User Reviews for Paroxetine

Also known as: Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva

Learn more about Paroxetine.

Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder 3 reviews 39 medications

Depression 119 reviews 75 medications

7.2
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Dysthymia 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Trichotillomania 0 reviews 3 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Paroxetine reviews 499 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Paroxetine

Paxil (paroxetine) for Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been taking 30 mg of Paxil daily for about 4 years. It truly changed my life. I have had more issues with anxiety than depression, I couldn't sleep, I was angry all the time for no reason, I had constant pressure on my chest- Paxil put an end to the sleepless nights, nipped the depression in the bud and took my anxiety level down by about 90%. The only problems are if I miss a pill I get those nasty electric shock feelings, I feel like my emotions are almost a bit too subdued (can't cry, sometimes you got to pet or out) and lastly I have NO sex drive. For this reason I'm in the process of tapering off and my doctor is putting me on Viibryd. But if that doesn't work as well as Paxil I'll definitely switch back!"

Wessican (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have taken Paxil 10mg for 6 weeks for chronic post traumatic stress disorder. It has helped a lot already decreased my anxiety about 20%. I'm going to try to go up to 20mg and see how much that works, because my anxiety is still moderately high. The only side effect I got from it is sedation, I can take it and soon after I take it I fall asleep. It has also helped my depression, I can now start to function again. With this Paxil I'm almost out of my depression. I also took Celexa before Paxil and it worked for about a year and that was it, so that's why I'm on Paxil now, and it works 10 times better than Celexa."

clrj April 7, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I started Paxil 1 week ago and I have only had one little attack. It has given me more energy for work! But I do find myself going home after work and taking a nap! The only bad thing about it so far is I'm clenching my jaw a lot causing my back teeth to hurt and can't really chew that well, may be why I am losing weight also! But it has made my life a lot easier so far! From before I'd have to miss work because of my anxiety!"

Yell (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Hello again everyone! I have been on Paxil now for 9 weeks and it has still been a very beneficial addition to my life. I've started to feel like the real me now. I don't feel subdued or Zombied out like some people report. I started on 10mg then my Dr. moved me to 20mg about 2 weeks ago. The only main side effect I've had in transitioning to the higher dosage was severe mania for the first couple of days. It wore off significantly as the days passed. As for the weight gain that "Paxil causes", I think it's just that I'm not so anxious to the point of nausea and disgust in food. I love eating and enjoy my food again! My biggest positive in Paxil is that my generalized anxiety is SEVERELY reduced. Panic attacks are down 85% and I feel great!"

FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2013

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I've been taking 20 mg Paxil for about 11 years now for anxiety, and though it makes me calmer it has several side effects that I don't like. 1. Decreased libido/decreased orgasm 2. Constipation 3. Decreased energy. A friend of mine also told me I seem more "delayed" after I've been taking it regularly. Sometimes I take half a pill or skip days when I feel I need to get more things done, or I want my boyfriend to be happy. But I notice if I skip it for more than 3 days in a row I feel "crazy" and hyper and scattered. I definitely get more irritable when I'm not on it, but I "feel" more emotionally and notice I dance more often in the kitchen with my daughter when not under Paxil's control."

wiscarpau March 26, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "I went on Paxil a year after father died 15 years ago. I was told it was non-addictive and started on a low-mid dosage, 20mg. It helped and was on it for about 10-12 years. I just accepted that I needed it. Everyone is correct about not missing doses - if I missed 2-3 days, I'd get very emotional, cry at drop of a hat, etc. - which I unfortunately took as proof that I needed to stay on it - I didn't understand it was the withdrawal effects! Over time, with ups/downs in career, I gradually increased dosages, going to 40 mg/day. In late 2010, after out of work for 2-3 years, I went back to general dr and he prescribed 60mg/day. Within a couple months, I was in downward spiral. "

PerplexedRePaxil (taken for 10 years or more) March 22, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "I was able to cope with people better and it eased me from flying off the handle. The downfall was when I owed my Dr money and she refused to refill. The withdrawal is terrible and now I am back to the anger issue."

trishlm March 22, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Before taking Paxil, I was on several different antidepressants which didn't work. At one point I had to be hospitalized, but since being on Paxil I am no longer depressed. Only side effect that I have experienced is dry mouth. It has been 17 years that I have been symptom free!"

Happy B March 21, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Works good for disassociation and also anxiety and panic attacks, however has a lot of sexual side effects as in your erections are gone, but also you won't be interested in sex. This was reversed for the most part (around 70%) after being off it for a year and being on Celexa instead. Celexa allows for erections, however lowers sex drive as well. Would always rather not be interested in sex than panic and fear stricken so I have to say Paxil worked."

Cat Guy March 20, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "Hi, I'm 36 yr old male and never had panic attacks or anxiety. About about 3 weeks ago I had a massive panic attack and then I started having chronic anxiety attacks that would last for most part of the starting from the very moment I wake up. My heart beat was constantly at 90 bpm, I lost weight very, very quickly and and had no energy left. Doctor gave me Xanax but it just made me sleepy. I thought the anxiety would never go away and that I'll lose my job and home and my independence. I went back to my doctor and he gave me Paxil, reluctantly, I started on 10mg for a week. I up'd my dose to 20mg on the 7th day, and until the 14th day no effect (only side effects) but then a miracle. My anxiety is all but gone on the 15th day and no panic."

notpaniced (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "Paxil saved me from panic attacks and anxiety. It has worked for me for years. I would definitely recommend."

Amy3413 March 16, 2013

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This med really helped me through a difficult time. I had ongoing GI illnesses/food allergies that just wiped me out. It took that to turn to a pharmaceutical aid. It really did work. It made me drowsy so I had to adjust from taking it in the morning until bedtime. After my other physical trials passed (my GI system working properly), I did find that I gained a lot of weight and was a bit flat emotionally. Even my hubs commented on seeming a bit too indifferent. I chose to carefully wean off the medicined. Weaning off the medicine takes a good deal of effort - be prepared for that. Yet, I was thankful I had this medicine while I really needed it."

XN mom March 8, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety and Stress: "Paxil worked well for the first few months and then stopped. My doc upped my dose and the same thing. I took it for 6 months from half a tab to two tabs a day. I gained 15lbs and became more depressed and lazy to the point that I wouldn't get out of bed. I also had side effects of agitation, vivid dreams, and problems concentrating. It did not worked great at first but is not for me. "

Anonymous March 5, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I took Paxil for a total of 10 years for anxiety and panic attacks. I was put on it at a young age, but I don't see how I could have gotten through those ten years without it. Paxil is great and works wonders for anxiety, but I didn't want to be on it my whole life. I'm now 20 and doing great without it. I think the medicine gave me a sense of confidence after a while that made me realize I could get through my anxiety on my own. A confidence that helped me find my own coping mechanisms for my anxiety so that I no longer needed to rely on the Paxil anymore. I highly suggest Paxil to anyone with anxiety disorder looking for a medication to help."

Brittany B (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2013

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I was diagnosed with severe depression. I am 61 years old, and I had no previous problems. I started on Paxil 14 months ago. It took 3 months to take full effect. My doctor started me on 20 mg and then 30 mg to kick start it, and it worked. I tried to wean off, but I went too fast. I just went back to 30 mg a day (20/9pm 10/7am) a week ago. It hasn't taken full effect yet. I would recommend Paxil, but realize that this medication is very slow to work and dosage changes take time. Everyone is different. It has helped me, but it has been a long road."

dc1530 February 20, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "This is by far the best medication I've ever taken for my anxiety. It doesn't cause any weird side effects and it makes me a happier less stressed person all around. I had to stop taking it when I got pregnant but when I have my baby I plan to get back on my medication."

sweetsuckle (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2013

For Depression: "On 2 months of 20mg per day. The first 5 weeks were not bad with side effects at all. I noticed a slight mood elevation but nothing more. In week 6 I hit some side effects like insomnia and had 6 hours of bad sleep over 5 days. Completely miserable time. Seemed like once that passed, I got the benefits significantly."

Drukus February 7, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "I have had very bad anxiety and subsequent depression now for about 8 years. I also come from a background of extreme emotional abuse which I think was the largest contributor of my panic and high anxiety and fear. I just began Paxil last week....WOW...I really don't know why I waited so long to seek medication advice. Unfortunately it took a suicide attempt to get me where I am today but even after 1 WEEK I feel just so much better. I'm not having severe side effects becasue my Dr. told me to start gradual, which I did and I think that lessened the side effects signifigantly! I will keep updating with my progress but so far so good!"

FormerlyAnti-Meds (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Anxiety: "It's only been one week since starting Paxil (20mg) and I can honestly say I feel great! I have no side effects. I will post once a week and let you know my progress!!"

Hannabanana January 24, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication has evened me out so well so far. Been on it for about a month and what a different. I couldn't lose my temper if I wanted to, and my anxiety and irrational fears have subsided. Very calm since on this... so much that I'm back with my ex-boyfriend who can now trust me not to argue anymore!"

luv2gallop (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2013

Paxil (paroxetine) for Panic Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder in 2001. I immediately started taking Paxil. At 40mg/day I felt GREAT! No more panic attacks and my concentration improved significantly! For those that find that Paxil does NOT work, please have your thyroid checked. Thyroid problems are closely interconnected with anxiety/depression disorders! I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Autoimmune Disease of the Thyroid as well as Hypothyroid (underactive thyroid) at the same time I was diagnosed with my Panic Disorder. My Paxil combined with Synthroid (a thyroid hormone) has put me back to normal. It's been 11 years now! Cheers!"

1st Grade Teacher (taken for 10 years or more) December 28, 2012

For Panic Disorder: "Throughout my whole pregnancy and even after (my son is 5 months old) I was under a lot of emotional stress. About two and a half months after he was born I started having what I thought were heart attacks so I went to the hospital. Come to find out I have severe panic attacks and saw my PCP the next day and she prescribed me Paxil. The only things I've noticed is that I've lost a lot of weight. I was a healthy 120 and am now 109 lbs. I also bruise extremely easily and could sleep all day long. I still have slight panic attacks but all in all, they have pretty much gone away. I also have times where I seem to be very focused. I highly recommend it to anyone."

babymommaj (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "After about one week I was out and active. Engaging with others again and doing much better at work. I also do not have the desire to sleep all day. I have lost weight also due to increased exercise and a minimal loss of appetite. Side effects are minimal, but sex is impossible. I take Paxil 40mg once a day and Xanax 1mg twice. I am a new person! I tried Prozac, Effexor, Seroquel and Lamictal with few benefits. Paxil is by far the best medicine I have ever tried. I am nervous however when I read about the horrible side effects of missed doses and stopping Paxil. "

CP15856 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "Caused me to have very bad headaches. Light sensitivity. Dizziness."

PurpleBondGirl (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2012

Paxil (paroxetine) for Depression: "This has been a miracle for me. I've been on it for two weeks and its already helping. The only thing is I have terr"

cellamonster (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2012