosage for the first 2 weeks then 20mg from then on and I take them before bed. I been on it for a week and 3days and experiencing headaches and when I wake up to fast I feel like the room is moving and I can't focus my vision. Hopefully the side effects go away and I can experience the benefits. I've been reading lots of different opinions, mostly about the withdrawal symptoms. I'm 18 so I don't want to be hooked on it forever then again if it helps my panic disorder and doesn't cause any major health issues, why not?

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 14, 2011 4:18 PM
Review by b-rent: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I've been on Paxil for almost a year now. My panic attacks where so bad, as soon as I wake up boom panic attack almost all day! It was bad guys Paxil is a God send.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2011 8:10 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: For the most part I would have to say that Paxil saved my life. I suffered from severe panic attacks, several a day, for years. I've been on every anti-depressant and anti-anxiolytic out there but none helped like Paxil. I have been on it for 12 years now. The side effects that I have dealt with are an 80 pound weight gain over the period I have been on it, I crave food and carbs constantly, I yawn often throughout the day and experience fatigue that can get drop dead tired around the time of my menses. I too have tried to get off of Paxil many times only to suffer severe withdrawal symptoms.

February 3, 2011 12:49 AM
Review by lazytlc: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Been on Paxil for about 13 years up to 40 mg a day. If I miss a pill or two start to get like electric shocks through my body, so make sure you take them daily. Still have Xanax as back up. Sometimes wonder if the Paxil works good enough. Lately stress level is so high and life events are just driving me crazy.

January 29, 2011 11:37 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

paroxetine for Anxiety and Stress: I found this medicine to be extremely helpful. Initially it made me very tired. I have been on it over two years. One side effect for me has been a gain of about 30 pounds since taking it. I have tried to quit and or skip taking it before. Don't do it! I always have nightmares or at least bad dreams if I miss a dose. Stopping cold-turkey caused horrible light-headedness and dizziness. Talk to your doctor BEFORE you stop taking it. It is definitely worth these side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 23, 2011 10:35 AM
Review by Frank McKimm: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Been on it for 12 years, and couldn't stand the anxiety attacks any more, now I hardly have any attacks. This medicine works for me.

January 22, 2011 3:11 PM
Review by n0thing: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I've now been on Paroxetine for about 10 years, for severe, chronic depression. I was on Prozac for roughly 15 years before it appeared to lose its effectiveness, so I was prescribed this instead. My initial dose was 40mg daily. It was initially extremely effective as an anti-depressant, and I went from being hospitalized for a week every year for my own safety, to 6 years without a hospitalization. Just a 'blip' in mood every year instead of a crash. However, I'm now on 80mg, and the side-effects at this dose are appalling - chronic insomnia, 100lb weight gain, constant tiredness, muscle aches, migraines, memory loss, zero libido and all-round apathy. Attempting to drop my dosage results in uncontrollable weeping, numbness and terror.

January 12, 2011 8:13 PM
Review by maureen1206: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I was put on Paxil for anxiety, depression and OCD. I have loved it! The only side effect is a bit of tension/anxiety that they say will pass. But the big problem has been the fact that I cannot orgasm anymore. I have been on Paxil on for 5 weeks, but noticed this problem in the first week. I have an appointment with the doctor to have an update and discuss this issue. Will post the results as I don't really see anyone else posting what has helped with this.

January 12, 2011 5:00 AM
Review by diphenman: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: 1st week: Paxil worked for my depression and anxiety instantly which is out of the norm. I was nauseous all the time and experienced yawning quite frequently, this went away as time went on. Paxil had an almost euphoric feel for me, I was laughing at everything and enjoying life. 1st month: Yawning still exists, euphoria has worn off as well as any anti-depressant effect. However still for works for anxiety. 3rd month and beyond: Outside of excessive sleeping and somewhat fatigue feeling Paxil is awesome for anxiety, but the antidepressant effect wore off rather quickly for me. Recommend for anxiety, not recommended for depression.

January 9, 2011 5:39 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil CR (paroxetine) for Depression: After 4 unsuccessful medications, this one made me the most balanced and even.

January 8, 2011 11:24 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Tonight was only my 4th night on the pill. My doctor has me on 10 mg at night for the first week. So far, the side effects are very uncomfortable. I mostly feel them right after taking my dose. My mouth is so dry, I'm nauseous, gassy, I can't sleep and I'm exhausted. I know the doctor said it could take weeks to work, so I'm not knocking it yet. Also, some reviews I have read say that some of the side effects disappear and I am certainly counting on that. So far, I haven't seen much change in my anxiety and hopefully it comes soon.

January 8, 2011 5:24 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I've been on Paxil for two months now and have seen significant improvement in my mood (no longer crying for no reason) and decreased feelings of anxiety. No side effects. The medication has also helped me deal with my PTSD. I'm able to breath and make good decisions in situations that would otherwise be triggering. After years of attempting to fix myself and deal with my problems on my own, I finally asked my doctor (with analysis by a counselor) for help. Paxil is just the right thing for me. I still don't like the idea of being on medication, but the benefits are too great.

January 5, 2011 7:16 AM
Review by 50 yrs: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Depression is gone, but so is sex drive.

January 4, 2011 7:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Surprisingly this is the only SSRI I have been able to tolerate at low doses with beneficial responses and minimal side effects. Taking 20 mg and it's doing well at 1 year to minimize depression and panic attacks, though I tried going to 30 and became insomniac, down to 20 again, no problem. No sexual side effects at this low dose. No major weight gain, though I am a bit concerned about diabetes, A1C is climbing despite (or as a result of) my efforts - not sure if the Paxil is behind that too.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 23, 2010 10:29 AM
Review by RR96: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking Paxil for roughly 4 months. I started on a low dose of 10mg per day then my doctor increased that to 20mg per day. I started taking Paxil because I began having panic attacks. At first I really didn't notice a big difference, but as the weeks went along, I stopped having panic attacks. Additionally, Paxil has been very helpful with controlling my mood swings. In the past I've been known to get a little agitated quickly and often. That has ceased as well. Side effects: At first I was tired, but this is no longer an issue. I feel fine in that regard. The sexual side effects are minor. I don't think about sex as much, but getting in the mood has not been an issue. It does take longer to have an orgasm.

December 13, 2010 1:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have already made a prior post but I left out one piece of information: The withdrawal is harsh but I found that by taking NeoCitran I felt 100% better and free of the side effects.

December 6, 2010 10:09 PM
Review by average joe: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I had anxiety that was getting more and more severe as the days went by. It was really hard to be around people. I would get nervous and stiffen up and also feel very paranoid that people noticed my discomfort. I started to take Paxil starting at 10 mg. For the first little while nothing was different about my anxiety but soon it was so amazing. I was talking so much without getting nervous. I could look people in the eye and could enjoy my life. All of a sudden things were much more bearable. The only bad part was that it made me kinda absent minded like I didn't really pay attention much, but overall was extremely happy with the results and am glad I only have to take 10 mg a day. Hope my entry helps.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 4, 2010 11:01 PM
Review by Nawch0s cally: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: Suicidal, depressed and anxious for 9 years, finally decided I could not handle it on my own anymore and decided to seek help. My doctor prescribed me Paxil and 20 minutes after I took it I no longer wanted to kill myself (this feeling was often, all day everyday almost). It's now been 3 days and still going good. There are however side effects, loss of appetite (not good I'm too thin already), blurred vision (very difficult for an artist), insomnia, impossible to reach ejaculation, also have experienced some increased anxiety. Despite these side affects im faced with a choice, accept the side effects or continue to live my life feeling sad and lonely.

December 3, 2010 12:17 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine): Started using Paxil as an alternative for estrogen therapy going through menopausal stage. I had no idea that the withdrawal symptoms would be so horrific. I have tried 3 times to ween off but the symptoms of brain zaps, that cause painful electrical jolts from head to toe, and the uncontrollable crying make it almost impossible to work full time and ween off this medication.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 23, 2010 9:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have had anxiety all of my life. Didn't know until I finally took a serious look with my wife. Doctor prescribed 10 mg. Had muscle restlessness, chattering teeth and insomnia, which I already had and Paxil made it worse. I've had sex for a while i=with no orgasm and no ejaculation. Additionally, Paxil makes me have the urge to drink alcohol were there was none before. Going to my doctor to get something else.

November 16, 2010 7:08 PM
Review by yosher: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Paxil increased anxiety and shakiness and I experienced all of the side effects listed the first week I took it and I was miserable.

October 26, 2010 9:18 PM
Review by imozarker: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Started Paxil 15 some years ago for anxiety and depression. I'm on the clinical maximum dosage of 75 mg CR. I had no side effects and it has helped me greatly. I also take Xanax.

October 20, 2010 2:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Works great to keep me from being anxious. I take 40 mg daily for last 5 yrs. The only thing I don't like is the weight gain and I need lots of sleep. My leg also jerks when I sleep. Until I read the reviews I didn't think about Paxil causing it. It also keeps me from getting really angry easily. If I miss doses my family knows it immediately because I get very emotional, weepy or angry.

October 19, 2010 7:17 PM