User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 40 medications

Depression 117 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 487 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me. "

Anonymous March 5, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I took Paxil for a total of 10 years for anxiety and panic attacks. I was put on it at a young age, but I don't see how I could have gotten through those ten years without it. Paxil is great and works wonders for anxiety, but I didn't want to be on it my whole life. I'm now 20 and doing great without it. I think the medicine gave me a sense of confidence after a while that made me realize I could get through my anxiety on my own. A confidence that helped me find my own coping mechanisms for my anxiety so that I no longer needed to rely on the Paxil anymore. I highly suggest Paxil to anyone with anxiety disorder looking for a medication to help."

Brittany B (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road."

dc1530 February 20, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication."

sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2013

For Depression: "On 2 months of 20mg per day. The first 5 weeks were not bad with side effects at all. I noticed a slight mood elevation but nothing more. In week 6 I hit some side effects like insomnia and had 6 hours of bad sleep over 5 days. Completely miserable time. Seemed like once that passed, I got the benefits significantly."

Drukus February 7, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!"

FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2013

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "It's only been one week since starting Paxil (20mg) and I can honestly say I feel great! I have no side effects. I will post once a week and let you know my progress!!"

Hannabanana January 24, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication has evened me out so well so far. Been on it for about a month and what a different. I couldn't lose my temper if I wanted to, and my anxiety and irrational fears have subsided. Very calm since on this... so much that I'm back with my ex-boyfriend who can now trust me not to argue anymore!"

luv2gallop (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!"

1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2012

For Panic Disorder: "Throughout my whole pregnancy and even after (my son is 5 months old) I was under a lot of emotional stress. About two and a half months after he was born I started having what I thought were heart attacks so I went to the hospital. Come to find out I have severe panic attacks and saw my PCP the next day and she prescribed me Paxil. The only things I've noticed is that I've lost a lot of weight. I was a healthy 120 and am now 109 lbs. I also bruise extremely easily and could sleep all day long. I still have slight panic attacks but all in all, they have pretty much gone away. I also have times where I seem to be very focused. I highly recommend it to anyone."

babymommaj (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil. "

CP15856 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Caused me to have very bad headaches. Light sensitivity. Dizziness."

PurpleBondGirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "This has been a miracle for me. I've been on it for two weeks and its already helping. The only thing is I have terr"

cellamonster (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil was a nightmare for me. I took it for 1 week and I could not sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch and experienced even more intense anxiety. For the first time in my life I felt suicidal with increased racing thoughts. It wasn't for me. Maybe I should've hung in there longer, but I was concerned about my own safety."

nopaxil (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2012

For Anxiety: "I was suffering with anxiety depression and obsessive compulsive disorder when I was 17. It got so bad that I was willing to try anything to help me even if it was just a little bit. I was prescribed paroxetine and the first day I took it, I could not believe how much better I felt. The anxiety was completely gone and the excessive negative thinking and worrying was gone. It was honestly a miracle pill for me. I'm 27 years old now and have been struggling with stress and OCD again. I'm wondering if I should see my doctor to give me a prescription for this again!"

val210 (taken for 10 years or more) November 13, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Had terrible dreams like they were actually real. Felt like I was in a cloud all the time"

Anonymous November 1, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I first tried Paxil in 2003, after trying everything and I do mean every antidepressant on the market. I couldn't believe in less than a week I was already feeling relief. My mistake: I kept going on and off of it. It eventually stopped helping. So for 3 years I went on Celexa, which helped less than Paxil but more than others. Recently I began getting severe generalized anxiety dsorder along with my Depression. I finally decided to give the Paxil a try again since so much time had lapsed since I'd been on it. Well...it worked again. Feeling better than I have in a long time. Message: Everybody is different so Paxil won't work for all. But if it does you..STAY ON IT. Don't try the on and off thing. Good Luck!"

Summer1989 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 31, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil has changed my life! Before: paranoia about people watching me, extreme anxiety walking or being in public places, such as cafeterias, college campus, small groups of people. Mind blankness during conversations, or "social lock up" - inability to interact with others due to severe anxiety. Always woke up feeling tired even if I had a full nights sleep. Side Effects (lasted 2 weeks): 20mg daily. Severe fatigue/sleepiness. A little dizziness if dose was taken late. Headache the 1st two days. Now: Began working really well 7-8 weeks in. No more social anxiety, I feel normal walking around & talking to people. Also I sleep better than ever. Overall anxiety level has gone down & I no longer ruminate/worry constantly! Paxil rocks!"

College Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2012

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression: "Can tell a huge difference just after one week. Very pleased"

lexus985 (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My son started this almost 3 months ago, he is 17. It had helped him alot! He was throwing up at bus stop with just thinking of going to school. Constantly had stomach cramps and "the runs". He would never go into a restaurant or a store and he is getting better at both. I'm so glad for him because of this medicine, it gave him his life back."

Anonymous October 19, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "If you read the other reviews, they are all correct in saying you must NEVER stop taking this medication suddenly. Coming off this medicine was one of the most difficult things. You must do it very slowly and possibly add some other medications to ease the side effects. It's so important to have a good doctor to guide you. "

rmaxwell9 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Paxil was an absolute life changer for me 8 years before 'pooping out' last year. Alcohol abuse was almost certainly the cause of it's ineffectiveness & I have learned my lesson. Many negative reviews on the web describe the severe withdrawal symptoms. I count myself lucky that Paxil worked wonders for me WITHOUT any withdrawal periods. Not everyone experiences this withdrawal so if you're here reading experiences & worrying about possible future withdrawal don't assume it will happen to you. I am now on mirtazapine which is ok but I really miss the feel good 'boost' & confidence that Paxil gave me. I used to call this my 'serotonin high'. I hope to find another SSRI that worked similar to Paxil for me. Zoloft & citalopram failed."

Anonymous October 9, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "It has been incredibly helpful with depression, muscle tension, PMS, and premenopause and decreased migraines. I take 25mg extended release."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Took this med for a month at 20mg and I was one of those who began to notice positive effects overnight. It improved my mood exponentially and since I've never had a sex drive (from depression) I actually gained one while on Paxil. Sex was much more pleasurable. Unfortunately I thought I could find a med that was even BETTER, so was put on Cymbalta and Abilify, but have had miniscule improvements. Tomorrow I'm going to start back up on the Paxil."

SaraxoJDqt (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Hot Flashes: "I have been going through menopause for over 8 years now. I have tried everything during that time. Each medicine worked for a certain time frame, then it was no longer effective. After reading a research study about the effects of Paxil to ease hot flashes I decided to give it a try. Paxil knocked the severe flashes out while decreasing the frequency and severity of the flashes that still occur. Also, Paxil calmed my stress/anxiety which also contributed to the decrease in frequency. "

Anonymous September 12, 2012

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 11 ...Next