User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 2 reviews 40 medications

Depression 110 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 412 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Review by BZZ87:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I took paroxetine (Paxil) for 2 months. It took a while to feel any effect from it. It did help regulate my moods a little bit, but after a month and a half it started giving me stomach pains and feelings of hopelessness and suicide. I am still experiencing the effects of not taking it anymore. It's been about a week since I quit. I was going to taper the dosage but it just made me too sick. I am sure this medicine is great for others but my body just did not agree with it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2011 11:39 AM

Review by mrsdracomalfoy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took Paxil for nearly 9 months and it seemed to cure all my ailments. I didn't realize how many things were attributed to my anxiety including, chest pains, nausea, headaches, etc. I really felt great (after a week or so of insomnia which is a common side-effect). I recently stopped taking Paxil since I was feeling so great. That is really tough. I had awful dizziness (but again this is to be expected) for about 10 days. Several weeks later I am realizing I felt much better on Paxil and am thinking of returning to it.

August 30, 2011 2:54 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: Has helped me tremendously with anxiety and depression for almost a decade. Don't recall any side effects though. Start on a low dose and always taper it down slowly when going off of it or you will feel crazy!

August 29, 2011 11:48 AM

Review by paxilguy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I took Paxil 20mg for 8 years. It is excellent for depression, anxiety and social anxiety. I completely lost all anxiety, shyness and experienced relaxed euphoria. I excelled at work and dealing with people. However it is very sedating, I would drink coffee all day while on it. I look back on those 8 years and it all seems like a blur. Sleep very deeply and a lot but at least I was happy. I'm now in my mid thirties and was recently switched to Celexa because I started finding it difficult to achieve orgasm on Paxil. Bad decision...I now experience anxiety from the moment I wake up, shortness of breath, agoraphobia, terrible and obsessive thoughts, and racing thoughts and a feeling that I am going crazy. I'm going back on Paxil.

August 25, 2011 3:01 AM

Review by Momof2FightingAnxiety:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder/Bipolar/Manic Depressive: Today will be my 7th Dose, I am having a love hate relationship with my Paxil, it made me EXTREMELY tired for the first 4 days, headaches on day 4 & 5, Dizziness day 2-7. I feel spaced out & every morning I wake up & want to stop taking the meds because of how I feel. I am not like "myself" BUT, I didnt like myself to begin with, I suffered from panic attacks that last for days on end with only relief from Xanax. I would have anger outbursts towards the ones I love the most. Now, although my world feels off balance, I have noticed less anger and more smiling. I am going to stick with it for another week, even though I know tomorrow I will want to stop again. Just hope side effects lessen.

August 23, 2011 9:41 AM

Review by Daycareprovidingmomof2:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: On day one, I noticed a calmness come about me. Now I'm on day 6 of 20 mg and still calm but, not emotionless. I love that I'm not quick to anger anymore. I am having minor panic attacks however. The doctor said it may take a full 6 weeks to feel the full effects. I was having serious panic attacks at night in my sleep and those have gone away. I keep clenching my jaw, that started on day 2. I am really tired like I've taken a Benadryl and I have to nap or I wont make it to bedtime. I am enjoying life much more though and I'm seeing all of the things I missed because I couldn't relax or enjoy the moment. I have two months of pills and then the doctor wants to see me so hopefully shes not going to pull me off. I feel like a new woman.

August 18, 2011 10:06 AM

Review by JSSR:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been on Paxil for 10 years with no side effects. Great to relieve anxiety and depression. I recently had to take predisone and it has thrown everything out of whack. The doctor increased my Paxil by 10 MG. Been on the increased dose for 16 days and have not seen a great improvement. I hope and pray it kicks in soon this raises my dose to 30 MG from 20 that I was on for all those years.

August 3, 2011 12:13 PM

Review by Ash00000:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: Generalized anxiety disorder - 22 year old male. Paxil did help with my anxiety however, it made things seem more dull. The things I used to enjoy became boring. I stopped taking it after 2 months. I'm now starting Effexor XR. No other side effects.

August 1, 2011 11:58 AM

Review by ballsy:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I took this medicine in college and it really did help with the incessant worrying. However, it made me a careless pleasure seeker who engaged in risky and unproductive behavior. Needless to say I received a 0.0 GPA the one semester I took it. I did enjoy my time however and still have fond memories but know now that I have too many lazy tendencies to take this medicine.

July 30, 2011 4:30 PM

Review by Tisha317:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I was on Paxil for a month. I noticed a significant difference the first two weeks and then went back to my usual, on edge self, after that. Now, I'm trying Celexa. I know I need to take something. I'm just not sure which one it is. My doctor brought up Viibryd at my doctor's visit.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2011 10:09 AM

Review by Joe D.:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I took Paxil for 5 years following the death of my father. I suppose I've always felt moderately uncomfortable in size able groups and after my dad passed I was also very down in the dumps. Paxil helped immediately and made me way more sociable than ever before. I had confidence to say what I wanted to say and clearer thoughts than I've ever had. I've now been off for 4 months and am struggling again with the same issues. I've tried turning to herbal remedies like rhodiola, St johns wort, 5-HTP, and fish oil. Together they make me feel alright I guess but it's just not the same. If it weren't for the sexual side effects, I wouldn't hesitate to get back on Paxil but I'd like to get my wife pregnant soon so this is not an immediate option.

July 22, 2011 9:32 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Paxil not only helped with panic attacks, it cured me of my fear of heights! The down side was the 40 pound weight gain over 3 months (exercise didn't help). Vivid dreams and it took over 40 minutes to achieve orgasm (no complaints from the wife!)

July 21, 2011 8:23 PM

Review by Opalgirl:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: I am 23 years old and I have been taking Paxil since I was 11. It has worked extremely well for me over the years and I have had little to no problems with my OCD. When I was 17 I tried to go off the medication (with the help of my doctor) and it was extremely hard. I became really depressed and had horrible headaches and nausea. I decided to go back on the medication because it wasn't the right time in my life to deal with so much stress. FYI, if I skip/ forget a pill I get really bad nausea and I tend to bruise and scar very easily. If you are looking for something to treat your OCD this might be the medicine for you.

July 2, 2011 8:10 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: All I can said is that before I started taking Paxil I had terrible panic attacks, was about to lose my job. I started to take Paxil 10 mgs a day and I am here to say it works wonders. I have not had a panic attack since. Paxil has been a real lifesaver to me.

June 23, 2011 9:06 PM

Review by mimikik:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Terrible withdrawal symptoms.

June 20, 2011 12:39 AM

Review by cindydee:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I have been taking Paxil 20mg for about 4 months now. I suffered with anxiety which caused lightheadedness and shortness of breath for two years before I decided to try medication. When I first started, I had more anxiety than ever and some depression which I never had before taking this medication. It took about six weeks to feel the effects and it works. To those out there struggling with this medication just give it the 6-8 weeks to work before giving up. Also, try relaxing things like baths and reading and even exercise. I finally feel like myself again. I have some rare moments of anxiety but nothing at all like I had before seeking help. This is a good medication.

June 15, 2011 9:19 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: It has really made living life easier for me; but the only downside is that you become so un-shy that you can end up getting yourself into a lot of trouble. You care much less about the usual aspects of life such as school work or deadlines. It basically made me more prone to risky behavior.

June 14, 2011 10:52 PM

Review by MrsTexas:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: I do great when on this medicine but if I run out.. I feel nauseated, my head feels like it's swimming, I feel mad and snap easily. So don't run or stop without your Doctor's help. I see my Doctor today, I can't wait.

May 31, 2011 11:12 AM

Review by Amy4:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Dysautonomia: I started taking atenolol 12.5mg for my near syncope condition. I was having near fainting spells-took a tilt table test and starting feeling bad after 18 minutes. I was given a stressor around that time and then passed out. I needed more than the atenolol to be able to function and work, etc. so my cardiologist put me on 10 mg Paxil. I had to up it to 20mg and have been on this cocktail of medicines for approximately 4 years now. I have some moments when I feel lightheaded but nothing severe. This has been working for me pretty well though.

May 27, 2011 4:55 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I developed an acute social anxiety disorder in my early 20's. After trying 10mg of Paxil, my doctor upped the dose to 20mg. I have been taking that dosage for the past 10 years. My social anxiety is much more manageable than it was, although I still have my moments. I hate to increase the dosage, however, because the sexual side effects have been bad for me. Climax is next to impossible unless conditions are perfect, and even then it is a struggle. My sex drive is also down, possibly because of the disappointment the lack of climax creates for me and my wife. Personally, I am happy with the results of Paxil in terms of my social anxiety, but the sexual side effects are rough. Good luck.

May 25, 2011 1:23 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: I have been on Paxil for 10 years now. I maxed out on the dosage at 60mg/day. It served me well and improved my anxiety symptoms. Having gotten married 2 months ago, and anticipating getting pregnant, I began to wean myself off. I went from 60mg/day to 40, then to 20, then 10, and now 5mg/day. Each time I started to feel better and adjusted to the lower dose, I lowered it again. The withdrawals have been awful. I have been so sick for the last several weeks. Nauseous, dizzy, insomnia, "zaps", no appetite, no energy. Now at 5mg/day, I feel better. The withdrawals are now quite tolerable. My next step is 2.5mg/day, then done.

May 24, 2011 6:31 PM

Review by smallworldlover:

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: I was on Paxil since I was 16. I didn't know how good it was until I went off of it 16 years later. Major panic attacks and life felt like it was not worth living! Tried other SSRI's which didn't work and made me feel worse! (Zoloft and Pristiq were the worst!) Going back to Paxil. Never should have quit it in the first place! I hope to get the joy I once had back!

May 13, 2011 8:41 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I have Bipolar 1 Disorder. Paxil is great! Mainly used for Depression also PTSD and anxiety. I take 40 mg a day for last 4 or so years. Caution do not abruptly stop Paxil if you've been on it for 2 months or more. Severe body shocks happen during withdrawal. They feel like electrical impulses throughout the body. My brain gets "heavy" and "dizzy" and I can't stop it or concentrate on anything. I have gone off Paxil and have been to the ER for withdrawal. The shocks are the worst and unbearable for me. 4 days without Paxil I begin to get these "shocks" I take my Paxil daily, try not to skip doses and I recommend you do the same. Doctors have told me it is one of the worst withdrawals comparable to heroin withdrawals. Taper Taper Taper!

April 30, 2011 8:50 AM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: This is my 2nd bout of depression. I am in early 60's and had my first bout about 10 years ago. Paxil has been the most effective anti-depressant for me. Major live with side effect is sexual - great erections but hard to ejaculate. Otherwise Paxil does excellent job of controlling my depression. Each episode for me last about 6 months of treatment. Don't forget to taper off according to doctors advice.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2011 10:28 PM

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: I was prescribed Paxil for depression/anxiety and it caused me to become shaky. My hands would shake, I would bounce my legs while sitting but the worst was the blurry vision! These side effects lasted about ten days after stopping the medication.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate